PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #8

Mattlab
05-26-2015, 05:20 PM
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #8 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-8/)

Dear Fans,

We wanted to provide a brief update on progress and say that new shots will be shared as soon as they are available.

Last week the tech team crossed a major hurdle and completed work on the initial version of the upgraded coaster builder – a critical component of this current milestone. This is by far one of the most complex parts of the game due to all of the math involved in allowing players to build and edit in 3D space! We also spent some time doing initial user testing and we were happy to see how quickly and easily they were able to build complex coasters using the new UX. That said, there is still work to be done so that we can include all of the features and ease of UX we want in the coaster tool. Some of the tech team will remain on cleaning up tasks related to the coaster tool while the rest move onto upgrading the coaster physics simulation, path systems, as well as other game components.

One little interesting development that I would like to share was from our recent sound meeting. The team has been working on bringing back some of the nostalgic sounds from the old games, based heavily on this thread (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?2973-The-great-iconic-RCT-music-debate) from our forums. We believe we have identified some of the key themes from the past games as well as a great direction for some additional new high quality effects, but if you have any suggestions be sure to add them in our forum thread!

Finally, for those of you who said the coaster in our last blog’s screenshots was a “hypercoaster”, you were right! Stay tuned for an upcoming blog to see the full thing!

“Mattlab”
Executive Producer
RollerCoaster Tycoon World

CaseyCBeard
05-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the update! I like this constant contact from you all on how things are going. :) Looking forward to the Hypercoaster update!

sneakysnake
05-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Can't wait, looking forward to the whole picture. Thanks for staying updated with the community

CreamyBeef
05-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Yes!! I would like to see a dive machine in the game! Nice that you are finally making work on it.

RCTFan
05-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks for update!! I control the blog everyday!

ddrplaya4638
05-26-2015, 05:30 PM
This is exactly the communication we want! Thank you!!!!

keeper262
05-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the update! I can't wait to play!

ExtraCheese
05-26-2015, 06:08 PM
These small updates are great Mattlab! Keep them coming :)!
Its really cool to know what has been developed and what is next. I'm very curious about the coaster designer and the new sounds!

RollerTurns4365
05-26-2015, 06:24 PM
Is there going to be new brands joining in? Like Hersheypark in RCT3? :o

Wabigbear
05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
This sort of update was perfect! A brief look at what you've been up to this week and a couple news items. I think this is wonderful.

Big thumbs up!

JMR
05-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the brief update. Pleased to hear about you hitting that milestone on the coaster builder! :)

I am also pleased that you're encouraging forum activity, by giving examples of feedback that you have listened to. People will read a short update like this and think "Oh, I have some feedback about the types of music I'd like to see in RCTW!"

I look forward to seeing the full hypercoaster!

Mr_Sleepless
05-26-2015, 07:42 PM
This is a huge milestone! :D Great to see all the hard work coming to fruition! Congrats and thanks for the update!

Nagta
05-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Thank you for the update MattLab. It's really appreicated. Good to hear the game is heading to a pretty sound destination.

OTR24
05-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Much better than before. Updates should be weekly. Even if it's small things like you mentioned. I understand production of this game was in limbo. Nice to see it's back on track no pun intended. :)

OTR24
05-26-2015, 08:08 PM
The team has been working on bringing back some of the nostalgic sounds from the old games, based heavily on this thread from our forums.

I hope they also improve ambient sounds like wind swirling. Crowd noises. Coasters screams. Birds chirping. Thunder etc...

Mattlab
05-26-2015, 08:30 PM
I hope they also improve ambient sounds like wind swirling. Crowd noises. Coasters screams. Birds chirping. Thunder etc...

We are paying really close attention to all of the sounds that make a themepark a themepark! You may even see one of teams, unbeknownst to you, recording at one ;)

keith.moussa.km
05-26-2015, 08:34 PM
I must see that coaster!!!

keith.moussa.km
05-26-2015, 08:35 PM
We are paying really close attention to all of the sounds that make a themepark a themepark! You may even see one of teams, unbeknownst to you, recording at one ;)
RCT2 title theme!!!

coaster6
05-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Great job on keeping us updated! The sounds really were great, and especially those screams! Glad to see you're making progress on the coaster builder. Good to know you're using user testing as well. These blogs are great and keep us well informed. Good luck to the new team.

darkhorizon
05-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Lovin' these little updates. Definitely starting to feel like an actual blog now, major kudos.

When the time is right, are you guys planning on doing some sort of quick video demonstration of the coaster editor? Or maybe an animated gif to show the jist of it would be cool.

BTW, the mention of upgrading the path system is kinda giving me butterflies. I hope this means some sort of curved path system is planned (as it should be!).

This probably would warrant its own thread, but I always imagined curved paths could be worked out in a manner similar to how curved roads work in Cities: Skylines and Sim City - click and drag.

garretslarrity
05-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Now this update really did not reveal anything. However, the response shows you much we appreciate simply knowing that you're alive. I would love to see a mini update like this once a week!

landmers
05-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Wow. Frequent updates. Nice, Atari.

LilyValley
05-26-2015, 10:07 PM
I am glad to hear frequently from you. I am also very eager for the nice tracks you'll remake for this game.

Hanazakari86
05-27-2015, 04:11 AM
nice music!! and I hope we can add custom music for roller coaxers and for the park speakers as well!! :rolleyes:
and way to goo !!!
cannot wait to play the game!!:cool:

ExtraCheese
05-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Now this update really did not reveal anything. However, the response shows you much we appreciate simply knowing that you're alive. I would love to see a mini update like this once a week!

What are you talking about? This update revealed so much! They use our suggestions and idea's for the music, they have finished the rollercoaster editor, tested user experience, confirmed the coaster is a hyper coaster and they are now working on upgrading coaster physics simulation, path systems (curved paths perhaps?) and 'other game components'.

There is a lot of info in it and I personally think the info is valid now (unlike the earlier blog posts).

The Stig
05-27-2015, 08:49 AM
There is a lot of info in it and I personally think the info is valid now (unlike the earlier blog posts).

Still better than blog 5 & 6.

twimflyer
05-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update mattlab.
I really appreciate that there are devlogs on a regular basis now.
Since the coaster builder is is finished (or at least in an advanced state in development) what do you think about a video showing some basic techniques? I think everybody would love to see it in action even if its only 10 seconds long.

Best regards
twinflyer

crick
05-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the updates 7 and 8. I am very happy to see, there is something growing :)

Can't wait for for more updates and media in future. I am so f*cking curious!

DonSPa
05-27-2015, 01:29 PM
great to see another update,it helps keep the negativity down,just knowing that things are progressing.I have the feeling we are about to see more in game stuff very very soon.Sounds is a very important part of the game everything from crowd noise,coasters banging as they hit bottom of a track,water splashing,music from the different themes.And whats a park with out hearing a kid laugh,teens screaming,kids crying or even the occasional "mommy i gotta pee" or "im hungry"Would love nothing more than to put on a set of head phones ,close my eyes and with the sounds being able to visualize actually being at a park.I like probally most want to have a game that plays excellent with no bugs,smooth,easy building,beautiful "wow" graphics and amazing sound is this asking for too much ? lolol but again ty matt for another update

mb1.0.2
05-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. That's exactly what was needed: we did this. No pics yet, but soon. Here's how we're using your suggestions. /end blog post. It's really that simple. I wonder if this is coming from the secret developer? Maybe they understand the importance of community interaction better than Area52/Atari?

Thanks, Matt. It's clear from the way you've been writing these posts since the first that you really aren't the one pulling the string on what does/doesn't get shown. Nice to see whoever has taken charge is showing the community a bit more respect and allowing you to actually keep us in the loop. Much appreciated.

jackson13015
05-27-2015, 01:52 PM
vivement qu il sort se jeux je suis impatient :):D

thebigdaddy
05-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Please Please Please add more flat rides and kiddie rides. Add the element of traveling carnivals. Would love to have Rock-o-plane, orbitor,swinger, 1001 nachts, sellner spin rides, fun-houses.........

Kombiice
05-27-2015, 03:22 PM
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #8 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-8/)

Cool update !! Do you think, there will be some short videos in the posts ?? maybe an animation or test ride.

regards

The Stig
05-27-2015, 03:55 PM
We also spent some time doing initial user testing...

Is that like beta testing?

jerseygrrll
05-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Great update, Mattlab. Kudos to Atari for listening to their fanbase. I agree with Wabigbear...

Big thumbs up!

garretslarrity
05-27-2015, 09:49 PM
What are you talking about? This update revealed so much! They use our suggestions and idea's for the music, they have finished the rollercoaster editor, tested user experience, confirmed the coaster is a hyper coaster and they are now working on upgrading coaster physics simulation, path systems (curved paths perhaps?) and 'other game components'.

As in it did not reveal new game content. It just told us what they are up to. Which, like I said, is not a bad thing. This is a "Production Blog" after all. I just wanted the developers to know that they do not have to use their limited supply of new game content in order to communicate with us.

Aaronroberts
05-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Add the element of traveling carnivals
Ha.

The blog is good, I'm really looking forward to see what this roller coaster looks like, and on a more important note, how these "Path Systems" are going to work, looks like the game is heading in an awesome direction.

I don't have a problem with the "realism" thing that people wanted, realistic is cool, so that we can all build Parks that we've been to in real life, but I do hope that we'll be seeing a crazy expansion pack in the future ;0
It wouldn't be RCT if we didn't have parks like Iceberg Islands & Volcania :D

Maybe bring back a few of the more memorable parks from RCT1,2 & 3

Regasaurus14
05-28-2015, 02:08 AM
When is NO.9 coming out

Tommy59375
05-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Right, hello, Area 52 people.
Have only one thing to say here*

Do it properly. Not saying you aren't, but this game had better live up to expectations of the diehard fans. Push back that release date, although it's obvious that by now it won't be in 2015 at all. Heck, aim for anything before 2020 and we'll all be happy. But do it properly. Don't cut corners. Don't make the game anything like the trailer, or RCT4. And, don't pull a SimCity. We don't want the game to be designed for super low-end machines, we don't want tiny plots of land, and all the limitations of that game. From what I gather, RCTW is going to be more optimized for multiplayer, and that worries me to be honest. Make sure there is at least a decent singleplayer experience (think, like RCT1's EIGHTY-ONE scenarios).

Sorry if this came across hostile, but hopefully you get my point. I want to have high expectations for this game but from what I've read of Area 52, I don't know if I can.

Thanks.
- Just another RCT fan.

*I lied. That may have been more than one thing.

DonSPa
05-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Right, hello, Area 52 people.
Have only one thing to say here*

I agree pretty much what u say but I dont think area 52 is involved anymore because in blog 6 matt said theres a new team but they havn't released who this new team is,for some reason they are keeping its secret

GGD123
05-28-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm glad that the Dev Blog is being updated more frequently after the wobble that was the trailer release. Looking forward to more.

Bertje
05-29-2015, 08:41 AM
'...upgrading the coaster physics simulation, path systems, as well as other game components.'

So does this mean we will get curved paths!?

RCTFan
05-29-2015, 08:55 AM
'...upgrading the coaster physics simulation, path systems, as well as other game components.'

So does this mean we will get curved paths!?

or a texture upgrade

Bertje
05-29-2015, 11:42 AM
or a texture upgrade

as they mentioned things like coaster physics and other game components in the same sentence, I don't think they're specifically talking about path textures. If they do mean a texture upgrade for paths, why would they say that it's for paths only? Everything needs a texture upgrade after what we've seen in the trailer.

Sir Isaac
05-29-2015, 02:28 PM
I hope they don't focus so much on the online park-collab sandbox thing. I seriously don't care about that.I just want an awesome new RCT game... Like RCT3 but without the limitations... and an UNDO BUTTON. I hate how everything was final in RCT3 and if you screwed up, you screwed up and had to reload the game from the last save point or try to fix whatever you messed up... like land forming and stuff.

Lapuente
05-29-2015, 02:45 PM
will it still come on early 2015? or 16?

Future RCT
05-29-2015, 04:03 PM
will it still come on early 2015?

Yes, they are going to invent a time machine, travel back to early 2015, and release the game then.

Tommy59375
05-29-2015, 08:03 PM
I agree pretty much what u say but I dont think area 52 is involved anymore because in blog 6 matt said theres a new team but they havn't released who this new team is,for some reason they are keeping its secret

Really? So what is mattlab a part of then? Just Atari? I assumed Area 52..

darkhorizon
05-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Really? So what is mattlab a part of then? Just Atari? I assumed Area 52..

Did you read the last blog post?

And here's a hint: his avatar is the Atari logo.

gabrielm.becker
05-30-2015, 03:36 PM

Hello , you need to make a new gameplay roller coaster tycoon game world with the most updated graphics because many people were disappointed with the graphics of the first gameplay. big hug

Marvin
05-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Really happy to see all the new updates. I remember coming here a few weeks ago after about a month away and there was literally nothing new to read about. This is much better.

Please, please, please, include curved paths. It's honestly a must have for me.

Millennium_Force
05-30-2015, 07:54 PM
If we don't get curved paths can we at least be able to build them at 45 degree angles without them looking like a staircase?

Rctsteve
06-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Screen Shots Screen Shots!

Mattlab
06-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Screen Shots Screen Shots!

Coming today! :)

imiha
06-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Guess who is staying up tonight :cool: mattlab you better deliver, or else ... :rolleyes:

Mattlab
06-01-2015, 04:06 PM
ITS HERE! Just put blog #9 live.

imiha
06-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Well, that was fast!