PDA

View Full Version : How did everyone end up playing there first game of RCT

Chazzagm93
02-22-2015, 07:52 PM
I remember myself when I was really young , going into living room and watching older sister playing the first ever RCT and i was amazed you could build your own theme park ever since then I've been playing these games and I'm 21 now!

I'm not a typical gaming guy I go out a lot but when it comes to RCT I will sit on it for hours (wouldn't tell my mates though haha)

Cannot wait for RCTW !!!

coaster6
02-22-2015, 07:54 PM
When I was young, we got prizes for being good. RCT was for sale for $5 at marshals. $5 that would change my life forever. Looking back at it, I guess I chose it as my prize becuase it looked cool. I couldn't play the game myself when I was young. My mom would play and I would tell her what to do. Years later, and I'm still playing.

Chazzagm93
02-22-2015, 07:57 PM
When I was young, we got prizes for being good. RCT was for sale for $5 at marshals. $5 that would change my life forever. Looking back at it, I guess I chose it as my prize becuase it looked cool. I couldn't play the game myself when I was young. My mom would play and I would tell her what to do. Years later, and I'm still playing.

That's what I used to do with my sister as I was young couldn't play it so I used to tell her to make me certain rides lol graphics have come along way since the first one

Vampiro
02-22-2015, 08:25 PM
I guess im kind of a senior over here ;) im 33 years old.
I remember some classmate of mine playing RCT1 during lunchbreak. I have been quite a rollercoaster "fan" or better said, i just love visiting theme parks.

Ofcourse it got my attention when i saw him playing a game in which you build your very own park!
Been a fan of the series since that day, which is now 16 years ago :)

ParadeOfHorror
02-22-2015, 08:33 PM
My dad brought me rct1 back in early 2000 when we brought a computer.Then i think 2001? i got rct2

Sam223
02-22-2015, 08:43 PM
You're not much older than me vampiro. I first played the rct1 demo (pc gamer i think),then immediately begged my parents to buy me corkscrew follies (expansion 1). Was hooked there after. Never got into rct3 (bad UI,frame rate,AI) although did play it a little but continued to play rct2 until a few years back.

LooseKid187
02-22-2015, 09:03 PM
I was at a new school. I didnt know anyone there. And i only had 1 year left till highschool. This kid came up to me and we started talking. I invited her over for an afternoon on a saturday. She brough this game with her because her family didnt own a computer. Luckely my grandmother just brough on a few months before had. Had dial up internet and everything lol we loaded up this game while listing to the epic tune that played while it installed.... we loved it. Every afternoon we would play the game for hours.

I brought rct2 and we loved that also by this point we where in highschool.

For a Valintines day present, she got me the expansions lol

We actually finally got together in grade 9 and have been together ever since. Engaged to never be married as i keep telling her, with 2 kids 6yo and 14weeks old we both still find time to play rct. And we are looking forward to the new addition to the series!

Im 25 now and have alot to thank that wonderful game for!

coaster6
02-22-2015, 09:32 PM
This is amazing..

timtimmy
02-22-2015, 11:04 PM
When I was a kid, I went over to my cousin's house one day; he had this new game he wanted to show me. He started up RCT1, and I remember hearing the title music for the first time. Such beautiful music. He showed me a park he'd been working on; it was Bumbly Beach. He had already gotten the park to year 7 and had rides and scenery everywhere. It was amazing. I asked if I could give it a go, so he let me start a new park. Forest Frontiers. He walked me through how the game works, how to place things, the basics. And eventually I was hooked. I probably played for a good 5-6 hours straight, too. I came back almost every day just to play the game. He ended up giving it to me because he got RCT2. I also got RCT2 but at a Scholastic Book Fair. Later on RCT3 came out; my cousin skipped out on that one, but I was freaking ecstatic and got that, too. I've been playing all three since, so of course I'm super excited about RCTW!

BeerWhiskers
02-23-2015, 12:06 AM
I've been a theme park and roller coaster fan for as long as I can remember, and a friend of mine that worked at a park in Indiana mentioned that RCT was coming soon when I called to let him know it was coming. I was 32 when RCT was released, and had traveled for some intensive training for work the week it was released. I didn't have a laptop then, so I had brought my whole desktop setup with me and had it in the hotel room and stayed up way too late every night instead of studying. (Aced the exams though). Been playing ever since then.

king_austin95
02-23-2015, 12:57 AM
i'm 19. i don't really remember how i started playing. i think i just got the game because i really liked roller coasters and i ended up playing all of the games in the series.

king_austin95
02-23-2015, 01:00 AM
i've also played thrillville, sim theme park, and one other one i forget what it was called. something deluxe. and it has a disney version too.

king_austin95
02-23-2015, 01:01 AM
roller coaster tycoon is obviously my favorite.
i've also played roller coaster factory which was nothing special

Angel
02-23-2015, 07:38 AM
I bought RCT2 in a game sale one day, less than a month before RCT3 was released. So I played RCT2 for a very short time, and then moved on to RCT3. I've been playing it happily ever since. I'm 45 years old and most of the time a woman, but when I'm playing RCT3 I'm totally a girl, lol :p. I really love this game. I greatly admire all those who have made - and let's not forget: freely shared - a lot of beautifully designed sets of custom content, and also all those who are incredibly creative in applying those sets. The community, the hardcore fans, made the game into what it is. However, the base game has gotten old, outdated. Because of everything that has already been put into it, RCT3 deserves a worthy successor. The devs have their jobs cut out for them. I really really really hope they will pull it off.

a-can-o-beans
02-23-2015, 01:32 PM
i was 6 years old when i got my first copy of roller coaster tycoon through the Totinos party pizza box. the magical part for me was the main menu screen... yes the music was loud and obnoxious at the time but has it played through all these parks and they looked fantastic in comparison to what i have made. Then i finally clicked on diamond heights and saw the park i was jealous about running right in front of my eyes ready for me to play with. this is when i was truly HOOKED on these games. i got rct2 triple thrill pack when i walked past it in a Walmart begging my parents to buy it for me. thank goodness they did. i had the menu screen had the EXACT same affect on me when i saw these "real" six flags parks and when i opened up one of them my little brain exploded with excitement! everything was better in 2. the sounds, the peeps, building with scenery and ride music ( cause i never got RCT1 expansions as a kid)i loved reading the little book they gave you in the triple thrill pack that told you about the real coasters they put into the game. wasn't long when RCT3 was being shown off in my schools book fair. my parent bought it for me and i remember installing it and getting so excited to play when suddenly i got an error that the game couldn't run cause my GPU couldn't handle it... this was a devastating time for me.. i didn't truly understand computers at the time so i had to play on my fathers laptop but he wouldn't let me play but a few times. i think this is the single biggest reason i don't like RCT3 as much as 1 and 2. it made a big jump and i couldn't go with it. i did eventually get a decent computer in the 9th grade and bought all the expansions but never really got into 3 as much as i did 2. Now fast forward to now and im running a great PC and still i don't get excited for rct3. but RCT truly has a place in my heart that no other game has. i work at KINGS ISLAND right now as a rides supervisor and am a coaster enthusiast. i owe RCT a lot for guiding me in this direction. so i really REALLY want RCTW to bring back what i love in my favorite game series ever. we can only hope the devs will read these and will be inspired to really do RCTW right.

arnaudober
02-23-2015, 04:58 PM
I was at my friend's home, and saw him playing to RollerCoaster Tycoon 1. I asked him what he was playing, and if I could try it. I loved it and played at my home just after!
For this day, I played to RCT1, RCT2 very quickly, and bought RCT3 when he was released. I wait for RCTW with impatience. I love RCT3 but graphics begin to be very old compared to my others games of 2014 or 2015.

unclekrusty
02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
When I was a kid, we had RCT1 along with Railroad Tycoon II and Transport Tycoon.

Epic Wink
02-23-2015, 10:38 PM
We had a demo cd that had RTC2. My dad noticed how much I played that, and bought the full game for me. I played it quite a lot.

After we moved just before high school, I lost the disc, but as a reward for school performance, my mother bought me RCT3 gold. Played that a lot.

When I started uni, I had moved and made my RCT3 disc unusable. But by then I had discovered Steam, so I bought RCT platinum on that platform. Also, within the last couple of year I had found out about GOG, and promptly bought RCT2, which is great for my low-end laptop on the go.

I now play both every now and then.

PixelPlayer
02-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Demo from a PC game magazine.

Cabelle1863
02-24-2015, 02:07 AM
I got my first copy of RCT1 through the Totinos Pizza offer too, although I was in my late 20's-early 30's. :cool: I think you had to send in something like 8 UPC codes and the shipping fee to get it. I enjoyed it so much that I went on to buy RCT2 Triple Thrill and RCT 3. I've always enjoyed the types of games where you have to think and plan ahead, and where you can express your creativity.

I still play RCT 2 & 3. RCT1 doesn't seem to want to work with Windows 8.1, and I'm not savvy enough to figure it out. I have loads of fun with the other two though, and I cannot wait for RCT World.

jjmccrae
02-24-2015, 08:15 AM
I was 14 years old at the time and I just remember looking in my local WHSmith and they had just started selling PC Games. I had always loved the ideas of theme parks. And the box just screamed BUY ME!

Best decision ever. I do remember walking 5 miles in the rain to buy one of the expansion packs the morning of my birthday as I hadn't got it as a present.

Haven't played with RCT 3, and right now I don't see the point in getting involved with it since the RCTW is due soon. My obsession is slowing building again.

jkay1993
02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I got the trial version of the game in a cd that came with a technology magazine called DIGIT. "chip" in that time, now Digit.

It was one hell of game. <3 loved it.

moonfox
03-01-2015, 12:37 AM
My best friend had RT1 when I was about 10 years old. I loved theme parks and it was the best game I'd ever seen - sometimes I'd come over just to convince her to play the game. It was so immersive, with the great music and colours and the simple design. I saved up all of my pocket money and bought the Totally Rollercoaster pack about a year later, and I still play it today (along with RT2 and RT3). I'm not much of a games person, but I've stuck with RT, The Sims, Zoo Tycoon and Petz from the start.