PDA

View Full Version : The one complaint I have against RC2 and RC3

Faithalor
02-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Maps.

I, like almost everyone else, played countless hours of RCT1, RCT2, had all of the theme packs, and cannot express how much I enjoyed the game. With that said, there was always still one major problem: even with all of the theme packs, I found myself playing the same few maps over and over again. I think there were only 3 maps I enjoyed playing, and that number is a combined total from RCT1 and RCT2. Once RCT3 came out I was more pumped than ever, but my hopes were quickly crushed. I may have played RCT3 for about 2 weeks before never touching it again, due to maps that did not appeal to me. Majority of my time in RCT3 (if I remember correctly) was played on plain custom maps, just like I ended up doing in RCT2.

As a RCT enthusiast, I really hope to see quality maps put into RCTW, not just plain, empty, boring maps with a few hills and trees. Please create Mount Yosemite or the Grand Canyon, or something interesting other than flatland with a few hills and trees and a random body of water. How about a map on the moon? How about a city in the sky with a theme park built in a sky-stadium? How about a beach with water that extends to further than you can see? Or a map with a volcano nearby that erupts after 50 years and wipes out the park? Putting an end to the squared off maps would be a huge improvement as well.

I'm really just looking for some real imagination put into the maps. I love beautiful real-world nature environments & also fantasy (like a theme park in a space ship. What if aliens came to earth and abducted us to test out their theme park??... "imagination")
I hope my voice is heard.

Thanks,
-Faithalor

RCM88x
02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
I completely agree, the strongest point of RCT1 other than the game play and graphics (for the time) was the large amount of maps available that were both fun to play and unique. RCT2 too a noticeable step back in this and RCT scenarios were a complete joke. However, this is due to a difference in philosophy more than anything, which was a result of the influence Chris Sawyer had on the game itself.

He was always against hacks and cheats in RCT1, because he wanted it to be a game, with objectives and levels of difficulty. This is why he made efforts against hacking in RCTDeluxe and there was a lack of a sandbox mode.

The success of the game lead to more and more people trying to get their hands on the product and as a result an effort to increase the appeal and market, hence the addition of a "sandbox" mode and a embrace of hacking in RCT2. The game became less about the "game" and objectives persay and more about creating and building from scratch. This is why RCT2 lacks in the number of scenarios available. RCT3 was a continuation of this philosophy with basically the whole game being the sandbox mode and almost no attention being put into the prebuild maps and scenarios.

Now with that being said, as much as I would love to see 10-15+ quality build scenario maps, I 100% doubt that this will happen, at least with the game upon launch. The main issue is that Atari, like every other publisher, is money hungry and doesn't care about the quality of the game as long as the get a bunch of pre-orders and launch day sales. They couldn't care less if the game is good or playable or worth the launch day price, as long as they make a quick profit to fund the next game, they are happy.

This game will be no different, no different than SimCity, Cod, Battlefield, etc... It will be cheep, flat, poorly made, all in an effort to build hype to make a quick buck. This is why it looks like a cartoon fantasy land, because it needs to appeal to a large, casual audience in order to make this quick buck, mostly because the hardcore audience is too small or too smart to buy the game on launch day no matter what.

With all that being said, the scenarios (if there even are any) that come pre-loaded on the game will disappoint you, why? Because Atari doesn't make money on people being happy with scenarios in a game like this, because they dont make money on people playing the base game for any time at all. If anything they will constantly charge money for DLC with scenarios that are promised to be better, and better, yet are nothing but disappointment after disappointment.

Sorry for being so dark and dim, but that's reality and there is nothing that's going to change that.

BeerWhiskers
02-04-2015, 11:29 AM
What I remember from the pre-launch information for RCT2 was a big push in the community for sandbox mode. From that I think that less effort was put into interesting maps, and I think that carried into RCT3.

The idea for well known settings as maps is great!

So is the volcano idea! How about an RCTW: Natural Disasters expansion? Volcanoes, tornadoes, earthquake, tsunami attack the park.

dwwilkin
02-04-2015, 01:34 PM
I am very much in favor of having enough scenarios as one gets a great bang for their buck, along with replayability!

Future RCT
02-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I completely agree.