PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #6

Mattlab
05-13-2015, 05:18 PM
This sixth production blog on RollerCoaster Tycoon World from Executive Producer - Mattlab.

View it Here (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-6/)

Dear RollerCoaster Tycoon World Fans,

I know it has been some time since my last blog post yet we wanted to be far enough along with new developments before providing updates; now is the perfect time to share. Thanks for your patience.

As many of you know, this past fall the game moved from Pipeworks to a new developer – Area 52 Games. We brought them in to focus on core engine development. In order to accomplish many of the great things we have planned for the game, we needed this work first so that development could later continue on not only the engine, but also on gameplay, content, and graphics. Following this effort, RollerCoaster Tycoon World is now in its next phase of development and on its way to release.

A new team is now in charge, and has been for quite some time. You have not yet seen any of the work delivered by this new team since the trailer was prepared using one of the last builds done by Area 52 Games. Before you ask, we are not announcing the name of this new team today. Our reason is simple: right now, they are laser-focused on a key upcoming milestone and we are keeping distractions to a minimum. Our previous developers received tons of fan emails and social media posts (which we love) as well as phone calls and in a few instances even more extreme requests! Once this milestone is delivered, the pressure will ease a little and we will introduce the team.

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, the game has undergone a significant upgrade to Unity 5, and we are very excited about it. This next-gen engine now allows us to do much more with the game, such as displaying many more objects, polygons, and simulations on screen. We have always kept room for improvement and we can say that a number of your suggestions (those that were not in earlier builds) are being implemented now. Those improvements will be announced soon.

From a schedule standpoint, we are on track for a release this year. It has been more than 10 years since the last PC RCT game and we are committed to releasing an amazing AAA game that lays a new foundation for the future of the franchise. Game development is a journey and it is not without its bumps in the road.

Until the next major production blog, see you on the forums so keep the suggestions coming; the game designers and production team love reading what you write! And of course as soon as I have fully polished next-gen in-game assets I will share them.

Sincerely,
“Mattlab”
Executive Producer
RollerCoaster Tycoon World

f794251
05-13-2015, 05:21 PM
wow!! New Blog Post!

OTR24
05-13-2015, 05:23 PM
I'm so ready to see the new build. I'm happy to hear a release date this year I just hope this game is polished and includes the things we asked for. I was ready to call bull but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt one LAST time. Show us results.

JMR
05-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Thank you for the update Mattlab!

I am really pleased to hear about the new team and I look forward to finding out more about them in the future!

Although this blog post was rather short, it keeps us all updated which is what is needed, even if it's just short, it's an update. Kudos to you for giving us this.

When do you think we'll be able to see screenshots showing developments created in the new engine?

OTR24
05-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Hey Mattlab will there be curved pathways? There was some confusion about this earlier on another thread. It would be nice if you could clear this up.

lautpiano
05-13-2015, 05:42 PM
At least you care enough about us fans to throw some crumbs every few months. Considering we're not per se entitled to anything.

I sure wish your words are true and the game really does get the care and dedication it deserves.

If you can't find the resources to maintain a proper devlog of some sorts, at least seeing some in-game assets would mean the world to us, the wait is ever so frustrating...

The Stig
05-13-2015, 05:45 PM
A new team is now in charge, and has been for quite some time. You have not yet seen any of the work delivered by this new team since the trailer was prepared using one of the last builds done by Area 52 Games. Before you ask, we are not announcing the name of this new team today. Our reason is simple: right now, they are laser-focused on a key upcoming milestone and we are keeping distractions to a minimum.

How much would your head explode if it was Frontier? And Coaster Park Tycoon was just a working title?

lautpiano
05-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Haha yes, I've had exactly the same thought xD Instead of a plethora of different theme park games all with their quirks and shortcomings, it'd be awesome if companies found a way to cooperate towards a mind-blowing, actually next-gen RCTW!! Think of the major resources, both finance and skills, they would have on their hands. Humanity sure is predestined to cooperate and many a times it's spelled progress and wealth for all. Sadly, despite all connectivity and globalization, in todays ultra-competitive world, one can only dream of such a thing happening...

Also, on a more practical note, I wonder what little Atari would be able to bring into the pool at this point, nothing much I guess?

Perky
05-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Glad to hear this project is still on track! "Game development is a journey and it is not without its bumps in the road." Sure is, that's why I love it! As a Unity developer myself, do you need an extra pair of hands? ;)

Paul_Boland
05-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Nice to see a new update. I'm eager to see some screenshots of the game, but glad to hear you're on track for a release this year. Looking forward to the next update...

imiha
05-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I'm really glad we heard from you Mattlab, it's not much but it's something. The forum was a black hole for a past month or so, I hope we will be back to discussing and chatting soon!

jerseygrrll
05-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Really happy to have some info Mattlab. Thank you.

k1ng r4t
05-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Very interesting development that I don't think anybody finds that surprising. I would like to know if this was the plan all along though...Look forward to seeing more...

darkhorizon
05-13-2015, 08:33 PM
How much would your head explode if it was Frontier? And Coaster Park Tycoon was just a working title?

Heads certainly would explode but 100% unlikely as Frontier has their own game engine they've been working on for over a decade and they wouldn't downgrade to a foreign engine like Unity. ;)

Thanks for the update, Mattlab. 2 developers gone, hopefully this new one is a keeper and actually gets stuff done (correctly).

Until the next update I suppose.

keeper262
05-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the update!

magicart87
05-13-2015, 08:57 PM
...Good!

Looks like RCTW is on the right track!
I have faith that If I'm patient enough, we'll finally reach the top of this lift hill.

For a mantra; you Atari guys sure can pick-em:

"By God, we're going to do this right!" - Atari Inc.

...I'm holding you to it.

Thanks for the update.

unclekrusty
05-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Is the new development team relatively high-profile?

k1ng r4t
05-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Might I suggest actually reading the blog post? It's got some good info...

landmers
05-13-2015, 10:11 PM
1. I'll take any update. Any at all. Even one that really doesn't say much.
2. WHY IS THE FONT SO BIG? (not in this post)
3. TLDR the post? They took a ton of heat for the terrible looking video and canned a bunch of people. Now, they are, more or less, starting the graphics engine from scratch and the release will probably be around Christmas at the earliest.

Oh well. If it's a good game, it will be worth it.

syfy2k4
05-13-2015, 10:51 PM
you're actually hiding the name of the new team to keep people from contacting them? are these guys Professionals or not?
that's just ridiculous and the attempt at justification is a joke. so now you have team number 3 in less than..what..15 months?

i have to seriously question the qualifications of the person or team who keeps recommending that Atari work with this Dev team or that Dev team to develop the game. any other company would have most likely fired the people for repeated bad decision making that exposes Atari to another potential breach of contract lawsuit.

i'm not trying to be an ass here, i'm looking at this from a managers point of view, and what i see would certainly give me reason to question whether or not i would keep someone on my payroll. needless to say, the quarterly review of the people doing this would be rather interesting

CJC23
05-13-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm really glad to see an updated post Mattlab! It at least keeps hope alive and sounds positive. I'm excited to see that it is still on track for release this year but more than that I hope that it will indeed be an AAA game. I'm staying positive and look forward to future updates. Thanks!

Carl-
05-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the update Mattlab! :)

Mathore
05-14-2015, 01:51 AM
Please, please, please, take your time with this game. Can you make sure it is a full featured game with very little bugs before launch? if the answer is no then put it back in the oven and set the temperature to low and just take your time. please get it right. I still play RCT 3 weekly and love the creativity it give me. just dont mess it up... no pressure :)

Mathore
05-14-2015, 01:53 AM
1. I'll take any update. Any at all. Even one that really doesn't say much.
2. WHY IS THE FONT SO BIG? (not in this post)
3. TLDR the post? They took a ton of heat for the terrible looking video and canned a bunch of people. Now, they are, more or less, starting the graphics engine from scratch and the release will probably be around Christmas at the earliest.

Oh well. If it's a good game, it will be worth it.

if they are starting over now and expect to release by christmas this year that is way too soon. They need to take their time and not rush it.

OTR24
05-14-2015, 03:24 AM

Nope it's EA. The game will always be online and have small map sizes. EA says it is impossible to do it any other way. :D

Wabigbear
05-14-2015, 07:54 AM
"You have not yet seen any of the work delivered by this new team since the trailer was prepared using one of the last builds done by Area 52 Games."

Wait, I thought the story was that it was video of an 'early build'? :confused: And then we were told how 'amazing' the graphics were?

One needs a cheat sheet to keep track of the different versions of 'facts' we're being told around here...

RCTFan
05-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I can not wait to see the improvements!!

Deuce
05-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Nice to hear something at least. But mattlab didn't actually tell us anything at all. Whatever the reason for area52 exit we already new they were out of it. And it's crazy to suggest getting one team to develop an engine and then passing to another team is in anyway efficient. Clearly the team that makes the actual game would ideally prefer to set the engine up themselves.

I also struggle with the concept of a developer being so busy at work that being named would be a distraction.

Sorry to be negative - but I'm going to go on the record and say that I suspect when we do learn who the new developer is, we won't be impressed. I think that is the reason they are not being announced.

apdergrosse
05-14-2015, 09:36 AM
I have to say as long as they are doing a good job I dont care who develops this game.
Look at Cities Skylines ore any other Indee game. Nobody knows the developer before they start. BUT they make great games.
If in the next blog they show a video of the game and its on the right track nobody cares anymore how the studio is called.

Ozejames
05-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Im going to go out on a limb and say Colossal Order or frontier are now developing this game....

CaseyCBeard
05-14-2015, 10:37 AM

That would be a twist I didn't see coming!

Deuce
05-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I have to say as long as they are doing a good job I dont care who develops this game.
Look at Cities Skylines ore any other Indee game. Nobody knows the developer before they start. BUT they make great games.
If in the next blog they show a video of the game and its on the right track nobody cares anymore how the studio is called.

It doesn't matter who makes the game you're right, so long as they do a good job.

I just don't luke the obvious PR spin Atari puts on everything! After so long waiting for each blog post I find it quite insulting.

Sandsh8rk
05-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info Matt.

I agree with others on this forum that some of the info doesn't line up with other blogs, but I'm glad to be getting something at this point. Take your time with the game, but please don't leave us hanging for so long next time.

Deuce
05-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Im going to go out on a limb and say Colossal Order or frontier are now developing this game....

Frontier seems unlikely but Colossal would certainly be good news! wouldnt support the theory that Area52 needed to prepare the engine though, colossal didn't need anyone else's help when they made skylines on same engine.

ETapley0687
05-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the update! Glad to see things are moving along. The suspicion going on in this thread is getting me amped. If Frontier were a part of this, which I don't think is likely, I'd probably just die several deaths in my seat.

dwwilkin
05-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Something, but not anything truly specific. We knew about Unity 5 and the rumours of moving on from Area 52 prove true. I would like to know what is more extreme than a phone call to the developer? Showing up at the studios is the next step, I would think but that doesn't sound too extreme. If I had lots of money, an all expense paid week at Disneyworld for the team, or Cedar Fair, just to get the one thing I would want (What would that be, Every Peep looking like me?) but what is really extreme?

The Stig
05-14-2015, 01:54 PM
but what is really extreme?

A bunch of tweens posting multiple threads to discuss the same topic. Extremely annoying.

dwwilkin
05-14-2015, 02:09 PM
I agree, Stig, and we've seen a lot of that, but I am not sure that is what Mattlab means. The first thing that came to my mind was a RollerTerrorist who showed up at Area 52 with an elephant threatening to let the animal stampede through its offices. Wild should have had the little mouse effect on the Elephant ride, don't you think, since we have so many other things that are funny. A young child throwing a mouse in front of the Elephants to see what would happen. Do you think a Peep caught riding on one of the elephants would have become green?

lachlan
05-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Hey new development team,

I've lost track of what's happened with the development of this game, it's been so long. Please, just take your time and get this right. However, like I think some other people have said on this forum, could you please share more of what you are doing with this game? A development blog updated every so often with screenshots and what has actually been done would give fans more confidence in this game.

Also what I would really like to see in this game are real rides. I'd really like to build RMCs, new-style Intamin gigas, Euro-Fighters etc. Also, a wider selection of sizes for loops would be cool. I always wanted to build a huge looping hyper roller coaster in RCT but it sucked because the loops were too small. I personally don't care about curved paths, changing condiments on stalls etc, but I'd like to see some realistic, modern rides. Also, waterparks with updated slides would be cool too.

Nagta
05-14-2015, 03:38 PM
2 months to announce this, woo hoo!
Can't wait to see some screenshots on the next dev blog in July.

ExtraCheese
05-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Well good to hear Area 52 is not on board anymore. My guess is Area 52 was dropped after the horrible gameplay trailer and Atari is still looking for a new developer, or have just hired a new one.
Sorry Mattlab but the reasons to not announce the new developer are not convincing me.

"You have not yet seen any of the work delivered by this new team since the trailer was prepared using one of the last builds done by Area 52 Games."

Wait, I thought the story was that it was video of an 'early build'? :confused: And then we were told how 'amazing' the graphics were?

One needs a cheat sheet to keep track of the different versions of 'facts' we're being told around here...

This, exactly... Too much lies to be able to really believe everything you say. Just being realistic here...

The Stig
05-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Alright. Here we go.
I should be in charge of blog posts ;)

Dear RollerCoaster Tycoon World Fans,

A new team is now in charge, and we are on track for a release this year.

Sincerely,
“Mattlab”
Executive Producer
RollerCoaster Tycoon World

dwwilkin
05-14-2015, 05:17 PM
You could edit it even further"

Fans

New Dev Team. Release 2015

Atari

freez99313
05-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I am really excited for the roller coaster designing set up... I like the free-build system not only because you can be more creative, but you can make roller coasters look like real ones that we have at our local amusement parks! I mean sure we got the Stormrunner in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum. I am really hyped to see how the grid/ free build system will work... Is anyone else with me on this?!:D Do you think you guys could start making developer videos? It would be intresting to see whats up... Kinda like the Sims 4! They did alot of developer videos... Maybe if you did this you could raise the hype even more for the release!!

PixelPlayer
05-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Couldn't give us a single sodding image... give me a break. Its just ridiculous.

We the "fans" giving feedback and suggestions and our input on development is now considered "distractions".

I'm just not interested in this nonsense anymore. More wall of text blogs... boring. I'm out. I'm following Frontier now.

coaster6
05-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Ok, first of all, it will almost certainly not be Frontier. they just released an Xbox game that already can hold on to. next, I don't believe what Mattlab said about devs. You never go to 3 devs in one game, it just doesn't happen. I hope this game actually releases. Good luck!

maxfreak
05-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Well good to hear Area 52 is not on board anymore. My guess is Area 52 was dropped after the horrible gameplay trailer and Atari is still looking for a new developer, or have just hired a new one.
Sorry Mattlab but the reasons to not announce the new developer are not convincing me.

This, exactly... Too much lies to be able to really believe everything you say. Just being realistic here...

QFT! You both pulled right what I wanted to say straight out of my mind. It's all still smoke and mirrors. Parkitect is being built by TWO...I repeat TWO developers. A programmer and the gentleman who makes the art for the game, I constantly engage with them on Twitter and they always reply to fan concerns. Even to the point where people didn't like the loops and Sebioff and Garret updated the models until they were perfect keeping us updated every step of the way. You guys are so full of it. Like I've said many times before, once I see it I'll believe it. Distracted by emails and phone calls...give me a break.

EDIT: Heres hoping by E3 you have something to convey us we should believe anything you say. I mean that in the most respectful way, my expectations for this are no where near as high as a lot of people. I just want a new Theme Park Sim/Sequel to one of my all time favorite franchises. This should really not be that difficult, it's just frustrating to see how out of touch you guys are being with this.

RCTW1
05-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Ok, first of all, it will almost certainly not be Frontier. they just released an Xbox game that already can hold on to. next, I don't believe what Mattlab said about devs. You never go to 3 devs in one game, it just doesn't happen. I hope this game actually releases. Good luck!

I think RCTW needed an exception.

MR.sugar
05-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Ok, first of all, the man above your post said he will follow Frontier, not that RCTW is developed by them. It is not, as they are working on probably better gane, Coaster Park Tycoon.

As for the third switch, it indeed doesn't happen, but in case of RCTW, I rly believe it. This game is just in serious jeopardy and what rly is scary is that if they are actually re-working the game from ground-up, then how can they release at least a "good game" within such a short time-frame? I'm afraud that this game is simply doomed.

Oh and Mattlab, we appreciate this dev.blog, but instead of wall of text, it would be better if you just tweeted it, as you could squeeze it into like 150 words... This blog has absolutely no value.

ExtraCheese
05-15-2015, 03:26 AM
Oh and Mattlab, we appreciate this dev.blog, but instead of wall of text, it would be better if you just tweeted it, as you could squeeze it into like 150 words... This blog has absolutely no value.

I must disagree with you here. This blog actually says a lot:
- Area 52 is not developing the game anymore (HOORAY!)
- Another developer has taken over
- The community is a distraction for this new developer, but they would like us to continue discussion here because they love to read it (ok...?)
- The aim is to release the game this year

And the rest is the usual marketing bullcrap

Wabigbear
05-15-2015, 08:03 AM
It's especially funny when in an interview with Atari's Todd Shallbetter (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-12-atari-by-god-were-going-to-do-this-right), this was a quote about the Atari mindset:

"We listen really closely. It's really all we do. The first step in any of our meetings is always the community first. Let's get the web pages up now. Let's get the forums up now. Let's start this communication. With RollerCoaster Tycoon, the boards are alive right now. We're doing production blogs. We're communicating very consistently. People are up, they're posting, the community hub is open on Steam."

Riiiiight...

Yet we end up with multiple 'community managers' who post a couple times and disappear, bi-monthly blog entries, and now we're told that the community is a 'distraction'?

Before the usual suspects jump on to remind us that "we're lucky we get this much feedback, Atari doesn't have to do anything", I'd remind them it was ATARI that opened these forums, it was ATARI that made a lot of promises, it was ATARI that introduced new 'community managers' who were going to be interacting with all of us 'constantly', it was ATARI thats given us multiple claims of 'amazing graphics and game play', then it was ATARI that showed us a horrible trailer that was first described as "early build that we've gone way past now" to the current claim that it was a late build by developer #2, it was ATARI that gave the story that developer #1 - Pipeworks parted ways so nicely only to learn of lawsuits that no one can discuss here, and it's ATARI that feeds us bland marketing pablum as if everyone's an idiot with short term memory issues.

Well I hope they do "listen really closely" because there's a lot of us who just aren't buying it any more. Quite frankly I don't believe a word that comes from Atari.

As the article stated
"...there is a clear a disconnect between the ideals Shallbetter describes and the reality of how Atari's biggest and most important bets are taking shape. One thing is certain: after such a long and fraught journey, the Atari brand may not have many more opportunities to trade on its legacy.

"Under current management now, we're far more focused on creating robust and fulsome game experiences, complete game experiences. We're not going to try to half-step this. I know the CEO consistently says over and over, 'By God, we're going to do this right.' We live and breathe that.""

Not based on what we see here...

Deuce
05-15-2015, 08:41 AM
There is actually at least one inescapable lie in the blog post.

mattlab has confirmed area52 are out and that all they have done is develop the engine. He has also said in previous post they are starting from scratch.

And in this post he confirms the game will release this year and be a 'Aaa title'.

But if they're starting from scratch, at the earliest some point last month, that gives them at most 7 months to fully build, test and release a game in time for Christmas. And that simply isn't long enough to build a premium quality game that requires several thousand detailed and animated assets.

You see my point? Either:

- being ready this year is a lie
- being a 'aaa' premium game effort is a lie
- starting from scratch was a lie

At least one of the above has to be the case.

-

The Stig
05-15-2015, 10:05 AM
After coming here regularly for the past few months, I have to say: If this game came out tomorrow, I would not buy it.
I'd wait for the reviews, then I'd wait for it to go on sale. But I would not line up at the game store for this.

BigDaddy
05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
Lets see if I got this right, third development team in less than a year, this new team cant be named since if they get some emails it may be too much for them, BUT everything is moving along fine and the game should be released this year... umm OK... wow, just wow.

VACkillers
05-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks a lot Mattlab for the update, always good to get updates even though they are few and far between.

On the actual information provided though I think everybody on the these forums knew that A52 were done, with so much information to be found about their demise and disappearance it was obvious to a lot of us they we done with this game. As for the reasons they were brought into development, all I can say is weird heh. I've never heard of a game to have such a bizzare development in my life than this one, and the industry has had some real weird development done on games, we are all still getting over the flops of Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: colonial marines which both had more than 3 development teams working on them. This then makes the information given extremely worrysome in a lot of ways.

Games that have 3 or more completely different developers working on a tittle often spells disaster (even if not at first glace) because of how different teams code their games. There has been only a few rare cases where this has worked, and in those instances (like star Citizen) the different teams are still working on the same game at the same time, and successful because of constant communication between teams so when a new piece of code is added, it doesn't break other developers code. There is no guarentee of this not happening because A52 are no longer working on this game and they supposed built the core engine heh... I hope! the new team are able to do what they desire without any complications in the simulation or sacrifices in other areas... I also hope we don't get a sim city where only after 20 hours of gameplay we start to see the cracks in the game where we find a simulation breakdown from 2 or 3 developers piece of code not working well together.

Unity 5 was mentioned well before now, I have no idea how good Unity is as handling lots of simulation so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I am glad a new team is working on this, but I am also worried for my reasons above though. I will still be shocked if this game is released this year, I still think at this moment a 2015 release date is laughable at best really.

Seems as there is now a completely new development team working on this, and the before mentioned of graphical changes to make the game more realistic, shouldn't you take down the Steam Store Page now as I really highly doubt any of that will be the final game now? at least untill you pin point the art direction you are going in? it sounds like this game will take the look in the form of Theme Park studio rather than what has been shown.... 3 developers, im sure there have been major art changes?

final point:

Stig ya mentioned about frontier working on this game? I highly doubt simply because Frontier have their own in-house engine which powers Elite: dengerous that they are using for CPT, as we know that this game is using Unity 5, think that is probably a clear enough reason that we can all be assured Frontier are NOT working on this game. Would be quite funny though :D

dwwilkin
05-15-2015, 12:16 PM
You know, just thinking about it, Frontier of course has the chops to bring their own game to market. They did previously, we got Thrillville.

Whoa, that was nowhere near as great as the work they did taking the RCT Franchise from 2 to 3. Given a choice, would you rather play RCT3, or Thrillville Off the Rails, which was the second try to do a Rollercoaster Theme Park game on their own.

But there had been a tiff with the previous ownership of Atari so naturally the two can't work together ever again...

BUTTTTTTT

Atari has a new owner? Why not make a phone call? Frontier and Atari on RCTW could bring forth a game that we all would want to play I should hazard!

AUS_Twisted
05-15-2015, 12:35 PM
You know, just thinking about it, Frontier of course has the chops to bring their own game to market. They did previously, we got Thrillville.

Whoa, that was nowhere near as great as the work they did taking the RCT Franchise from 2 to 3. Given a choice, would you rather play RCT3, or Thrillville Off the Rails, which was the second try to do a Rollercoaster Theme Park game on their own.

But there had been a tiff with the previous ownership of Atari so naturally the two can't work together ever again...

BUTTTTTTT

Atari has a new owner? Why not make a phone call? Frontier and Atari on RCTW could bring forth a game that we all would want to play I should hazard!

Thrillville was obviously targeted at a younger audience for consoles, I'm amazed that some people don't get that.

Deuce
05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Thrillville was obviously targeted at a younger audience for consoles, I'm amazed that some people don't get that.

Exactly. And Frontier have also done 'similar' already in the form of scream ride. It's pretty clear that they are positioning cpt as an alternative to proper rct games.

Also, handily, in scream ride they have already developed and proven much of what is required for a proper coaster park sim.

claytonbrazil
05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Boa notícia, desejo boa sorte a equipe de RCTW, tenho certeza que o projeto será incrível....por favor não se esqueçam que nós fãs queremos poder construir em 360º, passeios em curvas, e mais realismo nas atrações....quanto aos gráficos, eu não tenho muito conhecimento nessa área, mas tem um jogo que eu gosto muito, o Cities XL, os gráficos desse jogo são muito legais, podia ser daquele tipo....enfim, ficamos no aguardo das próximas novidades...

Good news , I wish good luck to RCTW team, I'm sure the project will be incredible, and please, do not forget that we fans want to be able to build in 360º, paths in curves , and more realism in attractions. About the graphics , I do not have much knowledge in this area , but has a game that I really like, Cities XL, the graphics of this game are very nice , it could be that kind .... Finally , we are awaiting to the next news......sorry for my bad english...

ExtraCheese
05-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Frontier hasn't announced any info yet, just the title of the game and what kind of game it will be. No info about engine, graphics, features etc.

So in theory it is possible, but I don't think Frontier is getting involved in this... not with the history of development in this game...

RCTLOVER
05-15-2015, 03:36 PM
It's been a while, but I'm happy to see that your blog was calm-feeling. I'm excited for the game. I was excited to play it over the summer until that trailer was released...then I didn't care as long as you fixed the game. I actually just got done playing RCT3 a few minutes ago.
Thx for the update!

The Stig
05-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Nothing like a two month wait for a lousy devblog to put everyone in a bad mood all over again. :p

darkhorizon
05-15-2015, 05:27 PM
The whole "Frontier is involved" idea just doesn't hold any water, I don't get why it's still being brought up.

Mattlab keeps boasting about using Unity 5 (I recieved a $120 painting set for my birthday btw, doesn't make me a good painter!), in the meantime Frontier has been working and perfecting upon their proprietary Cobra engine since 1988 (https://www.frontier.co.uk/our_technology/ (since 1988)) and they would not downgrade to an engine like Unity.

Would it be funny? Erm....maybe.

Is it gonna happen? No.

Sir Isaac
05-15-2015, 07:07 PM
This is such a mess. But I still hope for the best.

DMB1985
05-16-2015, 04:58 AM
I really can't get excited about RCTW anymore. This blog just contains the same styled PR bull that every other blog has contained. The reasons for Area 52's departure are clearly rubbish. I can understand that Atari don't want to trash their reputation (not that they had one) but it's a bit insulting to our intelligence to claim that they got a nobody developer in just to develop the core engine. And I'm struggling to buy the claim that the reason the developer hasn't been named yet is because they don't want the attention. IMO it's far more likely that they are another cheap option with little to no back catalogue to their name.

Given the development hell this game has gone through, if RCTW comes out this year and is any good I will be truly shocked. I hope I'm wrong but everything is pointing towards this being a disaster.

MR.sugar
05-16-2015, 05:50 AM
I really can't get excited about RCTW anymore. This blog just contains the same styled PR bull that every other blog has contained. The reasons for Area 52's departure are clearly rubbish. I can understand that Atari don't want to trash their reputation (not that they had one) but it's a bit insulting to our intelligence to claim that they got a nobody developer in just to develop the core engine. And I'm struggling to buy the claim that the reason the developer hasn't been named yet is because they don't want the attention. IMO it's far more likely that they are another cheap option with little to no back catalogue to their name.

Given the development hell this game has gone through, if RCTW comes out this year and is any good I will be truly shocked. I hope I'm wrong but everything is pointing towards this being a disaster.

Exactly. I'm also still wondering about PipeWorks and what happened. In case those screenshot from their era are not photoshoped, maybe the reason could be that they did rly good (I actually read some articles where some journalist said it looks quite well and plays good for an early build), but were probably slow (as they wanted to build a good game), but Atari had no founds to handle it with limited budget, so they rather try cheap developers who will try to deliver it by the end of this year.

That being said, I also think Atari counts with Early access for this game. Sadly for them, after all this jeopardy, I won't buy the game until it's completely finished product. Won't buy it in EA if I don't believe the game won't be good enough. Hell, they could leave the game unfinished after they charge us EA. No way.

Atari, just put this game out of it's misery. I love RCT, but I don't rly want to see this game released. It's going to be THAT bad that it's probably better to let it die.

truthhen
05-16-2015, 11:46 AM
I would love to be able to control all rides with a panel for each one. Peeps levels of intensity differ. self control of even smaller rides would be amazing like no limits did on their fairground set.

Deuce
05-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Exactly. I'm also still wondering about PipeWorks and what happened. In case those screenshot from their era are not photoshoped, maybe the reason could be that they did rly good (I actually read some articles where some journalist said it looks quite well and plays good for an early build), but were probably slow (as they wanted to build a good game), but Atari had no founds to handle it with limited budget, so they rather try cheap developers who will try to deliver it by the end of this year.

That being said, I also think Atari counts with Early access for this game. Sadly for them, after all this jeopardy, I won't buy the game until it's completely finished product. Won't buy it in EA if I don't believe the game won't be good enough. Hell, they could leave the game unfinished after they charge us EA. No way.

Atari, just put this game out of it's misery. I love RCT, but I don't rly want to see this game released. It's going to be THAT bad that it's probably better to let it die.

I don't think those pipeworks screens were photoshopped actually. The distance blur focus are standard parts of the unity engine. You can virtually replicate the same result in cities:skylines if you zoom right in.

Whatever happened with pipeworks, at that very early stage they seemed to be doing a good job.

Atari seem to be miss-managing everything though. The direction of the game, the marketing, the community and the developers.

dwwilkin
05-16-2015, 12:47 PM
My sense after so many posts in the forum and dev blogs (sorry Mattlab, but since we have no hard facts, we have to interpret this) is that it is not being handled well. From reading the interviews of Atari, I get the sense that they are in a hurry to get positive revenue. The RCT Franchise should be a sure moneymaker, and they would not be the first to dump a terrible product on the market to get a quick buck. Not as easy to do now with social media as it was before in the era when we last saw an RCT release.

Even then, when we play tested before release and documented some bugs, the expansions were released with them. And I believe they still exist in the game, uncorrected.

But the product then, overall was a hit.

Now, having been through this process for months, I think that Profit has been so key a consideration, that has motivated the shuffle of Developers. Unfortunately a great product does require money to be invested into it.

iChase
05-16-2015, 02:34 PM
From a schedule standpoint, we are on track for a release this year.

Hahahahahaha http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/rotfl.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Seriously, though. They didn't tell us anything. Actually, scratch that. They said we as a community are a pain in their collective ass. A fanbase shouldn't be a problem for long if they keep up their PR disaster, though, so they needn't worry.

I can't say I'm an expert on game development, but I don't know of many games that have changed developers' hands three times and succeeded. This whole thing seems to have been doomed from the start. It seems we were in good hands with Pipeworks and from there it's just gone down hill.

intoxination
05-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Hahahahahaha http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/rotfl.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Seriously, though. They didn't tell us anything. Actually, scratch that. They said we as a community are a pain in their collective ass. A fanbase shouldn't be a problem for long if they keep up their PR disaster, though, so they needn't worry.

I can't say I'm an expert on game development, but I don't know of many games that have changed developers' hands three times and succeeded. This whole thing seems to have been doomed from the start. It seems we were in good hands with Pipeworks and from there it's just gone down hill.

I've been involved with numerous projects over the years that have lots of different companies involved. Some leave, some stay. Unity makes it really nice for this with the asset system. You can have one company working on the Roller Coaster editor, then ship it off to the main developer to assemble in the final package. Meanwhile another company (or group of people) can be working on the peeps, another one on the scenario stuff, etc. That way you got numerous people working on different parts of the program at the same time, with the main developer/lead organizing everything and making sure it all works in the final product.

It's so much better than 20 years ago, where a large project like the games today was practically impossible to manage and get everything "glued" together right.

iChase
05-17-2015, 09:31 AM
I've been involved with numerous projects over the years that have lots of different companies involved. Some leave, some stay. Unity makes it really nice for this with the asset system. You can have one company working on the Roller Coaster editor, then ship it off to the main developer to assemble in the final package. Meanwhile another company (or group of people) can be working on the peeps, another one on the scenario stuff, etc. That way you got numerous people working on different parts of the program at the same time, with the main developer/lead organizing everything and making sure it all works in the final product.

It's so much better than 20 years ago, where a large project like the games today was practically impossible to manage and get everything "glued" together right.
I'm sure that's the case and I'm sure it happens a lot. But this seems less like a choice and more like a catastrophe they're trying to smooth over. I'd like to truly believe it's a choice, but somehow their tone indicates otherwise. It also seems strange they stop mentioning their previous developers after they transition to a new one. I think they're allergic to using the word Pipeworks and they seem to be trying to sweep Area 52 under the rug (they pulled the logo from this site, for example). Something (read: nearly everything) isn't going well for Atari and they're doing a poor job at covering it up with their extremely thin veil.

Dmitry JDS
05-17-2015, 10:50 AM
I think that RCTW will be better in park management than other games.
But old RCT grid system is not proper decision for park designing, it means that RCTW should be good in economic and management but with old grid system it will be hard to design realistic park.
So if you want good park management you should play RCT series.
For realistic park design i recommend to try Theme park studio with powerfull tool for design, but it has no any management and economic tools.

The Stig
05-17-2015, 11:36 AM
A new team is now in charge. We are not announcing the name of this new team today because we are keeping distractions to a minimum. Our previous developers received tons of fan emails and social media posts as well as phone calls and in a few instances even more extreme requests!

"That's right, fans. It's YOUR FAULT that we haven't gotten any work done!"

-Mattlab

ddrplaya4638
05-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Nice blog. However, I think it's time to showcase what is going on. These endless walls of text show no proof. Words of it being an AAA game and wonderful graphics have been said before and we can all agree the trailer was sub par to the RCT name. Show us what you are working on. Quite a few other games that are in development now are showcasing week to week what they are working on. Concept art, screenshots, videos, this game can still be an amazing experience but you need to win us back. Your fan base needs something to hold onto.

dwwilkin
05-17-2015, 01:15 PM
There is some point to what many have said. There has been no visual representation of this 3rd iteration of RCTW. It could now be vaporware, an infamous attribute made famous by Microsoft.

Even when you had Piperworks as the Dev, concept art was released on a semi regular basis last year. Why not do that. Concept art is something that can change. Surely it would not be hard to release a few little dribs and drabs. Perhaps a mascot if there have been design changes to what we have seen before, though still in the concept stage.

What would really get the forums buzzing though would be concept art of a new ride we have never had in the franchise, or, a restaurant, or a hotel, wetting the appetite of all those who hunger for those pieces...

Deuce
05-17-2015, 02:43 PM
What would really get the forums buzzing though would be concept art of a new ride we have never had in the franchise, or, a restaurant, or a hotel, wetting the appetite of all those who hunger for those pieces...

Agreed but have you seen any sign of anything remotely new or imaginative in any of what we have been shown right from the very start and up until the trailer?

The only slightly 'new' idea mentioned is the monorail that connects other parks (and if this game ever makes the light of day I swear to god it had better be possible to play without the monorail on a full size piece of land). Even the monorail idea is basically just a rip-off of the incredibly unpopular sim city mechanic to connect parks.

Mattlab himself has described the coaster building tools as amazing, but then gone on to concede that many assets will be forcibly aligned to the grid, including the stations... So already less advanced than other games made years ago.

So I would doubt the likelihood of them having anything new and exciting to spark interest.

For me watching this games progress is now like watching a natural disaster story unfold in the news. There is no reason to expect any sort of happy ending, but you keep watching - morbid interest only. Really sad though, it must be quite uncomfortable for those leading this project to know they can't deliver even a fraction of the progress that RCT3 did. And looking to a new version of the Unity engine for a few graphical tweaks isn't progress.

AUS_Twisted
05-17-2015, 03:23 PM
"That's right, fans. It's YOUR FAULT that we haven't gotten any work done!"

-Mattlab

Area 52 were so busy on social media once they announced they were developing RCTW, lol not even one reply. Never saw anything on twitter either.

https://www.facebook.com/Area52Games

Dj Stardust
05-17-2015, 03:46 PM
These Blogs get more desperate with every update.

I can only imagine that the game is in a very poor state if they're not willing to post ANY screenshots or concepts. Very worried that this is going to be the final chapter in the RCT story, we can only hope Coaster Park Tycoon will raise the bar.

magicart87
05-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Short of adding a screenshot, there isn't much Atari could do to win me over at this point. I'm posting more or less out of boredom as this forum has become quite stale.

DMB1985
05-17-2015, 05:59 PM
It's quite sad that in the 4 months since the first "production" blog, we've had just six more blogs all containing next to no information regarding the development of the game. To me that's a pretty damning statement on how the game is coming along.

Regasaurus14
05-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Pls in the next blog have some pics pls.
That the mean thing because I ain't buying it if I see improvement. Gl

kensulu
05-18-2015, 12:37 PM
I am truly excited to see this game get made. I just don't understand these people that seem to not want the game produced even though they visit here quite frequently. Be happy they are producing the game we have waited so long for no matter what time frame they deliver it so long as it is a great game to play. We all know now they may or may not release it this year but as long as they do I am happy. Sure the communication and time frame was messed up royally along with all the other issues but at the end we get a game we all want to play all that will be forgotten about. Keep going Atari and please inform us when ready.

Deuce
05-18-2015, 12:55 PM
I am truly excited to see this game get made. I just don't understand these people that seem to not want the game produced even though they visit here quite frequently. Be happy they are producing the game we have waited so long for no matter what time frame they deliver it so long as it is a great game to play. We all know now they may or may not release it this year but as long as they do I am happy. Sure the communication and time frame was messed up royally along with all the other issues but at the end we get a game we all want to play all that will be forgotten about. Keep going EA and please inform us when ready.

You don't know what you're talking about - for a start this game isn't made by EA!!

And you can't go around telling people they have been waiting for this game. They may had been waiting 10 year for 'a' game, but not this game, not made by people that have acted in the way Atari have.

The game I was waiting for was a next instalment that would move the game forwards like RCT3 did. If you read the forums, you will see that clearly isn't the game being made.

dwwilkin
05-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Kensulu, this is Atari, not EA

The Stig
05-18-2015, 12:58 PM
All I'm saying is, from a fan's standpoint, we've got the Indie developed Theme Parkitect and Frontier's Coaster Park Tycoon set for being released around the same time as Rollercoaster Tycoon World.

If you guys have some content that would really wow us and convince us that RCTW will be the superior title, now would be the time to share.

apdergrosse
05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Look at dev 7 if that is really from the engine and the whole game looks like it it will be hard for frontier to beat it.

Deuce
05-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Look at dev 7 if that is really from the engine and the whole game looks like it it will be hard for frontier to beat it.

It looks good but then it should - but really TPS managed the same and I could re-produce a model like that very quickly. Although as mattlab says, they're trying to be accurate and high quality - so I would have used a larger texture on the rails which would have allowed me to have a mark on the rails where the wheels make contact, top side and bottom. Same as TPS.

But is making a coaster track and chassis model prettier really 'moving forwards'?

I think announcing a new 'support painter' for the placement and type of coaster supports would be progress. Or ditching the grid! These things are headline grabbers.

"Atari employ person who can use 3DS" - that's not ground breaking, it's a basic requirement for making any 3D game and has been for over a decade now.

I know I sound like I'm moaning whatever happens. But there has to be more than meaningless words and pretty pictures. The game itself needs to make progress in the same way RCT3 did. Graphics isn't progress, that's just evolution. Creating 3D models has never been difficult it's just a simple fact that the designer is always limited by game engine that has to manage their creations in real time. Progress is to look at the old game, listen to the community, and make super smart choices about what really makes the game better than the last.

RCTW1
05-18-2015, 10:01 PM
It looks good but then it should - but really TPS managed the same and I could re-produce a model like that very quickly. Although as mattlab says, they're trying to be accurate and high quality - so I would have used a larger texture on the rails which would have allowed me to have a mark on the rails where the wheels make contact, top side and bottom. Same as TPS.

But is making a coaster track and chassis model prettier really 'moving forwards'?

I think announcing a new 'support painter' for the placement and type of coaster supports would be progress. Or ditching the grid! These things are headline grabbers.

"Atari employ person who can use 3DS" - that's not ground breaking, it's a basic requirement for making any 3D game and has been for over a decade now.

I know I sound like I'm moaning whatever happens. But there has to be more than meaningless words and pretty pictures. The game itself needs to make progress in the same way RCT3 did. Graphics isn't progress, that's just evolution. Creating 3D models has never been difficult it's just a simple fact that the designer is always limited by game engine that has to manage their creations in real time. Progress is to look at the old game, listen to the community, and make super smart choices about what really makes the game better than the last.

I agree. We need screenshot pics too. Also items as a whole.

Gandalf the Pink
06-13-2015, 05:09 PM
So they aren't far along to even show us screenshots yet they say it's ready to be released this year? Idk about this one.