PDA

View Full Version : Will RCTW Flop??

jackk
02-27-2015, 03:06 AM
Just curious to what you think the sales will be? I'm thinking it will honestly flop. There is no promo and the "Creators" of this website hate us lol they couldn't give a crap. If there is no update within the next 2 days, I will not be purchasing the game at all. I will donate the cost of what I would have paid for the game over to Theme Park Studio who seem to generally care about the gamers who play the game.

Your thoughts? :)

Wabigbear
02-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Actually, no, I don't think it will be a flop.

There's a high number of people who will be willing to purchase this game sight unseen, based on nothing but the name. Especially since it''s been so many years since the last expansion for RCT3 came out, there's a pent-up demand. So initial sales will probably be pretty good. That may not last very long, but the numbers at release will likely be strong, even with the horrible PR job Atari seems to be doing.

Where problems may come up is if the game turns out to be just plain bad. That will limit the number of sales after the initial release as word-of-mouth travels. It will likely also have an affect on future expansions, as well as any future new titles in the franchise.

If upcoming similar titles from other developers manage to put out a better product - which is entirely possible - then that may well spell the end of RCT, in my opinion.

LooseKid187
02-27-2015, 10:39 AM
As long as it gets positive votes and reviews on steam, it will be a small goldmine and hopefully the start of a new RCT era!

mb1.0.2
02-27-2015, 12:00 PM
I foresee something akin to SimCity2013: Strong pre-order sales, big launch, then the reviews come out. Oops, this game is terrible...sales tank, support pulled, franchise destroyed. But who cares because you sold a crap-ton of copies before everyone figured out how bad the product was. Technically speaking, the game was a financial success, not a flop. Move on to next title, wash, rinse, repeat.

Wagi's right. There's a pent up demand. Whoever publishes their theme park sim first will reap the rewards of that (perhaps that's why they were so adamant about an Early '15 launch). But the initial orders/pre-orders can only take you so far. If the game isn't rock solid, in today's information age, it only takes a few weeks before everyone's figured it out. Then, your game is all but dead in the water. If Atari/Area 52 are screwing up this game as hard as they are the communication/marketing, then I have little hope. There's so little of the game shown that I all but assume it'll be mediocre at best upon launch when and if that ever comes.

allen
02-27-2015, 12:43 PM
As a game tester myself, I do see RCTW being a big success. If the game is not bug filled and the developer has a strong presence after release. Developers (most anyways)do a lot of research to see if the game will do well in the market. I have games I'm testing a couple of games right now that probroly won't even make a profit. Also gamers are seeing more of the same type of games like FPS and mmo's. Something newer like a theme park simulator game should do well. Take Theme Park Studio, is doing very well considering its an early release. The devs I test for are still at aw on how well a game like Goat Simulator is doing.

a-can-o-beans
02-27-2015, 12:49 PM
for the record the theme park studio devs DO communicate with there customers but they will bash you and call you a troll and block you if you say ANYTHING negative about there game. the devs at TPS only care if you are on there side. if you are not they have no problem bashing you on there own forums. im hoping this long silence from Aari/Area 52 just means there making a kick ass game for us instead of posting. we can only wait and see...

Indiglow
02-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if this game even came out at this point.

I think this game is going to flop big time. The silence at Atari speaks volumes. They didn't even attend the conference they said they would attend.

VACkillers
02-27-2015, 02:16 PM
IF they stick to the original design of past RCT games, no it wont flop, but if they try to change it too much, making it online only or bustered with MTs and change the whole concept of the game to something "new" then yeah it will flop becuase it wont be the same game that people loved in the past.

allen
02-27-2015, 02:40 PM
for the record the theme park studio devs DO communicate with there customers but they will bash you and call you a troll and block you if you say ANYTHING negative about there game. the devs at TPS only care if you are on there side. if you are not they have no problem bashing you on there own forums. im hoping this long silence from Aari/Area 52 just means there making a kick ass game for us instead of posting. we can only wait and see...

Many devs do the very same thing and I'm not for or against TPS. My opinion is based oh the thread topic at hand. It was to show that RCTW could be a very successful game.

GoobyPls
02-27-2015, 05:38 PM
IF they stick to the original design of past RCT games, no it wont flop, but if they try to change it too much, making it online only or bustered with MTs and change the whole concept of the game to something "new" then yeah it will flop becuase it wont be the same game that people loved in the past.

They confirmed the game will indeed not be online-only, which is a good thing, but i see your point.
I too am worried that the singleplayer aspect of the game could be undersized.

RCM88x
02-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Pretty sure every game has flopped in the past year that's not GTA 5 or The Last of Us. From what I've seen and heard so far, I would feel much more comfortable putting my money on this games failure than this games success.

unclekrusty
02-27-2015, 09:17 PM
I am hopeful that the game will be great, but admittedly I have my doubts. However, given the information we do have, I am willing to pay for it.

keeper262
02-28-2015, 12:49 PM
I do not think it will flop. Every feature they seemed to have mentioned I at least want or find interesting. A good game does not need a lot of promo, the last thing we need is another over-hyped launch. Let the game be released and speak for itself. Honestly I would be more worried about quality if they were over promoting the game...like...buy it now because you won't want it later. lol

So, relax and try not to expect for them to fill you in every time they make a change.

Epic Wink
02-28-2015, 06:32 PM
It may be bug-riddled.

Scratch that. It will be bug-riddled. There's nothing they can do about that while still being profitable.

It may be game-breaking bug-riddled. Here's hoping it's not. If a good game is released with a number of smaller bugs, that's fine. Critics may comment on the bugs, but people know they can be fixed. A bad game with no bugs can't be fixed, however. I don't think RCTW will be a bad game.

And very few games have flopped recently. I consider flopping as not getting a profit. GTAV and The Last of Us were just huge successes.

Underdisc
03-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Just curious to what you think the sales will be? I'm thinking it will honestly flop. There is no promo and the "Creators" of this website hate us lol they couldn't give a crap. If there is no update within the next 2 days, I will not be purchasing the game at all. I will donate the cost of what I would have paid for the game over to Theme Park Studio who seem to generally care about the gamers who play the game.

Your thoughts? :)

You can expect some major updates over this next week. The guys over at Area 52 games are probably working their asses off right now to get what they have ready for GDC. Essentially, the devs are in crunch mode right now, and instead of giving us updates, they are getting ready. It starts in a couple days as well. I don't know about you, but if I was under that pressure, I would be working day and night to polish the game and get it ready to be shown to other devs.

So don't worry. These guys understand that they are dealing with an extremely important title. A title that many consider one of their first PC games. Don't expect something until you see what they have actually built.

Menno
03-01-2015, 04:52 AM
It may be bug-riddled.

Scratch that. It will be bug-riddled. There's nothing they can do about that while still being profitable.

Any piece of software that is released is filled with bugs (I think I once heard that (all) the software used by banks is estimated to have over 500.000 bugs in their code). It's nearly impossible to get all bugs out, let alone within a reasonable time frame and within a reasonable budget. As long as they are not game breaking and in the fringes of the product nobody will mind and most won't even notice.

k1ng r4t
03-01-2015, 03:05 PM
MB you are just one of the most negative forum posters I've ever had to read over. Just fyi

I don't think it will flop. But I don't think it'll be a huge success either. It'll be just like RCT3. It'll be like most other tycoon sims, where all the fanboys buy it on release, then if it has good reviews a good chunk of casual players will buy it, then over the next few years more and more people will discover it. As active and exciting and popular as it seems on forums, these types of games just aren't for the mainstream public. So I don't think there's enough of a demand to make it a gold mine, but it will be a success.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they made more money with RCTM then they will in a year of RCTW.

k1ng r4t
03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
On the note of bugs, RCT3 is 11 years old and FILLED with bugs. Doesn't seem to bother anyone now, sooo....

king_austin95
03-01-2015, 04:25 PM
MB you are just one of the most negative forum posters I've ever had to read over. Just fyi

I don't think it will flop. But I don't think it'll be a huge success either. It'll be just like RCT3. It'll be like most other tycoon sims, where all the fanboys buy it on release, then if it has good reviews a good chunk of casual players will buy it, then over the next few years more and more people will discover it. As active and exciting and popular as it seems on forums, these types of games just aren't for the mainstream public. So I don't think there's enough of a demand to make it a gold mine, but it will be a success.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they made more money with RCTM then they will in a year of RCTW.

i'm one of those fanboys ;) guilty. lawl

NathanSuite
03-01-2015, 04:28 PM
I know I'm probably buying RTCW right off the bat. I have faith that this won't be a repeat of what happened with SimCity two years ago. From what little insight I've seen about the game it's enough to make me feel it will be a very promising game. As long as park sizes aren't an issue and as long as all the features from previous installments make a return with improvements, I don't see this game being a flop in the foreseeable future. The only piece of information that would make me think otherwise is their launch price. I felt really hopeful for the SC franchise, but as soon as I found out that the launch price was $59.99 for that p.o.s., the idea that it was going to be a flop was a done deal.

Colbehs
03-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Lack of time for pr means more time to work on the game. So I think it'll do pretty well. They read everybody's negative and positive comments and are probably incorporatring everything we want into the game. People think pr is easy and cheap, it's not. Why waste all that time to promote when they can use it to make a kick ass game.

k1ng r4t
03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
i'm one of those fanboys ;) guilty. lawl

Oh I'm definitely, definitely one of those fanboys. I've been wanting this for so many years now, I literally got butterflies when it was announced. I don't care how crappy it is, I'll find a way to enjoy it.

k1ng r4t
03-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Lack of time for pr means more time to work on the game. So I think it'll do pretty well. They read everybody's negative and positive comments and are probably incorporatring everything we want into the game. People think pr is easy and cheap, it's not. Why waste all that time to promote when they can use it to make a kick ass game.

This +1

There's so much going on behind the scenes in game development.

RCM88x
03-02-2015, 03:41 AM

To bad they could care less about making a good game, all they need to do is make it drawing enough to sell copies and some over priced DLC then run. If you actually think studio like this try and make good games they you are about to get a big spoon of reality.

ExtraCheese
03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
You really think a developer is doing PR for a game? People are being trained to do PR you know. All they need to do is hire a PR employee, easy as that.

Time has nothing to do with it.

SparkyUK
03-02-2015, 11:19 AM
The game will not be a flop. It'll sell well, like the others did.

But its longevity will be tested, because Frontier have realised the sheer size of fan-base attached to this franchise and they're wanting a piece of that pie, too.

So the winner will be the brand which listens to their fans more. It could be win-win for us, as fans.

Wabigbear
03-02-2015, 12:45 PM
The game will not be a flop. It'll sell well, like the others did.

But its longevity will be tested, because Frontier have realised the sheer size of fan-base attached to this franchise and they're wanting a piece of that pie, too.

So the winner will be the brand which listens to their fans more. It could be win-win for us, as fans.

Absolutely. Look at how many post here claiming they are buying it based on nothing but the name - the RCT brand name alone will guarantee initial sales.

As SparkyUK pointed out, it's longevity that's going to matter. If it's a weak crappy game it's going to fade quickly and others, like Frontier, are going to watch closely for those weaknesses. And that's likely to improve their games.

Even if Atari's games turns out to offer less than what we want, it will make it more likely that one of the others will.

ExtraCheese
03-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Partially true. RCT4 (the mobile garbage) put a huge hole in the RCT name...!

k1ng r4t
03-02-2015, 02:12 PM
To bad they could care less about making a good game, all they need to do is make it drawing enough to sell copies and some over priced DLC then run. If you actually think studio like this try and make good games they you are about to get a big spoon of reality.

Please cite your sources that they "could care less about making a good game." From what I can tell they're doing a great job working on what looks like it could be a great game. At least we all know how you'd run your development studio...

You really think a developer is doing PR for a game? People are being trained to do PR you know. All they need to do is hire a PR employee, easy as that.

Time has nothing to do with it.

How many times do I have to explain this dude? This isn't a AAA company and you can't just hire a PR employee. This isn't Bungie or Rockstar with unlimited pockets of cash. Some of the biggest indie games started as groups of 5 people who worked on a budget of $10,000. The quality game did its own marketing. Those big name games can cost up to dozens of millions to make(maybe even hundreds). Do you think the indie guys hired PR while working off scraps? No, they didn't.

Honestly posting on forums isn't really even a PR rep's duty, as they're simply a mediator between the public shareholders and the company. A PR person will probably be sitting at the GDC booth, but PR is not part of the marketing division.

In video games, movies, and music, marketing is at least 50%, if not 85+%, of the total budget. Especially movies. It's not cheap man. I'd rather all expensive funds go towards game development, not unnecessary PR to keep a handful of fans who do nothing but complain anyways happy.

Wabigbear
03-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Is it really necessary to be so damn snarky and make personal attacks k1ng r4t?

king_austin95
03-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Oh I'm definitely, definitely one of those fanboys. I've been wanting this for so many years now, I literally got butterflies when it was announced. I don't care how crappy it is, I'll find a way to enjoy it.

hooray for being fanboys! ^_^

k1ng r4t
03-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Is it really necessary to be so damn snarky and make personal attacks k1ng r4t?

Maybe, I tried explaining it nicely before, thought I'd try a different approach this time. Personally I don't think it's necessary to be so snarky because you don't get what you want right away. I'll tone it back a little though.

ExtraCheese
03-03-2015, 04:22 AM
Maybe, I tried explaining it nicely before, thought I'd try a different approach this time. Personally I don't think it's necessary to be so snarky because you don't get what you want right away. I'll tone it back a little though.

I just don't agree with you, is that so hard to accept? Don't be so ignorant. A PR employee doesn't have to be 1 FTE you know?!
Besides, I don't think Atari / Area 52 are as small as an indy developer, they do have a large budget if you ask me.
The Rollercoaster Tycoon brand is worth millions (it was for sale for I think $3.000.000), you think they don't want to hire a PR employee for that? Besides, they even introduced a community manager for us. Managing community is also the job of the PR employee.
Now please just accept that people don't always agree with you.

PS: This is a discussion forum, so people discuss. If you have facts I will happily accept them, but saying crap without proof makes it possible to discuss it.

Epic Wink
03-03-2015, 07:33 AM

Ummm, the spoon of reality is that many artists really want to have as many people enjoy their work as much as possible. Some are in it just for the money, but they're a minority. The problem they have higher-ups putting pressure, and can only do so much.

Of course excluding people who make crappy pop music and push it to itunes because that style of music is in right now, plus internet

Wabigbear
03-03-2015, 07:37 AM
I'll tone it back a little though.

Thank you, and I do appreciate the polite response very much.

ExtraCheese
03-03-2015, 07:59 AM
I'll tone it back a little though.

Thank you, and I do appreciate the polite response very much.

I'm sorry I didn't read that last part of the reply. Sorry and let's all just be friendly to each other and respect each other opinions. I hope we can discuss new RCTW material soon. The waiting for more news isn't making the situation of waiting and speculating any better.

Indiglow
03-06-2015, 12:14 AM
It for sure will now.

LOOKS LIKE I WAS RIGHT. What do I win?

UNLIMITED COTTON CANDY???????????

coaster6
03-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Yeah, where are all the people who were yelling at the real fans for actually wanting an acceptable game. I recall being upset about the supports and getting backlash..

Indiglow
03-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Yeah, where are all the people who were yelling at the real fans for actually wanting an acceptable game. I recall being upset about the supports and getting backlash..

Me too! This KING RAT person went off on everyone and is no where to be found. We had and now have a right to be upset.

AUS_Twisted
03-06-2015, 01:28 AM
RollerCoaster Tycoon World: Scammer Edition

ExtraCheese
03-06-2015, 04:31 AM
RCTW will definitely flop if it really looks like the teaser...

The only way they can fix this is to adjust the title of the teaser into 'very early footage from June 2012' and release a new trailer soon with current date game technology like graphics, pathfinding, properly connecting paths, lighting, 30 fps etc etc.