PDA

View Full Version : Atari vs. Tempest 2000 developer

Future RCT
03-18-2015, 10:28 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/2zhoh0/atari_publisher_of_rctw_and_rct3_tells_tempest/

darkhorizon
03-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Wow.

Gotta love Atari.

I'm speechless. Interested to hear what others have to say, though.

P.S. I hope this doesn't get moved to Community Chat, that forum is dead (mainly because it's at the very bottom of the webpage and no one sees it). I'd like to see an active discussion of this.

darkhorizon
03-18-2015, 10:43 PM
I'd like to add, though, that when companies start bullying via legal action, especially when their targets are individual people and don't have nearly as much resources as that company (in this case Atari is targeting an indie developer), it's a for sure sign that they are going down the toilet financially and their demise is quickly creeping up on them.

That added with the negative press thus far for RCTW isn't helping their case.

I hope they don't try and pull this crap with Frontier and Coaster Park Tycoon, and/or Parkitect...

Then again, there's always two sides to every story...

k1ng r4t
03-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Interesting, I'm curious to see where this goes. Could be a landmark case in gaming, especially if it garners enough attention.

Though like dark said, there are two sides to each story. Most likely this is the big guy keeping down the little guy, but I won't pass judgement till more details come out.

Nupol
03-19-2015, 01:52 AM
Oh Atari... You are becoming more and more unlikable.

syfy2k4
03-19-2015, 01:59 AM
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/239152/Jeff_Minter_reportedly_engaged_in_legal_fight_with _Atari_over_TxK.php

Llamasoft founder Jeff Minter has publicly accused Atari of acting as a "copyright troll" and threatening him with legal action in an effort to stop him from selling his Tempest-esque PlayStation Vita game TxK, porting it to new platforms or ever making another Tempest-esque game again.

This is notable because Minter is himself a former Atari employee with a history of making Tempest-esque games that stretches back to his work programming Tempest 2000 for Atari's Jaguar console in 1994.

In a public blog post, a copy of which was published to Pastebin after his website went offline due to heavy traffic, Minter claims Atari later intentionally modified a ported version of Tempest 2000 just enough to ensure he wouldn't receive royalties.

Now, years later, he claims the company is threatening him with legal action over perceived similarities between his work and Tempest 2000.

"They are still trying to insist that I remove from sale Vita TxK (even though it's plainly at the end of its run now and only brings in a trickle these days) and sign papers basically saying I can never make a Tempest style game ever again," wrote Minter. "So no chance of releasing the ports."

He offers further details on some of the alleged legal threats Atari has made against him and Llamasoft in the blog post, which was published after Minter took to Twitter to accuse Atari of acting like a copyright troll and demanding that (among other things) he turn over his source code.

Update: Atari representatives responded to Gamasutra's request for comment with the following statement:

Atari values and protects its intellectual property and expects others to respect its copyrights and trademarks. When Llamasoft launched TxK in early 2014, Atari was surprised and dismayed by the very close similarities between TxK and the Tempest franchise. Atari was not alone in noticing the incredible likeness between the titles. Several major gaming outlets also remarked at the similarity of features and overall appearance of TxK to Tempest; one stated of TxK, “This is essentially Tempest.” There is no lawsuit. Atari has been in continuous contact with the developer since the game launched in hopes that the matter would be resolved.

As evidence, Atari specifically pointed to reviews of TxK published on IGN and Gamespot last year which refer to it as Minter's "spirtual successor" to Tempest 2000 and "Tempest in spirit."

tycoon
03-19-2015, 02:55 AM
Oh Atari... You are becoming more and more unlikable.

agree with this.

Chazzagm93
03-19-2015, 04:02 AM
How can they sue Frontier for coaster park tycoon there two different games, and I would imagine they will look completely different each with there own unique stuff.

down86
03-19-2015, 04:59 AM
Update: Atari representatives responded to Gamasutra's request for comment with the following statement:

Atari values and protects its intellectual property and expects others to respect its copyrights and trademarks. When Llamasoft launched TxK in early 2014, Atari was surprised and dismayed by the very close similarities between TxK and the Tempest franchise. Atari was not alone in noticing the incredible likeness between the titles. Several major gaming outlets also remarked at the similarity of features and overall appearance of TxK to Tempest; one stated of TxK, “This is essentially Tempest.” There is no lawsuit. Atari has been in continuous contact with the developer since the game launched in hopes that the matter would be resolved.

As evidence, Atari specifically pointed to reviews of TxK published on IGN and Gamespot last year which refer to it as Minter's "spirtual successor" to Tempest 2000 and "Tempest in spirit."

If you read this you will see that this is something that hs been going on before even an announcement of RTCW. It has nothing to do with Atari being the big bad wolf or anything. If you have a game that allmost plays/looks and feels the same as it was before the chance is big you can get a copyright sue.

Frontier with CPT or Texel Raptor's Theme Parkitect dont have to worry about Atari Sueing them. Both games are different with some ideas taken from the RTC concept. You may use the concept but copying the concept is something different.

DMB1985
03-19-2015, 06:33 AM
If you read this you will see that this is something that hs been going on before even an announcement of RTCW. It has nothing to do with Atari being the big bad wolf or anything. If you have a game that allmost plays/looks and feels the same as it was before the chance is big you can get a copyright sue.

Frontier with CPT or Texel Raptor's Theme Parkitect dont have to worry about Atari Sueing them. Both games are different with some ideas taken from the RTC concept. You may use the concept but copying the concept is something different.

If Atari had a case they would be suing Jeff Minter. The fact that they aren't is probably a strong indication that they know they wouldn't win. Sadly these bully boy tactics from much bigger companies aren't that uncommon across many industries. The bigger company knows that with just the threat of legal action will deter the smaller guy from fighting as they can't afford the legal fees and the long drawn out case that this would likely be.

Angel
03-19-2015, 06:39 AM
Atari inspires me to invent new English:

pathetic, patheticer, patheticest

darkhorizon
03-19-2015, 11:25 AM
How can they sue Frontier for coaster park tycoon there two different games, and I would imagine they will look completely different each with there own unique stuff.

I doubt they will. But considering Frontier was the previous developer for RCT, and now they are working on their own coaster tycoon game...if RCTW fails and Coaster Park Tycoon is a huge success, Atari may just be sour enough...not that they would have a case, but you never know.

Parkitect to an even lesser extent, but again, Atari could be "surprised and dismayed by the very close similarities" between Parkitect and the RCT1-2 franchise.

I love Parkitect and have been closely following its development for a while now, but let's be honest: Parkitect does take many, many cues from RCT1 and 2. I doubt Atari will go there, but you never know.

And from I read (I never played Tempest 2000 nor TxK), Minter didn't copy Tempest 2000...sure, he borrowed the concept (his own concept, mind you), but noted that the similarity ended there. From what he says, Atari is picking at straws claiming that allowing the player ship to jump was copied, saying the name "TxK" is too similar to "Tempest", and the soundtracks are the same (even though they are different?). Atari doesn't really have a copyright case here, and as DMB pointed out: if they did this would be in court already. Right now they are just being a bully and hoping that either A) Minter just does what they say and take the game off Vita or B) they do pursue legal action, but Minter will be drowned in legal bills before they even step inside the courtroom so Minter will just back down anyway.

I don't know. Who knows at this point. Just sit back and see what happens I guess.

sourcerage17
03-19-2015, 12:18 PM
And what does this have to do with rct?