PDA

View Full Version : How not to release a game

dwwilkin
02-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Focus Interactive just today releases Cities XXL an addition to their Cities Franchise following Cities XL.

I bring this up because it is a builder and many who like RCTs Franchise may have a Cities game.

So for the last few weeks we have gotten a few trailers. No pre-release for honest game play discussion. No reviews by independents.

And, in a few hours it has been purchased by several hundred at Steam (they offered half off for those with a game already from the franshise)

In those first few hours, 239 negative reviews. The same game was releases with a very few tweaks. Interface color tweak. Gamers are saying it is 99% the same, and actually more of a complete builder instead of a bootstrap build your city from scratch that the series has always been.

We can learn a little from this fiasco. It will be hard to recover from 239 negative reviews so quickly if we went down the same path.

:confused:

rhcoaster
02-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Wow...That was bad as Simcity 2013. :p

Hopefully this game won't be that disastrous.

Also, I just discovered a new city game called Cities: Skylines (http://www.citiesskylines.com/). It's looking to be a pretty good game.

Plus, their dev blogs are detailed (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802639-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-1-Roads). Atari should copy this format and not use all of these "amazing" marketing terms.

dwwilkin
02-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Paradox has a big hand in Cities Skylines which backs them up with a giant forum board that the devblogs are posted to regularly, with screen shots, twitch videos, Paradox promoted one of their games each day.

RedBlueLaw
02-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Never played Cities, is it any good?

(I still fire up SC4 from time to time)

landmers
02-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Never played Cities, is it any good?

(I still fire up SC4 from time to time)

It's okay. It's like if SC4 is a living, breathing city, and Cities is just a beautiful picture. It looks nice, but there's just something missing. A hot zombie chick: Pretty to look at, but dead behind the eyes.

RedBlueLaw
02-06-2015, 12:34 AM
It's okay. It's like if SC4 is a living, breathing city, and Cities is just a beautiful picture. It looks nice, but there's just something missing. A hot zombie chick: Pretty to look at, but dead behind the eyes.

Good reference haha.

SC4 is still one of favorite games of all time. I spent hours on end as a kid throwing crap together. I only had 2 or 3 cities that eclipsed 50K sims, but I had my fun with it!

RCTW1
02-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Cities graphics are very nice, even screen wallpaper worthy, but their "new" games are just add-ons.

dwwilkin
02-06-2015, 11:22 AM
You know, the idea of this thread was to point out how Focus just blew their release without information to the community, trying to get pre sales with a half off campaign and then getting a 5+:1 ratio of bad reviews, effectively killing the program at launch.

Not to discuss Cities XL, or how it compares to SimCity, or that there is Skyline coming. Though Paradox the Company releasing Skyline does excellent work in engaging the community long before a game is available for sale. Paradox puts hours of game play footage up. Devs come forward to describe each feature in depth with video interviews, and follow up with a post that spells out how, What we would think of Peep Psych, works for they talk of their formulas to aid the complex issues of gameplay in their simulations.

Hint, an opportunity to talk about the way Focus released and what results they get from it, not a thread to talk about Cities Franchise. Please someone go start that in General Chat and I will join you there for Cities Gameplay.

RedBlueLaw
02-06-2015, 02:46 PM
You know, the idea of this thread was to point out how Focus just blew their release without information to the community, trying to get pre sales with a half off campaign and then getting a 5+:1 ratio of bad reviews, effectively killing the program at launch.

Not to discuss Cities XL, or how it compares to SimCity, or that there is Skyline coming. Though Paradox the Company releasing Skyline does excellent work in engaging the community long before a game is available for sale. Paradox puts hours of game play footage up. Devs come forward to describe each feature in depth with video interviews, and follow up with a post that spells out how, What we would think of Peep Psych, works for they talk of their formulas to aid the complex issues of gameplay in their simulations.

Hint, an opportunity to talk about the way Focus released and what results they get from it, not a thread to talk about Cities Franchise. Please someone go start that in General Chat and I will join you there for Cities Gameplay.

Didn't mean to derail the thread!

intoxination
02-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Cities XL franchise is still alive? Had the original, but gave up on it.

Bad releases to software are so hard to turn around. You can fix everything and make the program 20x better than originally envisioned/advertised, but once those negative reviews are stacked up, you got a lot of digging to get out of that hole.