PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #5

Pages : [1] 2

Mattlab
03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #5 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-5/)

Dear RollerCoaster Tycoon World Fans,

We have heard you, and we concur; the trailer did not show the final game and the game everyone should expect from the RCT franchise. In this blog, we’d like to clarify our intention for showing the trailer and reassure you, our most passionate fans, that making RCTW great is our top priority. We would also like to talk more about the progress being made in the game and what we’re doing next.

TRAILER!
Let’s start with a bit of an explanation: The game is currently in what we are calling a pre-alpha stage – features and graphics are still being coded. Since the switchover of our development team this past Fall, we have focused on core functionality and “under-the-hood” engine work. This is why there has not been significant visual progress on the title. Engine work is critical to the overall stability of a game, and it requires significant labor and time to get right. We knew in the Fall we still had a lot of work to do to achieve the core engine we wanted – one that could support a game like RCTW. Now, however, we are able to finally continue working on the higher level functionality and visuals.

Our intention in releasing our pre-alpha gameplay as a trailer was to show that there is progress being made. RollerCoaster Tycoon has meant so much to so many people over the years, and it’s entirely your prerogative to feel protective of the franchise, just as it’s ours to assure you that it’s in good hands. Our hope in releasing the trailer in its current state was to offer some reassurance that gameplay and features were coming along.

UPGRADED ENGINE! BETTER GRAPHICS!
Regarding the current state of game graphics, we have been exploring prototypes for a while and are happy to announce we will be upgrading to the Unity 5 Engine. We hope to be able to share the results of the upgrade by this summer. We hope to take full advantage of the many new environmental, lighting, and shadow improvements as well as many other features in our original Unity 4.6-based engine to create a game that looks great. Our early results are extremely promising. We know that today these words must ring hollow, but trust that we are doing everything we can to make the game look excellent.

MORE REALISM!
In response to requests and comments from our fans, we can confirm that our teams will be adjusting the art in the game to make it not only higher definition (taking advantage of our engine upgrade) but more believable/realistic overall, while still keeping the charm of RCT. We want the rides to feel like they can be found in real life. Even though some of the rides may never actually exist, we want them to look like they could, and are constructed with real materials. Along with this, we are also taking a pass on our Americana theme to make sure those rides are closer to those you may find today when visiting your favorite amusement park. We will let you know as we make progress along this development path. We also know that once our robust user-generated content systems launch you will be able to make the scenery, rides, etc. that you want and we plan to fully support that.

TIMING!
We will not release the game until we know that it is truly ready. If the game needs to be “put back into the oven,” then we will do it. We have waited for more than 10 years for the next great edition of RCT, and we plan to take the franchise to new heights with RCTW. We will take the time required to achieve that goal. We will communicate on the expected release of RCTW later this year. The team needs the time to craft the experience that so many of you have been waiting so patiently for.

WHAT’S NEXT?
As always, what matters to us is your feedback and we want to continue to hear from you during the course of development. We have high expectations and standards for delivering RCTW as well as a desire to keep this open dialogue with our community going as development progresses. There will be lots more new content released with many visual upgrades, and as the game progresses we will share them. As we have said previously, there will be Alphas, Betas, hands-on previews at gaming events, developer chats, blogs, and more. We look forward to your feedback to make sure we are headed in the right direction. This game is too important to too many people for us not to do it right.

Please let us know what you think in our comments section! Also, if you haven’t already, please join the community on Steam and add RCTW to your Wishlist.

Thank you!

RCT Team

Steelbound
03-19-2015, 02:43 PM
omg omg, unity 5 niceeeeeee.
i know you guys wouldnt fail on us!
i knew you guys love this game and will make it a succes!

IM SURE OF IT!

some feedback,
1. please react more on the forums, pll starting to hate and spoil the forums with garbage.
2. would be nice to see like a twitter feed from everyone working on the title, like a little daily blog, the people of dungeon defenders 2 are doing this too, and people love it to know if its still active, because here, people think the dev team is dead.

GGD123
03-19-2015, 02:49 PM
I don't know what Unity 5 is but it sounds good. EDIT: I just googled it and I'm liking what I see and this game has the potential to look gorgeous.

I'm beginning to believe in the game again now, with my hopes being raised in regards to the Realism. I hope the realism is extended to rollercoaster supports. It's all well and good creating realistic rides and buildings etc but if you have a rollercoaster with stick supports then the whole thing falls flat on its arse.

Looking forward to seeing the screenshots.

Wabigbear
While I may still have questions I'll say I'm really pleased with the tone and information in this blog.

Thank you.

Wayne
1. Thank you
2. I waited so long for a update
3. This is good info, like I said in a few other posts I was hoping you would not beat around the bush. And it looks as though you are not. (Thank You)
4. Looks like you have listened, but only time will tell. So far we are on the right track

Thanks so much for bring the roller-coaster tycoon game back into the spotlight. This can be a great thing! And it's up to you as the developer to make it as great as it possibly can be. And if you listen to (Us) the fans we can help make it a great success.

Love,
KnoxVegas aka Wayne

Steelbound
03-19-2015, 02:50 PM
unity 5 is the next-gen engine.
here is the unity 5 DEMO Unity 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIALnHnKjs)

GGD123
03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
unity 5 is the next-gen engine.
here is the unity 5 DEMO Unity 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIALnHnKjs)

Thank you. I googled it after I read the blog. It looks fantastic and a great platform for RCTW.

Nickster
03-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Can you tell us what you guys are currently working on? I would love to see screenshots of developments, early models being built, stuff like that.

f794251
03-19-2015, 03:09 PM
So the work on GDC is Unity 5 :rolleyes::cool:

darkhorizon
03-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Thank you, Mattlab.

This blog is very, very reassuring...definitely makes me feel a little better. I'm glad that you guys are listening to our feedback (negative or not).

My optimism for this game has just gone up, honestly. Unity 5 looks wonderful - I play around with UE4 mostly but when Unity announced that they were releasing the engine for free for personal use I went ahead and downloaded it and it's looks very nice and powerful. I believe Cities: Skylines uses Unity for their engine base, and that game looks and plays beautifully, so it's definitely a smart tactic. Allows you guys to focus more on gameplay fundamentals rather than writing a whole engine from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel? ;)

I hope this is the start of some fantastic communication - the community is very "needy" when it comes to interaction, so any form of communication is highly appreciated.

DMB1985
03-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Excellent. I think that this is exactly what most of us on here wanted to hear. We all want this game to be great and I think most of us would happily wait a lot longer if it means that we get the RCT we want. This has restored a bit of faith I have in the game.

jackk
03-19-2015, 03:19 PM
This was great. It really wasn't that hard to reassure people with truth, was it? Although it does sound like you guys have started again so having to wait a lot longer is a little annoying, but now I know it will be truly worth it now.

I really hope you guys can release steady updates over the development :)

Helena
03-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Restored my faith a little bit! Back to oven, the extended time, taking time. THANKS for listening to us.

Tricky
03-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Please focus on real existing rides first, when you got that, it's good to go further... please do some research on real rides first before creating the fantasy stuff... This devblog did get me interested again, but I do hope you can show us more then just words. Show us some real rides or confirm banked curves on coasters. Then I can believe it's going the right way.

Knobs
BAM ! This is the best come back ever. Great, great, great blog. Best one ever.
HAHA ! EXCITED ! THANK YOU !

We all knew this couldn't be it, and from now on you have my blessing. Thank you Mattlab, you've reassured thousands of angry and dissaponted fans.
If it really is the case that realism and gameplay will be in focus, well, then i have full trust in the development again.
I must say i kinda lost it there for a while. Me and a LOT of other players.

The choice of unity 5 is just awesome. It's a great thing to hear that it will be running on the next gen, top notch graphic engine.
Please take your time to do this right.
We all knew mid 2015 wouldn't be possible to catch and deliver the game everyone wants.
Great to see you guys are kinda starting over.

Yes, we can wait another year.
Now i can go on with my life, confident enough to not check the forums every day 5 times for an update.
You have my vote again.

My wishlist :

- Custom scenery building blocks. ( Even in 3D format or own texture based ( animated ) models )
Build the craziest and biggest buildings.
- REALISM in coasters and supports ( No glitchy Rct 3 choppy curves, but smooth heartline based ( like NOLIMITS COASTER ) rides.
- Waterpool additions.
- Yes, curvy sexy paths ;)
- Decent AI, peeps go everywhere in the park. ( RCT 3 had empty zones in the parks )
- Management functions. When we're not sandboxing, we want to be the tycoon ;)
- VR Support ( oculus ! )

- TALK TO US, don't leave us in the dark.

THANK YOU for making us feel happy again.
All the best.

GO ATARI AND AREA 52. MAKE IT HAPPEN. ( but take the time you need ;) )

EuroMaster2008
Ok after I say "So you have lied to all of us with <<EARLY 2015>>" and the Game goes for 2016 IF there will be a release.
Sure a better engine is very good, but that decision had to be made, hmmm 2013? or 2014, and not now, or the statement of release should had been changed ! But no, the only thing Atari did, was change the Studio. Very poor strategy!

Sorry but after a decade, I had wish something more....

Caine
03-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Thank you for the Update Mattlab, it's good to hear that you listen to the community and change the plans (Look of the game/more Realism)
even if it takes much more time to do it. It's okay that we have to wait a bit longer for the game, most of us waited 10 years for this new game so what are 1 or 2 more years when we get a new Rollercoaster Tycoon that earned this title. I hope we can follow the devolpment and you give us more looks "Behind the Scenes".

CreamyBeef
03-19-2015, 03:34 PM
B&M TRACKS. Inlude B&M style tracks for realism. Please. Could've used a screenshot and to be honest this wouldn't take 3 weeks to write.

mb1.0.2
03-19-2015, 03:37 PM
It's nice to hear something that could potentially resemble the truth. Sounds like we won't be getting a game in '15 at all, though. That's fine, so long as you're actually doing what you say you are. Please...yes....focus on realism. You can strike a balance between the charm of the art direction of the franchise without getting so ridiculously unrealistic; it doesn't have to be one or the other. I thought RCT3 struck a nice balance...a few fantasy rides, but lots of options to create realistic parks. I don't get why that's so hard, or why it takes a whole community screaming it at you to figure it out.

Either way, thanks for the info. I'd like to echo that whoever is in charge communicates more with the community. You might want to talk to Area 52 about assigning someone a little more dedicated to the community to interact with us. Hard to get excited about a game when the people making it never talk to you.

Caine
03-19-2015, 03:39 PM
and to be honest this wouldn't take 3 weeks to write.

I think they had a lot of discussions in the team, what the plans are to do it better and this takes a lot of time.

Tricky
03-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Just something I wondered... Does anyone in the team like themeparks, rollercoasters and thrillrides? You must have someone that actually knows things from real life themeparks if you want to build a good simulation of it.

Knobs
03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
I think they had a lot of discussions in the team, what the plans are to do it better and this takes a lot of time.

That's totally what the waiting was about.
To deliver the game mid 2015 with a pissed of community and make a little bit profit on the kids who will buy this.

OR

To redo the whole thing, taking obviously another year ( or 2 ) and needing more development costs, but to deliver the game in a condition that it's suppose to be and selling it way more and make more profit in the end.

Great they have chosen the right one ;)

BigDaddy
03-19-2015, 03:57 PM
if this game is in pre alpha, no way it makes it out in 2015. If they do it right, with alpha, friends and family alpha, closed beta, open beta and polishing time, I would say mid 2016 at the earliest, but then again, most devs don't do things right so who knows.

Pierre
03-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Enfin !!!!! Bon courage pour la suite ! Vite vite une version pour tester ! Donnez nous des news plus souvent, au moins justd pour dire que toug vas bien ! :)

Stream
03-19-2015, 04:12 PM
So, apparently the trailer did show what the game looks like at this point? You claim you released the trailer to reassure everyone that there is progress being made, yet it looked like a step back even from RCT3. If it was pre-alpha footage, why wasn't that clarified from the get go, within the trailer itself? Or was it decided afterwards when all the negative comments started popping up that what was shown was pre-alpha footage?

You're addressing some big points that worried a lot of people, however I just feel like you've been deceiving us this whole time, and it's quite clear to see through. Even now we still haven't seen a screen shot that says "oh, this is what the game looks like today" - so clearly the trailer showed current footage of the game, because if it didn't this blog post would've been accompanied by a current screen shot, or preferably a new trailer.

The biggest thing you guys can do moving forward is to be open, communicate, and show what you're working on. Take a note from Parkitect, and all these other developers that continuously show what they're doing. This community can seriously help you take the right direction with this game, but that requires you to communicate. You can't take every suggestion everyone is giving, that would be ridiculous, but as creative people, you have to be able to look at someone's suggestion and go "that sounds really cool, let's try it.".

Get your act together, or you won't have any fans left.

MR.sugar
03-19-2015, 04:15 PM
It sounds more like they just re-started the game. And I believe that it won't rly release anytime soon.

Well, if that's true, then I wish you best of luck and I hope you will hear us out. I will stay tuned for some pictures and videos.

What's rly sad is that a lot of our feedback was posted years ago on the Atari forum, so I don't rly get why the developers didn't start developing the game this way since the very early days.. You started addressing it a bit too late and wasted a lot of time, money and efforts because of that.

killahboo
03-19-2015, 04:22 PM
The blog post sounds promising.

I rather Atari/Area52 delay the game and get it right rather than get things very wrong and kill the franchise.

I still have doubts that Area 52 are capable of building the game we all really want but hopefully this is the start of heading in the right direction.

Will we still be getting dev blog updates or will there be limited news until you guys get things up to scratch? It would be nice to see the evolution of the game, especially if it will be changing so much.

Knobs
03-19-2015, 04:22 PM
So, apparently the trailer did show what the game looks like at this point? You claim you released the trailer to reassure everyone that there is progress being made, yet it looked like a step back even from RCT3. If it was pre-alpha footage, why wasn't that clarified from the get go, within the trailer itself? Or was it decided afterwards when all the negative comments started popping up that what was shown was pre-alpha footage?

You're addressing some big points that worried a lot of people, however I just feel like you've been deceiving us this whole time, and it's quite clear to see through. Even now we still haven't seen a screen shot that says "oh, this is what the game looks like today" - so clearly the trailer showed current footage of the game, because if it didn't this blog post would've been accompanied by a current screen shot, or preferably a new trailer.

The biggest thing you guys can do moving forward is to be open, communicate, and show what you're working on. Take a note from Parkitect, and all these other developers that continuously show what they're doing. This community can seriously help you take the right direction with this game, but that requires you to communicate. You can't take every suggestion everyone is giving, that would be ridiculous, but as creative people, you have to be able to look at someone's suggestion and go "that sounds really cool, let's try it.".

Get your act together, or you won't have any fans left.

Because this is the current state of the game.
And due the reactions and disappointments from the fans on the boards, they realised they've kinda failed.
So that's why they are rerouting things. That's a great plottwist btw. They actually listened to us and knew they have a long way to go.
If we wouldn't have reacted that bad, they would dare to say it's demo testing time lol.
By redoing things, both teams win.
We as a gamer who are getting a way better game. And they, as a game publisher will have more profit.

It stays marketing in the end, but we will benefit from it.

crionics
03-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Sounds good. Unity is a nice engine, Parkitect uses Unity, too - let's see who does it better ;). But it could be difficult to implement user created content, because it's a bit tricky to import Assets during runtime (at least with Unity 4).

And guys: it's no engine change - they just updated from Unity 4 to Unity 5 like all Unity developers without a pro licence since it came out two weeks ago (the betas where out to pro-users since last year) ;).

Kombiice
03-19-2015, 04:29 PM
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #5 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-5/)

Unity 5 is okay :) i worked much time with it

Paul_Boland
03-19-2015, 04:30 PM
As a Unity 3D 5 developer, I'm very pleased to hear RCTW is moving into that engine. It's very powerful and easy to work with and gives fantastic results! This blog post was great to read, much appreciated, Mattlab.

level42
03-19-2015, 04:32 PM
"RollerCoaster Tycoon has meant so much to so many people over the years, and it’s entirely your prerogative to feel protective of the franchise, just as it’s ours to assure you that it’s in good hands."

This ^

All I want to say is ...

gonnagocoaster
03-19-2015, 04:34 PM
A blog post written by a real person about real issues - sounds like you guys are going to do an awesome job on the game. Good luck! Can't wait to see it but more than happy to wait too!

banjoboyslim
03-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I would love to get on this Alpha testing team. I am a developer. Is this a possibility?

ExtraCheese
03-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm glad this blog post is written by an human and not some marketing robot. The tone really pleases me, and I think a lot of fans with me. The way you adressed our concerns and thoughts is really good. My faith is completely restored and I really feel we can actually get a worthy successor in the RCT franchise. I think you guys now realize that releasing the gameplay trailer wasn't the best move you could do, but announcing the usage of the unity 5 engine is a really good move! Unity 5 makes a lot of things possible. I really hope you guys can implement our ideas and suggestions into the game, most importantly curved paths / scenery (get rid of the narrow minded blocks), tunnels and realistic coaster building.
And last but not least: please stay in touch ;)

ExtraCheese
03-19-2015, 04:44 PM
To add to my previous comment: One question remains... where are the community managers?

intoxination
03-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Thrilled to see you going with Unity 5. I've developed in Unity for years and 5 is really amazing. Does that mean you'll be targeting more platforms as well?

CoasterNazi666
03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Decent news but hopefully visual updates soon cause yet again this was just a piece of text...

Wayne
03-19-2015, 05:01 PM
This is great news for us the community. I think we need to hold off on asking them about screenshots and let the get to work trying to make this game great for us first, then show us some progress as they get around to making things. And as things progress more and more then include more screenshots of the in-game items/roller-coasters and more.

They need time to build and then bring us content yes keeping us in the loop would be great. Maybe start streaming on twitch some live devs talking about the game and showing us what you do and how you are planning to do it. Just like all the hype with H1Z1 I loved watching them walk around the studio and show us the devs and what they are working on and so froth. So much I bought the game right away because of that. More interaction with your fans will be great in this day and age.

RandomMrBrick
03-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Hey, does this mean that the CGI in the trailers could resemble the game itself?

HipsterJesus
03-19-2015, 05:06 PM
This is just beyond ridiculous, we had to wait almost two weeks after a horrible trailer was released to read THIS? This game is lost.

Simonk
03-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Wait, you're using unity? That's great, that engine is awesome!

Knobs
03-19-2015, 05:10 PM
This is just beyond ridiculous, we had to wait almost two weeks after a horrible trailer was released to read THIS? This game is lost.

What more could you expect ?

They are doing almost a complete update on the existing game. Isn't that what we all wanted ?
The game was lost. Not anymore.

EuroMaster2008
03-19-2015, 05:11 PM
No we wanted this Update to be made in 2014, so that the game is out by now!

Bootuh
03-19-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't believe a word in this blog post, and I'm pretty surprised that other people don't feel the same way. When the Steam page went live, the original release date was May 2015 (you announced previously that the release would be in early 2015). Then, you released a gameplay trailer showcasing footage from the game. Obviously, the community backlashed and it took you guys two weeks to devise a plan on how to go forward and not LOSE money from the production of this game.

It is crystal clear that the footage shown in the most recent trailer was from the finished product that you intended to release in May 2015. The whole "pre-alpha footage" is a bunch of lies to trick the community into thinking that you are currently working on a more polished game, when in reality, you had every intention on releasing the product that was shown in the video. So, what happens now? I'm assuming that you guys are taking a "start from scratch" approach and completely re-working the game from the ground up with a new engine, after realizing that the community won't accept an unfinished pile of trash that looks like it should have been released in 2003.

I can almost guarantee that this game will not release until Q3 to Q4 of 2016. You may have fooled a lot of people, but not me.

EuroMaster2008
03-19-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't believe a word in this blog post, and I'm pretty surprised that other people don't feel the same way. When the Steam page went live, the original release date was May 2015 (you announced previously that the release would be in early 2015). Then, you released a gameplay trailer showcasing footage from the game. Obviously, the community backlashed and it took you guys two weeks to devise a plan on how to go forward and not LOSE money from the production of this game.

It is crystal clear that the footage shown in the most recent trailer was from the finished product that you intended to release in May 2015. The whole "pre-alpha footage" is a bunch of lies to trick the community into thinking that you are currently working on a more polished game, when in reality, you had every intention on releasing the product that was shown in the video. So, what happens now? I'm assuming that you guys are taking a "start from scratch" approach and completely re-working the game from the ground up with a new engine, after realizing that the community won't accept an unfinished pile of trash that looks like it should have been released in 2003.

I can almost guarantee that this game will not release until Q3 to Q4 of 2016. You may have fooled a lot of people, but not me.

And me! I don´t think that the blog has anything to do with the truth!

grayhouser
03-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Does that mean Americana is scraped and will no longer have the same look as it did in photos from before the dev switch.

HipsterJesus
03-19-2015, 05:17 PM
What more could you expect ?

They are doing almost a complete update on the existing game. Isn't that what we all wanted ?
The game was lost. Not anymore.

This blog should have been created within 24 hours after the horrible trailer was published and not two weeks after to give us some cheap information about unity 5. And also the explanation for the trailer is such a horrible lie that I can't even... "Our intention in releasing our pre-alpha gameplay as a trailer was to show that there is progress being made.". I mean what progress? Everything in that trailer was horrible and a regression not a progression.

So them updating a game doesn't mean anything, might just be another lie till the next trailer.

Bionic
03-19-2015, 05:18 PM
I agree with Bootuh here. Also, what makes everybody think they can pull it off after the piece of crap they called "gameplay" trailer? Why would they start listening to you now after ignoring years of community input? Talk is cheap, I'll believe them when I see something worthy of the name Rollercoaster Tycoon.

3DJRD
03-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Thank freaking god. Maybe there is hope left yet for this game.I really do hope they are being genuine and not just in damage control mode. I had big hopes for RCTW after RCT3 was such a disappointment in multiple ways. But the new trailer was absolutely terrible. Not just the graphics, which should not be a top priority anyway, but everything shown in it. It simply looks very uninspired. I really wanted to see realistic, generic themes, rides, and attractions, without anything being exclusive to any one theme. An interesting art-style such as in those (likely photoshopped) screenshots. We should have also seen more about the business aspect of the game (micromanagement systems etc). And been shown an advanced roller coaster builder that let you build on a more complex level without looking stupid and unrealistic. Parkitech is honestly doing a much better job at that and everything else. Sorry, but this developer may not have what it takes! :(

EuroMaster2008
03-19-2015, 05:22 PM
The problem is that "Our intention in releasing our pre-alpha gameplay as a trailer was to show that there is progress being made." is a sentence wich could not be there because of the fact that the game had to been released months ago! Progress, means tha there is no final! How the hell do you want to release something, if there is still progress to make?

Bootuh
03-19-2015, 05:25 PM
The "pre-alpha" footage was from the finished product that they intended to release in early 2015. Area 52 Games probably had to request a release-date extension from Atari, which took two weeks to finalize (hence, why the blog post was delayed).

They wouldn't put a pre-alpha gameplay video on the Steam sales page, trust me.

Xope_Poquar
03-19-2015, 05:25 PM
I applaud Atari for taking the blame, still that trailer should not have been released in any way.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say the release of the trailer is what stirred up the negative feedback and triggered the move to the new engine and art style. Can you imagine if the trailer wasn't released until the point of no return was already passed?

Perhaps it was some disgruntled devs that pushed for the release of the trailer with graphics purposely turned down just to spark the public backlash so they could get the proper time they needed to put out a good product. Maybe it's a bit far fetched but it's definitely something I'd do if I was working on a product that I knew would kill my studio's reputation given the publisher's timeline.

arnaudober
03-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Thus Intel i5 will stay the minimum requirement?...
I know first release will be only PC, but is a Mac version in project? By Aspyr maybe, like RCT3? Because my Mac is i5, but my PC is i3... (And I've not enough storage on Mac to install Windows)

Stream
03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Because this is the current state of the game.
And due the reactions and disappointments from the fans on the boards, they realised they've kinda failed.
So that's why they are rerouting things. That's a great plottwist btw. They actually listened to us and knew they have a long way to go.
If we wouldn't have reacted that bad, they would dare to say it's demo testing time lol.
By redoing things, both teams win.
We as a gamer who are getting a way better game. And they, as a game publisher will have more profit.

It stays marketing in the end, but we will benefit from it.

I sure hope this is true, because they pretty much need to start over completely. Besides, the point of my post was more to bring up the fact that they've lied. If the trailer showed the current state of the game, then Mattlab outright lied to us when addressing the trailer in the forums. There's no denying that.

coaster6
03-19-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm impressed. Not blown away, but impressed.

You guys did a good job. You finally listened to the fans. We've been screaming realistic rides. We've been asking about the trailer. I'm impressed.

Dark Rider
03-19-2015, 05:37 PM
This is awesome, Unity 5, realism, classic amusement park theme! This is the stuff most of us want to hear. Faith has been restored. I'm guessing an Nvidia graphics card will be the best for unity 5, for all the textures and ambient occlusion.

twinnuke
03-19-2015, 05:42 PM
I use Unity 5, it's great. But you still need to put in the effort with the right artists and direction to make it look nice.

CoasterNazi666
03-19-2015, 05:46 PM

Agreed I was pretty upset when i realised I'd finished the post as there was nothing new really and not one screenshot or evidence their making progress

MattZ
03-19-2015, 05:47 PM
It sounds more like they just re-started the game. And I believe that it won't rly release anytime soon.

Well, if that's true, then I wish you best of luck and I hope you will hear us out. I will stay tuned for some pictures and videos.

What's rly sad is that a lot of our feedback was posted years ago on the Atari forum, so I don't rly get why the developers didn't start developing the game this way since the very early days.. You started addressing it a bit too late and wasted a lot of time, money and efforts because of that.

Yet they are still working with Area 51 which worries me. Area 51 is a tiny studio with zero experience and one canceled browser game. The atrocious trailer we saw was THEIR work.

It was only decided it was bad after the backlash, and now they are apparently re-doing the game

MattZ
03-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Exactly. I can't believe most people here are falling for this

BRUXXUS
03-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you for this "real life" blog post. This is exactly the way we like getting our information, not through a marketing filter, but like someone is talking to us in person, as friends. Fans are far smarter than most publishers think and I, personally, love hearing about the technical development as it happens.

I agree with everyone that Unity 5 is a fantastic move. A few of the Early Access games I play have or are going to switch to Unity 5, and they're getting HUGE visual and performance boosts without even making any changes. Another bonus; super easy VR integration!

Please keep this up. There's no reason we can't truly be a part of the development and experience the progression of this game. It won't only keep us happy but it'll also act as education to aspiring game developers. I've learned so much keeping up with other games as they evolve and get better, and it's something I really enjoy.

RCTW1
03-19-2015, 05:53 PM
So little overall communication is still downing me. Sadly, I still believe that it will remain the same.

The Stig
03-19-2015, 05:55 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/d7b6697f7078730408fcd200d30db99d/tumblr_inline_n7znw9f99e1rk4p6f.gif

Best Devblog yet!
The info! The details! The facts! Consider this fan re-assured.
Very well done, I wish I could buy the team a round of drinks.

Knobs
03-19-2015, 06:06 PM
This blog should have been created within 24 hours after the horrible trailer was published and not two weeks after to give us some cheap information about unity 5. And also the explanation for the trailer is such a horrible lie that I can't even... "Our intention in releasing our pre-alpha gameplay as a trailer was to show that there is progress being made.". I mean what progress? Everything in that trailer was horrible and a regression not a progression.

So them updating a game doesn't mean anything, might just be another lie till the next trailer.

Like i mentioned before, i think they were indeed ready to release it in that state.
Untill the bombs dropped on the internet.
Then they realised it was unacceptable and that's why there was like a 2 week radiosilence.
What to do ? Release it and go bad, or tell everyone ( maybe a lie ) that it was intended for pre alpha footage . ( Saves the day )
Everyone kinda knows it's a lie, but in the end they agreed that the current game state is not acceptable for release and they will reconstruct it in modern terms. I think that's good news. Longer wait, but way, way better game.

( I feel your frustration, but at this point i'm so glad they did mention it and addressed the main issues. )

ExtraCheese
03-19-2015, 06:08 PM
I can not believe the negativity of some of you guys here...
We have a production post which explains what went wrong and what they are doing now, without any marketing nonsense.
I do share your piece of skepticism, but to think of it as all lies is going too far.

Yes they very well could have thrown everything overboard after all the negative responses from the trailer, but at least they are doing something about it and want to create a good game. If that means the game will not be released in May, I don't care! I want a good game, even if that means I have to wait a little longer.

Xenocorpse
03-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Exactly. I can't believe most people here are falling for this

You use the term "falling" as if this blog post was a joke, which is what I presume you believe. The blog post, however, contains information that no one knew and that was part of the development of the game. A new engine basically is a start-from-scratch call and, while I do agree that the release date information shouldn't have been determined at all, I for one am happy they decided to upgrade their engine to produce a higher quality product and even come out and tell us exactly why the trailer was complete rubbish. The "progress" Mattlab mentions is simply development on the new engine. You may not believe a word this guy is saying, but a lot of people in this forum actually found this as a breath of fresh air, including me, and there has hardly been any negativity. I could actually peruse through the forum pages and read actual GOOD feedback from the community without having my mood destroyed by the absolute criticism that the game actually deserved.

The blog is a production blog. This post updates everyone on what has happened and is currently happening with production. We all assume that they should apologize for mistakes in a PRODUCTION blog instead of show actual production. We feel like we are all promised every detail of every single day when, in reality, they are showing PROGRESS. This isn't APOLOGY blog #5 after all.

The Stig
03-19-2015, 06:09 PM

Unfortunately, there will always be the fans that would rather stay unsatisfied.
I can still remember when the Silent Hill community had their many, many fallouts.

Knobs
03-19-2015, 06:14 PM
You use the term "falling" as if this blog post was a joke, which is what I presume you believe. The blog post, however, contains information that no one knew and that was part of the development of the game. A new engine basically is a start-from-scratch call and, while I do agree that the release date information shouldn't have been determined at all, I for one am happy they decided to upgrade their engine to produce a higher quality product and even come out and tell us exactly why the trailer was complete rubbish. The "progress" Mattlab mentions is simply development on the new engine. You may not believe a word this guy is saying, but a lot of people in this forum actually found this as a breath of fresh air, including me, and there has hardly been any negativity. I could actually peruse through the forum pages and read actual GOOD feedback from the community without having my mood destroyed by the absolute criticism that the game actually deserved.

The blog is a production blog. This post updates everyone on what has happened and is currently happening with production. We all assume that they should apologize for mistakes in a PRODUCTION blog instead of show actual production. We feel like we are all promised every detail of every single day when, in reality, they are showing PROGRESS. This isn't APOLOGY blog #5 after all.

You have my vote.

DMB1985
03-19-2015, 06:21 PM

Sometimes I wonder if some people just have to moan about everything. I'm not going to pretend that this has eased my doubts about RCTW but it's at least given me a little bit of hope. Furthermore, we've been asking for better communication and a bit of transparency for weeks and we've finally gotten it. This blog might not be giving us any information about the actual game, but it is at least letting us know what stage of development the game is in and that's a good thing.

VACkillers
03-19-2015, 06:30 PM
maybe I am the only one who is going to play devils advocate here.

First of all, very glad to read this dev blog finally and has so many positives in it. Secondly, this told us extremely little about the "current state" of the game. WAS the trailer the current state of the game? not not? THAT IS THE ONLY thing I wish to know at this point... The blog gives off the impression that it is, and if that is the case, wtf are those screenshots from on the steam page? if those are from before the development switch, then that is wrong and need to be taken down because it definitely doesn't look like that. NOT YET at least.

josho505
03-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Please take the time to make a human view of the park! It would be a small detail that would just make the game amazing.Don't just make it a different camera angle, try and make the scale correct, maybe have it so we have our own money, we can wait in lines (Also speed it up). It would just be a great addition to the game and I would be more than happy to then purchase it. (Anyone else agree that they should add this?)

The Stig
03-19-2015, 06:34 PM
maybe I am the only one who is going to play devils advocate here.

First of all, very glad to read this dev blog finally and has so many positives in it. Secondly, this told us extremely little about the "current state" of the game. WAS the trailer the current state of the game? not not? THAT IS THE ONLY thing I wish to know at this point...

Judging by Mattlab's description of the game's current state as "pre-alpha" today, and adding the fact that the trailer was made from "pre-alpha" game footage, I think it's safe to say that the game's current state is very similar to the trailer.

Menno
03-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Great blog. This is the information I look for in a blog. Please when you release a new trailer put it inside a blog (or even better comment in the video itself) and guide us through the experience. Let us know what to expect. If you know the graphics are bad in the video say so and talk about what we do need to look at (underlying engine stuff).

justbrae1
03-19-2015, 06:41 PM
The blog gives off the impression that it is, and if that is the case, wtf are those screenshots from on the steam page? if those are from before the development switch, then that is wrong and need to be taken down because it definitely doesn't look like that. NOT YET at least.
I think this is the question that everyone wanted answered. Where did those screenshots come from, or did pipeworks take something with them?

justbrae1
03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Great blog. This is the information I look for in a blog. Please when you release a new trailer put it inside a blog (or even better comment in the video itself) and guide us through the experience. Let us know what to expect. If you know the graphics are bad in the video say so and talk about what we do need to look at (underlying engine stuff).
I think you read the post completely wrong. They didn't care about the graphics, and that is why they released a public trailer of the game - thinking it would sell itself.

inspectorgadget
03-19-2015, 06:52 PM

this, so many people hearing what they want to hear and not being realistic in all of this. not writing this game off just yet but chances are Frontier's new tycoon game will be the true successor to RCT3 and not RCT World.

VACkillers
03-19-2015, 06:58 PM
I agree, I think for this game to be released this year is a pipedream! and I do seriously think ATARI need to be straight up honest with the community here and say we are looking at a spring/summer 2016 release instead of lying/leading people on that the game will be released mid 2015 when its only in a pre alpha state and we're already approaching april, while at the same time switching to a new engine as well... yes its just an update but anyone who has even remotely had some experience with Unreal Engine, know that those updates are absolutely MASSIVE to the inner workings on the entire engine, how things are tied together, linked up, how textures work, plus the new particle effects, shadows, and how global illumination works will be utterly different from the unity engine they were working with before..... They need to be honest here...

RCTFan
03-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Excellent! I'm very happy!!!

TheDriXx97
03-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah! Unity 5 for RCTW is great! For those who doesn't know what unity 5 is, is basicaly an upgraded engine, which will allow them to make better graphics!

k1ng r4t
03-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Oh RCT community, you guys are just my favorite. I also appreciate your passion for sure, it definitely fuels this game.

Enjoyed this post, clarified quite a bit. I do think it mainly dealt with the backlash of the trailer, and thus was largely about what the game will look like, which is unfortunate...even though I know it's been the main topic and blog demand for about a month now, so I'm glad they did. But honestly I'd rather hear more features and goals, implemented or not, then briefly mention the trailer. But I am glad they cleared things up a bit.

The main thing I wanted to know about was curved paths and pools, so that's unfortunate. But I'll take what I can get and am psyched to see this new engine. What upsets me the most is we might not see a good screen shot or video of it till the summer :(

Also I'd be willing to bet it'll be out by the end of this year, especially if they think they can show off the engine by summertime. They aren't starting completely from scratch, the blog said they've been working "under the hood." Meaning just because it doesn't look HD atm doesn't mean they've been sitting around scratching their...heads. This is very common with devs, use low graphics as a "placeholder" while they develop the rest. And the graphics are much easier to update than the actual game mechanics, so assuming they have made progress with the mechanics and mainly need to work on the graphic engine, it's very possible it'll be here for the holiday season. If not I'd say no later than Q1 2016, which is also unfortunate, but ok with me if it means the best game possible.

But still, it's my RCT and I want it now!

justbrae1
03-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah! Unity 5 for RCTW is great! For those who doesn't know what unity 5 is, is basicaly an upgraded engine, which will allow them to make better graphics!

My guess is the engine they were using would have probably been acceptable, but they didn't devote any time to visuals.

syfy2k4
03-19-2015, 07:19 PM
nice recovery. at no point did i feel like you were intentionally lying, speaking marketing jibber jabber or hiding anything.

NOW, continue this type of honesty, this type of communication for the duration of the game development and you may be able to break thru the stigma of the previous iterations of Atari and show the gaming world that THIS Atari, with this crew, is one worth watching to see exciting new things, instead of all the blunders of old.

you did yourselves a favor with this blog and seemingly got the community excited again. especially with the Unity 5 engine.

don't blow it. as i said before, we forgive....but we don't forget.

koekeritis
03-19-2015, 07:27 PM
My guess is the engine they were using would have probably been acceptable, but they didn't devote any time to visuals.

They were using unity 4 before this. Let me tell you this unity 4 is NOT and I repeat NOT a triple A engine.

MattZ
03-19-2015, 07:30 PM

This update is damage control. I was talking about people falling for the excuse that the trailer was put out as a "pre-alpha trailer to show off the progress that was being made".

They were talking up the trailer in a few updates before it was put out. No mention was ever made beforehand that it was "pre-alpha footage"

I'm not very optimistic considering the current team, and the idea that they thought the gameplay in the trailer was acceptable for near-release condition.

I'll wait and see how the game looks like if they rework it. Hopefully they will rebuild it from the ground up. I just have my doubts that Area 51 is able to properly do it but I guess we'll have to wait until summer to see what they put out.

justbrae1
03-19-2015, 07:33 PM
They were using unity 4 before this. Let me tell you this unity 4 is NOT and I repeat NOT a triple A engine.

Triple A engine or not, bringing this game to unity 5 doesn't just make the graphics 50 times better. Unity 4 is only a couple of years old and still can produce quality visuals. We aren't going to see visuals from RCTW like the tech demo that has been linked to.

Brad210
03-19-2015, 07:38 PM
This update is damage control. I was talking about people falling for the excuse that the trailer was put out as a "pre-alpha trailer to show off the progress that was being made".

They were talking up the trailer in a few updates before it was put out. No mention was ever made beforehand that it was "pre-alpha footage"

I'm not very optimistic considering the current team, and the idea that they thought the gameplay in the trailer was acceptable for near-release condition.

I'll wait and see how the game looks like if they rework it. Hopefully they will rebuild it from the ground up. I just have my doubts that Area 51 is able to properly do it but I guess we'll have to wait until summer to see what they put out.

This game has gone from early 2015, to mid 2015, (to horrendous trailer), to alpha, to actually pre-alpha. #facepalm

I believe they were going for the cash grab and the trailer was indeed something like what they planned to release. The previous blogs were indeed full blown lies.

There's some honesty in the latest post, but the game is a very long way off, which is ok if the final result is what we expect.

MattZ
03-19-2015, 07:48 PM
This game has gone from early 2015, to mid 2015, (to horrendous trailer), to alpha, to actually pre-alpha. #facepalm

I believe they were going for the cash grab and the trailer was indeed something like what they planned to release. The previous blogs were indeed full blown lies.

There's some honesty in the latest post, but the game is a very long way off, which is ok if the final result is what we expect.

They were indeed going for the cash grab. That's very evident. They didn't expect the massive backlash from the trailer, and that's why it took 2 weeks to put out this update after the trailer. They have been in full damage control mode.

Aaronroberts
03-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Please focus on real existing rides first, when you got that, it's good to go further... please do some research on real rides first before creating the fantasy stuff... This devblog did get me interested again, but I do hope you can show us more then just words. Show us some real rides or confirm banked curves on coasters. Then I can believe it's going the right way.

I agree, the main game should be realistic rides, then fantasy type stuff should be added in an expansion pack, I love realism, and people are always wanting to make parks they visit in real life, but I'd also like funny unrealistic rides (think Spykids 2 opening that uses Six Flags with weird rides) or that centrifuge brain project~

Something I recently came across on a forum was old concept art for characters that people were saying they liked the design of before it was changed in the final game.
I personally think that Atari should release screenshots of rides that might not perhaps make it into the game, and then have polls so people can vote if they like the ride designs (either realistic or crazy) then release as download content / expansion packs with other great stuff. You can't really go wrong with things like that.

I do feel, if I'm being honest, the trailer shows off some nice parts, there are some parts that are lit up (maybe with a bloom) and look pretty good, then the rest looks like it was filmed on a PC that couldn't handle the game, I don't think people can sit there and say its gone backwards with the graphics when the FB page has shown us some screenshots on nice looking buildings with alot of polygons, and well...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/aaronroberts/peep_zpsokkpvgqa.png (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/aaronroberts/media/peep_zpsokkpvgqa.png.html)

Peeps certainly look ALOT better, but yea, for now, stick to realistic rides for the main game, weird stuff in an expansion, also get rid of that whole Monorail System (is this optional, do we HAVE to have it in our park?)
also the construction scaffolding, I hope thats gone too.

Indiglow
03-19-2015, 08:25 PM
As someone who was mostly negative before, I'm gonna look on the bright side and say I like the way this game is headed now if the blog is to be trusted. I'm perfectly ok with the trailer showing the game as it is right now as you work on under the hood type of things.

But there is 1 question that absolutely needs to be answered....

If the trailer was the game as it is now, how did you release screenshots of phenomenal quality months ago?

That's the lie we can't get around that we need answered. I feel like you released a photo-shopped image or something...

JMR
03-19-2015, 08:47 PM
I logged in and saw that this blog post and was almost shaking with curiosity before reading.

I was delighted to not only hear the honesty about the trailer, but also to actually hear about the engine change and discover future plans. I think this is the result of listening to the community and spending more time to on writing the post.

At first I had doubts about whether this blog post contained truth, but then I thought about what Mattlab said before, that he was taking time to ensure that the blog post included facts.

When reading the post, it had a different atmosphere to the others. Whilst reading I could actually compare it properly with criticism from myself and other members of the community. Refreshing to say the least!

Thank you for taking your time writing this post, Mattlab and thank you, the RCTW team for listening to the community.

To be honest, I think after the explosion of criticism from us fans and community members, they noticed that they needed more time to make this game what we want.

This was the post I was hoping for.

If the trailer was the game as it is now, how did you release screenshots of phenomenal quality months ago?

That's the lie we can't get around that we need answered. I feel like you released a photo-shopped image or something...

I think a possible answer could be that, real-time footage and screenshots differ when it comes to rendering. For example, rendering a single in-game screenshot would not require nearly as much as real-time footage would. The trailer I think was recorded from in-game, possibly using the camera tools within the system. Meaning that they had to lower the settings, turn off shadows, Etc, as they were not capable of rendering highest qualities yet.

Sam223
03-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Good to see you final replied to fans concerns.
However, a few questions.
Why did it take so long to write this reply?
Why was it not specified that the trailer was 'pre-alpha footage' at the time of release?
Why are screenshots (steam page) of a much higher quality than the trailer?
Why were all previous blog posts stating that the game was amazing to play in its current state,when in reality.... (the trailer)?

Moving on...

UPGRADED ENGINE! BETTER GRAPHICS!
Yea great,as expected from any expensive release. Don't forget about game-play though. As im sure you already know,you cannot polish a turd.

My suggestion is to take actual feedback on the games base tools first (dont just tell us its amazing,and then not follow it up with any actual screenshots/explanation/video), then focus on making it look nice. The longevity of the game will revolve around the flexibility and design quality of the games tools,not just how nice it looks on release.

MORE REALISM!
Will you be outsourcing or interviewing anyone with expertise in this field, or conducting in depth research into real rides and theme parks. Its one thing visiting a theme park once a year for inspiration, but you need someone with expertise if you want to create realistic simulation. e.g Example screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/UbEgsCj.jpg) of semi realistic shoulder restraints,showing failure to understand how the restraints actually work (you'd fall out if you put your arms inside like that)

WHAT’S NEXT?
As always, what matters to us is your feedback and we want to continue to hear from you during the course of development. We have high expectations and standards for delivering RCTW as well as a desire to keep this open dialogue with our community going as development progresses
You say this almost every post. That you want community feedback and that your are reading suggestions. However, you are just encouraging a free for all with no developer interaction currently. If you want to use the community as a focus group and a free tool for ideas and suggestions. Then please give the community some guidelines on what you want suggestions on. E.g you will get a better cake if you ask us if we prefer option A,B or C and critique on those options,then build on those. Rather than basically saying, "what type of cake do each of you want? we'll be out back having a smoke"

No one has any idea of what is currently planned or feasible for this game as everything so far has been so vague. Are you focusing on a theme park management simulation,are you trying to make a roller coaster/ride simulator,theme park sim from guest perspective,casual customisation game (e.g minecraft) etc etc. Obviously it cant be everything, otherwise it'll take you another decade to finish it. Or end up as a jack of all trades,yet not deliver quality on any specific aspect.

luizsear
03-19-2015, 09:00 PM
I really want the curved patches, and that monorail will be optional? I hope so because I don't like it.

And I don't like the idea of my park being fragmented into four parts. I think it should be optional too.

magicart87
03-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Will Area52 be booted for yet another developer? I wonder.

Also...check this out: https://www.google.com/#q=rollercoaster+tycoon+world+developer
Looks like Google didn't get the memo. Or perhaps Google just favors "quality."

In any case, starting from scratch is going to be a nightmare for any dev. But, hopefully well worth it! Area52 if you could provide some screenshots, open community dialog and progress transparency...I hear Google just might back you.

justbrae1
03-19-2015, 09:35 PM
By the sounds of it, the atari ceo may have had plans for the game we saw in the trailer, and took no input from fans as if this is what was wanted. The article below talks about how the plan from the beginning was going to be a social/online game for roller coaster tycoon, which might explain why the visuals are garbage and that work was put into sharing parks or being able to visit a friends park..

http://www.nowgamer.com/the-truth-about-rollercoaster-tycoon-4-for-pc/

CaseyCBeard
03-19-2015, 10:03 PM
What a wonderful update! Thank you so much for explaining. I am excited for everything to come and appreciate you wanting to take the time to get this game ready. I'll wait as long as it takes.

Like others have mentioned, I too would like to see more interactivity in the forums.

kensulu
03-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Thank You Atari for restoring the franchise and take as long as you want to make the game look great and fun to play. I can't wait to see what happens in the future for this game. Excellent and please communicate and show progress when you are able to.

Ram8113
03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Guys remember that this was already being developed on Unity 4.6. Yes 5 is MUCH better but upgrading engines doesn't magically fix all the terrible models and such. I know they say they're working on improving all of it but I simply do not trust Atari as far as I can throw them. I know Atari isn't developing the game but still, Atari is a terrible company that refuses adapt to modern times. If there's one old franchise that needs early access to allow the fans to really help with development this is it. But instead we're gonna get a completely closed development cycle and a game we don't want.

Sam223
03-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Guys remember that this was already being developed on Unity 4.6. Yes 5 is MUCH better but upgrading engines doesn't magically fix all the terrible models and such. I know they say they're working on improving all of it but I simply do not trust Atari as far as I can throw them. I know Atari isn't developing the game but still, Atari is a terrible company that refuses adapt to modern times. If there's one old franchise that needs early access to allow the fans to really help with development this is it. But instead we're gonna get a completely closed development cycle and a game we don't want.
We don't need early access either. They are no more obliged to listen to early access feedback, than they are on the forums. This game shouldn't need it either really,since atari are publishing the game not developing it. Therefore footing the initial investment bill. A problem that early access helps solve, for independent developers.

Would you really want to pay to test a game,for a developer who has no track record and is basically mute. Whilst you give feedback to a middleman who has already paid for the development, and is enjoying a return on their investment before the game is even finished? With no obligation to finish the game and no refunds.

Underdog104
03-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

How is the community still giving this company the benefit of the doubt?

How many times have we been lied to now? But, alas, this time they MUST be telling the truth, right? You might call this being negative, but I call it not being gullible. Call me old fashioned, but I make my opinions based on facts, not dribble fed to us by notoriously-truth-stretching PR personalities.

I just can't seem to believe this team that has also have given us these quotes:

Team RollerCoaster Tycoon World is busy working on the game as well as filming some amazing footage that we hope to feature soon. It will be straight from the game so you can see the awesome product we have been working on and get as excited as we are about it.

Yes, not to worry the graphics are always being worked on and improved. We've gone a really long way from RCT3 to RCTW. If you play the two games you really notice the difference in polygons, graphics and animations that a screenshot really can't quite show always.

As promised, today we’ll be talking about the second of our four main foundations for the RCT franchise: Building. But before I get into the many great things you can build, how you can place them, and tease other amazing innovations we have been able to implement in RCTW, I wanted to take a second to talk to our fantastic supporters from our forums. It has been an absolute pleasure interacting with you, and I, along with the entire RCTW team, hope to make more time to chat. Not only will we make sure to continue posting on the forums, but together with our community team we plan to have live stream sessions where fans will be able to interact with the team in real time! We’ll have more on that later.

Additionally, I do want to say that our design team is in the forums every day. They spend a considerable amount of time reading your suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately, though, as they are super busy making the game, they often can’t respond to each suggestion, but please be assured that they are there reading your thoughts, and tweaking the game based on what they see. We are making the game the community wants, and we are committed to delivering the REAL RollerCoaster Tycoon experience.

This [the box art design] was partially created using actual scenery and ride models from RollerCoaster Tycoon World and shows off some of the amazing things you will get to build in the game

my job is to lead the work on the game with the help of our awesome crew from Atari, the AAA development team at Area 52 Games

This is an actual in-game screenshot. All screenshots released are from the game itself and using the game itself to take them

However, I am happy to share that we’re going to reveal our second trailer very soon! We wanted to make sure we continued the story that began in the first trailer, while also featuring gameplay footage in a way that only RCT can. We can’t wait to show you!

ddrplaya4638
03-19-2015, 11:03 PM
I am very pleased with this blog however I have alot of questions like the rest of us do. Mattlab, where are yoy to answer our questions tonight?

RCTW1
03-19-2015, 11:05 PM

How many times have we been lied to now? But, alas, this time they MUST be telling the truth, right? You might call this being negative, but I call it not being gullible. Call me old fashioned, but I make my opinions based on facts, not dribble fed to us by notoriously-truth-stretching PR personalities.

I just can't seem to believe this team that has also have given us these quotes:
Amen, I'm still very uncertain about Area 52's work to get excited about their next move.

buenokid
03-19-2015, 11:06 PM

Exactly. I'll believe things when I see them.

Doesn't everyone see that with continued disappointment comes more placation that is unfounded?

AUS_Twisted
03-20-2015, 12:17 AM
lol, regardless of engine so much BS is going on. Ever heard of anisotropic filtering before when recording a video?

k1ng r4t
03-20-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt right now because of the developer switch. That's so huge, and I can see it being incredibly difficult to come back from (especially if you're broke). In fact the game probably should've been cancelled then. So now that we're entering Q2 they've had time to gather their notes and sharpen their pencils and communication should improve from here.

I dunno about chats and regular live streams though, maybe one to announce a beta or release date or something...

RCTW1
03-20-2015, 12:29 AM
They should have stayed with Pipeworks, instead of going with Area 52.

auxiliary
03-20-2015, 12:35 AM

Thank you for sharing my opinion so succinctly. I don't trust Atari, and (no offense intended to Area 52) I don't trust the developers. The former has done nothing of note since the 1980s, while the latter, unfortunately, has zero work to gauge their abilities on. That said, I don't blame Area 52 for what has happened here.

I still can't get over the travesty that was that trailer, and how apparently we are (or were) three months from release, but the game is in a pre-alpha state. How does that happen? There's simply no way you can move from pre-alpha to final release in a three-month window, especially not for what is supposed to be a AAA-quality game. Somebody is lying.

I don't blame Atari's mouthpiece, either, because he probably has very little control over what he can say, but what I don't stand for is being lied to. We've seen this before from arrogant and/or naive publishers and developers. Think how much Maxis lied about SC2013. Either these parties think the customers are stupid or simply don't care one way or the other. It doesn't matter, though, because in neither case will they be getting my financial support, and ultimately that's all any business really cares about.

RCTW1
03-20-2015, 01:11 AM
Right now, both Atari and EA have left a slow to no healing cut in me.

RCTAJ
03-20-2015, 01:29 AM
What's so ridiculous about it? They heard all the whining and not only did they listen, they're upgrading to a whole new graphics engine. They also said the game will not release before it's ready. Don't really know what else people can ask for. If some fans still aren't pleased, then there will simply be no pleasing them.

Ozejames
03-20-2015, 02:10 AM
I've been stalking the site since the release of the first "teaser trailer" (not the recent terrible trailer) and decided i would join the forum and finally respond to forum comments. I like the majority here am pretty disappointed with many things so far of the development of this game. Communication has been absolutely deplorable. A thing I noticed that concerns me too, is that they upgraded to unity 5 yes, good choice. But I find it funny since unity 5 was released for free just at the start of march. To me this just sounds like they are trying to be cheap and cut costs. I really don't think they are putting the Budget nor the effort into the game they should be. So at this point (until I see some actual decent game play, running well) I don't have trust in the developers of this game...

Mechanic
03-20-2015, 03:08 AM
The game still hasn't been fixed. Check where your developers are and consider hiring another.

But seriously, more transparency and better communication going forward is desperately needed to rebuild trust amongst the fan base.

Bionic
03-20-2015, 03:27 AM

My thoughts exactly. I'm a bit surprised that so many are swayed by yet another post full of promises and lies (pre alpha trailer) without the slightest bit of evidence to back it up. Why not show off the core functionality that has been focussed on all this time?
And btw: it's not because you switch to a modern gaming engine your game can't be crap.
My stance stays the same: I'll believe it when I see it. And I have the impression it will be a loooong time before we see anything. As always I'll be gladly proven wrong.

crick
03-20-2015, 04:11 AM
[...] and are happy to announce we will be upgrading to the Unity 5 Engine. [...]

[...] more believable/realistic overall, while still keeping the charm of RCT. We want the rides to feel like they can be found in real life. Even though some of the rides may never actually exist, we want them to look like they could [...]

This as base for a good graphic and design plus a good gameplay will result in a real AAA-game. So I am very happy, that RCTW is going in the right direction.

But I've two negative also:

1) It's not really easy to believe the blog #5 at all, as the many posts here are showing. No publisher would upload the last trailer to YouTube and even Steam, when there is a totally other goal of game.

2) You promised a huge blog #5 with many infos what you wanted to proof before posting it. But (after 2 weeks) I just see the new engine and the nice plan to create no totally unrealistic attractions. No huge infos, no screenshots or other media. Even a little video about the actual gameplay (with old engine) would be able to show: Yes the trailer was older with older graphics.

So in the end I am happy, that the game is not canceled and there is a hope for a brand new RCT. In the opposite I expected much more content in blog #5. It seems it's the best to get inactiv here and come back in a year for real news.

crionics
03-20-2015, 04:12 AM
My thoughts exactly. I'm a bit surprised that so many are swayed by yet another post full of promises and lies (pre alpha trailer) without the slightest bit of evidence to back it up.

Why should it be a lie? The trailer looked like pre alpha and the developers (Area 52) started three month ago. Games that have been developed for only three month are in pre-alpha stage.

Why not show off the core functionality that has been focussed on all this time?

Because there is no core functionality ;). In pre-alpha you play around with the engine and try things out. So the core functionality at the moment consists of (from what I saw in the trailer):

-some sort of (flat) terrain
-putting objects and path-tiles on the terrain
-moving objects (peeps) along straight paths
-animate objects
-maybe generating a railtrack along splines (coaster), but it could also be a static object, who knows ;)

So this is a good start but it will take at least 1-1.5 years to develop an actual game. Hopefully Atari won't release this for christmas sales.

And btw: it's not because you switch to a modern gaming engine your game can't be crap.

Thats completely true. Same game under Unity 4 and Unity 5 looks exactly the same.

Jamppa158
03-20-2015, 04:46 AM
Thank you for the blog post, Mattlab! Excited to see how RCTW will turn out to be. Hope we can see some ingame footage in the future.
Also made a reaction gif: http://i.imgur.com/aqqsUou.gif

Tacoman
03-20-2015, 05:16 AM
I am a game developer that utilizes Unity and has experienced the transition from 4-5. Take what you will with my claim as a dev, I will not go further than that.

-Unity transitions from a previous versions is tricky,and has primarily broken texture map assignments and some gameplay code.
-Shaders will have to be reassigned in unity, took us weeks of play-testing to fix it all. There is very little reason why someone has to rewrite shaders/graphics components when Unity already laid-out a system for you.

-From horror stories from other coworkers, A game that has transferred hands into new hands of programmers is a nightmare for the new guy,and from the timeline of the hand off, I surmise that this game will be full of bugs, more-so if someone at the top is feature creeping, will typically burden the programmer excessively into releasing a buggy game if released this year.

- Art, Not a very good sign from the screenshots presented by Pipeworks transitioning into Area 52, whatever may have happened now is not really providing solutions to art problems, or giving time at all to the art team. It seems that the strategy now is to take old assets and rebuild them ASAP with mismatched art styles, and I hope you are not using intern work because I see intern level work in the trailers. I hope your art team is better than that if you claim yourselves as AAA developers.

- "Pre-Alpha" - Programmer talk for "Will not be finished this year"

I cannot see further than what was provided, but word on the street says Atari is not to be trusted as the upper management don't know much of the game industry anymore. All I will say is... GOOD LUCK. AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.

Bionic
03-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Why should it be a lie? The trailer looked like pre alpha and the developers (Area 52) started three month ago. Games that have been developed for only three month are in pre-alpha stage.

Because there is no core functionality ;). In pre-alpha you play around with the engine and try things out. So the core functionality at the moment consists of (from what I saw in the trailer):

-some sort of (flat) terrain
-putting objects and path-tiles on the terrain
-moving objects (peeps) along straight paths
-animate objects
-maybe generating a railtrack along splines (coaster), but it could also be a static object, who knows ;)

So this is a good start but it will take at least 1-1.5 years to develop an actual game. Hopefully Atari won't release this for christmas sales.

Thats completely true. Same game under Unity 4 and Unity 5 looks exactly the same.

Well, they should have said it was pre-alpha before releasing the trailer, but instead they hyped it up. Mind you, right after the trailer came out Matt used the words 'early build'. Why not call it pre-alpha then, another missed opportunity. Calling it pre-alpha now isn't very believable.
I do agree that a game that has been in development for 3 months is most likely in a pre-alpha stage, but then again: up until the trailer was released the official release date of the finished game was 'early 2015'. With the go-live of the steam page it was put at mid 2015. Those release dates don't indicate that a game is still in pre-alpha a couple of months before the supposed release date.

As for the core functionality: I take from Matt's explanation that the trailer looked like crap because they were focussed on core functionality, and that now they are ready to polish the graphical side of the game. So I understood that the core functionality is there. Also form his blogposts he implied that for example coaster building is top notch. So why not show us that?

All I'm saying: Atari made the promise before of communicating and including community suggestions in the game. Which they clearly didn't, so why do so many believe they will start doing that now? Let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks. I'm predicting not much.

Rykoo
03-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Thx Matt for the Blog 5. The Unity 5 engine sounds very good! I hope that you can show us something very soon!

@conit
03-20-2015, 06:48 AM
There is no real information except that we'll have to wait longer to get better graphics :S

We want information about the gameplay and some screenshot to keep us entertainned. Everybody knows that the trailer was pre-alpha ...

Jordumus
03-20-2015, 06:57 AM
An in-depth analyse of the blog: https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?2570-Critics-on-new-dev-blog-5

EmSay
03-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Honesty! That what i wanted to hear. =)
thanks Matt.
Still looking forward to the game.

DominoNL
03-20-2015, 07:11 AM
.. This is why there has not been significant visual progress on the title.`..

3 lines below this:

.. Our intention in releasing our pre-alpha gameplay as a trailer was to show that there is progress being made. ..

So what did they want to show us then? Nice way to cover up that your marketing department is retarded.

Joe Android
03-20-2015, 08:26 AM

But the trailer was introduced in August last year, so it really is the alpha version.

In addition, the latest images showed a well polished game with decent graphics.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/gallery/rct-world/RCTW_Beauty_Adventure.jpg?9de0fa

alronv
03-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks for clearing up some of the questions over the releas. Good to know that you guys want to creat a grate game and not just rush it out to fill your pockets. I'm looking forward to the next blog:D

AUS_Twisted
03-20-2015, 09:45 AM
But the trailer was introduced in August last year, so it really is the alpha version.

In addition, the latest images showed a well polished game with decent graphics.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/gallery/rct-world/RCTW_Beauty_Adventure.jpg?9de0fa

Your info is pretty wrong, the teaser trailer is what Atari had from not long ago. The screenshot you posted is old and from last year when Pipeworks was the developer.

Thompso
03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
So basically this game won't come out till next year, If we are getting updates during the summer.

Unity 5 is AWESOME!

a-can-o-beans
03-20-2015, 11:05 AM
now THAT was a dev blog. my faith isnt completely restored yet but im so happy with the tone of this blog post. i was getting tired of being talked to like a little kid. SUPER happy to see that they are upgrading the engine as well and trying to make some realistic park elements. Please Mattlab, keep this tone as you write more blogs. i really appreciate this blog. now we just need to see these promises become reality. but MORE communication would be great.. looking forward to see the progress of this game. even if that means i cant play it til next year

k1ng r4t
03-20-2015, 01:13 PM
I am a game developer that utilizes Unity and has experienced the transition from 4-5. Take what you will with my claim as a dev, I will not go further than that.

-Unity transitions from a previous versions is tricky,and has primarily broken texture map assignments and some gameplay code.
-Shaders will have to be reassigned in unity, took us weeks of play-testing to fix it all. There is very little reason why someone has to rewrite shaders/graphics components when Unity already laid-out a system for you.

-From horror stories from other coworkers, A game that has transferred hands into new hands of programmers is a nightmare for the new guy,and from the timeline of the hand off, I surmise that this game will be full of bugs, more-so if someone at the top is feature creeping, will typically burden the programmer excessively into releasing a buggy game if released this year.

- Art, Not a very good sign from the screenshots presented by Pipeworks transitioning into Area 52, whatever may have happened now is not really providing solutions to art problems, or giving time at all to the art team. It seems that the strategy now is to take old assets and rebuild them ASAP with mismatched art styles, and I hope you are not using intern work because I see intern level work in the trailers. I hope your art team is better than that if you claim yourselves as AAA developers.

- "Pre-Alpha" - Programmer talk for "Will not be finished this year"

I cannot see further than what was provided, but word on the street says Atari is not to be trusted as the upper management don't know much of the game industry anymore. All I will say is... GOOD LUCK. AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.

I like this post a lot. Only thing I'd disagree with is that pre-alpha guarantees it won't be finished by this year. We have no idea how much work has actually been done or was done when they started. Could be zilch, could be enough to start the nitty gritty and be ready by the holiday season (but definitely not earlier. At least I really hope not). We'll be able to come to firmer conclusion on this more over the next month or two, but as of now it could go either way.

BigDaddy
03-20-2015, 01:27 PM
We have no idea how much work has actually been done or was done when they started. actually we do, that is exactly what the term Pre-alpha tells us. Its a development term which broadly gives the indication of how far along in development a piece of software is. Pre-alpha indicates is is NOT very far along at this point.

What really boggles my mind is why they have mid 2015 as the release date on their steam page. These guys just set themselves up for ridicule and failure it seems.

tycoon
03-20-2015, 01:50 PM
actually we do, that is exactly what the term Pre-alpha tells us. Its a development term which broadly gives the indication of how far along in development a piece of software is. Pre-alpha indicates is is NOT very far along at this point.

What really boggles my mind is why they have mid 2015 as the release date on their steam page. These guys just set themselves up for ridicule and failure it seems.

this is a common statement - why on earth would they release that terrible trailer, and why would they say early 2015, just put back to mid 2015 for release date...

i haven't seen anybody reference this point from blog post #4 as to why they'd do it, so i will:

I would like to take this time to ask all fans reading this blog that once the Steam page goes live to make sure to add the game to your Steam Wishlist and Follow the game. This is incredibly important to us as it allows us to not only communicate with you all automatically (most news will be posted there as well) but shows us and our partners the strength of the fan base. It takes two seconds for anyone to do and gives us, as well as you, a ton of value.

https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?2137-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Production-Blog-Post-4

you need a video trailer to list on steam, as i understand it... atari wanted their game listed on steam. they implore us to follow and wishlist the game, to 'show our partners the strength of the fanbase'... i can extrapolate from that statement, that they are seeking to build the net value of the game to a third party - whatever partner that may be... one thought, is that they could potentially raise money against a 'highly anticipated' game, which would be in part why they would post to steam early, and offer unrealistic release dates, to entice fans to follow and wishlist...

that's just one possibility - but i think regardless, they wanted to be on steam, and build the following and wishlist # regardless, hence why they released the crappy trailer - it was to get on to steam...

jjmccrae
03-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Trailer released
Community backlash
Silence for two weeks
Blog 5 released
= restart from scratch and call everything before 'development'

See you al in another year when there's something worth coming back for.

koekeritis
03-20-2015, 02:03 PM
this is a common statement - why on earth would they release that terrible trailer, and why would they say early 2015, just put back to mid 2015 for release date...

i haven't seen anybody reference this point from blog post #4 as to why they'd do it, so i will:

you need a video trailer to list on steam, as i understand it... atari wanted their game listed on steam. they implore us to follow and wishlist the game, to 'show our partners the strength of the fanbase'... i can extrapolate from that statement, that they are seeking to build the net value of the game to a third party - whatever partner that may be... one thought, is that they could potentially raise money against a 'highly anticipated' game, which would be in part why they would post to steam early, and offer unrealistic release dates, to entice fans to follow and wishlist...

that's just one possibility - but i think regardless, they wanted to be on steam, and build the following and wishlist # regardless, hence why they released the crappy trailer - it was to get on to steam...

That's a good point.

RCT gamer
03-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Well, I think this is the fourth attempt to bring RCT 4 to the World. ;)

First we had 'We are thinking very hard' a couple of years ago, which soon was forgotten (1).
Then there was Piperworks doing nice spline-based rollercoasters and beautiful pictures. But obviously with difficulties to put it together to a functional game (2).
Then Area 52 were engaged to make a functional game to play. They succeeded in that, but it looked like dragged in by the cat (3).
Now the have decided to reconstruct it from the bottom with Unity 5, stable release about that time (Mar 5 2015) that blog post 5 was supposed to be born (4).

I think that the developers realized that they had to change to Unity 5 some weeks ago. And of course they had to test it, before they could announce that Unity 5 was there new choice of engine. Therefore the delay.

To change game engine is not just to 'update' some minor things. It demands more than that. Of course You can reuse the old designs of coasters, assets, tycoon challenges and so on. But I think that wasn't what we complained about. ;)

I 've been sitting quietly on my couch and waited for this to happen, while people besides me obivously have jumped up and down in, well I don't know what it is.

In RCT 3 we had the coaster cam, we had the animal cam, but we didn't have the peep cam (well, maybe the VIPS, I don't remember). I EXPECT in a new RCT that I can walk around with my own character and explore the rides, shops etc and carry things (not as advances as in WoW but at least in SOME way). Visit my known and unknown friends parks and walk around. It's promised to be, but I point it out as the main thing for me.

I'm very pleased with RCT 1+2+3 and still play them now and then. I'm not as annoyed over square paths and angular coasters that I realize others are, but this is what I miss most in the present games. Hope walking around in first person perspective will be true! :)

And finally, here is a suggestion for one of the predefined challenges! Walking around in first person perspective and ride at least X (depending on difficulty level) rides, included Y rollercoasters. You have to find smart paths, avoid long lines and so on. ;)

The Stig
03-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Then there was Piperworks doing nice spline-based rollercoasters...

I don't remember seeing any roller coasters in the Pipeworks screenshots.

Caine
03-20-2015, 04:11 PM

Maybe that's the problem Pipeworks had, that they can't program spline based coasters and Atari wanted this feature :confused:

It would be interessting to knew the reason(s) for this developer change but I think Atari wouldn't tell us.

GoobyPls
03-20-2015, 04:28 PM
nice blogpost Mattlab. As you can see, the community can handle the truth pretty well. Why weren't you honest with us sooner? nonetheless, what i read sounds very promising. Better graphics/engine; more realism; CS support; americana-theme becoming more "generic"; delayed release. i'm hopeful again :)

RCT gamer
03-20-2015, 04:53 PM

Clue: They were spline-based from the beginning (except from the grid-based-stations). And in the beginning it was Pipeworks.

1+1=2 :D

Joe Android
03-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Your info is pretty wrong, the teaser trailer is what Atari had from not long ago. The screenshot you posted is old and from last year when Pipeworks was the developer.
The trailer was filed August last year, so it is the alpha version of the game. The images are of Pipeworks, I know it, where you saw that I say otherwise?

The images are of December 2014, what I mean is that if the trailer was the final product, as someone has been mentioned above, the images would be meaningless.

AzothStorm
03-20-2015, 05:17 PM
So after reading over the blog it made me alittle happy but also realizing everything is going back to the drawing board basically,all while there saying its pre-alpha and basically giving a general idea of whats going on. So I sat here and thought well what if they decided to do something along the lines of steam green light and basically once its playable enough actually letting people test it. I mean Everyone has had the biggest including me with the release video,images and just the talk there putting out and not what there actually giving us. So why not let the community actually test a alpha or beta build and give you our thoughts and opinions on how its coming along when it gets to that point. This way everyone can actually go into the alpha/beta build and see personally how the games looking and feeling towards the RCT franchise and how it represents it as a whole. This being my best personal solution instead of everyone getting mad about what the dev blog is telling us we actually get to see the game hands on and how its developing with our own eyes.

RCT gamer
03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
The trailer was filed August last year, so it is the alpha version of the game. The images are of Pipeworks, I know it, where you saw that I say otherwise?

The images are of December 2014, what I mean is that if the trailer was the final product, as someone has been mentioned above, the images would be meaningless.

About the spline-based rollercoasters, they were seen and mentioned in early blogposts from different people. Before the first screenshots! And even this forum existed!

But as I said, it was my conclusion that there has been different versions during the past year. With different approaches, let' say beauty versus playability. Screenshots said to have been taken from early versions compared to trailers indicate that. Can You see a consistent develop line in the information? I can't! So I see the signs. But conclusions is not the same as proofs! This is not a trial, but a discussion forum. :D

But is it even important now? Why be digging in the dirt, so to say? ;)

k1ng r4t
03-20-2015, 05:29 PM
actually we do, that is exactly what the term Pre-alpha tells us. Its a development term which broadly gives the indication of how far along in development a piece of software is. Pre-alpha indicates is is NOT very far along at this point.

True, key word "broadly." We know they've been working on the base mechanics, as is mentioned in Blog Post 5. Graphics usually come last in development because they're on the easier side of development(not not NOT saying it's easy, but compared to a functional game and using a pre-existing engine, graphics should be easier). OR they could have a few drawings and some shots they made with TPS to look like RCT. Both can be pre-alpha. Thus we don't know for sure how far along they are and those two are quite different.

"The game is currently in what we are calling a pre-alpha stage – features and graphics are still being coded. Since the switchover of our development team this past Fall, we have focused on core functionality and “under-the-hood” engine work. This is why there has not been significant visual progress on the title. Engine work is critical to the overall stability of a game, and it requires significant labor and time to get right."

"What we call pre-alpha" is an interesting turn of phrase. Is it really pre-alpha? Or are they saying that to appease the masses? And if they have been working on core functionality, then clearly there's been progress. Whether that means the ability to lay out paths and peeps use them or the ability to open up the main menu remains to be seen.

k1ng r4t
03-20-2015, 05:31 PM

If it's true you need a video to put up a Steam page then this very well could be the case. Meaning it was a marketing tactic after all, just in the worst way possible.

Joe Android
03-20-2015, 05:39 PM
The question is that the first trailer that they showed us is much better than the teaser trailer, so there is no doubt that the game was improved and continue to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYDqYcyEU0

Paul_Boland
03-20-2015, 05:40 PM
You do need a video to list something on Steam. I am a software developer who deploys on Steam and a video is a necessity when posting a new game to the platform.

Marvin
03-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Since they're using a new engine, can they finally get rid of the grid?

koekeritis
03-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Here you go:

koekeritis
03-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Since they're using a new engine, can they finally get rid of the grid?

Unity is the core engine. Unity has nothong to do with their "building engine", as I like to call it. I myself develop games with unity and at the moment I made 2D games and a 3D puzzle platformer. So yeah...

Jackeagle15
03-20-2015, 08:02 PM
First off, I'd like to say I've looked up the Unity 5 engine and it looks amazing. I'm really excited for what it can do for the game and how it can add to the realism discussed in the blog. Still, I'm not entirely pleased; while the game sounds like it's gonna be amazing and the technology behind it seems to get better and better, the lack of information about the release date is concerning. First it was supposed to come out early 2015, and here we are in March finding out sometime "later this year" is when we'll find out the actual release date. While I appreciate the work that's being put into this and the obvious amount of care the developers have for making this game right, it's still upsetting to sit around and wait with no definite information about the timing of the game. I'm not saying they should rush the development of RCTW at all, I'm just hoping that we get a better idea of what's going on and when soon. Overall though, things seem to be going well and I'm still really excited for this game.

mb1.0.2
03-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Not sure this switch in engines is some big revelation. Parkietect mentioned the upgrade to Unity 5 in one of their (much better) dev blogs. I think it is more of a "next logical step" when using the older Unity engine? So to hype it up as something major might just be even more smoke and mirrors. As I said a while ago, thanks for the info, but still...you'll have a long way to go to prove that this game is worth my time and money.

Mightykiko
03-20-2015, 08:49 PM

I get upgrading the graphics and adding realism, but why remove the americana theme entirely? Unless it's replaced with one or two new themes, It's pointless.
I'm sure many people still want to build a sort of "Main street" in front of their parks, so maybe at least keep that. We should still be able to have old-looking rides,and could sti. improve graphics (I.e. a really well textured retro tram

Sir Isaac
03-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Sounds to me like they scrapped what they had and started over...

0BobTheJanitor
03-20-2015, 09:03 PM
I get upgrading the graphics and adding realism, but why remove the americana theme entirely? Unless it's replaced with one or two new themes, It's pointless.
I'm sure many people still want to build a sort of "Main street" in front of their parks, so maybe at least keep that. We should still be able to have old-looking rides,and could sti. improve graphics (I.e. a really well textured retro tram

That's what custom content is for. Or maybe a $0.99 DLC pack.

RCTLOVER
03-20-2015, 09:08 PM
WOW. You guys have brought me back in. I'm happy to see you are finally listening to us! YAY!

soulplay
03-20-2015, 11:35 PM
lol, regardless of engine so much BS is going on. Ever heard of anisotropic filtering before when recording a video?

Thank god you're not developing the game .... Anisotropic filtering does not do smoothness of lines ..... i would not see how anisotropic would help in that horrible trailer.

I think you mean anti-aliasing, that video lacked any of it.

bubrigard
03-21-2015, 01:07 AM
I like the sound of this blog post, and I hope it isn't just a pandering shot to get the fanboys and girls to layoff.

My one major request:

NO DLC/Microtransactions. Please revive the expansion pack model that would add rides, scenarios, and objects that deepened the gameplay and was not designed to make a quick buck *chough* reskins* cough.

AUS_Twisted
03-21-2015, 03:42 AM

Nope, the teaser trailer was never said to be from last year by Atari and they just said the game is currently in Alpha.

The question is that the first trailer that they showed us is much better than the teaser trailer, so there is no doubt that the game was improved and continue to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYDqYcyEU0
You realize the first trailer the part at the end is completely pre rendered, there's no in game footage at all. It's just objects placed in whatever 3D designer Pipeworks were using.

AUS_Twisted
03-21-2015, 03:45 AM
Thank god you're not developing the game .... Anisotropic filtering does not do smoothness of lines ..... i would not see how anisotropic would help in that horrible trailer.

I think you mean anti-aliasing, that video lacked any of it.

Do you know what keeps textures sharp when viewing on angles? Having anisotropic filtering off is far worse then having no antialiasing.

Caine
03-21-2015, 06:23 AM
NO DLC/Microtransactions. Please revive the expansion pack model that would add rides, scenarios, and objects that deepened the gameplay and was not designed to make a quick buck *chough* reskins* cough.

It is confirmed since the announcement that the game has no microtransactions. And DLC is just another way to deliver expansion packs so I think that you can buy the expansion packs as DLC at Steam or a hard disc in store. I just hope that the DLC's will have enough content and not something like an accessoires pack for the sims.

Wabigbear
03-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Some of the images were shown back at the end of August. You can check the date on this article: http://www.pcgamer.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-preview/

One blogger claimed they saw a SIMILAR trailer last August - he never said he saw the exact same trailer Atari just released a couple weeks ago. The original video is also on the above link, and it is indeed very similar, thus explaining why the blogger thought he had seen it before...

Creasy
03-21-2015, 08:21 AM
I've been fan of this game since the first game, RCT 2 is my favorite bought that game 2 times, box version and now on steam and it's still installed on my pc. Never liked third games, IMHO that 3D looking graphics never fit to RCT. And this one, you guys say it's pre-alpha i hope it is, because from rides to shops and people everything looks so fake and disturbingly way too worse than RCT 2, hope you guys fix this or never release this game, if i see a little improvement i will pre-order the gamwe on steam. Keep up working on it.

Joe Android
03-21-2015, 08:39 AM
Some of the images were shown back at the end of August. You can check the date on this article: http://www.pcgamer.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-preview/

One blogger claimed they saw a SIMILAR trailer last August - he never said he saw the exact same trailer Atari just released a couple weeks ago. The original video is also on the above link, and it is indeed very similar, thus explaining why the blogger thought he had seen it before...
Better then, if the images are of late August, the graphic engine was improved more.

That explains why this blogger says that RCTW doesn't look like crap of the trailer.

http://powerleveled.com/contrary-to-reports-the-new-rollercoaster-tycoon-doesnt-look-like-sht/

Joe Android
03-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Nope, the teaser trailer was never said to be from last year by Atari and they just said the game is currently in Alpha.
That was said for someone on the forum, for this I say this.

You realize the first trailer the part at the end is completely pre rendered, there's no in game footage at all. It's just objects placed in whatever 3D designer Pipeworks were using.
I never said the contrary, just I said that the appearance of the graphics is better. The images are also of Pipeworks, and have better quality.

MR.sugar
03-21-2015, 08:59 AM
That was said for someone on the forum, for this I say this.

I never said the contrary, just I said that the appearance of the graphics is better. The images are also of Pipeworks, and have better quality.

Ok, so actually, in the old pictures and first teaser trailer, the game looks better then the recent trailer? How could that happen?

This trailer is from current stage, as they said they wanted to show progress. When you show a progress, you don't use more than half a year old build/footage from the game. What we saw was definitely the current stage of the game.

Joe Android
03-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Ok, so actually, in the old pictures and first teaser trailer, the game looks better then the recent trailer? How could that happen?

This trailer is from current stage, as they said they wanted to show progress. When you show a progress, you don't use more than half a year old build/footage from the game. What we saw was definitely the current stage of the game.
If the reality is what you say, is that Atari takes us for idiots. Is just necessary to look the first trailer and the teaser trailer. The first trailer, for me, look better, also the images that are in Steam, and you will realize that something is not right, all this in case that the trailer is the ''current phase'' of the game, as you say, which I think not, I I think that the both trailers are very old and the game was improved.

If you notice, the wheel is more detailed and polished that in the teaser trailer:

https://scontent-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11070266_935958949761308_199824070131185871_n.jpg? oh=83dcae4b7e94b2e64dfb5670126b8659&oe=55BC8BCF

tycoon
03-21-2015, 11:54 AM
If the reality is what you say, is that Atari takes us for idiots. Is just necessary to look at the pictures that are in Steam and watch the trailer, and you will realize that something is not right, all this in case that the trailer is the ''current phase'' of the game, as you say, which I think not, I I think the trailer is very old and the game was improved.

If you're right, that it's very old footage, why wouldn't they say that? It being the current state of the game makes them and the game look pretty bad, yet they didn't say 'hey this is from last August'. I think some of the other posters are onto it, and you're overly optimistic with this 'very old footage' explanation, one that was never offered as fact by Atari, despite the fact that would save some face.

Joe Android
03-21-2015, 12:04 PM
If you're right, that it's very old footage, why wouldn't they say that? It being the current state of the game makes them and the game look pretty bad, yet they didn't say 'hey this is from last August'. I think some of the other posters are onto it, and you're overly optimistic with this 'very old footage' explanation, one that was never offered as fact by Atari, despite the fact that would save some face.
I want to be optimistic and think that Atari will not kill this saga, and more knowing that they will have a great competitor, Coaster Park Tycoon, by Frontier.

Atari can get things wrong, but they aren't stupid, they know what they do, if they have said that the game will use Unity 5, is that the game going to be awesome, plus the release date is getting longer, so they are taking enough time to do things right, the wait will be worth it.

Incidentally, it is not difficult to see that this trailer is very old, you have to go in Steam and see the images, and compare the quality. Do not give me with the change of developer, I'm sure the game is, actually, like pictures, good quality, but still need to polish it more and have better graphics, and this will happen with Unity 5 and Area 52 Games.

MR.sugar
03-21-2015, 12:28 PM
If the reality is what you say, is that Atari takes us for idiots. Is just necessary to look the first trailer and the teaser trailer. The first trailer, for me, look better, also the images that are in Steam, and you will realize that something is not right, all this in case that the trailer is the ''current phase'' of the game, as you say, which I think not, I I think that the both trailers are very old and the game was improved.

If you notice, the wheel is more detailed and polished that in the teaser trailer:

https://scontent-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11070266_935958949761308_199824070131185871_n.jpg? oh=83dcae4b7e94b2e64dfb5670126b8659&oe=55BC8BCF

Again, why would they show better version of the game in the first teaser and then release this horrible trailer, saying they want to show us a progress? It's complete nonses, if the game looked like this in the teaser, they wouldn't show us even older version in the actual trailer. It's complete nonsese and I think that it's just that you can't believe that screenshots are very easy (and it's nothing unusual in the gameming industry) to photoshop. They could add anything to it, especially playing with the lighting can do real magic. Notice also that strange blurr in the screenshots, for some reason, I don't think it's an ingame feature, rather then they were hiding what the game looks like and didn't want to photoshop entire picture, so they blurred stuff in the distance and focused on certain part of the picture and made it better.

Same for the trailer, it would be quite a lot work to enhence the graphics in the full video, but probably wasn't too much work to do one 3 secs long footage for the teaser. I believe the game actually never looked like that.

I want to be optimistic and think that Atari will not kill this saga, and more knowing that they will have a great competitor, Coaster Park Tycoon, by Frontier.

Atari can get things wrong, but they aren't stupid, they know what they do, if they have said that the game will use Unity 5, is that the game going to be awesome, plus the release date is getting longer, so they are taking enough time to do things right, the wait will be worth it.

Incidentally, it is not difficult to see that this trailer is very old, you have to go in Steam and see the images, and compare the quality. Do not give me with the change of developer, I'm sure the game is, actually, like pictures, good quality, but still need to polish it more and have better graphics, and this will happen with Unity 5 and Area 52 Games.

It was said here already, engine won't make the game better. I develop games, so I know what I'm talking about. It's about developers, their capabilities and the art. If models and textures are not good enough, even the best engine won't help you. And this seems to be the case. Models we have seen are usually with horribly low-res textures and overally are just horrible. And it takes a looot of time to re-skin everything (it's not that simple as it may sound like). They can port it to unity 25 or unreal engine 7, but the game will look like garbage anyway.

And people still didn't explain me why the video doesn't look as good as the pictures...

Joe Android
03-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Again, why would they show better version of the game in the first teaser and then release this horrible trailer, saying they want to show us a progress? It's complete nonses, if the game looked like this in the teaser, they wouldn't show us even older version in the actual trailer. It's complete nonsese and I think that it's just that you can't believe that screenshots are very easy (and it's nothing unusual in the gameming industry) to photoshop. They could add anything to it, especially playing with the lighting can do real magic. Notice also that strange blurr in the screenshots, for some reason, I don't think it's an ingame feature, rather then they were hiding what the game looks like and didn't want to photoshop entire picture, so they blurred stuff in the distance and focused on certain part of the picture and made it better.

Same for the trailer, it would be quite a lot work to enhence the graphics in the full video, but probably wasn't too much work to do one 3 secs long footage for the teaser. I believe the game actually never looked like that.
For now, everything Atari shown us, not makes sense, so don't worry. And don't tell me anything, this was made by Atari, I only see the first trailer has better quality.

Images can have a bit of photoshop, but the textures are better than the trailer, and the paths too, not to mention the peeps and roller coasters, are better. I repeat, that the game has improved and has nothing to do with the teaser trailer, here a confirmation ;) :

http://powerleveled.com/contrary-to-reports-the-new-rollercoaster-tycoon-doesnt-look-like-sht/

It was said here already, engine won't make the game better. I develop games, so I know what I'm talking about. It's about developers, their capabilities and the art. If models and textures are not good enough, even the best engine won't help you. And this seems to be the case. Models we have seen are usually with horribly low-res textures and overally are just horrible. And it takes a looot of time to re-skin everything (it's not that simple as it may sound like). They can port it to unity 25 or unreal engine 7, but the game will look like garbage anyway.

And people still didn't explain me why the video doesn't look as good as the pictures...
For this was the change to Area 52 Games, the game will be AAA, therefore must have a minimally decent quality. The game does not look like **** of the trailer, therefore still they have time to work on the graphics, as has said Mattlab in blog # 5.

MR.sugar
03-21-2015, 12:54 PM
For now, everything Atari shown us, not makes sense, so don't worry.

Images can have a bit of photoshop, but the textures are better than the trailer, and the paths too, not to mention the peeps and roller coasters, are better. I repeat, that the game has improved and has nothing to do with the teaser trailer, here a confirmation ;) :

For this was the change to Area 52 Games, the game will be AAA, therefore must have a minimally decent quality. The game does not look like **** of the trailer, therefore still they have time to work on the graphics, as has said Mattlab in blog # 5.

People in the pictures would be easy to enhance, or they could simply use high-poly models that won't rly appear in-game and pohoshop them in. There is many ways how to do it. It's also not a problem ti make textures sharper. If you are good at it, you can modify almost anything. And they did it. If it was true, that the game improved as you say (with the article), they why Mattlab actually said they were showing progress?

Showing progress doesn't meaning "hey, look, this is how the game looked like more than 6 months ago". And they would have said it when they released the trailer, not after 3 weeks. They clearly took their time to come up with excuses and lies. That article is completely irrelevant, it's not even official so it can't be accepted as confirmation. Mattlab has to confirm this and even better, show us how the game looks like. But he doesn't confirm this, because if he did it, it would be a fat lie.

Anyway, just tell me why they can't show the same level of quality as in the pictures? Definitely because they are photoshoped and it's pretty much impossible to fake this in the video as well.

This game needs to be completely re-designed, almost from scratch. And that Mattlab says they will take as much time as needed can't be simply true. Because the longer you develop the game, the more expensive it is. And Atari is not in a good condition to afford this. Just face facts and don't get fooled by PR blathers. PR manager or anyone else will never tell you truth if their game sucks... Mattlab is here to say us what we want to hear, but that's all.

And Area52 is not very competent to make AAA game. don't get me wrong, they may be rly good, but they haven't delivered a game yet, there is like 12 people working on the team. That's just not good enough to deliver AAA game. They should have started with smaller projects...

Joe Android
03-21-2015, 01:09 PM
People in the pictures would be easy to enhance, or they could simply use high-poly models that won't rly appear in-game and pohoshop them in. There is many ways how to do it. It's also not a problem ti make textures sharper. If you are good at it, you can modify almost anything. And they did it. If it was true, that the game improved as you say (with the article), they why Mattlab actually said they were showing progress?

Showing progress doesn't meaning "hey, look, this is how the game looked like more than 6 months ago". And they would have said it when they released the trailer, not after 3 weeks. They clearly took their time to come up with excuses and lies. That article is completely irrelevant, it's not even official so it can't be accepted as confirmation. Mattlab has to confirm this and even better, show us how the game looks like. But he doesn't confirm this, because if he did it, it would be a fat lie.

Anyway, just tell me why they can't show the same level of quality as in the pictures? Definitely because they are photoshoped and it's pretty much impossible to fake this in the video as well.

This game needs to be completely re-designed, almost from scratch. And that Mattlab says they will take as much time as needed can't be simply true. Because the longer you develop the game, the more expensive it is. And Atari is not in a good condition to afford this. Just face facts and don't get fooled by PR blathers. PR manager or anyone else will never tell you truth if their game sucks... Mattlab is here to say us what we want to hear, but that's all.

And Area52 is not very competent to make AAA game. don't get me wrong, they may be rly good, but they haven't delivered a game yet, there is like 12 people working on the team. That's just not good enough to deliver AAA game. They should have started with smaller projects...
Because the article has to be false? Maybe it's true, you never know...

The change to Area 52, in theory, should improve the game, they have worked on major franchises like Tropico and SimCity.

And yes, I checked that Area 52 does not have any game released, plus they are veterans, and let me tell you that I am not happy with this, I have always said that the big mistake of Atari was not work again with Frontier in this new RCT.

By the way, the pictures, if it was photoshop, all they get with this is deluding themselves.

You see photoshop in this picture? I see much improvement for photoshop ...

http://0f263a1aeaecc2c7e55c-d6d1e91833d4a5aea80657854029c137.r39.cf2.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/rsz_pcplayer-2015-02-06-16-45-37-31-1100x618.jpg?9de0fa

RCT gamer
03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
This game needs to be completely re-designed, almost from scratch.
And this is what is happening. Iv'e realized that a long time ago. All theese argues and 'proofs' about continuous improvement are funny to read.
Look at it from the companys point of view: Could they ever say: Hey, we are in a dead-end, we have to start almost from scratch again?
Even if it was true, they could never go out with that. Have You ever seen a company do that? Particularly to a yelling crowd in a forum?
You'll never get the truth. Only read what they want You to read.
As I said before, I'm quite happy with that. It's normal, it's understandable. I like Atari very much. I like the construction of RCTW. I like the delays to get it right.
Don't worry, be happy! :D

kensulu
03-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Thank you for sharing my opinion so succinctly. I don't trust Atari, and (no offense intended to Area 52) I don't trust the developers. The former has done nothing of note since the 1980s, while the latter, unfortunately, has zero work to gauge their abilities on. That said, I don't blame Area 52 for what has happened here.

I still can't get over the travesty that was that trailer, and how apparently we are (or were) three months from release, but the game is in a pre-alpha state. How does that happen? There's simply no way you can move from pre-alpha to final release in a three-month window, especially not for what is supposed to be a AAA-quality game. Somebody is lying.

I don't blame Atari's mouthpiece, either, because he probably has very little control over what he can say, but what I don't stand for is being lied to. We've seen this before from arrogant and/or naive publishers and developers. Think how much Maxis lied about SC2013. Either these parties think the customers are stupid or simply don't care one way or the other. It doesn't matter, though, because in neither case will they be getting my financial support, and ultimately that's all any business really cares about.

What I would like to add to this is sure they may have misled but I would rather them restart and make the game better than realease it as it was unfinished looked like a cell phone game.

k1ng r4t
03-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Don't worry, be happy! :D

Careful, them's fightin' words round these parts. But I agree, it might turn out awful, but they're moving in the right direction to make it great. So I'll remain hopeful, but if it is garbage...such is life. Every franchise dies eventually. RCTW is more like a zombie brought back from the dead than a person given new life. Frontier's game might be the true spiritual successor, but only time will tell.

k1ng r4t
03-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Like someone else mentioned what I'm most curious about at this point is why this was moved into General Discussion when all the other blog post threads are still in announcements...

Hm....

Underdog104
03-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Like someone else mentioned what I'm most curious about at this point is why this was moved into General Discussion when all the other blog post threads are still in announcements...

Hm....

Who cares??

Tacoman
03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
One theory is from a business standpoint typical of companies like Atari.

Hire out a real professional studio to figure out innovative gameplay systems, once finished, take away the contract from the (Expensive) studio and hire a middleman studio to finish the rest at an undercut price, because there are few reasons why you'd pull a game away from a studio other than expense.

EuroMaster2008
03-21-2015, 04:07 PM
I agree with all of you, which say, that they changed the Plans, cause of the Trailer! But could this be the truth? Why, if you decide to change the Studio AND the Engine, you don´t do it at the time you change the studio?
I believe, that Atari was never to put RCTW on the market any time soon! This all was a lie!
They tried to create an fanbase, then ingore it and now they try to creat a game from zero!

justbrae1
03-21-2015, 04:14 PM
I agree with all of you, which say, that they changed the Plans, cause of the Trailer! But could this be the truth? Why, if you decide to change the Studio AND the Engine, you don´t do it at the time you change the studio?
I believe, that Atari was never to put RCTW on the market any time soon! This all was a lie!
They tried to create an fanbase, then ingore it and now they try to creat a game from zero!

To be fair, according to linkedin.com profiles, the VP of marketing and community(a family member of the CEO of area 52 games) is no longer with the company as of February 2015.. has to make you wonder whats going on.

MR.sugar
03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Honestly, I think there are internal problems with the development since the beggining and it's never good.

Regasaurus14
03-21-2015, 05:55 PM
You guys should also don't make it heavyly themed. Because some of us maybe want to just have it as a normal theme park. You guys need also to make more roller coaster types. Like the new ones today like e.g. El toro, Wooden Intamin, Zierer and many more. Pls make rides that you normally find in a normal theme park like e.g. Six flags. Make queue lines like roller coaster lines. Have those gates that you would normally be hide so you don't go close to the coaster. And make paths like freely. Like we can make it any size.

BNA210
03-21-2015, 10:36 PM
Really hope its released in "Early 2015" like you originally said
just hope it comes out way before june 2015 or even 2016

GoobyPls
03-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Really hope its released in "Early 2015" like you originally said
just hope it comes out way before june 2015 or even 2016

Are you trolling or serious?
The game will need a lot of additional time, that's obvious, Mattlab even kind of admitted it. Maybe this year, but i think 2016 isn't unlikely.

Sir Isaac
03-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Bottom line:
I am willing to wait as long as it takes for the game to be near perfect. I'm glad to hear they're willing to do the same.

And89
03-23-2015, 10:00 AM
thanks for this update,
we wanted a good news :)

MikeyScutt88
03-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Good to hear you are changing the graphics, but i would much prefer a roller coaster tycoon game that looks like what the Cities Skylines guys have done, that would be a dream. Then this 3d Cartoon look i hate it even if it is going to be more shiny.

PrefoX
03-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Good to hear you are changing the graphics, but i would much prefer a roller coaster tycoon game that looks like what the Cities Skylines guys have done, that would be a dream. Then this 3d Cartoon look i hate it even if it is going to be more shiny.

both games use the unity 4.6 engine so its not the engines fault, RCTW looked so bad.

James
03-24-2015, 05:17 AM
Hopefully this is the start of more information and transparency from the RCT Dev team. Hopefully, this isn't the start of another letdown guys.

RCTW1
03-24-2015, 01:20 PM
nobody will buy it?? well guess ill be the only one then,i have been so hungry for a good RC game after rct3 came out and was disapointed because of the flaws and all 3 did was make me more hungry.And im happy to hear that they dont want to release this until its of quality that everyone wants.Id rather wait til 2016 than get it next month and be another RCT3.I for 1 will be buying it whenever it comes out

Hopefully you will at least wait for previews before deciding to buy it.

Lexsoul
03-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Ok I just create an account to say to RollerCoaster: never post that kind of videos again. We know you are working so hard, make noise, filter some images "unexpected" to the internet, learn from marketing from GTA, and then go to all expo you can or the most valuable. Will be expensive but after all we pay all that didn't?
If you are remastering all again think twice and make a good game. Dont learn from Age of Empires.
Make simple code. And make a better video for second introduction!
Just think that we will be playing almost all day, and should be fun, no waiting for unlock something, no buy 10,000 coins for $4.99 this is not an app for appstore!
Sell your game for $59 and put an offer for some exclusive promo for six flags ride or some scarf from zelda...I dont know do something!! we are on 2015 I hope for you the best and I will be waiting for news from you guys!

DonSPa
03-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Hopefully you will at least wait for previews before deciding to buy it.

naw not really,ill end up buying it,to me a game is just like a movie,1000 people can say they like a movie and i might not,
I look at reviews with a grain of salt because everyones taste is different.For example if i had followed most peoples opinions about mlb 2k12 i would have never bought it and i for one liked the game.And i actually was involved with modding for the game.Alot of people i know talk about minecraft and how great it is and myself i dont like it.Im hoping that rctw plays like rct3 but with less frustration and playable without crashing and as big of a park as i want.After reading the blog i am actually thinking that rctw is going to go above my expectations.My expectations probally wont be as high as a few ive read.As`long as im getting what i want anything more will be an added bonus,like graphics and game play that totally blow my mind then hey coooool.With them delaying instead of rushing that has my confidence up

RCTW1
03-24-2015, 09:25 PM
naw not really,ill end up buying it,to me a game is just like a movie,1000 people can say they like a movie and i might not,
I look at reviews with a grain of salt because everyones taste is different.For example if i had followed most peoples opinions about mlb 2k12 i would have never bought it and i for one liked the game.And i actually was involved with modding for the game.Alot of people i know talk about minecraft and how great it is and myself i dont like it.Im hoping that rctw plays like rct3 but with less frustration and playable without crashing and as big of a park as i want.After reading the blog i am actually thinking that rctw is going to go above my expectations.My expectations probally wont be as high as a few ive read.As`long as im getting what i want anything more will be an added bonus,like graphics and game play that totally blow my mind then hey coooool.With them delaying instead of rushing that has my confidence up

I would hope that you would use your own judgement. I'm just saying, dont buy it without previewing it.

allen
03-24-2015, 11:20 PM
WOW! The trolls have said what they needed to say, bash the game and everyone else, plus tell people not to buy it and they still keep trolling! Get over it and move on with the bashing and trolling and gp play a game or something!

RCTW1
03-25-2015, 03:44 AM
For your information, I'm not trolling. I'm giving sound advice for buying anything.

ExtraCheese
03-25-2015, 05:47 AM
I really don't like what this forum has become... Full of pessimists and so many negative thoughts.
Can we all just be positive for this game? I think it's a very good idea that the devs continue to develop the game so it will become better than that monster they showed in the teaser trailer. We all should accept that the game will then be released later as specified. But given the choice, would you rather play a broken, ugly game in May, or would you play a game in December *random month* which looks MUCH better and is actually a great game to play? I'm not claiming this game will be good, as we haven't seen any good footage since pipeworks left the project, but I think it's healthy to keep faith in a game we all want so very much.

RCTW1
03-25-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm glad that RCTW got pushed back, as it bothers me when a company puts a date on a product. But like anyone with good intelligence, would check out reviews before buying that particular product.

magicart87
03-25-2015, 12:46 PM
I really don't like what this forum has become... Full of pessimists and so many negative thoughts.
Can we all just be positive for this game? I think it's a very good idea that the devs continue to develop the game so it will become better than that monster they showed in the teaser trailer. We all should accept that the game will then be released later as specified. But given the choice, would you rather play a broken, ugly game in May, or would you play a game in December *random month* which looks MUCH better and is actually a great game to play? I'm not claiming this game will be good, as we haven't seen any good footage since pipeworks left the project, but I think it's healthy to keep faith in a game we all want so very much.

Works for me! Anyone else ready to stop whining and support Atari's decision to fix the game and make it the RCT game we ALL want it to be?

MR.sugar
03-25-2015, 03:05 PM
There is no reason to be positive until they prove they mean what they say. Since the early days, all their words in dev.blogs were just hollow words and with the trailer and communication, they just showed us that almost nothing is true.

As soon as they proove all the promised in the last blog, I will restore my faith in the game.. Until then, I don't trust them and expect this game to be a killer of RCT franchise.

DonSPa
03-25-2015, 03:33 PM
WOW! The trolls have said what they needed to say, bash the game and everyone else, plus tell people not to buy it and they still keep trolling! Get over it and move on with the bashing and trolling and gp play a game or something!

naw i dont think hes bashing in any way or telling me not to buy it,i understand where hes coming from about buying a game and not previewing it first.Some people will buy games and not preview it to see what others think of a game and then end up wishing they didnt buy it.Some games i will do this i'll preview first and some games like COD ill buy without previewing.Ive wanted a good RC game ever since RCT3 came out.I liked that game and if it wasnt for the 10-12 minute load time and crashing a few mins in the game causing my frustration level to rise i'd enjoy it more.I have a good feeling about this game and with the unity 5 announcement just made me more excited

MR.sugar
03-25-2015, 04:06 PM
naw i dont think hes bashing in any way or telling me not to buy it,i understand where hes coming from about buying a game and not previewing it first.Some people will buy games and not preview it to see what others think of a game and then end up wishing they didnt buy it.Some games i will do this i'll preview first and some games like COD ill buy without previewing.Ive wanted a good RC game ever since RCT3 came out.I liked that game and if it wasnt for the 10-12 minute load time and crashing a few mins in the game causing my frustration level to rise i'd enjoy it more.I have a good feeling about this game and with the unity 5 announcement just made me more excited

Since they have been using unity 4 till now, there is rly no reason to be excited about Unity 5. It's not going to be THAT different as you may think.

RCTW1
03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Thank you DonSPa.

justbrae1
03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Can we all just be positive for this game? I think it's a very good idea that the devs continue to develop the game so it will become better than that monster they showed in the teaser trailer.

You're absolutely right. We should all praise they game they have showcased us, and tell them it looks great and we will all buy it. Then, when noone buys it because it looks like garbage and the reviews on sites are almost 0, they can remind themselves that the community told them it was great! OR, we can tell them it looks like garbage and call BS on the lies until proven otherwise.. which would you prefer? They already made a fool of everyone here once..

Jawds78
03-25-2015, 11:17 PM
First of all I am excited to see that I am not the only one who loves RCT!! It's also very nice to see that they care about the game just as much as we do, and it really does seem like they care about our opinions. So...I'm excited and can't wait for this next installment : )

AUS_Twisted
03-26-2015, 05:45 AM
First of all I am excited to see that I am not the only one who loves RCT!! It's also very nice to see that they care about the game just as much as we do, and it really does seem like they care about our opinions. So...I'm excited and can't wait for this next installment : )

If they cared they wouldn't have noobs making so called "reveal trailers", this game has been pretty much killed off before release and the forums show it. There's nothing to talk or post about here anymore, a lot of people got pissed off and moved on.

ExtraCheese
03-26-2015, 06:26 AM
If they cared they wouldn't have noobs making so called "reveal trailers", this game has been pretty much killed off before release and the forums show it. There's nothing to talk or post about here anymore, a lot of people got pissed off and moved on.

I agree with you that Atari / Area 52 should communicate more with us as a community. The game pretty much depends on that now.

sub780lime
03-26-2015, 07:42 PM
So, the first instinct by hearing that a game is far along than expected or initial presented is to be angry. Honestly, this is the best news I have heard about the game. What I have seen seems early alpha, so if we are really still making design decision, awesome. I am very happy with that. I thought the expected releases thrown out there were ridiculously aggressive and now that I know I probably won't see the game until holiday 2015 or later I am actually more excited for the game. Take the time, get it right. Now, might have been smart to tell everyone where the game was before releasing the trailer...unless this was truly what was planned for release and after such a backlash, you decided to start over. If that happened, I am happy it did, but couldn't imagine anyone on the team viewing the trailer and thinking it acceptable in 2015.

CoasterKing84
03-27-2015, 07:26 PM
loops built at a 45 degree angle, live streams on certain projects, actual communication, devs answering real questions, and weekly updates, coaster node mode, and unity 5. I hate to say it Atari/Area52 but I think parkitect just might be reviewing the blogs here and utilizing our ideas thus taking all the scorned rct fans away. Everything we complain about here shows up in their next blog with physical proof. I still have hope but I like the treatment over there. im still optimistic for rctw! please wake up and communicate because the community is dying off!

EuroMaster2008
03-28-2015, 07:46 AM
We could have been positive IF ATARI told us this Info back in September and not now! Now the point is, that the game had should been released but like we all see there is NO GAME! So we are at the beginning an NO now we are not positive about this game because this game was a LIE in first place!

labadabadingdong
03-28-2015, 02:38 PM
This is going to be the worst game of 2017(more likely release date).
Why is it so hard to make a 1:1 copy of RCT2 or RCT3 with Next-Gen Graphics???? Pipeworks' work looked 30xtimes better!
Dont make this cartoonist style PLEASE! Make it as realistic as possible so that it's possible to create our REAL park of our dreams.
Graphics like NoLimits2 and B&M real RollerCoasters. WE DONT WANT THIS CARTOONISH UNREAL COASTERS. So hard to understand?
Online features just to share the custom RollerCoasters and to download parks from friends with worldwide popularity ranking is enough. Please don't make the same mistakes as EA with SimCity!!!!!

OTR24
03-28-2015, 06:20 PM
I love Naughty Dog's approach to game development. They always deliver high quality games and give an in depth behind the scenes look at new games they're working on. They release whole movies dedicated to behind the scenes look at their development process. Really impressive. A video blog would be great right now just to give the fans a way to see the team working on the game and see them making progress.

RCTW1
03-28-2015, 09:37 PM
We could have been positive IF ATARI told us this Info back in September and not now! Now the point is, that the game had should been released but like we all see there is NO GAME! So we are at the beginning an NO now we are not positive about this game because this game was a LIE in first place!

Communications got worse when Atari chose Area 52. Things were somewhat going okay with Pipeworks, but then a lot of non game media was showing up, so Atari went with Area 52. The only thing that I think Area 52 did, was to get rid of the extra theming on the square building.
While Pipeworks stuff looked good, it seemed heavily themed, which was a turn off for many.

CoasterNazi666
03-29-2015, 10:00 AM
This sucks, why never any updates that are meaningful, I've forced myself to keep checking the forums all the time just waiting for news and there never is! It really sucks

k1ng r4t
03-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Maybe don't force yourself to check the forums all the time? If you must just look at the home page once a day, ignore the forums, nothing new here until B6 rolls around.

Sir Isaac
03-29-2015, 07:12 PM
I hope they might have something to show at E3 in June. I'd like to see something from Area 52 being that RCTW seems to be their first game.

CoasterKing84
03-29-2015, 08:37 PM
This game is dead

CoasterNazi666
03-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Maybe don't force yourself to check the forums all the time? If you must just look at the home page once a day, ignore the forums, nothing new here until B6 rolls around.

Ummmmm same

0BobTheJanitor
03-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Ummmmm same

But you're here right now

CoasterNazi666
03-30-2015, 04:21 PM
But you're here right now

Ok then...

Knobs
03-31-2015, 03:30 AM
The forum is becoming an empty desert.

CoasterNazi666
03-31-2015, 10:53 AM
The forum is becoming an empty desert.

It already is as far as I can tell, when he next blog post is released it will be lively again for about 2 days then go quiet again cause no one will be answering us

ExtraCheese
03-31-2015, 11:49 AM
It already is as far as I can tell, when he next blog post is released it will be lively again for about 2 days then go quiet again cause no one will be answering us

Yup exactly... posting a blog and only reacting to comments for the hour or so after is not nearly enough. We need constant communication from atari / area 52, discussing things with us.

CoasterNazi666
03-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Yup exactly... posting a blog and only reacting to comments for the hour or so after is not nearly enough. We need constant communication from atari / area 52, discussing things with us.

Tell me about it! We got Mattlab answering us for about 40 mins without a blog post and all he really did was confirm that picture, thatnwe sorta already knew was real xD he didn't specify at what point the game looked like that though...

The Stig
03-31-2015, 01:32 PM

How can Atari know so little about the game they're making? Even if the game is in pre-early stages, we were supposed to get a blog covering the coaster-building system a month ago. Leaving everyone in silence isn't having a positive effect. Someone up there isn't doing their job.

Sir Isaac
03-31-2015, 02:01 PM
I'd like to at least see some more concept art. I'm sure Area 52 has to have a lot of it.

Mattlab
03-31-2015, 03:46 PM
I'd like to at least see some more concept art. I'm sure Area 52 has to have a lot of it.

Concept art of the new realism pass we are doing with the art, etc is what we hope to be sharing next.

ExtraCheese
03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Concept art of the new realism pass we are doing with the art, etc is what we hope to be sharing next.

Cool! When is next? :)

The Stig
03-31-2015, 04:31 PM

I'll be looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing, Mattlab.
I admire your ability to stay so positive through these hard times. I can't begin to imagine the things you know that we don't yet.

Paul_Boland
03-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mattlab, looking forward to seeing it.

lautpiano
03-31-2015, 05:36 PM
As the old German proverb goes: Make nails with heads.
Please fulfill what you promise and show some substance.

Sir Isaac
03-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Sweet. Look forward to it.

Knobs
04-01-2015, 03:53 AM
Awesome ! Thanks for the update ! Love to see more realism in the main art.

ddrplaya4638
04-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I don't think any of us wanna see concept art. We want to see real in game videos displaying what direction you want to take this. Show us a beautiful wing rider coaster and how it's built and we would be happy.

Dr. Gucci
04-01-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm glad that Atari takes this game seriously. I was deeply shocked by the fact that the game looks too similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 according to the trailer. I'm getting confidence again after the dev team explained us that they are going to take a different approach. Luckily there is no strict deadline on the team, so they can improve the game as much as they want.

I hope that the dev team will also look at all the suggestions being made over the past years. The communication throughout these blogs and forum posts are great, so I think that we together can turn Rollercoaster Tycoon World into a wonderful game.

RandomMrBrick
04-01-2015, 10:37 AM
The communication throughout these blogs and forum posts are great, so I think that we together can turn Rollercoaster Tycoon World into a wonderful game.

Then you obviously haven't been here long. We get put in the dark for weeks sometimes.

MattZ
04-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Area 52 website has been taken down....something isn't right

Steelbound
04-01-2015, 01:04 PM
lets hope they fused with ATARI and are now part of ATARI

DMB1985
04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't think any of us wanna see concept art. We want to see real in game videos displaying what direction you want to take this. Show us a beautiful wing rider coaster and how it's built and we would be happy.

I wonder if that could be another sign that Area 52 are no longer on board and the game is going back to the drawing board. They should be well past the concept art stage by now.

intoxination
04-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Area 52 website has been taken down....something isn't right

It's interesting. area52games.com is live, and going to a single construction page with one of their logos, but is a basic godaddy landing page. www.area52games.com points to another server that is offline. So they apparently always had two different sites, www. and without www, but never had the DNS records set right so that it forces to one of the other (bad SEO!). The fact that they now have no web presences, especially for such a new company, really doesn't sit well. Their site was a Drupal site, so it's not like getting it hosted is complicated or even that expensive, especially given the fact that it was a very simple Drupal site (in terms of functionality).

ExtraCheese
04-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Well I must say that Mattlab has actively joined the forum for the past days, responding in threads and reacted on suggestions.
All I can say is; Well done Mattlab! You guys are not nearly there yet when it comes to communicating, but I would really love to see you and other people from the dev team communicating with us on a regular basis.

BigDaddy
04-02-2015, 12:15 PM
active? I see three post in last 2 weeks. How is that active. To be fair it looks like this whole project is a bust. If it comes out by 2017 I would be surprised, if it is actually good, I would be incredibly surprised.
Failed software projects happen all the time, this one just looks to be one playing out a little more publicly then most.

ExtraCheese
04-02-2015, 01:07 PM
active? I see three post in last 2 weeks. How is that active. To be fair it looks like this whole project is a bust. If it comes out by 2017 I would be surprised, if it is actually good, I would be incredibly surprised.
Failed software projects happen all the time, this one just looks to be one playing out a little more publicly then most.

You haven't been paying attention in recent threads then.

CoasterNazi666
04-02-2015, 01:44 PM
You haven't been paying attention in recent threads then.

he has a point eventhough he was "active" it still wasn't enough tokeep people wanting to come back and be interested

ExtraCheese
04-02-2015, 07:19 PM
he has a point eventhough he was "active" it still wasn't enough tokeep people wanting to come back and be interested

Yes you are very right about that. However, I welcome any improvement to the current situation with open arms.

CoasterNazi666
04-03-2015, 04:31 AM
Yes you are very right about that. However, I welcome any improvement to the current situation with open arms.

Same here bud but once again we haven't had any communication in nearly a week so I doubt any improvements will occur until the game
Is at a more polished stage..

koekeritis
04-03-2015, 04:55 AM
Same here bud but once again we haven't had any communication in nearly a week so I doubt any improvements will occur until the game
Is at a more polished stage..

Nearly a week? Tale a look at mattlab's profile. https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/member.php?8-Mattlab
He has been communicating and asking questions about how to implement lines/qeueu's

CoasterNazi666
04-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Nearly a week? Tale a look at mattlab's profile. https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/member.php?8-Mattlab
He has been communicating and asking questions about how to implement lines/qeueu's

Yes I apologize for that mistake after posting I read what had been said

ExtraCheese
04-10-2015, 03:35 AM
Wow, keep up the great work!

I don't think you have been paying any attention here lately... This game might never be released, seeing how 'professional' the developer is. Their website has been offline for two weeks now, LinkedIn only shows 5 employees (a month ago it was 10) and there is ZERO communication from their part. That and the abysmal gameplay trailer makes me lose hope very fast for this game, unless we get some regular updates from both Mattlab and Area52.

Knobs
04-10-2015, 04:50 AM
The game is back in the oven. Wich is good. Have patience! Updates will follow.

BigDaddy
04-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Who's oven? Atari is a publisher not a developer.

k1ng r4t
04-10-2015, 11:40 PM
So what kitchen accessory would be used with publishers if not the oven?

BigDaddy
04-11-2015, 11:39 AM
publishers dont have kitchens. They dont cook anything, they order out.