PDA

View Full Version : The trailer was from August last year!!!!!

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
This article: http://powerleveled.com/contrary-to-reports-the-new-rollercoaster-tycoon-doesnt-look-like-sht/

This is very interesting! The journalist states that he saw the same trailer during an alpha test in august last year. That means the visuals we have seen are over 6 months out of date. Thank God!!!

He also says that it does not represent where the game is at.

xmarkussxd
03-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I hope this news is true, fingers crossed !

paulbriffett
03-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I hope so.

Quovadis
03-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Oh man, i do hope it's true. It would make sense graphics wise. The question still remains: why bring this out now? If this was early alpha and released august 2014 it would show progress and i would be happy. Showing it now is weird and not good for the market. Fingers crossed though...

ExtraCheese
03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
We all have to wait from some official Atari / Area 52 comment, which will be today hopefully!

Liam.
03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah I'm going to go ahead and need a better source for that thanks.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:25 AM
No reason to doubt it - a working journalist is unlikely to lie about something that would only deflate a scandal like this trailer lol

In a way it's very nice to know this is so out of date. But it still begs the question why it was shown at all now!! 10 seconds of something basic shown using current build would be better.

Either way, it's certainly very big news that what we have seen is very out of date.

VACkillers
03-06-2015, 09:30 AM
we'll see...

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:31 AM
https://www.atari.com/news/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-debut-pc-early-2015

Also mentions a trailer shown in August. quite possibly the same thing and would suggest the content is from pipeworks time on the project.

imiha
03-06-2015, 09:32 AM
I really hope this is true!
"This is a misrepresentation of a game with a grand scale, and is insulting to a developer that put in years of work making the RCT series better than ever."

-Yeah, ahmmm, maybe Atari should have uploaded the current trailer of the game, not what they made 6 months ago, if they wanted a good response?

"As you can plainly see, the new Rollercoaster Tycoon title will be visually clean and will not reflect that of a single screenshot from an extended trailer they produced way back in August of last year. We had our hands on the same trailer, in its lesser cut back then and the hands-on experience felt better than this hype video with a grander park experience, more people in the park and a much more robust park building engine."

-Again, why show something as a "RCTW gameplay trailer" that doesn't even reflect the game?

"Comparing a single frame of a trailer with the likes of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Kotaku set out to impress that RCT:W is going to portray a weak look in the graphics department, but as we can see in the screenshots Atari provided us many builds ago, that’s simply false."

-Those screenshots were provided when game was developed by Frontier. Kotaku just showed what Atari showed us, nothing less.

I hope, I really do hope that they are right and the game will not look like the trailer, but I find this article acting very badly towards Kotaku. They just reported on the material Atari posted themself. We will see I guess.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm still googling for more confirmation. Looking at dates of convention and when all the main game press wrote about the demos they had seen, it would make complete sense that this video was originally shown back then.

It would explain:

- the paths not linking up with things
- the limited number of rides and restaurants etc (there is a lot of duplication)
- the difference in quality and detail between the rides (so they develop one ride to show how good it can look, then lots more with no real detail just to test the functional side of the game).
- The absence of lighting and shadows. Always seems to be added quite late on in other games too.

Quovadis
03-06-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm still googling for more confirmation. Looking at dates of convention and when all the main game press wrote about the demos they had seen, it would make complete sense that this video was originally shown back then.

It would explain:

- the paths not linking up with things
- the limited number of rides and restaurants etc (there is a lot of duplication)
- the difference in quality and detail between the rides (so they develop one ride to show how good it can look, then lots more with no real detail just to test the functional side of the game).
- The absence of lighting and shadows. Always seems to be added quite late on in other games too.

It would explain a whole lot, just don't get your hopes up too high.
And btw, good job on what your doing, it's actually informative! :D

down86
03-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Why would they show an outdated teaser? It does not feel right and does not show a good game to the fans who are waiting for a new game with the style for 2015.

xmarkussxd
03-06-2015, 09:47 AM
I think there is two explanations for showing this at this time, its either all they had or a pretty good PR stunt.. Not saying if my opinions are true, but that's how I see it.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:52 AM
I think there is two explanations for showing this at this time, its either all they had or a pretty good PR stunt.. Not saying if my opinions are true, but that's how I see it.

I just can't see the angle if it's a PR stunt (I work with a lot of big agencies to put stunts together: http://www.aquaticimpact.co.uk/index.php/services/giant-mobile-film-tank

But I do think it's quite funny that a few people have suggested it could be. I'm imaging Atari Execs going through the pages of negativity this has generated and just when they thought it couldn't get any worse, they find people suggesting their 'new game' looks so rubbish it can't actually be real :)

That would be pretty depressing!

down86
03-06-2015, 09:53 AM

Haha, @ april 1st they will show the real trailer. It would be a very dark and bad joke tbh. First showing something crap because many ppl did ask for a trailer and then go all the way around to show what the game really looks now.

Wabigbear
03-06-2015, 09:57 AM
There WAS an alpha shown last summer, and it got really good comments for the looks and the game play. But that was back when Pipeworks was designing this game. Same with the screenshots. After Pipeline was pushed out and Area 52 took over there has only been the box art and some 'inspirational' art seen until this video, a video that we were told was created just recently.

Madding may have a personal beef with Plunkett at Kotaku, but the Kataku article was spot on - the trailer showed a game that looked like s***.

This may not be the same game that Madding saw months ago, but it's the game that Atari chose to show NOW.

Quovadis
03-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Haha, @ april 1st they will show the real trailer. It would be a very dark and bad joke tbh. First showing something crap because many ppl did ask for a trailer and then go all the way around to show what the game really looks now.

Or worse, they show a 'real' trailer april 1st and it ends with: "LOL jk it's all a joke, it's just a render!"

xmarkussxd
03-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Not half as depressing as all of us must feel after seeing the trailer though! Even if this is the actual trailer they wanted us to see regardless of its quality, someone really has to make a statement here to reassure us all of what is happening because after that reveal I don't know if RCTW is coming or going tbh, considering the promises on recent blogs such as cutting edge graphics and new features. I still believe that something better will come of this though.

rct-uwe
03-06-2015, 09:59 AM
We are all sitting in a rollercoaster...
The way Atari is publishing news, is the track which raises and dashes down our hopes!

Quovadis
03-06-2015, 09:59 AM
The way Atari is publishing news is the track which raisees and dashes down our hopes!

Mind. Blown.

redyar
03-06-2015, 10:01 AM
The way Atari is publishing news is the track which raisees and dashes down our hopes!

There we are right now..

Deuce
03-06-2015, 10:01 AM
LOL 'The New Roller Coaster Tycoon Game'... 'So rubbish you won't think it's even real'..

I can only imagine that the Frontier offices spent the entire morning laughing so hard that they felt sick, and then went home early for the day. Safe in the knowledge that they no longer have to worry about competing with their own former game series. The mood over there must be very good today - and it's friday!

Actually they're only down the road from my house, I could park up outside and listen for sound of muffled laughter.

redyar
03-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Actually they're only down the road from my house, I could park up outside and listen for sound of muffled laughter.
Go there and ask them personally!

justinm_
03-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Go there and ask them personally!

Il get the train up from Cardiff and meet you there Deuce

Deuce
03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Il get the train up from Cardiff and meet you there Deuce

I guess we could all head over there together and explain what Atari have done and make them promise not to do the same with their new game!! Although I'm sure they wouldn't anyway.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Somewhere in this building - the spiritual successor to RCT3 is lurking... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.23287,0.140616,3a,75y,121.32h,82.96t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBmJypMZ5ADEfZz_N5vh_pg!2e0!6m1 !1e1

:)

VACkillers
03-06-2015, 10:57 AM
lol yeah..........

Jamppa158
03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Even if it was a trailer from august, Atari did really bad job releasing it now lol

AtiTech
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Why you wane release a trailer of 6 months old footage makes no sense ... What where they thinking

NickNem
03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't think they presented an outdated trailer. Like most of you say...it would make no sense. I really think the game once looked good in the pre-alpha phase, but then, they changed the developer team (maybe to publish the game early 2015) and forced them to rush it. The trailer is horrible, there's no excuse - not even for an alpha status. Like most of you pointed out, the park they created looks like "spewed out". The rollercoaster is ridiculous - like built from a five-year-old. "Unlimited cotton candy" - is that supposed to be funny? And a "very impressed" peep, that vomits - what the hell - what were they thinking. And the use of a real POV-coaster ride, overlayed with filters, so it looks like 3D-graphics...the transition from a really good rollercoaster ride to this pile of garbage - candy crush styled non-layout coaster from hell...with no real physics...boring flatrides (often compared to the ones from Theme Park World - but they were at least creative and original). It's really sad but I really think that the trailer show us the final-game. Atari doesn't care what people want - look at their latest games "Alone in the dark" and "Haunted House". All you can read about them is, that they're bad - buggy and bad. Atari had the possibility to make much money with this game...really much money - there are so many people who wanted to play a new rollercoaster game - but if they don't fix it up massively it will be a big financial flop. Sorry to say that, but I had really high hopes for a - at leas descent game :( okay, now I've cried enough ;)

redyar
03-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I don't think they presented an outdated trailer. Like most of you say...it would make no sense. I really think the game once looked good in the pre-alpha phase, but then, they changed the developer team (maybe to publish the game early 2015) and forced them to rush it. The trailer is horrible, there's no excuse - not even for an alpha status. Like most of you pointed out, the park they created looks like "spewed out". The rollercoaster is ridiculous - like built from a five-year-old. "Unlimited cotton candy" - is that supposed to be funny? And a "very impressed" peep, that vomits - what the hell - what were they thinking. And the use of a real POV-coaster ride, overlayed with filters, so it looks like 3D-graphics...the transition from a really good rollercoaster ride to this pile of garbage - candy crush styled non-layout coaster from hell...with no real physics...boring flatrides (often compared to the ones from Theme Park World - but they were at least creative and original). It's really sad but I really think that the trailer show us the final-game. Atari doesn't care what people want - look at their latest games "Alone in the dark" and "Haunted House". All you can read about them is, that they're bad - buggy and bad. Atari had the possibility to make much money with this game...really much money - there are so many people who wanted to play a new rollercoaster game - but if they don't fix it up massively it will be a big financial flop. Sorry to say that, but I had really high hopes for a - at leas descent game :( okay, now I've cried enough ;)

Exactly my thoughts.

Wabigbear
03-06-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't think they presented an outdated trailer. Like most of you say...it would make no sense. I really think the game once looked good in the pre-alpha phase, but then, they changed the developer team (maybe to publish the game early 2015) and forced them to rush it.

Agree. It's almost like a weird mash-up of video from two entirely different games, bracketed by real-life POV footage. Bits of it look nice like the Pipework- period screens. The rest is just horrible, and may be Area 52's work. And that's worrisome.

tycoon
03-06-2015, 10:59 PM
i posted this in another thread, but it's even more relevant here...

this is from one journalist, with no s. one person. and frankly, i'm thinking that one person may be mistaken... the quotation, from here: http://powerleveled.com/contrary-to-reports-the-new-rollercoaster-tycoon-doesnt-look-like-sht/

is: "As you can plainly see, the new Rollercoaster Tycoon title will be visually clean and will not reflect that of a single screenshot from an extended trailer they produced way back in August of last year. We had our hands on the same trailer, in its lesser cut back then and the hands-on experience felt better than this hype video with a grander park experience, more people in the park and a much more robust park building engine."

now, the question you have to ask, is did they '[have their] hands on the same trailer, in it's lesser cut', in THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzpx0im7U0c, the 30-some-odd second trailer, with the POV goliath footage and a rendered screen shot?

is that what he means by 'it's lesser cut' - because it's shorter but has the same goliath POV footage? point of fact: that trailer was posted august 12, 2014... it is very possible that it is in fact that trailer that he is referencing.

i personally think that one article, by one journalist, who given his own words may be mistaken, is being given too much weight by some who proclaim it as proof that the footage is from august.

further, the screen shots he is posting as proof are entirely from the point of time that pipeworks was developing the game, as would be the 'live and very real alpha' that he would have seen in september. that fact in itself, leads me to believe that indeed he is referencing the trailer we've all seen and linked above, as the one 'we had our hands on... in its lesser cut back then'... there is absolutely no telling what happened in terms of the alpha he's seen, what happened in the aftermath of pipeworks leaving the project, and where the previous work product is or where the game is today.

in short, i give no credibility to his claims, for those reasons, and the fact that everything he states as fact is either questionable (what trailer is it, exactly), or the fact that much has changed since september, most notably the game developer.

Drummer Si
03-07-2015, 04:39 AM
You guys are pathetic.. Stop it.. Stop making excuses. The game looks terrible. Accept it.. I have :(

It DOES NOT make sound business sense that the first trailer of your game is so outdated it makes it look terrible.. It's a recent trailer that shows a TERRIBLE game in it's current state.

It's time to move on guys at look at other rollercoaster style games over the coming year that will probably better than this ****.