PDA

View Full Version : What damage has been done today?

Deuce
03-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Clearly the trailer has done a huge amount of damage today. Even if by some miracle it all gets fixed the damage is already done.

RCT was massive hit, as was rct2 and rct3 has lasted 10 years and is still played by more people than just about any other 10 year old game.

It is also one of the last pc only (for the main games...) franchises in existence. The last franchise that was killed off before this was command and conquer, which went the same way, shifting between devs until eventually the community got so upset at the direction the publisher simply canned the whole project.

So today the same has likely happened. Atari are so cash strapped they're probably going to actually release something and sell quite a few copies. But it's so obviously not going to break new ground and won't be a game worthy of the RCT badge even if it gets it by default.

So maybe apart from bashing the game, now is a good time to lament the destruction of something that was once really, really good.

I think today pretty much put the nail in the RCT coffin.

NickNem
03-06-2015, 07:54 PM
The worst thing is - this WILL definitely be the last Rollercoaster tycoon game...the good name of the series is blown away. Fans get over a weak handheld game, also they can (at least) accept a really sh**y free2play mobile version (for whom you have to pay ;) ) - even if you call it Rollercoater Tycoon 4 - but an unbelievable trashy PC version, which was hyped all over...no, sorry.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 08:01 PM
That's how I feel. Yes the other games don't really matter, and are probably enough for some mobile gamers.

But this game was aimed squarely at RCT3 players and it's an absolute joke.

At least it's so bad I've spent a good part of today laughing at various parts of the trailer. The more you watch it the more failure you see :)

Thompso
03-06-2015, 08:02 PM
This makes me doubt Frontier with CPT, because I don't want to get my hopes up. As of now it seems Frontier has no competition.

JaydenIrwin
03-06-2015, 08:09 PM
I couldn't agree more! I was so excited with the first trailer, then I see this! It's aweful!! The models are low quality, the shadows are low quality, and have you seen the frame rate when the scaffolding is coming off the structures!! RCTW team, you are starting to go in a very scary direction. This is not at all to RCT franchise standards. :(

Deuce
03-06-2015, 08:17 PM
This makes me doubt Frontier with CPT, because I don't want to get my hopes up. As of now it seems Frontier has no competition.

But at least they have pedigree with these games.

Also if the graphics for their game are as good as zoo tycoon which they made a few years back for Xbox, then it's already way ahead of RCTW. And if their coaster and flat ride buider is as good as in scream ride, then it's going to be very good indeed.

It's a shame there won't be a big competition. But I like frontier and they already have all the building blocks to make an excellent theme park game.

There is one other, massive difference between Atari and frontier too. Atari were always going to milk the RCT franchise as they need the cash and own the franchise. But frontier could make any game, yet they chose to make a theme park game. Why would they choose to do that if they didn't think they could do a good job?

wesleypacman
03-06-2015, 08:18 PM
atari had the chance to redeem themselves. it wouldnt even be that hard to create a good RCT, just give good graphics and supply us with the right tools. so far it just look likes a theme park world revival. they had their chance, the dev blogs promised so much. At least we have a handful of developers racing to release the next great theme park game next year

NickNem
03-06-2015, 08:21 PM
At least it's so bad I've spent a good part of today laughing at various parts of the trailer. The more you watch it the more failure you see :)

Yes...it's funny - by all means. Unintentional of course, but it's funny. It isn't that hard to make a good trailer out of a bad game...i mean, you can manipulate the audience - build something in a way, so it looks better than it is...but what they did is the quiete opposite. They show you a good looking coaster ride and than fade over to the cheapest ingame-rollercoaster possible...it looks like plastic. The footpaths are wildly mixed without caring about how it looks. Flat rides plopped all around without a sense for aesthetics (maybe every ride we'll have in the game), the layout of the rollercoaster is the worst I've ever seen. No rollercoaster looks like this - none. Even as an 8 year old child I built better ones with Rollercoaster tycoon back in 1999 (and I haven't ride a rollercoaster back then. There were no physics - for what we see in the trailer. Rides - that look so stupid (the one in the ball - for only one person). And the contrast of mixed footage between the real rollercoaster and the RCT-one is extreme...and in the end we see a "impressed peep" that vomits - I don't get it :D but yeah, I really laughed out loud the second time I saw the trailer

Deuce
03-06-2015, 08:23 PM
A handful? I think frontier alone has 10 developers for every 1 at area52! So far as I can work out area52 make micro games for mobile - God knows how they ended up with RCT!?

justinm_
03-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I think it must have been a money thing for atari. Frontier have more experience than anyone at coaster/theme park games and i think they are likely to do a decent job of CPT considering they have been fairly successful if not very successful in everything theme park related that they've made. I also think it will be good for them to know that they don't have the pressure of trying to build an RCT because then there would be big expectations from everyone whereas they are starting their own franchise and can go in whatever direction they feel necessary without worrying about 'living up to' previous titles in their series.