PDA

View Full Version : How to keep current users and obtain new members.

chardo440
02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
its clear to me that the dev team although working hard aren't very organized when it comes to blogs or other information. As far as this game supposedly is... Shouldn't we kind of expect a blog every Friday or whenever/whatever day. The best way to keep people interested or excited so people keep talking about the game and in turn attract more attention to the game would be to have a continuous on-time release on said days. Just something to look forward to rather than have the fans in the dark for weeks at a time. Something as small as a picture or a coaster just teasers to constanly look forward to even if it's minuscule. Like the game rust for example they have a dev blog every Friday. They show new art, new models, new animations, new ideas, even though they are far from done. But they keep everyone on the know of what they're working on and where the most effort is being put. Does anyone else agree with this?

Vampiro
02-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Unfortunatly i agree :(

The developers seem like nice people who just as we love the RCT series. But marketingwise they are doing a terrible job.
I consider myself a die-hard fan as i have been playing since RCT1 and i still play RCT3 regulary. But even i dont always feel the urge to check the forums because i know the chances of any news, blog, picture of movie are pretty slim.

When the game was due to release at the fall of 2015 i could understand there is not much news te tell every week, but for a game that was promised beginning of 2015 we might expect to be teased by information, pictures, movies, etc ...

Like i said before, i want to get hyped, but give me something to be hyped about.
If they continue this for too long people will turn away to a place where there actually is some news. I even read some posts where people started to doubt if this game is even real.

A perfect example of how it should be done is Mortal Kombat X and its developer Ed Boon on twitter. The guy twitters every day, teases a lot and for the last few month's every few weeks there is a character reveal.
Do the same here please! Even if the game isn't finished yet. Why not give us a few screenshots every few days, or reveal a coaster type every week... I know i would get op 5 min's earlyer to read about coaster reveal friday every week before going to work ;)

Angel
02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
I totally agree!

And if, for whatever reason, a blog isn't finished yet on Friday, then there's no law saying that it can't be published on Saturday instead. Or any other day for that matter.

Also, if we are to believe Mattlab's posts, then he must have been taking a truckload of actual gameplay screenshots by now. I'd really really really like to see some of those. Not just more teaser art. That's not enough, not anymore.

At first I was really excited about the prospect of finally getting a new RCT installment to play with. Now my excitement has dwindled to almost nothing. As a result of the lack of involvement of the devs with the community, and the resulting lack of information, I'm almost beginning to doubt that there is an actual game being made. Please, devs, prove me wrong!

SparkyUK
02-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Guys, I do feel your frustration, but I have worked in a setup like this before, and I can assure you, these guys aren't just sitting reading forums and not taking much note or interest. They'll be pushed out to their max to hit deadlines and to ensure the product actually works.

Having said that... I have to say all their fanfare about keeping us posted, and involvement from three members of Atari/A52 hasn't really gone as I expected. I don't know about others, but I am coming to this forum less and less now, because while there are interesting conversations going on, it's getting a bit boring guessing what's going on, and having no feedback. For a game that isn't far from landing, we know almost nothing. Not how the industry normally plays this.

Before I get flamed, as I no doubt will, let me just say that some software houses manage this just fine, and communication and engagement are part of marketing and sales build-up. There's not really a lot going on here of late.

a-can-o-beans
02-17-2015, 02:43 PM
The Devs or the community managers need to step up there game. i dont get paid but i find time to get on the forum everyday. its REALLY not that difficult to get on the forum and just talk to the members. we get teasers but no actual info on anything specific in the game. just look at parkitects devs. they post blogs every week with screenshots and small videos, explaining what they have been working on and even new ideas. not only that but they still go on reddit and talk to the people who are buying the game. AAA gaming studios like Atari should have the money to hire better community managers. i dont mean to put down mattlab cause im sure has alot of confidential info that he has to be very careful about not saying. im just saying that community involvement is possible and is necessary. get it together atari/area52

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 02:51 PM
No Sparky I'm with you, I absolutely empathize with the difficulties a dev faces, including (and possibly most importantly), angry fans. Could it be better? Sure. Has it been done better in the past? Of course. Is it bad enough to lose all hope in humanity and start attacking the people doing this for you? Hell no!

I don't fault you Area 52, I support you. I do believe you're trying your best and not scheming and eating doritos like many here seem to think. Many believe developers are huge office suites full of people delegated to tasks to get the job done in a timely matter, when realistically with indie devs it's a group of 4 or 5 who are in charge of everything, which is a lot. Not to mention the extremely limited funding. The pressure they face from publishers is ungodly and borderline cruel at times.

They just released a blog two weeks ago, and another 1 week before that. I WISH other developers would make note of that. Are you guys expecting day by day updates? Like 95% of every major game ever, I doubt that will happen.

And most importantly....PATIENCE IS A FREAKIN' VIRTUE PEOPLE! The game was just announced a few months ago for crying out loud. Do you guys think they've been working on this for 10 years or something? They haven't. This is absolutely and completely normal for almost ANY game EVER made. "Details coming soon." This has been said with every piece of technology for the past 30 years now.

I've been waiting 10 years for this game. I didn't think it would even happen. I'm slightly sickened at how demanding some of these posters are because they're used to their Halo/CoD/Destiny game announcements and releases and blah blah blah. Mortal Kombat X is NOT Roller Coaster Tycoon. There are so many differences between these two games (funding, number of workers, in development for years etc etc), it's just completely unfair to compare them. I'm just thankful to have any announcement of anything in the past year, and you all should be too. It's like comparing the movie Titanic to the movie Underdogs. Never heard of Underdogs? Exactly.

I promise you guys, the devs aren't sitting around with piles of photos and gameplay trailers under their chair. If it's not been posted yet, there's a reason. Now children sit down and drink your juice.

Sam223
02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
The Devs or the community managers need to step up there game. i dont get paid but i find time to get on the forum everyday. its REALLY not that difficult to get on the forum and just talk to the members. we get teasers but no actual info on anything specific in the game. just look at parkitects devs. they post blogs every week with screenshots and small videos, explaining what they have been working on and even new ideas. not only that but they still go on reddit and talk to the people who are buying the game. AAA gaming studios like Atari should have the money to hire better community managers. i dont mean to put down mattlab cause im sure has alot of confidential info that he has to be very careful about not saying. im just saying that community involvement is possible and is necessary. get it together atari/area52
Agreed,Parktiect development is a joy the watch. Every week they have something to show and a explanation of how it works or what it is in a few bullet points. They are also engaging with all customers on shyguys forums regarding ideas and suggestions. They only have 3 developers working on the title and 0 community managers.

I feel like i know how that game will play,what its capable of,what itll look like,whats planned/shelved months before its even due to become 'early access'. Whereas RCTW has a comparatively huge team working on it with multiple community managers,due out 'soon' but almost zero info other than amazing features with no explanation.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 02:55 PM

We get a dev post somewhere in a random thread usually at least once a day, if not then it's been every other day. At least since I started coming here...

a-can-o-beans
02-17-2015, 02:56 PM
We get a dev post somewhere in a random thread usually at least once a day, if not then it's been every other day. At least since I started coming here...

one post a day doesn't cut it. especially when that one post a day doesn't give any info about the game.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't expect field updates every second in every random idea thread, I'm just amazed at how so many do. The way I interpret one post a day, sometimes more, is they're at least reading the forums. Like Sam said, his game gives weekly updates. Ok ours was two weeks ago, Area52 is now instantly lazy and unprofessional. All of this just blows my mind and saddens me, I always thought the RCT community was one of the more level headed ones.

darkhorizon
02-17-2015, 03:05 PM
I don't even care if the Devs don't post on these forums. That's not their job. I'd rather them focus their efforts on the game.

The community managers, on the other hand....this IS their job. The old developer's community manager was constantly posting and answering questions, even on other websites and forums. That was highly appreciated by many and really helped gather up some hype for the game.

Remember Dre_Roberts who was supposed to be answering our questions and posting about the game? He hasn't been online in 15 days. What about RCTCM who, and I quote from his introductory thread, "[we'll] be seeing a lot from [him]". Where is he? Mattlab definitely posts the most out of all of them, but still, we are lucky if we see a post from him every other day...

Just really disappointing all around. I feel like they are running around like chickens without a head in their studios, because the whole situation just seems very unorganized.

Hopefully it improves and their "marketing efforts start ramping up" for real.

ExtraCheese
02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Atari / Area 52 appointed a community manager, which was even introduced to the community. He is not here. That is very upsetting me, as they act like they are really involved with the community, but don't walk the walk.

As for blog posts... yeah it would be cool if we had one every friday, especially since we are close to the release date. If not, thats also cool, but I think we deserve a little more clarity about it. It's always good to know when to expect something, and not a day ahead.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 03:24 PM
I love the feeling of a new blog post after a week or two, it's like Christmas morning when I was a kid. Only this time it's Santa C visiting with his family group Misses C and their two kids George K and Michael S. Apparently they're hungry now....no wait, they need to use the bathroom. Now they want more rides.....kids these days.

darkhorizon
02-17-2015, 03:34 PM
I love the feeling of a new blog post after a week or two, it's like Christmas morning when I was a kid.

Except we can expect Christmas to be on the same day every year.

Vampiro
02-17-2015, 04:36 PM
I've been waiting 10 years for this game. I didn't think it would even happen. I'm slightly sickened at how demanding some of these posters are because they're used to their Halo/CoD/Destiny game announcements and releases and blah blah blah. Mortal Kombat X is NOT Roller Coaster Tycoon. There are so many differences between these two games (funding, number of workers, in development for years etc etc), it's just completely unfair to compare them. I'm just thankful to have any announcement of anything in the past year, and you all should be too. It's like comparing the movie Titanic to the movie Underdogs. Never heard of Underdogs? Exactly.

I promise you guys, the devs aren't sitting around with piles of photos and gameplay trailers under their chair. If it's not been posted yet, there's a reason. Now children sit down and drink your juice.

Im not comparing Mortal Kombat X to RCTW, all i do is compare the marketing.
As i've said before, the developers seem like nice people who are fans like we are, and ofcourse i realize they are busy and don't tell us all the details yet.

All i did was make a refference to Ed Boon, who is not the only developer, hes just a single person like you and me.
So i dont think your agument is valid about how they are developed, funded etc. It doesn't even matter how good your game is before the game is released. Untill release the game is as good as how well you can sell it and make people hyped.
Part of the job of making a game, is making people wanting to buy it.

Im also a littlebit annoyed by you calling me demanding. I don't think im demanding when im asking for just a few screenshots or gameplay just to show what they have so far. Just to tease us about all the awesome features they said that would be in the game. Not asking for a free trial or 60 minute gameplay video.

Also dont forget the game was said to be released at the beginning of 2015. Which to most people is january-march.
It's very uncommon that a game has shown almost no footage that close to a release. While ofcourse we all agree that this came probably won't be released at the beginning of this year. Which again we don't know for sure because there is quite a shortage on information.

No offence to you, and no offence to the developers, as i truly believe they do their best to make this an awesome game.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Great post Vampiro, you made a solid argument in an eloquent way without any name calling, I can appreciate that. I apologize for not being clear, I tend to speak in generalizations, but I was referring to the collective posters as demanding (most people in this thread wanting more info and disliking the game because they don't get it), not you in specific. But like I said in another thread, I've seen so much worse in the past, and especially being a techie.....if RCTW development bothers you, don't ever consider keeping up with smartphones, talk about misleading and mysterious. THOSE people are liars.

I knew you weren't comparing the two games and I am talking about funding/number of employees actually working on the project, which is incredibly unlikely to be more than 10 people, and how that affects marketing. Those MKX tweets haven't been around since the very first announcement. They aren't going to start marketing an unfinished product, and they have way more money and time to do those things. Maintaining a business Twitter feed isn't as free as you'd think. Then everyone would be up in arms that they're teasing all this stuff and going to release it soon when it's clearly unfinished. This isn't an assumption, I've seen it before. What I've learned from experience is developers just can't win. Whether it's the publisher, fans, or technology issues, nothing ever goes according to plan. It's also hard work. I do know getting upset about it won't help either and if anything just discourages them, as I can almost guarantee they're doing the best they can.

Honestly I wouldn't doubt that Area 52 isn't just a straight dev team, but a group of guys who work other jobs, maybe some with a family, and also develop. I'd be surprised if the Valentines Day contest wasn't a big inconvenience for them, but they decided to do it anyways cause it'd be fun for the fans. I could be wrong, but the RCTW guys just don't seem like the "lazy," "unprofessional," conniving, "lying" cheats some make them out to be. Tons of games are given "early-20XX" precursors that is regularly pushed back. I actually immediately interpret that as "something major will be announced to ease everyone's pains in early 2015." The fact they used the word "release" makes me hope it's a beta or early access release.

Now if we do get an official release date and that time draws near and they're still feeding us little to no information, I'll be in the same boat with all of you. That's almost never a good sign.

Like I said in the other thread, I guess I've seen so much worse I actually think them keeping us up to date this early in development is a great thing. They already update their FB page occasionally, I don't doubt a regular Twitter update feed will come eventually. Sure I'd like to see more, but I understand if that can't happen yet.

Wabigbear
02-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Now children sit down and drink your juice.

The infamously nasty Atari RCT3 fan-boi's of the past have been reborn for this new game I suspect. Come on, was that necessary?

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Ha! Haha!

Would you like me to go through this board, this thread, and quote various posts of "nasty fan boi" things that have been said about a new developer working on a brand new product because it doesn't meet their expectations?

Were THOSE really necessary?

With all the name calling and baseless assumptions...sorry, but yeah, children do come to mind.

Edit: I'm also nothing but nice to everyone on here and try my best to contribute to make this the best product ever. If me calling out a bunch of rude, uneducated posts makes me nasty, so be it.

Wabigbear
02-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Atari and Area 52 are big boys, they get paid for the game, and as part of that they also have to put up with good comments as well as the bad, and sometimes some really unfair ones. But that's for THEM to deal with, not members here.

You could have made your point by expressing your opinion without the personal attacks.

EDIT: But it's not your place to be calling anything out.

darkhorizon
02-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Glad someone else has picked up on his seemingly condescending tone he carries throughout most of his posts on this forum.

Everyone's opinion is just as valid as yours, k1ng r4t. Perfectly fine to disagree, but don't belittle others because of it.

Vampiro
02-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Great post Vampiro, you made a solid argument in an eloquent way without any name calling, I can appreciate that. I apologize for not being clear, I tend to speak in generalizations, but I was referring to the collective posters as demanding (most people in this thread wanting more info and disliking the game because they don't get it), not you in specific. But like I said in another thread, I've seen so much worse in the past, and especially being a techie.....if RCTW development bothers you, don't ever consider keeping up with smartphones, talk about misleading and mysterious. THOSE people are liars.

I knew you weren't comparing the two games and I am talking about funding/number of employees actually working on the project, which is incredibly unlikely to be more than 10 people, and how that affects marketing. Those MKX tweets haven't been around since the very first announcement. They aren't going to start marketing an unfinished product, and they have way more money and time to do those things. Maintaining a business Twitter feed isn't as free as you'd think. Then everyone would be up in arms that they're teasing all this stuff and going to release it soon when it's clearly unfinished. This isn't an assumption, I've seen it before. What I've learned from experience is developers just can't win. Whether it's the publisher, fans, or technology issues, nothing ever goes according to plan. It's also hard work. I do know getting upset about it won't help either and if anything just discourages them, as I can almost guarantee they're doing the best they can.

Honestly I wouldn't doubt that Area 52 isn't just a straight dev team, but a group of guys who work other jobs, maybe some with a family, and also develop. I'd be surprised if the Valentines Day contest wasn't a big inconvenience for them, but they decided to do it anyways cause it'd be fun for the fans. I could be wrong, but the RCTW guys just don't seem like the "lazy," "unprofessional," conniving, "lying" cheats some make them out to be. Tons of games are given "early-20XX" precursors that is regularly pushed back. I actually immediately interpret that as "something major will be announced to ease everyone's pains in early 2015." The fact they used the word "release" makes me hope it's a beta or early access release.

Now if we do get an official release date and that time draws near and they're still feeding us little to no information, I'll be in the same boat with all of you. That's almost never a good sign.

Like I said in the other thread, I guess I've seen so much worse I actually think them keeping us up to date this early in development is a great thing. They already update their FB page occasionally, I don't doubt a regular Twitter update feed will come eventually. Sure I'd like to see more, but I understand if that can't happen yet.

Thank you k1ng r4t! It's indeed a rare treat to differ in opinion without name calling, especially online. So it's a pleasure to disagree with you ;)

All in all, i understand both sides. Maybe im a bit spoiled as well. Im in no way a die hard gamer, so it has only been a handfull of games where i was actively looking forward to play before it was released. One of them has been the Mortal Kombat Series in which i know im a bit spoiled as Ed Boon has been twittering since day 1 of the announcement that MK10 would be developed. The other game was the Naruto Series, where from the start new screen's and updates were being given at least every week.

But thats about the only experience i have, so i might be spoiled, i dont know :)

It also seems like we see this all from diffrent perspective. The way you write it seems you assume the game is still in early development. The way i assume the game is in it's final stages of development (given the early 2015 release). If this is actually the case its not that strange we differ opinions because i think we both agree that more information should become available when the release is coming closer.

ExtraCheese
02-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Well of course this game should be in it's final stages of development, given the release date of early 2015. They could have worked for over a year on this game before the teaser trailer was published.
Are we too demanding? No I think not. If a publisher announces a game for early 2015, we sure can ask / expect more information about the game than we have now.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Thank you k1ng r4t! It's indeed a rare treat to differ in opinion without name calling, especially online. So it's a pleasure to disagree with you ;)

All in all, i understand both sides. Maybe im a bit spoiled as well. Im in no way a die hard gamer, so it has only been a handfull of games where i was actively looking forward to play before it was released. One of them has been the Mortal Kombat Series in which i know im a bit spoiled as Ed Boon has been twittering since day 1 of the announcement that MK10 would be developed. The other game was the Naruto Series, where from the start new screen's and updates were being given at least every week.

But thats about the only experience i have, so i might be spoiled, i dont know :)

It also seems like we see this all from diffrent perspective. The way you write it seems you assume the game is still in early development. The way i assume the game is in it's final stages of development (given the early 2015 release). If this is actually the case its not that strange we differ opinions because i think we both agree that more information should become available when the release is coming closer.

I'd been following MKX for awhile but very likely could've missed the very early updates, so I could be wrong about that. But I dunno, I'd say this is completely standard procedure for most games. Announcement, no news, broad release date, some news, some news, more news, release date, more news and pictures/trailer. This is usually the order, though it can span anywhere from 6 months to 10 years. Some games will give you concept art for 2 years that isn't even in the game. To be honest I don't know why they would say early 2015, unless somewhere there was a typo. Maybe it was supposed to say "More Details will be released in early 2015." And the e-mail was lost in translation. Probably not, but hey. I've just never heard of a game being off the radar for a decade, the company even going bankrupt, only to spring to life seemingly out of nowhere with a shiny new game in less than a year.

The only way this is possible if RCTW has been touched on and off over the past x amount of years and so Area 52 is already working with a lot of completed elements. Though if this WERE the case, I'd think there'd be more screen shots.

Your last sentence is spot on though. Because there's no official release date, my expectations are little to none. Once that date is announced, then I'll be expecting more than what we're getting now.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Well of course this game should be in it's final stages of development, given the release date of early 2015. They could have worked for over a year on this game before the teaser trailer was published.
Are we too demanding? No I think not. If a publisher announces a game for early 2015, we sure can ask / expect more information about the game than we have now.

But there's no way that's the case though because 2013 was the year they tried to sell the whole franchise for like 1 or 2 million, chump change for video games, and nobody wanted it. Because of this I thought we'd never have a new PC RCT game ever again. Suddenly Atari is back, a new dev picked up the reigns, and here we are today. It all hit so fast I'm still in shock.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Plus, it's only Feb 17th guys. They still have almost a month and a half to explain the early 2015 thing. If it's still like this after March, then yeah, we'll bump this thread to the top.

Sam223
02-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Plus, it's only Feb 17th guys. They still have almost a month and a half to explain the early 2015 thing. If it's still like this after March, then yeah, we'll bump this thread to the top.
It's not like this thread was raised immediately

In the coming months, I will be introducing other veteran team members at Area 52 Games who will be working on RCTW, posting different assets, getting feedback and sharing game progress. Please visit our website and forums to check out all the latest updates on RCTW. Don’t forget to like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter because we’ll be posting fun stuff everywhere! Until then, see you in the forums.

-Dre
Last edited by Mattlab; 12-18-2014

They actively asked us to come here to give feedback on the game progress and engage with the game process. Yet in the space of 2 months theyve shown us 1 in game screenshot, and 2 assets theyd previously shown us prior to asking people to join the forum.

k1ng r4t
02-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Meh, agree to disagree. I clearly see things differently than most so we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. As long as this game is released eventually and doesn't suck when it does, I don't really care when it comes out.

Only time will tell friends...