PDA

View Full Version : A Hopeful Note About RCTW Graphics

RCTWLemondude617
03-05-2015, 11:56 PM
So, I saw the trailer for RCTW and I felt the graphics were just RCT3 style, but I honestly couldn't really believe those graphics in the trailer. Later on today, I was looking around on the Steam page for RCTW and I noticed the System Requirements and I decided to test something: compare it to another game's system requirements. So the game I chose? A popular tycoon game releasing really soon: Cities Skylines. Here is what I found:

RECOMMENDED: (Cities: Skylines)
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

RECOMMENDED: (Roller Coaster Tycoon World
Processor: 2.00 Ghz Core i7 (or above)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Dedicated video card with 1 GB of RAM (or above)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Additional Notes: Network connection is required for Steam authentication and multi-player

Some of this, such as the RAM, seems very promising. Others it seems to be falling behind. I hope that trailer was a fluke! :cool:

coaster6
03-05-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this game. I'm on you're side; for now.

BigDaddy
03-06-2015, 12:00 AM
No all that shows is that this dev team knows nothing about optimization, or the person who put out those specs is totally clueless.

ExtraCheese
03-06-2015, 04:25 AM
Remember RCT3 couldn't run properly on a high end computer back then? This could be the same, so they just put in high system requirements just to make sure. (Yes I know they supposedly use a new engine, but it all looks very much alike right?)

paulbriffett
03-06-2015, 04:40 AM
Now I'm even more pessimistic that the game won't work on my computer :(

Nupol
03-06-2015, 07:45 AM
I remember a thread from the HSR project on shyguys world. There was a showcase how the polygon count and the alpha textures affect the Fps in RCT3 and it clearly shows that the polygon count doesn't affect the fps that much but the alpha textures do. I know its how the engine is coded and how it can manage the alpha textures and polygons. I am really dissapointed that everything in RCTW is so low poly. For sure you have to keep the Poly's low if you have a park with really much objects but what I have seen so far it looks more like the game is for mobile phones and tablets and not for PC or like someone just forgot to add LODs . I have had my expectations low on how the graphics look if there is a ton of different objects and great gameplay. I just feel lied to because of all the great things mattlab wrote. Next gen graphics, hi res textures...
I have to set my expectations even lower if I want to be amazed by that trailer.
The first thing I noticed was how the coaster track looks. It looks like rct3s low LOD model...

I can't find the thread now because I'm on mobile with a really low internet connection. If someone find it feel free to post a link. Otherwise I will add it later.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Theme park sims do place an unusually high load on a system compared to other sim games. It needs to render 1000's of peeps and all the rides and all in real time. It has to pre-load every single texture used in the park. it is quite unlike most other 3D games in many respects. Also all the physics and AI.

However, that said. That would only excuse it needing a higher spec machine to equal the graphics of another type of sim game. It doesn't justify the 2004 graphics and clunky coaster tracks they have shown us.

I think by 'next gen graphics' Mattlab meant compared to RCT3. IE they are 2006 graphics as opposed to 2004 :)

Epic Wink
03-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Theme park sims do place an unusually high load on a system compared to other sim games. It needs to render 1000's of peeps and all the rides and all in real time. It has to pre-load every single texture used in the park. it is quite unlike most other 3D games in many respects. Also all the physics and AI.

However, that said. That would only excuse it needing a higher spec machine to equal the graphics of another type of sim game. It doesn't justify the 2004 graphics and clunky coaster tracks they have shown us.

I think by 'next gen graphics' Mattlab meant compared to RCT3. IE they are 2006 graphics as opposed to 2004 :)

CPU deals with peep animation and AI, and physics. GPU deals with poly and texture rendering, and particle effects. So peep movement won't affect FPS, and poly count won't affect game speed

Deuce
03-07-2015, 05:54 AM
CPU deals with peep animation and AI, and physics. GPU deals with poly and texture rendering, and particle effects. So peep movement won't affect FPS, and poly count won't affect game speed

All things in the game are made of polygons (other than the odd sprite) and poly count always slows a game down.

MR.sugar
03-07-2015, 05:58 AM
You can't compare it this way. Both games have different engine and features and it also depends on how they optimize it. I know several games with even higher HW requirements, yet they look ugly.

The fact it has higher recommended HW specs doesn't mean it will look as good or better as Cities Skylines..

Marvin
03-07-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm really looking forward to Cities: Skylines. Looks great and they've actually interacted and been honest with the community.