PDA

View Full Version : The success of Cities Skylines - A wakeup call?

alborada
03-13-2015, 11:31 AM
So Cities Skylines has come out and is selling extremely well. Many people are commenting on how the game caters to Simcity fans better than Simcity itself- in other words, instead of aiming the game towards new demographics, giving us features nobody asked for and screwing up fundamental aspects of the game like Maxis, Colossal Order understood the desires of those who had loyalty bought into the franchise for years and delivered exactly what many of them had been waiting for. Result: massive success.
Now I really hope Atari have paid attention to this. The Colossal Order team is only 15 people strong, and I don't think the budget was particularly big- the important point is that THEY UNDERSTOOD THE FRANCHISE and what makes it great.
The teaser trailer for RCTW makes me doubt that either the marketing team or the developers here understand the franchise. "UNLIMITED RIDES!!!" it proclaims. I've played over 1000 hours on RCT1,2,3, and that's not something I've ever considered an issue. "UNLIMITED BUILDING!!" Don't see anything like building tools in the trailer, all the buildings look like pre-fabs.. As everyone has said 100 times, the park layout is seemingly random and the coaster looks like ass. Look at the video @ 15 seconds in. The track sections are seemingly welded together so that wheels wouldn't even be able to pass over it- have these designers ever even looked at a rollercoaster before? Did they look at the finished trailer and not notice the glaring differences between Goliath and the lame piece of metal tubing they had created?

MattZ
03-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Well said. This game is going to be a disaster of epic proportions. They obviously did not listen to ANY of the feedback and suggestions posted on this forum or the community. I mean the footage we saw was embarrassingly bad.

I'm hoping that Frontier's Coaster Park Tycoon can get it right

CreamyBeef
03-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Yup, this game is gonna fail. Coaster Park Tycoon is coming in 2016 though, the TRUE successor to RCT3.

MR.sugar
03-13-2015, 01:01 PM
The worst part of it is that they were gathering the feedback waaaay before the announcement, at least like 1-2 years ago? I remember they directly asked what we would like to see in the upcoming RCT game. Bscly all the feedback was asking for more realism, curved paths etc. And I wouldn't be afraid to say they just ignored like 95% of this feedback anyway and even went with completely opposite direction.

RCTW1
03-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Yep, I believe that I'm just going to wait for Coaster Park Tycoon instead. I like Frontier better anyway. Goodbye Atari....