PDA

View Full Version : Help me compile the information.

SweenerDog
03-06-2015, 04:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xaOKU0bZs4

Literally a day before the release of the trailer I had released this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xaOKU0bZs4) video that analyzing the things Mattlab talked about in the first dev blog post. Try to ignore the whole "show" part of it. That's not the point of this thread. I'm not trying to self promote or anything.

What this trailer has been for me is a huge wake up call to how much a marketing scheme the dev blogs really are. And the video I made was written with high trust in Atari's honesty. I'm just as worried and slightly pissed off as the rest of you and I want to get to the bottom of where he hell the REAL game footage is. I personally don't believe that the trailer we saw was recent AT ALL.

Instead of talking about what the dev blogs are saying, I want to talk about what the dev blogs aren't saying.

I've constructed a really shaky theory of what is really going on.

1.) Something is up. I think they REALLY needed to get a trailer out. JMR's comic (http://i.imgur.com/YeRjoVk.png) is a great representation of what might of happened. So they just pulled this out of their back pocket when they couldn't come up with anything from the actual game.

2.) This. (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?2285-The-trailer-was-from-August-last-year!!!!!)
I think this is a valid find... at least somewhat. If the trailer really is from august and they really did pull it out of their back pocket, then this is great proof that the screenshots (that could still just be photoshopped) are real examples of how the game actually looks with shaders and shadows and such.

3.) So where do these two thoughts lead us? To a little timeline.
Earlier in the Summer of 2014 - a trailer for the alpha game is put together.
August 2014 - An alpha trailer is showed to the media.
September 2014 - Some of the screenshots are released and look much better than the trailer.
December 2014 - Area 52 joins the dev team working on the game.
March 2015 - Trailer is revealed to the public and is seemingly a massive disappointment.

So I guess the point of this timeline is to ask the question of how honest is Atari being with us? Their dev blogs were uplifting enough to make me make a 6 minute video talking up the terrain improvements. So if they are just marketing the game with their dev blogs, it worked. At least on me.

Help me compile some more information. If we work together a bit we can piece together a better timeline that explains what happened a little bit better... whether its in the favor of RCTW still having potential, or in the favor of RCTW being absolute garbage and not upholding the franchise in the slightest.

Thompso
03-06-2015, 04:44 PM
The people from area 52 practically look like teenagers OMG!

Youtube time 2:07, No wonder why the game looks like young child developers worked on it

:-/

koekeritis
03-06-2015, 04:46 PM
I think (but mostly HOPE) you're right with that theory. There is no reason for the weird reaction of the peep at the end. It mostly just mirrors our reaction. As if they knew we were gonna hate this. I dunno it's just speculation.

But the thing i found most peculiar about the teaser is that area 52 nor pipeworks are featured in the video AT ALL!

SweenerDog
03-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I think (but mostly HOPE) you're right with that theory. There is no reason for the weird reaction of the peep at the end. It mostly just mirrors our reaction. As if they knew we were gonna hate this. I dunno it's just speculation.

But the thing i found most peculiar about the teaser is that area 52 nor pipeworks are featured in the video AT ALL!

Now doesn't that make you feel like maybe this trailer IS from August? Was Pipeworks involved around that time of the year? Area 52 sure wasn't.

Wabigbear
03-06-2015, 04:50 PM
So far I've heard of only one journalist who claims to have seen either that trailer or a similar one last summer. No one else has mentioned that, so I'm not sure if he did see it, or not. He may just recall a similar trailer. More worry some is that he doesn't even seem to see the difference between the graphics in the screenshots and what's seen in that video, and he seems to have a beef with another author who disliked the video. I take his post with a grain of salt.

One thing I'd point out is that almost all of the screens shown to date - the ones that look good anyways - are from the Pipeworks era. Since Area 52 took over we've seen basicly nothing except box art and a conceptual image, and we don't know if they made either or both, or they were leftover from Pipeworks.

We've been told repeatedly by Atari that they have been busy making screenshots and/or videos. However until this trailer popped up we've not seen any really.

We don't know why Pipeworks was replaced.

We don't know what assets Pipework created that remain in the game.

We don't even know if the same game engine Pipeworks used (the one that people said gave good gameplay and had great graphics back in August) is still being used.

We have had Atari tell us that the games graphics are 'cutting edge'. Obviously that's not what we see in the trailer.

The Stig
03-06-2015, 04:52 PM
So far I've heard of only one journalist who claims to have seen either that trailer or a similar one last summer.

I can see how there could be some confusion there. Both trailers for the game open up with the same POV footage of Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

coaster6
03-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Going WITH your theory
Mattlab told us that that had been a reveal trailer at PaxPrime.

Going AGAINST your theory
Mattlab said he was working on some footage for GDC.

ExtraCheese
03-06-2015, 04:55 PM
So far I've heard of only one journalist who claims to have seen either that trailer or a similar one last summer. No one else has mentioned that, so I'm not sure if he did see it, or not. He may just recall a similar trailer. More worry some is that he doesn't even seem to see the difference between the graphics in the screenshots and what's seen in that video, and he seems to have a beef with another author who disliked the video. I take his post with a grain of salt.

One thing I'd point out is that almost all of the screens shown to date - the ones that look good anyways - are from the Pipeworks era. Since Area 52 took over we've seen basicly nothing except box art and a conceptual image, and we don't know if they made either or both, or they were leftover from Pipeworks.

We've been told repeatedly by Atari that they have been busy making screenshots and/or videos. However until this trailer popped up we've not seen any really.

We don't know why Pipeworks was replaced.

We don't know what assets Pipework created that remain in the game.

We don't even know if the same game engine Pipeworks used (the one that people said gave good gameplay and had great graphics back in August) is still being used.

We have had Atari tell us that the games graphics are 'cutting edge'. Obviously that's not what we see in the trailer.

This worries me the most. We have indeed seen NOTHING from Area52... Their so called community managers have presumably been fired the day they were introduced, their company looks like a big scam (there is nothing on their website/social media). As far as we know, Area52 have been off the game for a long time. Their name isn't even mentioned in the trailer!