PDA

View Full Version : Issues i had with RCT 3 i don't want repeated:

PixelPlayer
12-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Firstly - transport rides need to be used for transport.

Secondly, if you had a huge park, rides far away from the entrance never got guests - the path finders needs to improve that by having guests aim to go on more variety of rides and seek them out rather than wander around and stumble across a ride to go. This is more common when you have lots of rides and thousands of guests, its not so noticeable when your first starting to build your park.

Thirdly, rides aged too quick resulting in empty queue lines - the queues in RCT 1 and 2 were far more used and a full queue is always good to see! The large queues and hearing the "cha ching" such memories. :P

Also don't put a guest count limit, let us set our guest count limit based on our hardware specs which varies a lot. That way we can max our parks to within out PC capabilities :)

ncutt010
12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
My biggest issue with RCT3 was that queue lines never became full. It didnt feel rewarding when I made a 5 star coaster because there would never be anyone in line. I think it was due to the family system they implemented..

Either way, they need to fix it so that lines get full

PixelPlayer
12-16-2014, 10:03 PM
My biggest issue with RCT3 was that queue lines never became full. It didnt feel rewarding when I made a 5 star coaster because there would never be anyone in line. I think it was due to the family system they implemented..

Yeah i think it was related to that, plus the low guest count. Though 10 years later in hardware improvements should now give us enough guests.

dwwilkin
12-17-2014, 12:17 AM

NCutt, I've designed a lot of Coasters and many times I have had the Queue lines completely full. Peep Psychology seems to have it based on how many Peeps in the park and how many rides to go on, where the ride is in relation to where the Peeps are, how well rated the coaster is, and then issues of cost. Balancing that can make a long Queue line fill up

RCTW1
12-17-2014, 01:04 AM
My only issue, that I can think of right now, is the path system. Often the path would jump to ground level, when you tried to make paths above or below ground level, including underground. Also it was tough putting floors, walls, and roofs on buildings, because of the part would either be misaligned or keep going to the ground floor.

ncutt010
12-17-2014, 01:07 AM
NCutt, I've designed a lot of Coasters and many times I have had the Queue lines completely full. Peep Psychology seems to have it based on how many Peeps in the park and how many rides to go on, where the ride is in relation to where the Peeps are, how well rated the coaster is, and then issues of cost. Balancing that can make a long Queue line fill up

Yea well, in order to get that many guest in your park you pretty much needed a super computer back in the day. My computer was equipped with 2 GB of ram, duel-core processor and GeForce3+ video card (this was pretty good back in 2004/5). Still couldnt handle a massive park with thousands of guests.

Speaking of that I wonder what the recommended requirements will be for RCTW..

Silvarret
12-17-2014, 02:32 AM
I'm also hoping for a better terraforming system, RCT3's one is not very user-friendly at all and has quite a learning curve.

PixelPlayer
12-17-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm also hoping for a better terraforming system, RCT3's one is not very user-friendly at all and has quite a learning curve.

It was better to not terraform and just have scenery of rocks to create the effect of it instead i found.

JMR
12-17-2014, 05:48 PM

I agree. I also hope if they do implement terraforming system that it actually looks good when tunnels are dug, rather than just blocky madness. Dynamic lighting should help a lot with this.

EDIT: Terraforming already confirmed. http://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?340-Emphasis-on-Tycoon

ncutt010
12-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Here's something I personally would like to see changed from all previous versions...

...does any one else agree we should not be penalized for making extremely long queue lines? If guest want to wait in the long line for a great coaster then let them wait. Make it our decision on what the maximum queue length should be. If we make our queue paths extra long and too many guest are waiting in line instead of spending their money elsewhere, then it's our fault and we'll face the penalty when we start loosing profit.

....at the entry of the queue line a tv with waiting times.

^It would be awesome if we can include wait times as well.

Clubman8
12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I would definitely like peeps to ride transport rides, even if they want to go home and are sick of rides. "Mountain Rescue"'s fatal flaw was that peeps would get stuck at the far end of the chairlift and would never be able to go home because of them not wanting to go on anything else.

Paul_Boland
12-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Never had any of these issues in RCT3. RCT3 is awesome and RCTW is just going to make it all even better!! I can't wait!!

horizons1
12-18-2014, 03:54 PM
My #1 issue is crashes with RCT3 in large parks (i.e. ones that take advantage of the maximum 254x254 grid.) Pretty sure from what I read that this is a memory limit, but there should at least be some warnings in the new application if we are reaching resource limits.

iChase
12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Terraforming and tunnels! Good grief were they terrible. I remember in RCT3 there were finite terraforming adjustments which were nearly indiscernible to the eye, but sure would put up a fight if you tried to build, say, a footpath over it. Then the tunnels, they were unbelievably poorly developed. Having a roller coaster go underground seemed to take so much ground away from what I was tunneling into, there was almost no point to have even tunneled in the first place. There were like fly-swatting with a sledgehammer.

PixelPlayer
12-18-2014, 03:58 PM
My #1 issue is crashes with RCT3 in large parks (i.e. ones that take advantage of the maximum 254x254 grid.) Pretty sure from what I read that this is a memory limit, but there should at least be some warnings in the new application if we are reaching resource limits.

From my understanding no game can avoid a memory crash as that is a hardware failure, if it happens it simply means upgrade your PC. The first obvious sign of such an issue is slow frame rate.

sub780lime
12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Path alignment (related to terraforming). Too many paths that were pain to try and get lined up right and the game had tearing in those spots sometimes too. Tunneling is an obvious one. Collision detection needs major out of the box improvement. Buildings taking up the same grid square as rides allowed out of the box. I just think of everything I have to edit in the options file that should be automatic.

ETapley0687
12-19-2014, 04:41 PM
White Water Rapids: Minimal options in creating the layout. I liked the fact we could change the width of the channel but there wasn't much more to choose from. I'd like there to be more options (example: geysers, rapids, and whirlpools like in RCT1 & 2). Also, it never attracted many guests as a water rapids attraction realistically would.

Go-Karts: The only options we had to create track were up down left right and tunnel. Very boring, so this time I'd like to see more track options (up hill turns, banks, and helices).

sub780lime
12-19-2014, 04:44 PM
White Water Rapids: Minimal options in creating the layout. I liked the fact we could change the width of the channel but there wasn't much more to choose from. I'd like there to be more options (example: geysers, rapids, and whirlpools like in RCT1 & 2). Also, it never attracted many guests as a water rapids attraction realistically would.

Go-Karts: The only options we had to create track were up down left right and tunnel. Very boring, so this time I'd like to see more track options (up hill turns, banks, and helices).

Absolutely agree on both of these.

My greatest fear with this game is that it will really just be a graphical overall and not get into the details.

RCTW1
12-19-2014, 05:19 PM
I'm also in agreement about the Whitewater Rapids and Go Carts.
There was also Monster Trucks that needed more track options as well.

jda2984
12-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Go Karts definitely need more options :D

ncutt010
12-22-2014, 07:18 PM
From my understanding no game can avoid a memory crash as that is a hardware failure, if it happens it simply means upgrade your PC. The first obvious sign of such an issue is slow frame rate.

Not necessarily. Games should be developed to utilis resources and hardware effectively and efficiently...even with a top of the line pc, i ran into performance issues when creating massive parks in rct3.

This could possibly be why RCTW has split the park into four seperate theme parks connected by monorail

PixelPlayer
12-23-2014, 12:00 AM
Not necessarily. Games should be developed to utilis resources and hardware effectively and efficiently...even with a top of the line pc, i ran into performance issues when creating massive parks in rct3.

This could possibly be why RCTW has split the park into four seperate theme parks connected by monorail

Thats not the same as a memory crash. That a crash in memory is a fatal error a game cannot recover from without restarting it.

superkadete
12-24-2014, 01:20 PM
I had a annoying issue on RCT3 where when I lowered a hill with the square lower tool. When I go to put a wall down it's floating 1 block high! Unless I SHIFT it down

Signum
12-24-2014, 05:05 PM
I found the lack of a Undo button to be very frustating sometimes, especially when modifing the terrain.

I can never get the original landscape back after terraforming it. It also punishes the player with a money loss, although that is a very minor issue. Still annoying though.

iChase
12-24-2014, 10:53 PM
^ An undo and redo function would be so fantastically useful. There have been so many times I've accidentally built something or deleted something that I wish I could have undone.

RCTW1
12-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Or at least please give us CTrL+Z & Y functionality.

PixelPlayer
12-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Undo landscape changes would be good too.

warcat61
01-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Peeps not getting off rides, Elevator, Drop Towers, Observation Tower. Even patch didn't help.

Jamppa158
01-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I missed the forest tool from RCT2:
http://oi60.tinypic.com/2n6euco.jpg
Hope to see it back in RCTW.

Taizen
01-08-2015, 11:21 AM
I missed the forest tool from RCT2:
http://oi60.tinypic.com/2n6euco.jpg
Hope to see it back in RCTW.

This would be fantastic! Please, Area52, include the forest tool

ETapley0687
01-08-2015, 01:01 PM
this would be fantastic! Please, area52, include the forest tool

yes please!!!!!!!!

0BobTheJanitor
01-08-2015, 03:54 PM
The terrain in 3 was pretty glitchy, especially when building paths and flatrides. I hope the terrain in World will be easier to work with.

Aqua-Chan
01-09-2015, 02:42 AM
I always hated it when you weren't allowed to place pre built roller coasters underground. Or how you needed to put in a cheat just to build a taller coaster.

ExtraCheese
01-09-2015, 05:08 AM
Ok here is my list, which is quite similar to what you guys already wrote:
- Better terrain modification. The smooth terrain was awesome, but went crazy when there was a coaster track 2 meters above it. Smooth terrain wasn't possible anymore because the game thought there was something in the way. No collission in options.txt fixed it, but it should be included in the new version of terrain editing.
- Guest should have better pathfinding. Maybe include an option in the entrance of the park to give people free maps of the park so they will not get lost that easely.
- Ditch the park inspector, he was annoying.
- Performance issues were my top frustration. I couldn't build a big park because the game couldn't handle it. I constructed a high performance game computer just after the game was launched, but still wasn't able to build a large park.
- Tunnels were just ugly.
- More theming, the ones included in the game just weren't enough.
- The bloom effect in RCT3 blinded me. I always turned it off.
- Longer day / night cycle.
- The inability to create darkrides was really frustrating. When you have completely build a coaster indoors it shouldn't be as bright. The game thought everything was in the shadow instead of closed of to sunlight. Maybe included an option to trigger a dark ride setting?

Taizen
01-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I always hated it when you weren't allowed to place pre built roller coasters underground. Or how you needed to put in a cheat just to build a taller coaster.

Agreed! I would love to be able to do this.

RCTW1
01-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Personally the cheat codes doesn't bother me too much.

a-can-o-beans
01-09-2015, 10:42 PM
i dont see why have a cheat code that will let you build as tall as you want when it can just be in the base game.

0BobTheJanitor
01-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Except when you go above certain heights the terrain and skybox start to disappear. As a cheatcode, that is fine, but not as a feature.

Nightest
01-10-2015, 06:12 PM
One thing I loved in RCT1 and 2 that was taken out of 3 was building structures that were animated. It's been a long time since I played 1 and 2 but I remember how much I liked building with the structure set with all the gears and try to make them connect and see them rotate. There should be some structure sets that has that kind of animation and it wouldn't hurt to give all sets one wall type with a lamp of some kind since buildings have lights in real life. Whenever I constructed buildings in RCT3 it just seems that the buildings just sit there doing nothing. I know there are some rides that have minor interaction but buildings should have the ability to be animated. Just have an option to turn off those animations if hardware isn't good enough.

Helena
01-12-2015, 09:06 AM
I love RCT1 and the first part of RCT2. (that is, before Frontier were involved).

What I disliked with RCT3: too buggy. Obvious. Bad landscaping. Themed rides that would look out of place if you want to use it in other theme. (please add generic ride too of same type!) Too few peeps. Want to see thousands+ of them!

I miss the sweet scenery from RCT 1 and 2. It was the perfect combination of realism and "cute!!", my favorites are wonderland, candy, miniature land, jungle... Many more really. I loved that there were soo many scenery in RCT1+2. RCT3 was so lacking in this aspect. It was so hurried out, it had some scenery bits but no other to match it to make a full fleshed park of it.

ExtraCheese
01-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Themed rides that would look out of place if you want to use it in other theme. (please add generic ride too of same type!) Too few peeps. Want to see thousands+ of them!

Thats actually an awesome idea! Have all attractions generic, but when you build them you can choose a theming or not.
Build a ferris wheel and choose between generic, western, spooky, adventure etc.

dwwilkin
01-12-2015, 10:28 AM
If my memory serves, when RCT 3 was released, you could not use a themed ride from a different theme in the scenario, they were locked. The same as Soaked and Wild were released. If Spooky was the theme, Western was locked. But when the combined sets have come out, everything is unlocked so once you open a scenario, you get access to every theme, and as research randomly chooses the next ride for you, you may get a Western ride in a Spooky environment.

Helena
01-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Ah that's true. Then it would be that I felt it was missing rides. thinking "western theme have that ride, I want to use it but I can't because it is 1. locked, 2. themed wrong"
I do not want to have that feeling. Make all ride types available for all kinds of themes. If it is time consuming to make 10 unique themes for same ride for each theme so to say, make GENERIC ride then we can recolor it to match ourselves! Think RCT1+2! :)

dwwilkin
01-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Make all ride types available for all kinds of themes.
In Sandbox, all rides no matter the theme were available. For a Scenario, however, it makes sense to have locks. Part of playing after the start of the scenario is to research new themes and unlock other themes, should they be included in the scenario. If the Scenario is only focused on a Western Theme, for a city that only has Western themes at other attractions, then you would not want to have Sci-Fi sneak into the park. If it was at Houston across the street from NASA, you probably would not want the Pirate theme to sneak into the park.

BenVenn
01-13-2015, 02:05 PM
What I did notice what queue wait times in RCT3 was bugged. There was an option to see only as the park manager what the waiting time was on one of the tabs on the ride. You could have a really long queue and it would only say like "10 mins", that would need to be fixed and then yes I'd love to see on the ride entrance this for example: "Coaster Name - Waiting Time: 120 mins"

weebl_101
01-16-2015, 03:35 AM
RCT3 was great, the only thing that was annoying was cusomization, there need to be more path patterns, being able to customize under the ride. Also, building was so tedious in RCT3.. It needs to have an easier way to build, like The Sims. All you need is Walls, Patterns, doors and windows.. But something where you dont have to lay each wall one by one with shift being held.. Simplify it...

RCTW1
01-16-2015, 02:06 PM
RCT3 was great, the only thing that was annoying was cusomization, there need to be more path patterns, being able to customize under the ride. Also, building was so tedious in RCT3.. It needs to have an easier way to build, like The Sims. All you need is Walls, Patterns, doors and windows.. But something where you dont have to lay each wall one by one with shift being held.. Simplify it...

Not to mention roofs. Doing roofs was aggrevating.

Candyghost
01-18-2015, 05:33 PM
2 annoying things from previous game I don't want to see in RCTW:

- rain going through roofs and thus people who don't want to ride the coaster while it is in my case supposed to be indoor
- people passing through walls

What I'd like to return from previous games:

- coaster decaying that can be renewed via maintenance
- people being soaked near water rides
- people looking for shadows (from trees for instance) during hot sunny days

sam_93
01-18-2015, 06:40 PM
My main concern is the scenarios. I would love it if they could recapture the magic of original RCT scenarios. The RCT3 ones felt a little underwhelming.

ExtraCheese
01-19-2015, 06:02 AM
My main concern is the scenarios. I would love it if they could recapture the magic of original RCT scenarios. The RCT3 ones felt a little underwhelming.

Not only that, due to the bad engine some scenario's were impossible to play because not even a high end computer could handle big parks!

glychd1001
01-19-2015, 06:09 PM

The "Create Mountain" setting should actually create mountains, not spears.

RCTW1
01-19-2015, 11:12 PM
The "Create Mountain" setting should actually create mountains, not spears.

If you hold the mouse button in one area too long, you're more likely to get spears, plus there are smoothing tools to "fix" it.
Besides it's fun to pick up the park manager and drop him on spears and down deep holes. Mwa-hahaha

DisneylandFan
01-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Firstly - transport rides need to be used for transport.

Secondly, if you had a huge park, rides far away from the entrance never got guests - the path finders needs to improve that by having guests aim to go on more variety of rides and seek them out rather than wander around and stumble across a ride to go. This is more common when you have lots of rides and thousands of guests, its not so noticeable when your first starting to build your park.

Thirdly, rides aged too quick resulting in empty queue lines - the queues in RCT 1 and 2 were far more used and a full queue is always good to see! The large queues and hearing the "cha ching" such memories. :P

Also don't put a guest count limit, let us set our guest count limit based on our hardware specs which varies a lot. That way we can max our parks to within out PC capabilities :)

Totally agree with this!

BeerWhiskers
01-24-2015, 11:21 PM
My biggest problem with RCT3 was creating large parks, as others have also commented. Even with a current high-end machine, it is easy to build a park that the game engine can't handle, and crashes.

I expect to be able to have a completely flat park of the maximum size possible, and be able to put at least one instance of EVERY ride, coaster, and attraction in the park and not have the game crash.

I also would like to be able to turn down the volume of the people screaming- very annoying.

I completely agree with other's comments referring to more track type for every ride that had some sort of track. All the previous RCTs limited themselves to the types of track that were currently in parks for that type of ride. I hope the track editing lives up to the claims so far.

Menno
01-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Thats actually an awesome idea! Have all attractions generic, but when you build them you can choose a theming or not.
Build a ferris wheel and choose between generic, western, spooky, adventure etc.

Yes! it would also mean you can find the rides in the menu a whole lot easier. I mean it was at times almost impossible to find a certain attraction because of the 15 Ferris wheel skins or whatnot.

yarnmonster
01-26-2015, 12:01 PM
The screams- in rct 2 the screams were a group of people. It was realistic and non-grating. In rct 3 the screams of guests were one person individually screaming... one at a time.. in a line. A painful, painful line.

I'm sure the developers thought having their kids scream into a microphone would be charming, and I'm sure it is for the parent of that child. I can't think of anything less relaxing to listen to for hours than someone else's child screaming at you.

Pretty much verything else I would change has been mentioned- terrain editing, queue lines filling, peeps going on rides.

I would love to see the 'group' dynamic disappear. I'd prefer individual peeps. It may not be realistic to have individual peeps, but the flip side to that is you end up having two members of a group keep another peep from riding a great new coaster I just spent an hour building. Ever been to a park with that person? The one who decrees If We ALL Don't Ride It Then No One Rides It? It stinks. I think I'll trade some realism for more fun, in this case.