PDA

View Full Version : cool video about rct3

Kombiice
06-02-2015, 03:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdzLiH3F6hE

Atari team, watch it!! He explains what ist missing in rct3. Thats could be a big help for rctw.

:)

rctshack
06-02-2015, 05:08 PM
How is that a cool video? It doesn't even have a point other than some random gameplay videos put together. You are aware that everyone here has played the roller coaster tycoon franchise before... right?

Future RCT
06-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Why do you put those exclamations in your titles?

magicart87
06-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Now that I've actually seen the youtube video I like the review. The reviewer does have solid points. It's worth a look.

The Stig
06-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Every single point, even though some are a little exaggerated, I agree with.
It's the tiny little details that we lost from the original that I feel can really make or break RCTW.

EDIT: MATT! I want you to hold a 45-minute meeting with your team and watch this video. Have them take notes.

Kombiice
06-05-2015, 01:31 AM
How is that a cool video? It doesn't even have a point other than some random gameplay videos put together. You are aware that everyone here has played the roller coaster tycoon franchise before... right?

Of course i am. But this video shows the little details i want.

unclekrusty
06-05-2015, 03:29 AM
The team could definitely afford to take some pointers from the video. A few subtle perfections can really make a difference.

CaptainJelle
06-05-2015, 05:39 AM
He's annoyed cause the begin screen in rct3 is fading into white, then into black. This is not a good video with no pointers at all only a personal rant against rct3.

Kombiice
06-05-2015, 08:22 AM
He's annoyed cause the begin screen in rct3 is fading into white, then into black. This is not a good video with no pointers at all only a personal rant against rct3.

did you see just the beginning ??

The Stig
06-05-2015, 10:49 AM
I especially liked the discussion about the multiple windows and how they were simplistic. He compared it to a park manager looking at spreadsheets.

Kombiice
06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Why do you put those exclamations in your titles?

why not ^^

Future RCT
06-06-2015, 07:38 PM
I don't like RCT3 at all compared to RCT2 and especially the original. This guy makes some great points.

luisov
06-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Seriously though... Who cares if the background is black or white? I mean... Really. He spent 20 minutes dissecting the game logos as if they were relevant or affected the gameplay in any way, shape or form.

I do agree with some points though.

RGamer2009
06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
This video has many good points:

- Presentation is important! The Intro pumps people up to play the game. Don't just make it a boring slideshow of logos, Give it some Energy! We are playing ROLLER COASTER TYCOON WORLD! Make it feel amazing to want to play it!

- The Interface/menus are EVERYTHING for these kinds of games. Make it simple and appealing to the eye. Bigger buttons are better for ease of access. Also circles just seem like a bad idea for menus!

- Sound Design is important as well. The Iconic sounds of people screaming on rides, Coaster chains moving, and just general peep chatter like in RCT 1 and 2 give your park a feeling of accomplishment. Even the simple click sound on menus gives the game an important feel. Don't make them annoying to listen too! Also don't make them random, Consistency is good!

- Progression!! Scenarios should be UNLOCKED. Make harder scenarios for the end game. Not all rides should be accessible from the start! The way rides and shops are unlocked in each scenario is important! If people want to just free build, give them a scenario editor or a sandbox function so they can build to their hearts content.

- Aesthetic Design! Make rides look the part too! Don't make them feel like cardboard cutouts, make them feel like RIDES! Proper shading, depth, and lighting go a long way to helping the game look good. Make scenarios different from each other, and not just flat boring pieces of land! Give them different dimensions and features. Also make the ride and shop designs look appealing!

- The MUSIC! The thread on iconic songs from RCT 1 and 2 is a good step to alleviating this one. Your in a theme park, make the music energetic and fun!

magicart87
06-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Well, you asked! LOL. A black background draws your attention to the center of the game = Immersion. A white background doesn't give us visual clues on where we should be focusing our attention. It's the little things. Yeah it may seem stupid, but most of his points are valid and really do have an affect on how we perceive the game.

OTR24
06-07-2015, 02:40 PM
ok so maybe it wasn't a "cool" video but it's definitely a relevant video for alot of long time RCT fans who feel that RCT3 was a step backwards. RCT3 with no mods hasn't aged well. But the original RCT is still enjoyable even WITHOUT mods. Think that says alot.

Andromeda
06-07-2015, 04:49 PM
This video wow. I enjoyed RCT3 but I never understood why I couldn't get into it as much as the older games. The older two I could sit for hours just playing away. It really was the small details like the menu, the interface, the lifeless coasters. I just realize I try to skip the intro and get out of the horrid menu as fast as I can to avoid the terrible design and the overly loud terrible music. Never had this problem with the old RCT games. I could sit at the menu and watch happily before I play.

hicarl
06-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Thank you for sharing this video. It does highlight some very important areas which I feel all make the user experience much better and closer to the original game which you all love. I hope the designers of the new rollercoaster tycoon world takes time to watch this video as it will definitely win back fans from the previous games.

rctshack
06-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Also why am I going to take seriously a review that says "Welcome to Forest Frontiers, ***got" at the 2:36 mark?