PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Teaser is out!

Pages : [1] 2

GoYoshi
03-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Please don't be exited in a positive way before watching the video.

So the gameplay teaser of RTCW is finally out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgAhPffWsM

Some CGI cutscenes at the beginning and the end of the video. Seems quite cool, but... the graphics. Nevermind, discuss! :)

Edit:
http://abload.de/img/unbenanntbsujv.png

It really looks like in the video the lowest graphic settings are set. But why would anyone to that?

Amdixer
03-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm a bit disappointed by the trailer. It does finally show some more of the game, which is a good thing. But for some reason the footage didn't feel "smooth". The "construction" animation seemed to run at 15 FPS or something, the track pieces seem to be bumpy and not smooth at-all. I do like the new rides tho! It seems like they have quite a few of them done.

I just hope these graphics are not final... Some of the models seem reaaaaally low poly...
Some things that concern me from this trailer:
- Low Poly Models
- Very Low quality textures (but these might be not-final)
- Jagged coasters
- No proper coaster supports

Now that I think of it, those fancy CGI shots they start and end the video with, that is what the game should look like, it's 2015 not 2005...

And who designed these parks to showcase the game? They're not well-designed, the park seems like path + rides. No height, no hills, no nothing, just all very flat.

If no major changes are made to this game I'll probably not buy it.

Amplifyed
03-05-2015, 01:29 PM
The graphics concern me a little bit. That's all I'm going to say about it.

a-can-o-beans
03-05-2015, 01:30 PM
the coasters tracks look terrible. the rides look bad . this doesnt look like it wil be a full RCT experience...

demomode_br
03-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Now I'm 100% sure that RCTW is RCT3 Reloaded :mad: Where are the rounded paths?

Chazzagm93
03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
The graphics concern me a little bit. That's all I'm going to say about it.

I know graphics look rubbish for 2015

GoYoshi
03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
It looks so different from the screenshots released months ago. I know it's a comic style but it looks kitschy (?), less detailed and the textures are not that great too. For me, it almost looks like it was completely developed from the ground after Pipeworks left (It's probably not the case I know). I'm a huge RCT fan and I know in videogames there's always room for improvement and that can happen really fast. But it's so weird we have to wait weeks for some new information. It's like they are hiding something from us.
It wouldn't be a problem to wait some month longer to play this game. "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
I do not want to be too hasty and I'm quite optimismic normally. So I'll give it some more chances.
Area 52, please do your best! :)

SadRCTFan
03-05-2015, 01:41 PM
From what was released, a MAJORITY of the Ideas and Feature Requests blog was overlooked. It's really a shame where they've taken the franchise in this "Teaser Trailer".. Hopefully when the game comes out, CSO designers that SHOULD be working in Atari's studios will make the game worth while for those who pay money for it.

DataHacK
03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
I was really looking forward to see the first gameplay trailer, but this is kinda disappointing.
Sorry Area52 and Atari, but what is this? This graphics looks like made in 2005.

The indoor ride screenshot Mattlab posted in one of the DevBlog posts was looking good, but this?
I just can hope this is early game footage, Alpha, Beta or something. :/

Wabigbear
03-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Wait, I didn't think this was a mobile game?

The only thing that's positive about this POS is that we were told we'll be able to have Custom Scenery, so I'm hoping the game engine is better, unlike the graphics.

MR.sugar
03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
This game is just being rushed. It feels rly unpolished and ugly from the trailer. Sorry to say that, but I would prefer RCT3. This feels completely off for some reason.

down86
03-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Hmm, you can really see the differance between what is in game and what is now. If it looked like the coaster between 0:03 to 0:14 i would say i saw a next gen RTC:W. But when you leave that tunnel it does not feel right anymore. You even see frames going down @ 0:31 in the trailer that is a bad way of promoting your game. I know many ppl wanted to see more but if its not rdy yet dont show it. And just be honest to the fans that the game is not polished enough to be shown as a trailer. I hope that this is a very early preview.

If it would get a review now i think that it will get a really low score. And thats not what a company as Atari can use right now.

SadRCTFan
03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
I must be honest 😂 😂 😂 it's quite humorous how in the "Teaser" they've compared what we wanted (Goliath Coaster) to a re-rendering of an overly themed Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

What they've shown us was no where near realistically close.

chester016
03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
I am disgusted by the attitude of everyone on here. The release date has not even been set yet. This is early in game footage. I am sure over the next few months the graphics will be tweaked, ride details can be enhanced, and more requests can be incorporated. I think these forums have given the developers some great ideas for future expansion packs. Can we at least wait until the gam actually comes out before we knock it? Atari is working with a completely different developer than the previous 3 titles. In a sense they are almost starting from scratch with this series, give them some time. When these gameplay teasers are released, the game is still a work in progress. Any number of things could change between now and the release. Relax folks. Remember what made RCT3 so great was the enormous amount of user content that was available. Whos to say that wont be the case again?

Tomes
03-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Absolutely gross. What manufacturer's track was that? It looked like a bad model of a TOGO.

Also, did you use NL2, or a real sim, to develop the Goliath CGI?

Christopher
03-05-2015, 01:57 PM
I am fairly disappointed with what I saw in the trailer. Hell, RCT3 looks more realistic and smoother than this.....

I really hope this is just a very early footage

dwwilkin
Cool. Im psyched again.

Jamppa158
Disappointed in overall graphics (if they were maxed out in the trailer) but at least peeps look a lot better. I just hope the game will be better optimized than RCT3... Unplayable during night time, minor lags every time you get a notification etc. Don't want to experience that again.

Edit- Just checked the system requirements from Steam... Those are too low for the game to look good

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
**Shocked**

THAT looks like RCT3.... I hope that really was not the game...

vilmer
03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
It looks like RCT3 :/

a-can-o-beans
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Absolutely gross. What manufacturer's track was that? It looked like a bad model of a TOGO.

Also, did you use NL2, or a real sim, to develop the Goliath CGI?

its a real goliath pov. just with some post processing effects. they wouldnt waste there time making a realistic coaster recreation in no limits when they can just use the real coaster

RandomMrBrick
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
I'm quite worried how no banked turns have been shown at all yet. Quite worried.

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 02:01 PM
No Curved Paths either from the gameplay trailer, all paths were straight-edged like RCT3 and before. Which was shocking also.

From the screenshots though from the steam page, there is some hope as those look incredibly better than what was shown in the trailer...

vilmer
03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Well, they have the release date mid 2015 on the steam page.

chester016
03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
link to the steam page? what is that?

Wayne
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Link to steam page - http://store.steampowered.com/app/282560/

Jamppa158
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/282560/ steam page

System requirements are too low imo.

down86
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
I am disgusted by the attitude of everyone on here. The release date has not even been set yet. This is early in game footage. I am sure over the next few months the graphics will be tweaked, ride details can be enhanced, and more requests can be incorporated. I think these forums have given the developers some great ideas for future expansion packs. Can we at least wait until the gam actually comes out before we knock it? Atari is working with a completely different developer than the previous 3 titles. In a sense they are almost starting from scratch with this series, give them some time. When these gameplay teasers are released, the game is still a work in progress. Any number of things could change between now and the release. Relax folks. Remember what made RCT3 so great was the enormous amount of user content that was available. Whos to say that wont be the case again?

It is early but what sort of response would you expect? I mean showing ingame footage where you can see even some framelag is not a good way for promotion. Surely not when you get a very nice CGI made coaster at the start and near the end. Im not going to look away from this game because it is not ready. But the trailer is a very bad one. Trailers are ment to make the game expectations higher and not lower.

RandomMrBrick
03-05-2015, 02:09 PM
I think I'll definitely be watching actual gameplay before I buy the game.

redyar
03-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Wow. Did they create that "park" within 10 minutes? :(
The peep at the end sums up my feelings..

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 02:11 PM
The Coaster CGI was awesome, if THAT ended up being how the game looked, that would have been absolutely amazing but then it cuts back to the game and it just looks.......so......awful visually.... My only conclusion is that the in-game footage has to be old, even going by the screenshots we've seen and the 1 new one on the steam page cannot be docted THAT much....

I see the release is MID 2015 too! heh... I'm still sticking with my July 14th date for this one :D

keeper262
03-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I think the game looks fine so far, it is still in development for a mid 2015 launch. The end product is all that matters.

demomode_br
03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
It's not CGI guys!, it's a POV video.

SadRCTFan
03-05-2015, 02:16 PM

LOLOL 😂 that's funny.

Kranky
03-05-2015, 02:19 PM
The graphics are worse than RCT3. Like wut.

I didn't think I'd be dissapointed... but I am.

This honestly looks like a prank though. Why would anyone show great graphics and then fade into terrible graphics? It doesn't make any sense.

chester016
03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
I have an AMD A10-5745m APU Processor with Radeon HD graphics 2.10 ghz

Thoughts?

Themeparkmaster
Honestly? WTF is that?
So the grafics is kind of bad. The announcement was good, but this is more than a joke.
It must be completely change everything look like the Coasters and more.
So I will not buy it. Please Atari, everything changes.
I'm something of disappointed that I could puke.
Why does RCTW out so crappy?
RCT3 was better and now looks good too. Because even RCT4Mobile looks better.
It seems as if this incompetent programmer works on his.
Sorry, this is my honest opinion.
So textures, bad. Rollercoasters, bad. Flatrides, bad. There is really nothing new.
Let it develop another studio and bring it out next year.

Jamppa158
Recommended system reqs from steam:

Processor: 2.00 Ghz Core i7 (or above)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Dedicated video card with 1 GB of RAM (or above)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Additional Notes: Network connection is required for Steam authentication and multi-player

I hope this is not true...
Either those requirements are just a placeholder or then Atari/Area52 want this to be a laptop/tablet game. OR then they decide to sacrifice graphics in order to create larger parks. Time will tell how it turns out, though.

timtimmy
03-05-2015, 02:23 PM
They're having a laugh, Atari is.

The Stig
03-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Oh no! I think they posted RCT3 footage by mistake.
At least we got a nice POV of GOLIATH AT SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN!

I feel like making one of those "What I expected/What I got" memes

http://c1gas2org.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2014/02/tinny-tim.jpg

ryanator008
03-05-2015, 02:31 PM
There aren't even shadows...

darkhorizon
03-05-2015, 02:33 PM
The fact that people are making new accounts purely to express their disappointment for the game...really shows something. Ugh, so disappointed.

NickNem
03-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Unbelievable, maybe the worst game-trailer I've ever seen. They did everything completely wrong. The transition from real-life footage to ingame footage is horrible. The graphics are horriblle - even RCT 3 looks much better (yes, the textures are a bit better, but that's all)The rides look uninspired, the deco-elements bland and boring - It looks like a mobile game. I'm really disappointed. The first pictures that pipework showed us were really good, but after that it slightly went downhill.

vilmer
Oh no! I think they posted RCT3 footage by mistake.
At least we got a nice POV of GOLIATH AT SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN!

I feel like making one of those "What I expected/What I got" memes

http://c1gas2org.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2014/02/tinny-tim.jpg

So much photoshopping on ''in-game'' screenshots..

ncutt010

wow...I dont know what to say

Danny
03-05-2015, 02:36 PM
I came here to watch a gameplay video for Roller Coaster Tycoon World. That is neither a gameplay video and nor does it look like RCTW.

"The best things in life are worth waiting for".

I'm glad I've not wasted my life avidly waiting for this.

Amdixer
03-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Something I realized. Themeparkitect has a better graphics palette in my opinion, just look at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjS24jhEa8E&feature=youtu.be
It tries less hard to have high end graphics, so the themeparkitect graphics actually make sense, the RCTW graphics seem like "We're trying but not really"

Kranky
03-05-2015, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=The Stig;9628]

Like that is hilarious

JMR
03-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Like that is hilarious

We've been trolled.

Dwittyy
03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Well hey, at least we'll have unlimited cotton candy!

a-can-o-beans
03-05-2015, 02:46 PM
i can't believe how bad this looks.... just pull the plug before they ruin the RCT series for good...

NickNem
03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC_nc7LwGWw
For comparison! The trailer of RCT3...okay, it's low quality, but it looks MUCH more impressing than the RCT-World one.

Nickster
03-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I bet Atari is pushing low requirements. The good looking screenshots were Pipeworks doing, maybe Pipework refused to make the game as bad as Atari requested so they themselves pulled out. Just my guess.

Quovadis
03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC_nc7LwGWw
For comparison! The trailer of RCT3...okay, it's low quality, but it looks MUCH more impressing than the RCT-World one.

Agreed! It shows different parks with hills and stuff, not a flat piece of land with some (bad quality) attractions, absolutely no shadows and a few mountains painted in the background... Especially in comparison with the screenshots this is so, so bad an unexpected. It seemed like they were going the right way, and then...

Let us hope that this was pre-alpha footage they just quickly thrown together, because if this is what the final game looks like, it is a huge, huge disappointment!

RCTW1
03-05-2015, 03:17 PM
It looked a LOT better when Pipeworks was doing the graphics. This is PATHETIC!!!

SadRCTFan
03-05-2015, 03:18 PM
The amount of copies of this game will sell will be a number I take note of to see how many people just "go with the flow" instead of acknowledging trash and asking for what they deserve.
I won't be putting my money down and settling for less nor would I let a friend do the same..

From the box art to the Screenshots posted by @Mattlab to the actual gameplay in the released trailer (3/5/15)
I see decievement and disappointment.
This whole RCTW promotion is sloppy and So far 9 out of every 10 people in each forum post have said their honest thoughts on the product that's being advertised.

At this point it's not about negativity in the forums, it's about feedback on what Atari is giving us.. If we were given something GOOD, there would be more positive feedback.
Clearly. Things are not right.
If this forum has any signifigance to affecting the game and it's production then let this be a wake up call.

vilmer
03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Its okay with me if the game will be delayed a few months to get it so it looks like the screenshots.

Quovadis
03-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Another thing i don't get is the new released screenshot on steam (the last one). It actually does look decent and i would accept that as graphics. But it is completely different in comparison with the trailer.
Screenshot: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/282560/ss_892a8006280d51f777176cb94c26a22824616266.jpg?t= 1425578356 (bear in mind that the screenshot is maximized and thus less quality)

lohansony
03-05-2015, 03:32 PM
The teaser was not a smart move on their part. Should've made it look a LOT better before showing it off. Looks just like a more RCT4M version of RCT3. It's like Ataris responsive site. It feels like a slightly more detailed version of the Mobile Site. :|

AUS_Twisted
03-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Always thought this game was dodgy from awhile back now and the teaser just proved it, whoever recorded that teaser has absolutely no idea. Do you guys at Atari know what Anisotropic filtering is for starters? that's gotta be one of the worst teasers for a game I've ever seen and I've been involved with 3D terrain designing in various engines since the late 90's.

Who is this marketed to, 5 year olds?

wesleypacman
03-05-2015, 03:36 PM
God lets just hope this is alpha footage and the final game looks better. If RCTW ends up trash then at least there's coaster park tycoon by frontier to look forward to...

iChase
03-05-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm beginning to think it's amateur hour over at Atari and Area 52. Them releasing that trailer on their Steam page means someone, somewhere, sat at their computer and said, "This looks good. They're sure to buy this game! Let's upload it!"

RCTW will be a failure, both in quality and sales. Its release will make SimCity 2013 look like the perfect release.

Pack it in, guys. Game over.

Sam223
03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Wow it looks terrible. Almost vomit inducing,as the peep suggests at the end of the trailer. Bad textures,low poly models,no lighting effects/post processing,toothpick supports,rough free node coasters,everything else pre-fab. Would love to see the full real life POV footage of goliath though, looks picturesque at that time of day.

vilmer
03-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Why would they release these amazing screenshots of the game and then release this trashy trailer? It's just stupid, this must be a joke..

Nickster
03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Mattlab is face palming so hard that he dug a whole under his desk.

Danny
03-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Why would they release these amazing screenshots of the game and then release this trashy trailer? It's just stupid, this must be a joke..

To keep us hooked for as long as possible, which undoubtedly work. The fallout was going to be inevitable when we finally saw the 'gameplay' trailer.

GoobyPls
03-05-2015, 04:07 PM

I don't get it either. most of the time there arent't even shadows.
On the screenshots the lighting looked really good, why release a truly eye-cancer causing trailer now??

Gandalf
03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
On the screenshots the lighting looked really good, why release a truly eye-cancer causing trailer now??

This must be a joke just look at the first screenshots, like the graphic just wow. This is a joke 100% the trailer is fake but I'm not believeing that the trailer will be actual game I mean common people there are like 2,3 months before the release the change will be big so dont judge now.

vilmer
03-05-2015, 04:13 PM

This must be a joke just look at the first screenshots, like the graphic just wow. This is a joke 100% the trailer is fake but I'm not believeing that the trailer will be actual game I mean common people there are like 2,3 months before the release the change will be big so dont judge now.

We'll get a dev blog tomorrow so i hope Mattlab will explain why the trailer is so damn bad.

Scapton
03-05-2015, 04:35 PM
why don't the roller coasters feel smooth!?!?! :(

Thompso
03-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Did RCTW get hacked or something? , this CANNOT be the real tailor. It is sooo bad, as if a bunch of teenage kids worked for Atari on this game or something

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Wow some of you are annoying and give the RCT fanbase a really bad rep. Since when was RCT Halo? I didn't know the graphics were ever an integral part of what made the first 3 fun. In fact all 3 had dated graphics for their time. This is absolutely graphically superior to RCT3, especially in the rides and coasters. The scenery and peeps definitely need some work, but it's the first footage we're ever seeing of the actual game. Just because this game was announced nearly a year ago doesn't mean they've really been working on it that long. I really don't see this out until the Holiday or sometime next year. So in other words, I think it's got a long ways to go yet. If I'm wrong and it releases in a few months without looking much better in some areas, then yes it will be disappointing in the graphical department. Again though, that's never ever been even remotely what the franchise is about. It could still end up being a great RCT game and have totally crappy graphics. And again, it doesn't look nearly as bad as people are saying. The rides themselves actually look really good and I'm sure the shadows issue will be fixed by release. People need to get over themselves and stop making the fanbase sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. Be glad we're actually getting a true RCT game, not some mobile free to play crap.

RCM88x
03-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Wow some of you are annoying and give the RCT fanbase a really bad rep. Since when was RCT Halo? I didn't know the graphics were ever an integral part of what made the first 3 fun. In fact all 3 had dated graphics for their time. This is absolutely graphically superior to RCT3, especially in the rides and coasters. The scenery and peeps definitely need some work, but it's the first footage we're ever seeing of the actual game. Just because this game was announced nearly a year ago doesn't mean they've really been working on it that long. I really don't see this out until the Holiday or sometime next year. So in other words, I think it's got a long ways to go yet. If I'm wrong and it releases in a few months without looking much better in some areas, then yes it will be disappointing in the graphical department. Again though, that's never ever been even remotely what the franchise is about. It could still end up being a great RCT game and have totally ****ty graphics. And again, it doesn't look nearly as bas as people are saying. The rides themselves actually look really good. People need to get over themselves and stop making the fanbase sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. Be glad we're actually getting a true RCT game, not some mobile free to play crap.

A true RCT game includes isometric graphics in a grid based system. And no, this does not look good in any way, please dont lie to yourself.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Some of you are blind if you don't see the improvement in the rides and coasters. The scenery is very RCT3-ish, yes, but again this is the FIRST GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. Since when do games ever look the same as the first footage? And yet again, what the hell do the graphics have to do with how good the game is anyways?

RCM88x
03-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Some of you are blind if you don't see the improvement in the rides and coasters. The scenery is very RCT3-ish, yes, but again this is the FIRST GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. Since when do games ever look the same as the first footage? And yet again, what the hell do the graphics have to do with how good the game is anyways?

When the first gameplay footage is released less than 3 months from the intended release, they are usually a good indication. Not much is going to change in a few months.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:08 PM
When the first gameplay footage is released less than 3 months from the intended release, they are usually a good indication. Not much is going to change in a few months.
It's not coming out in 3 months. If it actually does, then you're right the graphics won't be much better and the game will probably be incomplete. But there's a reason we're only seeing something from it now, and that's because the game still isn't that far along. If it were we would have seen this footage months ago. It's not like they were holding off to blow people away with the graphics. They were holding off because it wasn't even far along enough to show anything yet.

coaster6
03-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Some of you are blind if you don't see the improvement in the rides and coasters. The scenery is very RCT3-ish, yes, but again this is the FIRST GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. Since when do games ever look the same as the first footage? And yet again, what the hell do the graphics have to do with how good the game is anyways? wait. I laughed. In coasters? In coasters? What kind of coaster even is that. The lift hill is 90 degrees, man. What is up with it. There's no banked turns. The track is about 3 feet wide. The supports are worse than RCTM. RCTM. What do you mean it looks better.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:14 PM
wait. I laughed. In coasters? In coasters? What kind of coaster even is that. The lift hill is 90 degrees, man. What is up with it. There's no banked turns. The track is about 3 feet wide. The supports are worse than RCTM. RCTM. What do you mean it looks better.
There are plenty of real life coasters with 90 degree lift hills. I've been on a couple of them myself.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
One last thing I'm saying on the subject of the graphics and then I'm done. Why is everyone ignoring the word TEASER in the title of the gameplay teaser we got? Since when does teaser mean nearly complete?

coaster6
03-05-2015, 05:18 PM
There are plenty of real life coasters with 90 degree lift hills. I've been on a couple of them myself. I was on one last week. I'm saying the track doesn't look like it's two pieces of piping painted red. It had more detail and supports that could hold a 50-pound human being lol.

RCTW1
03-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Parkitect still doesn't interest me. Sorry.

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Wow some of you are annoying and give the RCT fanbase a really bad rep. Since when was RCT Halo? I didn't know the graphics were ever an integral part of what made the first 3 fun. In fact all 3 had dated graphics for their time. This is absolutely graphically superior to RCT3, especially in the rides and coasters. The scenery and peeps definitely need some work, but it's the first footage we're ever seeing of the actual game. Just because this game was announced nearly a year ago doesn't mean they've really been working on it that long. I really don't see this out until the Holiday or sometime next year. So in other words, I think it's got a long ways to go yet. If I'm wrong and it releases in a few months without looking much better in some areas, then yes it will be disappointing in the graphical department. Again though, that's never ever been even remotely what the franchise is about. It could still end up being a great RCT game and have totally crappy graphics. And again, it doesn't look nearly as bad as people are saying. The rides themselves actually look really good and I'm sure the shadows issue will be fixed by release. People need to get over themselves and stop making the fanbase sound like a bunch of entitled whiners. Be glad we're actually getting a true RCT game, not some mobile free to play crap.

Well we already did get some free-to-play mobile crap before they turned around and did this. RCT as a franchise has always pushed the boundries of tech at the time of their release, when RCT1 was released there was so much going in the parks, there wasn't a single game like it that had come before it. The animations were amazing, the way you could create rides, name everything, the amount of customization was superb! and graphically at the time was very good to look at for its time. RCT2 was pretty much the same game with more content but it also wasn't released 10 years later though, either. RCT3 came along and again, everything about it pushed the limits of the tech around that era, it was so far ahead of its day, both graphically, and technically, is one of the reasons why it still actually looks half decent even compared to todays standards.... Its graphical bump from the 2D isometric view from RCT1&2 was absolutely massive!!!! plus the night and day cycles.....

Roll on 10 years down the line and have the mess we saw in the trailer today which looked (if you can believe it) worse than RCT3.... how is that even possible? no innovation... nothing new... nothing different than what we've had in the past, its pretty much the same game as RCT3. That is not moving the series forward into 2015 thats keeping it buried in the past, both visually, and technically....There is a lot of stuff going wrong in the trailer too, which leads to an game engine problem! but if you cannot even renovate the game graphically in any way what so ever, then what is the point in doing it in the first place if not to at the VERY least, make it up to date? If its the same game, then the same gameplay will be there right? so what is actually left is the graphics, and that is what most people are seeing. People aren't worried about too much about the gameplay because it should all tense and purposes be the same, until the reveal of multiplayer that is.

jackk
03-05-2015, 05:27 PM
The roller coaster they built here, wtf? It's so bad. Its lumpy and just.. A mess. why is it going over the top of everything? It really looks like the mobile game!!

http://postimg.org/image/zdjxetfgh/

RCTW1
03-05-2015, 05:29 PM
RCTA, It looked a lot worse than RCT3.

ddrplaya4638
03-05-2015, 05:34 PM
This game looks horrible. Mattlab all of us are very disappointed in the low quality of the game that is show in the trailer.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Well we already did get some free-to-play mobile crap before they turned around and did this. RCT as a franchise has always pushed the boundries of tech at the time of their release, when RCT1 was released there was so much going in the parks, there wasn't a single game like it that had come before it. The animations were amazing, the way you could create rides, name everything, the amount of customization was superb! and graphically at the time was very good to look at for its time. RCT2 was pretty much the same game with more content but it also wasn't released 10 years later though, either. RCT3 came along and again, everything about it pushed the limits of the tech around that era, it was so far ahead of its day, both graphically, and technically, is one of the reasons why it still actually looks half decent even compared to todays standards.... Its graphical bump from the 2D isometric view from RCT1&2 was absolutely massive!!!! plus the night and day cycles.....

Roll on 10 years down the line and have the mess we saw in the trailer today which looked (if you can believe it) worse than RCT3.... how is that even possible? no innovation... nothing new... nothing different than what we've had in the past, its pretty much the same game as RCT3. That is not moving the series forward into 2015 thats keeping it buried in the past, both visually, and technically....There is a lot of stuff going wrong in the trailer too, which leads to an game engine problem! but if you cannot even renovate the game graphically in any way what so ever, then what is the point in doing it in the first place if not to at the VERY least, make it up to date? If its the same game, then the same gameplay will be there right? so what is actually left is the graphics, and that is what most people are seeing. People aren't worried about too much about the gameplay because it should all tense and purposes be the same, until the reveal of multiplayer that is.
I'm not saying the graphics aren't disappointing for 2015. I'm saying they're not what's really important to the game and this is a teaser. I also don't agree with people saying there's no improvement over RCT3's graphics. I see them, and believe me I've played RCT3 to death for a decade so I know what that game looks like. The fact of the matter is this franchise is no longer relevant enough to likely receive the kind of budget to have state of the art graphics. Its been dead for a decade, and almost all of the casual fans of RCT back in the day are likely long over the franchise. The diehards are all that's left. So they have to attract a new audience, which is never a guarantee they will and therefore likely means a smaller budget. I still hold this game is not far along at all. If it does come out soon, then yeah I think we're in for a disappointment. But I also don't think it's coming out soon. There are lots of things that can be done to improve on RCT3 in a non-graphical way. If the graphics are going to be dated on this, then we just have to hope this is an improvement in other areas.

ExtraCheese
03-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Definitely looking much worse than RCT3.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:40 PM
I bet if we got the exact same trailer but it had amazing graphics, everyone would be gushing over it. Which means all people really care about are graphics anymore. I find that really sad.

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm not saying the graphics aren't disappointing for 2015. I'm saying they're not what's really important to the game and this is a teaser. I also don't agree with people saying there's no improvement over RCT3's graphics. I see them, and believe me I've played RCT3 to death for a decade so I know what that game looks like. The fact of the matter is this franchise is no longer relevant enough to likely receive the kind of budget to have state of the art graphics. Its been dead for a decade, and almost all of the casual fans of RCT back in the day are likely long over the franchise. The diehards are all that's left. So they have to attract a new audience, which is never a guarantee they will and therefore likely means a smaller budget. I still hold this game is not far along at all. If it does come out soon, then yeah I think we're in for a disappointment. But I also don't think it's coming out soon. There are lots of things that can be done to improve on RCT3 in a non-graphical way. If the graphics are going to be dated on this, then we just have to hope this is an improvement in other areas.

Agreed, there is definitely improvements that we are more than likely not seeing in other area's, like as I mentioned, multiplayer, and the new track building system. I for one personally, was expecting more than that graphically, especially when the screenshots look like an entirely different game. I'm definitely all for going for a new audience and stuff I just don't think that teaser gameplayer trailer is going to do that but I cannot speak for budget allowances, could only speculate on that yes not going to get the mega millions that Star Citizen has, naturally, but definitely expected more than that though... a lot more... and so did everyone else....

Totally respect what you're saying though

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Agreed, there is definitely improvements that we are more than likely not seeing in other area's, like as I mentioned, multiplayer, and the new track building system. I for one personally, was expecting more than that graphically, especially when the screenshots look like an entirely different game. I'm definitely all for going for a new audience and stuff I just don't think that teaser gameplayer trailer is going to do that but I cannot speak for budget allowances, could only speculate on that yes not going to get the mega millions that Star Citizen has, naturally, but definitely expected more than that though... a lot more... and so did everyone else....

Totally respect what you're saying though
Thanks. I just think the fanbase is being way too harsh and I can just imagine the devs reading all this and feeling really discouraged. If they're going to release the same game as RCT3 with only minimally better graphics, then I will definitely complain too. But we're only at the gameplay reveal teaser. We certainly don't have the game in our hands yet.

ddrplaya4638
03-05-2015, 05:49 PM
The game play improvements I think everyone is excited about. However I think the fact that like you said the screen shots and the trailers look like two different games is astounding... the trailer doesn't look put together or pollished

AtiTech
03-05-2015, 05:52 PM
it's About both great game play and nice to see but the trailer even for early teaser looks **** they did not even try to build a nice looking park to use in the trailer why you wane show that i would be ashamed if i was a game developer. and we all had higher expectation because of the good looking screenshots that's why the negative reactions We can not yet evaluted how the game play is they didnt showed us , we can only evaluate what we see and at this point it's sad.

RCTAJ
03-05-2015, 05:55 PM
So then maybe this really is old footage if the screens look so different? I feel like mattlabb needs to give us some kind of completion report ASAP, or completion from when they took that teaser footage. Like if the game is still less than 50% done I would think that would make people look at the teaser a whole lot differently.

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 06:02 PM
So then maybe this really is old footage if the screens look so different? I feel like mattlabb needs to give us some kind of completion report ASAP, or completion from when they took that teaser footage. Like if the game is still less than 50% done I would think that would make people look at the teaser a whole lot differently.

Thats what I've been thinking today that it truely is simply really old footage, or footage from an old build, many developers have done that before taken footage from not the current build they have. Would really love clarification from mattlab on this though.

marc.nobel26
03-05-2015, 06:04 PM
First, when i saw the screenshots i was a bit concerned about the graphics. Now that i have seen this video im utterly dissapointed. How could they make a trailer like this and think that anyone would like it. The really violated the series with this crap. My last pieces of believe and hope are lost as well. Thanks for ****ing up my hopes and dreams atari!!!

mariogarza
03-05-2015, 06:20 PM
This garbage that doesn't even deserve to have the Roller Coaster Tycoon brand on its title. So disappointing.

Looks even worse than EA Sim Theme Park in its day. And yes, I created an account just to express just how disappointed I am, being a fan of the series since 1999.

Brad210
03-05-2015, 06:34 PM
This teaser trailer is disgraceful, stop defending this. Its going to be the final nail in the coffin for this franchise if this is indeed indicative of the actual game.

The difference in model quality even on those settings between the Ferris wheel, park entrance and then some of the themed rides, scream 'we switched developers' with the latter much low quality.

The screenshots has been totally misrepresented to the community. The coaster, what to even say?, is this real life? The rides, is this a Theme Park World (1999) expansion pack?

If this truly is just early footage and the game will indeed look more like the screenshots, then they should fire the whole marketing department. Its the worst game reveal footage, I think I've ever seen, infact the only part worth watching was that Goliath POV

Those few bashing Parkitect should bear in mind they have created a better looking game, with just two people, a single modeller, and programmer.

I have been lurking for weeks regarding this game without even commenting on all the tit for tat stuff but this has made me lose interest in the game

uhoh1
03-05-2015, 06:36 PM
I have also created an account here to say that the video posted is SHOCKING. I have been a follower of the series since the start, and have been looking forward to RCT World. If Atari genuinely think that such poor graphics are passable, they're wrong. We're in 2015, this game looks WORSE than RCT3! This game should look like the renders at the beginning and end of the video.

Truly Pathetic, Truly disappointing. Let's hope frontier can pull a decent game out of the bag next year.

mariogarza
03-05-2015, 06:42 PM
And to all the peeps comforting themselves in positivism: NO, this can't be old footage. NO, we shouldn't wait to be released to judge. This is what this CRAPPY GAME is going to be, a sincere disrespect to any Roller Coaster Tycoon series fan. The only way this game could be any good is by being scrapped and made from scratch. Personally I never actually played Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D or the RCT4 Mobile game... Just need one screenshot, just one video to see that those games don't belong in this franchise... So I was overly hyped and excited for the next PC instalment... So disappointed, they managed to make it look even worst.

mariogarza
03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
this teaser trailer is disgraceful, stop defending this. Its going to be the final nail in the coffin for this franchise if this is indeed indicative of the actual game.

The difference in model quality even on those settings between the ferris wheel, park entrance and then some of the themed rides, scream 'we switched developers' with the latter much low quality.

The screenshots has been totally misrepresented to the community. The coaster, what to even say?, is this real life? The rides, is this a theme park world (1999) expansion pack?

If this truly is just early footage and the game will indeed look more like the screenshots, then they should fire the whole marketing department. Its the worst game reveal footage, i think i've ever seen, infact the only part worth watching was that goliath pov

those few bashing parkitect should bear in mind they have created a better looking game, with just two people, a single modeller, and programmer.

I have been lurking for weeks regarding this game without even commenting on all the tit for tat stuff but this has made me lose interest in the game

amen...........

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Please don't be exited in a positive way before watching the video.

So the gameplay teaser of RTCW is finally out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgAhPffWsM

Some CGI cutscenes at the beginning and the end of the video. Seems quite cool, but... the graphics. Nevermind, discuss! :)

Edit:

It really looks like in the video the lowest graphic settings are set. But why would anyone to that?

I think the real question is what has happened between September of last year for the screenshot on the left to now with the screenshot on the right?

Thompso
03-05-2015, 06:58 PM
http://cdn2-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/2015/03/sWzBPvF.gif

This sums up every body's reaction reaction to the trailorI guess.

VACkillers
03-05-2015, 07:06 PM
indeed.....

ExtraCheese
03-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Worst, or best marketing ever if they reveal a much better looking trailer soon? That would be awesome!
*wishful dreaming*

ColossusInferno
03-05-2015, 07:20 PM
NO NO NO NO! 10 years of waiting! My hopes and dreams crushed!! NONONONO!

It is Rollecapat Tycoon 4 (mobile) for the pc! That is basically all it is in 3D! I don't care too much about realism but that is just dreadful!

I'm gonna cry. This isn't happening. Roll on Coaster Tycoon...

Andromeda
03-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I don't think I've ever been this disappointed looking at a trailer. The key graphic downgrade based on the trailer alone appears to be the water and coasters themselves. The coaster in the trailer looked like plastic. It had no shine, no metallic feeling what so ever. The water was the best graphical part in RCT3 and even now is still quite beautiful. The water here is blue... and that's all I can say about it really. But I want to believe. Just decent graphics would be fine with me. Something of an improvement from the last game, whatever. Right now it just doesn't look like that. Of course the gameplay is more important, but a lack of any sort of graphical improvement really kills immersion.

At the very least there's hope for Coaster Park Tycoon by Frontier. Looking at their ScreamRide, I couldn't imagine a coaster tycoon game with a graphic quality even close to that.

SparkyUK
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM

So I was thinking the image on the left was actual game footage that they were working on/testing. What on earth is the effort on the right?

Kranky
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
This footage looks like the mobile game. Like spot on so I don't know what is going on...

Dream Master
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
This have to be a troll, there no way it can be that bad! ....right?

justinm_
03-05-2015, 07:39 PM
im praying that its a joke and we'll just get a massive shock when its released!

M1nD1
03-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Waw i've just created an account because wow i'm really really disappointed, i mean wtf is this!!! @Area52 Did you ever play seriously at rct3 ? it's not themepark dudes!!! i've made this for you to understand:
http://i.imgur.com/5yUmzUT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yKpczMA.jpg

AND this is the vanilla game !!

No no really frustrated ...

mariogarza
03-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Funny how you can even see Superman: Escape From Krypton 00:50 into the trailer. Even the Superman Logo... for those thinking that footage is CGI. It's just a POV video from Goliath with some after filters and effects. Pretty lame. The best thing Atari could do is cancel this game and start from scratch.

Danny
03-05-2015, 08:33 PM
I really can't wait to see the devblog later where they thank us for all our 'astounding feedback', completely overlook all our true feelings and very subtly try to assure us they're doing everything in their power to ensure RCTW maintains the high quality the RCT franchise has upheld so far.

The Stig
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
The best thing Atari could do is cancel this game and start from scratch.

I bet you anything that they're still rolling forward in hopes that some really naive people might buy it.

mb1.0.2
03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
There's a few on this forum that will...they've said as much. They remind me of the people who fell for the people who made "Cards Against Humanity's" Black Friday prank...buy anything because of name recognition, even a box of bovine fecal matter.

justinm_
03-05-2015, 10:19 PM
I think atari always planned this to be a cash cow like rctm. I would rather see this whole thing cancelled and just wait for frontier to release Coaster Park Tycoon next year. I don't trust atari enough to make anything decent, the only thing they want is money!

The Stig
03-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Waw i've just created an account because wow i'm really really disappointed, i mean wtf is this!!! @Area52 Did you ever play seriously at rct3 ? it's not themepark dudes!!! i've made this for you to understand:

No no really frustrated ...

I have to say... Those RCT3 screens are looking pretty good right about now.
In fact, I think I might start playing again.

coaster6
03-05-2015, 10:38 PM

No no really frustrated ... Above, Atari's version of a theme park. Below an actual RCT player's theme park. A theme park isn't necessarily a park with complete theming. It;s about going the extra mile. Making every small detail, not just plopping down rides. Real life example? Disney and Universal. The parks are stunning because they don't just place down bumper cars. They make that 4 minute Bumper Cars ride the greatest one of you're life. My point is, let the player do all the customization. You just stick to giving them the tools to do it.

Angel
03-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I just finished reading all of the comments so far. I feel everything has been said already. There's no way I'll buy the game if this teaser is any indication of what the game is like. I'll keep an eye out for new developments, but I won't be checking the forum several times a day anymore. I have a very nice game on my computer. It's called Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. I'll stick with that for now, flaws and all. Yay RCT3!

buenokid
03-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I'm looking forward to Coaster Park Tycoon by Frontier. It's got to be better than this underwhelming pile of boar dung.

lohansony
03-06-2015, 02:10 AM
LOLOL 😂 that's funny.

Lmao. That made me lol.

Saskro
03-06-2015, 04:26 AM
:confused:
I also just created an account to respond to that awful trailer. I´ve been a fan of the RCT series since the first two games and a new RCT was the game I was dreaming about most. I followed these forums for the last couple of weeks hoping to get hyped but wondering about the lack of information. The early pictures and the features they talked about really kept my hopes up. But now this trailer is just a shame! Like many others I can´t believe my eyes. I never intended to say anything negative about the development stages of this game. But this just looks too terrible to let it pass. I´m really saddened... :(

sam_93
03-06-2015, 04:57 AM
Being one of the people who has tried to keep this a positive community, I will admit that even I find it hard not to be disappointed.

The screenshots looked pretty damn amazing, there is no way they're taken from the same game as the game play trailer. I think our worse fears have been confirmed... since Pipeworks have left development, it looks like Area 52 have completely screwed the game up. Despite everyone begging for realism, I've always said that both a mix of realism and RCT's 'quirks' would be perfect, and the screenshots shown that. This 'trailer' literally looks like an early 2000's game, I'm going to say it - it looks awful.

What I find odd is Mattlab has since shown screenshots since Pipeworks left development, are they still using their screenshots? Because like I said, there is no way on earth that is the same game that Matt shown us in that recent Western themed screen.

My only explanation is that due to pressure from the community (admit it, some of you have been pretty demanding) they've released something that isn't ready. On the contrary to that, Steam says "mid 2015" for release, surely a game wouldn't be in such rough stages with it being March now.

I just don't know, hopefully we'll get something official soon.

ExtraCheese
03-06-2015, 05:35 AM
So... I created a thread trying to analyze Area52. It won't be posted until a moderator approves it. I'm curious if it will ever see the light of day...

crionics
03-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Haha - this is a screen from a fun project back in 2007 that took me less than 4 month to develop. I think it looks slightly better than RCTW :D

BillyBlaze
03-06-2015, 06:21 AM
My only explanation is that due to pressure from the community (admit it, some of you have been pretty demanding) they've released something that isn't ready.
As if they had ever cared what the community was demanding... They hardly ever respond to any posts in this forum, so I doubt that they would release a mediocre trailer that might be a huge marketing disaster just to satisfy the biggest fans. The fans would have bought it anyway, even if they had been treated badly by the developers.

If the game is really like in this trailer I'm definetly not going to buy it. I can't stress enough how that is not only about the horribly outdated graphics, but also about the realism aspect. RCT fans are mostly theme park fans and want to build the parks of their dreams that could exist in reality. If I wanted to build a cartoonish fantasy park, I'd play the Theme Park games!
I think this has been pointed out many times on the forum, but maybe the developers rather listen to their marketing analysts who actually seem to believe that a game will sell better if you ignore your biggest fans and try to appeal to a casual audience instead...

However, I'm still confident that the trailer was just a joke or shows the game at an early stage. It has a lot to commend it. If that is the case I highly recommend claryfying it before everyone has completely given up on this game!

sam_93
03-06-2015, 06:33 AM
However, I'm still confident that the trailer was just a joke or shows the game at an early stage. It has a lot to commend it. If that is the case I highly recommend claryfying it before everyone has completely given up on this game!

Yes, but doesn't something seem very off!? Why would they release something as a 'joke'? The first gameplay reveal trailer is supposed to make people say 'wow' and want to buy the game - not leave a bad taste in people's mouths. What you said kinda proves my point, you wouldn't release a gameplay trailer of a game in it's very early stages - because it's not a true reflection of actual game play. Either the gameplay does actually look like this and if so I've lost hope for the game, or they have a really awful marketing team who are using old footage from the game in it's pre-alpha stages. Either way, this is a colossal mistake on their behalf.

It's so strange because the screencaps that Mattlab has been posting look so good! I hope to god they haven't been using screen caps from when Pipeworks were developing the game to market it, if so that is really bad and not fair on the consumers to be led to believe a game looks a particular way.

riggerz29
03-06-2015, 06:41 AM
I have had all the roller coaster tycoon games and i couldn't wait to see roller coaster tycoon world but after that im pretty disappointed, the graphics are shocking considering what technology is available today, i was hoping for a super realistic looking environment, character models etc, if it looked anywhere close to the cut scenes i would have been well chuffed but that is not the case.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 06:50 AM
This is such a weird trailer to release!!

the in game bits don't have shadows which we know are in the game, and the frame rate is appalling. Why on earth would they show off their own product in such a bad light (literally, bad lighting!!)

I can only assume that given they have moved this back to 'mid 2015' now, that they are going back to basics with the game engine and textures. that would explain why this was released looking so poor. Even Atari, no matter how self involved they are, must realise this looks no better that RCT3.

BIGGEST CONCERN though, is the coasters. They are fundamentally very poor. Not just graphically, they are jerky and jagged. Frankly Frontiers current coaster engine (currently in scream ride but must be the same as coater park tycoon) is generations ahead in terms of realism.

The only positive things I can see at this stage is the landscaping looks more flexible than RCT3, and you can clearly still murder people. But I fear Atari may be murdering the game before we get a chance...

Mtdmtd
03-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Well, I agree with most of you.
Im from Sweden, working as a music producer and I have also worked with PR and marketing.

Some of you have already said this but I say it again - its a joke.
Atari is lacking money, they need something or someone(s) to do their marketing for them. Releasing a video like this would and will go viral. And then - Boom, Baam, KABOOOM, The game is released without anyone knowing it and looks nothing like the video.

If this is the case (which i think it is) its a really good marketing strategy. Really good. The brain behind this one deserves a medal. I mean, The People producing the game arent idiots. Why release something that looks like an outdated rct3? And all The pics we have seen so far looks nothing like the video.

I can be wrong.
Do I think im wrong? No.

This is not the game.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Well, I agree with most of you.
Im from Sweden, working as a music producer and I have also worked with PR and marketing.

Some of you have already said this but I say it again - its a joke.
Atari is lacking money, they need something or someone(s) to do their marketing for them. Releasing a video like this would and will go viral. And then - Boom, Baam, KABOOOM, The game is released without anyone knowing it and looks nothing like the video.

If this is the case (which i think it is) its a really good marketing strategy. Really good. The brain behind this one deserves a medal. I mean, The People producing the game arent idiots. Why release something that looks like an outdated rct3? And all The pics we have seen so far looks nothing like the video.

I can be wrong.
Do I think im wrong? No.

This is not the game.

But how would that work as a marketing strategy? Are you saying that it will go viral because it's so bad?

Mtdmtd
03-06-2015, 07:31 AM
But how would that work as a marketing strategy? Are you saying that it will go viral because it's so bad?

I think so, yes.
I bet you have showed it to a friend?

paulbriffett
03-06-2015, 07:39 AM
I'm hoping that Mattlab announces in the next blog (hopefully today) that these are the graphics on very low settings, or they are improving the graphics before release date and just showing some gameplay. Maybe that might explain the delay...

Lycerin
03-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Seriously guys, thinking this is a joke or some kind of marketing strategy is way off reality. This would be far too intelligent. What you are doing there is getting desperate, hoping this is a joke. And I understand why. I'm deeply disappointed. This is a farce.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 07:43 AM
I haven't, they would mock me for originally being excited about the game lol!!!

I kinda get what you're saying, but I think making a video spread by making your own product look rubbish is beyond the limit of 'all publicity is good'!

I mean I could release an FPS game that required you to kill people... I could tattoo its title on my forehead and then go on a real killing spree to make sure the games name appeared in all press, tv, wanted posters. It probably wouldn't help sales though.. I expect people would make a point of not buying it in protest at the bloody mess I had made.

For the same reason... I think a lot of people that were going to buy RCTW may end up acquiring a copy via torrent. I don't condone piracy, but looking at this realistically - I think pretty much the entire community would want to try the game just because it's part of RCT. But paying for a game in 2015 that looks like it was made in 2005?? That's certainly not going to help people make an honest purchase!!

Mtdmtd
03-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Yeah. I still think its a PR stunt.

Or maybe they need more time on the game, release this video, and later "we hear you, and we listen to your feedback. We will fix whats wrong, release later this year or 2016" knowing all along they wouldnt release untill 2016

Deuce
03-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Yeah. I still think its a PR stunt.

Or maybe they need more time on the game, release this video, and later "we hear you, and we listen to your feedback. We will fix whats wrong, release later this year or 2016" knowing all along they wouldnt release untill 2016

It's nice that you want to see the positive in this. But the pre-rendered 'good' coaster bits show they already know what people wanted to see and expected to see. The only reason they have shown us this footage is to attempt to keep the community engaged whilst they quietly pushed the release date back.

The only positive I can see is that the game is clearly pretty much playable so probably could had been released when they said, so there is at least a slim chance that the delay in release is to allow time to consider if they do need to go back to the drawing board in a very big way.

If that were the case, then I guess it would also make sense they release game footage in order to gauge just how bigger mistake they had made and exactly what they need to put right.

In all probability though, they simply made a turd game and we're stuck with it.

FunrirWoulfe
03-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Here's my thoughts, they took the RCT3 engine & dropped whatever they had made so far down on it & did up a video of it to showcase what they had currently....

At least that's what it looks like, they do own that engine, right ?

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Here's my thoughts, they took the RCT3 engine & dropped whatever they had made so far down on it & did up a video of it to showcase what they had currently....

At least that's what it looks like, they do own that engine, right ?

Yes they do. And I too can't help thinking this looks like it was built on the same engine. I have thought that since the very first screen shots.

But I don't think they would have used old engine just for this video. When you build models and animations and AI you do it within the engine the game will run with. anything else would be extra effort and a complete waste of time.

In other words, at best this looks like a mild refresh of RCT3, probably same engine at the core with some tweaks. It looks like a game that would have been developed a few years after RCT3.

It's not that unusual to modify an old engine for a newer game. Half Life used the original quake engine despite quake II engine existing. And quake engine was last used 9 after it was used in quake, and 12 years after it was first used in a basic form for another ID game. Engine design is incredibly expensive, it would make sense for Atari to use the engine they own and try and modernise engine a bit, and throw in higher poly content now PCs are faster.

That would explain the very demanding system requirements for the low quality visuals.

crionics
03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
RCT3 uses the Cobra Engine which is property of Frontier. I don't think that Atari licensed it for RCTW ;)

imiha
03-06-2015, 09:17 AM
So this means we are officially doomed?

justinm_
03-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Not necessarily , frontier know what we want and theyr'e releasing coaster park tycoon next year, its more waiting around but id rather wait for something good than settle for a quick release of rctw

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:22 AM
RCT3 uses the Cobra Engine which is property of Frontier. I don't think that Atari licensed it for RCTW ;)

Why not? They need an engine, and cobra fits the bill. Obviously an very old version of cobra engine. Cobra has been developed for over a decade and exists in many different generations. The latest 64bit engine is what powers cream ride, and is clearly very competent. I imagine licensing that version would cost a lot as it essentially gives you a game minus artwork and content (you can build a game inside cobra - hence its suitability for RCT games).

Licensing a version a generation or two ahead of RCT3 variant would be quite cheap. It is also possible the engine was licensed for RCT3 and future games within the franchise. Atari have released more recent versions of RCT3 over the years so this would make sense.

crionics
03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Why not?

Because usually if you start a new game, you'll build your own engine or take a standard engine with a good documentation and community and not an inhouse engine from a competitor. But who knows in this case - everything seems do be done wrong in the development of RCTW .. :D

VACkillers
03-06-2015, 09:38 AM
while we're on the subject of game engines, if that was the case of licensing a new engine, you might as well just have gone straight to the Unreal Engine 4 which is now free and a heck of a lot more powerful then a 10 yr old cobra engine with some out of this world realism and graphical fidelity that meets 2015.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Because usually if you start a new game, you'll build your own engine or take a standard engine with a good documentation and community and not an inhouse engine from a competitor. But who knows in this case - everything seems do be done wrong in the development of RCTW .. :D

There are very few engines available for this sort of game, with such a large number of on screen assets(even fewer that are very modern).

It looks so much like RCT3 that I wouldn't be amazed if they did use an old version of cobra engine, or in fact the same version. although I wouldn't be surprised either way to be honest.

All that really matters is it's clearly not shown any signs of being modern or impressive. And the latest version of cobra, which is what Frontier must be using for their new game, has been shown to do quite amazing things. And with old hardware too.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 09:47 AM
while we're on the subject of game engines, if that was the case of licensing a new engine, you might as well just have gone straight to the Unreal Engine 4 which is now free and a heck of a lot more powerful then a 10 yr old cobra engine with some out of this world realism and graphical fidelity that meets 2015.

FPS engines really not great for this sort of game.

crionics
03-06-2015, 10:00 AM

Cobra is under constant development:
https://www.frontier.co.uk/our_technology/

Coasterpark Tycoon will use it, too.

There are very few engines available for this sort of game, with such a large number of on screen assets(even fewer that are very modern).

While most engines are optimized for fps-games, you can build a tycoon game with any engine if you spend enough time in optimization ;). At the moment most developers use Unity for those titles with a high amount of dynamic objects (Cities in Motion 2 / Cities:Skylines / Parkitect...)

VACkillers
03-06-2015, 10:03 AM
FPS engines really not great for this sort of game.

While that is true, UE4 isn't not like your every day engine, its not a FPS engine. There are 100s of completely different and diverse games that use the unreal engine its absolutely insane! from adventure games, 2D games, side scrolling, strategy games, sports games as well as shooters. UE4 is MORE than capable of doing a sim. Might have to modify it a bit but it is still free with 5% royalties which is absolutely nothing.

VACkillers
03-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Cobra is under constant development:
https://www.frontier.co.uk/our_technology/

Coasterpark Tycoon will use it, too.

While most engines are optimized for fps-games, you can build a tycoon game with any engine if you spend enough time in optimization ;). At the moment most developers use Unity for those titles with a high amount of dynamic objects (Cities in Motion 2 / Cities:Skylines / Parkitect...)

Wow the Elite: Dengerous is using cobra? thats impressive!! I didn't know that. The current cobra engine isn't really the same though like it was 10 years ago, there probably is barely any code that resembles it from 10 years ago though because that has been heavily modded and changed since but yes i can see its more then enough for a coaster game. (the newest version of it)

Deuce
03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
This is a coaster based on current cobra engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW120Vhxims

Obviously it's not the sort of game i want to play. Also the graphics are limited as the game was developed to run on old xbox.

But compare the smoothness of the tracks with what Ataris has been able to show... It's worlds apart.

As Frontier are building their own park sim game it seems beyond doubt that the game 'screamride' is effectively just a way of getting some console cash into the project by breaking out their current version coaster builder.

Add to the above they built Zoo tycoon: http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/93/c5/93c57006-defd-45fa-9069-2d224ef7ea49.jpg?n=ZooTycoon_09_955x537.jpg

And you can pretty much guess how their new park sim will look, and how polished it will all be.

VACkillers
03-06-2015, 10:27 AM
This is a coaster based on current cobra engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW120Vhxims

Obviously it's not the sort of game i want to play. Also the graphics are limited as the game was developed to run on old xbox.

But compare the smoothness of the tracks with what Ataris has been able to show... It's worlds apart.

As Frontier are building their own park sim game it seems beyond doubt that the game 'screamride' is effectively just a way of getting some console cash into the project by breaking out their current version coaster builder.

Add to the above they built Zoo tycoon: http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/93/c5/93c57006-defd-45fa-9069-2d224ef7ea49.jpg?n=ZooTycoon_09_955x537.jpg

And you can pretty much guess how their new park sim will look, and how polished it will all be.

That screenshot looks pretty decent!

ExtraCheese
03-06-2015, 10:33 AM
That screenshot shows how RCTW should have looked like. Those are graphics which fit for a modern simulation game!

Deuce
03-06-2015, 10:36 AM
That screenshot shows how RCTW should have looked like. Those are graphics which fit for a modern simulation game!

Exactly. that was what Frontier did in 2012, so I assume coded in 2010-11. So I'm pretty confident to say that whatever they come up for their next park sim, will be at least that good. I mean, you can't really have grids systems and rigid paths in a modern day game. It's just silly.

darkhorizon
03-06-2015, 10:47 AM
And it's safe to assume that if even Zoo Tycoon has curved paths, Coaster Park Tycoon might very well have them too!

Deuce
03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
And it's safe to assume that if even Zoo Tycoon has curved paths, Coaster Park Tycoon might very well have them too!

Yeah I can't think of a reason they would develop curved paths and then go back to the old way. This is what makes me think Atari must be using a very old engine for RCTW as they must have known other games had moved away from grid based layout. They can't believe people want the grid in this day and age.

HipsterJesus
03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
The graphics look horrible, just as I said months before when I saw the screenshots. It just looks like RCT 3 a 10 year old game!!! Well what did I expect...

kensulu
03-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I have been reading the forums here from basically from the beginning. I don't comment much as you can see but I will say is there have been many many posts about seeing progress on the game and footage and gameplay. They did not want to release it so soon as they are still working on it. Now they give you a teaser and I agree it is rough but I bet it is intentionally tweaked down as they are not finished but wanted to respond to the many many posts of wanting to see game footage. So now we got one early early in the development and all that seems to be going on now is bashing them. So now I would expect nothing from Atari on footage or teasers until they are finished with the game. So now the tone has been set that you have now spoken to Atari don't release any footage until you are finshed. So I say I hope no one asks for any footage until Atari is ready to do that with a finished game.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 01:41 PM
I have been reading the forums here from basically from the beginning. I don't comment much as you can see but I will say is there have been many many posts about seeing progress on the game and footage and gameplay. They did not want to release it so soon as they are still working on it. Now they give you a teaser and I agree it is rough but I bet it is intentionally tweaked down as they are not finished but wanted to respond to the many many posts of wanting to see game footage. So now we got one early early in the development and all that seems to be going on now is bashing them. So now I would expect nothing from Atari on footage or teasers until they are finished with the game. So now the tone has been set that you have now spoken to Atari don't release any footage until you are finshed. So I say I hope no one asks for any footage until Atari is ready to do that with a finished game.

Sorry but the fact the fan base wants to see how the game is coming along is normal. That doesn't mean we shouldn't get upset if what they show us is shocking.

I don't even agree that people are bashing Atari that much. But there is really nothing positive to say about what they showed us and it has realised many users fears about how the game was being handled.

Last but not least. Atari is a business. They don't care how they're told it's rubbish, but they will be keen to know if that's what people think. They want the game to be so good that people will give them their money. The sooner they realise that won't be happening the better surely? Even if they release 10 updated clips and each one gets shot down, it's far better than releasing a game they think will do OK and only realising a week later that no one is impressed.

DMB1985
03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Reading these threads I'm staggered that there are people that actually believe the trailer is intended as a joke. There is no logical benefit from releasing a trailer that makes your game look like a pile of crap. It would be quite possibly the worst way to market the game. Just reading these forums you can see how this has killed all hype for the game. I can only assume those who believe this is a joke are in denial.

Wabigbear
03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
It wasn't the fans who announced the game to great fanfare some months ago.
It's not the fans who trumpeted opening this forum and encouraged everyone to join.
It's not the fans who introduced not one, but TWO community managers who promised constant interaction with everyone here.
It's not the fans who REPEATEDLY posted that new screenshots and videos were being prepared and that new things were just about to be reveled at any moment and bragged about how wonderful the game was.
It's not the fans who posted that this game uses cutting edge graphics.
It's not the fans who claimed a big presence at GDC.
It's not the fans who released this terrible trailer.

But let's blame the fans?

It's not even just the fans who are 'bashing' it, take a look at some of the gaming sites, some are even harsher than anything posted here.

kensulu
03-06-2015, 01:51 PM
I read the first 13 pages of this particular forum, not saying I disagree with most of the comments but a good I guess 90 percent are bashing the video in one form or another. I too expected more visually from the game. I too hope that is much better than what they just showed. I agree the still pictures was what I hope is going to be the finished game. I also realize they jumped in to give what everyone was asking for a snippit or teaser of the game and also realizing they are not finished. My point being that it is not finished and most here seem to abandon the game thinking this is going to be the finished game. It is far too early to have that opinion. When the game is going to be released in a month or less and it still looks like it did in the teaser then I totally agree.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 01:56 PM
I read the first 13 pages of this particular forum, not saying I disagree with most of the comments but a good I guess 90 percent are bashing the video in one form or another. I too expected more visually from the game. I too hope that is much better than what they just showed. I agree the still pictures was what I hope is going to be the finished game. I also realize they jumped in to give what everyone was asking for a snippit or teaser of the game and also realizing they are not finished. My point being that it is not finished and most here seem to abandon the game thinking this is going to be the finished game. It is far too early to have that opinion. When the game is going to be release in a month or less and it still looks like it did in the teaser then I totally agree.

But most people realise it's not a finished game and that things will get tidied up a lot. That's not the problem though! The issue is that even if the graphics were improved to look like the screens, so much of the basic stuff is wrong. Atari appear to have not listened to the community at all. So why worry about what is said now? One assumes they're happy to carry on not listening.

I also doubt they released that trailer because 'we asked for it/begged for it'. The last game sold 10m copies. That means this will be a big(ish) seller even if it's rubbish. They aren't planning their press releases around the demands of a hundred or so hardcore fans that keep asking for them.

crick
03-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Are you serious? This looks like a RCT3-Addon and that game is from 2004. I just don't get it.

GoobyPls
03-06-2015, 03:06 PM
I read the first 13 pages of this particular forum, not saying I disagree with most of the comments but a good I guess 90 percent are bashing the video in one form or another. I too expected more visually from the game. I too hope that is much better than what they just showed. I agree the still pictures was what I hope is going to be the finished game. I also realize they jumped in to give what everyone was asking for a snippit or teaser of the game and also realizing they are not finished. My point being that it is not finished and most here seem to abandon the game thinking this is going to be the finished game. It is far too early to have that opinion. When the game is going to be released in a month or less and it still looks like it did in the teaser then I totally agree.

It's not only the horrible graphics. As Deuce wrote, most basic stuff seems terrible from the trailer.
In my opinion, the only good thing is the Background (the scenery outside of the park, where you can't build)
The Coasters don't feel smooth and have toothpick supports, it looks like we get only (or mostly) prefab placable scenery and so much more that annoys me. Of course this could be some kind of pre-alpha build, but if not, the game is trash.

Deuce
03-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I've had some time to think and I just can't get over the state of this game at all. I've put aside little niggles for a long time. Like the paths: I know other games have had curved paths for a long time and also the ability to freely rotate objects away from the grid. But I told myself if the graphics were amazing and the coaster editor amazing it could work. But looking at this, even if the graphics were 10 times better, 10 times more detailed, it's still way short of what TPS has managed on a kickstarter budget. It's years behind zoo tycoon that frontier made years ago. The coaster editor even when it was very first built should be smooth even if not pretty. But it's not.

The free iPhone game 'coaster crazy' is far superior at making smooth track. Arghhh!!!!

BillyBlaze
03-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Do you think this mess can be fixed in the remaining few months? They would basically have to start over to turn this into a good game. 3D models can still be improved, but shading, lighting, anti-aliasing are all part of the engine. I would think that they max everything they have for a trailer, even if the visuals are not finished. Then all the attractions look even more unrealistic and cartoonish than the worst ones in RCT 3. Shops still consist of small booths. Rollercoasters remind me of Theme Park World, not even close to realism. Do you think this all is going to change after they have already showed it in a gameplay trailer that is supposed to make people want to play the game?

They don't seem to have listened to the fans at all and if they spend the remaining months making the game at least look as good as RCT 3 I highly doubt that there will be time to actually make it an IMPROVEMENT compared to RCT 3, gameplay-wise!

And then they didn't even take the time to build a decent looking park with realistic rollercoasters for the trailer... I think all the bashing is well deserved.

mariogarza
03-06-2015, 06:46 PM
So pathetic people defending this piece of trash, o even assuming that this is some sort of joke or stunt, how foolish.

Just look at this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC_nc7LwGWw) trailer released more than a decade ago for RCT3. Still looks way better than this so-called joke.

It's evident that Atari is making yet another cash cow using the RCT brand. Very disrespectful to us RCT series fans.

SparkyUK
03-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I bet you have showed it to a friend?

Guilty as charged...

I thought it might be an attempt at a viral, but it's a risky game to play. Frontier are working on a similar game, and this could very well dilute interest of this one, even if it is coming out a year later.

justinm_
03-06-2015, 06:54 PM
The people defending this are most probably working for atari or area 52. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more accounts next week trying to defend the teaser. Unless the end product is very different to the teaser I wont be buying it and will wait for Frontier to release coaster park tycoon next year.

SparkyUK
03-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm starting to wonder if those defending the trailer work for Area52...

Deuce
03-06-2015, 07:21 PM
The trailer seems to be based on the game before area52 took over. And as their site is months out of date as is all their social media, and given they aren't even credited in the trailer, AND given the fact the games release date has moved back, I'm wondering if they're even still involved - let alone posting on here.

justinm_
03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Thats a good point and i kind of hope its true so that we can go to a new, more experienced studio

JaydenIrwin
03-06-2015, 08:19 PM
I couldn't agree more! I was so excited with the first trailer, then I see this! It's aweful!! The models are low quality, the shadows are low quality, and have you seen the frame rate when the scaffolding is coming off the structures!! RCTW team, you are starting to go in a very scary direction. This is not at all to RCT franchise standards. :(

BAC1286
03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
I know some people are saying/hoping that the footage shown as Alpha. I work as a marketing manager, and I can tell you that due to the amount of negative feedback, the first thing Atari would have done if this were the case, would be to scream from the mountain tops that this footage was from early in development.

They haven't done this and are letting the negative opinions fester. This is enough for me to consider that this trailer was green lit and allowed to go through as is, allowing consumers to believe it is close to final development. Why let your potential customers believe something is represented as a final product when it isn't ... unless it is, and they're to embarrassed to own up to it?

Everyone works generally hard to make a living. Sixty dollars isn't cheap, and I expect both the graphics and the game play to be worth my money. If this is what Atari has to offer. It's a piss poor excuse for a game.

tycoon
03-06-2015, 10:49 PM
further, the screen shots he is posting as proof are entirely from the point of time that pipeworks was developing the game, as would be the 'live and very real alpha' that he would have seen in september. that fact in itself, leads me to believe that indeed he is referencing the trailer we've all seen and linked above, as the one 'we had our hands on... in its lesser cut back then'... there is absolutely no telling what happened in terms of the alpha he's seen, what happened in the aftermath of pipeworks leaving the project, and where the previous work product is or where the game is today.

in short, i give no credibility to his claims, for those reasons, and the fact that everything he states as fact is either questionable (what trailer is it, exactly), or the fact that much has changed since september, most notably the game developer.

kensulu
03-06-2015, 11:25 PM
I was looking at screen shots of the buildings they showed and characters and the rendering of those shots are far more detailed than what we saw in the teaser. Hopefully it is just that they turned down the resolution knowing it was for a teaser video. Just a bit of wishing I hope. Would be nice to hear from Atari the reason it looked the way it did. Or they are scrambling to correct the decision they made to make it so low res.

Helena
03-07-2015, 01:26 AM
I returned to this, and watched the new trailer.
What the hell is that pile of crap? It looks like a low budget buggy game from 2001 (from some obscure produces that you buy from the budget bin)

RCT3 is too buggy and clunky for me to enjoy it now, but it looks 100 times better than this steaming pile of ****. RCT3:s peeps are ugly, but the rest looks much better. And that's a decade old game, and the predecessor. You would want an improved game, not a game that goes back? Both in graphics wise, and the landscaping, the rollercoasters look...

If this is just some ploy, well, let's see.. But for now I have lost hopes.

Atari: change back to Frontier (all is forgiven from me) and extend the release to late 2016. Shorter time = worser game.

BUT, as you say, Frontier make their own game now, maybe we should look at that one instead, and put our hopes on them, and then we can hack the title+intro to say RCT. ;)

Cities Skylines is another game I am looking at, as replacement for Simcity. Maybe the coaster park tycoon would be similar.

Kombiice
03-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Hey !! In the Blog post: Dev Blog 5, wehere are you, mattlab hat a conversation with the users and explained that the Trailer footage was very old and the visual wasnt setup finally. Here you can read one respond!!

http://prntscr.com/6dratl

I made a video, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbwIkgsogw4

[don't dislike, because you don't understand it :P]

Deuce
03-07-2015, 07:24 AM
This still makes no sense.

If it's bad because it was from an early build, then why show it? Why not show the more recent stuff?

What other game can you think of that was nearly finished and then released a trailer showing early development footage from when the game wasn't really even playable. Mattlab says it is 'designed to show progress of the game' but why show us progress from 6 months ago today? Why would anyone care to see that 6 months ago there were no shadows, jerky coasters and that the paths didn't link up :confused:

RandomMrBrick
03-07-2015, 07:26 AM

If it's bad because it was from an early build, then why show it? Why not show the more recent stuff?

What other game can you think of that was nearly finished and then released a trailer showing early development footage from when the game wasn't really even playable. Mattlab says it is 'designed to show progress of the game' but why show us progress from 6 months ago today? Why would anyone care to see that 6 months ago there were no shadows, jerky coasters and that the paths didn't link up :confused:

I like your point. It may be to show off a few assets in the game?

Deuce
03-07-2015, 07:29 AM
I like your point. It may be to show off a few assets in the game?

But 6 months later they must have the same assets and more, and better looking. Unless they don't of course.

Look, it's been clear since early yesterday that this trailer is 6 months old. It shows work from pre-area52. That seems pointless. Something has happened with Area 52 involvement. Where is their work? Where is their credit on trailer? Why is game suddenly delayed to 2015?

Retinad
03-07-2015, 07:32 AM
I don't think they have progessed a lot from what they have shown in the trailer. The graphics still sucked on the pictures MattLab showed us in his blogs, (looked a lot like RCT3) but the graphics from the trailer look a lot worse than that.

stoney101
03-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm sorry but no he didn't say it was early alpha footage nor did he say the footage was very old, the only thing he did say was that it was from an 'early build' we don't know how old that 'early build' is, he could just be saying that so people get off their backs for the time being.

tycoon
03-07-2015, 09:16 AM
He does NOT say that the trailer was indeed from early alpha, he said, and i quote:

We will be posting a blog early next week about the status of the game and our plans. Until then you should know that we will not release a game that is not ready and are taking the time to do it right. I would also like to add that the teaser trailer was designed to show progress of the game but is not fully representative of the final game. For example, visually there is a lot of work left to do. It is as many have suspected from an early build, which we will provide more details on next week.

it is from 'an early build'. regardless of that, 'it was designed to show progress of the game' - seriously - what progress? it looks like crap regardless, so i don't buy that justification. and 'early build' can very well mean last week, until his comments are clarified. just don't go putting words in their mouth like 'early alpha' - it's their job, not yours, to put words in their mouth and until they do, nothing in particular can be gleamed from mattlab's 'stay tuned for next week' type comments.

Wabigbear
03-07-2015, 09:31 AM
We also don't know if Area 52 just continued building upon Pipeworks stuff and uses the same game engine...or if instead they had to start over with just some of the previous completed assets. We don't know for a fact that the trailer was Pipeworks or Area 52's work...or a combination of them BOTH - old and new.

People who are blaming Pipeworks simply don't know what they are talking about.

AFKELLOGG
03-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Guys the gameplay trailer is pre alpha Atari show this trailer to the press during Pax Prime 2014

Wabigbear
03-07-2015, 09:44 AM
There's been no proof of that. Atari said is was 'early build' footage, they didn't say it was 'early alpha'. Only one site that I know of mentioned that they had seen a similar trailer back then.

Joe Android
03-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Atari has said that the trailer is Alpha. In the next blog, they will explain the reasons for this. ;)

ExtraCheese
03-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Atari has said that the trailer is Alpha. In the next blog, they will explain the reasons for this. ;)

No they did not. They said it was early footage, not alpha.

BAC1286
03-07-2015, 11:09 AM

If this was indeed from Alpha, and it wasn't, it's still horrible. Graphics can not be altered a greate deal once the gaming engine is developed and in use. They would have to essentially start from scratch with this and develop or use a different engine to really make a difference.

Unless this is a big joke or an accidental release and what we've seen isn't anywhere near what the final product will be, i'm not touching this game. I was excited for it and was paying attention to the dev blogs, but now I've now lost most if not all hope for this game.

Deuce
03-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Lots of different views and lots of ppl seeking a silver lining or convincing themselves it can be fixed.

But consider this:

Even if this is from a very early stage of development, it's still heading towards a crap game no matter what they have done since. I say this because a game that is 10 years newer than RCT3 should NEVER at any stage of development look anything like what we have been shown.

It's so clearly a very low budget effort. And there is no shortage of evidence that Atari hasn't spent very much on this. You can't make a AAA game if you use a tiny developer that has only done micro and mobile games in the past.

MR.sugar
03-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Even if it's true, they probably have nothing better to show if they release such a trailer...

Joe Android
03-07-2015, 12:41 PM
If this was indeed from Alpha, and it wasn't, it's still horrible. Graphics can not be altered a greate deal once the gaming engine is developed and in use. They would have to essentially start from scratch with this and develop or use a different engine to really make a difference.

Unless this is a big joke or an accidental release and what we've seen isn't anywhere near what the final product will be, i'm not touching this game. I was excited for it and was paying attention to the dev blogs, but now I've now lost most if not all hope for this game.
The final game will be what the images show, images that show a better quality product than the trailer.

Anyway, don'texpect a perfect game, Atari's big mistake was not work again with Frontier. Frontier has more years of experience in simulation that Pipeworks and Area 52.

Joe Android
03-07-2015, 12:44 PM
No they did not. They said it was early footage, not alpha.
And what is the difference? Anyway, the point is that the trailer shows a very early phase of the game, not surprisingly, because the graphics look ugly.
I know a person who had the opportunity to try the game in his hands, and says that the game isn't the **** that shows that trailer, and that is much better than RCT3.

darkhorizon
03-07-2015, 12:56 PM
And what is the difference? Anyway, the point is that the trailer shows a very early phase of the game, not surprisingly, because the graphics look ugly.
I know a person who had the opportunity to try the game in his hands, and says that the game isn't the **** that shows that trailer, and that is much better than RCT3.

There's a huge difference between "early alpha" and "earlier build", as Mattlab confirmed. Earlier build could mean anything. It could mean a build from 3 weeks ago. It could easily be the current build, but if they rebuilt the game, let's say, today, then technically that would classify it as an earlier build.

Why would Atari make a teaser showing a super old build, or alpha footage? Really? That makes zero sense. That is honestly just gripping at straws.

Accept it. They have an awful game right now. Can they fix it? Maybe. But it's so funny how they were boasting about the "hi-res graphics" and "AAA quality", and then they release that teaser. Again, makes ZERO sense.

Z0MBI3KILL3R1234
03-07-2015, 12:56 PM
They may be implying that it is pre-alpha

allen
03-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Lots of different views and lots of ppl seeking a silver lining or convincing themselves it can be fixed.

But consider this:

Even if this is from a very early stage of development, it's still heading towards a crap game no matter what they have done since. I say this because a game that is 10 years newer than RCT3 should NEVER at any stage of development look anything like what we have been shown.

It's so clearly a very low budget effort. And there is no shortage of evidence that Atari hasn't spent very much on this. You can't make a AAA game if you use a tiny developer that has only done micro and mobile games in the past.

Developers don't invest in games like years before. Most games today are paid from the amount of sales, like a commission. The developer is paid from what the actual game makes, and even then its iffy. This is why developers are now looking at alternative ways to finance a game, in the way of early access, and kickstarter. Think of it as you planning a party, and not for sure how many people will show up.

buenokid
03-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Well then stop implying it's pre-alpha and just say so you stupid developers!

Crap looks like crap and that is all this game is right now. Stop trying to create excuses for the devs and everyone else working on this game.

Let THEM prove they are really doing what they say they are.

Deuce
03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Developers don't invest in games like years before. Most games today are paid from the amount of sales, like a commission. The developer is paid from what the actual game makes, and even then its iffy. This is why developers are now looking at alternative ways to finance a game, in the way of early access, and kickstarter. Think of it as you planning a party, and not for sure how many people will show up.

I didn't say developers invest in games. I said Atari (the producers) employed cheap developers to do the job. Whatever the terms of payment to the developers, it is a fact that an 11 man band like area52 are not sufficient to deliver a modern 2015 game that is advanced today as RCT3 was back in its day. You could tie up twice as many people as they have just creating the models and animation that was in RCT3 in the 6-7 months they have actually been working on the game.

Retinad
03-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Guys the gameplay trailer is pre alpha Atari show this trailer to the press during Pax Prime 2014

Let's say you own a clothing store and you exhibit the most disgusting, ugly looking and even ripped apart clothes in your shopwindow, of course no one is going to visit your store. However, then you say, "OH, those are the clothes I've got a while ago and nobody wanted to buy, LELZ."

What actual sense would that statement make? Yes, none. And that's what Atari did, they don't have anything better to show.

Retinad
03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
There's a huge difference between "early alpha" and "ealier build", as Mattlab confirmed. Earlier build could mean anything. It could mean a build from 3 weeks ago. It could easily be the current build, but if they rebuilt the game, let's say, today, then technically that would classify it as an earlier build.

Why would Atari make a teaser showing a super old build, or alpha footage? Really? That makes zero sense. That is honestly just gripping at straws.

Accept it. They have an awful game right now. Can they fix it? Maybe. But it's so funny how they were boasting about the "hi-res graphics" and "AAA quality", and then they release that teaser. Again, makes ZERO sense.

And that is exactly why I don't believe in anything MattLab is trying to tell us in his "DevBlogs". Everything he said, concerning the visual looks of the game, was a lie.

Sam223
03-07-2015, 03:52 PM
This isnt just about graphics,the gameplay looks **** aswell. Looks like less customisation than "theme park" whereas rct has always been about customisation. Why on earth they decided to release a trailer that looks so bad, then decide to tell us after that its early footage, when the game was originally due to be shipped in a few weeks i have no idea. The logical explanation being that the game is a pile of crap at the minute,they overlooked the fact that people do have standards they expect and are now panicking and back tracking. With the fear that no one will buy a steaming turd now that they have seen game footage and not just screenshots.

I asume they thought we'd all be saying how great the trailer looks now,when in reality it's completely the opposite. BTW mattlab will always bend the truth to drum up interest. Hes here just to relay information which has been pre vetted,making the game sound good regardless of quality. The proof will always be the actual footage,which weve now seen.

BAC1286
03-07-2015, 03:55 PM
This isnt just about graphics,the gameplay looks **** aswell. Looks like less customisation than "theme park" whereas rct has always been about customisation. Why on earth they decided to release a trailer that looks so bad, then decide to tell us after that its early footage, when the game was originally due to be shipped in a few weeks i have no idea. The logical explanation being that the game is a pile of crap at the minute,they overlooked the fact that people do have standards they expect and are now panicking and back tracking. With the fear that no one will buy a steaming turd now that they have seen game footage and not just screenshots.

I asume they thought we'd all be saying how great the trailer looks now,when in reality it completely the opposite. BTW mattlab will always bend the truth to drum up interest. Hes here just to relay information which has been pre vetted,making the game sound good regardless of quality. The proff will always be the actual footage,which weve now seen.

It isn't all about the graphics, but I want a game that looks at least better than the one created 10 years ago! Also, did we honestly think that the image we were given a few weeks ago (See attached) was actually graphically good?263

Sam223
03-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Even if it's true, they probably have nothing better to show if they release such a trailer...
This.If they have since improved the quality of the game why show it in it worse possible light. Its not like GDC was announced last month,theyve had plenty of time to prepare a quality trailer. If the bad quality trailer was really to show how the game has progressed from the early stages,why not show the comparison within the video. Comparing bad to nothing will always make your product look bad. Especially when you dont even inform your players that they should be comparing.

Menno
03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
This.If they have since improved the quality of the game why show it in it worse possible light. Its not like GDC was announced last month,theyve had plenty of time to prepare a quality trailer. If the bad quality trailer was really to show how the game has progressed from the early stages,why not show the comparison within the video. Comparing bad to nothing will always make your product look bad. Especially when you dont even inform your players that they should be comparing.
Making a trailer or demo of the game takes resources away from the development of the main game. You always need to way the cost to gain ratio. (I think extra credits did an episode about this, can't find it though) If they had made a proper explanation of what the trailer is nobody would be upset. We'd all be happy they showed at least some footage. But as I said in a dedicated post they are screwing up marketing royally which is why there is such a backlash every time they (don't) do something. Which to be honest is not a good place to be in.

Sam223
03-07-2015, 04:27 PM
It isn't all about the graphics, but I want a game that looks at least better than the one created 10 years ago! Also, did we honestly think that the image we were given a few weeks ago (See attached) was actually graphically good?263

I agree,i want the game to look good aswell.Especially since computers are finally capable of running a full 3d rct without it being super low poly,or super low frame rate. Just saying that gameplay looks bad in the trailer aswell as mattlab recently said that the 'early trailer' showed graphics before they are improved. They arent the only problem.

imiha
03-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Making a trailer from a current game does not take that much time. It's a minute of video material. They build a (terrible, but still) park and they could use it and just record a video with newer version of the game. This and video production should not take more than a few hours, because they just had to rerecord the video in the new game, everything else stays the same.

Joe Android
03-07-2015, 04:43 PM
There's a huge difference between "early alpha" and "earlier build", as Mattlab confirmed. Earlier build could mean anything. It could mean a build from 3 weeks ago. It could easily be the current build, but if they rebuilt the game, let's say, today, then technically that would classify it as an earlier build.

The only thing I want is that quality will be exactly what the pictures show. In Steam there the famous images that we all know, if the game is much worse than that, not only they are selling smoke, take us for idiots.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10599254_1493206830918411_5434513595261776639_n.jp g?oh=200d939e50d3030f3ec8372bc51746c9&oe=55729E80&__gda__=1434367167_a0f721043fc41741932d3afa6ecd943 0

Sam223
03-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Making a trailer or demo of the game takes resources away from the development of the main game. You always need to way the cost to gain ratio. (I think extra credits did an episode about this, can't find it though) If they had made a proper explanation of what the trailer is nobody would be upset. We'd all be happy they showed at least some footage. But as I said in a dedicated post they are screwing up marketing royally which is why there is such a backlash every time they (don't) do something. Which to be honest is not a good place to be in.
I understand that,the current trailer looks like it was made in about 5 hours though.Real life POV footage,bit of 3d text (which takes about 30 seconds to make) and a few bits of gameplay footage. Not really a cinematic experience. Even if they allocated 5 days to 1 person,its a tiny amount of time in the total development and would have made a huge difference.

A few 100$ for a decent video is nothing when you are expecting 100's of thousands in return from sales.

Marvin
03-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Making a trailer from a current game does not take that much time. It's a minute of video material. They build a (terrible, but still) park and they could use it and just record a video with newer version of the game. This and video production should not take more than a few hours, because they just had to rerecord the video in the new game, everything else stays the same.

Exactly, especially for this trailer. This looks like it was made the night before they put it up.

darkhorizon
03-07-2015, 05:40 PM
The only thing I want is that quality will be exactly what the pictures show. In Steam there the famous images that we all know, if the game is much worse than that, not only they are selling smoke, take us for idiots.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10599254_1493206830918411_5434513595261776639_n.jp g?oh=200d939e50d3030f3ec8372bc51746c9&oe=55729E80&__gda__=1434367167_a0f721043fc41741932d3afa6ecd943 0

I agree 100%. Those screens are pretty dang nice to look it. These were released when Pipeworks were still the developers, so I have a feeling that when Atari dumped them, they dumped most of the coding Pipeworks had, as well. Hence why the teaser looks drastically different/worse. It would also explain the lack of screens and strange behavior by Atari since they brought in Area52.

rave2014e
03-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Something doesn't add up this does not look or feel like Roller Coaster Tycoon. Did Atari actually post that video. It looks very unprofessional like they just threw it in there. Please verify if it's a real trailer or not?

disasterbenz
03-07-2015, 05:57 PM
YOU GUYS ARE SUCH WHINY BABIES!
He said it was early footage to showcase their progress hence teaser!
They even pushed the release date back to make sure they get it right.
I honestly think they will do this justice but they wont be able to WITH YOU GUYS TALKING CRAP!

Keegan
03-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Guys, Mattlab said the footage was pre-alpha.

disasterbenz
03-07-2015, 06:02 PM
btw guys teaser trailer (NOT THE REAL FULL TRAILER) remember the word (teaser)

RandomMrBrick
03-07-2015, 06:06 PM
It is a real trailer released by Atari. Go look. It's all over this website and on the RCTW Steam page.

imiha
03-07-2015, 06:06 PM
It is a real trailer. Mattlab comented on it.

TheCoasterGOd3
03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
It is a real trailer released by Atari. Go look. It's all over this website and on the RCTW Steam page.

That, and it's also an earlier build. How early? It was actually made during August of last year, many moons before today. (The trailer was put on YouTube two days ago.)

RandomMrBrick
03-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Guys, Mattlab said the footage was pre-alpha.

No, he said it was early footage. There is a difference

imiha
03-07-2015, 06:13 PM
What does us talking about the game has to do with them making a good game?
Second, they showed us a trailer with videos they recorded in the early development, that doesn't make any sense. Plus they are not working with pipeworks, which means significant less workforce who are not experienced. Those screenchots are from Pipeworks era, so even if trailer really is pre-alpha footage from long before and they really are working hard, I think they can't do what Pipeworks would do (look at screenshots).

rave2014e
03-07-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't understand this looks to cheap looking to be the game and why would they make the puke at the end. Like for it to be a reference of the game is trash. This has to be a joke.

DMB1985
03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
It isn't a joke. It's just an incredible marketing failure.

Joe Android
03-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I agree 100%. Those screens are pretty dang nice to look it. These were released when Pipeworks were still the developers, so I have a feeling that when Atari dumped them, they dumped most of the coding Pipeworks had, as well. Hence why the teaser looks drastically different/worse. It would also explain the lack of screens and strange behavior by Atari since they brought in Area52.
I thought this, but there may be a drastic change in the graphic engine when they changing of developer? Area 52 is supposed to improve the game, as Atari has said repeatedly that the game will be AAA.

darkhorizon
03-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I honestly think they will do this justice but they wont be able to WITH YOU GUYS TALKING CRAP!

We are trying to have an intelligent conversation here, thank you very much. The only person whining is you.

I thought this, but there may be a drastic change in the graphic engine when they changing of developer? Area 52 is supposed to improve the game, as Atari has said repeatedly that the game will be AAA.

Who knows - typically game developers use their own proprietary game engine, it's likely Pipeworks took that with them too. Area 52 has a very questionable amount of games under their belt, I don't know why Atari is boasting about them being AAA. That teaser is FAR from AAA quality, that's for sure.

TheCoasterGOd3
03-07-2015, 06:49 PM

DisasterBenz, while we're trying to have an intelligent conversation here, you do have a point. They could do this justice, but not if we keep complaining.

darkhorizon
03-07-2015, 06:54 PM
I'd argue that us "complaining" will help Atari/Area 52 make a better game. How else are they supposed to know what to improve on?

Mattlab even said that our passion is what is going to make this game great.

koekeritis
03-07-2015, 07:01 PM
AAA games can take up to > 5 years to make. At the point RCTW was announced pipeworks had to have been working on the game for quite some time already. Since the release date did not get pushed back upon the change of developers. It would make ZERO sense for area 52 to work with barely any of things that were already done by pipeworks.

Bluxwave
03-07-2015, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't be too worried ppl. Developers often use placeholder graphics until they patch in the completed hi res stuff later in the dev builds.

Deuce
03-07-2015, 07:10 PM
btw guys teaser trailer (NOT THE REAL FULL TRAILER) remember the word (teaser)

Yes. Remember the word 'teaser'..

What exactly has this 'teased' at?? Teasing is supposed to be a glimpse of what is to come. A tiny taste to get your mouth watering. If this is a glimpse of what is to come then all my mouth is doing is... Well, you saw the guy at the end of the trailer.

Wabigbear
03-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Seems like a bunch of individual threads have been combined into this one. Makes for some weird responses since now posts are split further apart, but okay I guess as long as it remains open.

Gravity
03-07-2015, 09:24 PM
I mean, it's Atari.

I'm surprised they haven't just posted a thread asking us what we want in the next RCT game and then shut down the forums completely.

...because that's a thing they do.

bctrainers
03-07-2015, 10:03 PM
I mean, it's Atari.

I'm surprised they haven't just posted a thread asking us what we want in the next RCT game and then shut down the forums completely.

...because that's a thing they do.
Sounds much like AtariCommu....oh...right. :(

bctrainers
03-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Seems like a bunch of individual threads have been combined into this one. Makes for some weird responses since now posts are split further apart, but okay I guess as long as it remains open.
Yeah, my bad on this one. Meant to put those three other threads in their own new thread, not combined to this one. There's no easy way for me to unmerge it either. :(

k1ng r4t
03-08-2015, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't be too worried ppl. Developers often use placeholder graphics until they patch in the completed hi res stuff later in the dev builds.

This, this, and this again

Nagta
03-08-2015, 02:04 AM

You make a fair point.

However, it isn't really a good idea to use it for a gameplay teaser to hype the audience. With not even stating in the trailer that the footage was before rendering the textures. Try finding gameplay teasers with incompleted textures and polygons, without the devs specifying in the video the footage is early build. Not trailrs, gameplay teasers. Also noting the game was planned release early 2015, about the time the trailer was released (Which often, should be showcased with the final copy). Welp, they've pushed it back anyways.

I'm not saying you're wrong with them using placeholder graphics. If I look at the textures, it seems like polishing wouldn't have been too much of a tough job for Atari and Area 52. I'm just stating that using that for gameplay teasers isn't really the great marketting for Atari.

DMB1985
03-08-2015, 08:41 AM

Whenever I've seen this happen there has usually been made absolutely clear by the devs that what we see is not the final product and it's usually done for development blogs where they are talking us through their progress. I don't think I have ever seen a trailer released with graphics miles behind the quality of the final product.

GoobyPls
03-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Also if the trailer really is from an early build, why not prove it with current material? What Mattlab says doesn't mean anything. His words aren't evidence enough for me, It was the only thing he could have possibly said at this point. Imagine the pumpkins if he admitted that the trailer is from a current game-stage. That's just another lie.

smsjb
03-08-2015, 09:50 AM
has anyone else noticed that the building behing the peep seems to be of signicantly higher quality graphics than any of the other buildings?

koekeritis
03-08-2015, 10:18 AM
has anyone else noticed that the building behing the peep seems to be of signicantly higher quality graphics than any of the other buildings?
You mean the western building? Yeah in other scenes of the teaser you can also see western buildings that look quite a bit better than the other stuff.

towerslover
03-08-2015, 04:17 PM
after being hyped for MONTHS .....Im out, what an utter crock !!!!!

Lapuente
03-09-2015, 05:05 AM
I am very disappointed with what i saw, I really hope the game wont be like that

Simonk
03-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Anyone remember the video game crash of 1983? Let's just hope for the best

Deuce
03-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Anyone remember the video game crash of 1983? Let's just hope for the best

That was because people stopped buying/using home computers! Have you watched 'Micro Men'?

coaster6
03-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Well, I think the answering spree is finally done. MattLab is offline, which I assume means no DevBlog today..

zombie2u
03-10-2015, 09:13 PM
You done goofed.

This game was looking so nice and exactly what users wanted and then you completely changed it. This was a huge project that a small company like yours obviously couldn't overtake. This is your first game, and you f*cked it up. If this next screenshot of the game doesn't look like this297 or better, then you have successfully killed a series. You might want it to be kiddish but maybe you should have listened to the community of grown adults. You know, like the people who grew up with this and pretty much your only demographic?

MattZ
03-11-2015, 01:36 AM
Wow. The gameplay look straight out of 2002. Just wow.

MattZ
03-11-2015, 01:39 AM
Now you know why they have released such little information about the game, including screenshots and videos. What an embarrassment to the franchise.

Rykoo
03-11-2015, 06:04 AM
I still think that they have a reason for showing this teaser. There has to be..

MattZ
03-11-2015, 09:04 AM

Because that really isn't an "early build". They probably bit their tongue when releasing that monstrosity. And then after the outpour of criticism they excuse it as "early build footage".

If it was really early build footage I think they would have mentioned it in the trailer or before the fact

Don't forget the mention from Mattlab that the trailer was designed to show "progress"....really? Wow...

This is not how you run a game studio....something is fishy. Developers switching mid game, lack of screenshots or video from a game that's supposedly being released in a few months, lack of information, putting out a gameplay trailer and then backpedaling after the outrage and making excuses saying it's an early build and was designed to show progress