PDA

View Full Version : Blog 3 Prep - Coaster Building

BeerWhiskers
02-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Mattlab-

To help you focus on content for Blog #3 (Coaster Building) here are some things to keep in mind:
(edit) If this sounds like an ultimatum, that is not intended. The idea is to spark conversation about what we would like to see, and perhaps don't need to see, when talking about building coasters.

What is Obvious (and probably doesn't need to be said)

Able to build in real-time, while the park is running.
Load and save track designs.
Pre-built track designs for each coaster type will be included.
Able to display ride heights at points along the ride.
Able to build tunnels.
Able to toggle viewing supports.
Supports automatically placed under the track as you build.

What I Speculate

Coaster Building will be a series of track pieces that are malleable splines. This appears to be state of the art now, and is the direction other projects are going. Example of Another editor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?4IPwMDUcAPA)
Coaster Stations will still be bound to 90 degree rotation placing on the ground, but beyond that the track is pretty much free-form and features like loops can be built at any rotation.
Some coasters will have track pieces that are a signature for that type of coaster (like a LIM launch section), but not all track pieces will be available for every coaster type (no loops for a side-friction coaster).
No height, length, or speed restrictions (other than what the game engine will do).

What I Would Like to Know

Including screenshots is a must! - We understand that it is still being developed and that what you show is not complete and most likely to change.
Will track designs for real world coasters be included?
Can individual pieces/sections of track have their own color?
Can individual cars of the coaster train have their own color? In RCT1 I could create a coaster train where the front car was black, followed by red, orange, and yellow cars at the back. I miss being able to do that.
Do the stations have a loading area where peeps can queue up for their preferred seat? I would really like to see this.
Can the supports and/or support bases be repositioned? Instead of the base just being vertically down from the track, can I move the base to appear attached to a cliff-side, or out of the way of a nearby ride?
Can coaster tracks tunnel through water?

Looking forward to the blog!

coaster6
02-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Great post! Well organized, hopefully Mattlab sees this!!:)

Marvin
02-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Mattlab-

To help you focus on content for Blog #3 (Coaster Building) here are some things to keep in mind:

Able to build tunnels.

It'd be nice if we actually did hear something about tunnels since they were pretty bad in RCT3. I don't recall toggle supports being possible without mods.

What I Speculate

Coaster Building will be a series of track pieces that are malleable splines. This appears to be state of the art now, and is the direction other projects are going. Example of Another editor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?=4IPwMDUcAPA)
Coaster Stations will still be bound to 90 degree rotation placing on the ground, but beyond that the track is pretty much free-form and features like loops can be built at any rotation.
Some coasters will have track pieces that are a signature for that type of coaster (like a LIM launch section), but not all track pieces will be available for every coaster type (no loops for a side-friction coaster).
No height, length, or speed restrictions (other than what the game engine will do).

Including screenshots is a must! - We understand that it is still being developed and that what you show is not complete and most likely to change.
Can individual cars of the coaster train have their own color? In RCT1 I could create a coaster train where the front car was black, followed by red, orange, and yellow cars at the back. I miss being able to do that.
Do the stations have a loading area where peeps can queue up for their preferred seat? I would really like to see this.
Can the supports and/or support bases be repositioned? Instead of the base just being vertically down from the track, can I move the base to appear attached to a cliff-side, or out of the way of a nearby ride?

I agree with all of this. I hope we hear more about stations though and if they're easy to build. I'd also say stations should be bound to a 15 degree rotation angle. That gives the most functionality possible (other than free-form of course).

And emphasis on screenshotS. We have gotten zero new screenshots this entire year. It's time for some, and coasters would be the best thing to start showing off.

BeerWhiskers
02-04-2015, 01:42 AM
I'd also say stations should be bound to a 15 degree rotation angle. That gives the most functionality possible (other than free-form of course).

My guess is that the ground will still be tiled like in RCT3, and the paths will still be tied to the tiles, and things like ride structures that have to attach to the paths will be limited to the 90 rotations.

Hopefully though, the Devs have come up with something really cool to get around that limitation.

rhcoaster
02-04-2015, 02:42 AM
Hoping for a better blog post next time. It really shouldn't be that hard but I guess Atari has to continue to mess up.

Absolutely. Otherwise someone else will post it for them.

king_austin95
02-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Mattlab-

Able to build tunnels.

What I Speculate

Coaster Building will be a series of track pieces that are malleable splines. This appears to be state of the art now, and is the direction other projects are going. Example of Another editor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?4IPwMDUcAPA)

OMG!! i would LOVE to be able to tunnel coasters and other track rides through water. that would be so cool! i never even thought of that! they could have a clear tube surrounding the track so you can look through it while you're underwater

SparkyUK
02-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Mattlab-

Able to build tunnels.

What I Speculate

Spot on!

We really need some heavy details now. I get the whole build-suspense thing, but actually the tone on these forums is turning rather negative, so they're risking just p!ssing people off now. Not really a good start.

dwwilkin
02-04-2015, 01:29 PM
I should bet that Matt will see this, but I wouldn't hold my breath that he follows the format to meet an individual or a groups wants for the direction of his blog

When I as an owner of a company worked on a letter that had to be spot on for a variety of people, I would value those that I asked for feedback, but would resent to have my letter still dictated to me by another as if I were still starting out in business. (bosses love to take those letters and then mark them up and tell you go do it again.)

Having seen how this information is being released to us, I sense there is a timetable and an issue of secrecy that is guiding all this.

I would like more screenshots as well, but Matt doesn't need to release them if he has a game plan already devised. We've got plenty to talk about as evidenced that each week the forums are getting more traction.

My sense is that that frustration quotient has gotten rather high. Atari and Matt have certainly heard we all want a great game, yet our community is very much a divided one on what it is they think is the most important thing to make this that great game. So how does a company respond when one person wants great coaster building, another wants great park management as the most important thing.

It is a thankless job. The product will be released and someone is sure to be unhappy with it, thinking that there most important thing will have been done wrong. And then more frustration will be further fostered. In nearly 40 years with computer games, I have been impatient, I have been frustrated, I have been angered personally at the way a game has turned out. How we as gamers have been lied to, and how we have made suggestions and they were ignored.

My not humble opinion is that patience at this time is what is called for. We get what we get when we get it. And when the game comes out, we will buy it. We will enjoy large parts of it, and each of us will be upset, or find disappointing some small that we will learn to live with. Bugs are the only think we can hope will be addressed and as we know, still in RCT3 bugs remained once the game was released.

I believe asking for a few pieces of information in the next blog is worthy of a thank you, but firmly demanding that the blog include what you expect is pushing the envelope

BeerWhiskers
02-04-2015, 07:24 PM
...but would resent to have my letter still dictated to me by another...
You have a very valid point. Even after many edits, I was concerned that the post would sound too much like an ultimatum, and that is not intended.

I agree also that Mattlab is doing thankless work here in the forums. Worse yet, he faces a no-win situation potentially every time he makes a post. I do not expect him to address any of the points that I (or any of us) mention.

...I sense there is a timetable and an issue of secrecy that is guiding all this...
I would wager that there are still some legal issues being worked out as well. There are probably staff issues too -in that a new team has to come up to speed with the code from a previous team. Say the wrong thing in the forums, and someone else may out-develop a feature you mentioned.

...patience at this time is what is called for...
-which I freely admit I have trouble with. My course of action was to say what I would like to know, what is already obvious for any editor, and speculate about what he might say. The speculation was the only intentionally devious thing. The thought was that if we were already talking about some potential lightning, then it might push Mattlab to let loose some thunder.

dwwilkin
02-04-2015, 09:14 PM
The speculation was the only intentionally devious thing. The thought was that if we were already talking about some potential lightning, then it might push Mattlab to let loose some thunder.

That had me giggling.

jsqualls14
02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
My guess is that the ground will still be tiled like in RCT3, and the paths will still be tied to the tiles, and things like ride structures that have to attach to the paths will be limited to the 90 rotations.

Hopefully though, the Devs have come up with something really cool to get around that limitation.

Not necessarily...they said it is a 3D editor. While RCT3 was sort of, I think it'll be more of a NL2 editor where objects aren't bound to 90 degree rotations. Even if this is true, we may just get 90 and 120 turns with diagonal paths or something. Hopefully :)

BeerWhiskers
02-05-2015, 11:45 PM
The state of the art for coaster editors seems to be along the lines of NL2 and TPS - so something pretty much free-form with the general parts of the track.

I'm thinking that the paths for the peeps will still be tied to tiles that make up the ground, and that they would be limited to 90 degree turns like in RCT3. Therefore it would be likely that anything like a station that links the gap between the ride track and the paths would be limited the same way.

I would like to see more pathing options too - perhaps in a later blog...

Thompso
02-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Are we getting Blog 3 tonight ?

Marvin
02-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Are we getting Blog 3 tonight ?

Mattlab said it was coming this week, so most likely.

RCTW1
02-06-2015, 08:48 PM
No Blog 3 yet. I don't mind the game being delayed, but lack of info, including screenshots and video, makes me very sad. :(