PDA

View Full Version : Gdc '15

Future RCT
02-24-2015, 07:46 PM
What can we expect to see from this event? I know you probably can't tell us much, but we would really appreciate it if you can give us the general idea of what we will get (details, screenshots, trailers, gameplay, etc.), so we can adjust our expectations accordingly.

coaster6
02-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Taking what we've seen so far, we probably won't get any information. In fact, it appears that the only way we get answers if we post forums that take the extra step to nag the developers to get extra information. Looks no forward to getting some information. Thanks for the post!

chardo440
02-24-2015, 11:04 PM
We will however get the "soon" which means info 2 weeks or later or we'll get... "Very soon" which means so far 4+ days. It's a waiting game. So I wouldn't expect anything and you'll be much happier with the Gdc results. :)

ExtraCheese
02-25-2015, 04:27 AM
As far as I know, and apparently GDC knows, Atari and Area 52 are not attending GDC 2015. Their name is not listed.
I wouldn't get your hopes up high for any new information. Unless... there is a 3rd party involved in making this game?

PS: Frontier Developments is attending, see nr 112 here: http://www.gdconf.com/pdf/floorplans/2015/GDC_2015_SouthHall.pdf

VACkillers
02-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Don't think frontier will be showing anything of their coaster tycoon park though, most likely be all about Elite Dangerous

mb1.0.2
02-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Lulz, Atari is so busy getting ready for the GDC, they forgot to tell the GDC they were coming.

There's something awry here...just like w/ the developer switch midway through development. We shall see soon, though!

Nickster
02-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Still very skeptical, it's very strange that they are telling us that they are getting ready for GDC yet they arnt on the list.

GoobyPls
02-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Yep, i don't know what this is all about. they probably go there as guests.

Epic Wink
02-25-2015, 07:06 PM
They certainly don't have a listing in the floor plan, but they may give a talk or demonstration

Wabigbear
02-25-2015, 07:52 PM
I believe there is some sort of presentation by the Videogame History Museum on Atari at the GDC, so it's possible that as they cover the games in Atari's past they may also take a glimpse at the future? That's purely speculative on my part, based only on hearing about the exhibit... http://www.gdconf.com/news/videogame_history_museum_retur.html

Otherwise I'm puzzled too when there's no listing of Atari nor Area 52 as exhibitors there...unless they plan on parking someone's car in front of the convention center and showing off the game in the trunk or something.

SparkyUK
02-25-2015, 08:18 PM
We'll get a screenshot of the Coming Soon page that will eventually be on Steam.

ExtraCheese
02-26-2015, 11:14 AM
I believe there is some sort of presentation by the Videogame History Museum on Atari at the GDC, so it's possible that as they cover the games in Atari's past they may also take a glimpse at the future? That's purely speculative on my part, based only on hearing about the exhibit... http://www.gdconf.com/news/videogame_history_museum_retur.html

Let's hope you are right!

Otherwise I'm puzzled too when there's no listing of Atari nor Area 52 as exhibitors there...unless they plan on parking someone's car in front of the convention center and showing off the game in the trunk or something.

Haha this had me rolling on the floor laughing :D

RCTW1
02-26-2015, 11:28 AM
I noticed that too Wabigbear. What's going on, Atari and Area 52?

Nickster
02-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Atari RV presentation confirmed!

ExtraCheese
02-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Don't lie Nickster. They are still not listed as exhibitors.
Besides, I asked GDC on Facebook wether Atari / Area 52 was attending. I got confirmation from GDC they are not attending.

BigDaddy
02-26-2015, 07:11 PM
There is no listing of any speakers from atari either, just a couple postmortems from Yars revenge and adventure. So yeah, so much for a presence at GDC.

Wabigbear
02-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Don't lie Nickster. They are still not listed as exhibitors.
Besides, I asked GDC on Facebook wether Atari / Area 52 was attending. I got confirmation from GDC they are not attending.

I can't wait to hear the excuse, but likely they'll just ignore it and pretend it never happened.

darkhorizon
02-26-2015, 08:53 PM
This game is such an embarrassment at this point.

Christopher
02-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Wait a second.
They told us that they would attend the GDC and bring us more information and now they actually didn't attend? What is going on. Seriously. This is getting ridiculous.

SparkyUK
02-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Wait a second.
They told us that they would attend the GDC and bring us more information and now they actually didn't attend? What is going on. Seriously. This is getting ridiculous.

The event hasn't happened yet - it's next week.
However, as some have pointed out, they're not listed to exhibit at the event. This leaves the possibility they're just presenting at the show, rather than having a stand.

king_austin95
02-27-2015, 08:04 AM
The event hasn't happened yet - it's next week.
However, as some have pointed out, they're not listed to exhibit at the event. This leaves the possibility they're just presenting at the show, rather than having a stand.

does Nintendo go to GDC? the only thing i know they go to is E3. i LOVE seeing everything Nintendo unveils at E3 each year.

king_austin95
02-27-2015, 08:05 AM
this lack of communication and all the negativity is pissing me off. i WANT this game to be good! :-(

Indiglow
03-03-2015, 02:00 AM
1 day down 4 more to go.

ZERO sign of Atari or Area52 at GDC.

Are you surprised?

Indiglow
03-03-2015, 02:02 AM
this lack of communication and all the negativity is pissing me off. i WANT this game to be good! :-(

We were all happy when they started these forums. It was bustling full of excitement and ideas. Then Atari went full silence on us and when they did come out and say something, it was 90% stuff we already knew.

It's a huge disappointment so far because the communication is horrible. The negativity has a right to be here now. You'll find yourself in our boats soon enough.

Epic Wink
03-03-2015, 07:24 AM

It's because people want this game to be good that people are negative. Also, these days, people are cynical because of past experience, not just from the actions (or lack thereof, according to some) of Atari and Area 52

Wabigbear
03-03-2015, 07:51 AM
It's because people want this game to be good that people are negative. Also, these days, people are cynical because of past experience, not just from the actions (or lack thereof, according to some) of Atari and Area 52

I think that's absolutely true.

It's a mistake to think that those with concerns aren't actually hoping and praying that this game will turn out really well. They wouldn't even bother posting here if they didn't care. And their concerns certainly don't make them lesser fans. Some of those posting have been members of the RCT community since back when RCT1 first came out. It's NOT just idle bitching on their part.

And it's also true that Atari doesn't have the best track record with that same community. Combine those things with a number of promises from Atari that haven't really panned out (like the community managers that appeared to great fanfare and then disappeared from the face of the Earth) and the lack of much information after - in my opinion - jumping the gun getting this forum set up and hyping that everyone needed to be here, and there's bound to be negativity.

I've been disappointed in how some members here seem to feel the need to mock anyone who has a complaint or negative comment to make, I don't see the other side mocking the rabid fan-boi's here gushing about a game they haven't seen but a couple screens and the cover-art for.

It's perfectly fine to disagree, but a good share of any negativity on the threads comes from those putting down and mocking anyone raising concerns they don't agree with.

king_austin95
03-03-2015, 12:44 PM
I think that's absolutely true.

It's a mistake to think that those with concerns aren't actually hoping and praying that this game will turn out really well. They wouldn't even bother posting here if they didn't care. And their concerns certainly don't make them lesser fans. Some of those posting have been members of the RCT community since back when RCT1 first came out. It's NOT just idle bitching on their part.

And it's also true that Atari doesn't have the best track record with that same community. Combine those things with a number of promises from Atari that haven't really panned out (like the community managers that appeared to great fanfare and then disappeared from the face of the Earth) and the lack of much information after - in my opinion - jumping the gun getting this forum set up and hyping that everyone needed to be here, and there's bound to be negativity.

I've been disappointed in how some members here seem to feel the need to mock anyone who has a complaint or negative comment to make, I don't see the other side mocking the rabid fan-boi's here gushing about a game they haven't seen but a couple screens and the cover-art for.

It's perfectly fine to disagree, but a good share of any negativity on the threads comes from those putting down and mocking anyone raising concerns they don't agree with.
i never said people couldn't complain or be negative. they can do what they want. i just meant that all this negativity makes me scared the game might not be good. but i think it will. i'm buying it either way, because i'm one of those fanboys. and there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy.

a-can-o-beans
03-03-2015, 01:17 PM
i never said people couldn't complain or be negative. they can do what they want. i just meant that all this negativity makes me scared the game might not be good. but i think it will. i'm buying it either way, because i'm one of those fanboys. and there's nothing wrong with being a fanboy.

yes there is lol you should wait for the devs to SHOW US the game is worth buying. you buying the game regardless contributes to the trend that gaming is in. we are getting crappier games more and more bugs and empty promises. big companies are greedy and dont cater to the needs of there consumer base. only thing we can do to improve the state of this industry is to buy from companies who deserve it and make good games. buying because of the title of the game is the reason the call of duty series never changes there game. don't buy games if they aren't good. you will be doing everyone and yourself a favor by helping change this greedy industry...

k1ng r4t
03-03-2015, 04:00 PM

I love these last two paragraphs. Also that first is so, so not true. I'm surprised you haven't seen the regulars you speak of bash the hell out of this game. Even with the box cover, that MattLab said had a lot of in game stuff, they instantly ripped it a new one and convinced themselves it was a lie. I forget how many people I've called out for being so pessimistic. As the other side, you should re-read some of these threads (especially when I first started here and simply questioned why everyone was so upset and they flipped out on me (keep in mind this was 4 days after BP3). Of course there's nothing wrong with complaining, it's just ridiculous people expect such regular updates from such a small time developer.. Open your mind a little, maybe the CM died and his son has been updating after school and 2 jobs and they don't have the heart to tell us. Maybe a contract fell through and they lost $100,000 and had to let go (I'm glad it's the forums they put on the back burner and not the game). Maybe Jesus Christ came to Area 52 and told them to build suspense. Or maybe they really are just a small group of people who are trying their absolute best and don't have time to respond. We know they're reading them, just not commenting on everything. The fact is we don't know, so yeah, I think it's wrong and disrespectful to be so spiteful and demanding.

Let me quote some stuff from the last blog only 4 days ago (I quoted in another thread)

"The second piece of news is with the launch of our trailer we will also be launching our official Steam and Atari.com product pages; once those go live we will share a note about the release date of the game. We know a lot of you have been asking about our release schedule, and we will be addressing that shortly."

"Tune in next week for a special GDC edition of our Production blog where we will have screenshots, news, and more"

" Even though we can’t always confirm things when we see them, many of your ideas and feature requests are making it into the game and likely will be featured in a Production blog when the time is right."

Then even after this post, 2 days into a 1 week conference and people are already demanding blood. I also have several friends who are software developers and, I'm not saying nobody understands this, but you just really can't fully appreciate the red tape, time limits and pressure put till you experience it. I didn't until I heard some of these stories and saw the hair fall out. It's like college. You hear about how much the workload sucks, but once you get to that masters program, you REALLY realize how much it sucks. Honestly I think all this negative nonsense is funny, but in a sad way.

Future RCT
03-03-2015, 04:49 PM
yes there is lol you should wait for the devs to SHOW US the game is worth buying. you buying the game regardless contributes to the trend that gaming is in. we are getting crappier games more and more bugs and empty promises. big companies are greedy and dont cater to the needs of there consumer base. only thing we can do to improve the state of this industry is to buy from companies who deserve it and make good games. buying because of the title of the game is the reason the call of duty series never changes there game. don't buy games if they aren't good. you will be doing everyone and yourself a favor by helping change this greedy industry...

Please don't tell people what to do. It's very immature of you.

Wabigbear
03-03-2015, 05:21 PM
I forget how many people I've called out for being so pessimistic.

Yes, I know. Which was part of the point I was making.

I don't necessarily disagree with MANY of the points you make. But you determining that it's nothing but "wrong and disrespectful" and "spiteful and demanding" is still only your opinion. You seem to be going out of your way pointing that out to others. That's just not helping any. You could still make your positive points about what you think is right with the game's progress without the need to jump on others who share a different view. It's not just you. You just happen to be the one I'm responding to.

Can others perhaps try to keep a more open mind? Absolutely. But someone telling them they have to and dismissing their concerns (some of which have merit)isn't going to get them to. It's especially wrong, I think, to dismiss them as not really caring for the game, and that they don't also want a successful game. That comes across as sounding like "you can't really be a fan unless you think as I do", even if that's not what you actually mean.

I've know many of these people for years. And you are completely wrong if you actually think they don't care. Absolutely 100% wrong.

Most of the negative comments I've seen aren't aimed at Area 52. They've been aimed at Atari. There's a big difference I think. I'm not disagreeing with your observations about small time developers, but they are mostly talking about Atari.

k1ng r4t
03-03-2015, 05:26 PM
That's the thing though man, I have never not once dismissed anyones concerns. Not getting information or meeting promises is absolutely something to be upset over. But is a few weeks with a few check ins really that bad? Besides it only happened once, before that it was once a week and everyone was happy go lucky. Things then change, suddenly the world is on fire.

I just don't get it. You're right I call people out on it, but only after I've seen them say it a minimum of 3 times. Then it seems like someone needs to tell them. If they keep going after that, as you may or may not have noticed, I just ignore them. I can think of one exception...

Wabigbear
03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
I get what you're saying. I think we both might agree that perhaps all this could be handled a little differently, perhaps with some better communication since they seem to have multiple people representing them.

Yeah, I know that too often people hear what they want to hear, but that's a part of doing business, and that's exactly what Atari is - a business, wanting to sell us their product. And in my opinion, having worked in retail management for over 30 years, if your customers aren't understanding your message it's up to you to help them to, walking away and ignoring the problem doesn't solve anything. Better communication would go a long ways, even if that means repeating the same information again and again. That's what they get paid for, it's a part of the product they are selling.

It's very possible, even probable, that Area 52 is just doing what they are told to do by who hired them - in this case Atari - and so they are only going to say what they are allowed to say. The blow-back on them is unfortunate.

Again, I do appreciate your willingness to discuss this as we are. I think highly of that. We don't have to agree on everything.

k1ng r4t
03-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Awesome, I can appreciate it too. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I also worked in retail management, but only for about 2 1/2 years. I agree with your ultimate message, advertising an upcoming product is critical, but IMO slightly different from this, where 98% of everything is speculation; but you are right, and I do think they could be better at communicating with fans who clearly want it. I guess I take beggars can't be choosers to the extreme. I've been begging for a new RCT for years, I just want it to get the best treatment it can get in case we have to wait another decade...

Indiglow
03-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Day 2. Nothing about RCTW was released.

3 days to go.

If day 5 comes and goes with zero info, will you still be positive even though they promised news this week from GDC?

Look, I'm totally ok with "We'll give you more info next week!". What I'm not ok with is being lied to and being told "We'll give you new info next week with more screenshots!" and then 3 weeks go by and they come back and give you a brief description of things you already know and release a 4 week old screenshot and nothing else. That's what has been happening since these forums were made and yet they keep saying their communication is the most important thing to them.

How would you feel if the people in charge of the game you have been waiting for for 10 years did this to you? It shows a lack of respect or care about the fans.

LooseKid187
03-04-2015, 12:24 AM
They can do what ever they want. Just because its not right in your eyes and others, does not mean its wrong.

Indiglow
03-04-2015, 12:34 AM
They can do what ever they want. Just because its not right in your eyes and others, does not mean its wrong.

True. And they can lose fans over it too.

I can be a multi-billion dollar company (I actually work for one) and tell my customers where to stick it anytime they piss me off, but that's not good for business now is it?

VACkillers
03-04-2015, 12:56 AM
Think everyone just needs to relax. Will we get info just be patient it will happen!

k1ng r4t
03-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Day 2. Nothing about RCTW was released.

3 days to go.

If day 5 comes and goes with zero info, will you still be positive even though they promised news this week from GDC?

Look, I'm totally ok with "We'll give you more info next week!". What I'm not ok with is being lied to and being told "We'll give you new info next week with more screenshots!" and then 3 weeks go by and they come back and give you a brief description of things you already know and release a 4 week old screenshot and nothing else. That's what has been happening since these forums were made and yet they keep saying their communication is the most important thing to them.

How would you feel if the people in charge of the game you have been waiting for for 10 years did this to you? It shows a lack of respect or care about the fans.

Agree to disagree. I don't ever recall them saying they'll give more info in a week and then didn't. I also won't care if we don't get an update immediately on day 5 of GDC. I'll give them at least a week to gather their thoughts, though in blog 4 they did say we'll have an update "next week." But I worked in technology, next week doesn't always mean exactly next week, and that's fine, nothing new there. I'd think especially a multi-billion dollar company employee would understand that.

And I know exactly how that fan would feel because I am one. I've been playing these games since I was 6 years old. I'm ****ing pumped to have a new RCTW is how I feel, I don't care how long it takes. I've waited this long, what's another year if it means the perfect game? I've been following the blogs since day one too, your word smithery won't work here. But don't worry, now that I discovered this list, this is the last you'll hear from me. That way everyone wins! Yay!

And I'm sorry, you are just so ridiculous my friend. Talk about hyperbole. If taking a few weeks to give info on a game in development, after doing it weekly, with no specified time frame is considered "sticking it to the fans..." well, it's not, so yeah. Become a fan of Creative Assembly if you want to see a company that ignores fans.

k1ng r4t
03-04-2015, 01:07 AM
Think everyone just needs to relax. Will we get info just be patient it will happen!

Truth right here

Indiglow
03-04-2015, 01:14 AM
Agree to disagree. I don't ever recall them saying they'll give more info in a week and then didn't.

You joined in February. Of course you don't remember. I've been here going on 3 months now as many others have watching as they fall on their face over and over with the communication and promises.

I also started one of the original posts on here about ideas and such that is still going and has some of the most replies/posts/views so to say I haven't been as optimistic and excited as you are now would be a lie.

You just get to a point where you know where this is going. I've seen Atari do this before (as others have noted) and it's not a pleasant ride.

k1ng r4t
03-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Ugh I clicked view.

Just because I joined in February doesn't mean I haven't been following from the start. Assumptions like this are what's ruining the world. Trust me, I saw your thread, and all your posts since. And I've been posting on the RCT3 Steam Forum for years. I've also been following game releases my whole life. I know the point you're talking about, and it's unbelievable you think we're already there. Atari now is not the Atari from before. They are under new management, so we have no idea what to expect. So far, I'm quite pleased and pleasantly surprised. It's obvious you aren't. We are at an impass. So just ignore this post and say you won. I'll do the same and the world will keep spinning :)

a-can-o-beans
03-04-2015, 02:32 AM
Please don't tell people what to do. It's very immature of you.

was only making a suggestion. telling people what to do is not a sign of maturity. im probably one of the more mature and "seasoned" players here. have you seen some of the kids here?

ExtraCheese
03-04-2015, 04:03 AM
Indiglow is right, when a blog post promises more info 'next week', that should actually mean next week to us as fans / consumers.
I don't care if in some area's next week doesn't really mean next week, you can't do that to us as a fan base.

And please guys, let's keep it friendly. Just accept it that people have different opinions here ok?!

LooseKid187
03-04-2015, 04:17 AM
Im sorry.

But honestly how old are all you guys, to be complaining this much, its just silly.. Its a video game. Thats it. Im looking forward to it, but im not about to start boycotting atari for "lack of info" they know what they are doing. They loose a few fans hear and there. Big deal. Once that game is released and it pops up on the main page of steam or at your local video game retailer, u will buy it. Likea select few say "nup not buying it, lack of info, its disrespectful" the only people being disrespectful are you lot. Flaming the people that are giving you the info? Good job, never bite the hand that feeds you. I understand people dont want to wast money on buying a product you dont like. But at this stage, there isnt even a release date. Unless the actually date was coming up in a few weeks, it would be understandable to be upset about the lack of communication, but its not. We have no idea. So suck it up princesses!! And be patient

written on my mobile phone so screw spelling!!

ExtraCheese
03-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Im sorry.

But honestly how old are all you guys, to be complaining this much, its just silly.. Its a video game. Thats it. Im looking forward to it, but im not about to start boycotting atari for "lack of info" they know what they are doing. They loose a few fans hear and there. Big deal. Once that game is released and it pops up on the main page of steam or at your local video game retailer, u will buy it. Likea select few say "nup not buying it, lack of info, its disrespectful" the only people being disrespectful are you lot. Flaming the people that are giving you the info? Good job, never bite the hand that feeds you. I understand people dont want to wast money on buying a product you dont like. But at this stage, there isnt even a release date. Unless the actually date was coming up in a few weeks, it would be understandable to be upset about the lack of communication, but its not. We have no idea. So suck it up princesses!! And be patient

written on my mobile phone so screw spelling!!

Release date is still early 2015. It's March 4th now, so yeah I am allowed to have my doubts about the information given to us. I'm very happy with updates, but they should not make promises they can not keep.

LooseKid187
03-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Release date is still early 2015. It's March 4th now, so yeah I am allowed to have my doubts about the information given to us. I'm very happy with updates, but they should not make promises they can not keep.

I may have miss this but what promise? Promise for weekly info? Or the early 2015 part? Because saying early 2015 leaves room for deplays. There was no specific date released....

king_austin95
03-04-2015, 11:14 AM
was only making a suggestion. telling people what to do is not a sign of maturity. im probably one of the more mature and "seasoned" players here. have you seen some of the kids here?

i wouldn't know if i've seen some of the kids here are not. you cannot see peoples age. you are just assuming they are kids.

king_austin95
03-04-2015, 11:17 AM

nope. if its roller coaster tycoon its good enough for me. same with mario games. i'm a mario fanboy too. i will buy this no matter what, and i will buy any mario game no matter what.(excluding mario vs. DK series)

darkhorizon
03-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I agree that many people are being rather hostile, and can definitely voice their concern in a more appropriate way.

On the other hand, the "negativity" from many of us stems from the way Atari treated the RCT Community a few years ago. Long story short, they screwed us over BIG TIME, made promises and broke them without hesitation. That's where many of the "but they promised" arguments are coming from, I suspect.

If you weren't around when this happened, then you just wouldn't understand. And there's nothing wrong with that. But you need to understand that some of us do have concerns about this game, and Atari, for a reason. Don't dismiss our concerns because some people don't know how to properly voice their frustrations.

Furthermore, I think that most of our "negativity" and frustration is coming from a good place. I want RCTW to succeed. I want Atari to succeed. I cannot confirm nor deny that when they first announced RCTW I screamed with joy like a little fanboi. But yes, a lot of us ARE being overly defensive and protective (and rightfully so IMO) because Atari has not been very good to their loyal RCT community. I know, know...companies change. But the mistrust is so deep rooted at this point, it's going to take a lot to gain it back for many of us.

dwwilkin
03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
It may be safe to say that Atari and Area 52 do not have a booth at GDC, but does anyone know if they have a Con Suite at a hotel and are privately showing their games to journalists? That would be a big save of money for them.

I have been hoping for a lot more for this Franchise since we got WILD!, such as Penguins! and other animal additions but the falling out between Frontier and Atari then, ended that. And now with the buisness model in the industry of DLC, perhaps we can get such things. So in September when they announced, I became very excited.

I am disappointed that the Community Managers have not Managed at all on the forums. We can't deny that they have very poor communication skills. If I was their professor in college, they would get a terrible grade.

However as a Businessman, I understand that there are issues one has to deal with while releasing a game. For instance (and this is just a hypothetical) say you have a killer feature the community has proposed that now you want to adopt, and beat the pants off of TPS and Frontier's upcoming offering. It puts the project another two weeks out, and something else added two weeks, and the Beta will add a month, and, and, and, so eventually what you want to tell everyone become smaller because you don't want to say something and then find that Frontier or TPS have adopted it and made it a key feature, and might even beat you to release.

Now, in comparison to what we have seen, and to that scenario, we should have seen more. We were seeing more with Pipeworks. We did have a better CM with Pipeworks. Is it possible that there are legal problems and coding problems between Pipeworks, Atari and Area 52 that have caused the current mess and lack of information?

In any case, GDC is half way through, so let us cross our fingers that Mattlab will have something for us Friday, that journalists will see the game in a suite, and that next week we will have something great to talk about.

Janitor
03-04-2015, 12:31 PM
It may be safe to say that Atari and Area 52 do not have a booth at GDC, but does anyone know if they have a Con....

It is going to be an AAA title. Most publishers of AAA game titles have a big amount of marketing budget.
I'm counting down the hours for the trailer... It should be coming online anytime now.

Underdog104
03-04-2015, 12:34 PM
It is going to be an AAA title. Most publishers of AAA game titles have a big amount of marketing budget.
I'm counting down the hours for the trailer... It should be coming online anytime now.

I would start counting down the weeks instead...would save you time, and is much more realistic

Nickster
03-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Week 1: Everything is okay so far.
Week 2: just ran out Fanta and water, becoming thirsty.
Week 3: Atari has yet to drop the care package of supplies, becoming desperate.
Week 4: A full beard has grown on my face, still no signs of info.
Week 5: Atari released thier GDC trailer, but it's to late because they forgot about my care package.

Funeral Day:
*Mattlab walks into the stage.* Nickster was a amazing community member, unfortunately he couldn't wait for our two week delayed care package needed for survival. Fortunately we have announced Blog Post Six, so please take the time to go to on our website via your mobile devices. *Someone sitting in the back row mentions he has a flip phone.* Shhhh never mention your obsolescence at a Atari funeral.*
- Be patient or you could end up like this if you hold your breath for too long.

a-can-o-beans
03-04-2015, 01:26 PM
nope. if its roller coaster tycoon its good enough for me. same with mario games. i'm a mario fanboy too. i will buy this no matter what, and i will buy any mario game no matter what.(excluding mario vs. DK series)

i will admit nintendo has a GREAT track record and i would probably buy any zelda game cause they have all been good. im talking more along the lines of other developers. just wait, one day you will see what im talking about.

mb1.0.2
03-04-2015, 02:33 PM
It may be safe to say that Atari and Area 52 do not have a booth at GDC, but does anyone know if they have a Con Suite at a hotel and are privately showing their games to journalists? That would be a big save of money for them.

I have been hoping for a lot more for this Franchise since we got WILD!, such as Penguins! and other animal additions but the falling out between Frontier and Atari then, ended that. And now with the buisness model in the industry of DLC, perhaps we can get such things. So in September when they announced, I became very excited.

I am disappointed that the Community Managers have not Managed at all on the forums. We can't deny that they have very poor communication skills. If I was their professor in college, they would get a terrible grade.

However as a Businessman, I understand that there are issues one has to deal with while releasing a game. For instance (and this is just a hypothetical) say you have a killer feature the community has proposed that now you want to adopt, and beat the pants off of TPS and Frontier's upcoming offering. It puts the project another two weeks out, and something else added two weeks, and the Beta will add a month, and, and, and, so eventually what you want to tell everyone become smaller because you don't want to say something and then find that Frontier or TPS have adopted it and made it a key feature, and might even beat you to release.

Now, in comparison to what we have seen, and to that scenario, we should have seen more. We were seeing more with Pipeworks. We did have a better CM with Pipeworks. Is it possible that there are legal problems and coding problems between Pipeworks, Atari and Area 52 that have caused the current mess and lack of information?

In any case, GDC is half way through, so let us cross our fingers that Mattlab will have something for us Friday, that journalists will see the game in a suite, and that next week we will have something great to talk about.

Those are all very logical and valid points. Great post. I guess my only "rebuttal" is if, in the scenario you played out, why not have that CM or Mattlab hop on and simply tell us, "Hey, guys, we're implementing a few of your suggestions and it's pushed us back a few. Please be patient. We are hoping to get new info to you within the next *insert hard time-frame here*. If anything changes, we'll let you know." Then, we know they're listening to us, we'll know they're working, AND we'll know when we can realistically expect new information. THAT'S what's driving me insane. All these "soons" and "very soon" and "the game is so awesome, trust us"...it simply feels like pandering and treating me with kid gloves. I have enough love of the RCT franchise to join your forums, at the very least, treat my like a valued customer, not a little kid that might not understand dates and big words. I can handle it...really.

If they weren't ready for the onslaught of the community, then they should have waited until they had more information to start their forums in the first place.

Future RCT
03-04-2015, 02:46 PM

I'm sorry, I was being unreasonable.

ExtraCheese
03-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Those are all very logical and valid points. Great post. I guess my only "rebuttal" is if, in the scenario you played out, why not have that CM or Mattlab hop on and simply tell us, "Hey, guys, we're implementing a few of your suggestions and it's pushed us back a few. Please be patient. We are hoping to get new info to you within the next *insert hard time-frame here*. If anything changes, we'll let you know." Then, we know they're listening to us, we'll know they're working, AND we'll know when we can realistically expect new information. THAT'S what's driving me insane. All these "soons" and "very soon" and "the game is so awesome, trust us"...it simply feels like pandering and treating me with kid gloves. I have enough love of the RCT franchise to join your forums, at the very least, treat my like a valued customer, not a little kid that might not understand dates and big words. I can handle it...really.

If they weren't ready for the onslaught of the community, then they should have waited until they had more information to start their forums in the first place.

I completely agree with you here. I really have nothing to add to that.

RedBlueLaw
03-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I agree with a-can-o-beans.

Blind devotion to these games, without seeing what they are becoming, is absolutely a big factor in what's wrong with the gaming industry today. It makes the developer's life easy, and consumers tend to suffer.

Stating this point of view is not immature, it's not an attack, it's merely an observation that I (and many others) have gathered over the years.

On a different note, whoever posted the joke about Atari parking a car in front of the convention and showing the game out of the trunk, has gotten a laugh out of me. Bravo, whoever you are!

k1ng r4t
03-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I agree that many people are being rather hostile, and can definitely voice their concern in a more appropriate way.

On the other hand, the "negativity" from many of us stems from the way Atari treated the RCT Community a few years ago. Long story short, they screwed us over BIG TIME, made promises and broke them without hesitation. That's where many of the "but they promised" arguments are coming from, I suspect.

If you weren't around when this happened, then you just wouldn't understand. And there's nothing wrong with that. But you need to understand that some of us do have concerns about this game, and Atari, for a reason. Don't dismiss our concerns because some people don't know how to properly voice their frustrations.

Furthermore, I think that most of our "negativity" and frustration is coming from a good place. I want RCTW to succeed. I want Atari to succeed. I cannot confirm nor deny that when they first announced RCTW I screamed with joy like a little fanboi. But yes, a lot of us ARE being overly defensive and protective (and rightfully so IMO) because Atari has not been very good to their loyal RCT community. I know, know...companies change. But the mistrust is so deep rooted at this point, it's going to take a lot to gain it back for many of us.

I understand that, and I am very aware of how Atari acted then. Hence the "under new management" comment earlier on...it seems senseless to get so worked up over what we don't know. But no matter, I understand where everyone is coming from, and as ridiculous as I think it is, I respect your right to rage.

k1ng r4t
03-04-2015, 03:51 PM
I agree with a-can-o-beans.

Blind devotion to these games, without seeing what they are becoming, is absolutely a big factor in what's wrong with the gaming industry today. It makes the developer's life easy, and consumers tend to suffer.

Stating this point of view is not immature, it's not an attack, it's merely an observation that I (and many others) have gathered over the years.

On a different note, whoever posted the joke about Atari parking a car in front of the convention and showing the game out of the trunk, has gotten a laugh out of me. Bravo, whoever you are!

While I agree to an extent...buying the game the day it comes out is not blind devotion. That's wanting to play a new game from your favorite series, particularly when you've been waiting 10 years for it. I don't trust critics either, and since there won't be user reviews...Then it comes out and you find out it sucks and tell other gamers and then they don't buy it. Same thing that's been happening since Atari first came around. It's not ruining the game industry, the spread of information is just greater than ever so it seems worse. Most new games are good games.

I absolutely plan on buying the game when it comes out and I absolutely know I'm not ruining the game industry by doing so. DLC and rushed release dates are what kill games. Especially the latter.