PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Blog Post / News - Where is Production Blog #5?

Mattlab
03-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Dear RCTW Fans,

As mentioned earlier I am working on a blog post to talk about the trailer we released that was filmed using a pre-alpha version of the game and address your questions about it and the game. Unfortunately, the team has been beyond busy working on the game and although I wanted to get the post out this week, I haven’t been able to get to it…! That said, we will address your comments about the pre-alpha trailer, recent progress with the game, the engine, and the art in the game ASAP. We want to open the doors of communication to the project as quickly as possible but also want to make sure what we say is what we can stand behind.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mattlab

BigDaddy
03-13-2015, 04:05 PM
It's really not as hard as your making it to simply talk to your fans and potential customers. You're making a game, not designing and building a space station. How hard is it to say, listen that really was a poor chosen trailer, it was pre alpha, here instead are some nice screenshots from our current build? It takes all of 3o minutes to do something like that.

WadyC
03-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Sigh, hopefully this is better than the trailer...

Mattlab
03-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Quite simply, I know fans want answers but I also need to make sure we can stand behind what we promise before posting. We have been reading the feedback and are addressing it so that this is the game we all want to play.

The Stig
03-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Quite simply, I know fans want answers but I also need to make sure we can stand behind what we promise before posting. We have been reading the feedback and are addressing it so that this is the game we all want to play.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/ENagATV1Gr9eg/giphy.gif

ctc1993
03-13-2015, 04:09 PM
With respect not sure that sufficient. People confidence in the franchise and the ability of the current custodians holding the RCT torch been left damaged to put it mildly. The number one priority should have been to fire fight and attempt to address the issues head on. Frankly what is the point working on other tasks whilst the entire project credibility lies in tatters....

BigDaddy
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Your fan base isnt kids, simply say " This is what we are current planning, but of course things do and may change over the course of development".. You act as if we are in some a court of law, or that this forum is some sort of legally binding document...

Just engage us and show some real screenshots, loosen up, open up to us and realize... we are on your side. Just because we are currently booing you, doesnt mean we dont want you to win.

Having a conversation with your fans and customers isnt as hard as you seem to think it is.

Mattlab
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
With respect not sure that sufficient. People confidence in the franchise and the ability of the current custodians holding the RCT torch been left damaged to put it mildly. The number one priority should have been to fire fight and attempt to address the issues head on. Frankly what is the point working on other tasks whilst the entire project credibility lies in tatters....

To restore credibility I have had to work on other tasks ;) see post above. We have been very busy doing that and as soon as I can we will post the details.

towerslover
03-13-2015, 04:11 PM
So today, FRIDAY is our EARLY week explanation of the worst game play video ever and its even WORSE than the video.

Thanks Matt but honestly, im done, I'll revisit if this game ever gets out but only then will I decide if I weant to buy it.

1/10 sorry.

darkhorizon
03-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Sigh.

I don't even have the energy to be annoyed, so all I have to say is this: hopefully the grid is specific only to the alpha version of the game, because I think I speak for most of us when I say the grid is too limiting, and to have free placement and rotation of objects (aka a smaller grid) would be much appreciated. This feature, besides more flexible coaster building, has been the most requested. So if you're listening to the fans...

That also means curved paths.

Thanks!

LoneWolf
03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
^ The game still needs a grid. A smaller one would be best solution. I just really want quarter sized Queue lines instead of Full tile ones :rolleyes:

I think the real issue is that as a community we feel as though we are shouting at a brick wall. Its just frustrating from our perspective. Its good to see that its being addressed. I certainly hope for better things to come.

Mattlab
03-13-2015, 04:16 PM
I think the real issue is that as a community we feel as though we are shouting at a brick wall. Its just frustrating from our perspective. Its good to see that its being addressed. I certainly hope for better things to come.

Believe me I am just as frustrated and this is why I am not putting a date on posting and offering an explanation for why its not here today. That said we are addressing your feedback, it was a pre-alpha trailer, and we are making sure that the final end product is what people want/expect.

The Stig
03-13-2015, 04:17 PM
To restore credibility I have had to work on other tasks ;) see post above. We have been very busy doing that and as soon as I can we will post the details.

I'm glad to hear you haven't called it quits.
By all means, take all the time you need. The die-hard fans have already waited this long....

ctc1993
03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
It's really not as hard as your making it to simply talk to your fans and potential customers. You're making a game, not designing and building a space station. How hard is it to say, listen that really was a poor chosen trailer, it was pre alpha, here instead are some nice screenshots from our current build? It takes all of 3o minutes to do something like that.

Exactly. The lack of genuine interaction incredibly frustrating. Passive phraseology might appease a percentage but actions speak louder than words.

coaster6
03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm just too tired to get my thoughts straight, but we were expecting a blog post last week. While I'm flattered you answered us, I feel even more upset than before. I was so happy when I saw 9 in the box next to announcement. And all you're telling us is well be waiting another week. Or longer..

With Sadness

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 04:22 PM
I understand you want to make sure what you say is true but why not at least get out the info that you did confirm until you can confirm the rest. Give us something.

coaster6
03-13-2015, 04:24 PM
I understand you want to make sure what you say is true but why not at least get out the info that you did confirm until you can confirm the rest. Give us something. yes! Just anything would calm the crowd

zanemathias
03-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Hey Matt, Totally agree!! I prefer hard facts, I actually respect that! If you were to give us info just to give it and it was wrong the threads would more then likely worse then yesterday lol. Take your time and thank you for the update!

Bionic
03-13-2015, 04:26 PM
When every other game developer/publisher releases pre-alpha footage, they make sure as hell everybody knows it is pre-alpha footage before running the video. I'm still not convinced you guys have anything better. Calling it pre-alpha after the fact is just damage control. Show us a video of what you have now. It's not hard to do a screen recording of the amazing game you seem to have been playing for the previous dev blogs. And no, screenshots are not going to convince me. They can be edited in post production way to easily.

Brad210
03-13-2015, 04:27 PM
You cannot be serious. Honestly the big GDC week, the upcoming post to resolve issues with the teaser, and now you're on here telling us a blog post will come, but you've no idea when.....

You have no game. Just cancel it already. At this point, creating a couple 100 word blog and a half decent in game footage video should be straight forward. The fact you're still playing for time sums up everything.

So poor it's beyond words

VACkillers
03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Well this is beyond crappy to be honest.... waiting all bloody week for what? an explanation that doesn't explain anything and we'll get the dev blog... ermmm.. whenever? very nice.... -thumbs up-

coaster6
You cannot be serious. Honestly the big GDC week, the upcoming post to resolve issues with the teaser, and now your on here telling us a blog post will come, but you've no idea when.....

You have no game. Just cancel it already. At this point, creating a couple 100 word blog and a half decent in game footage video should be straight forward. The fact you're still playing for time sums up everything. no don't cancel it, but it's ridiculous. Any I'm aware it's not Mattlab's fault it's just I went from being so excited to let down

killahboo
Dear RCTW Fans,

As mentioned earlier I am working on a blog post to talk about the trailer we released that was filmed using a pre-alpha version of the game and address your questions about it and the game. Unfortunately, the team has been beyond busy working on the game and although I wanted to get the post out this week, I haven’t been able to get to it…! That said, we will address your comments about the pre-alpha trailer, recent progress with the game, the engine, and the art in the game ASAP. We want to open the doors of communication to the project as quickly as possible but also want to make sure what we say is what we can stand behind.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mattlab

Basically, the game in it's current state is so crap we can't show you anything yet because it would just make things worse.

Even though the trailer used pre-alpha footage it still represents the current mechanics of the game.

If the game had improved since the trailer it would only take a few minutes to create an updated trailer and put all this negativity to rest.

If the game is so bad you could start from scratch or try your best to sell the game in it's current format before the competing games come out. If the game is going to be worthy of the RCT name then I can't see any way in which the game will be released in 2015. 2016 could be too late if the other games are finished by then.

coaster6
03-13-2015, 04:30 PM
I warned you Mattlab. The fallout would be dangerous. Here it is.

The Stig
yes! Just anything would calm the crowd

Read Matt's first two posts.
Changes are being made. So many changes, in fact, that the team is very busy. <-- This is a good thing.
Changes to what, exactly? We don't know yet.... That's what devblog 5 will be.
Instead of coaster building (which is what devblog5 was originally going to be) Devblog5 will now discuss comments about the pre-alpha trailer, recent progress with the game, the engine, and the art in the game. <-- This will be good, too (when it happens)

I think this was the most informative announcement we've seen in weeks.
In fact, I feel a little better already.

Brad210
The only people I half feel bad for is the development team, who took this on and are now no doubt working round the clock to give Atari something near the quality and expectations of a AAA game. It's just not going to happen.

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Basically, the game in it's current state is so crap we can't show you anything yet because it would just make things worse.

Even though the trailer used pre-alpha footage it still represents the current mechanics of the game.

If the game had improved since the trailer it would only take a few minutes to create an updated trailer and put all this negativity to rest.

If the game is so bad you could start from scratch or try your best to sell the game in it's current format before the competing games come out. If the game is going to be worthy of the RCT name then I can't see any way in which the game will be released in 2015. 2016 could be too late if the other games are finished by then.

Probably the truth unfortunately.

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 04:32 PM
The only people I half feel bad for is the development team, who took this on and are now no doubt working round the clock to give Atari something near the quality and expectations of a AAA game. It's just not going to happen.

Thats what happens when you pick a company to work on an established franchise that has never finished a game..

coaster6
03-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Read Matt's first two posts.
Changes are being made. So many changes, in fact, that the team is very busy. <-- This is a good thing.
Changes to what, exactly? We don't know yet.... That's what devblog 5 will be.
Instead of coaster building (which is what devblog5 was originally going to be) Devblog5 will now discuss comments about the pre-alpha trailer, recent progress with the game, the engine, and the art in the game. <-- This will be good, too (when it happens)

I think this was the most informative announcement we've seen in weeks.
In fact, I feel a little better already.well if you're ok with accepting that. I mean, it's the 3 week anniversary of a blog post.

Brad210
03-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Thats what happens when you pick a company to work on an established franchise that has never finished a game..

Absolutely agree. This is all playing for time. To think just two weeks ago we were getting a GDC update, that Matt was so busy with, the game is in a piss poor state, Matts playing for time. The release date is likely un-achievable.

Kombiice

hey mattlab !! is there coming a newer trailer ?? and when do you think comes the blog post ca. (this or next week)

down86
I think Mattlab does not have a good thing to show us yet. Area 52 is not responding well enough to Atari so they are left in the middle. For us its hard to get it because we were being feeded with some nice looking screenshots and some blogs that were over excided. Wich gave us a very good inpression of what the game would be.

After the trailer Mattlab's blogs were thrown down the pit and he was out of words. Even after de promise of the early this week he got nothing. If I would promise that to someone and I could not make it right I would get frustrated as well. And getting on the forums and seeing many hopefull ppl would not work very well either for that. I would not want to stand in Mattlab's shoes right now for this job. ^^

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Absolutely agree. This is all playing for time. To think just two weeks ago we were getting a GDC update, that Matt was so busy with, the game is in a piss poor state, Matts playing for time. The release date is likely un-achievable.

Yea hes just trying to stall for time as they are figuring things out, I think they thought people would like the trailer.

TheCoasterGOd3
03-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Dear RCTW Fans,

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mattlab

Good post, but may I make a suggestion...
Have you thought of having more than just 1 Atari Administrator? It would make communication go faster and it would make things here a lot smoother.

MR.sugar
03-13-2015, 04:39 PM
hey mattlab !! is there coming a newer trailer ?? and when do you think comes the blog post ca. (this or next week)

Can you at least read whole post? This was rly worth the wait btw... If they have nothing to show, then it means the pre-alpha shown in the trailer represents more-less current state of the game...

darkhorizon
03-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Good post, but may I make a suggestion...
Have you thought of having more than just 1 Atari Administrator? It would make communication go faster and it would make things here a lot smoother.

Good idea, and that raises another question that I think everyone is curious about: where is Dre_Roberts? He is (or, was?) our community manager, right?

Is Area 52 still affiliated with the game? There was no mention of them on that, erm, 'trailer'.

Cam135
03-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Hey Mattlab thanks for the update. Glad to see this project hasn't died, looking forward to the next post. Keep up the hard work!!!:D

The Stig
03-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Is Area 52 still affiliated with the game? There was no mention of them on that, erm, 'trailer'.

Their logo is still at the bottom of the page.

eelkie
03-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Dear Mattlab,
I know these are hard times but atari has to show or explain a few things to the community/fan base. Don't lie to us if you do not know when the Dev blogs will be posted. Don't wait too long to explain or nobody will take you and atari serious anymore. This is not the publicity rtcw or atari needs at this moment.

So come on with a normal blog and explain why the trailer was so ****ty.

Thanks and kind regards

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Dear Mattlab,
I know these are hard times but atari has to show or explain a few things to the community/fan base. Don't lie to us if you do not know when the Dev blogs will be posted. Don't wait too long to explain or nobody will take you and atari serious anymore. This is not the publicity rtcw or atari needs at this moment.

Thanks and kind regards

AT least talk about the coasters like you were going to before GDC.

bluebynight
03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Ill be honest guys, that pre-Alpha trailer IS basically the game we have. There is nothing that points to it NOT being the current game. Unless it was a HORRID marketing decision, I cant see a reason why they would release that trailer without atleast obviously stating it was a pre-alpha build. This trailer was the gist of the current game. I strongly believe they didnt expect the publics reaction to be so negative. After such overwhelming flak, they may polish a few things here and there. Ultimately, however, that trailer is damn near close to what this game will be ill bet.

Blog post 5 announcement is definitely a CYA move. They must be simply buying time at this point.

There is a reason the communication is so terrible...its not Mattlab's fault entirely. Weather it be lack of improvement from the DEV team, or simply that our questions have no positive answer's. THERE IS A REASON.....

Asgaurd
03-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Same here sorry mattlab if you could off, or would off , given a explanation or even responded to your player base, i would have been patient and understood you had technical problems, but to leave us all hanging this long is just wrong sorry im done, i will invest my time and money in something else.

VACkillers
03-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Dear Mattlab,

Thanks and kind regards

he already did... it was taken from pre-alpha... although other games that are shown from pre-alpha have never looked quite that bad, but the real question is if that is the current state of the game or not.... that needs to be quite clear and quite frankly Mattlab is beating around the bush on the whole situation, deflecting the issues at hand, he may not know ALL the information, but he sure knows that one little piece of info...

if it is the current state of the game then we know just how far off the game is... a 2016 release date... if its several several builds behind current build then that is very good news... its not hard to just say that but its deflect deflect deflect... which leads me to believe that it might actually be current state of the game and have been hard at work trying to produce something not only more accurate to their vision of the visuals, but making the game in a much more presentable state..... which is sorta starting to sound like that.... which is very bad news...

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 04:57 PM
I personally think that Area 52 needs to be fired.

we don't want this to become a duke nukem where the game has switched so many hands that the end product is absolute crap.

k1ng r4t
03-13-2015, 04:59 PM
You guys, do you not realize what you're saying?!?! NOW most of you are clamoring that he gives you info that may or may not be in the final product?!. WHAT?!?! That's what they've been doing the past few months and everyone is pissed about how much they "lied!" Even though they never promised anything! I even made a thread on it!! How can you ask for more of the same of what's made you so angry already?! I'm baffled! This is unbelievable!

MATT HAS given passive info!! Just in the past week he confirmed the screen shots were real, the beta is happening, the trailer is pre alpha, the dev blog is coming, and apologized for the lack of communication...how is that not exactly what you're asking for in this very thread now, that's made you so upset in the past? Please clarify this for me.

Matt, this sounds great, I can't wait to read it. Deal with the fat cats and we'll be here when you're ready. Thank you for all the feedback you've given us!

jackk
03-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Did you attend GDC? If so, what went down there? You weren't even listed as attending so not sure why I'm asking this. Also, why can't you be honest? Why can't you say what happend with the trailer? Your messy way of marketing and communicating is affecting your game, did you just finish your college degree or something? You seem unprofessional when it comes to these things. An unpredictable EP not knowing what's going on with his own game is just a mess! This update is a joke. Putting it into the announce section is not going to steer us away from the fact there isn't a real announcment yet. Just seriously, for the sake of this game and your future pay cheques, give US SOMETHING WORTH READING!!!! We are absolutely sick of waiting around for an update! We all plan on investing into this game and making sure we promote it for you when it's realeased ( I have a following of 10k on facebook) its just so pathetic how you treat us like little children. Cancel the game or communicate regularly and honestly. You may not have a game right now, but post at least what plans you guys have!!

Brad210
03-13-2015, 05:03 PM
You guys, do you not realize what you're saying?!?! NOW most of you are clamoring that he gives you info that may or may not be in the final product?!. WHAT?!?! That's what they've been doing the past few months and everyone is pissed about how much they "lied!" Even though they never promised anything! I even made a thread on it!! How can you ask for more of the same of what's made you so angry already?! I'm baffled! This is unbelievable!

MATT HAS given passive info!! Just in the past week he confirmed the screen shots were real, the beta is happening, the trailer is pre alpha, the dev blog is coming, and apologized for the lack of communication...how is that not exactly what you're asking for in this very thread now, that's made you so upset in the past? Please clarify this for me.

Matt, this sounds great, I can't wait to read it. Deal with the fat cats and we'll be here when you're ready. Thank you for all the feedback you've given us!

Are you delusional? The fact is, Matt is incompetent, and if he is representative of the rest of Atari, and Area52, then no amount of your enthusiasm is going to make this game great.

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 05:03 PM

All that info was things he had said in the past. No new info at all except that the trailer was pre alpha but I really don't think thats true.

The Stig
03-13-2015, 05:04 PM

Thank you.
I'm surprised there are still way too many peeps here that just.... aren't.... "getting it"

RCTW1
03-13-2015, 05:04 PM
we don't want this to become a duke nukem where the game has switched so many hands that the end product is absolute crap. I agree, but Atari is already in deep trouble.

jackk
03-13-2015, 05:05 PM

the fact that your praising him when he is likely to give you a half assed money snatching game is laughable. Don't be so nieve because Matt has no idea what's going on with this game, which is unprofessional and likely to result in a crap game.

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 05:06 PM
I agree, but Atari is already in deep trouble.

True I can agree Atari shouldn't have picked Area 52 in the first place.

bluebynight
OH NO....Duke Nukem Forever. Many nights I have awoken in a cold sweat after nightmares of the horror that is that game....
This whole RCTW issue right now actually brings back the disturbing memories of what happened to Duke Nukem Forever. Pray were wrong. Pray to whatever God you believe in....pray.

k1ng r4t
All that info was things he had said in the past. No new info at all except that the trailer was pre alpha but I really don't think thats true.

Please show me where he said any of that. Please. And do NOT give me a post from 2+ weeks ago that may have suggested something, but everyone then accused them of lying.

coaster6
03-13-2015, 05:08 PM

Matt, this sounds great, I can't wait to read it. Deal with the fat cats and we'll be here when you're ready. Thank you for all the feedback you've given us!ok. We got a post. At least we know he's alive. So, if you're telling me that you don't mind that Mattlab told us that we could expect a blog last week. To me, and others, this info is already known. Not confirmed, but known. It's betong me if you're accoeting of this.

And I'm saying it's not personal that in disagreeing with you, because other people in this thread are doing that. It's just my opinion.

Paul_Boland
03-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Mattlab, thanks for the update. I'm eager to get some real news from you on the project and look forward to that happening, hopefully soon.

k1ng r4t
03-13-2015, 05:11 PM
ok. We got a post. At least we know he's alive. So, if you're telling me that you don't mind that Mattlab told us that we could expect a blog last week. To me, and others, this info is already known. Not confirmed, but known. It's betong me if you're accoeting of this.

And I'm saying it's not personal that in disagreeing with you, because other people in this thread are doing that. It's just my opinion.

We got multiple posts today, yesterday, Tuesday, Sunday, and last Friday, each confirming at least one user's question or clarifying anything that was incorrectly stated. IE the blog not coming early in the week as promised and explicity told he didn't want to promise a date.

RCTW1
03-13-2015, 05:11 PM
True I can agree Atari shouldn't have picked Area 52 in the first place.

I wonder about that too.

Brad210
03-13-2015, 05:12 PM
We got multiple posts today, yesterday, Tuesday, Sunday, and last Friday, each confirming at least one user's question or clarifying anything that was incorrectly stated. IE the blog not coming early in the week as promised and explicity told he didn't want to promise a date.

He said, "the winds are pointing to Wednesday" for the blog post. Guess it must have been just a light breeze. He hasnt really clarified anything either, he keeps churning out vague answers. If he want to be credible. Post in game footage already, he stalling because he doesn't have any.

gannondork14
03-13-2015, 05:17 PM
MATT HAS given passive info!! Just in the past week he confirmed the screen shots were real, <- Only real info given.
the beta is happening,<- Read Blog Post 1 Mattlab even commented the other day that he had previously stated their would be a beta.
the trailer is pre alpha <- New info but not sure this is the truth, why would you put out old footage and not say so first that it was alpha?
the dev blog is coming <- Of course it is.

crick
03-13-2015, 05:30 PM
As many ppl said: One or three screenshots don't take much time, need no proof and is great stuff for waiting until Blogpost#5 comes. But no.. we're only potential customers :-/

cjcollins95
03-13-2015, 05:33 PM
I really hope this game isn't a relapse of that E.T. Extra terrestrial game. I feel as tho the game as it sits right now is pretty much the same thing as we saw in the trailer, and that Area52 is just trying to buy time. But in all honesty I think I speak on behalf of the RCT fans that we are willing to wait for a game that is deserving of the RCT name. A game that evokes the same feeling that we all had when playing the previous games. Honestly I think if you did exactly like Pipe works was doing and actually communicating with the community on what they want and posting screenshots somewhat regularly the community would probably wait 2 - 3 years. This deserving game needs to push the boundaries of whats possible as Mattlab has said "the bar is high and we need to meet it". We are all on your side Atari we all want you to succeed with this game. But come on Area52 you need to give us something. We are all losing faith in you (and fast). Im sure you could spare a few minutes at the end of your work day to respond to an e-mail to re assure the fans of the game you are "beyond busy working on".

Caine
03-13-2015, 05:33 PM
I really hope that you live in different cities (or better countries). You guys could hurt/kill each other right now.

But now back to Topic:
Thanks for updates Matt, I still believe in this game, but there were a few mistakes made and I hope you make it better from now on.
When I look at this community and this negative vibes here I think you have 2 options: Either you could close this forum and post your development blog like you want to, or you have to communicate much better so everyone calms down.

Kambor
03-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Reading that stuff here is really annoying.
I skiped the last pages so maybe i missed something.
I dont know what you are going to do but i will lay back, wait for the post and see what will happen with this game. Why dont you calm down and wait for the next REAL information to discuss about? That would make everything more relaxing.

justinm_
03-13-2015, 05:35 PM
The last 2 pages alone. I dunno, seems like someone wants to make it about me.

You seem to like bringing the discussion back to you. Anyway I agree with you crick, atari and mattlab should be getting us excited for this by releasing regular updates.

Aaronroberts
03-13-2015, 05:37 PM
OK, so I'm not sticking up for him but he probably isn't allowed to talk about things, or may not have the info that he needs to make a blog post. He could be a big fan of the game for all you know and be embarrassed about the trailer.
However, I do think he could have made a blog post anyway explaining that they're taking peoples feedback, and apologising in that about the lack of communication.

I think what people should be doing now is focusing on the things they want in the game, or don't like in the trailer, rather then just giving negative feedback, all I keep seeing is "the graphics are crap, the whole game looks like crap, I have no blog post, where's my blog post!?"
Focus on what would make it a good game.

kensulu
03-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Hey Mattlab thanks for the update. Glad to see this project hasn't died, looking forward to the next post. Keep up the hard work!!!:D

I totally agree with this post. I am looking forward to this game as I totally loved the first 3 series and thought another would never come. Finally one is coming and I hope it is as good as we all hope it is. What also gives me hope is they are reading the posts, listening and improving the game to our wants.

Matt take your time with the update. Get all your ducks in a row. I know Atari is listening to us and adjusting game decisions that will be better for all of us, at least I hope!!

I believe with all the comments and complaints you now have a good sense of what us consumers are looking for in your franchise that you built so carefully so long ago. We just want that franchise game to live up to our expectations which for the most part have been voiced on this forum.

Honestly if you still have to delay the release and even change engines or Area 52 game developers I say do what you have to do to get the game to a level you and the consumer want. Please don't rush it only to patch it 15 times like SimCity has done. If you have that the backlash would just not be repairable. Do it right or don't do it all.

Keep up the good work, only the best take their licks, learn from it and create something far better than even us gamers can imagine.

Knobs
03-13-2015, 05:43 PM
This honestly gives me hope. Thank you for adressing the current state. We all are on your side mattlab, altough some fans are really dissapointed, with a reason. You have in my oppinion one of the hardest tasks ever... Having major pressure from both sides , the atari staff and their hardcore fanbase. And due the fact that the game is far from finished and artists are working superhard after realizing the game needs to be way, way better then what the current state is ;) i think i get it. Just implement everything the fanbase wants , or at least the major notes. That way, peeps will be able to wait and buy the game after all. Most of us are in mid twinties and are treating this new game like our child thats growing up and apperently going trough puberty .We dont want it to go bad , but we want it to be a well grown and educated specimen. I still believe. Make us proud, as im not the only one who is having bad dreams about this one. Mattlab , take care, but please don' t let us out in the cold. Peeps tend to go crazy that way ;) including myself. Make us proud, take the time.

jackk
03-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Why can't he just post this, it's simple:

"Hi guys. Firstly we want to apologize for the lack of communication at the moment. We have seen the response from the trailer we have released, in which we have realized is not acceptable or in any way what we are capable of. We can admit, we got a little lost for a moment there. We will be delaying the game until mid year as we really want to deliver a top notch game to you all. Now that we are working extra hard, we will be delayed in posting updates for the time being, go get some fresh air and play RTC3 for the time being as we won't be as active as we would like to be. We can assure you we will provide some screen-caps, new videos in the future but no specifics on when this will be yet, rest assured the game will be released by "such and such" date.

A post like that would be 10x better and leave me assured something is up. Rather, we are getting pitty excuses to crap we know is a lie and advising us that "A blog is coming by Wednesday"

its not so hard, I spun up that random paragraph in 20 seconds.

Thompso
03-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Hello MattLab, I'm not sure if this question was already answered. Will another updated Trailor be re ll releasd later that shows the "current" state of the game?

k1ng r4t
03-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Go ahead, continue directing your frustration with Atari at me, I don't mind. If I have something to say, I'll say it. Just like the rest of you. If you disagree with me, say something. If I disagree with you and you didn't insult me, I'll respond. If at any point you insult me, I won't respond. Feel free to do the same with me.

It seems anyone is able to discuss stuff here as long as its bashing Atari, A52, and Mattlab. Discuss something else, and you're defensive and making it about you. I like this game.

MattLab, you're awesome. Thanks again for everything. I do hope curved paths are mentioned in dev blog 5 though...

kensulu
Comments good or bad are only going to improve the game. For people who think that anyones opinion of the trailer should not happen is doing the game that we were hoping for no justice at all and will not turn out what we all want to play. With a discussion as this forum provides gives the players a voice to Atari whether or not we like what we see and so forth. Just like a opinion survey will do for a product and product reviews. So it is a good thing that we voice what we like and dislike, wants and so forth. It is the very reason Atari provides this forum for us to voice that opinion. I do hope we get more updates and screen shots so we can continue to provide feedback like Atari has said they will do. And in my opinion they have not done that very well. Hopefully they improve the communication and providing us game play screenshot like the trailer so we can continue to provide feedback. Without that the game will not be what we want to play. Communication good or bad is the only way we all get a good experience and features we want in the game. Please improve upon that and we all will be better for it.

SparkyUK
Thanks for the update, Mattlab. Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated.

syfy2k4
03-13-2015, 06:01 PM
guys, enough of the king rat drama, please. just put him on your ignore list and move on. you will be happier that way.

the issue here is that once again we have been put off, but this time he wisely did not give ANY time reference at all.
that way they can take as long as they want to show us a trailer that will not show us the true state of the game....probably hitting the CS Depot and building some killer creation out of RCT3 that they will then claim is representative of the TRUE state of RCTW right now (JK)

well Mattlab,you have this one last chance to salvage the games, and Atari/Area 52's rep. blow this one and you may as well cancel the whole game. we forgive a lot, but we are not fools.

iChase
03-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Mattlab, you and your team have lost credibility. Posting isn't hard. It isn't an inconvenience to get on the forums and write a quick post like you did here. This thread is at least a week late for no good reason. I appreciate you taking the time to post, but surely you can see the damage your absence has caused to World and the RCT series as a whole. The uproar isn't just focused here. Go to gaming forums, go on Reddit, check out game blogs, wherever you turn you'll see angry fans of the series who are now much more interested in your competitors' products than RCTW.

Talk is cheap. I'll believes it when I sees it.

RCTW1
03-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Mattlab, you and your team have lost credibility. Posting isn't hard. It isn't an inconvenience to get on the forums and write a quick post like you did here. This thread is at least a week late for no good reason. I appreciate you taking the time to post, but surely you can see the damage your absence has caused to World and the RCT series as a whole. the uproar isn't just focused here. Go to gaming forums, go on Reddit, check out game blogs, wherever you turn you'll see angry fans of the series who are now much more interested in your competitors' products than RCTW.

Talk is cheap. I'll believes it when I sees it.

I agree. The little communication is what bothers me the most.

Aqua-Chan
03-13-2015, 06:15 PM
I don't understand... Some of you talk about how bad this game is ,and how you've given up hope on RCTW. But yet some of you seem to keep posting on here, asking for blog 5, saying that your finished dealing with Mattlab and not posting on time. Just leave if you don't like it LEAVE! It's actually not that hard. The fact that my 10 year old little brother is more patient for this game than grown adults is really sad smh.

Angel
03-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Hi Mattlab. Thank you for the post. I'm really looking forward to the next one :).

It saddens me a little to see that some people just won't calm down and still choose to be upset. After all, at some point we said, that giving us anything, even a message that you're busy and can't post anything right now, would be acceptable. Only total silence would not. The problem is, if you spot a smoldering patch, then a simple cup of water will douce that. However, if you wait too long until you have a fire raging out of control, then that simple cup of water won't do you much good. I'd really like for things to calm down, so we can have a pleasant and meaningful forum once more. But it isn't going to happen without your help. Please, don't wait any longer to start meaningful communication with us. As some have said before, it isn't really all that hard. We're on your side!

Knobs
03-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Lets all calm down and ride a gentle ride. Maybe a ferriswheel would calm us down ;) cmon guys, lets stay positive. ;)

PixelPlayer
03-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Dear RCTW Fans,

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mattlab

It is smarter to just take a pause - interact with your fans and then get back to work. If you work all that time and never talk to us or share any information, always delayed.....why should we wait around when you can't for a moment take a break to interact? There is no race to get it done. Get the job done properly or not at all. Your game will fall short if you don't get on the forums and interact. That must come first. Know your market.

You can't get it done properly without interacting with us, many have already left with the amount of times you promise to deliver content and its late or just a wall of text.

Look at cities skyline, showed us so much along the way, changed a lot and replied to our criticisms in the forums, you guys don't do any of it. Your community managers are non existent, your the only person we hear from and you're not exactly on time or considering the fans more important than the games development of which requires our input or it will simply not interest us. Game development is useless if you don't talk to us or actually do what we want in the game.

May i also remind you - Frontier is your rival they will do everything you failed to do here and you won't have any way to compete to that if you don't start realizing fans come BEFORE the game. We don't buy what you think the game should be anymore, this is not 1999. We buy what we want by telling you what we want. But instead deadlines and getting the game done is more important to you guys. But it's not. It could fall well short if you don't stop for a moment and interact with us.

Plus your blogs are a wall of text, so uninspiring and boring.

Tell everyone to stop working, log in on the forums and start talking and listening. You may just yet be able to get the game to the level people will buy. Heck delay it to winter if you have to, GTA delayed over a year, some times the delay will make it more successful because it will be closer to what fans want.

Knobs
03-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Give positive feedback , like curved paths , next gen graphics, smooth realistic coasters with decent supports , like nolimits coaster , waterpools and mountais full of tunnels and slides ;) tell them what you really want, instead of totally destroying this place. Please make room for constructive criticism and use the time we still have left for tweaking the game to our wishes. Otherwise the franchise will die here, mainly due our own fail of keeping it positive. Cmon boys and girls. Act like the adults we are.

CaseyCBeard
03-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Dear RCTW Fans,

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mattlab

Mattlab, thank you for giving us something as opposed to nothing. I do appreciate that. At least we know you're still here and you are just as frustrated as us. A lot of times we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and your hands could just be tied. You're the middle man and unfortunately, you get the brunt of our frustrations.

I would like to ask a few questions:

1) Why would Atari put out a pre-alpha trailer after the screen shots you've shared with us? Did they not think the fans would be outraged (to say the least) by something that looks sub-par? Or, if they did know what they were doing, what was their point in doing so?

2) You said that you want the doors of communication open as quickly as possible, yet the communication hasn't been steady. I understand you can't respond to everything and you also won't please everyone (this is what makes a developers job so difficult). But, I think it would be wise to find the most talked about items from fans and answer those questions. What if 1 day a week was put aside to actually answer those questions? Or 1 day every two weeks? This way you have a period with which to get the post together, but then we also know a time scale and you won't have to hear the "he said this day, but it isn't happening" or the "they never communicate with the fans."

3) Are you the only person on this project who can communicate with us?

Personally, I want to thank you again for actually responding. It may not be what we wanted to hear, but it is at least something. I was afraid after that pre-alpha trailer that you had just vanished and Atari was embarrassed.

I look forward to the next bit of information you may have. I've been in your shoes with trying to please everyone and it is one hell of a difficult job.

Thanks again!

Bordew5
03-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Honestly the pre-alpha game in the trailer looks worse than Adventure Park (http://store.steampowered.com/app/256050/). At best, I feel, if the game continued the direction it appeared to be going in the trailer, it will be at par with Adventure Park but with a useless -explore each other's parks- multiplayer function. Hope what they showed has either been scrapped or has at least been developed in a significantly different direction.

justbrae1
03-13-2015, 07:00 PM
The trailer was released too early, the screenshots with decent graphics were most likely concept art from pipeworks. Thats what im gathering.

killahboo
03-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Honestly the pre-alpha game in the trailer looks worse than Adventure Park (http://store.steampowered.com/app/256050/). At best, I feel, if the game continued the direction it appeared to be going in the trailer, it will be at par with Adventure Park but with a useless -explore each other's parks- multiplayer function. Hope what they showed has either been scrapped or has at least been developed in significantly different direction.

I've never seen Adventure Park before, it looks considerably better than what we've seen of RCTW :(

Typhoon.88
03-13-2015, 07:33 PM
There is a good reason you haven't seen Adventure Park its the worst incarnation of a theme park game to date.

ctc1993
03-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Your fan base isnt kids, simply say " This is what we are current planning, but of course things do and may change over the course of development".. You act as if we are in some a court of law, or that this forum is some sort of legally binding document...

Just engage us and show some real screenshots, loosen up, open up to us and realize... we are on your side. Just because we are currently booing you, doesnt mean we dont want you to win.

Having a conversation with your fans and customers isnt as hard as you seem to think it is.

Absolutely this. Well put.

Wabigbear
03-13-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm glad this latest message was posted here in a thread specifically for it rather than as a post in response to a thread elsewhere. Good, bad or indifferent, now people can find it much easier. And that can only be a good thing.

One thing we might consider is that the people here on these forums aren't the only one's Atari is going to have to communicate with to recover from this. There was also a lot of negative articles on various blogs and gaming sites, and many of those were International. A quick blog entry isn't going to undo the many negative comments that could be found at some of them, so Atari probably needs to come out full force with something that will overwhelm that negativity and try to get back some positive media exposure, media exposure that's vital to sales. And that needs to happen fairly rapidly. Maybe not rapid enough for our tastes, but rapid enough to get the word out to others.

I'm not going to speculate on what happened - it happened, it's over and nothing can change that.

Doesn't mean I have to like it - I don't - nor that I have to agree with it - I don't - nor even that I have to forget it - I won't. It just means nothing I say or do now will change what's already happened.

So I'm going to see where things progress from here. We're not the only one's waiting for answers, so we may have to wait until there's answers tailored for EVERYONE, including us. Again...I don't have to like it, but that's maybe just the way it has to be.

Sandsh8rk
03-13-2015, 08:16 PM
I've never seen pre-release communication and hype as bungled as this before. Area 52 must be doing a pretty bad job if they're the sole reason Mattlab is holding back from letting us all in on what we want and need to hear. Also if the teaser trailer was pre-alpha, why couldn't you have said so in the video title or description? That would have at least put some of us at ease, but just look at the forums and comments now - it has become an uncontrollable avalanche of hate and discord.

Even given the circumstances, wouldn't you think Mattlab would be in the forums more often than not trying to reassure us instead of leaving us all to speculate?

I still think there's hope, and I have promised myself I will pre-order the game. But at the way things are going at the moment, it looks like it will be more of a failure than a success. (I really hope I am proved wrong...)

Fovruf
03-13-2015, 08:25 PM
This community is so toxic already, it's almost like playing LoL. Please, go back to that crap and cry somewhere else.

Mattlab and dev crew: Please take your time. I don't want this game to be a piece of junk :)

Mr.Bacon
03-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Dear RCTW Fans,

Thanks and Best Regards,
Mattlab

You could address any number of things now, but you won't because you're lying and/or stalling. You're not opening the doors of communication because you have nothing to say and stand behind after that trailer reveal. The game is coming out pretty soon and I doubt its "Pre-Alpha". I call bs on that video being from an old build...why wouldn't you show the most recent or best build!? That trailer was either proud of what it showed... or the game's been rushed by atari with an inexperienced dev team and they have no hope of getting things up to par in time for the current release. There's hardly any communication from you or the non existent community manager. Care to elaborate and give details about the lack of communication? You're telling us that you're going to keep waiting until you have a whole bunch of things for a blog post at some undetermined amount of time later...surely the stuff you had ready for GDC last week could easily be posted...but appearently you guys weren't there? What happened? Can you really not share a SINGLE thing to stop the spiraling negativity? Can you at least elaborate on these tasks you worked on "To restore credibility?" Please for the love of roller coasters, stop being so vague, give people some solid info! There will continue to be negativity towards this game until some hard facts and videos show otherwise.

CreamyBeef
03-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Coming Soon™

Stream
03-13-2015, 09:00 PM
I can't believe that anyone would be happy about this post. Matt, get your act together and communicate about what the hell is going on. You're only now saying the trailer shown was pre-alpha, which I seriously doubt seeing as literally every other game trailer I've seen that has been pre-alpha has said that it was pre-alpha right there on it. If the trailer was in fact pre-alpha, after seeing the backlash that came after it, someone should have made a new trailer showing the current state of the game. This would have taken ME about an hour to do. That is the logical thing to do in order to squash some of the outrage. But, since the footage is probably what the game looks like right now, it's not possible to put out a better looking trailer.

This whole thing is completely ridiculous and has probably been one of the biggest marketing failures in the history of gaming. Whoever runs things over at Atari needs to seriously take a long hard look at themselves and figure out if this industry is for them.

Anyway, see you on the flip side, and by that I mean when I drive by your office and flip you off for ruining one of my all-time favorite video game franchises.

RCTW1
03-13-2015, 09:08 PM
This community is so toxic already, it's almost like playing LoL. Please, go back to that crap and cry somewhere else.

Mattlab and dev crew: Please take your time. I don't want this game to be a piece of junk :)

I have no issues with them taking their time to do a better job, that's if they're actually doing that.
I have a problem with them ignoring us for the most part, with very little communication and stuff.

CreamyBeef
03-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Absolutely this. Well said. Matt, stop playing the ''We are too busy making the game, of course! For some reason we're an AAA company and apparently only have 3 staff because it's impossible for someone to do a blog post at the same time!'' and actually answer our questions and restart, scrap or prove that the game is actually better than the trailer instead of just claiming it.

CaseyCBeard
03-13-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm glad this latest message was posted here in a thread specifically for it rather than as a post in response to a thread elsewhere. Good, bad or indifferent, now people can find it much easier. And that can only be a good thing.

One thing we might consider is that the people here on these forums aren't the only one's Atari is going to have to communicate with to recover from this. There was also a lot of negative articles on various blogs and gaming sites, and many of those were International. A quick blog entry isn't going to undo the many negative comments that could be found at some of them, so Atari probably needs to come out full force with something that will overwhelm that negativity and try to get back some positive media exposure, media exposure that's vital to sales. And that needs to happen fairly rapidly. Maybe not rapid enough for our tastes, but rapid enough to get the word out to others.

I'm not going to speculate on what happened - it happened, it's over and nothing can change that.

Doesn't mean I have to like it - I don't - nor that I have to agree with it - I don't - nor even that I have to forget it - I won't. It just means nothing I say or do now will change what's already happened.

So I'm going to see where things progress from here. We're not the only one's waiting for answers, so we may have to wait until there's answers tailored for EVERYONE, including us. Again...I don't have to like it, but that's maybe just the way it has to be.

Thank you!

CoasterKing84
03-13-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm being optimistic about the game still after that horrid excuse of a trailer that is claimed to be from pre-alpha stages. If the trailer didn't get back lash like it received I guarantee you the game would have been released as planned. Due to the backlash they are working very hard to post anything because they are so busy changing all the codes to the game hoping they can get everything back in order. It's called a mistake, now I know I posted a few very negative post on here so I don't need anyone pointing out something I said previously so I call myself out on it. However mistakes is a part of learning in life and the mistake was not listening to us the consumers/fans and putting out what you all assumed "we" the consumers would like. With me working in a corporate environment I completely understand now the pressure they are under. My apologies to Atari and Area 52 but at the same time I'm not sorry for some of what I said because it's only the truth. I just hope for better days to come with this game, blogs to come, and especially this community. It's tainted with negativity, something else I had to work on personally because the more negative spoken the more negative to be received. Patience is virtue and I'm trying to practice that. All of our negativity we feel like it will make them produce and post faster but it doesn't it will only push them further away from the community maybe so much to the point they will say "TO HELL WITH THIS GAME AND THE NEGATIVE, UNGRATEFUL COMMUNITY." Then what will happen next? Everybody will be talking about how they dropped the game from this and that when it was because the were overly frustrated trying to make it right and give the community what they really want, in which points back to Atari and Area 52 not listening. BIG POINT HERE IS THAT WITH THE NEGATIVE ENERGY WE'VE PUT OUT IS MAKING THEM WITH HOLD INFORMATION. IT'S JUST A NASTY CYCLE THAT HAS NOW TURNED VICIOUS. WE SHOULD NOT BE ATTACKING ONE ANOTHER OVER IT!

TheCoasterGOd3
03-13-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm being optimistic about the game still after that horrid excuse of a trailer that is claimed to be from pre-alpha stages. If the trailer didn't get back lash like it received I guarantee you the game would have been released as planned. Due to the backlash they are working very hard to post anything because they are so busy changing all the codes to the game hoping they can get everything back in order. It's called a mistake, now I know I posted a few very negative post on here so I don't need anyone pointing out something I said previously so I call myself out on it. However mistakes is a part of learning in life and the mistake was not listening to us the consumers/fans and putting out what you all assumed "we" the consumers would like. With me working in a corporate environment I completely understand now the pressure they are under. My apologies to Atari and Area 52 but at the same time I'm not sorry for some of what I said because it's only the truth. I just hope for better days to come with this game, blogs to come, and especially this community. It's tainted with negativity, something else I had to work on personally because the more negative spoken the more negative to be received. Patience is virtue and I'm trying to practice that. All of our negativity we feel like it will make them produce and post faster but it doesn't it will only push them further away from the community maybe so much to the point they will say "TO HELL WITH THIS GAME AND THE NEGATIVE, UNGRATEFUL COMMUNITY." Then what will happen next? Everybody will be talking about how they dropped the game from this and that when it was because the were overly frustrated trying to make it right and give the community what they really want, in which points back to Atari and Area 52 not listening. BIG POINT HERE IS THAT WITH THE NEGATIVE ENERGY WE'VE PUT OUT IS MAKING THEM WITH HOLD INFORMATION. IT'S JUST A NASTY CYCLE THAT HAS NOW TURNED VICIOUS. WE SHOULD NOT BE ATTACKING ONE ANOTHER OVER IT!

The words lash out, like a volcano that has finally erupted from it's slumber. But when you see what it means, it means everything plus the gold in the treasure.

Jacobs 15.

Sandsh8rk
03-13-2015, 10:38 PM

You know as much as everyone else does. You don't know if the stuff we're saying right here in this thread is having a direct affect on the development on the game.

CoasterKing84
03-13-2015, 11:04 PM
You know as much as everyone else does. You don't know if the stuff we're saying right here in this thread is having a direct affect on the development on the game.

I didn't say I knew what was going on or if I knew more than anyone else, reason why I said I'm still going to be optimistic. However I did say I know how it is in a corporate environment fore I am working in a corporate office myself and the pressures of meeting deadlines can be very stressful. I am in marketing myself so yes that part I do know and understand. I don't know if anything anyone is saying will have a DIRECT EFFECT on the development of the game you're right I never claimed that I did. I was basically saying that all the negativity can and I did use maybe to proceed with the example of them getting fed up and cancelling I didn't say that would necessarily happen but what I do know is that the cycle has become vicious because with no post the comments are becoming more negative and the blogs are being posted further and further apart. Read thoroughly before you attack and tell someone what they do or don't know!

Wicked
03-13-2015, 11:39 PM
To be honest, as long as he posts some EVIDENCE as to the current state of the game I will be fine. But to give us all this face and no results is a bit disappointing as of this time. In blog 5 I will be expecting some cold hard EVIDENCE of current graphics and features, otherwise what is the point??

syfy2k4
03-13-2015, 11:57 PM
thinking about how they could gain a little trust back has provided me with an idea they would be foolish not to use. don't give us an edited video, set up an account on twitch and do a little livestream of the game as it sits right now. put the chat in slow mode, and have someone sitting there playing the game, and another person there handling the chat's questions and remarks. the only way to PROVE the game is as good as Mattlab has claimed is to let us see it without any edits.

mb1.0.2
03-13-2015, 11:59 PM
I feel bad for mattlab. I'm sure Atari doesn't pay him enough. He is but the mouth of a company, and he is more than likely tied to what his higher-up's allow him to say. Slinging personal attacks at HIM is juvenile and unnecessary. Be enraged at the company...be enraged at the developers...but he's just a pawn that somehow got put on this job. I sincerely think he's doing the best job he can given his circumstances. He has to come here and face all of us, with our fangs bared because we're so (rightly) enraged about how we've been treated thus far. He has to keep dolling out this corporate media-speak because that's all the big-wigs will allow him to say. It's a crappy situation, I bet...one that I don't envy. I hope after this is all said and done, Matt, you ask for a nice fat raise. Your company isn't treating you very well.

That being said, I've gotten away from posting here lately, as it just hasn't been worth my time. I'm tired of seeing the same arguments over and over and over. I posted it once, I'll post it again...here's my theory: that trailer, if you look at it, has 2 distinct looks: some times (less than half) has shadows and much crisper details while the other has that awful pre-alpha look without any shadows, flat textures, things not lining up to the paths, etc. The first look...the more polished one...I bet that's Pipework's stuff--the stuff Atari was able to get the rights to before canning Pipeworks. The rest? The ugly stuff? That's Area 52, because once Atari dumped Pipeworks, they took their entire engine with them and that forced Area 52 to start from scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if that "trailer" really is pre-alpha footage...but that's also the current state of the game. They had to essentially restart, and that's the best they could do by GDC: mash up some footage of both developer's work. Is it good? No. It's awful. Why would you show that if you're trying to drum up support for the game? It's stupid. It's ugly...it's not what I want.

So, in the end, I have very little to no faith in Atari or Area 52 when it comes to RCTW. Put up or shut up. You have yet to show me anything that proves the game you're making is worth my money. Talk is cheap. Until you can earn my money, you won't be seeing any of it. And none of that is directed at Mattlab, but he can sure as hell take it to whoever is in charge of HIM and let them know. I'd urge everyone, instead of "calming down" or whatever...direct your rage at who deserves it. I have a hunch it's not Mattlab.

Nickster
03-14-2015, 12:21 AM
Best response, no comment.

Wicked
03-14-2015, 12:25 AM
This is a problem I have…
Like people have mentioned…Why release pre-alpha footage on a trailer? And not only that, but to not indicate during the video that said trailer was pre-alpha footage is VERY SUSPICIOUS.

Andy608
03-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Thank you Matt for the update! I just spent the last few minutes reading previous peoples comments and I cannot believe how disrespectful most of this community is. The developers are working their hardest to create a game that they and we have been waiting a very long time for. It is so crazy to see all these people up in arms over a simple trailer and are screaming to cancel the game, or telling Atari to give up. If anything you should be happy they are doing this for us. No matter what Atari does, whether it be releasing a trailer that was a little under the expectation bar, or even Mattlab creating this post to say that a blog post will be coming soon, everyone is always mad or crazy. It seems like the crowd always needs something to be angry about and it really sickens me.

I have seen this attitude from fans more commonly within the past few years with some previous games:

The Sims 4 - the game was not a deserving sequel but EA tried to make up for it with some free dlc and people were never satisfied and saying "well wheres this? We want this! You suck and will always suck!"

Simcity 5 - launch was a disaster the fans never forgave EA and Maxis and whatever they put out the fans rejected.

Now Rollercoaster Tycoon World - launch trailer not up to par, fans lash out against every new update.

This disturbs me because as a developer of software and mods for games, I know how much the community drives developers and when they see that the community is not on their side, it really takes a blow to the developers morale and drive to keep going.

Please everyone give them a chance. Stop telling them to cancel the game. We all need to stick together and instead of being mean, we need to tell them what we want in a detailed and peaceful manner. Everyone is on the same team.

TLDR: In short, please do not listen to all of these people saying to cancel the game or to give up. There are still plenty of fans that appreciate what you are creating and are excited for RCT World because it is simply being created. (Granted most of these people do not post like me but all of these horrible comments provoked me to say something.)

I thank you for trying your best. I for one am eagerly waiting for this game to be released.

Thanks for your time,
Andy608

Wicked
03-14-2015, 12:38 AM
Thank you Matt for the update! I just spent the last few minutes reading previous peoples comments and I cannot believe how disrespectful most of this community is. The developers are working their hardest to create a game that they and we have been waiting a very long time for. It is so crazy to see all these people up in arms over a simple trailer and are screaming to cancel the game, or telling Atari to give up. If anything you should be happy they are doing this for us. No matter what Atari does, whether it be releasing a trailer that was a little under the expectation bar, or even Mattlab creating this post to say that a blog post will be coming soon, everyone is always mad or crazy. It seems like the crowd always needs something to be angry about and it really sickens me.Andy608

I would hate the game to be cancelled. Nor have I ever encouraged that behaviour. But the truth is…this is bad news right? Surely you must agree this is bad news?

syfy2k4
03-14-2015, 01:06 AM
This disturbs me because as a developer of software and mods for games, I know how much the community drives developers and when they see that the community is not on their side, it really takes a blow to the developers morale and drive to keep going.

Please everyone give them a chance. Stop telling them to cancel the game. We all need to stick together and instead of being mean, we need to tell them what we want in a detailed and peaceful manner. Everyone is on the same team.

the fans of the RCT franchise have provided them with NUMEROUS wish lists and requests over the past 10+ YEARS.
in response we see such things as the grid based path system that does not allow curved pathways, and the lack of inclusion of CS in the base game. in fact, they would not even answer the question of whether or not CS would be in the game for quite a while, before they threw us a bone and said it would be in a free dlc that would come out at some point after the game came out.

it is not a matter of the fans not being clear what they would like to see and doing so in a fairly polite manner over all these years.
it is more a feeling that they chose to ignore what the community has made clear is important to them. THAT, my friend, is what is driving so many peoples anger. then add a serious lack of communication and accountability to it and you wind up with a community ready to blow at the next perceived slight or sign of disrespect from Atari.

actually being honest, and following through on the promise of Atari people like Dre Roberts, who came in promising great interaction with us before disappearing would do so much to get the community on their side. but that seems to be just beyond the comprehension of Atari management.

while it is indeed possible that many of us are acting questionably and raging over the smallest perceived insult or missed deadline for the latest Devblog....it is not on us to keep the community happy and ready to buy. that is entirely on Atari, and failing at that is what lead us to this point, and will further make people think seriously about spending their hard earned money on this game.

Spektrum
03-14-2015, 01:39 AM
Mattlab, please take the time...

Rollercoaster Tycoon has been such an important part of my creative life. When I was little, I must have put over 600 hours into 1,2, and 3. To this day I still play 3 at least twice a week. When I heard the news that World was coming out, honesty I could not have been more excited...

To be totally honest, my feelings now are not of anger of frustration (entirely...) but more of fear. I am fearful of something that played such a large part of my childhood won't be done with the same love that I dedicated to playing the game. Fear that the game will get canceled. Fear that people will talk poorly about it.

When I saw the trailer, I thought it was starting with footage from RCT3. But then I had that horrible realization that it was footage of my dream game. I do not know if I want to lash out, cry, or what. But all I and the community do know, is that all we really want are straight answers. We also want those answers to come in at least once a week. I always take part in the community for games. Think of the community Destiny had. There were frequent posts and to this day there are still weekly Twitter updates.

Mattlab, give us a renewed reason to believe in your team. What can we as a community do to help you all succeed? I believe that at the very least, an active community with positive feedback will help your team see the passion in our hearts and instill that passion in them...

I guess as a summary, please do not kill one of my great loves.

koekeritis
03-14-2015, 04:51 AM
I am not going to make my own post because it would pretty much look like this:

Mattlab, please take the time...

Rollercoaster Tycoon has been such an important part of my creative life. When I was little, I must have put over 600 hours into 1,2, and 3. To this day I still play 3 at least twice a week. When I heard the news that World was coming out, honesty I could not have been more excited...

To be totally honest, my feelings now are not of anger of frustration (entirely...) but more of fear. I am fearful of something that played such a large part of my childhood won't be done with the same love that I dedicated to playing the game. Fear that the game will get canceled. Fear that people will talk poorly about it.

When I saw the trailer, I thought it was starting with footage from RCT3. But then I had that horrible realization that it was footage of my dream game. I do not know if I want to lash out, cry, or what. But all I and the community do know, is that all we really want are straight answers. We also want those answers to come in at least once a week. I always take part in the community for games. Think of the community Destiny had. There were frequent posts and to this day there are still weekly Twitter updates.

Mattlab, give us a renewed reason to believe in your team. What can we as a community do to help you all succeed? I believe that at the very least, an active community with positive feedback will help your team see the passion in our hearts and instill that passion in them...

I guess as a summary, please do not kill one of my great loves.

I completely agree with you Spektrum!
Please, atari, area 52, don't kill this franchise.

And people stop hating on mattlab!

I feel bad for mattlab. I'm sure Atari doesn't pay him enough. He is but the mouth of a company, and he is more than likely tied to what his higher-up's allow him to say. Slinging personal attacks at HIM is juvenile and unnecessary. Be enraged at the company...be enraged at the developers...but he's just a pawn that somehow got put on this job. I sincerely think he's doing the best job he can given his circumstances. He has to come here and face all of us, with our fangs bared because we're so (rightly) enraged about how we've been treated thus far. He has to keep dolling out this corporate media-speak because that's all the big-wigs will allow him to say. It's a crappy situation, I bet...one that I don't envy. I hope after this is all said and done, Matt, you ask for a nice fat raise. Your company isn't treating you very well.

dwwilkin
03-14-2015, 05:00 AM
While I recognize that Peeps had problems with the trailer, I didn't. Some say it is just a continuation of RCT3, yet I noted loggers in the trailer, something I have never put into my RCT3 parks. Is that there? Have I missed it?

As to pre-alpha footage, my greek alphabet did not have such a thing. You started to develop a game and it was in alpha. Then when it was ready for playtesting and correcting of bugs, it was in beta.

Still, I may be different. I am a fan, and hope that I am not a fanboy, having participated in the beta of Soaked and Wild and pointed out serious bugs, as well as harping on the issue to Frontier and Atari to clean up issues after release.

No doubt once the game hits the shelves, if I can play it (WHY ARE THE SYSTEM REQs SO HIGH) I will praise it, and let all know when I find a bug I wished fix.

BUT

The game has not come out yet. It is still being worked on. It may be great, it may be average, and it may be RCT3a, but the best news we have is that it will be.

koekeritis
03-14-2015, 05:07 AM
thinking about how they could gain a little trust back has provided me with an idea they would be foolish not to use. don't give us an edited video, set up an account on twitch and do a little livestream of the game as it sits right now. put the chat in slow mode, and have someone sitting there playing the game, and another person there handling the chat's questions and remarks. the only way to PROVE the game is as good as Mattlab has claimed is to let us see it without any edits.

Ahh, that's such a good idea!!! For now it's mostly just a dream though but it would be the ULTIMATE WEAPON to calm down da community!

paulbriffett
03-14-2015, 06:38 AM
I think that people should calm down.

GGD123
03-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Whilst I felt bubbles of hatred and annoyance in my gut when I watched the trailer, I do remain hopeful that the finished product is superior in every way. I have, like so many of us, waited so long for this game and I am grateful and excited that the franchise will carry on,(I'm already longing for the expansion packs) and I will probably buy it without hesitation. I have faith and judging by the trailer, that's all I can have.

RCTLOVER
03-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Atleast you finally told us about everything. Also, I really would like to be excited for this, but my hopes went down. I'm hoping that by May things look better for the franchise.

lohansony
03-14-2015, 11:29 AM
I think we should all relax, and realize that when Mattlab says it was a pre-alpha trailor to avoid showing things that might not be available in the final version, we should be reassured and realize that he's smart enough to realize that the trailor wasn't perfect, and that it didn't show us what we want. Hopefully the next trailor will be better, and I'm sure it will be once their business dies down again.

VACkillers
03-14-2015, 11:38 AM
I think we should all relax, and realize that when Mattlab says it was a pre-alpha trailor to avoid showing things that might not be available in the final version, we should be reassured and realize that he's smart enough to realize that the trailor wasn't perfect, and that it didn't show us what we want. Hopefully the next trailor will be better, and I'm sure it will be once their business dies down again.

This could quite be the most sensible answer yet. Post above had a good idea too about live streaming some of the build aswell but dunno how practical that would be

lohansony
03-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Thank you Matt for the update! I just spent the last few minutes reading previous peoples comments and I cannot believe how disrespectful most of this community is. The developers are working their hardest to create a game that they and we have been waiting a very long time for. It is so crazy to see all these people up in arms over a simple trailer and are screaming to cancel the game, or telling Atari to give up. If anything you should be happy they are doing this for us. No matter what Atari does, whether it be releasing a trailer that was a little under the expectation bar, or even Mattlab creating this post to say that a blog post will be coming soon, everyone is always mad or crazy. It seems like the crowd always needs something to be angry about and it really sickens me.

I have seen this attitude from fans more commonly within the past few years with some previous games:

The Sims 4 - the game was not a deserving sequel but EA tried to make up for it with some free dlc and people were never satisfied and saying "well wheres this? We want this! You suck and will always suck!"

Simcity 5 - launch was a disaster the fans never forgave EA and Maxis and whatever they put out the fans rejected.

Now Rollercoaster Tycoon World - launch trailer not up to par, fans lash out against every new update.

TLDR: In short, please do not listen to all of these people saying to cancel the game or to give up. There are still plenty of fans that appreciate what you are creating and are excited for RCT World because it is simply being created. (Granted most of these people do not post like me but all of these horrible comments provoked me to say something.)

I thank you for trying your best. I for one am eagerly waiting for this game to be released.

Thanks for your time,
Andy608

I am one of these fans who, though was expecting a bit more from the trailor, is still very excited about the game and is rooting for the dev team. Keep it up. And to the community, grow up a little. "We're not kids here" and then you go around throwing fits and getting all "activisty" against Atari. Seriously? People, it's a game not the 2012 elections.

Deuce
03-14-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't want to be disrespectful towards Mattlab, but as responses go this is 'inadequate'.

Sure it's great to know they are busy working on the game, but that's a very weak excuse for not addressing all the very specific questions people have asked.

The level of communication repeatedly promised has never been provided. It doesn't matter if some people are 'still positive' about the game. The game could eventually be amazing, but that wouldn't change the fact that Atari are making promises and repeatedly breaking them.

If it takes Mattlab a fortnight to figure out when the footage in the trailer was from, then he is either shockingly disconnected from the project or has decided the the honest answer is too embarrassing.

There is no way in hell it takes so long to gather the facts people have asked for. This latest delay was always predictable as soon as the trailer bombed. It was inevitable Atari would turtle up while they decide what they can possibly do with the mess. Any company would do the same - so I completley understand the reasons Mattlab isn't able to say anything of substance. The problem is that anyone with half a brain can also understand the reality of Ataris situation, so it would be a lot better if Mattlab simply acknowledged the reason he can't speak is because they haven't decided what to do with this mess.

That would be honest. Claiming he cant answer simple questions because they're so busy working on the game is not.

koekeritis
03-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Does this mean we are getting a new trailer/teser????????

Hanazakari86
03-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Atleast you finally told us about everything. Also, I really would like to be excited for this, but my hopes went down. I'm hoping that by May things look better for the franchise.

Me too
I hope everything gets better by May

Hanazakari86
03-14-2015, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your time,
Andy608

I agree with you
And forgive me If I have said something wrong
In dev blog 4 I mean!!

VACkillers
03-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Well one things for sure, you can't argue about everyone's passion for this game ��

Everyone is wanting this game to be as perfect as possible and everyone is so hyped up for it, so excited for it that when we receive an actual update and it's not anything major in the form of new screenshots or video of the game, everyone gets super frustrated. I'm guilty of this! I just want to see the game! I'm ready! And have been ready for multiple years now... So the delays are anoying but totally understandable. No disrespect intended for anyone involved in the development of this game or mattlab. The trailer sadly was shockingly bad though and has been the cause of everyone's issue and as soon as that has been put to rest the better off we can all move on past it I think.....

I think a couple peeps in the comments on here mentioned mattlab is probably a fan of the series too! I have no doubt about that, we all grew up playing these games, I was super young myself and anyone who had a pc back in the day, owned at least one of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games. We just all need to calm down myself included, the game is still in development and still possibly quite early so there is plenty of time, we got E3 comming up in 3 months too! If those screenshots are what the currently looks like, we are in good hands just don't lash out just yet... Last out if the game looks like that trailer when it's released. Absolutely no point doing that yet. More exciting info is bound to coming soon guys!

Wayne
03-14-2015, 04:55 PM
I will wait happily. Just hope to see some down and in the dirt answers and not a beat around the bush approach.

This is the kind of response that makes my heart happy. Even if you were to make more simple posts like this I would be okay with it. Just hearing some news made me feel alright.

Brojan
03-14-2015, 06:42 PM

Thanks for your time,
Andy608

No, we aren't on the same team. Atari is one team, the fans are another. Area 52 is stuck in between them, and is trying to please both parties. The fact of the matter is that Area 52 is being rushed and squeezed by Atari into releasing unpolished turds, and the fans are having to sit by and take it.

Everybody here wants a great game, but the **** that Atari and Area 52 are feeding us shouldn't stand. The public outcry is not making them lose morale, but rather lighting a flame under them to make sure they put out quality work.

Myself, and many other fans don't want garbage to pollute this franchise. We aren't saying that Area 52 is not capable of making a great game and therefore give up. Rather, we're saying that IF you can't make something good and the will add to the franchise, then just stop developing it.

Don't be a sheep and let them feed you nonsense. Stand up, tell them what you want and how you feel. That is how we're going to get a good game - not by telling them that they're doing a great job.

Aaronroberts
03-14-2015, 07:08 PM
If I were an admin / staff... After apologising about communication, I'd make it my job to reply to this thread, but no... Good job on communicating with the community.

smoothc
03-14-2015, 07:41 PM
This fighting and negativity is getting more tedious than the actual wait..

crionics
03-14-2015, 08:19 PM

As vague, uninformative and funny as usual - well done :). Everytime you think RCTWs standing couldn't get any worse, Mattlab posts another thread - keep up the good work! :D

allen
03-14-2015, 09:42 PM
I can see by reading post after post that most don't have a clue :eek:! Actually complaining about the lack of information.

syfy2k4
03-15-2015, 12:12 AM
I can see by reading post after post that most don't have a clue :eek:! Actually complaining about the lack of information.

geez, i know....people ACTUALLY complaining about not having any info on a game they have waited so darn long for. watta bunch of noobs, why would they actually want any info? is it not enough to blindly trust a company with such a sterling record of making their customers feel like they are the most important thing in the world?

gee whillikers Wally, its almost like they have the impression that their decision to purchase, maybe even pre-purchase may be based on the info they get in advance.

i mean for real, how clueless can one person be?

Spektrum
03-15-2015, 01:43 AM
I want to be able to help out Atari. I believe that at this point, a pre-alpha or whatever version is the best should be put out to the forum subscribers. Then we can get our hands on it and see how the game functions. Because really in my opinion, the main issue with the trailer was the visual appearance. That can be easily changed later. Just ask anyone who modded a game... So if the game runs and feels great, then I feel faith can be restored

EmSay
03-15-2015, 04:17 AM
Ok...I have seen the trailer, sorry... The pre Alpha footage trailer.....
Well...I have to say that is quite disturbing...
Seems Atari havin' hard Hard times with the game/community/devs'....

I wish you luck, and courage for the future, I think you'll need it.

allen
03-15-2015, 11:57 AM
This is what I'm talking about . Someone who is actually clueless about why a person is complaining about a game that is still in devlopment. No where in any form does a developer/producer need to disclose any information about a game thats in devlopment. Developers/producers disclose information about a game in devlopment for many reasons. Some are for plablicity and constructive feedback.
I do believe that Atari is doing it for feedback and plublicity. and there may be more to it. I'm not in the testing phase of RCTW. But I'm in the testing of 2 other roller coaster games/simulators that have not been anounced simply because of whats going on within these forums. Developers/producers today and will be in the near future, won;t disclose any details about an upcomming game until the very last second.
So how does this effecvt me and you? Simply put our feedback will not be used in the final release of the game. Plus when the game is released, many will rant and bash it until the game is delayed over and over. At the end we the customer are screwed out of our feedback that would have been implimented into the game.
I have been testing games for many years now and can asure you that these devlopers/producers want our cunstructive feedback. Saying that the devloper will crash and burn or go bankrupt is not constructive feedback.
I read a comment saying that they were looking for a new developer. SO...its not like its the first time a devlopers has been replaced.
Saying that Atari is having issues with the game/community/devs', is clueless. Simply someone like this doesn't know what is involved in creating a game in todays world.

dancer79
03-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I see the frustration with everyone here. I saw the trailer and thought it was total crap. I do see now that the trailer was pre-release of game as I have been toying with theme park studio game but game play is complicated and you can't build full park like in RCT and make money and manager a park so the novelty is not there. I do hope when game comes out that supports trains and coasters are a lot more realistic. The flat and thrill rides are realistic not this crap that would never exist in real world. I hope it looks better then RCT 3 as trailer looks like RCT 1 in 3D. If game is crap then frontier will learn from mistakes when they build their new coaster game in 2016 Coaster Park Tycoon.......

Aaronroberts
03-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Imho, RCTW needs to be on par with, or better than Theme Park Studio otherwise it doesn't deserve the rct title.

Though, there isnt as much going on in that game apart from rides moving about.

RCTW1
03-15-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not riding this "good confidence" train, until I get some visual proof. I'm not expecting perfection, but Atari has messed up once with RCT4M, maybe twice with the Gameboy version. I don't even have a "demands" list of stuff needed for RCTW, I know and understand that Mattlab is trying really hard, but reading blogs of stuff, and my uncertainty of Area 52's skill and talent is wearing quite thin. Atari and Area 52, please bring some confidence.

HipsterJesus
03-15-2015, 03:35 PM
This just got beyond ridiculous, the game is lost... might aswell just write a one sentence blog how atari decided to stop the development of the game.

DMB1985
03-15-2015, 04:07 PM
This is what I'm talking about . Someone who is actually clueless about why a person is complaining about a game that is still in devlopment. No where in any form does a developer/producer need to disclose any information about a game thats in devlopment. Developers/producers disclose information about a game in devlopment for many reasons. Some are for plablicity and constructive feedback.
I do believe that Atari is doing it for feedback and plublicity. and there may be more to it. I'm not in the testing phase of RCTW. But I'm in the testing of 2 other roller coaster games/simulators that have not been anounced simply because of whats going on within these forums. Developers/producers today and will be in the near future, won;t disclose any details about an upcomming game until the very last second.
So how does this effecvt me and you? Simply put our feedback will not be used in the final release of the game. Plus when the game is released, many will rant and bash it until the game is delayed over and over. At the end we the customer are screwed out of our feedback that would have been implimented into the game.
I have been testing games for many years now and can asure you that these devlopers/producers want our cunstructive feedback. Saying that the devloper will crash and burn or go bankrupt is not constructive feedback.
I read a comment saying that they were looking for a new developer. SO...its not like its the first time a devlopers has been replaced.
Saying that Atari is having issues with the game/community/devs', is clueless. Simply someone like this doesn't know what is involved in creating a game in todays world.

No developer or publisher worth their salt will hold back information about their games, especially as the game approaches it's alleged release period. They want to make people aware of their products and generate as much hype as possible. In fact, with social media becoming bigger pretty much every day, we are seeing developers becoming even more open, even the tiny devs that would have been invisible just four or five years ago. Just look at the guys creating Parkitect. They're releasing devlogs on a regular basis and theirs just three of them. And when it comes to AAA games, like Atari are claiming RCTW to be, articles about the game are all other game websites in the months approaching release. Off the top of my head I can't think of any AAA games where the devs and publishers were so secretive about their game, especially at this stage. And if there were any, I'd wager it was probably rubbish.

syfy2k4
03-15-2015, 04:59 PM
No developer or publisher worth their salt will hold back information about their games, especially as the game approaches it's alleged release period. They want to make people aware of their products and generate as much hype as possible. In fact, with social media becoming bigger pretty much every day, we are seeing developers becoming even more open, even the tiny devs that would have been invisible just four or five years ago. Just look at the guys creating Parkitect. They're releasing devlogs on a regular basis and theirs just three of them. And when it comes to AAA games, like Atari are claiming RCTW to be, articles about the game are all other game websites in the months approaching release. Off the top of my head I can't think of any AAA games where the devs and publishers were so secretive about their game, especially at this stage. And if there were any, I'd wager it was probably rubbish.

absolutely right. hell, its the Indie Dev teams that are the ones worth watching nowadays. like The Indie Stone and their game Project Zomboid. they had some pretty serious setbacks, including the theft of the primary laptops with the code on them, but they continued on and regularly interact with the community. have a question for a Dev? send him a tweet or create a thread and an answer will be forthcoming. want to be involved in testing? ok, they send you to a thread that provides the basic knowledge of what you are getting yourself into, and at the bottom is the code you need to enter in the Beta box on steam. from there, you too are now an official tester for the Project Zomboid game.

unlike some companies, they long ago figured out that interaction with the fans breeds loyalty. the same fans will now act as free promotion for the game and hype it via youtube videos and twitch live streams. in some streams i am aware of, the streamer actually has few of the devs who hang out in his chat and are chat mods.

Allen, your idea of a company actively hiding a game in development is, to be blunt, stupid. Hype and Marketing are as essential to a game as the paychecks clearing the bank every payday. the game market is saturated, with more and more games coming out every week, games that people have been aware of for a while and that they are anxious to finally play.

DoctorJ
03-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Perhaps the Atari team spent too much time at GDC sniffing this: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/gallery-gdc-2015-shows-off-inventive-controllers-and-atari-history/

allen
03-15-2015, 09:50 PM

absolutely right. hell, its the Indie Dev teams that are the ones worth watching nowadays. like The Indie Stone and their game Project Zomboid. they had some pretty serious setbacks, including the theft of the primary laptops with the code on them, but they continued on and regularly interact with the community. have a question for a Dev? send him a tweet or create a thread and an answer will be forthcoming. want to be involved in testing? ok, they send you to a thread that provides the basic knowledge of what you are getting yourself into, and at the bottom is the code you need to enter in the Beta box on steam. from there, you too are now an official tester for the Project Zomboid game.

unlike some companies, they long ago figured out that interaction with the fans breeds loyalty. the same fans will now act as free promotion for the game and hype it via youtube videos and twitch live streams. in some streams i am aware of, the streamer actually has few of the devs who hang out in his chat and are chat mods.

Allen, your idea of a company actively hiding a game in development is, to be blunt, stupid. Hype and Marketing are as essential to a game as the paychecks clearing the bank every payday. the game market is saturated, with more and more games coming out every week, games that people have been aware of for a while and that they are anxious to finally play.

If you had read my post I said developers/publishers favor Publicity (marketing) and feedback. And yes some are doing away with announcements about some games to far in advance. See a game with negative publicity can hurt more in ( marketing ) than not having any publicity at all. Why do you think more and more developers are releasing open betas with less information about the game? Its very simple to understand why. After the open beta, and lets say the game is disliked, the developer can simply give an excuse and delay the release. But I have a question for you two. Do you remember Scream Machines?

syfy2k4
03-16-2015, 12:31 AM
nope. never played it, hated the look of it and watching this video reminds me why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q49DlpSj3wY

now some may like the superior supports and smoother transitions seen in the video, but for me it was never a game i wanted anything to do with

DMB1985
03-16-2015, 05:45 AM
If you had read my post I said developers/publishers favor Publicity (marketing) and feedback. And yes some are doing away with announcements about some games to far in advance. See a game with negative publicity can hurt more in ( marketing ) than not having any publicity at all. Why do you think more and more developers are releasing open betas with less information about the game? Its very simple to understand why. After the open beta, and lets say the game is disliked, the developer can simply give an excuse and delay the release. But I have a question for you two. Do you remember Scream Machines?

We're not on here talking about a game that's release is a long way off though. RCTW is currently down for a mid 2015 release. Now in my book that means between some time between May and August. Unless this game is going to be pushed back further still (which I suspect it will need to be) then this is the time that Atari should be trying to make us want to buy the game. The months running up to the release is the key time for communicating to your fans, getting them hyped and showing off what to expect in a game. This isn't happening and there is no excusing it.

RCTW1
03-16-2015, 11:07 AM
If a publisher and/or developer is withholding info, in fear of negativity, then they most likely lack confidence or doing something else not right.
RCT has been a major franchise, much like SimCity, So Atari should know better, or it will be replaced. Right now, it looks like Cities Skylines has replaced SimCity, so I would not be surprised if Coaster Park Tycoon replaces Roller Coaster Tycoon.

CoasterNazi666
03-16-2015, 11:46 AM
If a publisher and/or developer is withholding info, in fear of negativity, then they most likely lack confidence or doing something else not right.
RCT has been a major franchise, much like SimCity, So Atari should know better, or it will be replaced. Right now, it looks like Cities Skylines has replaced SimCity, so I would not be surprised if Coaster Park Tycoon replaces Roller Coaster Tycoon.

That's exactly how I feel and I believe this will happen due to the games current state

allen
03-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I like testing for Frontier, but they have not been able to reproduce another game like RCT3. They have tried, but it always seems to look to cartoony. Frontier is a perfect example of how developers are using there testers and focus groups to get ideals on future games. Also Frontier use a lot of ports. If you don't like RCTW you most likely won't like Coaster Park Tycoon.

allen
03-16-2015, 12:15 PM
nope. never played it, hated the look of it and watching this video reminds me why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q49DlpSj3wY

now some may like the superior supports and smoother transitions seen in the video, but for me it was never a game i wanted anything to do with

Many believe the developer just quit on the sequel, but in fact its still in development. The developers closed the site down and just quit giving updates on the progress do to the trolls, and spam very similar to whats going on here.

Wabigbear
03-16-2015, 01:09 PM
...quit giving updates on the progress do to the trolls, and spam very similar to whats going on here.

There aren't 'trolls' posting here, there are some very upset people, and mostly with good reasons. That's not 'trolls', that's not 'spam', that's totally different.

Do some of them take their comments too far? Absolutely. However Atari isn't a handful of people working in their garage. They're a corporation staffed with professionals. They may not always like what they read, but they aren't going to stomp off in a huff because their feelings are hurt.

I'd remind you it was Atari that opened this forum and invited everyone here for information and to post their ideas, questions and requests, it's Atari that has repeatedly said that the game was amazing and the graphics were top-notch, it's Atari that said they were working on filming videos and taking screenshots WEEKS AGO, it was Atari that said they had so much to show at GDC, it was Atari that said they were about to unveil the new trailer that they were so proud of without mentioning that supposedly it's old, it was Atari that said there was going to be constant communication from not one, but TWO different Community Managers that have since disappeared, and it was Atari that several times posted that blogs, news and/or explanations were about to be released and then didn't follow through, and didn't always explain why.

It wasn't the people here who said any of that, so why are you sounding like you're blaming them for their reactions when Atari doesn't follow through on what ATARI - and NOT the members here - said they were going to do? The members are asking for information that ATARI SAID THEY WOULD PROVIDE. It was Atari itself that welcomed questions here.

It's one thing to say that people shouldn't go overboard in their comments - as some certainly have - but it's another to start tossing around labels like 'troll' or 'clueless'. That's not helping any.

CoasterNazi666
03-16-2015, 01:43 PM
There aren't 'trolls' posting here, there are some very upset people, and mostly with good reasons. That's not 'trolls', that's not 'spam', that's totally different.

Do some of them take their comments too far? Absolutely. However Atari isn't a handful of people working in their garage. They're a corporation staffed with professionals. They may not always like what they read, but they aren't going to stomp off in a huff because their feelings are hurt.

I'd remind you it was Atari that opened this forum and invited everyone here for information and to post their ideas, questions and requests, it's Atari that has repeatedly said that the game was amazing and the graphics were top-notch, it's Atari that said they were working on filming videos and taking screenshots WEEKS AGO, it was Atari that said they had so much to show at GDC, it was Atari that said they were about to unveil the new trailer that they were so proud of without mentioning that supposedly it's old, it was Atari that said there was going to be constant communication from not one, but TWO different Community Managers that have since disappeared, and it was Atari that several times posted that blogs, news and/or explanations were about to be released and then didn't follow through, and didn't always explain why.

It wasn't the people here who said any of that, so why are you sounding like you're blaming them for their reactions when Atari doesn't follow through on what ATARI - and NOT the members here - said they were going to do? The members are asking for information that ATARI SAID THEY WOULD PROVIDE. It was Atari itself that welcomed questions here.

It's one thing to say that people shouldn't go overboard in their comments - as some certainly have - but it's another to start tossing around labels like 'troll' or 'clueless'. That's not helping any.

Well said totally agree

BigDaddy
03-16-2015, 04:26 PM
do you know how long it takes to grab a few screenshots from your latest build and post em up? about 10 to 20 minutes. ( surely no one in marketing will stop you since its evident there is no one in marketing) For Atari and Area whatever to act as if posting screenies is some type of Herculean feat, just shows they have absolutely no confidence in their current product.
This whole fiasco has turned into a car wreck. You dont want to rubber neck but its damn near impossible not to.

This franchise deserves better than this.

killahboo
03-16-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm anticipating this site will close soon. There is no point in having it open if they're not going to share information.

I'm at the point where I think the game should be cancelled, it would save me checking for updates on the forum each day and being disappointing.

I have 2 children aged 6 and 8 who play RCT 3 religiously, the last thing they want is for it to become more childish. They would be more than happy with all the rides/coasters available within RCT3 but upgraded so the game does not rely so much on the grid system. RCT3 graphics aren't the best by today's standards but with all the settings turned up to max the game can still look really good. I'd be happy if the new game had the same graphics or slightly better graphics but with more options. Surely it doesn't take 10+ years to do this?

I'm excited to see the new game if it looks like the original screenshots, if the game doesn't look like that then please stop wasting our time and just tell us so we can move on... my boys and I are currently following Theme Parkitect, they love the clean look of the game and how easy it appears to create a functional park. It's still a little basic compared to what we was expecting to see from Atari and RCTW but at least they are providing a proper dev log we are excited to read every Monday.

Deuce
03-16-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm anticipating this site will close soon. There is no point in having it open if they're not going to share information.

I'm at the point where I think the game should be cancelled, it would save me checking for updates on the forum each day and being disappointing.

I have 2 children aged 6 and 8 who play RCT 3 religiously, the last thing they want is for it to become more childish. They would be more than happy with all the rides/coasters available within RCT3 but upgraded so the game does not rely so much on the grid system. RCT3 graphics aren't the best by today's standards but with all the settings turned up to max the game can still look really good. I'd be happy if the new game had the same graphics or slightly better graphics but with more options. Surely it doesn't take 10+ years to do this?

I'm excited to see the new game if it looks like the original screenshots, if the game doesn't look like that then please stop wasting our time and just tell us so we can move on... my boys and I are currently following Theme Parkitect, they love the clean look of the game and how easy it appears to create a functional park. It's still a little basic compared to what we was expecting to see from Atari and RCTW but at least they are providing a proper dev log we are excited to read every Monday.

I felt the same way ages ago when the first screen shots showed grid based assets and in particular paths. My first thought was 'that's a lazy decision 10 years after RCT3'. But I hung on thinking it could just work if the graphics were really good and the coaster editor superb.

Sadly it looks like either are not likely. And to be honest, when you think about it, the fact they chose to stick with grid in itself shows there was never any intent to make a truly ambitious modern game. RCT3 was a modern and revolutionary game in its day. For the follow up to achieve less is a failure by default.

kensulu
03-16-2015, 05:21 PM
It really must be bad on their end finding out what we saw on the trailer and the reaction that everyone has to it. Made the updated blog pretty much useless until they can decide how they are going to fix it to our liking. Personally I am glad they released it now so that they got feedback of it rather than later only to realize they are too far down the road to fix it. At least now it seems maybe the game has a chance to be impressive rather than going back to RCT3 days. I do wish they would provide us the truth and release more footage so we can comment on the state of the game as it is now so they can provide us a game we all wanted. I know Atari does not want to say anything but they have had over a week with this information and should share their thoughts to us at this point. Crossing fingers they have heard us loud and clear and communicate.

Deuce
03-16-2015, 05:27 PM
It really must be bad on their end finding out what we saw on the trailer and the reaction that everyone has to it. Made the updated blog pretty much useless until they can decide how they are going to fix it to our liking. Personally I am glad they released it now so that they got feedback of it rather than later only to realize they are too far down the road to fix it. At least now it seems maybe the game has a chance to be impressive rather than going back to RCT3 days. I do wish they would provide us the truth and release more footage so we can comment on the state of the game as it is now so they can provide us a game we all wanted. I know Atari does not want to say anything but they have had over a week with this information and should share their thoughts to us at this point. Crossing fingers they have heard us loud and clear and communicate.
I think they may have had an inkling their game wasn't going to please the community when they switched from a mainstream developer to a micro/mobile game developer. RCT3 was made by developers with many times the experience (in full pc games) and number of staff.

This game appears to have been a budget 'cash in on franchise' effort for a long time now.

RCTW1
03-16-2015, 06:01 PM
I like testing for Frontier, but they have not been able to reproduce another game like RCT3. They have tried, but it always seems to look to cartoony. Frontier is a perfect example of how developers are using there testers and focus groups to get ideals on future games. Also Frontier use a lot of ports. If you don't like RCTW you most likely won't like Coaster Park Tycoon.

Right now, I have more confidence in Frontier than Atari. And I'm saying this because I'm rather observant, and not just riding the bandwagon.

killahboo
03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
I think they may have had an inkling their game wasn't going to please the community when they switched from a mainstream developer to a micro/mobile game developer. RCT3 was made by developers with many times the experience (in full pc games) and number of staff.

This game appears to have been a budget 'cash in on franchise' effort for a long time now.

It would appear that is the case but I can't figure out their logic behind their actions.

Why try to make RCTW on such a small budget with so few devs? I know Atari are struggling at the moment but if that was their plan then wouldn't it be throwing what little money was invested, away? Nobody would buy that game if it didn't improve on RCT3. It doesn't make any sense at all. I think it'l take a lot of time and resources to create the RCTW game we have all been waiting for, Atari doesn't appear to have time or money on their hands :(

Deuce
03-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Right now, I have more confidence in Frontier than Atari. And I'm saying this because I'm rather observant, and not just riding the bandwagon.

And also because 2 years ago they released a game (zoo tycoon) that showed they know how to make a sim park game that looks 10 years newer than RCT3. Also their latest coaster and flat ride editor as seen in scream ride is bang upto date and silky smooth.

So yes, frontier vs Atari... Seriously!?

killahboo
03-16-2015, 06:14 PM

I have my doubts about Coaster Park Tycoon too. Frontier appear to have a very capable engine as shown with Zoo Tycoon on the Xbox One. Although the game looked great, it was a huge step backwards compared to Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2 in terms of a management game. So many things were removed from the original games in order to port the game over to consoles.

RCT1-3 got the balance between gameplay and graphics spot on at release. If anything RCT3 was way ahead of it's time and many of today's PC's struggle to play the game at decent framerates. If they wanted a quick cash in then it would probably be a lot easier for them to release another expansion for RCT3 rather then try to create a whole new game.

I'm hoping Frontier or Atari can find that magic balance again.

mrbigshot110
03-16-2015, 06:39 PM
do you know how long it takes to grab a few screenshots from your latest build and post em up? about 10 to 20 minutes. ( surely no one in marketing will stop you since its evident there is no one in marketing) For Atari and Area whatever to act as if posting screenies is some type of Herculean feat, just shows they have absolutely no confidence in their current product.
This whole fiasco has turned into a car wreck. You dont want to rubber neck but its damn near impossible not to.

This franchise deserves better than this.

True. I like the car wreck analogy. Who knows what's going on with them at the moment? However, at the end of the day there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately. They'll post when they post. We should just go on with our lives at this point. I'm just saddened by how this has devolved and I'm finding that perusing the forums daily for answers is only making me feel worse.

PixelPlayer
03-16-2015, 07:00 PM
I have my doubts about Coaster Park Tycoon too. Frontier appear to have a very capable engine as shown with Zoo Tycoon on the Xbox One. Although the game looked great, it was a huge step backwards compared to Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2 in terms of a management game. So many things were removed from the original games in order to port the game over to consoles.

RCT1-3 got the balance between gameplay and graphics spot on at release. If anything RCT3 was way ahead of it's time and many of today's PC's struggle to play the game at decent framerates. If they wanted a quick cash in then it would probably be a lot easier for them to release another expansion for RCT3 rather then try to create a whole new game.

I'm hoping Frontier or Atari can find that magic balance again.

Frontier only made the graphics. Microsoft games made the game play. Frontier had nothing to do with the features.

k1ng r4t
03-16-2015, 09:28 PM
The quick cash in was RCT4 Mobile.

My theory, now they're using the money from that to make RCTW

A lot of people always pay a lot of money for all of those MOBA type games. I don't know why, we'll probably never know, and it's unfortunate. But for each one, no matter how good or bad, you have a concentrated group who spend tons of money on it.

darkhorizon
03-16-2015, 10:12 PM
It would appear that is the case but I can't figure out their logic behind their actions.

Why try to make RCTW on such a small budget with so few devs? I know Atari are struggling at the moment but if that was their plan then wouldn't it be throwing what little money was invested, away? Nobody would buy that game if it didn't improve on RCT3. It doesn't make any sense at all. I think it'l take a lot of time and resources to create the RCTW game we have all been waiting for, Atari doesn't appear to have time or money on their hands :(

It's most likely because they know too dang well that a large group of people will buy the game, no matter the quality, simply because it bares the "Roller Coaster Tycoon" franchise name.

This goes for any franchise. I'm guilty of it. I did it with Sim City 2013. I read the reviews. I knew it sucked and it had major issues. But I forked out the $60 anyway, and guess what? Everyone was right! It was terrible.

I think the difference in this scenario is that Maxis/EA did a very good job at masking the flaws of the game to potential customers. I remember thinking "but the graphics are so pretty, the gameplay can't be that bad", or "but there's curved roads! I can deal with the small map size as long as I can build curvy roads". The first trailer for Sim City 2013 looked beautiful and got me very excited for the game, and rightfully so... it was/looked gorgeous.

The RCTW "trailer", on the other hand, failed to impress. I don't care if they say the screenshots are what the game actually looks like. I don't care if they say it was intended to demonstrate gameplay mechanics (which it didn't) and not graphical capabilities. The only thing they've said about the trailer that I believe is that it is pre-alpha footage...and only because I think that's the stage the game is currently in. Those screenshots are probably real too, but are probably from when Pipeworks was still working on the game. It certainly makes sense considering every single in-game screenshot they've released since Area 52 became developer, we had already seen while Pipeworks was developing. The one exception to this is the barnyard fire ride screenshot - not sure how this one fits into my theory, but it certainly looks different than the other screens. I remember asking about the graphics in that blog post and Mattlab had replied to me saying this:

Yes, not to worry the graphics are always being worked on and improved. We've gone a really long way from RCT3 to RCTW. If you play the two games you really notice the difference in polygons, graphics and animations that a screenshot really can't quite show always.

Well, apparently actual ingame footage can't quite show it either:

http://i.imgur.com/AGGiBlD.jpg

I certainly feel bad for Mattlab as well. I know he's only saying what he's being told he can/should say. Any frustration that I exert is directed at Atari, and not Mattlab. That being said, you certainly can see a difference between RCT3 and RCTW... and the in-game footage shows it crisp and clear: RCTW is loads worse than RCT3. Pre-alpha or not, it was implied that RCTW in it's current stage at the posting of Blog #3 was graphically better than RCT3. If that was true, why did the trailer not reflect this? This is what most of us mean when we say they are lying/being misleading!

It also explains the apparent lack of urgency to show the community that the game indeed does look better than what the trailer showed. How easy would it be to release a few screens (or even put together another trailer) of the game to calm everyone down? Certainly no marketing team would object to that if it meant their game would be viewed better by the gaming community?

Unfortunately it's most likely due to Area 52 scrambling to get the game up to par with the community standards. Honestly, I'm not even really upset with Area 52 - sure, they could very well destroy a franchise, but in the end they are only working with the skills that they have! If they specialize in mobile, multiplayer and online gaming, what nutjob would think they would be a good candidate to take over a single-player, simulation PC franchise like RCT? Well, none other than Atari. Nothing surprising there.

So as I sit here, working on some custom content for RCT3, typing out this long wall of text that is probably going to viewed as just another negative post, I have to ask myself... can this ever replace RCT3? Over the past 10 years the community has created hundreds upon hundreds of custom content items for RCT3. Considering RCTW so far seems to be "taking it safe" in terms of keeping the same old dated grid system and straight-only paths, and giving us oddly themed rides (seriously, what's with the big foot ride thing?), it just doesn't seem worth it. Very little innovation, nothing new... spline based coaster designing is nice, but not when it looks like those old K'nex roller coasters (did anyone else play with these?!). They need to give us (or atleast me) a reason to switch from RCT3 to RCTW. They already stated that building your own structures won't be available at launch...so by default I already have more opportunities to express my creativity in RCT3. Add the huge selection of custom content, and the fact that I honestly don't foresee the graphics for RCTW being all that impressive (feel free to prove me wrong Area 52), the choice is pretty clear for now.

Because of all the points listed above, I have a hard time being optimistic about this game, let alone being excited. Blog #5 really is going to be a deal breaker for me. Hoping for the best, I suppose.

Aaronroberts
03-17-2015, 01:15 AM
It's most likely because they know too dang well that a large group of people will buy the game, no matter the quality, simply because it bares the "Roller Coaster Tycoon" franchise name.

This goes for any franchise. I'm guilty of it. I did it with Sim City 2013. I read the reviews. I knew it sucked and it had major issues. But I forked out the $60 anyway, and guess what? Everyone was right! It was terrible.

I think the difference in this scenario is that Maxis/EA did a very good job at masking the flaws of the game to potential customers. I remember thinking "but the graphics are so pretty, the gameplay can't be that bad", or "but there's curved roads! I can deal with the small map size as long as I can build curvy roads". The first trailer for Sim City 2013 looked beautiful and got me very excited for the game, and rightfully so... it was/looked gorgeous.

The RCTW "trailer", on the other hand, failed to impress. I don't care if they say the screenshots are what the game actually looks like. I don't care if they say it was intended to demonstrate gameplay mechanics (which it didn't) and not graphical capabilities. The only thing they've said about the trailer that I believe is that it is pre-alpha footage...and only because I think that's the stage the game is currently in. Those screenshots are probably real too, but are probably from when Pipeworks was still working on the game. It certainly makes sense considering every single in-game screenshot they've released since Area 52 became developer, we had already seen while Pipeworks was developing. The one exception to this is the barnyard fire ride screenshot - not sure how this one fits into my theory, but it certainly looks different than the other screens. I remember asking about the graphics in that blog post and Mattlab had replied to me saying this:

I certainly feel bad for Mattlab as well. I know he's only saying what he's being told he can/should say. Any frustration that I exert is directed at Atari, and not Mattlab. That being said, you certainly can see a difference between RCT3 and RCTW... and the in-game footage shows it crisp and clear: RCTW is loads worse than RCT3. Pre-alpha or not, it was implied that RCTW in it's current stage at the posting of Blog #3 was graphically better than RCT3. If that was true, why did the trailer not reflect this? This is what most of us mean when we say they are lying/being misleading!

It also explains the apparent lack of urgency to show the community that the game indeed does look better than what the trailer showed. How easy would it be to release a few screens (or even put together another trailer) of the game to calm everyone down? Certainly no marketing team would object to that if it meant their game would be viewed better by the gaming community?

Unfortunately it's most likely due to Area 52 scrambling to get the game up to par with the community standards. Honestly, I'm not even really upset with Area 52 - sure, they could very well destroy a franchise, but in the end they are only working with the skills that they have! If they specialize in mobile, multiplayer and online gaming, what nutjob would think they would be a good candidate to take over a single-player, simulation PC franchise like RCT? Well, none other than Atari. Nothing surprising there.

So as I sit here, working on some custom content for RCT3, typing out this long wall of text that is probably going to viewed as just another negative post, I have to ask myself... can this ever replace RCT3? Over the past 10 years the community has created hundreds upon hundreds of custom content items for RCT3. Considering RCTW so far seems to be "taking it safe" in terms of keeping the same old dated grid system and straight-only paths, and giving us oddly themed rides (seriously, what's with the big foot ride thing?), it just doesn't seem worth it. Very little innovation, nothing new... spline based coaster designing is nice, but not when it looks like those old K'nex roller coasters (did anyone else play with these?!). They need to give us (or atleast me) a reason to switch from RCT3 to RCTW. They already stated that building your own structures won't be available at launch...so by default I already have more opportunities to express my creativity in RCT3. Add the huge selection of custom content, and the fact that I honestly don't foresee the graphics for RCTW being all that impressive (feel free to prove me wrong Area 52), the choice is pretty clear for now.

Because of all the points listed above, I have a hard time being optimistic about this game, let alone being excited. Blog #5 really is going to be a deal breaker for me. Hoping for the best, I suppose.

I do think that the peeps look better, but thats probably the only thing going for it, though I do think that the building they showed based on the concept art did look nice, so the game does have potential, as for other stuff, I still think the game is the wrong "style"

I don't like the whole idea of multiplayer, people can just upload and share their parks to Steam, theres no need for the whole Monorail linking parks in EVERY park, I know that if I want the game I REALLY DO NOT want the monorail "system"
I still feel as if the game is a port of the mobile game, the box artwork with the weird hills look extremely odd, and the whole construction platforms it showed when a ride was placed in the trailer reminded me of RCT4.
(Oh yeah, can you link your custom stuff, I'd love to take a look ;0)

RCTW1
03-17-2015, 03:52 AM
I agree Aaronroberts.

@conit
03-17-2015, 04:03 AM
The quick cash in was RCT4 Mobile.

My theory, now they're using the money from that to make RCTW

A lot of people always pay a lot of money for all of those MOBA type games.

I don't think you know what MOBA means :D

DMB1985
03-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Sadly I think what you have typed here is probably the case. There is no logic in claiming that the game is going to be AAA and then hiring a small studio with only about a dozen staff and no experience in this field. I don't even know why they felt the need to make this statement seeing as pretty much nobody expects a simulation/business management game to have AAA production values. Furthermore, Atari's failure to disclose any meaningful information is a strong indication that there is very little, maybe even nothing positive to show us.

If this really is a cash grab like I suspect then it really is quite sad. RCT has great potential to make a lot of money for Atari through multiple expansions and DLC but this will only be realised if the game is good and people want to continue playing it. If it sucks then it will be dead in the water after a few months. If it is a cash grab, it seems that nobody at Atari has the vision to see how great a game this really could be.

Right now I come to this forum more in hope than anything. I want RCTW to be good, but realistically I suspect that it is far more likely to be crap.

k1ng r4t
03-17-2015, 11:23 AM
I don't think you know what MOBA means :D

LOL! You're right. It was late and I'd had a few drinks. I meant Mobage. And I know that isn't all F2P transaction games, I think I was using it as a blanket reference since I said RCT4 and they have like 100 of those games.

But yeah, all of those micro transaction games is what I really meant.

chester016
03-17-2015, 12:19 PM
So when is this blog post coming? Its closing in on 3 weeks since the last one. Initially you promised us a blog the following week. A bit rediculous Atari, dont you think?

Wabigbear
03-17-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't know, but I imagine it will be the end of the week like the other blogs, they likely are using every bit of time getting their ducks lined up before saying anything.

k1ng r4t
03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
I agree, it can't be too much longer. And someone else pointed out they usually come in the evening, so maybe tonight...

RCTW1
03-17-2015, 01:05 PM
I agree, it can't be too much longer. And someone else pointed out they usually come in the evening, so maybe tonight...

Don't count on it being tonight. It will most likely be Friday. Just being realistic, that's all.

VACkillers
03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
hard to believe people are still talking about this really... There is no time limit on when the next dev blog will be released. Plain and simple, he will write one and post it, whenever he gets a confirmation of everything that he wants to write about. That is it, cut and dry. It might next week, it might be this week, or could be in an April blog. Speculating and talking about it really doesn't make it come any faster.

Knobs
03-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Why do i still come here i ask myself.
Maybe because the little kid in me doesn't want this to be a failure....

I keep my eyes open.

EmSay
03-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Why do i still come here i ask myself.
Maybe because the little kid in me doesn't want this to be a failure....

I keep my eyes open.

We are two my friend. (and surely more.) =)

Knobs
03-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Wow, rct means so much for people. Its pretty awesome to see ;) i like you guys. Fellow themepark geeks with the fear of dying with the franchise. Anyway it was a very decent ride from 1 to 3. Those years of pure creative joy are mine forever,

Sir Isaac
03-17-2015, 10:22 PM
hard to believe people are still talking about this really... There is no time limit on when the next dev blog will be released. Plain and simple, he will write one and post it, whenever he gets a confirmation of everything that he wants to write about. That is it, cut and dry. It might next week, it might be this week, or could be in an April blog. Speculating and talking about it really doesn't make it come any faster.

Actually...

He did kind of make a promise two weeks ago... TWICE. So yeah... I'm wondering where that blog post is as well.

tycoon
03-18-2015, 02:14 AM
this is really getting rather ridiculous... short of quoting specific posts / promises / timelines, etc...

you guys said you were so busy with gdc, and lots of information would be coming out... crap came out in form of the trailer, and then 'oh early next week' we'll clarify... with late that week clarifying 'oh we're waiting on specific information'. i'll re-affirm you are the publisher of the game - you should have the answers, and if you can't get them, then we have a serious question about the capacity to develop this game...

now it's mid the next week... and still nothing? and mattlab, while i really appreciate you being the conduit for ANY communication at this point, you haven't been on since 3/13 at the time of this posting (that's 5 day ago)...

this is all just really disappointing... i just wanted to express that... because this is very bad, and someone has to say it...

for the love of whatever, you're losing the people who are actually interested in this game... and it's making me question whether atari / area 52 (not pointing fingers in either direction. frankly at this point i could point at both) are capable of entering contacts into my iphone... let alone sending text messages or emails, as clearly nobody is communicating anything at all...

many of the 'fires' on the forums have 'burned out' in the wake of that godawful trailer, but in large part i think it's because of that trailer and weeks now of absolutely no communication, that you are losing your captive audience. you really should consider fixing that and posting something... this is absurd.

James
03-18-2015, 03:19 AM
The word disappointing doesn't even seem to cut it anymore.

Knobs
03-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Please give us some info !!!

LOL :

Mattlab has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

CoasterKing84
03-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Well..............

jkay1993
03-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Matt where is the blog :mad::mad:

Bionic
03-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Seems like the doors of communication only open in one direction.

kensulu
03-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Silence is definitely letting us know they are changing direction with how the game looks so far with the reaction. Would be nice to confirm it with them and we help with feedback.

RCTW1
03-18-2015, 11:17 AM
"this is really getting rather ridiculous... short of quoting specific posts / promises / timelines, etc...

you guys said you were so busy with gdc, and lots of information would be coming out... crap came out in form of the trailer, and then 'oh early next week' we'll clarify... with late that week clarifying 'oh we're waiting on specific information'. i'll re-affirm you are the publisher of the game - you should have the answers, and if you can't get them, then we have a serious question about the capacity to develop this game...

now it's mid the next week... and still nothing? and mattlab, while i really appreciate you being the conduit for ANY communication at this point, you haven't been on since 3/13 at the time of this posting (that's 5 day ago)...

this is all just really disappointing... i just wanted to express that... because this is very bad, and someone has to say it...

for the love of whatever, you're losing the people who are actually interested in this game... and it's making me question whether atari / area 52 (not pointing fingers in either direction. frankly at this point i could point at both) are capable of entering contacts into my iphone... let alone sending text messages or emails, as clearly nobody is communicating anything at all...

many of the 'fires' on the forums have 'burned out' in the wake of that godawful trailer, but in large part i think it's because of that trailer and weeks now of absolutely no communication, that you are losing your captive audience. you really should consider fixing that and posting something... this is absurd."

Very well said, tycoon.

ddrplaya4638
03-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Matt... or anybody else,

Just come on once a day and just talk with us let us know what's being worked on today. I think the biggest thing that's wrong here is we as a community feel like our communication doesn't matter.

I know you all are working hard, I couldn't do what you are doing. The fact that nobody from Atari or Area 52 other then you isn't on here is troubling to us. We all would just like someone to stop in and say something.

" Hey RCT fans! We are like busy bee's today working to get our peeps and cotton candy just right. We were messing around with the coaster builder today and thought we would show a quick screen shot to you. What should we name our coaster? "

We would all love to be involved with this game and the developers.

Hanazakari86
03-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I think it will be on Friday 20th or 27
But I hope earlier:)

Sir Isaac
03-18-2015, 01:50 PM
This should not be the case. They're making promises they can't keep. My faith in this game is hanging by a thread. They went about marketing this game all wrong. They should've waited until they had a lot of FINISHED content to show off. They shouldn't be surprised by the negative feedback, bashing, and hate. They brought it upon themselves; and I don't understand why an RCT fan would want to defend Atari, but I have encountered quite a few.

Kmorreison
03-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Sorry but that sucks so much :S im tristly on see that on roller coaster... but really sucks... and now delete that msg.

sdanwolf
03-18-2015, 08:20 PM
I think Mattlab has broken up with us but doesn't want to tell us lol I hope they didn't can the dude... We'll get a new blog post "Hello guys I am Greglab! I'm your all's new dev blog manager :D......No Greg... no one wants you here.... We just want Matt to talk to us.

Aaronroberts
03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Matt where is the blog :mad::mad:

more like where is Matt?

syfy2k4
03-18-2015, 08:46 PM
ok, truth time.

there is no actual game.

unknowingly, we have all been part of some twisted Psychological Experiment done with the intent of testing the patience limits of a forum full of one games fans. they chose the RCT franchise, and it's fans, due to their impressive dedication to the game after such a long time since the last non-mobile release.

see, first they dispatch the rumors to whet peoples appetites. then they create a twitter account and give us a sample trailer/teaser full of hype. then they create this forum, and this is where the experiment truly kicks into gear. they send in someone to make vague, empty promises about listening to the fans and blah blah blah...then they start the Dev Blogs, to see how much marketing babble the "fanboys" are willing to believe and dispense to other threads as "truth".

now we get to the anger/denial/acceptance phase of the testing, which kicked into high gear when they released that last trailer. our responses to that have undoubtedly been interesting to the researchers involved, as has the continued "truth spreading" of the "fanboys" who continue to believe the hype and drink gallons of "Marketing Kool Aid"

the question we must now deal with, is what part of this project are they going to release on us next as they continue the study. will they trigger a massive forum wide flame war? will they release a trailer full of promise, then categorically deny that everything seen in it will actually be in the game at release? or will they veer into unknown regions and truly surprise us?

only time will tell. may your Deity of choice help us all as we further experience this.

(the use of "fanboy" is a generic term and is not meant to degrade or humiliate any segment of the forums membership)

sanctus
03-18-2015, 08:58 PM
I havent't been online at this for a while, can someone resume something new to me? I'm asking this just because it's tiring to look at this page and don't see nothing interesting for more than 3 weeks sorry

Sir Isaac
03-18-2015, 09:45 PM
^ There is nothing new. If they were smart, they'd give a huge update on that blog on Friday. This game is looking to bomb badly and it hasnt even had a demo release yet.

jkay1993
03-18-2015, 10:28 PM
more like where is Matt?

ha ha yeah

Knobs
03-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Aaaaaargh.

crick
03-19-2015, 12:23 PM
It is slowly getting ridiculous.

BigDaddy
03-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Heck its like watching a class in how "not to develop and market a game 101".

Joe Android
03-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Mattlab is online now...

Steelbound
03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
he is creating a thread right now

Knobs
03-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Haha it's there ;)
Now we have a new topic to chat in ;)
https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?2554-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Production-Blog-5

Please give them some slack, they kinda listened to us. They redoing the whole thing lol.
Awesome.

RCTW1
03-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Haha it's there ;)
Now we have a new topic to chat in ;)
https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?2554-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Production-Blog-5

Please give them some slack, they kinda listened to us. They redoing the whole thing lol.
Awesome.

Maybe so, but keep an eye open. Don't jump in too fast.