PDA

View Full Version : Big day tomorrow! E3...

Deuce
06-15-2015, 06:17 PM
So tomorrow E3 goes live and at some point Frontier will make some sort of announcement about their second 'self published' game. Which sounds like I'm writing a thread about Frontier here, but really, it's very much about Atari.

It goes without saying there is zero chance of another Atari blog until news of Frontier's press release is known. And frankly it seems beyond doubt that whatever Frontier reveal, it'll be a good few days before Atari make any sort of further reveal about RCTW. My guess right now is that blog number 11 content will be entirely dependant on what Frontier release.

Of course it's still possible Frontier won't mention CPT at E3, but this seems unlikely, unless the game production they are going to show is something entirely secret - which would be odd as they already announced CPT and have held back on spoilers since.

Personally, tomorrow (perhaps the day after if news is slow) is hopefully a MASSIVE day for both games. The first new news on CPT will be exciting, and it's impact on RCTW can only be healthy for Atari - assuming they're ready to compete in a fair and open arena.

Bring on a new era of theme park games, after only a decade or so... :)

MrStripy
06-15-2015, 06:37 PM
The new era of the theme park games! Whooooooo! Its kinda already started but whoooooooooooooooo!

Deuce
06-15-2015, 06:44 PM
The new era of the theme park games! Whooooooo! Its kinda already started but whoooooooooooooooo!

Seriously so much has happened over the last 2 years. Parkitect, RCTW announced, CPT announced - not to mention NL2 and TPS showing what is possible these days. But so far, no new proper theme park sim games have actually been released!

So the next 12 months (at a minimum for RCTW whatever Atari say...) will be extremely exciting I think!

OTR24
06-15-2015, 07:05 PM
So tomorrow E3 goes live and at some point Frontier will make some sort of announcement about their second 'self published' game. Which sounds like I'm writing a thread about Frontier here, but really, it's very much about Atari.

It goes without saying there is zero chance of another Atari blog until news of Frontier's press release is known. And frankly it seems beyond doubt that whatever Frontier reveal, it'll be a good few days before Atari make any sort of further reveal about RCTW. My guess right now is that blog number 11 content will be entirely dependant on what Frontier release.

Of course it's still possible Frontier won't mention CPT at E3, but this seems unlikely, unless the game production they are going to show is something entirely secret - which would be odd as they already announced CPT and have held back on spoilers since.

Personally, tomorrow (perhaps the day after if news is slow) is hopefully a MASSIVE day for both games. The first new news on CPT will be exciting, and it's impact on RCTW can only be healthy for Atari - assuming they're ready to compete in a fair and open arena.

Bring on a new era of theme park games, after only a decade or so... :)

Competition on the open market is good. It creates innovation. One company trying to one up the other. Imagine if there was only one airline that provided service to a certain destination. They could charge whatever they wanted even if the service was crappy. Because they would be the only one who offered that service. But at some point some other rival airline would appear and try to undercut them by offering better service at a lower price. The Atari Frontier battle has begun. Sorry Atari Airlines you're no longer the only game in town. I'm starting to wonder if the decision to remake RCTW was because of the fan outrage or because of the competition form Frontier. Maybe a bit of both.

Deuce
06-15-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the decision to remake RCTW was because of the fan outrage or because of the competition form Frontier. Maybe a bit of both.

I think it went like this, just my opinion, not fact of course:

1) Atari consider making RCTW (by whatever name it was when they first considered it).
2) Frontier are consulted, for whatever reason they don't come on board. Given the size and experience of the developers since it seems likely there was a budget issue, or at least an issue with the commitment to the end product.
3) Frontier know they're out of it and can do their own thing.
4) Atari continue to seek to develop a new game. They see that no other serious commercial entity is doing the same, they recruit developers they can afford and hope to use their influence to drive their developers to deliver a great game for a relatively low price tag. This would explain the frequent change of developer (unreasonable pressure).
5) Frontier start to think of their own game. They start by developing 'Scream Ride', a basic coaster game with no sim elements in order to prove their coaster builder/sim tech without the investment needed to build a hugely complex RCT type game.
6) By this time Atari are underway with Pipeworks, but the relationship falls down, they move to Area 52.
7) Frontier announce CPT, clearly this fact will adjust Atari's plan for future RCT game in some way.
8) Atari test audience reaction with the game they had in development, hardly surprising the audience notices it's a bucket of turd.
9) Atari knuckles down and essentially restarts RCTW, in the knowledge that other games have made greater progress and they need to try harder.
10) RCTW progress shows signs of improvement but in reality can only ever get so far until Atari know what Frontier are really working on. Hence, a number of visually slightly impressive, but essentially non-committal blog posts showing isolated coaster assets. Atari is in a holding pattern, keeping the community on boil but they NEED to know more about Frontier intentions before they really decide how much to plough into RCTW.
11) Frontier show something of CPT and we all find out what happens next...

One thing is obvious to me. Frontier have already shown the minimum quality of their coaster building and sim tech in Scream Ride. And it looks amazing. It's obvious that CPT will look at least as good if not better. That's not the end of the story, they have to build an entire sim game too. But if you look at Scream Ride, you will see that they have already shown us the 'modern' game that Atari have so far failed to demonstrate.

tycoon
06-22-2015, 12:52 PM
I think it went like this, just my opinion, not fact of course:

+1, i pretty much agree with your assessment.

i suppose the only thing i suppose i'd take some exception with is the fact that atari did not NEED to know what frontier was going to do, if they had simply committed to produce the best game possible as a successor to the wildly successful RCT franchise. using RCT3 as a benchmark, and with a little vision, and heeding feedback here on their own forums, i think a worthy successor could be envisaged. however, i am not convinced anybody at atari truly has that mode of vision at the current point, as demonstrated by the releases of info and that terrible trailer.

at this point, however, having failed to do that and having changed developers so often under uncertain conditions, they are indeed forced into a situation of having to play a RCTW vs planet coaster type situation. if they had simply gone about this 'right' from the start, they could have hit the market while such competition would have been more of a non-issue and banked on a unique and full market share. sadly they did not.

i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier from day one. i bet they regret that, now.

JayB_Yolo
06-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Yep I agree with Deuce like RCTW was immediately announced after RCT4m failure and outrage among fans.I think it was mentioned on Facebook page that they are consulting the old developers.And even the game doesn't actually live up to its name like the game is called RCT World and it actually contains very less theming.But still its a good choice to have less themes in start and devs could actually focus more on adding and improving gameplay elements.(don't forget to add curve paths please...!!;))