PDA

View Full Version : The devblog6 Speculation and Discussion Thread

The Stig
05-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Who do you think the new development team is? Whatever happened to Area 52? What new features do you think will be announced? How much better will the graphics be? How will coaster supports look? Will they add dark rides? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? How many days has it been since devblog 6, and when is devblog 7?

This is the thread to discuss all of this and more.

AzothStorm
05-14-2015, 10:40 AM
who cares what happened to Area 52 games as long as there out of the picture its a step in the right direction. and it takes 476 licks lmao(did a project on it in middle school lmao) and honestly I give it another 2 months

The Stig
05-14-2015, 11:58 AM
I did a little digging around and came across Firaxis Games. Firaxis was co-founded by Sid Meier who used to work for Micropose, so he's probably had his hand on RCT before in a previous installment. But wait, it gets better. Around the time that we were all playing RCT3, Firaxis released "Sid Meier's Railroad!", which was a sort of sequel to Railroad Tycoon 3. And more recently, released Civilization: Beyond Earth, the latest sequel in the Civilizations series. Both games received very decent scores.

Given Sid's experience with sequels to popular game series and past experience with Micropose, could Firaxis be the new developer put in charge of RCTW?

Nagta
05-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Doesn't matter, Atari's involved. As long as thy don't change, this game will continue going down the tracks.

Spencinator
05-14-2015, 04:39 PM
I really want to know about the tootsie pop

coaster6
05-14-2015, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE
A bunch of tweens posting multiple threads to discuss the same topic. Extremely annoying.[/QUOTE]Your ignorance amazes me. You said that you hate when "Tweens" go crazy over DevBlogs. I honestly don't have a problem with your post, even though that's what the comments are for,
but why say that if you're going to completely ignore your own post?

ExtraCheese
05-15-2015, 03:33 AM
I did a little digging around and came across Firaxis Games. Firaxis was co-founded by Sid Meier who used to work for Micropose, so he's probably had his hand on RCT before in a previous installment. But wait, it gets better. Around the time that we were all playing RCT3, Firaxis released "Sid Meier's Railroad!", which was a sort of sequel to Railroad Tycoon 3. And more recently, released Civilization: Beyond Earth, the latest sequel in the Civilizations series. Both games received very decent scores.

Given Sid's experience with sequels to popular game series and past experience with Micropose, could Firaxis be the new developer put in charge of RCTW?

That would be awesome, but I don't think Sid will want to burn his hands on this project...

The Stig
05-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Matt's statement about the new dev team being kept a secret so they don't become distracted just strikes me as bizarre. If the new dev team wants to get involved with the community, isn't that a good thing?

And I'm reading a lot about Area 52 being gone. Are we sure? Matt never said specifically that "We want to thank them for their work, and getting us to this stage in development." (then again, Matt's not known for being very specific) I've also read that the Area 52 team was very small. Like, 5 people or something. Is there a possibility that they're still being kept around? Or at least in close contact should they find any bugs to fix?

The team seems to work like a Combat Rogue on a Killing Spree. They're dealing crit damage in burst, but have no control over where it's being directed. And when it's all said and done, they eliminate their high threat by Vanishing until their next Ambush opportunity.... When what they should be doing is keeping their Slice and Dice on cooldown and take full advantage of their Bandit's Guile to maximize DPS.

Deuce
05-15-2015, 11:38 AM
The truth is out :)

https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?3058-DEV-BLOG-6-Uncut!

RCTWLemondude617
05-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Some of my thoughts on the blog post and the community's reaction to it:

1. Mattlab may be stretching the adjectives in his blog posts, but the fact that he would use these words probably means a significant improvement. Why do I believe this? Because Atari now knows, with the trailer reaction, that taking a dump on the franchise is going to end them and they will probably never come back. From that trailer alone, quite obviously in pre-alpha, they lost TONS of support from their fans, and many people thought RCT was RIP. If Mattlab and Atari are using adjectives in their blog posts now to raise the community's expectation level from that trailer, I just don't believe that Atari will be that stupid to kill those terms he used to (try to) hype the community regarding the game.

2. We all pretty much know by now that Mattlab is listening. While the blog posts have a chance of being a load of market-talk, Mattlab has responded plenty o' times to posts around the forums. He even said he sent some ideas in the forum to the dev team! This should mean that Mattlab knows what the community wants regarding the game's functions, and thus he should be, in theory, a pretty reliable figure in the community. I don't think he would post a load of BS at the same time he's responding to feature requests and asking questions about the community's viewpoint on a multitude of topics.

I may edit in more thoughts late, but thinking this situation through in a realistic manner surprisingly hasn't dropped my hype for the game (much); I'm still feeling quite enthusiastic and excited about this upcoming RCT title.

By the way, I think it takes a little more thank 500 licks... but I'm not 100% sure...

DMB1985
05-16-2015, 04:30 AM
There is no chance of Firaxis being the developer. They are owned by Take-Two Interactive so I highly doubt they would let one of their most notable developers produce a game in a well known franchise for another publisher. Realistically, I expect the developer to be another cheap option that lack the experience to deliver the premium title that Atari are claiming RCTW will be.

MichaelA
05-16-2015, 06:31 AM
People are absolutely cynical about this game based off of the pre-alpha Teaser(not even actual gameplay) videos. Quite an overreaction, if you ask me. Until' I see an actual video with menus and all, seeing how the game will actually play and look, I'm not going to get mad and I'm keeping high hopes up for the franchise, especially since this is all from pre-polished screenshots from a pre-alpha game.
The thing here, then, that I feel they messed up on was the wording of the title on the main RCTW Gameplay Teaser - They COULD have stated it was a pre-alpha, and even said the graphics haven't been updated but that's on the to-do in the description - but nope, we all thought the trailer was how the game will be released and played - because it is a gameplay trailer after all, titled as such. It felt more like a "world premiere" trailer - but the game is so unpolished at it's current state fan reaction bombed hard. If there were more indication I feel as if some of this flak could have been avoided. Not to mention, the fact that there never were regular screenshot updates or blogs means every kernel of info we do get, especially of how the game currently looks, will be scrutinized to high hell.

MR.sugar
05-16-2015, 06:51 AM
People are absolutely cynical about this game based off of the pre-alpha Teaser(not even actual gameplay) videos. Quite an overreaction, if you ask me. Until' I see an actual video with menus and all, seeing how the game will actually play and look, I'm not going to get mad and I'm keeping high hopes up for the franchise, especially since this is all from pre-polished screenshots from a pre-alpha game.
The thing here, then, that I feel they messed up on was the wording of the title on the main RCTW Gameplay Teaser - They COULD have stated it was a pre-alpha, and even said the graphics haven't been updated but that's on the to-do in the description - but nope, we all thought the trailer was how the game will be released and played - because it is a gameplay trailer after all, titled as such. It felt more like a "world premiere" trailer - but the game is so unpolished at it's current state fan reaction bombed hard. If there were more indication I feel as if some of this flak could have been avoided. Not to mention, the fact that there never were regular screenshot updates or blogs means every kernel of info we do get, especially of how the game currently looks, will be scrutinized to high hell.

At the time of the trailer release, developers were still claiming Q1-Q2 2015 release. What you have seen in the trailer was probably very close to the game we would play.
The trailer is made of actual gameplay, developers just hide the UI for better effect. It's always like that and it's always looking the same as the final product, final produc usually actually look even worse than in these trailers. What you have seen was the actual game. And now compare it with one of the very first trailer for RCT3, which was released shortly after the announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN8xe-9ODNQ

Not to mention, the fact that there never were regular screenshot updates or blogs means every kernel of info we do get, especially of how the game currently looks, will be scrutinized to high hell.

That's another weird thing, because it's strange that they weren't willing to show the game even if they planned the release shortly. It's more like with CitiesXL franchise, they also don't show very much, because they know everyone would notice they are re-releasing the same game every year. So they just throw short teaser, screenshots and vague info shortly before the launch and let people pre-order. Very smart if you ask me :P. In this case, they didn't show much, because the game was just plain horrible.

DMB1985
05-16-2015, 06:56 AM

People have been cynical about this game long before the trailer was released, largely because of the complete lack of information regarding the game. At the moment the game very much looks like it's in development hell. Games that are on their third developer rarely ever end up being good. And we know next to nothing about the game yet it is still supposedly on track to release this year. The signs aren't good for this game so I think peoples scepticism is well justified.

Wabigbear
05-16-2015, 07:58 AM
People's reactions are NOT based just on that trailer, but rather in large part from the conflicting statements we've gotten over and over, which started long before the trailer. We've been told repeatedly that videos were being filmed, only to never see them, we've been told how outstanding the graphics and gameplay were, only to see that's not true in the trailer. We were first told the trailer was being filmed shortly before the GDC, only to be told after the trailer was widely panned that it was actually just older pre-alpha footage and the current game looked nothing like it to now being told it was footage of a late build by Area 52. Repeatedly we've been told just how 'amazing' this game is supposed to be, and have yet to see any proof. At this point many people question pretty much everything that Atari tells us, and when they tell us so little in the first place, it's not an 'overreaction'.

I think it's great that there are still people who can still find high hopes for this project. But that number is dwindling rapidly.

Deuce
05-16-2015, 10:41 AM
People's reactions are NOT based just on that trailer, but rather in large part from the conflicting statements we've gotten over and over, which started long before the trailer. We've been told repeatedly that videos were being filmed, only to never see them, we've been told how outstanding the graphics and gameplay were, only to see that's not true in the trailer. We were first told the trailer was being filmed shortly before the GDC, only to be told after the trailer was widely panned that it was actually just older pre-alpha footage and the current game looked nothing like it to now being told it was footage of a late build by Area 52. Repeatedly we've been told just how 'amazing' this game is supposed to be, and have yet to see any proof. At this point many people question pretty much everything that Atari tells us, and when they tell us so little in the first place, it's not an 'overreaction'.

I think it's great that there are still people who can still find high hopes for this project. But that number is dwindling rapidly.

Quite right.

I was generally still hopeful before I saw the trailer, but alarm bells were definitely already ringing. For me it started when I read something about the paths still being straight, I think it was spotted in one of the earliest images Atari released. The fact that at any point during development there was someone involved who thought straight paths were 'good enough' was a concern!

But I kind of semi-convinced myself it could be because they want to stick with the grid to keep younger players happy. Then they switched to Area52 and I couldn't believe it! The first thing I did was go and find out what I could about Area52 and was genuinely shocked to see they had no experience of making any games like this. No full games at all in fact.

Then other bits and pieces that were announced or uncovered kept reinforcing the fact these guys weren't about to push any boundaries and at best this was headed to be an RCT3 re-make with new graphics.

Then I finally saw the trailer, which took away even the hope of modern graphics!

To be fair, if you look at the very last scene of the trailer when the coaster cars fall off the end of the track, you can actually see much better graphics than RCT3. But still not 2015 graphics. And still straight paths. And still crappy coaster supports and kinks in the track.

The only thing that would convince me Atari were serious would be if they showed a massive attitude change and did something bold. Maybe say they had put an extra $1m into the game and will be delaying it for 12 months. That would get me smiling! But words alone are certainly not enough anymore.

Stream
05-16-2015, 01:22 PM
My biggest question is, why does Atari/Mattlab think that how they are (not) putting information out there right now is working for them? They've tried this corporate "everything is fine" deal, and everyone sees through it. They are a company of 12 people, one of those people need to say "guys... maybe we should try being honest?"

And I think that is the biggest issue people are having right now, they are being not honest, and have never been honest about any of this. How can you stand behind a game from a publisher that continues to lie to you?

That trailer wasn't pre-alpha, they didn't switch dev teams because Area 52 was always supposed to work on the core engine and then get out, they are not not showing us anything because the team is "so focused and can not be disturbed", they aren't showing us anything because they literally have nothing. They thought the trailer was good, or they would've never showed it, and that is scary in itself. Area 52 was dissolved/fired due to the backlash of the trailer and because of their limitations of doing anything beyond what the trailer showed. Simple as that.

People are emotional about this game because they have spent countless hours in the older games, not only building parks and coasters, but developing their own custom content, keeping a 10 year old game alive by sheer passion. When someone comes in and takes a huge dump on all of that, we are bound to be upset.

RCT3 now has curved paths, about 100 additional flat rides, countless new roller coasters (including new custom track pieces) and trains, probably about 1000 new scenery packs, new beautiful trees, arcades, new restaurants, custom ride events, new animatronics, new coaster stations, etc. etc. It's amazing what the community has been able to build on their own from a game that came out being fairly broken to begin with. So it truly is sad that people working on their spare time creating their own content for a 10 year old game, are doing a better job than an actual paid developer is updating the franchise.

Atari needs to shape up, and Mattlab needs to really start being honest with the community. I'm currently writing a story about this whole debacle for one of the biggest gaming blogs out there, I really wish at least the ending of the story could be a happy one.

MR.sugar
05-16-2015, 03:30 PM
If Area 52 was supposed to work on the engine... Well... Good with us after seeing what they achieved with the trailer...

RCTW1
05-16-2015, 11:29 PM
While I liked Pipeworks stuff, especially the lighting and shading, others thought it was too cartoony. However, I still wish that Pipeworks was the dev.

imiha
05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
While I liked Pipeworks stuff, especially the lighting and shading, others thought it was too cartoony. However, I still wish that Pipeworks was the dev.

It was good at least... Them and A52 is like Picasso vs my drawings from preschool.

RCTW1
05-18-2015, 10:09 PM
I know that Pipeworks stuff wasn't perfect. especially the station with all kinds of things sticking out, but I still liked their artwork.