PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #9

Mattlab
06-01-2015, 04:05 PM
A thread for the discussion of RCTW Production Blog #9 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-9/)

Dear Fans,

The team had a great week finishing upgrades to the coaster building system. One exciting new feature is improved full validation of coaster track and feedback systems, so you know whether your track is going to be safe, “iffy” (build at your own risk!), or just plain impossible.

Work is continuing on the path system overhaul and while I don’t want to give away too much yet, the initial results are very promising. You will be able to do some very cool things not possible in any previous RCT game. This and the improved coaster physics system currently remain as primary focuses of the tech team, before they turn their attention to terrain and queues.

I would also like to take this time to highlight a recent thread I made in our forums (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?3170-Funny-Cool-Things-That-Peeps-Do)about the “Funny/Cool Things That Peeps Do” (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?3170-Funny-Cool-Things-That-Peeps-Do). Our design team is spending some time generating a list of actions and animations for the peeps and I wanted to make sure they heard your input – channel your creativity!

Lastly, I would like to now reveal the full hypercoaster that we teased a few weeks ago! Note the colors are a bit different as this is a night shot (so there are some artificial illumination sources we are not showing you yet). Otherwise, this is the same coaster you saw a few weeks ago – taken from within the game engine.

“Mattlab”
Executive Producer
RollerCoaster Tycoon World

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Hypercoasster_Tracks_002jpg-1100x824.jpg?9de0fa

imiha
06-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Wow, I like it very much! That wheels assembly looks awesome!

RCTFan
06-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I love it, thanks for update!!

killahboo
06-01-2015, 04:14 PM
It looks beautiful!

I hope the attention to detail is the same across the whole game. I'm getting excited again!

Loving the updates... thank you!

apdergrosse
06-01-2015, 04:23 PM
just love these updates. Pls keep these dev blogs up.
Thumb UP

TyrellCaesar
Great informative blog.

Sounds like they're finally going to improve the path system rather then the basic 90 degrees path in rct3.

Great news.

Is there any chances that placing objects and standard rides can be faced in other directions aswell.

Caine
Looks really good and it's nice to see the progress of the development.
But Mattlab you're evil:

Work is continuing on the path system overhaul and while I don’t want to give away too much yet, the initial results are very promising. You will be able to do some very cool things not possible in any previous RCT game.

Now I guess that 20 guys asking: "Does it mean that we get curved paths?"

TyrellCaesar
06-01-2015, 04:24 PM
I forgot to add.. as long as peeps don't puke like the end of the trailer I'll be happy

RCTWLemondude617
06-01-2015, 04:31 PM
This model just seems...right.

Lighting-Not too realistic, but very detailed, bright, and vibrant.
Coaster tracks-the same as before. Even though they didn't use Stig's idea, I'm cool with it. It looks good.
Coaster car-This is awesome! Restraints look really good! The art team is going to have to match this level of realism with the animation of peeps entering and exiting the ride, so that is gonna be awesome :D

Looks great! I'm really looking forward to some screenshots that go beyond coaster tracks.

RCTWLemondude617
06-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Looks really good and it's nice to see the progress of the development.
But Mattlab you're evil:

Now I guess that 20 guys asking: "Does it mean that we get curved paths?"

I'm hoping it will be like Zoo tycoon: more flexible than basic 90 degree stuff, but provides enough ease of use for casual players and scenario players.

PhiX-174
06-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Good to see RCTW development moving forwards again.

ddrplaya4638
06-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Looks very promising Mattlab! Thank you for these updates, I feel the momentum for the game and its fan base picking up again. I hope to see more but I think I speak for everyone that the realism in this coaster is enough to restore some confidence. Hopefully for E3 you all can show off some footage and gain a lot of positive press. My advice would be to remove the old screenshots and teasers Asap! This game looks like it is going to look light-years better then it was a few months ago.

Please continue these frequent blogs as they are seriously going to restore the fan base and our excitement.

When we find out the developers that are in charge now?

coaster6
06-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Yes! Thank you for the continuous updates! The hyper coaster looks great; I can't wait to make Steel Force! I would like to see some more pictures, though. We really don't know what the game looks like as of now. You're restoring my faith Mattlab!

CaseyCBeard
06-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Very impressive! Surprised to see ANOTHER blog post so soon. Not complaining though. The colors and graphics look amazing! I'm excited to see what paths look like and I can't wait to see the peeps!

maxfreak
06-01-2015, 05:54 PM
While I am remaining cautiously optimistic, I have to hand it to you guys. That looks incredible, keep it coming Mattlab. I may have to eat my words if you keep it up at this pace! This actually gave me tickles of excitement, just thinking of the potential this has.

PixelPlayer
06-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Show us the coaster in a park...

simtom
06-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Any words on the MixMaster Fireworks editor?

magicart87
06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
"Whistling Cat Call" That gal's a beauty! Centerfold material. Great job!

Now...who's the developer!? ;)

jerseygrrll
06-01-2015, 06:08 PM
:D Love it!

magicart87
06-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Do I detect a subtle Bloom effect!? NICE! I love the atmosphere that Bloom gives.

ExtraCheese
06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Thank you for another great update Mattlab! I'm so pleased you guys are updating us on a regular basis now. The rollercoaster looks great, can't wait to see it together with other elements from the game.

Any idea on when we can expect to hear about the new developer? :)

LilyValley
06-01-2015, 06:30 PM
This looks very promising! It's nice to hear how fast things are going.

magicart87
06-01-2015, 06:36 PM
One exciting new feature is improved full validation of coaster track and feedback systems, so you know whether your track is going to be safe, “iffy” (build at your own risk!), or just plain impossible.

Will we still have EIN: Excitement, Intensity and Nausea ratings as well as G-force data, etc?

Wizzerzak
06-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Something doesn't sit right about the chairs (pun not intended) for me, maybe they're too high or the backs aren't high enough but something seems off. Anyway, loving this progress though, been a massive RCT fan since I was very young and have put thousands of hours into the game. Was very disappointed at the trailer released a while ago but this update has given me a new hope and reason to sign up to the new forums (I guess they're new, my old Atari account wasn't recognised).

Wabigbear
06-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Excellent.

These short and sweet updates are PERFECT, so glad to see them coming regularly.

darkhorizon
06-01-2015, 07:11 PM
LOVE IT! You guys are really impressing me!

The train looks awesome! I'm nitpicky by nature, the front of the train looks a little "plain", but honestly I am so excited to see this in game.

CedarPointFan
06-01-2015, 07:31 PM
That B&M train tho! That is awesome, glad to see the team working so hard, keep it up :D

Carl-
06-01-2015, 07:35 PM
I completely agree with a lot of the positive comments. Confidence in the game is slowly being restored across the community, thanks Mattlab and team for listening to our feedback, I have no doubt this game will be as big, if not bigger than the previous versions from the franchise.

Angel
06-01-2015, 07:42 PM
That train looks great! Thanks for this update, Mattlab. Faith is slowly but surely being restored, but we're not quite there yet. You guys are on the right track though. And, eager as we are for every little bit you can show us, please keep 'em coming :D.

magicart87
06-01-2015, 07:50 PM
LOVE IT! You guys are really impressing me!

The train looks awesome! I'm nitpicky by nature, the front of the train looks a little "plain", but honestly I am so excited to see this in game.

We just need a way to affix a scenery element on top! Like an Phoenix or something! ;)

maxfreak
06-01-2015, 07:50 PM
I have my fingers crossed that they have something for E3. They could really use some thunder to ride off of after the backlash from their last trailer.

Carl-
06-01-2015, 07:51 PM
The only thing that will restore faith completely back to 100% into the game (even with the haters) will be video of gameplay showing off amazing Unity5 graphics ;)

coaster6
06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
We just need a way to affix a scenery element on top! Like an Phoenix or something! ;)

You just hit the nail of the head! We should be able to design our cars!

magicart87
06-01-2015, 08:05 PM
You just hit the nail of the head! We should be able to design our cars!

Yep! It would be pretty cool. https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?3169-Custom-Coaster-Decals

JMR
06-01-2015, 09:58 PM
When I first clicked to read this, I immediately just glared at the screenshot ignoring all the text, marvelling at it.

A big high five to everyone on the art team! A job very well done. I cannot wait to see this coaster going around a track in all it's glory. If these graphics are going to be just as good everywhere else in this game, I am going to be so happy. (I'm getting all buzzed just thinking about it :rolleyes: )

Now onto the news about the validation and feedback systems, that will be fantastic! I really pleased to hear that you're allowing for failure in the design of a coaster, whilst providing the info necessary to prevent that failure! This is a key and very important gameplay aspect that I am very pleased about!

A path system overhaul! Yes! Yes! Yes! Fantastic! I'd say "curved paths" is one of the most echo'd suggestions out there!

I am very excited to see what will come next, once again, thank you for the fantasitic update!

- Sent from my tablet at 3am. ( I had to post as soon as I saw this?! )

landmers
06-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Looks like someone got a new PR boss for which I am very thankful. Atari is finally giving some info on a regular basis. See? That's all you had to do to keep us ravenous fans happy.

Keep up the good work.

keeper262
06-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the update, the coaster looks great!

OTR24
06-02-2015, 01:01 AM
awesome :D

James
06-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Looks fantastic. Faith is slowly restoring, keep it up!

OnlyQuads
06-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Finally some consistency! Thank you for the update! Render looks fantastic!

Wayne
06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Being able to design our cars would be cool. But I would rather see modding tools for this ability, we could get so much more detailed work with being able to add decals/colors to possibly a image file such as a .tga or something that you could import into a certain folder for those particular rides, once this is done then you could possibly go in game and from a menu select to use your art work? Unless if this has already been said then great!

I have not had the time to keep up here but things are progressing great, and I'm super excited again about the posts that have been coming out, love the teasers as well!

Kombiice
06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
A thread for the discussion of RCTW Production Blog #9 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-9/)

really cool update. with a bit more refraction / reflection in unity it is awesome

rct-uwe
06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the update Mattlab!
And one big thank you to the whole team working on RCTW!
Keep going that way...

I wonder why the track on the pic is glossy and the train is not...
Not finished yet?
I would expect that at least the red body of the train is glossy, too.

Mattlab
06-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the update Mattlab!
And one big thank you to the whole team working on RCTW!
Keep going that way...

I wonder why the track on the pic is glossy and the train is not...
Not finished yet?
I would expect that at least the red body of the train is glossy, too.

Difference between day and night mode ;) The teaser pic was shot during daytime illumination and the night one is illuminated using nighttime lights.

Kombiice
06-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Difference between day and night mode ;) The teaser pic was shot during daytime illumination and the night one is illuminated using nighttime lights.

One really small thing that every rollercoaster game makes wrong is the topspin anim. the "car" where the people sit isnt motorized. there is a break in it. only sometimes it will be on. the moving of the arms is the key point for the loops. its at all free swinging. :)

Future RCT
06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Reading the responses to this blog on r/rct makes me wonder what people want. Before people were complaining about too few updates, now that we have more frequent updates, they are complaining that Atari isn't showing enough with each update (I seriously doubt the average high school student could make what was shown here). Not to mention they're being incredibly nitpicky. I would take these visuals any day of the week over what was shown in the disastrous trailer. Luckily, the people here generally seem to be more fair. Obviously we need to see more, but this looks very promising, to me at least.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/384iip/roller_coaster_tycoon_world_production_blog_9/

Sir Isaac
06-02-2015, 01:29 PM
It's good to see some progress... Looking forward to more updates... Maybe some recent concept art can be shown soon?

The Stig
06-02-2015, 01:31 PM
That train looks really fantastic! I just want to pick it up and play with it.
Just put some wheels on the last car and it'll be perfect. ;)
I'm super impressed. Mad props to the art and design team. I wish I could buy you all lunch.

k1ng r4t
06-02-2015, 03:37 PM
You can buy me lunch Stig

magicart87
06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
You can buy me lunch Stig

Lunch? I'll take a cold one!

SparkyUK
06-02-2015, 06:07 PM

Ho Le ****. That looks epicly good! I'm loving these shorter more frequent updates, too.

SymphonyX4
06-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Something doesn't sit right about the chairs (pun not intended) for me, maybe they're too high or the backs aren't high enough but something seems off.

Maybe it's because they are floating! ;)

magicart87
06-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Well how about that! Ha. The seats are not anchored to coaster. LOL.

0BobTheJanitor
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Mod support would greatly increase the game for detail seekers, to allow for simple mesh fixes.

Mookieboy
06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Reading the responses to this blog on r/rct makes me wonder what people want. Before people were complaining about too few updates, now that we have more frequent updates, they are complaining that Atari isn't showing enough with each update (I seriously doubt the average high school student could make what was shown here). Not to mention they're being incredibly nitpicky. I would take these visuals any day of the week over what was shown in the disastrous trailer. Luckily, the people here generally seem to be more fair. Obviously we need to see more, but this looks very promising, to me at least.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/384iip/roller_coaster_tycoon_world_production_blog_9/

No one is really complaining... I don't know what you are seeing.

dwwilkin
06-03-2015, 11:36 AM
It is great to have another Blog Post so quickly. The frequency is what we as a community need to feel that the project moves ever forward. Personally hope we see the next blog on a new gameplay mechanic or issue and not realism of graphic rendering of models. Love that we get new pics

warcat61
06-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Some people are never satisfied unless they are b*#@ning about something.

tnt88
06-03-2015, 05:10 PM
The more realistic it gets, the better.

ExtraCheese
06-03-2015, 06:03 PM
It is great to have another Blog Post so quickly. The frequency is what we as a community need to feel that the project moves ever forward. Personally hope we see the next blog on a new gameplay mechanic or issue and not realism of graphic rendering of models. Love that we get new pics

I agree! I'm convinced that the game will look great now we have seen a render of the rollercoaster, so maybe focus on something different next blog post :). (Sorry if it sounds too demanding, I'm very happy to get these small and informative blog posts, but hey, I'm a fan :D)

CoasterMadness
06-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I agree with tnt that realism is great, but I also ExtraCheese and dwwilkin that some updates to gameplay mechanics would also be most welcome. :)

Addictex
06-03-2015, 07:57 PM
The more realistic it gets, the better.

I disagree. Realism is good, but this is Rollercoaster Tycoon. Chris Sawyer wanted the game to be cartoonish and fun to play, but still be realistic. It needs to be somewhere in the middle.

Future RCT
06-03-2015, 08:19 PM
I disagree. Realism is good, but this is Rollercoaster Tycoon. Chris Sawyer wanted the game to be cartoonish and fun to play, but still be realistic. It needs to be somewhere in the middle.

Agreed. I'm honestly tired of hearing the term "realism" being used when it comes to this franchise, because people forget the charm the series had with its first two games. This isn't NoLimits 2 or Theme Park Studio.

magicart87
06-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Right?

It should be realistic in structure and function and strive to be visually accurate... but more so visually interesting!

RCT was built with great detail using limited resources. The designer(s) seemed to be very aware of their limitations and I think compensated with some aesthetic humor. A crutch possibly; but it also gave the game a character all it's own. (or at least until it was copied thousands of times over by competing companies, trying to replicate that same magic formula of "Tycoon") Something about it visually -- just worked!

That aspect though; a self-deprecating, slightly over-the-top visual style is what gave RCT it's uniqueness. This was continued into RCT3, but done I think, a bit more bluntly and perhaps not as creative as the original or as respectfully represented. Then again, it is hard to improve upon what already works. And what works? Rollercoaster Tycoon has always been a blend of realism and artistic license. Any RCT title should hope to find a similar style.

I feel like we should always strive for realism but we need not forget to give the game a visual identity. It's a balancing act!
We can have realism but not at the sacrifice of an identity.

Realism? - We can have realism without it being sterile or generic. And at the same time, I think we can have generic aspects as long as we keep RCT, RCT!

I won't go so far as to say that the images provided in recent blog posts are perfect, because we haven't been given enough visual data to see said "Identity" but I think we are approaching a direction that is visually appropriate for the next RCT platform. So, I'm pleased so far.

BUT!

Visuals are only half of the battle...

Future RCT
06-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Right?

It should be realistic in structure and function and strive to be visually accurate... but more so visually interesting!

RCT was built with great detail using limited resources. The designer(s) seemed to be very aware of their limitations and I think compensated with some aesthetic humor. A crutch possibly; but it also gave the game a character all it's own. (or at least until it was copied thousands of times over by competing companies, trying to replicate that same magic formula of "Tycoon") Something about it visually -- just worked!

That aspect though; a self-deprecating, slightly over-the-top visual style is what gave RCT it's uniqueness. This was continued into RCT3, but done I think, a bit more bluntly and perhaps not as creative as the original or as respectfully represented. Then again, it is hard to improve upon what already works. And what works? Rollercoaster Tycoon has always been a blend of realism and artistic license. Any RCT title should hope to find a similar style.

I feel like we should always strive for realism but we need not forget to give the game a visual identity. It's a balancing act!
We can have realism but not at the sacrifice of an identity.

Realism? - We can have realism without it being sterile or generic. And at the same time, I think we can have generic aspects as long as we keep RCT, RCT!

I won't go so far as to say that the images provided in recent blog posts are perfect, because we haven't been given enough visual data to see said "Identity" but I think we are approaching a direction that is visually appropriate for the next RCT platform. So, I'm pleased so far.

BUT!

Visuals are only half of the battle...

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's important to note also that a game that tries to look realistic will look like **** in 10 years, but a game with a unique visual style can look appealing forever. The RCT 1 and 2 visuals are still eye candy to me to this day, and this is one of the reasons why I'm excited for Theme Parkitect.

BeerWhiskers
06-03-2015, 11:30 PM
Thanks for another update Matlab! - Please keep them coming.

Dally
06-04-2015, 05:07 AM
That looks great!! Thank you Mattlab for the more frequent updates. We are very excited that things seem to be getting back on track. Please keep the updates and pictures coming!

Eximite
06-04-2015, 08:38 AM
I can't wait to build the "Silver Star" from the Europa Park in Germany :O. I think the coaster Looks really realistic!

Keep it up! It looks really amazing!

Fireseed
06-05-2015, 03:55 AM
That looks really great ! You are doing well, RCT 1 and 2 was the best game I've ever played. The 3 was great and hope this one will be outstanding? I can't wait any longer for this game!So many great ideas are post on this forum, I hope you will make it real at least half of those things! Thanks for your work!

Sgt. DAN [GER]
06-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Thanks Mattlab for the dev blogs :) It´s good for me to get a permanent update about the development. Picture looks very great! Keep it up! :D

chichesth
06-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks Mattlab. That model looks quite good, can't wait to see thoose peeps animations and some roller coaster designs. Thanks again for keeping us informed.

Rctsteve
06-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Looks good now release it all ready. :D

freez99313
06-09-2015, 09:18 PM
I posted something like this not too long ago, I was wondering if we could get some early game footage, I mean I understand that you guys don't want to give too much away, but I believe that if you release a tiny bit of more information... You could raise the hype for this. I mean I am extremely grateful that you guys are always updating us constantly, every week or so, but I have heard enough talk. Show us some early stuff please!;)

Acid Regulation
06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
looks excellent. my hopes for a quality game are back. now let's hope that the tycoon aspect of the game will be as good as this.

dwwilkin
06-10-2015, 02:42 PM
looks excellent. my hopes for a quality game are back. now let's hope that the tycoon aspect of the game will be as good as this.

Yes! Time to give the Tycoon side some highlights of what is to come!

Kendall
06-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Can you guys point the front more cause it looks like a box and leave a little more space in between the rows

Kendall
06-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Can we also get the 2nd generation hyper

MattLydon
06-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Looking awesome!

freez99313
07-01-2015, 01:31 AM
Right? :D I need ma game!