PDA

View Full Version : RCT3 vs RCTW: Better graphics?

jackk
02-12-2015, 01:34 AM
I just played RCT3 for the first time in a few years, and the graphics are not much different..?

RTC3:

http://s30.postimg.org/y9sgb5kkh/Screen_Shot_2015_02_12_at_4_27_27_pm.png

http://s13.postimg.org/ev3yrmc4n/Screen_Shot_2015_02_12_at_4_25_54_pm.png

RTCW:

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/123/1239113/2642718-rct1.jpg

http://0f263a1aeaecc2c7e55c-d6d1e91833d4a5aea80657854029c137.r39.cf2.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/FerrisWheel_new_02-400x300.jpg?9de0fa

Thoughts???

PixelPlayer
02-12-2015, 02:04 AM
I see no difference in all honesty.

The post RCT:W images have tilt shift or some kind of post editing applied the images - that much is obvious.

Perhaps the colour tones are better in RCT:W.

Also lets compare accurately with fair imagery. RCTW vs RCT3 + custom scenery.

http://i.imgur.com/dIV20Tp.jpg

It looks to me RCT 3 with custom content is quite something! RCT:W has a lot to compete with! If you look at the fence on the roof of both buildings, the clarity is a lot better in RCT 3.

jackk
02-12-2015, 04:06 AM
I see no difference in all honesty.

The post RCT:W images have tilt shift or some kind of post editing applied the images - that much is obvious.

Perhaps the colour tones are better in RCT:W.

Also lets compare accurately with fair imagery. RCTW vs RCT3 + custom scenery.

http://i.imgur.com/dIV20Tp.jpg

It looks to me RCT 3 with custom content is quite something! RCT:W has a lot to compete with! If you look at the fence on the roof of both buildings, the clarity is a lot better in RCT 3.

This is gonna be a mess :( The graphics are average. At least we can edit the track pieces though, right? haha

Future RCT
02-12-2015, 05:25 AM
Am I the only one that actually notices a significant difference?

ExtraCheese
02-12-2015, 06:14 AM

Nope, there is a great difference! Its all a lot less blocky. I like the cartoonish style.

Chazzagm93
02-12-2015, 08:38 AM

No I notice too, I think the graphics look a lot better especially on the tracks

down86
02-12-2015, 09:30 AM
RTC: W wins from both screen shot. The Graphics from the 1st 1 are not even from the new makers of RTC: W and the 2nd is just a 1st Design wich is only shown to us from what the design in the game will be looking like. And even that one still looks very nice. Cant wait to see the finished results of it.

RCM88x
02-12-2015, 10:32 AM
RCTW graphics are a complete joke. The fact you can even make a comparison between games developed 10 years apart probably is a sign.

BernyMoon
02-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I think RCTW looks a bit better. I love how RCTW looks.

Jamppa158
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Honestly I'd just be happy to see better peeps. The ones RCT3 has are horrible.
I wouldn't compare the graphics before seeing something else than just pictures, though.

GoobyPls
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
I think textures haven't evolved a lot, but the lighting seems pretty awesome. (we can't tell much from a few screenshots though)

king_austin95
02-12-2015, 11:12 AM
I REALLY DON'T CARE HOW GOOD THE GRAPHICS ARE. I DON'T CARE IF ITS CARTOONY. ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT'S THE ARTSTYLE. so PLEASE stop complaining about the damn graphics and get over it

a-can-o-beans
02-12-2015, 12:53 PM
we are at a point in technology where the textures are about as good as they need to be for the time being. but as of recent lighting engines have been getting huge upgrades and are improving all the time. that is the change i see in rctw. textures are improved but if you put them next to rct3 they could look similar but, the lighting engine in RCTW looks amazing. im very happy with the graphics and art style so far assuming not everything gets a splash of theming.

RCTW1
02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
The graphics for RCTW looks very nice to me as well.

Wabigbear
02-12-2015, 02:18 PM
I REALLY DON'T CARE HOW GOOD THE GRAPHICS ARE. I DON'T CARE IF ITS CARTOONY. ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT'S THE ARTSTYLE. so PLEASE stop complaining about the damn graphics and get over it

That's great that you don't care. But it DOES matter to others, so get over it. They have just as much right to post their feelings as you do. Come on, your posts complaining about others complaining are just as bad! LOL!

I know you love the game, that's obvious, but so do most of the people who you may not agree with. Respect them as you want then to respect you, okay?

SparkyUK
02-12-2015, 02:36 PM

No, I also see a huge difference. I'm quite amazed so many can't.

One example alone, look at the peeps. The old ones are so lacking in detail compared to the new game.

Wabigbear
02-12-2015, 03:44 PM
The peeps have had an extreme makeover, they look a thousand times better...not a single bobble-head in sight either

garretslarrity
02-12-2015, 04:06 PM
I see a big difference, especially with the lighting. Even though it retains the cartoon art style, it greatly increases the visible detail.

king_austin95
02-12-2015, 11:33 PM
That's great that you don't care. But it DOES matter to others, so get over it. They have just as much right to post their feelings as you do. Come on, your posts complaining about others complaining are just as bad! LOL!

I know you love the game, that's obvious, but so do most of the people who you may not agree with. Respect them as you want then to respect you, okay?

i'm sorry. i'm just saying its supposed to be cartoony and people are complaining that it doesn't look as realistic as nolimits. they don't understand that cartoony is the artstyle that atari decided to go with for RCTW and all their complaining isn't gonna change that. they say the graphics don't look like they improved much, but they have. its just that its cartoony still. not that the graphics are bad

AUS_Twisted
02-13-2015, 10:56 AM
There's a pretty big difference with the lighting and shadows, RCT3 shadows and shaders are dated. RCT3 does not have full dynamic shadows, it only renders fixed non moving structures (apart from peeps) anything that's moving like rides etc do not cast moving shadows so it looks very wrong at times. RCT3 does not have self shadowing on objects either which gives objects more depth, having said that RCT3 does a really good job (especially at night for it's time) The pool water shader is done very well when peeps jump in and move around or when using the mouse cursor to make waves etc, also love the effect of the water that comes out of the hoses.

BillyBlaze
02-13-2015, 03:41 PM
Honestly I'd just be happy to see better peeps. The ones RCT3 has are horrible.

I completely agree. For me decent looking peeps were also the most important improvement compared to RCT 3.

I am also glad to see that RCTW seems to have more subtle colors. I guess a cartoonish art style is required to make the game appealing to children and casual gamers. But RCT 3 was way too colorful and childish.

I can't say I'm impressed by the graphics so far, but they seem to be okay. As long as it is better than in RCT 3 I mostly care about the gameplay.

Wabigbear
02-13-2015, 06:35 PM
i'm sorry. i'm just saying its supposed to be cartoony and people are complaining that it doesn't look as realistic as nolimits. they don't understand that cartoony is the artstyle that atari decided to go with for RCTW and all their complaining isn't gonna change that. they say the graphics don't look like they improved much, but they have. its just that its cartoony still. not that the graphics are bad

THAT was a great post, and sounded much better than your original one I think.

I think 'graphics' can mean different things to different people.

For some I think it's just the over-all look, be it cartoony or realistic. You're correct, the cartoonish look is a choice by Atari, and likely isn't going to change except through the use of Custom Scenery. Some things in the over-all look HAVE improved, such as the peeps, and some of the backgrounds we've seen.

For other people I think it's the coloring, lighting, crispness of the image, use of alphas, etc, and how it might look overall on todays HD screens, whether cartoony or realistic it's the same concerns.

I'm hoping to see other screens soon that show water and night-time lighting. Be interesting how they dealt with those.

PixelPlayer
02-13-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't think its "supposed" to look cartoony as if there is some kind of rule, but certainly doesn't need to look realistic like no limits how ever. Custom content makers can work on realism if they wish.

Thompso
02-13-2015, 10:27 PM
I would rather have cartoony game then a realistic No limits type graphics that will totally eat up my hardrive. RTC 3 was barely playable during night cycles and got really glichy with a large park.

NO Limits does not have peeps and buildings to compete with that eat up game memory. I don't think any rct franchise can handle realistic graphics when you have many rides, shops,peeps,scenery at one time that's ALOT of memory.

Especially with RCTWORLD where you can share your entire park, no way you will have a realistic 3D game without it crashing

NO limits is just about rollercoasters so it can handle higher graphics.

Thompso
02-13-2015, 10:32 PM
RCT 1 and 2 was as caroony as a game can get tbh.

king_austin95
02-13-2015, 11:48 PM
I would rather have cartoony game then a realistic No limits type graphics that will totally eat up my hardrive. RTC 3 was barely playable during night cycles and got really glichy with a large park.

NO Limits does not have peeps and buildings to compete with that eat up game memory. I don't think any rct franchise can handle realistic graphics when you have many rides, shops,peeps,scenery at one time that's ALOT of memory.

Especially with RCTWORLD where you can share your entire park, no way you will have a realistic 3D game without it crashing

i agree with this

a-can-o-beans
02-14-2015, 12:00 AM

i think people want just a more realistic art style ( i think it looks fine when its not themed). graphically this game looks great. but its the cho cho trains coming out of buildings, the over the top western theme on the flat we just saw, the overly themed train concepts. dont get me wrong the themes are great. but too much and it starts to look like a thrillville game. generic looking theme parks should be considered as well as the over the top themed rides

BillyBlaze
02-14-2015, 09:16 AM
i think people want just a more realistic art style ( i think it looks fine when its not themed). graphically this game looks great. but its the cho cho trains coming out of buildings, the over the top western theme on the flat we just saw, the overly themed train concepts. dont get me wrong the themes are great. but too much and it starts to look like a thrillville game. generic looking theme parks should be considered as well as the over the top themed rides
I think this is more a question of design than a question of graphics. But I agree - I want to be able to build parks that look and feel realistic, in contrast to the Theme Park and Thrillville series which were more about building crazy fantasy parks.

I never liked the overly stereotypical themings that were forced on players in RCT 3 and I hardly ever used the themed attractions like the dynamite stick swing in the western theme set or the skull carousel. With only 4 main theme sets announced I am a bit worried, that there will be a lot of these objects in RCTW again...

I want to be able to create my own themes by combining different generic elements. I really hope the developers consider players like me!

Sam223
02-14-2015, 10:35 AM
I think this is more a question of design than a question of graphics. But I agree - I want to be able to build parks that look and feel realistic, in contrast to the Theme Park and Thrillville series which were more about building crazy fantasy parks.

I never liked the overly stereotypical themings that were forced on players in RCT 3 and I hardly ever used the themed attractions like the dynamite stick swing in the western theme set or the skull carousel. With only 4 main theme sets announced I am a bit worried, that there will be a lot of these objects in RCTW again...

I want to be able to create my own themes by combining different generic elements. I really hope the developers consider players like me!
+1. I played RCT for such a long due to the possibility of using it as a creative outlet. If RCTW ends up with a very limited set of objects, with every park looking like a variations of the last im not intereted.

a-can-o-beans
02-14-2015, 12:41 PM
+1. I played RCT for such a long due to the possibility of using it as a creative outlet. If RCTW ends up with a very limited set of objects, with every park looking like a variations of the last im not intereted.

i agree. i wont be getting the game if it is too limited on making a unique park.

king_austin95
02-14-2015, 05:14 PM
i will definitely be getting this game. its a new roller coaster tycoon. that's good enough for me

Wabigbear
02-14-2015, 05:32 PM
I'll get it if it offers something we don't already have in RCT3. And I'm not talking content, but functionality and if the game engine runs better.

Danny
02-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Simply because it's titled "Roller Coaster Tycoon" does not guarantee I'll purchase it. Atari and Area 52 must earn my interest and desire to purchase it, regardless of if it's part of a franchise I've grown up with.

king_austin95
02-14-2015, 09:54 PM
some people are so picky

BillyBlaze
02-15-2015, 07:34 AM
The point of this forum is to tell the developers what a game fans of the RCT series want and to thereby influence the development. What you are saying is basically "You can screw it up as much as you want, I'm gonna buy it anyway". Well, I'm not. I want to know for sure that this will be a game for fans of the series, not for a dubious target audience of children and casual gamers (as RCT 3D).

koekeritis
02-15-2015, 08:09 AM
there IS a difference!

look at this:
western comparison (http://s28.postimg.org/v5dyt4pbx/rct4.png)

Can the people who don't see a difference now finally see a (big, good) differnece?

HipsterJesus
02-15-2015, 08:28 AM
This is why I'm so disappointed; the graphics really look bad and even almost the same as a 10 year old game. It's like the took everything out of RCT 3 and polished it a tiny bit but it still looks almost the same...

ExtraCheese
02-15-2015, 08:55 AM
there IS a difference!

look at this:
western comparison (http://s28.postimg.org/v5dyt4pbx/rct4.png)

Can the people who don't see a difference now finally see a (big, good) differnece?

Great comparison pic, depicts the difference really well.

I think most people don't understand that this is not an high-end game like Battlefield or GTA. This game engine also has to work with a lot of (detailed?) peepz who walk in your park, moving attractions and scenery.

Caine
02-15-2015, 08:57 AM
I dont think it looks like the same graphic. Look at the textures for example: they have a much higher resolution and finally shaders. You see this best at the roofs or paths. The Light Enginge is much better, the peeps arent this ugly like they were in RCT3 and the terrain is also improved (I like the new trees for example).

Mattlab
02-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Graphics are incredibly important to us and as mentioned in my blog it is an area of the game that as we head towards release you will see dramatically improve more and more. That said, however, playing RCT3 and then switching to RCTW you will see a HUGE improvement already that is hard to capture in a screenshot. The games look dramatically different.

ddrplaya4638
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Looking foward to it!!!! I have faith that you all are doing a good job. Hopefully we won't have to wait to long for more information.

ExtraCheese
02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Graphics are incredibly important to us and as mentioned in my blog it is an area of the game that as we head towards release you will see dramatically improve more and more. That said, however, playing RCT3 and then switching to RCTW you will see a HUGE improvement already that is hard to capture in a screenshot. The games look dramatically different.

Awesome Matt, I can't wait to see more ingame footage!

k1ng r4t
02-16-2015, 02:59 AM
Definitely a dramatic improvement in most areas and I know for a fact it's only going to get better.

k1ng r4t
02-16-2015, 03:11 AM
I do wish they'd turn off/down the depth of field in the RCTW screenshots, I never was a big fan of that and like to see my park as a whole. Could do with just a tad bit less bloom too...

king_austin95
02-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Awesome Matt, I can't wait to see more ingame footage!

you can't really say ''more'' as we really haven't seen ANY yet.

SparkyUK
02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
I do wish they'd turn off/down the depth of field in the RCTW screenshots, I never was a big fan of that and like to see my park as a whole. Could do with just a tad bit less bloom too...

SimCity has that, but you can tone it down, or turn it off. Hopefully that is the same for RCTW as I'm not a fan of that myself, either. Although saying that, occasionally on SimCity it does add some atmosphere - but it's not a feature I use a lot.

k1ng r4t
02-16-2015, 03:37 PM
RCT3 has insane bloom, it's so overwhelming. Fortunately it can at least be turned off and the difference is huge. I like my lamps to have a radiant effect, but not if it covers half the path doing it.

Jdub97
02-17-2015, 09:26 AM
How are you going to compare custom content made by players to what the actual studio makes? That's dumb. Showing custom scenery has nothing to do with graphics by the way.

Thompso
02-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Forget RCTW and RCT3 graphics for right now , I just downloaded RCT2 on Steam and currently playing I am once again smitten by my old time childhood game, I guess I will be playing 1 and 2 unitl RCTW finally comes to lite.

ExtraCheese
02-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Forget RCTW and RCT3 graphics for right now , I just downloaded RCT2 on Steam and currently playing I am once again smitten by my old time childhood game, I guess I will be playing 1 and 2 unitl RCTW finally comes to lite.

Same here :D

Helena
02-18-2015, 09:11 PM
RCT1+2
Same here, sometimes I come back and play again those old scenarios.. very played to death. ;)
Really, if I get a game that is exactly like RCT1/2 (including identical graphics but turned 3d) but in 3d I would be happy. :D
Yes it is quite limited in the track and the grid, but the play is butter smooth!

Marktatious
02-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Lol this looks like this game could run on a gamecube LOL

Seriously, we're in 2015 and THIS is what we get? The game better have some phenomenal performance then. >:(

Stranger
02-21-2015, 10:54 AM
@OP, to be honest, although the graphics are roughly the same style in both games, RCTW does have vastly improved graphics. If you can't see it already just by looking at the screenshots of the new game then there is no point in me trying to explain how their better.

joshg06
03-08-2015, 06:12 PM
We have all been waiting for the next instalment of the RCT franchise, and I know obviously the game hasn't been released yet, however based on the graphics and the graphics only I am so disappointed. I was expecting quite a large improvement in this area, and if not improved then to be less cartoony, however what we have got is graphics that are VERY slightly better, but even more cartoony and unrealistic. The video that has released looks like it is from RCT3. 10 years later, I don't understand why we are being given a game that is visually marginally different. I feel so deflated and disappointed.

RCTW1
03-08-2015, 11:33 PM
The video made the graphics look 5-10 years earlier than RCT3, almost like Sim Theme Park.

Kombiice
03-09-2015, 02:23 AM
hehe theme park :D:D

tycoon
03-09-2015, 02:58 AM
The video that has released looks like it is from RCT3. 10 years later, I don't understand why we are being given a game that is visually marginally different. I feel so deflated and disappointed.

the screenshots from months ago look like a slight improvement vs. rct3.

the teaser trailer released last week looks like several steps back from rct3.

it really looks like the product of a production staff that doesn't know how to make anything even like rct3 happen, let alone make it better. it is just terrible, in my opinion. i played with 3d modeling just for kicks and giggles years ago, and i could have done better, and that was on technology far lesser than what is available at the current point in time. i've directed 3d rendering for REAL projects, and despite being half a world away, when i visited i realized they were entirely true to form. i'm not even expecting that sort of realism from a coaster game, but what was presented in this teaser trailer is just plain and simply laughable, and in my opinion pre-dates rct3 in terms of everything. it just sucks.

i reserve placing 'judgment' pending mattlab's comments 'early this week', but in short, he's got some 'splainin to do.

koekeritis
03-09-2015, 03:03 AM
the screenshots from months ago look like a slight improvement vs. rct3.

the teaser trailer released last week looks like several steps back from rct3.

it really looks like the product of a production staff that doesn't know how to make anything even like rct3 happen, let alone make it better. it is just terrible, in my opinion. i played with 3d modeling just for kicks and giggles years ago, and i could have done better, and that was on technology far lesser than what is available at the current point in time. i've directed 3d rendering for REAL projects, and despite being half a world away, when i visited i realized they were entirely true to form. i'm not even expecting that sort of realism from a coaster game, but what was presented in this teaser trailer is just plain and simply laughable, and in my opinion pre-dates rct3 in terms of everything. it just sucks.

i reserve placing 'judgment' pending mattlab's comments 'early this week', but in short, he's got some 'splainin to do.

I agree with you on the video part but I think the screenshots look a lot better than RCT3

tycoon
03-09-2015, 03:11 AM
I agree with you on the video part but I think the screenshots look a lot better than RCT3

don't get me wrong i definitely agree that the screenshots look a lot better than rct3... but as i stated it they look 'slightly better' - in terms of they're still based on the same premise, but just an improvement on the same - better processing, better computers, etc. but the basics are still the same. plop a newly updated stand with a newly updated path with some newly updated trees and it's not much different than what RCT3 *could* be capable of... look at some of the community's custom scenery type parks and really it's not much different, except perhaps some photoshop type effects, which i'm now inclined to agree were employed to the screen shots just like they were to the goliath POV footage which is the most prominent aspect in the two trailers for RCTW to date :)

i believe we agree in principal.