PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #10

Mattlab
06-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Discussion of RCTW Production Blog #10 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-10/)

Dear RCTW Fans,

It’s a busy week here. Over the past months, our team has been working, improving, and expanding on a number of different systems. It is always quite a sight to walk around the studio and see all of the disparate work being done by different members of the team. Now, we have reached what we’re calling “integration week” and it is a major step for us. We are now putting these assets and systems together – shiny, new, and improved before proceeding forward with additional work. It’s exciting!

This week, I wanted to share a different type of asset shot. Below you’ll see one of the coaster control booths you will find in the game. It’s important for us to really capture all of the elements of a theme park. The ride operator in their control booth is one of these smaller touches that is integral to the immersive experience we’re aiming to achieve in the game. We hope you like it and be sure to let us know what you think!

Lastly, next week Atari is heading to E3 so our forum posting and updating will likely be limited but present for the next few weeks. We won’t be showing the game publicly at E3, but we will be meeting with press to give them updates on RCTW and other Atari projects. That said, I do plan to update you all next week if and when time allows. Until then, see you on the forums and thank you for all of the great and valuable insights and feedback on our “Ideas and Feature Requests (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Ideas-and-Feature-Requests)” forum. It’s hugely valuable to our design team so please keep it up! While there, be sure to check out our new “Real World Theme Parks and Rides Discussion (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Real-World-Theme-Park-and-Ride-Discussion)” forum. Feel free to chat there about all your favorite rides and theme parks!

Cheers,
“Mattlab”
Executive Producer
RollerCoaster Tycoon World
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ControlBooth_008-1100x619.png?9de0fahttp://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ControlBooth_002-1100x619.png?9de0fa (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ControlBooth_008.png?9de0fa)

ExtraCheese
06-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Wow nice! Thanks for another update Mattlab, really appreciate it.
The booth looks cool. I love how you guys are paying attention to details like this :)!

koekeritis
06-11-2015, 02:58 PM
No, but really, I love detail inside the control house!

xmarkussxd
06-11-2015, 03:01 PM
This is nice! Very nicely done and great attention to detail. If you had another operator walking up and down the carriage to secure everyone's seatbelts and then giving the one in the booth a thumbs up, job done! :) Good work

DragonHuntah
06-11-2015, 03:06 PM
I like the style of the control room, Would be cool if the guy that operates the controlls uses the buttons.

Mr_Sleepless
06-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Amazing stuff you've got there. I didn't think I could get more excited for this game, but every time you post a blog it happens anyways!

Madhousefan
06-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Verry cool control house. But why the big traffic light Mattlab?

CJC23
06-11-2015, 03:16 PM
The control booth looks awesome. I have seen the traffic light on coasters before and I think it's pretty cool. I think this will be a nice feature in the game. Thanks for the update! Work on!

DonSPa
06-11-2015, 03:18 PM
This is nice! Very nicely done and great attention to detail. If you had another operator walking up and down the carriage to secure everyone's seatbelts and then giving the one in the booth a thumbs up, job done! :) Good work

I agree this would be nice to see in game and add to the realism

Bro199999
06-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Cool idea could make a thread about that

apdergrosse
06-11-2015, 03:28 PM
First great update that let me hope for good detail.

Second There is already a thread out there where we talked about that.

Kombiice
06-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Uh :O cool idea

jsqualls14
06-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Holy shmokes. That looks really slick. Way better graphics than RCT3 so far!! :D

lautpiano
06-11-2015, 03:35 PM
wow, im totally getting in that uberly hyper mood and all about rctw, thank you guys sooo much for your hard work and esp. you, matt, for sharing those nibbles with us! keep the blogs coming! really really digging the design, its the perfect balance between realistic and - well, fun & arcade, which is so essential in this franchise! stoked to learn what peeps and scenery assets will look like, and, in a few weeks, how youre gonna put it all together into an immersive world. still a lot of work to be done, i know, but im wishing you the best of luck and a whole lot of fun developing, too. cant even put into words how good my feelings about all this have become since you started posting seriously... *single tear of joy* read you again very soon, i hope! <3

The Stig
06-11-2015, 03:38 PM
So pretty. I just wanna sit in there and press buttons.

RandomMrBrick
06-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Hope is regaining!

jerseygrrll
06-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Cool! Thanks, Mattlab!

ETapley0687
06-11-2015, 04:12 PM
It keeps getting better. You guys are doing a fantastic job!

naanbred
06-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Just the fact that you're including a control booth tells me that you guys are really willing to put in the extra effort and attention to detail that fans of this series really desire. Great job!

Dutcher
06-11-2015, 04:19 PM
I really like the stall. It's a nice touch of realism we haven't seen before. There is one thing I dislike though: the traffic light. If that is what you'd call it. It appears to be horribly disproportionate to the stall. Maybe remove the unused space in the middle, make it smaller and thinner as well (seeing the LED-techniques). It kinda feels like a refrigerator right now and I doubt that is supposed to be the case :p

demomode_br
06-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Thank You Mattlab, now you guys are showing the game I wanna play. Not that RCT3 Reloaded crap you guys showed at the beginning of the year.

Keep up the good work!!!! :D

davadude
06-11-2015, 04:30 PM
This looks great, hope the operator will walk around the ride!

SYREN
06-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Heres the control booth with lighting!!!452

CaseyCBeard
06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
I am loving this little updates with detail! Just enough to excite, but I'm still left wanting WAY more! Ha ha ha! Good luck at E3!

dwwilkin
06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
At least we know Mattlab is breathing

VACkillers
06-11-2015, 06:48 PM
From this post, this leads me to believe the new team is an internal Atari team. Still no chance of this ever getting released this year for me... Hope it's worth the wait!

keeper262
06-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the update! I think the booth looks great.

OTR24
06-11-2015, 08:00 PM

The original RCT used traffic lights. I think it's a nice nod to the original, I want to see the full station now! :D

OTR24
06-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Just the fact that you're including a control booth tells me that you guys are really willing to put in the extra effort and attention to detail that fans of this series really desire. Great job!

Exactly! I hope people actually enter the train and sit down and a ride attendant walks along as the restraints go down. If the restraint fail they shut the ride down using and use a radio to call a mechanic.

Caine
06-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Nice to see, that the stations become more realistic :)
But now I want to push these buttons ;) (Just as gimmick)

I hope people actually enter the train and sit down and a ride attendant walks along as the restraints go down.

This is something I really want to see too!

marcgaming24
06-11-2015, 08:45 PM
it is wonderful when an team of developers make great her work because this after months and wonderful but like know when i coming out of the trailer this great work fantastic pictures of the graphics for the game I liked the cabin of rollercoaster amazing details great work developers yes we can:)

Sir Isaac
06-11-2015, 09:58 PM
If you had another operator walking up and down the carriage to secure everyone's seatbelts and then giving the one in the booth a thumbs up, job done! :)

http://media.giphy.com/media/US0y4X7FONHaM/giphy.gif

Aqua-Chan
06-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Looks like you guys are recovering from your trailer nicely. Not only that but consistent on updates. Don't screw up! But that looks amazing!!!

Knobs
06-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Feeling all warm and fuzzy. Guys, you're so back on track.
Can't wait to see more and more :)

What an epic comeback wahahaha. Its legendary.

Knobs
06-11-2015, 11:29 PM
wow, im totally getting in that uberly hyper mood and all about rctw, thank you guys sooo much for your hard work and esp. you, matt, for sharing those nibbles with us! keep the blogs coming! really really digging the design, its the perfect balance between realistic and - well, fun & arcade, which is so essential in this franchise! stoked to learn what peeps and scenery assets will look like, and, in a few weeks, how youre gonna put it all together into an immersive world. still a lot of work to be done, i know, but im wishing you the best of luck and a whole lot of fun developing, too. cant even put into words how good my feelings about all this have become since you started posting seriously... *single tear of joy* read you again very soon, i hope! <3

Same state of mind i guess !

BRUXXUS
06-12-2015, 12:08 AM
So sweet! Looks fantastic.

I wonder if there will be a need to train ride operators... and consequences for poorly trained or paid operators. hahaha

TheChosenOne
06-12-2015, 03:03 AM
It looks amazing!!!

I would suggest you to do themed booths.
About the traffic light I think that it should be an option to place it. It should not be part of the booth.
And it would also be really cool to put the traffic light on the wall like in the karts in rct3. And a countdown would also be fantastic
You know you would see a screen and there's a countdown on it. And maybe even have the countdown with sound. So you'll hear 3, 2, 1 go. Like in the rock and rollercoaster in euro Disneyland.

Just something I would like to see

jkay1993
06-12-2015, 04:28 AM
Awesome matt awesome.. can't wait to play this

AUS_Twisted
06-12-2015, 05:50 AM
Feeling all warm and fuzzy. Guys, you're so back on track.
Can't wait to see more and more :)

What an epic comeback wahahaha. Its legendary.

This is laughable going by a few basic models.

SparkyUK
06-12-2015, 06:19 AM
Booth looks great!

I think the traffic light is way too large though. And (it's probably just me), is it really needed? It's one thing I hoped wouldn't make it into the new game as I don't see many coasters (other than rides like TTD) that have traffic lights for dispatch.

Enjoying these frequent updates.

JayB_Yolo
06-12-2015, 07:00 AM
Wow,the detail on the control booth is good(especially all the buttons and mike).So we are getting a control booth,so we would be possibly getting Transfer Tracks right?:o

SparkyUK
06-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Wow,the detail on the control booth is good(especially all the buttons and mike).So we are getting a control booth,so we would be possibly getting Transfer Tracks right?:o

I would love to see some more realism around the areas of transfer tracks, and moving new trains on and off the main system to deal with capacity etc. This could tie in with running costs I guess.

ncutt010
06-12-2015, 07:51 AM
I haven't been on here much cuz I lost faith in rctw when I saw their trailer...but i like their new screen shots and updated blog post. It seems like they finally realize us fans want realism and not some cartoon style game...good work. I would still be disappointed if they didn't include all coaster types...including b&m

JMR
06-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the update, Mattlab!

I like the style of booth and I'm pleased with the detail.

Although, I am going with SparkyUK on this one in regards to the traffic lights.

I think the traffic light is way too large though. And (it's probably just me), is it really needed? It's one thing I hoped wouldn't make it into the new game as I don't see many coasters (other than rides like TTD) that have traffic lights for dispatch.

I look forward as always to the next update. :)

Aquanasia
06-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Great update! I really like the booth and I am excited to see if all the colors light up at night, or hearing the employee yell at people for not securing their seat belts!! Now that I think of it, it would be hilarious to see "lazy" employees, not check the seats, and then see the peeps fly off the costers! muahahaha!

magicart87
06-12-2015, 12:06 PM
"Wow that's super Amazing! That booth looks Great update! Amaz-ballz! My confidence in this game has improved 1000x over! My Faith in the franchise has been restored! Praise. Miracles."

Come on Guys! Seriously? It's booth... A.K.A a box with walls.

Are you guys really this desperate to be utterly amazed by a model of a box? I'm happy for the update don't get me wrong; although it was pretty light on the progress updates. I just don't see what the hype is all about. At least...not yet.

dinoman123
06-12-2015, 01:00 PM
well that would be more better like as that's what they do in real life like that 2 staff check the cars and when ready the staff in the booth will start the ride

Everett
06-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Please tell me there will be a ride operator with animations?

animations could be. Puts thumbs up and presses nobs for the ride to start. occasionally picks up phone and has silent small conversation.
although id be happy with just an operator standing in the booth lol.

magicart87
06-12-2015, 07:15 PM
For some added animation It would be cool to see an osculating desk fan keeping the ride operator cool. It's the little things that add to the realism. Spinning in a chair, sipping coffee from a mug, waiving to riders, etc.

rct-uwe
06-13-2015, 01:05 AM
I think that a ride operator which walks along the station and gives the signal to start (or starts by its own in the control booth) is the maximum you could and should ask for. And that's much more I would ask for.
All those little animations are too much to programm and to handle.
I can see the first posts written "My PC specs are too low to run the game smoothly"

It's still a computer game... if you want 100% realism, go and visit a real theme park!

Xyzyoja
06-13-2015, 07:33 AM
I think that a ride operator which walks along the station and gives the signal to start (or starts by its own in the control booth) is the maximum you could and should ask for. And that's much more I would ask for.
All those little animations are too much to programm and to handle.
I can see the first posts written "My PC specs are too low to run the game smoothly"

It's still a computer game... if you want 100% realism, go and visit a real theme park!

I fully agree with you. For me REALISM is not important. I would like this game to have great campaign ( I mean interesting tasks to do like in rct 3 but not like in rct 4 mobile)

MrBob101
06-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Honestly. I think realism does matter. I'm not saying rct3 was bad but you had to mod the crap out of it to make it seem real. For example, rct3 had one support type which looked very ugly. I understand that running the game smoothly matters so why don't they add a categories in the graphic settings called "animations" so you could turn extra animations like realistic ride operations on and off.
For some added animation It would be cool to see an osculating desk fan keeping the ride operator cool. It's the little things that add to the realism. Spinning in a chair, sipping coffee from a mug, waiving to riders, etc. Cool ideas. I like the ideas! Can't wait for the game!

Addictex
06-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Gosh, it's a computer game! I think it's great for them to listen to the fans, but please, don't listen too much. It's gonna destroy the game. Be true to RCT. People think they can decide everything now and make it to the next new super realistic rollercoaster simulator 3000, just because you give them the possibility to. Don't. Listen for feedback, but do your thing. Atari knows what's right. RCT3 was awesome.

qbmaster
06-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Exactly! I hope people actually enter the train and sit down and a ride attendant walks along as the restraints go down. If the restraint fail they shut the ride down using and use a radio to call a mechanic.

I think in real life, a lot of times if the bar won't go down they'll just close off that car until a mechanic can deal with the issue.

OTR24
06-14-2015, 03:55 AM
I think in real life, a lot of times if the bar won't go down they'll just close off that car until a mechanic can deal with the issue.

Maybe we could have the option to run the coaster even if it has a problem. We could set a time for it to shut down for repairs. Like every 1 week game time. Or we could set for a month etc... The longer it goes without repairs the more dangerous it becomes.

JayB_Yolo
06-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Maybe we could have the option to run the coaster even if it has a problem. We could set a time for it to shut down for repairs. Like every 1 week game time. Or we could set for a month etc... The longer it goes without repairs the more dangerous it becomes.

I think there should be a automatic time limit and if it doesn't get repaired in time a mishap could occour and it may effect your park rating or even the image of your roller coaster.So ride become less preferable among peeps/guests and it will effect riders per hour.

Finzz
06-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Honestly. I think realism does matter. I'm not saying rct3 was bad but you had to mod the crap out of it to make it seem real. For example, rct3 had one support type which looked very ugly. I understand that running the game smoothly matters so why don't they add a categories in the graphic settings called "animations" so you could turn extra animations like realistic ride operations on and off. Cool ideas. I like the ideas! Can't wait for the game!

I agree these are very cool ideas. It would take this genre to another level of superiority and allow people to lose a sense of time and get lost just admiring the hard work they put into their parks. I think customization is key to any game being great.

Gosh, it's a computer game! I think it's great for them to listen to the fans, but please, don't listen too much. It's gonna destroy the game. Be true to RCT. People think they can decide everything now and make it to the next new super realistic rollercoaster simulator 3000, just because you give them the possibility to. Don't. Listen for feedback, but do your thing. Atari knows what's right. RCT3 was awesome.

I'm assuming you mean you still want the game to have an arcade feel, which I agree with...but rct 3 was far from awesome in a lot of people's eyes because the campaign mechanics and graphics were lacking. But it was actually closer to being a "simulator" than RCT 1&2 were in my eyes.

All I have to say is...why aim for mediocrity? Since its is a video game and it is an outlet for your imagination, why not hold it to the standard of current games? Why would we want a watered down last-gen game?

“People do not fail in life because they aim too high and miss.
They fail in life, because they aim too low and hit their mark every time.”

That's my $0.02.

CaseyCBeard
06-14-2015, 09:25 PM
I think there should be a automatic time limit and if it doesn't get repaired in time a mishap could occour and it may effect your park rating or even the image of your roller coaster.So ride become less preferable among peeps/guests and it will effect riders per hour.

This would happen in the original RCT. If a coaster brakes failed, the trains would collide. Then the attraction would lose ridership for a while. I would love to see this happen again. Or, if one set of brakes failed, the other brakes (if placed in another section) would stop the train before it to help not cause a collision. :D Love this idea JayB_Yolo!

Navas
06-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Nice!
Great job!

Fundibalus
06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Wow! Great work!The control house has a lot of details.I love it.Continue with your good work!

EuroMaster2008
06-15-2015, 06:26 PM
My question still is "Why you don´t do this, from the very first moment?" so that the Game could be delivered IN time?

MrStripy
06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
My question still is "Why you don´t do this, from the very first moment?" so that the Game could be delivered IN time?

After 11 years they are trying to give us the best game possible so let them take there time.

Thomas
06-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Love it! .....

maxfreak
06-15-2015, 10:57 PM
After 11 years they are trying to give us the best game possible so let them take there time.

Yea, NOW. Before they thought they could get away with what they showed off a few months back. That was until there was an uproar from not only the fans but from gaming publications all over.

CSXsonic
06-16-2015, 01:45 AM
omg I love it. Are the peeps going to say some thing into the microphone before they start the rides like in real life? Like are they going to speak in similar or something? Cuz that would be amazing!

magicart87
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
I really like the stall. It's a nice touch of realism we haven't seen before. There is one thing I dislike though: the traffic light. If that is what you'd call it. It appears to be horribly disproportionate to the stall. Maybe remove the unused space in the middle, make it smaller and thinner as well (seeing the LED-techniques). It kinda feels like a refrigerator right now and I doubt that is supposed to be the case :p

Booth looks great!

Enjoying these frequent updates.

Thanks for the update, Mattlab!

I like the style of booth and I'm pleased with the detail.

Although, I am going with SparkyUK on this one in regards to the traffic lights.

I look forward as always to the next update. :)

I agree with this! I understand why they included it just not sure I particularly like the traffic light. But it is a nice throwback to RCT visuals. The booth looks good.

I have a question: The dispatch indicator (traffic light)... was it created specifically for the "Peeps" as some superfluous eye-catching addition to the station platform -OR- Was it created to benefit the ride operator? Surely it wasn't created without reason!?

I ask because if it is not directly-tethered to the control booth and does not serve a purpose other than to let the riders know their coaster is about to dispatch; it is more "useless" than "useful" and not really needed.

My main concern is that this addition might be a hindrance or eyesore later on should we wish to create a jungle-themed rollercoaster or a Old West style rollercoaster where a "traffic light" would obviously stick out like a sore thumb.

However... ;) If this is just one of many "themed" control booths than I hope that the dispatch indicator might appear differently for each style. If this is the "Generic" theme; I don't mind the traffic light design. It fits!

Critique: I would personally like to see the traffic light more closely match the design of the control booth -- a unit! And possibly smaller in size! 3.5 feet tall vs 5 feet tall. As other's have mentioned; the "traffic light" could easily be a separate component. Maybe as an track-triggered scenery element? As a track-triggered element it would act as a countdown on launched coasters.

Here's a mockup of what I personally would like the "booth" to look like, if possible. And if nothing else...a smaller traffic light would be a great improvement, IMHO.

Example: http://s17.postimg.org/i2l8y4c5b/tweaktobooth.gif

http://s24.postimg.org/njl1oc3w1/tweakbooth.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/njl1oc3w1/)

Just my $0.02...

Sir Isaac
06-16-2015, 01:53 PM

http://media.giphy.com/media/CHVvWfV0WnJ6M/giphy.gif

It's a little way past "Early 2015"...

EuroMaster2008
06-16-2015, 04:22 PM
This Blog Entry shows us, that they know what they had to do BEFORE, so there are 2 possible answers to my last question:
1: They couldn´t produce the game they wanted in Time, give us a better looking RCT 2 Trailer, to get us mad and then HAVE the time to produce the true game
2: They really thought that the community would accept the RCT 2 Remake...

armyarchmage
06-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Here's a mockup of what I personally would like the "booth" to look like, if possible. And if nothing else...a smaller traffic light would be a great improvement, IMHO.

Example: http://s17.postimg.org/i2l8y4c5b/tweaktobooth.gif

http://s24.postimg.org/njl1oc3w1/tweakbooth.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/njl1oc3w1/)

Just my $0.02...

I completely agree with this. I love this new booth concept and especially like the idea of a smaller light. I don't like the direction the roller coaster tycoon franchise has taken being more "cartoony", if that makes any sense to you guys. I think less "cartoony" and more attention to details, especially the small ones!, and it will be a much better game.

magicart87
06-17-2015, 12:31 PM
We currently have 7 inane discussions going on regarding a Planet Coaster trailer that has no bearing on RCTW development. Let's try an stick to the topics at hand... related to RCTW. This is "RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #10".

Shouldn't we be talking about Frontier's game over in the Community Chat. I'm pretty sure at this point Atari is well aware of the game's trailer and our opinions of it. Can we please stop posting about this stuff in every area of our forum!? :confused:

0BobTheJanitor
06-17-2015, 12:49 PM
We currently have 7 inane discussions going on regarding a Planet Coaster trailer that has no bearing on RCTW development. Let's try an stick to the topics at hand... related to RCTW. This is "RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #10".

Shouldn't we be talking about Frontier's game over in the Community Chat. I'm pretty sure at this point Atari is well aware of the game's trailer and our opinions of it. Can we please stop posting about this stuff in every area of our forum!? :confused:

We're just excited is all. Don't worry, this shouldn't last too long. ;)

Sir Isaac
06-17-2015, 07:11 PM
I just hope Atari took notes. They aren't the only publisher putting out a theme park game, and they need to step it up if they want RCTWorld to be a success.

The Stig
06-17-2015, 11:01 PM
I just hope Atari took notes. They aren't the only publisher putting out a theme park game, and they need to step it up if they want RCTWorld to be a success.

Yes, but I would suspect that that other game is going to feel more like RCT3, naturally. Minus the themes maybe. I didn't see any.
Also, how many custom buildings did you see? I'll admit it looks fun and shiny. The trailer played out like a Pixar movie. Everything there is bubbly and bouncy. That seems to be the road those guys chose to take.

There is still time for this game to take advantage of the whole realism factor and go all-in with accuracy and be the "more sophisticated" theme park sim. It would require a return to the game's roots, if you will. No bouncing trees, and no giant monkey swing rides. In the most extreme case, maybe even dropping the themed environments. I would much rather be given the bare bones essentials and the tools to create all the bells and whistles than I would, say, plop a burger-shaped stall.

If both games are mildly cartoony and feature semi-realistic ride models and comically animated play-doh people, and are both targeted to the same younger market, then the result here is predictable.

However, if Matt were to tweak his strategy a bit and really (continue to) go for that "accurate, realism seeking, hardcore coaster fan" market, then it could be a real game changer. As in, playing RCTW really feels like I'm designing a coaster. RCTW really feels like I'm managing a theme park. RCTW really feels like a balancing act of economics and endless creativity. Like Battlefield is to Call of Duty.

The point I'm trying to make is:
If PCSE were Disney Coaster, RCTW should be No Limits.
If PCSE were Frozen, RCTW should be Avatar.
If PCSE were World of Warcraft, RCTW should be Elder Scrolls Online.
If PCSE were Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver, RCTW should be Gran Turismo.

Not every RCT player was a die-hard CoasterBoy.
But every die-hard CoasterBoy has played RCT.

[/pep]

Sir Isaac
06-17-2015, 11:56 PM
I'm hoping that RCT matures with the people who grew up playing it. That would be a nice change. Too bad it didn't happen long ago though. I mean, 10 years since the last RCT installment on PC and all we've got were poor mobile versions of what used to be a great franchise. Atari has a lot to prove, and they know this (hopefully). I like what I saw for Planet Coaster in the trailer, and it looks like a really fun game (even if it does look a bit cartoony). They showcased a lot of what people have been wanting since RCT3 (assuming that was actual gameplay footage they showed in the trailer) like diagonal path placement, any-angle ride placement... it's like the true RCT4.

1wolffan
06-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Regarding the assets pic...
Wasn't the traffic light at the end of the station platform in earlier games? Maybe they're just posting two separate assets next to each other, so you know how they relate in looks, or something. That size light seems fine for an end-of-station light.

Regarding level of detail...
My PC runs hot when I try to run Skyrim on ultra. If too much detail is added I won't be able to play the game for a few years anyways, while I save up for a new PC. :( I do hope all this talk of realism doesn't screw me over in that regard. Part of the charm for me with RCT was the fact that it wasn't "Microsoft Flight Simulator" levels of details and realism, or Sim City 3000 (without cheats) levels of difficulty.

CedarPointFan
06-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Wow, just wow.

1wolffan
06-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Wow, just wow.
To which thing? That's a bit vague.

If it's the Station booth... Cool. I agree. It's a nice looking station.
If it's my computer... I'm unemployed, shut up. ;)
If it's the drama between this game and other games, I actually don't even know what they're referring to.
If it's the polarizing of the fan-base based on the trailer... I've been cautiously pessimistic (that's right, not optimistic) ever since I had to return my copy of RCT 3DS to GameStop. They gave me a full refund (rare-ish) by calling the game 'broken'. So I'm still being wary.

Nobody_Anybody
06-18-2015, 06:29 PM
It looks a little stale.
Some good textures and good in-game lightning effects and other filters can do wonders and give it more detail.

I am guessing that is still coming?

Have a look at the following images:
http://www.justinsuperty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/door.png

http://www.justinsuperty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/payphone.png

http://www.justinsuperty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/liquor_sign.png

http://www.justinsuperty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/air_conditioner.png

It shows how the same model, with some good skins (and bump maps) can make a huge difference.

The image of the control booth you did show pretty much looks like one of the High Poly Models in these images. I may hope eventually it will look more as the textured version of these images?

magicart87
06-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Agreed. It just needs detail. It'll get there. It lacks character. Nothing that some bump maps and skins won't fix. I Photoshop'ed some wire-lined glass on it to see if they would help and it does give it some oomph. Maybe a air conditioner unit on top? Some aged paint textures. Signage? It just needs a little bit "more". Still looks very much like a model.

dwwilkin
06-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Isn't liquor already plural, thus it should not have an S

Nobody_Anybody
06-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Isn't liquor already plural, thus it should not have an S
I think both is allowed, anyway, that was not really the point of the image.

magicart87
06-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Looking at this ingame model as is... And if you were the modeler; What would YOU do to improve this booth?
https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?3430-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Production-Blog-10&p=19555&viewfull=1#post19555

JayB_Yolo
06-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Looking at this ingame model as is... And if you were the modeler; What would YOU do to improve this booth?
https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?3430-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Production-Blog-10&p=19555&viewfull=1#post19555

A chair and a animated digital display :confused:

"Edit:also I would have got rid of those traffic lights and replace it with gates similar to what seen in NoLimits"

0BobTheJanitor
06-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Pretty much no discussion here or at Frontier Forums. Guess it's time to hibernate for a while.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/5f/89/bf/bearizona-wildlife-park.jpg

Wayne
06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
I think most people are just tired of putting out info and good ideas when the dev's do not take any of them, or nor do we get to such much progress. Yes they have been making posts and that's all great at the time, but we are "on our end" not seeing anything. This is why I love to see the dev videos of them working, and making new content. It gives us a live look at things being worked on that they want to show but its a real update, not just a post with words and pictures. This is what I would like to see from RCTW or Planet Coaster is video updates.

magicart87
06-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Pretty much no discussion here or at Frontier Forums. Guess it's time to hibernate for a while.

When we get a new devblog...Mattlab can wake you!

https://img0.etsystatic.com/042/0/9197398/il_570xN.574828738_ly9s.jpg

Hanazakari86
06-22-2015, 10:36 AM
knock knock
helloooo!! ,,,anybody here??

I guess the place is abandoned again!!
no new devblogs ??? ouch

see you again next time then

J0 N3SB0
06-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Patience is a virtue guys. Perhaps you should get off Mattlabs back, he was at E3 last week and I'm sure he had a lot more on his mind than a weekly update.

He has been providing frequent updates recently so quit moaning and be happy. Live life with a cup half full and not half empty.

Wabigbear
06-22-2015, 01:07 PM
I figured that after Frontier showed their trailer for Planet Coaster, Atari would take some time to review their own plans and to carefully map out what comes next, because anything they show - be it a screenshot or trailer or even some of their infamous long blocks of text, is going to be closely scrutinized and compared to what Frontier showed.

And if there's one thing Atari doesn't need right now it's more bad publicity. Another round of what happened after that disaster of a trailer Atari released could very well do in RCTw.

It took Atari a couple weeks to come up with a plan after the RCTw trailer, I expect this new response will take some time too. And that's actually GOOD, if they didn't care about the final product they'd just go full-blast making a crap game.

The Stig
06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
It took Atari a couple weeks to come up with a plan after the RCTw trailer, I expect this new response will take some time too. And that's actually GOOD, if they didn't care about the final product they'd just go full-blast making a crap game.

Agreed.
Frontier opened up with a good hand. Now Atari can see what they're going up against.
Personally, I would strongly advise them not to "out-Frontier" Frontier. Meaning, I'm not expecting RCTW to follow up with cute mascots and bouncing trees.

CoasterMadness
06-22-2015, 04:20 PM
I agree with the two previous posts. Atari should not try and go for a similar feeling game to what Frontier is doing. If anything I would humbly suggest that they should make their game look different to Frontier's style of game. This would be beneficial so that RCTw would stand out.

If I were in Atari's position I would probably consider making RCTw more realistic but not to the point of a simulator. Merge some of the style that we love with RCT1, RCT2, and RCT3 with added realism and I think they would have a good game on their hands. I just hope they take the time to create a great game.

0BobTheJanitor
06-22-2015, 06:03 PM
I'd rather wait for a good update than have an average one right now. It just seems that after E3 and Planet Coaster discussion has slowed.

k1ng r4t
06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Agreed.
Frontier opened up with a good hand. Now Atari can see what they're going up against.
Personally, I would strongly advise them not to "out-Frontier" Frontier. Meaning, I'm not expecting RCTW to follow up with cute mascots and bouncing trees.

I thought Atari opened up with a good hand, so did pretty much everyone else until December of 2014. Then again I also thought realistically, and told everyone to not get their hopes up so quickly. Unfortunately nobody listened and you saw the rest...So let's not get too excited just yet (should I even try this again?), cause you never know, first trailers are...first trailers.

PC looks great, but there's no telling how much of that is what in game will be like and it's clear at least part of it is fun "cut-scene" style footage to show features. So we'll see. I'm not doubting it, I'm just saying it's still way up in the air.

I do think Frontier follows RCTW heavily so they also had the advantage of learning from other's mistakes. Personally, I think a lot of people are jaded over RCTW and so are especially excited for Planet Coaster, when I think the reveals are pretty much on-par atm. And I'm not gonna lie, it looks cool, but I think Planet Coaster is a pretty....meh name. At least go with Coaster Planet! I liked CPT more, but I'm sure legal reasons prevented that one from happening.

I'm excited for both and will play both and think both will be amazing and can't wait for both to come out.

k1ng r4t
06-23-2015, 03:32 PM
It also seems like Frontier is giving a big slap in the face to Atari with their game. RCT WORLD, PLANET Coaster. Cartoony graphics, silly animations...I dunno, I see so many similarities that almost come off as parodies...

0BobTheJanitor
06-23-2015, 05:32 PM
It also seems like Frontier is giving a big slap in the face to Atari with their game. RCT WORLD, PLANET Coaster. Cartoony graphics, silly animations...I dunno, I see so many similarities that almost come off as parodies...

They both have coaster in their name as well :eek:

k1ng r4t
06-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Do they? I hadn't noticed...