PDA

View Full Version : First post, couldn't stay silent anymore.

BRUXXUS
03-07-2015, 03:18 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Not that it really matters, but I feel like I had to at least throw in my thoughts and feelings.

Like everyone here, I'm a long time fan and RTC player. About a month ago I went on a RTC3 binge and it made me remember how much I loved the games. I saw a news post about these forums opening and I've been following them since.

I knew the studio was in trouble because of how secretive and tight lipped they were being about progress and showing content. Let's be honest, the only companies that can get away with keeping their stuff a secret till launch is Valve and Apple.

I play a lot of Early Access games on Steam and have seen it done well and also super poorly. Even though this game isn't out, the same concepts can be used. Any dev that uses early access that doesn't communicate or ignore their fans and suggestions end up failing while the best early access games I have played are ones where the devs are crystal clear, respond to their community, communicate often, and don't go silent then drop a horrible update without warning. The games/studios that stand out as the best about communication are Facepunch/Rust, (fantastic dev blog, they admit mistakes, explain how they will fix them, lay out future plans and describe where their time was spent between posts), Keen Software House/Space Engineers, Endnight Games/The Forest, and The Fun Pimps/7 Days to Die.

I actually just noticed that all those are open world/sandbox games too, so it might be worth checking out what they're doing and why it works. Now, I also understand that you're part of a huge corporation with a ton of restrictions and limitations on what you can share, but at this point you have nothing to lose.

My last concerns are just a bit of nagging. The coasters in the teaser looked like they were designed by someone who's never actually seen a coaster in real life, which is concerning. Also, the weird connectors between track pieces? You guys do understand how a roller coaster works, right? The track rails need to be smooth... yeah? I'm hoping that those were just part of the development process. Why not find some of the most dedicated fans and modders in the community and offer to fly them out to consult for a few days? I bet they'd take the offer in a heartbeat, even if they weren't getting paid. Most have already put hundreds or thousands of hours into the games without making a penny.

So... that's what I'm thinking and how I'm feeling after what I've seen to this point. I do appreciate the intentions of these forums and the blog updates, but so far they seem to have been implemented just for the reason of, "that's what developers do now", not for why they can be helpful.

Well, this was way longer than I expected, but I hope it can offer some insight from at least one fan.

B

gabbermanNL
03-07-2015, 03:23 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Not that it really matters, but I feel like I had to at least throw in my thoughts and feelings.

Like everyone here, I'm a long time fan and RTC player. About a month ago I went on a RTC3 binge and it made me remember how much I loved the games. I saw a news post about these forums opening and I've been following them since.

I knew the studio was in trouble because of how secretive and tight lipped they were being about progress and showing content. Let's be honest, the only companies that can get away with keeping their stuff a secret till launch is Valve and Apple.

I play a lot of Early Access games on Steam and have seen it done well and also super poorly. Even though this game isn't out, the same concepts can be used. Any dev that uses early access that doesn't communicate or ignore their fans and suggestions end up failing while the best early access games I have played are ones where the devs are crystal clear, respond to their community, communicate often, and don't go silent then drop a horrible update without warning. The games/studios that stand out as the best about communication are Facepunch/Rust, (fantastic dev blog, they admit mistakes, explain how they will fix them, lay out future plans and describe where their time was spent between posts), Keen Software House/Space Engineers, Endnight Games/The Forest, and The Fun Pimps/7 Days to Die.

I actually just noticed that all those are open world/sandbox games too, so it might be worth checking out what they're doing and why it works. Now, I also understand that you're part of a huge corporation with a ton of restrictions and limitations on what you can share, but at this point you have nothing to lose.

My last concerns are just a bit of nagging. The coasters in the teaser looked like they were designed by someone who's never actually seen a coaster in real life, which is concerning. Also, the weird connectors between track pieces? You guys do understand how a roller coaster works, right? The track rails need to be smooth... yeah? I'm hoping that those were just part of the development process. Why not find some of the most dedicated fans and modders in the community and offer to fly them out to consult for a few days? I bet they'd take the offer in a heartbeat, even if they weren't getting paid. Most have already put hundreds or thousands of hours into the games without making a penny.

So... that's what I'm thinking and how I'm feeling after what I've seen to this point. I do appreciate the intentions of these forums and the blog updates, but so far they seem to have been implemented just for the reason of, "that's what developers do now", not for why they can be helpful.

Well, this was way longer than I expected, but I hope it can offer some insight from at least one fan.

B

From the unofficial facebook page of RCTW:

Unofficial: RollerCoaster Tycoon World

We just had a tip off that the trailer is over a year old and was also shown to the press at PAX 2014... Why Atari would show us the trailer now is beyond us... This means that there is still hope! Don't be disappointed just yet until we have more recent updated trailer and screens!

:D

BRUXXUS
03-07-2015, 03:41 AM
Hoping most of the work since then has been behind the scenes and engine stuff. If that's the case I can maybe understand why they'd show that teaser. Thousands of lines of code aren't too exciting to most people, lol.

I probably would have rather not shown anything than that, though. Definitely hasn't turned out to be a good move so far.

SarcasmFairy
03-07-2015, 03:51 AM
Why would they show it though if it was a year old? Negative hype is still hype? Haha I don't understand the industry anymore