PDA

View Full Version : Immersion or Realism?

0BobTheJanitor
02-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I hear a lot of people sharing they want realism in this game, however, to me, immersion is much more important. Discuss which of the two you value most.

JMR
02-01-2015, 10:28 AM
I don't really think separating them out like that really works.

To me, having a balance of both is important.

king_austin95
02-01-2015, 10:47 AM
i honestly don't care to much about realism. its fine by me if its cartoony. games are supposed to be fun and sometimes unrealistic. some of the realistic ideas i like though, don't bet me wrong. but some are stupid to me like having a crane appear when i'm building something, heck no. i don't need something like that to enjoy the game.

Wabigbear
02-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm more into park building rather than coaster building, so immersion probably ranks higher. Not that I don't appreciate realism.

ColossusInferno
02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Realism - Supports and catwalks
- Que-Lines, large amount of peeps queuing and fast track/front seat
- More park guests
- Rides get older, need to polish them up after some time
- parking lot and ticket gates for entrances
- CURVED PATHS!!!!!
- resteraunts that have been announced but need to be able to build them from the ground up with also choosing what food and prices it has
-Hotels

Immersion - Be a peep walking around
- Cool objectives and tasks to do during campaign
- Cheat codes to add to the fun of the game
- occasional mini-games
- rollercoasters being easy and accessable to make in contrast to no limits

RCM88x
02-01-2015, 03:24 PM
If there are Mini games in RCTW I will lose all hope, if I want to play minigames, I will go to a website with flash games, not a AAA title that cost me 60$ or more.

I could care less if I could walk around the park, or ride the rides even... There are other games that I can make and ride roller coasters in, dedicating time and effort into that will just detract away from the main game.

dwwilkin
02-01-2015, 03:38 PM
RCM is on the money. Thrillville showed that mini-games is not what we want in an amusement park, theme park simulation. If you want the ring toss game to crop up, it should be faxed. You in first person go up to the stall, spend a few second there, and your peep interacts with the stall passively, not actively so you don't have to do a skill based task for those who don't have hand eye coordination.

Then with 1st person objectives, NO The objectives we had in RCT 3 were optional to your own development of the Park scenario. IF a ride broke down and you hadn't hired a mechanic, it was optional whether you wanted to hire one to fix the ride. You were not stopped from the next thing to do because you hadn't completed the last.

In scenarios if the objective was an excitement ride of 4.0 to go to entrepreneur, you could do that right away or build 20 thrill rides before getting to it. So no 1st person tasks. If we follow on from RCT3 scenarios with their objectives, those are hours enough spent, and the first person request from the community has so far been mixed. Some wishing to play it, some feeling a coastercam experience is fine, and some having no wish to play it.

RCTW1
02-01-2015, 06:19 PM
I like both. But even though I like realism, I'm not asking for ultra-realism. Heck, RCT is realism in itself, as opposed to WOW, in which I can't relate to.

dwwilkin
02-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Now there is an idea. The Peep creator, and when we have a Fantasy/Medieval expansion, we can create Gnomes, Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Trolls to be Peep Races who visit the park! :)

Sangheili
02-02-2015, 02:45 AM
RCT3 seems balanced so far, I played Thrillville also which would be copying off the game if you want to drive go carts. I don't want to see the game where you don't need chains to go up the lift hill & launching coasters in mid air to the other track piece, unless that was really possible and not dangerous. but also i don't want to see the game go ultra-realism where you need to pay for electricity and water bills. mini-games seem more like a persons opinion so like to play mini games and others don't. heck there was a mini game in LFD2 at the carnival

jey224
02-02-2015, 06:49 AM
I think that interaction with the park adds another dimension to the park. Though it should not be the main focus, as the goal of this game is to manage a park as succesful as possible. Realism is a good feature to have in the park, because of the creative aspect of the game. If both were optimized it would be amazing, but I rather have realistic cuelines and supports over being able to shoot in a shootingrange.

I still would love to see something like having your own character and walking around in your park and other peoples park.

BeerWhiskers
02-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I don't understand how this is an either/or choice. The real traps here are that the terms 'Immersion' and 'Realism' can be interpreted too many different ways, and that Immersion and Realism are dependent on each other.

Do you mean immersion as a park builder/manager or as a park visitor? What is considered immersive would be different in each context.
Do you mean realism in that the graphics are not cartoon-like? That the physics of the rides should be accurate?

In RCT3 when I go into Peep POV mode, the camera is actually some distance over the peeps head- like about 8 foot off the ground -that breaks the immersion for me. Also the alert sounds of messages coming in from the interface breaks the immersion (I'm watching, not managing).

Also in RCT3 the shoot-the-escaped-animal first-person mini-game is unlike any other thing in the game. Not only does that break the immersion of being a park manager, it breaks the 'fourth wall' of the game.

Something too realistic isn't fun either, so in some cases I would like the realism to be broke, or at least bent. I think a bit of leeway with friction is nice- RCT3 seems to do well here -the point being that precisely accurate friction simulation could be too limiting. Same thing for how sensitive the peeps are to g-forces- I would prefer a little leeway here as well. Optimally, let me control things like this in the setup of the scenario. Maybe I want to build a park on the moon.

A game-space that is consistent in its realism is immersive, and a consistent immersion builds realism. They are not exclusive.

Pony Clark
02-03-2015, 03:03 PM
I personally think that I'd like the game to be realistic in building aspects. Realistic looking coasters and stalls.
However (!) I want to have the cartoonish look as well and I'd like to have the focus especially in scenery on the cartoonish part. Again, I do hope so that we'll have to option to create CSOs again, because then, the community will add the realism

RCTW1
02-03-2015, 07:03 PM
RCTW looks fine to me so far. As far as realism goes, I would like smarter AI. Of course some people complain that some oeeps won't ride certain rides. That's pretty realistic to me. It would be bad if all peeps followed others, and not have a mind of their own.