PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy This?

abletudu
03-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgAhPffWsM would you buy RCTW?

Before I saw this, even though I like another game in Early Access now, I was mildly interested. However after viewing such a terrible showing of what the game play is supposed to be like I did a quick double take and an abrupt about face. Some of the graphics is far worse than RCT3, a game released 11 years ago.

First they transition from a real coaster to something that looks like it came out of the old Saturday cartoons, then you have a monorail that stops so suddenly in the station that everybody on board would probably have to go to the hospital or morgue. Then you have log rollers on some greyish blue colored goop that I guess is their idea of what water looks like. Water in RCT3 looked way better:

RCTW -

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z416/abletudu/RCTW%20water_zpssa241rag.jpg

RCT3 -

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z416/abletudu/RCT3%20Water%20better_zpsjgpj8myh.jpg

The coasters are terrible with no banking except when they show a video clip of a real coaster, and transition to the in game coaster with ugly coaster supports, you have a flat ride totally engulfed by blazing fire, Then a coaster train going off the rails. I guess that last bit is Ok if your aim is to kill off your peeps and they want to commit suicide. It looks like the whole game is geared towards killing the peeps in as many ways as possible. If you like killing peeps then this game is for you.

I guess Atari had a meeting with Area52 and the topic was "How can we mess up our game and kill off the peeps"

CoasterNazi666
03-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Don't be so negative this game can still pull through, your judging a video that isn't what the games stage is currently at. Hopefully things will become clearer tomorrow

abletudu
03-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Don't be so negative this game can still pull through, your judging a video that isn't what the games stage is currently at. Hopefully things will become clearer tomorrow

If this is not what the game stage is at, why release it as a gameplay video only 4 days ago?

CoasterNazi666
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure that's what we were talking about in my post, their communication is very odd and excruciating at the moment

abletudu
03-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Excruciating is an understatment!

CoasterNazi666
03-09-2015, 06:54 PM
I sit here every night refreshing the forums for an update and there never is, it's really torturing XD

abletudu
03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm glad I don't do that, I couldn't stand the pain, lol!

0BobTheJanitor
03-09-2015, 07:13 PM
I sit here every night refreshing the forums for an update and there never is, it's really torturing XD

Step 1: Buy second screen.
Step 2: Install RefreshMonkey chrome plugin.
Step 3: Open chrome on second screen.
Step 4: Set page to auto-refresh.

Then relax. :cool:

Nagta
03-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Won't buy it with a dedicated fan-mind. I'll judge by the reviews and responses from the media and majority, than I will consider

a-can-o-beans
03-09-2015, 09:45 PM
As of now No i wouldn't. Im hopeful but that's about it... im just glad we can be negative on these forums and have our voices heard. there is a theme park game already out that has moderators that will ban you and call you a troll for having some concerns...

TheCoasterGOd3
03-09-2015, 09:46 PM
As of now No i wouldn't. Im hopeful but that's about it... im just glad we can be negative on these forums and have our voices heard. there is a theme park game already out that has moderators that will ban you and call you a troll for having some concerns...

Y'mean Theme Park Studio?

abletudu
03-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Only if you bash the game with no constructive suggestions or spamming for other games or neglect to follow the rules.

a-can-o-beans
03-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Only if you bash the game with no constructive suggestions or spamming for other games or neglect to follow the rules.

don't make me laugh. the mods there are f'd up. i stay away from the tps forums now. i never break rules or troll. i post a concern and get banned for having an opinion. but at least TPS doesnt look like complete ****.

coaster6
03-09-2015, 10:15 PM
don't make me laugh. the mods there are f'd up. i stay away from the tps forums now. i never break rules or troll. i post a concern and get banned for having an opinion. but at least TPS doesnt look like complete ****. although TPS looks good, I certainly agree that they're even more utterly odd than over here..

a-can-o-beans
03-09-2015, 10:23 PM
although TPS looks good, I certainly agree that they're even more utterly odd than over here..

rudest mods i have ever had to pleasure of talking to... but at least they communicate

Noelchan
03-10-2015, 02:07 AM
No, I will not.
It's over 20 days remaining until April fools day and the 'gameplay reveal teaser' was not a joke.
Atari and Area 52 are ruining RCT franchise and I'm very disappointed.
They must say something soon.

Deuce
03-10-2015, 05:52 AM

That's not true at all. You threatened to ban me for no other reason than me having a different opinion to you about an aspect of the game. You said the forum rules say 'no arguing with mods'. That rule is in place to stop people arguing with forum staff about forum moderation decisions. Not to give ppl with communistic 'you will agree with me or I shall silence you' tendencies the upper hand.

As a result, I haven't been back since except just now to see how busy the forum is. It's absolutely dead. Every other coaster game forum out there has at least one thread mentioning the attitude of the mods on TPS boards.

In reality all the other mods were fine, but you... Your actually becoming quite famous for being over defensive, unfair and militant in your determination to allow people to speak only if it's in line with 'the cause'.

Please accept this as constructive criticism. I was one of the few remaining regular posters on TPS so it's worth you knowing why I gave up. And remember our last little disagreement on TPS was due to me being far less critical than you have been in this thread.

Wabigbear
03-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Asking a simple question can be considered "bashing" at certain sites. In many ways it reminds me of a cult, but no need to outline those ways here.

I'll echo the observation that some people are known for being quite critical elsewhere, up to and including accusations of Atari "attending as spectators to see what other things they can rip off or sabotage, you know espionage."

Luckily the other site that was posted on doesn't engage in wholesale censoring of posts for 'bashing with no constructive suggestions"...but the hypocrisy is duly noted by many.

Helena
03-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Based on the trailer: nope.
I am sorry.

Deuce
03-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Asking a simple question can be considered "bashing" at certain sites. In many ways it reminds me of a cult, but no need to outline those ways here.

I'll echo the observation that some people are known for being quite critical elsewhere, up to and including accusations of Atari "attending as spectators to see what other things they can rip off or sabotage, you know espionage."

Luckily the other site that was posted on doesn't engage in wholesale censoring of posts for 'bashing with no constructive suggestions"...but the hypocrisy is duly noted by many.

I think it's fair to say some mods (not most) do misinterprete the purpose of the power they have. In general when you use any elevated position to silence another persons point of view, so long as the point of view is not made in an offensive way, does have communist undertones to it.

But that's not the big issue I have with over zealous moderation. The biggest issue is that some forums are kept so clean of people indentified as 'critical' that the mods actually end up blocking valuable real world feedback from the people making the game. Which may help make for a peaceful and positive forum (if a bit quiet!) but won't do any good at all when the game launches and the public reaction, which cannot be moderated, is poor.

Wabigbear
03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I think it's fair to say some mods (not most) do misinterprete the purpose of the power they have. In general when you use any elevated position to silence another persons point of view, so long as the point of view is not made in an offensive way, does have communist undertones to it.

But that's not the big issue I have with over zealous moderation. The biggest issue is that some forums are kept so clean of people indentified as 'critical' that the mods actually end up blocking valuable real world feedback from the people making the game. Which may help make for a peaceful and positive forum (if a bit quiet!) but won't do any good at all when the game launches and the public reaction, which cannot be moderated, is poor.

Well said and very much agree with you.

I'd also commend the mods here (bc for one) for having a really light touch moderating during a difficult time, and allowed feedback from all points of view, no matter how critical. I also appreciate the fact that Atari has allowed them to do their job.

Deuce
03-10-2015, 10:57 AM
I think Atati have probably asked mods to do nothing much until they have come up with an overall crisis management strategy to deal with reaction to the trailer :)

And of course deleting the negative threads would leave a week left long gap in the forum...

But you're right. These boards are lightly moderated. I saw a thread closed down earlier because it got a bit personal, but as for the product itself, they seem tolerant of all views so long as they are explained well enough to provide worthwhile feedback to Atari.

At work I always embrace criticism when we're looking at a new product. I don't care if it's polite criticism or over the top dramatic criticism. Just the more the better. Gives is the opportunity to address the problems BEFORE asking people to pay for the product! So I've never understood why people put a divide between 'product bashing' and 'constructive criticism'. If someone is moved to 'bash' your product then it's useful to work out why it pi**ed them off so much lol

a-can-o-beans
03-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Just in case you need proof of TPS mod abuse.... http://postimg.org/image/vngd8bd0b/

abletudu
03-10-2015, 11:33 AM
How about staying on topic?

a-can-o-beans
03-10-2015, 11:37 AM
How about staying on topic?

fair enough. but better get out what NEEDED to be said. so to answer your question. no i wont be buying yet. game looks like something from 2005 and doesn't look like a true successor to rct3. thankfully there are other options for theme park games available and still in development

Deuce
03-10-2015, 12:00 PM
fair enough. but better get out what NEEDED to be said. so to answer your question. no i wont be buying yet. game looks like something from 2005 and doesn't look like a true successor to rct3. thankfully there are other options for theme park games available and still in development

I have to say I was very relieved to learn Frontier are on the job. TPS have shown what the technology is capable of in 2010 (I would say 2015 but under strain their engine starts to buckle a little and that's ahead of it being possible to build a complete and dynamic working park). The big hurdle for TPS is that it's literally theme park design with no sort of 'sim' element. You can build literally whatever you want without being bound by reality or the simple requirment to keep park visitors happy and get some level of feedback. Then we have RCTW which will probably be an 'OK' game/sim but without the modern graphics and customisation we hoped for. Even if they fix all the current stuff in the trailer there is no getting away from the fact they have stuck with wacky theming, grid locked design and right angle paths.

Luckily Frontier have so much experience in sim games and in particular RCT3 that they are a pretty safe bet at making a good game. Also they have shown where their coaster AND flat ride tech is at so far which is great. They also made the most recent zoo tycoon which has fully curved paths etc!! So all in all, lots has happened in last 12 months across various companies but it's looking like Frontier will join the party late, but with the best and most complete offering.

Chazzagm93
03-10-2015, 12:07 PM
I have to say I was very relieved to learn Frontier are on the job. TPS have shown what the technology is capable of in 2010 (I would say 2015 but under strain their engine starts to buckle a little and that's ahead of it being possible to build a complete and dynamic working park). The big hurdle for TPS is that it's literally theme park design with no sort of 'sim' element. You can build literally whatever you want without being bound by reality or the simple requirment to keep park visitors happy and get some level of feedback. Then we have RCTW which will probably be an 'OK' game/sim but without the modern graphics and customisation we hoped for. Even if they fix all the current stuff in the trailer there is no getting away from the fact they have stuck with wacky theming, grid locked design and right angle paths.

Luckily Frontier have so much experience in sim games and in particular RCT3 that they are a pretty safe bet at making a good game. Also they have shown where their coaster AND flat ride tech is at so far which is great. They also made the most recent zoo tycoon which has fully curved paths etc!! So all in all, lots has happened in last 12 months across various companies but it's looking like Frontier will join the party late, but with the best and most complete offering.

I have good faith in Frontier I recon they will produce a really good game.

Deuce
03-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Just in case you need proof of TPS mod abuse.... http://postimg.org/image/vngd8bd0b/

Probably best not to post other forum stuff on here! I understand if you're frustrated about it, I know a lot of people are a bit wound up feeling their views and opinions get quashed, especially after effectively paying to be an early access tester and give feedback. But at the end of the day it's their game, their forum and their call.

I think it has had quite a negative effect - the more exciting and complete the game gets the less people seem to actually be talking about it. Just my observation.

a-can-o-beans
03-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Probably best not to post other forum stuff on here! I understand if your frustrated about it, I know a lot of people are a bit wound up feeling their views and opinions get quashed, especially after effectively paying to be an early access tester and give feedback. But at the end of the day it's their game, their forum and their call.

I think it has had quite a negative effect - the more exciting and complete the game gets the less people seem to actually be talking about it. Just my observation.

i agree with you. i just needed to get it off my chest. i cant do it on TPS forums. but i wont say anymore about it on this thread.

The Stig
03-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Hey Guys. Did you see the new trailer?

https://imgflip.com/readImage?iid=61530

Deuce
03-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Hey Guys. Did you see the new trailer?

https://imgflip.com/readImage?iid=61530

Nice :)

I've been seriously thinking of remaking the actual trailer using RCT3 to build what they did, except I would make it look better.

I'm pretty sure the first person to do this will rack up as many youtube views as the official trailer did!

I think if I get round to it I'll leave in all the pov stuff and just change the in game bits to RCT3. Shouldn't take too long to recreate the 'parks' they made for the actual trailer :rolleyes:

imiha
03-10-2015, 01:42 PM
I would do it in a heartbeat if I had the time. But university is a b****!