PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog Post #2

Pages : [1] 2

Mattlab
01-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Discussion on this latest production blog on RollerCoaster Tycoon World (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-post-2/)

Dear RCTW Fans,

Hello RollerCoaster Tycoons! As many of you know from my last post, I’m Mattlab, Atari’s Executive Producer on RollerCoaster Tycoon World. Two weeks have gone by, lots of progress has been made on the game, our marketing efforts are ramping up, and it’s time for another production blog post!

As promised, today we’ll be talking about the second of our four main foundations for the RCT franchise: Building. But before I get into the many great things you can build, how you can place them, and tease other amazing innovations we have been able to implement in RCTW, I wanted to take a second to talk to our fantastic supporters from our forums (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/). It has been an absolute pleasure interacting with you, and I, along with the entire RCTW team, hope to make more time to chat. Not only will we make sure to continue posting on the forums, but together with our community team we plan to have live stream sessions where fans will be able to interact with the team in real time! We’ll have more on that later.

Additionally, I do want to say that our design team is in the forums every day. They spend a considerable amount of time reading your suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately, though, as they are super busy making the game, they often can’t respond to each suggestion, but please be assured that they are there reading your thoughts, and tweaking the game based on what they see. We are making the game the community wants, and we are committed to delivering the REAL RollerCoaster Tycoon experience.

Now onto the main event…

The Second Foundation of the Franchise: Building

The Building foundation makes up one of the most complex pieces of the game, so we want to make sure we get it right. Not only do we want to provide new features, we want to make sure that the ones from previous versions of the game are vastly improved and updated.
It all starts with the huge variety of park elements that you can build. There is more to choose from than ever before. In fact, each time I play the game I discover a new ride, scenery object, or coaster type that I did not see last time I played! Not only is there a great variety of objects, we have also added new elements that did not exist before.

With our first new element, restaurants, your peeps now have a place to sit down if they need to relax and enjoy a nice meal. This provides an entire new feature to the simulation of the game and creates an interesting new dynamic, for you as a builder, to consider. Do you want your peeps to simply grab a quick cheap bite to eat at a foodstand or is this the right place to build an expensive restaurant. We have made sure to really do this feature justice and create a number of new restaurants for you to build.

Attractions on the other hand, another new element, are the opposite of a calm, relaxing environment. Once your peeps are done dining they can wander over to this new ride type. Attractions are what we commonly refer to as “indoor rides”. We know that previous games had haunted houses and other indoor-themed rides, but we feel so excited about the attractions we’re building in RCTW that we wanted to make this its own category. Now your peeps can enjoy a game of lazer tag or any number of other exciting diversions! Its an entire new category of ride and we can’t wait to share the list of them in future updates.

In addition to having more building options, we are also making sure that all of our in game objects fall into one of four unified themes: Western, Space, Americana, and Pirate. This way you have more than enough things in each theme to build parks that truly look unique and exhilarating! Your peeps can visit a pirate-filled treasure island or perhaps have a cowboy adventure in the Wild West. Whether you build an entire single themed park or mix and match, your peeps will never want to leave! Each theme is completely thought through from start to finish providing a full experience for your peeps.

But its not all about the peeps – the builder, namely you, matter too! So the rides, objects, and coasters in the game are more detailed than ever before. Of course, everything is hi-res and we’ve packed objects and rides with tons of animations to give your creations a real authentic feel. We have taken full advantage of today’s next-gen technology to make sure that the game is more detailed than ever before. I don’t want to spoil the surprise but its amazing to see how things come to life from the moment you place down your first ride to the time a peep gets on and rides it. Additionally, the new scenery animatronics we have in the game add an immersive and beautiful element that your peeps will enjoy as they plan their next park adventure. The attention to and level of detail in RCTW’s art and animations is unprecedented in the history of the franchise.

The tool used to build everything is easy and powerful as well. Placing and rotating buildings could not be simpler. Easily find exactly the theme and type of object you want to build and plop it down in your park. Paths are simply painted on, lowering the number of clicks required, and everything works seamlessly together with our immersive camera to allow you to be fully in-control of what you are making. Don’t like what you just built? Then move it without needing to bulldoze it! It’s just that easy.

So, we have a ton of new rides, a variety of new park elements, and they all look beautiful. But it wouldn’t be RollerCoaster Tycoon without… Coasters! And luckily, RCTW is jam-packed with new coasters to build! The coaster system is in fact so detailed and has so many new surprises that we feel it deserves its own post and so it will be the focus of part two of the Building foundation dev blog – see ‘next time’ below.

Next Time:

Our next post will focus on coasters – something a lot of our fans have asked about in our forums. We have so much information to share and questions to answer that we felt it needs its own blog post. Additionally, we plan to use that post to announce some exciting developments regarding the grid as its related to coasters that we know fans are going to love. We strongly feel, with the innovations we have made to the coaster and building system, that if you can dream it then you will be able to build it in RollerCoaster Tycoon World!

But Wait, There’s More:

Instead of a screenshot this week, I am happy to take this opportunity to show off one of the pieces of wonderful key art we made to help inspire us all for RCTW. This was partially created using actual scenery and ride models from RollerCoaster Tycoon World and shows off some of the amazing things you will get to build in the game. We love it and are excited to finally be able to share it! Enjoy!

http://0f263a1aeaecc2c7e55c-d6d1e91833d4a5aea80657854029c137.r39.cf2.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Key-Art-Daytime-1100x660.png?9de0faKey Art from RollerCoaster Tycoon World.

Best,
Mattlab
Executive Producer – Atari
Team RCTW

Marvin
01-30-2015, 10:42 PM
OMG! Finally! :D

0BobTheJanitor
01-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Inb4 rage over no screenshots. (I expected more negativity, but it seems everyone is handling this log maturely :p)

Although this was still a bit vague, I look forward to the next post. Please don't make attractions rabbit-holes, not allowing us to go inside. Plus, that concept art is gorgeously detailed.

Mattlab
01-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Inb4 rage over no screenshots.

Next time! This post was about building and inspiration so we wanted to show off key art we made using actual models from the game that we use to inspire us each day!

Marvin
01-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Next time! This post was about building and inspiration so we wanted to show off key art we made using actual models from the game that we use to inspire us each day!

So that giga coaster can actually be made in the game, with those supports and railings?

That picture is amazing btw.

Indiglow
01-30-2015, 10:48 PM
OK sounds promising....but we definitely gotta wait until we get more info/screens before we can even dissect what was said.

Mattlab
01-30-2015, 10:49 PM
So that giga coaster can actually be made in the game, with those supports and railings?

That picture is amazing btw.

Thanks! We love it too! It really gets you pumped for the game and inspires us to work hard each day.

Aqua-Chan
01-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I Swear to god if the supports for coasters don't look like that!!! No just kidding, but everything looks really nice.

Mattlab
01-30-2015, 10:54 PM
I Swear to god if the supports for coasters don't look like that!!! No just kidding, but everything looks really nice.

Keep in mind it is key art :) but it is our inspiration and, as I mentioned, it does in fact use some models from the game as its base. Art like this is made by the team to guide and inspire them and give them something to work off of when creating the actual in-game assets and objects.

ProphetLord420
01-30-2015, 10:56 PM
I hope the game comes close to being able to create that, OMG nice artwork I could look at that for a good hour. Nothing about walls and stuff like that?

Indiglow
01-30-2015, 10:57 PM
I think it's safe to say those will not be the peeps lol :cool:

I'd like more info on the restaurants and how those work....

Do the peeps just go in and purchase from it much like a stand, or do they actually sit down for some time? Do you have control over the meals/prices?

Liam.
01-30-2015, 10:58 PM
I would love to act like I peed my pants in excitement but at this point I'll be old enough it'll happen on purpose the rate you're divulging "information".

0BobTheJanitor
01-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Is there a chance you can reveal information about custom building that was in the last game?

Indiglow
01-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Also, I hope we aren't just limiting it to 4 themes for the entire thing.

I realize there will be 4 to start, but we really need to make sure people can add in other themes. 4 themes is really just the tip of the iceberg. We want spooky, jungle, dinosaurs, etc for future themes as well =)

ProphetLord420
01-30-2015, 11:02 PM
I would love to act like I peed my pants in excitement but at this point I'll be old enough it'll happen on purpose the rate you're divulging "information".

I agree more info, you can still give info and be vague, Matt you should check out Paradox and how they do the devlogs. Short but concise and satisfying. But it is early (I hope) so screens may be a tall order. You have to think from their end, they don't want bad looking screens floating around out there on the net. If someone comes across it hey won't click it to find out more.

Marvin
01-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Looking at the key art, I hope there are babies in strollers and some people with backpacks as well. Never even thought of it, but it adds a lot of realism to the game.

sanctus
01-30-2015, 11:07 PM
the picture is stunning, I hope roller coasters have realistic supports like those, it's so goodlooking :D

PixelPlayer
01-30-2015, 11:09 PM
I really don't want to be a negative Timmy here (i do appreciate the information of course) but i still have to say it:

A wall of text, really? - No video with a voice over? No screen shots ? Come on, this isn't 1999, use multi-media tools. A wall of text is not really the way to go here. And certainly not "share-able" on FB or game websites like IGN / Game Spot, and youtube gaming channels can't use it to talk about it, or live discussions on twitch. This is your golden chance to hype the game for free and its being wasted!

You even admit to deliberately opt away from screenshots over a key art piece - why? You must of known we wanted to see the game over a art piece.

Whilst i'm glad we at least get information at all, given we have to press Atari for it, its not quite right how this is being delivered either.

@Mattlab - I can happily PM you with a list of ways to engage the community that i think will benefit this game. I don't know who calls the shots on the information given out and how its given out, but they haven't been in the gaming industry for long or they haven't adapted to the new ways in which companies engage the fans.

The problem with words is it can be worded to sound amazing, but proof is in the pudding. Without images and video media it could all just be marketing words and no substance, and like a lot games, sound great until we see youtube let's plays and it turns out to be dire. So if you have no confidence in showing us the game, people won't have confidence in buying it either. What are you hiding from us ? If nothing, then why have we little to see.

I really don't get it. Anyway if you want some of my ideas i can PM you. Let me know.

Xenocorpse
01-30-2015, 11:10 PM
The information is so nice to hear and that key art is pretty inspiring to see what we might expect things to look like. Again, I suggest announcing schedules to us so we know when the next blog about coasters will go up! I'm guessing that it will be another two weeks?

garretslarrity
01-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Out of that whole post, the part that jumped out at me the most was "our marketing efforts are ramping up". I am curious to see what comes of that.

king_austin95
01-31-2015, 12:00 AM
i like the part where he said there's more coaster types than ever before! ^_^
i hope the coaster cars have a lot of cool themes to choose from. even more than rct3 did.

mb1.0.2
01-31-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm now curious as to whether or not you, Mattlab, are actually in control at all of what you get to share with us. Certainly you cannot be responsible for the brunt of negativity that will stream your way. Someone HAS to be telling you to hold back on the information...don't show us much...keep us guessing and all that...because I certainly can't imagine someone who is in charge of keeping the fan base that has been keeping these forums active keeping everything so incredibly vague.

I can only assume there is very little, if any, game right now. That's why no one can be specific. That picture is cute, but it doesn't actually tell us what the GAME will be like. It just tells me what you all look at when you think about RCTW. It helps you work hard every day...really? Ugh...I need more information than that to get behind this title. If it really is because Atari is woefully behind schedule, then whoever is feeding you the information to feed to us should just man up and tell it like it is. We can handle it...really.

I'd love to be excited about this dev blog. Really...I would. Restaurants are awesome and necessary, yes...but in your 'building' blog, you negated to say ANYTHING about custom-built structures? Do they simply not exist? Do we plop full-blown structures? If so, then I'm on the 'pass' side of the fence when it comes to purchasing this title. I love theme parks and I love making them my own with my own ideas and my own structures. If I don't get to build my own structures, if I can only rely on what Atari and Area 52 gives me, then thanks but no, I have a more superior product in my game library already: RCT3...and it came out a decade ago.

So, I'm sorry I'm such a jerk but, really...I've been playing RCT since the day it came out (the first one, btw, RCT1). This is the MOST beloved game I've ever played. It's the only game to withstand the test of time, the only one I've become a member of an online community for, the only one I play with purpose as a creative hobby and outlet...and each time you "leak" non-information, I just get more and more discouraged. I'll go and turn towards one of those "other" not-to-be-named theme park titles, because at least they're giving me enough information for me to make an informed decision. And they supposedly come out WAY after this title is supposed to drop.

Thompso
01-31-2015, 12:36 AM
I like how sit in restaurants are a new addition to RCTWORLD. Guest will get tired less and restore energy to ride more rides before leaving the park. I'm also glad the grab and go stalls are sill in the game as well. The art picture looks sweet. Would prefer an in game screenshot next time.

I'm getting exited again :)

Mattlab, after the 3rd blog about the coaster can your 4th blog be about peeps, and how they have improved from RC3? Thank you! Love this blog.

Riddly
01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
I have to agree with mb102. This post and the lack of news that came with it is more concerning than exciting. What did you tell us that we didn't already know? We can build objects, coasters and rides? WOW really!?

Restaurants are a fantastic addition - but that might be the only surprising tidbit to some readers but I think many if not most people who will read your post already knew those would be in the game.

If you claim to listen to the fans, please hear this. If you want a successful sequel, you must include ALL aspects people loved in the originals and ADD to or improve upon them. Restaurants are an improvement, moving rides without bulldozing is an improvement - so good job there (see I'm not all negative).

However limiting all buildable items to 4 themes is not an improvement and forcing everyone into 4 themes does not "truly look unique and exhilarating!". You guys don't want to be compared to the Sim City fiasco. They had what...4-5 themes (city specializations) for their players too.

king_austin95
01-31-2015, 01:04 AM
he said there were lots of different coaster types whichi i'm happy to hear and is good news to me

jackk
01-31-2015, 04:45 AM
I have been checking for this game every few weeks since I seen the "Hype" video on Youtube, in which that lead me here. I can already tell by these blogs the game isn't going to be much better than RCT3. The way he talks about things and the lack of information he is giving people who want a decent game is concerning. I also don't understand the point of that blog, it sounds written to shut everyone up here, because that blog doesn't say anything that wasn't expected or speculated already.

Hopefully next time the team here will actually post something interesting with real updates, its not like there are thousands of people reading here, its just a SMALL group of people who love the game to bits & are wanting to help develop a good game with great suggestions yet "Mattlab" or whatever gives them updates like this? Just WHAT? Seriously please consider your blogs next time.

No offense of course :)

Angel
01-31-2015, 06:23 AM
I have mixed feelings about this dev blog. Again, lots of words are used to say very little. More than in the previous dev blog, but still. And I have to agree with those who are, like me, dying to see some snapshots of the actual game and preferably a video with a game play demo. The fact that we still haven't seen anything real makes one suspect that there is nothing there to show us yet. As if the entire game has yet to be developed from scatch. Mattlab, if you're serious about the things you say you have seen in this game, then SHOW US!!!

As for the things mentioned in this dev blog:

I like the addition of restaurants, that's really nice.

What disappoints me big time though, is the limited choice of themes. RCT3 has lots of themes, and very nice ones too. None of the 4 themes you intend to include now appeal to me. I suppose I could live with Western and Pirate, but the other 2 I don't care for at all. I really really really really - did I say really? - hope you'll add more themes to RCTW, like Tropical, Dinosaurs, Eastern, etc.

Wabigbear
01-31-2015, 07:14 AM
I'm still waiting to read something about SCENERY – seeing as how "important it is now in the game" as pointed out in the FIRST blog post and then totally ignored.

This weeks blog adds little. The most asked questions from those here are still ignored, and only vague statements made. Is anyone there aware that we had laser tag in the LAST GAME??? Labeling it and similar rides differently as 'attractions' isn't quite as new and exciting as it seems you would like us to think it is... LOL!

The key art is nice. Reminds me of the key art used for the RCT3 cover graphics - looked great but had little to do with how the game ACTUALLY looked once it came out. And it's okay to show us more than one single image at a time, really, it is! We can handle it.

This blog is no doubt meant to 'tease' everyone, but so far it seems to more irritant than tease. In my opinion a lot of build up for a blog post that doesn't deliver much, yet once again.

I sincerely hope the actual game doesn't follow that same pattern.

Sam223
01-31-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm still waiting to read something about SCENERY – seeing as how "important it is now in the game" as pointed out in the FIRST blog post and then totally ignored.

This weeks blog adds little. The most asked questions from those here are still ignored, and only vague statements made. Is anyone there aware that we had laser tag in the LAST GAME??? Labeling it and similar rides differently as 'attractions' isn't quite as new and exciting as it seems you would like us to think it is... LOL!

The key art is nice. Reminds me of the key art used for the RCT3 cover graphics - looked great but had little to do with how the game ACTUALLY looked once it came out. And it's okay to show us more than one single image at a time, really, it is! We can handle it.

This blog is no doubt meant to 'tease' everyone, but so far it seems to more irritant than tease. In my opinion a lot of build up for a blog post that doesn't deliver much, yet once again.

I sincerely hope the actual game doesn't follow that same pattern.

+1. Same with restaurants. You could build them in all previous rct games with a bit of creative playing i.e placing a bunch of different food outlets in close proximity, and then making a separate seating area nearby. Or building the restaurant building however you wanted with the afore mentioned items inside the building.

http://www.nedesigns.com/park/580/map/37/lenox-mall/

Creative freedom is why i played RCT for such a long time and why other similar titles like theme park/themepark world I played for a short time and then went back to RCT.

Fuzzfinger
01-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Thanks Matt, I appreciate the update.

I understand it's just a concept graphic at the end of the day, but please, I hope it means we can expect more realistic rollercoaster supports, but also the metal gantries and steps you have on real lift hills also.

Also, will Attractions (in-door rides) be customisable and what level of interaction can we have with them?

Of course, the restaurant feature had been announced back when Pipeworks were in charge of development, but after that screenshot of the ride-looking restaurant a few weeks back it had been rumoured this feature was scrapped, so nice to see it wasn't.

I look forward to learning about the game's coaster editor next time. I'll be looking forward to discovering how it will be a more powerful tool that what has been included in the previous games in order to satisfy the 'realism' players, without it being as complicated as say No-Limits which wouldn't be good for a general audience.

Thanks for the update!

Fuzz

AaronTuckwell
01-31-2015, 10:05 AM
I notice that there is no mention of wall and building elements that create the amazing array of custom buildings that was in the first 3 games... I'm worried that this is going to be a "plop what we give you" game rather than the previous games that allowed you to create some detailed and intricate custom buildings / ride stations etc. Without that element, you just have a modern day, prettier looking, more expensive to develop version of Theme Park off of the 90's... And with that a recipe for instant failure and community desertion. Some-one's already mentioned it, don't do a Maxis on us and hype up a 4th rate product that will just disappoint....

coaster6
01-31-2015, 10:52 AM
My heart is racing after that picture. If you can honestly pull that off.. This could be special, very special

CaptainJelle
01-31-2015, 11:20 AM
Dear Matt ty for your blog and efforts regarding this game.

I see the Entrance in the key art picture you gave us. I wonder if this object can be modifed by us? for example remove the pillars so i can make it part of a coaster, that runs threw/underneath it. Maybe its not possible cause its 1-piece, but are individual parts such as pilars still traceable in game? Cause i would love to build my own eating area, constructed out of the entrance in the key art picture. Would love to do that in the Building Designer like in rct3 under Tools. I'd always constructed something in there and saved it, so i could load it in my sandbox to place them anywhere i liked.

I know you guys are doing everything you can and ill be happy with the 4 theme's you provide us. Hopefully the community can provide other themed scenery such as spooky and winter when the game comes out i surely hope this is possible?!

And Matt im confused cause yesterday when i went to bed i checked the forum and saw you online and checked your last post. I saw you posting a messages saying you were in the process posting your 2nd blog i was so exited. And that you had problems choosing screenshots cause they were all so beautifull with sunlight and all?! But i cant find that post anymore and there are no screenshots sadly... It could be i was dreaming this all?!

TY all those who read my message and i dont demand an anwser i still like a good suprise when the game comes out. I like reading Matts posts and they give me a positive feeling. Looking forward for the next Develeper post!

EmSay
01-31-2015, 11:36 AM
I saw you posting a messages saying you were in the process posting your 2nd blog i was so exited. And that you had problems choosing screenshots cause they were all so beautifull with sunlight and all?! But i cant find that post anymore and there are no screenshots sadly... It could be i was dreaming this all?!

that wasn't a dream

Thundercloud
01-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Rather than focusing on the negatives I'm going to concentrate on the potential positives: With this new 'Attractions' class of ride, are they prefab rides, or do you get to design them yourselves? (eg: design a fiendish lazer tag arena with mirrors everywhere and lots of dead end paths)?

I always get disappointed playing RCT3 that there aren't more rides you can custom design that aren't rollercoasters, this would be an awesome addition to create some truly fun parks!

Frank
01-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Can you change the support of the rides?
I really likes this and i look forward to the next blog

CreamyBeef
01-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Finally. Gotta say I'm actually pleased! But... PLEASE have B&M style tracks, now that it's confirmed that there will be Intamin style ones.

arnaudober
01-31-2015, 01:02 PM
The picture seems awesome! A really nice 3D, with cartoon effect! I love it, and I hope game will be in this graphic, and not just this image...

Marvin
01-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Finally. Gotta say I'm actually pleased! But... PLEASE have B&M style tracks, now that it's confirmed that there will be Intamin style ones.

I doubt they would leave the biggest company out. Besides, B&Ms were in RCT3. They have to have them.

dragonfire
01-31-2015, 01:03 PM
I am cautiously optimistic that this will be a great game. I appreciate the information given, but would love to see actual screenshots and even gameplay. It seems strange to me that for a game scheduled for release in Early 2015 very little info is available.

Destructor RPH
01-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Can we get that key art in 1920x1080p so i can use it as a wallpaper?

abc2ve
01-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Nice update. I wish they would give a better approximation to when to expect this game to be released.

Sangheili
01-31-2015, 02:33 PM
I am cautiously optimistic that this will be a great game. I appreciate the information given, but would love to see actual screenshots and even gameplay. It seems strange to me that for a game scheduled for release in Early 2015 very little info is available.

For some reason I thinks it better to not tell us because of what happened to last year game releases like assassin's creed and MC collection.

JMR
01-31-2015, 02:46 PM
I am thrilled to finally see another blog article. I would like to thank you for the effort that is going into this game. It is indeed comforting to know that you are reading these forums.

We are now a month in. For it to be an "early" 2015 launch, I presume it will be released during the next 3 months? With no in-game screenshots yet, it is hard to verify whether or no an "early" 2015 launch is still plausible.

I have to say, I do like that key art, but sadly it is not an in-game screenshot. It would of been nice to see some actual game progress, but I understand that you probably want to finalize a lot of things before it goes public in screenshot form.

I'm wonder if there will be custom scenery support in RCTW. As this was a "building" blog article, I would of thought it would be mentioned in there if it was planned. It is also something that the suggestions board on this forum has showed great interest in.

So I have two questions:

(1) Will there still be an "early" 2015 launch?
(2) Will there be support for custom scenery?

Keep up the good work, I look forward to the next article.

WHaT4D
01-31-2015, 03:15 PM
Like many, I am super excited to see another blog post as the impression I got from this forum was that the game was dead!

I would say its a fair bet that we wont see an "early 2015" release and I for one and fine with that. We don't need this to be rushed and turn into another sim city launch so please take your time and get it right!!

I do worry that 4 themes feels a bit light but its difficult to know exactly what a theme includes... Hopefully 4 is enough to build really unique parks every time.

Keep up the good work guys... Ill be patiently waiting :)

JMR
01-31-2015, 03:19 PM
I would say its a fair bet that we wont see an "early 2015" release and I for one and fine with that. We don't need this to be rushed and turn into another sim city launch so please take your time and get it right!!

I agree, I am willing to wait if it means the game gets the treatment it deserves. This is extremely important to many people. I wouldn't care waiting 5 extra months if it means we get the best ever RCT game.

However, I must say it would just be nice to have an idea of when the launch will be. It is still advertised as an early 2015 launch, so maybe they're just holding a lot of previews back, ready for a boom. Either way, I am still excited.

I do worry that 4 themes feels a bit light but its difficult to know exactly what a theme includes... Hopefully 4 is enough to build really unique parks every time.

I felt the same way. Often in real life parks, you see themed areas (often more than just four) to enhance the experience and escapism.

sam_93
01-31-2015, 03:37 PM
Thank you! Really enjoyed reading this post. :) Very curious about the "indoor attractions" you mentioned, and the concept art looks dreamy.

Some people here need to chill! We only waited 2 weeks between to blog posts, sheesh! Stop being negative and get excited! Before RCTW was announced, I thought we'd never get another game in the series, so this is a dream come true for me. I have 100% confidence in the team behind the game and so far it looks like such a step up from RCT3.

PixelPlayer
01-31-2015, 03:38 PM
My heart is racing after that picture. If you can honestly pull that off.. This could be special, very special

That wasn't the end game graphical goal - that was just a design art - mostly used for inspiration or for advertising or perhaps a cover art of the game in shops. The game will look nothing that image. Nothing to get excited about.

rhcoaster
01-31-2015, 03:44 PM
I found another screenshot. I don't know this was posted before.

Marvin
01-31-2015, 03:48 PM

Where did you find that?

JMR
01-31-2015, 03:53 PM

Thanks for sharing that!

Sesac
01-31-2015, 03:53 PM

mmmmm :confused:

rhcoaster
01-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Also, the logo of Roller Coaster Tycoon World was created on October 2012, the same month Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D was released. I assume then Pipeworks started developing the game around that time.

Harpo
01-31-2015, 03:59 PM
Hello. I'm an old timer. I bought the original RCT when it was brand new, plus the expansion packs when they came out, and the subsequent versions. I'm also a roller coaster enthusiast, having been on (at current count) 811 coasters at 216 parks. I guess you could say I kind of find it to be a fun hobby. So, I'm really excited about the new RCTW, and am looking forward to it.
But, Mattlab, I just have to ask a question. I'm a senior training engineer employed by MathWorks. We make software for engineering and science. Our foundation product is MATLAB. By any chance, did your choice of user name obtain any influence from my company's software?

yorick
01-31-2015, 04:20 PM
are you meaning that the paths are like the waterpark tycoon is? like in the video (skip part of the video to the path painting)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuH1P8iHaBU
I'm so happy if you do this :)

Cam135
01-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the update Matt can't wait to see more keep up the hard work guys!!!

Hanazakari86
01-31-2015, 04:26 PM
-Mattlab
I hope you make sure that we can ride Rollercoaters and other rides.
- making the path easy
Mountains,hills and ponds to be easy made too
I suffer alot making hills and mountains,, simplify the terrain tools

PlanetAlexander
01-31-2015, 04:57 PM
I-I-I I'm in love.

0BobTheJanitor
01-31-2015, 05:08 PM

This is new, I haven't seen this before. Is that a hotel in the background?

iChase
01-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Awesome blog post, Mattlab! Loved everything!

That being said, I am concerned about one thing you said.

...we are also making sure that all of our in game objects fall into one of four unified themes: Western, Space, Americana, and Pirate.

This worries me a bit. A big problem with RCT2 was the forced theming on rides. In some scenarios you could build a ride, but it was tied to some really childish theme (buffalo shaped coaster cars, for example). It seems like the better approach here would be to allow for generic rides and building scenery to be themed once they're built.

Is Americana going to be the "generic-esque" theme or is everything going to get a taste of mandatory theming?

On a more positive note - I love the concept of actual sit-down restaurants, a dedicated Attractions category is excellent, and the graphic composition at the end of your post was well done.

I'm excited again!

Marvin
01-31-2015, 05:26 PM
This is new, I haven't seen this before. Is that a hotel in the background?

It looks like it. I don't know what else that could be :D

alzo93
01-31-2015, 05:28 PM
Look at those supports in the background, they look fantastic!

That monkey thing in the cave to the right looks awesome too!

shyguy
01-31-2015, 05:53 PM
Everything looks like it's made out of plastic, including the foliage. And which of the four themes does that ape fall under??

TheAmigosGroup
01-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Where was that image found/posted? I haven't seen it anywhere else before.
The coaster car in the forground looks kind of plain and unfinished, but other than that it looks pretty good :)

SparkyUK
01-31-2015, 06:17 PM
The coaster car in the forground looks kind of plain and unfinished, but other than that it looks pretty good :)

You mean where the wheels don't actually ride on the track? I hope this is alpha code and not near completion! ;)

TheAmigosGroup
01-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Yeah, probably just an early model :)

Danny
01-31-2015, 06:20 PM
That looks far too incomplete to be anything other than an alpha model, so I wouldn't worry.

Well actually...

jerooney
01-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Mattlab,

ATMOSPHERE: One of the key elements in a game like RCTW. In the last version it was completely gone. The slower animations of the guests and the fact that ALL SOUNDS (except background music) where mute when zoomed out, was a total bummer in the last version of the game. Getting the feel of the entire park at once is the best feeling in the world, and should be there! Graphic wise: Great work. Everyone knows that gameplay makes this game.

NickNem
01-31-2015, 06:24 PM
But where's that picture from...Come on rhcoaster, give us the source ;)

TheAmigosGroup
01-31-2015, 06:31 PM

I know right! I really want to know now :)

SparkyUK
01-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Mattlab,

ATMOSPHERE: One of the key elements in a game like RCTW. In the last version it was completely gone. The slower animations of the guests and the fact that ALL SOUNDS (except background music) where mute when zoomed out, was a total bummer in the last version of the game. Getting the feel of the entire park at once is the best feeling in the world, and should be there! Graphic wise: Great work. Everyone knows that gameplay makes this game.

The biggest problem I had with the sound in the last game was:

1. Every coaster sounded the same (lift hill, air brakes etc.)
2. Screaming peeps, even when it dropped one tiny little drop, they screamed like someone was cutting off a limb

I hope time has been taken to capture the sounds of different style lift hills, braking systems, station gates, or any other element - rather than the pure laziness of the previous game.

I have everything crossed! :)

darkhorizon
01-31-2015, 06:35 PM
You guys are really shootin' yourselves in the leg, here. Not one sentence in this 'devlog' gave me butterflies or made me more excited for this title. I'm not gonna repeat stuff, because mb1.0.2 and Wabigbear and others worded it perfectly. I don't see any marketing efforts being "ramped up"; the picture is nice, but its just a prerendered image.

I keep expecting you guys to show something huge and surprise all of us. Heck, I hope that happens. If you're just gonna provide us with walls of texts that are borderline TL;DR for what it's worth, at least give us info that isn't so vague, answer our questions, give us some form of hope please!

Wabigbear
01-31-2015, 06:47 PM
I think (but I don't know) that the ape is actually a Bigfoot or Sasquatch for the Western theme?

It actually could be glimpsed in a screen released by Pipeworks some time ago, there on the right side of the screen...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/wabigbear/i_zifHQ7Gwuu878x0Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Mithrando
01-31-2015, 06:55 PM
He's probably a pipeworks employee coming to troll here now and then with a new found screenshot "from the internet" haha.

Sambo
01-31-2015, 07:00 PM
are you meaning that the paths are like the waterpark tycoon is? like in the video (skip part of the video to the path painting)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuH1P8iHaBU
I'm so happy if you do this :)
I also noticed that the peeps did not walk on that path, but just walked across the grass - at a right angle to the main path. I think the spray on path is just dressing and the pathing will still unfortunately be all grid-based.

DeliciousOatmeal
01-31-2015, 07:16 PM
It looks like it. I don't know what else that could be :D

I think it's the monorail station, maybe combined with a hotel?

Marvin
01-31-2015, 07:27 PM
I think it's the monorail station, maybe combined with a hotel?

Ooh, looks like you might be right. It actually could be just a monorail station.

Well, at least it looks really good for a monorail station.

DeliciousOatmeal
01-31-2015, 07:29 PM

Wherever you found this, are there more?

TheAmigosGroup
01-31-2015, 07:47 PM
I thought these were just images that had been attached in other posts, but i may be wrong.

y88cdw
01-31-2015, 08:01 PM
If game is the sequel we've been waiting for, then first expansion pack wanted is water slides :)

cap396
01-31-2015, 08:06 PM
I thought these were just images that had been attached in other posts, but i may be wrong.

Yes, maybe you're right.

king_austin95
01-31-2015, 08:27 PM
Awesome blog post, Mattlab! Loved everything!

That being said, I am concerned about one thing you said.

This worries me a bit. A big problem with RCT2 was the forced theming on rides. In some scenarios you could build a ride, but it was tied to some really childish theme (buffalo shaped coaster cars, for example). It seems like the better approach here would be to allow for generic rides and building scenery to be themed once they're built.

Is Americana going to be the "generic-esque" theme or is everything going to get a taste of mandatory theming?

On a more positive note - I love the concept of actual sit-down restaurants, a dedicated Attractions category is excellent, and the graphic composition at the end of your post was well done.

I'm excited again!

i actually like heavily themed stuff. especially the coaster cars

king_austin95
01-31-2015, 08:36 PM
I think (but I don't know) that the ape is actually a Bigfoot or Sasquatch for the Western theme?

It actually could be glimpsed in a screen released by Pipeworks some time ago, there on the right side of the screen...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/wabigbear/i_zifHQ7Gwuu878x0Z-Z96KYq.jpg

are you guys sure its not just a statue of a buff guy?

Jannyboy11
01-31-2015, 08:38 PM
Ahw yeah :D
Looks like progress is being made!

AUS_Twisted
01-31-2015, 09:23 PM
Mattlab,

Hope not because that's completely unrealistic atmosphere, unless it's a sound option. RCT3 is far more realistic when it comes to atmosphere.

AUS_Twisted
01-31-2015, 09:38 PM
They are forum attachments.

DeliciousOatmeal
01-31-2015, 09:46 PM

I like that stuff too, but I want the option to not have it also. Parks like Six Flags aren't known for their extensive theming, just their awesome rides.

iChase
01-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do like heavy theming. I would just like the option of switching between generic and themed. Say if you wanted to do a Six Flags roller-coaster-in-a-parking-lot style ride with no theme, it would be a bummer not to have the option to use themeless cars.

Mattlab
01-31-2015, 11:01 PM
are you guys sure its not just a statue of a buff guy?

I can confirm that this not a statue of a "buff guy but in fact more of a sasquatch variety ;)

Indiglow
01-31-2015, 11:08 PM
i noticed Mattlab just completely removed the post link that had the leaked screenshot!

OOOoooOOOoooooOOoo let the conspiracy theories begin!

Marvin
01-31-2015, 11:10 PM
I can confirm that this not a statue of a "buff guy but in fact more of a sasquatch variety ;)

What about the monorail/hotel thing in the back? ;)

Indiglow
01-31-2015, 11:13 PM
screenshot removed =)

That might tell you something...

Thompso
01-31-2015, 11:36 PM
It tells me were never supposed to see it or it wasn't RCTWORLD related.

I wonder why Developers are so uptight about ingame pics? It worries me.

Indiglow
01-31-2015, 11:41 PM
It tells me were never supposed to see it or it wasn't RCTWORLD related.

I wonder why Developers are so uptight about ingame pics? It worries me.

If you saw the picture you would know it was RCTW lol trust me

Thompso
01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Yeah, what I should have said is it's probably (not Area 52)related but a screen shot from when pipeworks was working on pre alphas.

LOL, I'm going to shut up now because I don't think they want that screen shot discussed.

I think it got leaked by accident somehow.

Indiglow
01-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Yeah, what I should have said is it's probably (not Area 52)related but a screen shot from when pipeworks was working on pre alphas.

LOL

what's weird is the screenshot still exists and all the screens that are tied to that folder or whatever are still there....and i still have it copied so I can view =)

tycoon
01-31-2015, 11:58 PM
man, now i regret reading everybody's great feedback in full... getting to the end of the thread, and poof it's already gone :mad:

rhcoaster
02-01-2015, 12:24 AM
man, now i regret reading everybody's great feedback in full... getting to the end of the thread, and poof it's already gone :mad:

i just missed it. surely somebody saved / bookmarked it, and i'll get to see it too! someone pm me? ;)

hmmm.... https://www.facebook.com/rctw.portal/posts/1557275557844871

Indiglow
02-01-2015, 12:31 AM
hmmm.... https://www.facebook.com/rctw.portal/posts/1557275557844871

lol they'll delete also =)

tycoon
02-01-2015, 12:42 AM
goes to show how much action is generated in an hour or two of an actual screen shot being posted... intended or not. just sayin :rolleyes:

Crisps
02-01-2015, 01:01 AM
At the point we are at right now, I think the deciding factor on myself buying this game is if custom content is allowed...

king_austin95
02-01-2015, 01:13 AM

that's awesome.

James
02-01-2015, 01:24 AM
If they could take a leaf out of Pantera's book by licensing the coaster variants, that would be fantastic. A bit more information than the last update is welcomed. Eagerly awaiting the next update, and that art looks incredible!

h3rlihy
02-01-2015, 05:33 AM
90% of people never themed their parks. If you've taken away the option to just build a generic park then you've already killed it for me.

GacMyver
02-01-2015, 08:52 AM
90% of people never themed their parks. If you've taken away the option to just build a generic park then you've already killed it for me.

+1

Really really REALLY important with that option.

Christopher
02-01-2015, 10:09 AM
I agree. Themes are nice but I just want to build a generic park most of the time.
I also really really hope that the supports of the coasters will be more realistic, like in the picture.

king_austin95
02-01-2015, 11:23 AM
i like both themed stuff AND generic. not one or the otner

coaster6
02-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Everyone chill these screenshots were released a while ago. I remember seeing then maybe 3-4 weeks ago, actually.

SPRidley
02-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Its amazing (and not in a good way) that this was a blog about building and we still dont have clarification of custom-building and building our own structures instead of ploting already build and themed objects, because that is what it sounds right now with your "magnificent" dev blog.
If custom buildings are out, Im out, and reading the thread it seems im not the only one. There is a decade old product that is better than this called RCT3, and other options coming that should not be named that may also be better.
4 themes only are also not acceptable in this day and age, and much less if theres no custom scenery people can make and downlaod in the steam workshop. Are yout trying to sell more with DLC or something? Hasn't anyone in the industry learnt what happend with creating a sequel with a lot less like The Sims 4 did, and the fiasco that was?

You say you are the executive producer of the game, but it doesnt look like you are the one calling the shots (with the director). And I dont know what is worst, you trying to hold vital information for the people to get interested in your game, or someone in the upper ranks of Atari not letting you. And Im sorry Mattlab, becuase, even if its not what you want, your devblog sounds more like a lying politician trying to hide information than a real source of information for fans.
0 confidence right now.

Sorry to sound so negative, but as a game designer im surprised at the process of how this game is being made, and how easy would be to resolve some of the problems of the old ones, while adding new things that would be not really hard to add.

Paul_Boland
02-01-2015, 01:44 PM
I have to say I'm bemused at so many people hinging their purchase of RCTW on whether or not the game will let them do custom building in game and allow them to install outside custom content!! I've been playing RCT since version 1, and still play RCT 3 to this day, and I've never, not once, done custom building design or installed outside custom content. Now I'm not saying that these features shouldn't be there for fans who want them, but when I see people say they won't buy RCTW if it won't let them do custom building in game or install outside custom content, then I have to ask myself are there people really eager "FANS" for a new rollercoaster tycoon game like I am, or are they looking for something else entirely...??? Considering this is the first new rollercoaster tycoon game in a decade, I'm excited about the game and will only not buy it if it's a total flop as a game itself (which I doubt it will be), and not because it's missing a miniscule feature that has no real affect on the overall gameplay.

Wabigbear
02-01-2015, 02:34 PM
I wasn't aware that real "FANS" don't use custom content, and I've been around since RCT1 first came out...who knew?

Custom content is NOT a "miniscule feature" - it's what helped keep this game popular for years, both in RCT2 and RCT3.

I'm bemused that some people don't know that...

rhcoaster
02-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Everyone chill these screenshots were released a while ago. I remember seeing then maybe 3-4 weeks ago, actually.

Are you on the right page cause everyone else including me have seen that deleted screen for the first time yesterday?

Kontra
02-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Top needed features that really make the original RCT franchise a creative success:

-Custom buildings (I want to build a custom castle)
-Custom pathways (tunneling, bridges, etc.)
-Terrain editor (hills/mountains)

Needed new features:
-Expand Entertainment (design parades, firework shows, amphitheaters, water shows)
-Expanded themes (Asia, Africa, European, etc. styles) (retro, movie backlot, Jurassic, etc.)
-Organize revenue by category (see performances organized between: food & beverage, attractions, merch sales, etc.)
-Resorts (this would be a huge expansion)

Indiglow
02-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Ummmmm....there's always a way to have custom content. You use mods.

If they don't supply you with the ability to do so, then what does it matter? People will find away anyway.

You used custom scenery from RCT1 to RCT3, why would you think you can't do that here?

They aren't going to talk about it because they have never done it before and likely don't plan on doing it. Especially with their being a multi-player aspect...that means everyone has to have the same exact scenery/buildings in order for everyone to see it.

Just get over it already - custom scenery will have to be added by the fans just like all the other RCTs.

dwwilkin
02-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Indi has a point. Hacking into the correct folders has always been something to do, though I think I didn't have a yen to do such until 2 came out. I think when 2 came out I was still going through Loopy Landscapes

But there is the point that most dont go down the road of adding Custom Content. And it is not the only reason that the game is still played. Assertions on either side of that issue are wrong. Park Managers get the game and play just the scenarios, Park Managers get them game and just play Sandbox. PMs play both. PMs get the itch to recreate a real world park and start down the CS path. PMs have an idea that they can do this better than Walt Disney and design their own making new CS content.

There are many flavors of Park Managers.

(And one day, as an aside to this issue, I hope we'll get the full story about ScreenShot132GATE :-)

Paul_Boland
02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
I wasn't aware that real "FANS" don't use custom content, and I've been around since RCT1 first came out...who knew?

Custom content is NOT a "miniscule feature" - it's what helped keep this game popular for years, both in RCT2 and RCT3.

I'm bemused that some people don't know that...

I never said real fans don't use custom content, I said I've never used it. I also said that the features should be there for in game custom building and the us of outside custom content for fans that want it. What I DID say was people who say they will not buy the game just because these two minuscule features are not in it, don't come across as real rollercoaster tycoon fans who are looking forward to the newest latest installation of the game itself, it sounds like they are looking for a game based on a different premise.

CoasterMadness
02-01-2015, 03:59 PM
I think that in terms of custom content, many people used it in RCT3. I'm sure others may not have used it at all. I personally believe that it would be foolish for Atari and Area52 to possibly remove the feature (although they have not said anything on this point, so far.)

I find it somewhat amusing just by watching these forums, that when some posters give legitimate criticism, other posters are quick to what appears to be minimizing the arguments (for example I would not say CS and other custom content are miniscule features.) I have played and owned every single RCT game that has come out, and I may not have the knowledge of computer programing/game publishing/other knowledge that other people on this forums do. BUT lets all try and keep things here civil. We have been doing a good job so far, we just all need to remember that we all like the franchise so far and think that the previous games were fun. It is our duty as fans to give our honest feedback about how the game is progressing and to add constructive criticism.

I remember that someone on this forum likened this process as to a birth. I would liken this whole process as to a term paper.
A good teacher/professor/reader (I am not making the argument that we "the forums" are masters in the RCT genre)when reading a term paper that is in the process of being written; will not say I dislike the paper so far, but I will let you do your thing and then I will grade it. They will instead say, "Here are some things that you should change, here are some things that do not work, and here are some things that work well." and then they give their reasoning. A poor student withholds the paper without getting input from anyone.

I apologize for the long text.

king_austin95
02-01-2015, 04:39 PM
I have to say I'm bemused at so many people hinging their purchase of RCTW on whether or not the game will let them do custom building in game and allow them to install outside custom content!! I've been playing RCT since version 1, and still play RCT 3 to this day, and I've never, not once, done custom building design or installed outside custom content. Now I'm not saying that these features shouldn't be there for fans who want them, but when I see people say they won't buy RCTW if it won't let them do custom building in game or install outside custom content, then I have to ask myself are there people really eager "FANS" for a new rollercoaster tycoon game like I am, or are they looking for something else entirely...??? Considering this is the first new rollercoaster tycoon game in a decade, I'm excited about the game and will only not buy it if it's a total flop as a game itself (which I doubt it will be), and not because it's missing a miniscule feature that has no real affect on the overall gameplay.

i could care less about wheter it has custom scenery too lol. i've never used it either, and i couldn't give a sh*t whether its in the game or not

Wabigbear
02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Respectfully,
"when I see people say they won't buy RCTW if it won't let them do custom building in game or install outside custom content, then I have to ask myself are there people really eager "FANS" for a new rollercoaster tycoon game like I am, or are they looking for something else entirely...???"
did sound to me like those who won't buy RCTW if there isn't custom scenery aren't really 'fans'.

If that's not what your words meant, then I apologize for reading what you wrote wrong. I know that you said you custom content should be included for those who want it, and I agree. Just as those who enjoy the Tycoon aspect of the game should have improvements in those areas to make their enjoyment of the game better.

But I'm insure why you think they are looking for a game based on a different premise, when there isn't any 'correct' way to play RCT. You know a great number of people have played few, if any, scenarios, myself included. Many people play the game and don't really care about the Tycoon aspects at all, they use the sandbox to create rides and parks that are more works of art than anything else. And that's still playing RCT.

Those people are every much fans of this game as anyone else, and if the game doesn't support custom content, right or wrong some people won't see any value in trading up and may decide to stick with what they have in RCT3 or one of the other games coming out that WILL support it. They have a legitimate viewpoint whether you or I agree with them or not.

Calling custom content 'miniscule' I just have to totally disagree with. You may not use it, but a large number of people do, and many fans of this game have put in countless hours creating it. There are thousands of custom items available.

Hacking the game isn't supported. It would be a lot easier, and legally more ethical, to provide an approved method of adding custom items to the game rather than forcing people to hack into the game and try to figure out how to add something I'd think.

coaster6
02-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Actually yes.. If you Googled that a while back, it came up. I had it saved on my phone for a while. It was back before o was even on the site.

Paul_Boland
02-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Respectfully,
did sound to me like those who won't buy RCTW if there isn't custom scenery aren't really 'fans'.

If that's not what your words meant, then I apologize for reading what you wrote wrong. I know that you said you custom content should be included for those who want it, and I agree. Just as those who enjoy the Tycoon aspect of the game should have improvements in those areas to make their enjoyment of the game better.

But I'm insure why you think they are looking for a game based on a different premise, when there isn't any 'correct' way to play RCT. You know a great number of people have played few, if any, scenarios, myself included. Many people play the game and don't really care about the Tycoon aspects at all, they use the sandbox to create rides and parks that are more works of art than anything else. And that's still playing RCT.

Those people are every much fans of this game as anyone else, and if the game doesn't support custom content, right or wrong some people won't see any value in trading up and may decide to stick with what they have in RCT3 or one of the other games coming out that WILL support it. They have a legitimate viewpoint whether you or I agree with them or not.

Calling custom content 'miniscule' I just have to totally disagree with. You may not use it, but a large number of people do, and many fans of this game have put in countless hours creating it. There are thousands of custom items available.

Hacking the game isn't supported. It would be a lot easier, and legally more ethical, to provide an approved method of adding custom items to the game rather than forcing people to hack into the game and try to figure out how to add something I'd think.

Look, I'm not out to start an argument so let me clarify what I was saying...

When I think of RCTW, what am I looking forward to...? What will get me to part with money to get the game it is being sold as...? For me it's the core content of the game. Building theme parks, building rollercoasters, having peeps come into my park and explore it. The game is called Rollercoaster Tycoon World so these are the core content that will get my money.

However, when I see people say they will only buy the game if is supports in game custom building and the installation of outside custom content, that to me says they are not interested in the core of the game. They aren't here saying they want to build coasters and theme parks, that that is not their core reason for parting with their money to get the game. No, their reason for parting with their money is so they can do in game custom building and install outside custom content. For me that's a secondary feature, not a primary feature, and anyone who says they will walk away from the game because it lacks this miniscule secondary feature over the core content of what make Rollercoaster Tycoon World the game it should be, that says to me they are not interested in the core of the game, and hence are looking for a game that is based on a different premise.

The way these should be approached is, "I want to build theme parks, I want to build rollercoasters, I want peeps to come to my park and explore it. This is the core of the game. But I also ant to be able to do in game custom building and to install outside custom content." These are features you want in the core game, they are NOT the core game. So if you treat these features as the core game, then you could be in for a let down if they are not part of it. The game is called Rollercoaster Tycoon World, not Custom Content Building World. At its core, it has to offer what it's designed to be, that being a themepark building game. That's what it's advertised to be. Custom content is a secondary feature and I DID say that it should be there for people who want it, but it is not the core of the game and people who are treating it as the core may want to look elsewhere where these features are guaranteed to be core content.

As I said, not looking to start an argument, and I hope this post clarifies what I meant. By all means ask for the custom content support for the people who want it, but saying you won't buy the game because it doesn't support a secondary feature means you might be looking at the wrong game here.

Carl-
02-01-2015, 09:03 PM
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am for this game! To the point where I was literally wondering how the development on the game was getting on whilst in the bath (AHA) and then thinking about where you could go with expansions & maybe add on packs (which is hard to think about seeing as though our knowledge on this game thus far is somewhat limited.) Anyhow, I want to say thank you for bringing this game back, though it never really went anywhere for any of the hardcore fans.

(PS) That key art image is just... WOWSERS! I hope people look like that and interact like that (ie, holding hands, parents with buggies) :o Bring on the pre-orders! ;)

Liam.
02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Look, I'm not out to start an argument so let me clarify what I was saying...

I...I...me...me...my...my...I...me...me...I...I... I...I...I...I...

I want custom content. I need it to play this game. I bought RCT3 because it let me be creative. You do not speak for the vast majority, infact the longest lasting fanbase sect is one that is almost solely devoted to custom content in the game. If they lock us out of modifying their game, why should I purchase it? Part of the game itself has become creation without limits other than enforced by game mechanics, and if Atari as a company don't see this community as an opportunity to unleash modding ability on a game they are sorely blind. You are here to play scenarios, play without custom content, and for me, the game will not function without it.

I want to build "coasters and theme parks" which you claim to be not in my interest, the only thing is, I want to do it on my terms, not being limited to what Atari deemed was all I needed to play. Take away my creativity, and I'll lose interest immediately.

shyguy
02-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Custom scenery has kept RCT2 and RCT3 alive and kicking for many, many years... Well past the point that most people would have grown tired of them by now. How many simulation games created back in 2002 and 2004, respectively, are still being played today? Once you've played through the scenarios, and built a sandbox park or two, there was not much else to do. The addition of custom scenery breathed new life into both titles. And sold more copies, to the delight of Atari and Frontier. And the majority of people who bought either of these games when they were first released, and are still playing today, is because of custom scenery.

Custom scenery adds a whole new level of creativity and immersion to these 2 titles. Every time new custom scenery is released, it's like a new (free) mini expansion pack has been created, giving players more tools and objects to use to build the park of their dreams. Check out sites like New Element and shyguy's World, and you'll see jaw-dropping, gorgeous, and extremely imaginative parks, all very different from one another. If RCT-World lacks any ability to import our own custom creations, its shelf-life will be severely limited.

Is it a "core" feature of the game? To some "no". But to most playing today... "Yes"! Now I fully understand that it is also vitally important that the game functions well... that it incorporates tools to manage your parks such as hiring of staff, managing food vendors and shops, tending to the needs of the peeps to keep them spending money, and ultimately, creating realistic rides and coasters. But with only 4 themes announced, and no mention of custom scenery, or even in-game themed wall sets, people are worried that they will be limited to "ploppables" (simply plopping down pre-built assets) and that all the elements in one park will all look the same as anyone else's park. What's the point of being able to visit (or even view screenshots of) others' parks if they have all the same flatrides as you do... all the same shops, restaurants, and facilities, just in a different layout.

And as Atari continues to keep mum on this topic... that, coupled with their odd way of marketing this game...by not showing us ANYTHING, longtime fans have a right to be worried. In this day and age, when many major games are releasing modding tools to the public, it would be a smart move on Atari's part to do the same with this new installment. It would hardly be a huge investment...just a simple little utility program to import custom objects into the game. That's all we want. And if not that, then at least the heads up from Atari that it will be okay for the community to create such a utility, as they did for the last previous games.

mb1.0.2
02-02-2015, 12:29 AM
When I say custom structures, I mean using wall pieces and roof pieces...scenery sets that have ALWAYS been present in the game. That is NOT a minuscule feature...it's been a core of each of the last 3 games. I thus far have heard NOTHING from Atari/Area 52 that says we will be able to create structures...rather we will rely only on the ploppables they give us. IF (and I'm saying if) that's what they give us, then I will pass, as they have changed a HUGE fundamental part of the game. If I can't build my own building with tools included in RCTW, then I don't want RCTW, because I AM such a fan of how the last 3 games have done things. And I am insulted that some would question my love and appreciation for the one game series I've played more than any others.

Hanazakari86
02-02-2015, 12:45 AM
regarding the rollercoaster I hope you add the speakers on the catwalks as seen on the teaser trailer
including the high quality coaster camera matching the screen resolution

Hanazakari86
02-02-2015, 01:12 AM
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am for this game! To the point where I was literally wondering how the development on the game was getting on whilst in the bath (AHA) and then thinking about where you could go with expansions & maybe add on packs (which is hard to think about seeing as though our knowledge on this game thus far is somewhat limited.) Anyhow, I want to say thank you for bringing this game back, though it never really went anywhere for any of the hardcore fans.

(PS) That key art image is just... WOWSERS! I hope people look like that and interact like that (ie, holding hands, parents with buggies) :o Bring on the pre-orders! ;)

I agree with you
adding expansion packs like soaked will add more taste to this game
in addition to the interactions you have metioned !!!

MattZ
02-02-2015, 01:44 AM
I'm now curious as to whether or not you, Mattlab, are actually in control at all of what you get to share with us. Certainly you cannot be responsible for the brunt of negativity that will stream your way. Someone HAS to be telling you to hold back on the information...don't show us much...keep us guessing and all that...because I certainly can't imagine someone who is in charge of keeping the fan base that has been keeping these forums active keeping everything so incredibly vague.

I can only assume there is very little, if any, game right now. That's why no one can be specific. That picture is cute, but it doesn't actually tell us what the GAME will be like. It just tells me what you all look at when you think about RCTW. It helps you work hard every day...really? Ugh...I need more information than that to get behind this title. If it really is because Atari is woefully behind schedule, then whoever is feeding you the information to feed to us should just man up and tell it like it is. We can handle it...really.

I'd love to be excited about this dev blog. Really...I would. Restaurants are awesome and necessary, yes...but in your 'building' blog, you negated to say ANYTHING about custom-built structures? Do they simply not exist? Do we plop full-blown structures? If so, then I'm on the 'pass' side of the fence when it comes to purchasing this title. I love theme parks and I love making them my own with my own ideas and my own structures. If I don't get to build my own structures, if I can only rely on what Atari and Area 52 gives me, then thanks but no, I have a more superior product in my game library already: RCT3...and it came out a decade ago.

So, I'm sorry I'm such a jerk but, really...I've been playing RCT since the day it came out (the first one, btw, RCT1). This is the MOST beloved game I've ever played. It's the only game to withstand the test of time, the only one I've become a member of an online community for, the only one I play with purpose as a creative hobby and outlet...and each time you "leak" non-information, I just get more and more discouraged. I'll go and turn towards one of those "other" not-to-be-named theme park titles, because at least they're giving me enough information for me to make an informed decision. And they supposedly come out WAY after this title is supposed to drop.

It's quite obvious that there is little to no actual game right now. It seems that everything is still in the "planning stage". It would certainly explain the lack of any in game screenshots, video, and strange behavior from Atari. Also the fact that developers were recently switched. Just very odd overall. Especially for a game that is supposed to be released in early 2015.

Indiglow
02-02-2015, 01:47 AM
When I say custom structures, I mean using wall pieces and roof pieces...scenery sets that have ALWAYS been present in the game. That is NOT a minuscule feature...it's been a core of each of the last 3 games. I thus far have heard NOTHING from Atari/Area 52 that says we will be able to create structures...rather we will rely only on the ploppables they give us. IF (and I'm saying if) that's what they give us, then I will pass, as they have changed a HUGE fundamental part of the game. If I can't build my own building with tools included in RCTW, then I don't want RCTW, because I AM such a fan of how the last 3 games have done things. And I am insulted that some would question my love and appreciation for the one game series I've played more than any others.

Are you kidding? Of course this will be in the game. It was in the game for all RCTs it would be like asking if they are going to have peeps....

come on people....

dwwilkin
02-02-2015, 02:08 AM
I know my memory is not as sharp now at 52 as it was at 40, and especially because I am on pharma that has side effects regarding memory, but I do not remember being able to create custom structures in 1, and limited in 2, and even 3 until we cracked custom scenery in 3. We had sets to use, but Atari didn't map out how we could add new sets, which we can now find at Shyguys and other websites.

However, I am posting because I see us turning this into a flame war.

Someone claimed that there were 10 million in sales of RCT3. Perhaps that is so. If so, I would hazard to be fair, that Custom Scenery afficianadoes (And I do love using CS) are a very small percentage of that. If 100,000 unique Park Managers have registered and gotten CS, I would be amazed.

Please, prove me wrong with stats.

CS is fun, a great addition, should be encouraged. It however is not why the franchise has continued to exist for 10 years.

A new PM gets the game having never seen it before, and it is that joy of discovery as we all had when we first played it that keeps the game new and going. For that person who just got RCT3 for the first time in January 2015, they are enjoying just as some of us learned to enjoy it in 2005. And they may not go the CS route. Certainly, a lot of people never did. And yet the game of RCT3 has legs. It continues.

I dont say this to say RCTW would be fine without CS. I would rather that it have the ability to have it.

Should it not, I will still want to play it. Should it have it, it will be that much more enjoyable. Still, even with it, I should bet that a far greater majority will never go beyond using CS than will use it.

Indiglow
02-02-2015, 02:46 AM
I know my memory is not as sharp now at 52 as it was at 40, and especially because I am on pharma that has side effects regarding memory, but I do not remember being able to create custom structures in 1, and limited in 2, and even 3 until we cracked custom scenery in 3. We had sets to use, but Atari didn't map out how we could add new sets, which we can now find at Shyguys and other websites.

However, I am posting because I see us turning this into a flame war.

Someone claimed that there were 10 million in sales of RCT3. Perhaps that is so. If so, I would hazard to be fair, that Custom Scenery afficianadoes (And I do love using CS) are a very small percentage of that. If 100,000 unique Park Managers have registered and gotten CS, I would be amazed.

Please, prove me wrong with stats.

CS is fun, a great addition, should be encouraged. It however is not why the franchise has continued to exist for 10 years.

A new PM gets the game having never seen it before, and it is that joy of discovery as we all had when we first played it that keeps the game new and going. For that person who just got RCT3 for the first time in January 2015, they are enjoying just as some of us learned to enjoy it in 2005. And they may not go the CS route. Certainly, a lot of people never did. And yet the game of RCT3 has legs. It continues.

I dont say this to say RCTW would be fine without CS. I would rather that it have the ability to have it.

Should it not, I will still want to play it. Should it have it, it will be that much more enjoyable. Still, even with it, I should bet that a far greater majority will never go beyond using CS than will use it.

You don't remember being able to create walls and then put roofs on them?

That's what he's talking about.

He's not talking about custom scenery that people make, he's talking about being able to actually build things...lol it's ridiculous. Of COURSE you can do that, we've been doing that since forever.

CoasterMadness
02-02-2015, 03:16 AM
No, actually he IS talking about custom scenery that people make. As for stats on how many people use CS, I personally can't seem to find one (probably because no one thought about making any). But I would hazard to guess that there are more people who currently use CS on RCT3 than estimates have said. I did find stats on the total number of sales to date of RCT3. http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7415/rollercoaster-tycoon-3/ which gives the total number of units sold globally to date at .25m. http://www.develop-online.net/analysis/ip-profile-rollercoaster-tycoon/0116119 this link lists the total at 9million+ but I think it is counting the whole series.

Either way, I agree with Shyguy and the others. RCT3 is a fun game by itself, but a big portion of the replay value that helped it survive as long as it has was from the people who added the custom stuff.

I will continue to look for hard facts and stats on the CS issue, so that we have actual figures.

Wabigbear
02-02-2015, 06:34 AM
He's not talking about custom scenery that people make, he's talking about being able to actually build things...lol it's ridiculous. Of COURSE you can do that, we've been doing that since forever.

Can you please provide a quote where Atari actually says that?

Any descriptios or screenshots of building parts to construct our own structures?

Angel
02-02-2015, 08:46 AM
MattLab, where are you? Please clear this up, will you? No offence, but this discussion is getting annoying.

CoasterKing84
02-02-2015, 09:26 AM
MattLab, where are you? Please clear this up, will you? No offence, but this discussion is getting annoying.

I agree I've been a hard core fan of the series since 1999! With or without custom scenery, I am just grateful that we'll have a new installment of the series in general!

mb1.0.2
02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
You don't remember being able to create walls and then put roofs on them?

That's what he's talking about.

How do you know? Where has it said that? The entire Dev Blog about BUILDING very carefully negated to say anything like that. It mentioned plopping rides (er-attractions)...plopping restaurants...etc. Not once did I hear that I'll be able to use scenery sets like I did in the past. Until I actually see something that says otherwise, I'll continue to assume it won't be there, as I haven't heard anything different.

And no, I'm not talking about user-created custom content. That will find a way to happen, regardless of whether or not it's supported. It wasn't supported in RCT2 or 3 and people still found a way. It would be NICE if it was supported (maybe even not right at launch) by the developers, but no, I don't expect that (and that's not what's preventing me from getting hyped for this title). I expect they'll frown upon custom content for a while so that they can milk us for our $$$ with DLC's and expansion packs. 'Tis the way gaming has become these days.

dwwilkin
02-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I expect MB is right about Atari thinking of ways to maximize sales through DLC. DLC was not out there in 2004/2005 so we had expansion packs, which took a lot more effort to get to market. Now that the business model is this way (and we have been thankfully promised that this wont be a game saddled with microtransactions) it makes sense for a company to slice and dice what could be in a game at start, and instead give you enough to get started, and then sell you the next hit just as you are coming off your high.

For sales numbers, the 250K number comes from a place tracking since sometime in 2011. So that is wrong. If all RCT3 had sold was 250K units, even at $50 and it has been selling for a lot less these days, it would be an abandoned franchise.

I was not, btw singling out the difference between CS and the ability to build already included content which I guess would just be scenery. I still don't remember building a scenery building in RCT 1. I do remembering ploping prebuilt statues and fountains along with trees. I built a lot of trees in a park around coasters, making them almost in a forest because that was like an instant point of excitement and intensity if you did so.

Yes, I agree that CS in RCT3 and the many places that have supported it, has given those who got the game in October of 2004, like myself, a way to add to the gameplay and keep it fresh. However out of the 9+ million who bought the game, I would be swayed that most played only the included scenarios and could not be bothered to go looking for more things. The Coaster exchange, when it came, quickly became unsortable, unusable so that would discourage adventures in the internet (and 10 years ago not as friendly as it has since gotten and continues to get.) Human nature I would think would have 9 out of 10 Park Managers abandoning the game even before completing the 18th scenario.

Human nature I believe would have a Park Manager getting tired of the game, so from a business model, how to appeal to those 9 out of ten to get them, or people like them to buy RCTW. Still give the one out of ten who love it and will stick it with, playing Sandbox (and there I think too, that the 1 out of ten of those became bored and abandoned it as well dwindling down to the number of PMs who delved into the world of the "Community" and delved into CS.) an avenue that will keep them hyped and allow them to make amazing parks which become free advertising.

I think though, it is our aid that will help Atari realize how to go after the vast majority that will like the game, but end up putting it aside for the next hit FPS game that comes out. And that we can't assert that it is just CS lovers, or Plain Vanillists who are the reason the game succeeds. It is a blend and the strength of the franchise is it appeals to both.

king_austin95
02-02-2015, 12:07 PM
yes i totally agree with you. i could care less about custom scenery

Paul_Boland
02-02-2015, 01:39 PM
I want custom content. I need it to play this game. I bought RCT3 because it let me be creative. You do not speak for the vast majority...

If they lock us out of modifying their game, why should I purchase it?...

You are here to play scenarios, play without custom content, and for me, the game will not function without it.

I want to build "coasters and theme parks" which you claim to be not in my interest, the only thing is, I want to do it on my terms, not being limited to what Atari deemed was all I needed to play. Take away my creativity, and I'll lose interest immediately.

Hi Liam.

You're not looking at what I'm saying so I'll say it again... The use of custom content should be there for people who want it, I'm NOT saying don't support custom content. What I AM saying is, people who are only going to buy this game IF it support custom content, they might be in for a let down if it's not supported. There are other themepark games out there that have support for custom content as part of the core game features, their themepark game is built with modding in mind. Right now RCTW doesn't have that feature confirmed.

As for your comment that I am claim you have no interest in building themeparks and rollercoasters, again you're not looking at what I said. I said people who are only going to buy this game if it supports custom content are placing the use of custom content ABOVE the core contents of the game which is themepark building and hence they are looking for a game based on a different premise.

BigDaddy
02-02-2015, 02:31 PM
minuscule feature that has no real affect on the overall gameplay. minuscule feature? I'm not sure you even understand what "customized" building is and allows. I bet you have used the feature plenty over the years and arent even aware of it. Without customization games like this get old within a week. Every park looks like every other park.

At the point we are at right now, I think the deciding factor on myself buying this game is if custom content is allowed... +1000

It doesnt take a genius to recognize that one of the biggest market changes in games over the last decade is UGC. The incredible success of minecraft has shown just how lucrative and in demand UGC ( User Generated Content) is. It should be a no brainer that RCTW would run with UGC, hell RCT franchise was allowing UGC before many others, it was what makes RCT so special, and honestly if it's not part of RCT World, then whats the point?

RCT3 + updated graphics+ minecraft like freedom = RCTW gold mine. How hard is that to figure out? Customization was already a huge part of the game, all they had to do is expand on it, instead, I'm betting they eliminated it. Prove me wrong...please Atari.

It's decisions like this, that has made Atari the shell of the company it now is.

The Stig
02-02-2015, 06:58 PM
It looks like someone Photoshopped a bunch of coaster pictures together and slapped a logo on it.
I don't find it very inspiring. I'd rather see the actual game that I eventually plan to purchase.

0BobTheJanitor
02-02-2015, 07:20 PM
It looks like someone Photoshopped a bunch of coaster pictures together and slapped a logo on it.
I don't find it very inspiring. I'd rather see the actual game that I eventually plan to purchase.

Calling it as uninspiring is reasonable, but describing it as lazily photoshoped is not.

mrbigshot110
02-02-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm beginning to think this "Mattlab" guy is a huge troll. The vague repetitive statements, the lack of respectable information, and the fact that we can't get any solid answers from him. It seems like something is being hidden. Did you guys get a chance to look at the screen that was "removed"? It looks remarkably ****ty even for "alpha" stage production as you guys called it. Something doesn't add up. Kind of seems like this game has been canceled or they're just now starting on it. Expect a release date change with this one. Choosing to show artwork when you claim to have seen so much of the game coming together is funny. I don't trust this guy and I'm kind of holding my breath. This project is promising, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be missing features.

dinoman123
02-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I expect more from you guys, All iv been doing is waiting until this game comes out but there is some things you should really add to the game as iv just made an facebook group Regarding RCTW and that iv ask on what do you want to see in the game and up to now we have

More Attractions,
Automatic realistic supports,
realistic screams and Attractions,
Better graphics and better optimization,
walk mode or first person cam,
dolphin interaction,

if people want to join the group then please visit the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1584130585156158/1584699275099289/?comment_id=1584739081761975&ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment

Thompso
02-02-2015, 07:40 PM
What is odd is Coaster Tycoon by Frontier which is supposedly coming out in 2016 http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/frontier-announces-coaster-park-tycoon-for-2016

Why is it so similar to RCT World?

Somethings Fishy.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/rollercoaster-tycoon-set-for-a-reboot-in-2016/

RCM88x
02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
What is odd is Coaster Tycoon by Frontier which is supposedly coming out in 2016 http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/frontier-announces-coaster-park-tycoon-for-2016

Somethings Fishy.

This is a good think, competition is always good in video games, kind of prevents publishers from releasing half finished games just to rake in cash and sell DLC that promises a better experience. Maybe this will actually make Atari release something that isn't a pile of garbage like most games are today.

Indiglow
02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
What we have here are 2 different people's interpretations on what CUSTOM CONTENT is.

Let's clear this up....

some people are talking about CUSTOM CONTENT (A) as if it is the ability to build structures in game like you can do with previous RCT games....like using the in game walls and roofs to build your own building

and some people are talking about CUSTOM CONTENT (B) as if it is the ability to build something OUTSIDE of the game and bring it INTO the game

Let's just get this straightened out now - If you are worried they aren't going to do (A) then you need to just stop being worried. This is the most basic thing you have been able to do forever. If you think you can't build your own buildings and that everything has to be preset made by the game, then I don't even know what word I can use to describe your train of thought. Thoughtless comes to mind. It's like wondering if they are going to include money or peeps in the game. It's the basic principle of the game. They don't have to say they are including it, it's a given.

However, if you are worried about (B) then you have a legit worry. HOWEVER, as I stated before, USERS will make the ability of custom content in this fashion to happen with the use of mods. Users have ALWAYS done this and will ALWAYS continue to do this. You can't really stop it from happening.

In short, there is almost ZERO reason to be worried about custom content. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out over it, it makes no sense at all to be worried.

BigDaddy
02-02-2015, 08:33 PM
then you need to just stop being worried. This is the most basic thing you have been able to do forever. If you think you can't build your own buildings and that everything has to be preset made by the game, then I don't even know what word I can use to describe your train of thought. show us one quote where Atari confirms that you will be able to greatly modify and build your own structures via the use of subsets of existing structures. I'm waiting..

I mean its simple, simply have someone confirm you can take a roof and resize it from say a pirate structure, use some walls, resize them from an american structure, take some windows from a western structure, modify them, recolor some assets, and by using all these subsets create a unique looking structure and plop it down and have a functioning structure usable in your park. If we will be able to do that, why keep it secret?
At this point in development they have to know whether this is a feature or not.

In short, there is almost ZERO reason to be worried about custom content. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out over it, it makes no sense at all to be worried. actually its quite the opposite. If as a developer your customers are asking for features, if you are planning to have them, you jump right in and reassure them, you dont go quiet. All this secrecy, all this verbiage without actually saying anything tells me, be worried.
I mean they just fired the contractor, brought in a new team with no track record, and they seem to be unable to even have a meaningful dialogue on these forums.

I'm hoping for the best, but if I was a betting man, my money is on disaster.

mb1.0.2
02-02-2015, 08:47 PM
It's the basic principle of the game. They don't have to say they are including it, it's a given.

You have way more faith in Atari than I do. I do hope you're correct, but gaming companies have been known to do REALLY stupid things with their franchises. Just look at the mess Simcity 2013 was...ask the people who played the last version of Simcity what they thought of that steaming pile. I betcha lots of people "assumed" there would be an offline mode at launch for SC2013, as that's how it's always been before and the most basic part of Simcity since forever.

Again, I'm of the "prove it" mentality with this title. Everything has been so poorly presented that I have extremely low expectations. Plan/expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised if something better happens.

etabumbum
02-02-2015, 09:02 PM
I am very excited for this game to come out. I believe it is very promising despite the countless replies calling Mattlab a troll. I don't care how long it takes I WILL WAIT FOR THIS GAME WWWWOOOOO HHHHHOOOOO RCTW HYPE!!!

PixelPlayer
02-02-2015, 09:14 PM

Somethings Fishy.

Why is that fishy? Both made RCT3 together. Now they are rivals, both wanting prove who is best. Nothing fishy about it.

Atari has been horrible to RCT franchise, they didn't pay licences correctly to the owner of RCT (Chris Sawyer) and got sued, then Atari went bankrupt. And tried to sell the franchise, and still failed to even sell it. So now they are forced to make money by re-making RCT and hoping it will keep their company afloat.

Frontier how ever have produced good games and are going strong. And are better at communicating about games to the fans.. Atari seems to get everything wrong every step of the way due to the people who manage it having old fashioned way of thinking. They think keeping the game secret keeps it exciting and helps it sell, this was true in 1999. Now its the reverse, we only buy when we know its worth buying first. Or people acquire it other ways to avoid wasting money.

The only fishy thing here is why Atari is so secret about showing the game when its still due to be released in less than a few months. Its completely absurd.

scotnca
02-02-2015, 09:35 PM
But when can we finally expect the release of the game/software so we can use it and explore it for ourselves??
It has been way, way too long!!
:mad:

BeerWhiskers
02-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Mattlab -

Overall, Blog Post #2 is disappointing. Please have the people that approve your texts spend some time in the forums to get an idea of what it is we want to know.

The overall tone is too positive, too much like a cheerleader. Sounds like I know you were just diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, but let's look on the bright side! Or worse, it sounds like a used car salesman. If you have to put that much positive spin to sell this to the dedicated fans, then you must be really worried about the state of the project.

Things That Were Actually Said

Sit Down Restaurants. I thought this was already announced. How is this news?
Placing and rotating buildings could not be easier. Rotating was very easy in RCT3 by pressing the Z key -which I would expect you to know if you had actually played RCT3 for any length of time.
Paths are simply painted on, lowering the number of clicks required. The same thing could be said of RCT3. How is this news or informative?
move it without needing to bulldoze it. Very nice. Very minor. Hardly news. Still nice though.

That's it. All that text and you only said 4 things.

The rest of the post is marketing-speak. Some of it really hurts your credibility:

...we plan to have live stream sessions... Based on this blog, I predict these will be almost-real-time marketing spin sessions more than anything else.
There is more to choose from (to build) than ever before. I'll believe it when I see it. With Soaked and Wild! installed, RCT3 has around 1380 things that can be built. (Start the Scenario Editor, and count the listed inventions). Obviously RCTW won't release with that much content.
...each time I play the game I discover a new ride, scenery object, or coaster type that I did not see last time I played! My initial thought was how disappointing you felt you had to say that. Followed by Wow, There is so little to the game right now that with each new daily build you are able to notice new items.
Attractions on the other hand, another new element. These are nothing new. RCT3 had all the rides you listed and more. RCT1 and 2 had 'indoor rides' also. It would have been better to say that now they are separated into their own list to find easier in the interface. Touting something old as something new, as you did, appears deceitful.

Things that should have been included

When the next blog will be posted.
Screenshots - you had even mentioned in another post that you were trying to pick some out. What happened?

The Stig
02-02-2015, 10:18 PM
^ I couldn't have said it better myself.
I think what worries me the most is that we're already in the 2nd month of 2015 and there is still very little known about the game. And the opportunities that we DO have to learn about the game, we're instead greeted with repetitive information that was released months ago and pictures that show too little, if any, of actual game play. Heck, fan speculation alone (http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1495564) has been more informative than these blog posts.

darkhorizon
02-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Let's just get this straightened out now - If you are worried they aren't going to do (A) then you need to just stop being worried. This is the most basic thing you have been able to do forever. If you think you can't build your own buildings and that everything has to be preset made by the game, then I don't even know what word I can use to describe your train of thought. Thoughtless comes to mind. It's like wondering if they are going to include money or peeps in the game. It's the basic principle of the game. They don't have to say they are including it, it's a given.

In short, there is almost ZERO reason to be worried about custom content. I don't understand why everyone is freaking out over it, it makes no sense at all to be worried.

First off, I'll believe this when it comes out of Mattlab's mouth (err, keyboard). ;)

Just because a feature is a "basic principle" in a game, doesn't guarantee its inclusion in the next installment. I know this topic keeps getting rehashed, but it's a good example: SimCity 2013. Placing power lines and water pipes was a fundamental part of the SimCity games prior to this one. They decided to scrap this feature and have power and water work as "agents" and flow through the roads. This simplified city building and planning.

Let me explain to you our "train of thought": they haven't specifically addressed this, even after Mattlab had said prior to posting this devlog that he would keep this concern in mind as he writes the next blog. Did he address it? No. Is he addressing it now that this topic is dominating this thread? No. You say that there is "zero reason to be concerned", but unfortunately you aren't providing me any sense of relief because you aren't Mattlab, nor are you developing the game, and you don't know for sure. None of us do! That's why we are begging for answers! :)

Indiglow
02-02-2015, 10:47 PM
show us one quote where Atari confirms that you will be able to greatly modify and build your own structures via the use of subsets of existing structures. I'm waiting..

I mean its simple, simply have someone confirm you can take a roof and resize it from say a pirate structure, use some walls, resize them from an american structure, take some windows from a western structure, modify them, recolor some assets, and by using all these subsets create a unique looking structure and plop it down and have a functioning structure usable in your park. If we will be able to do that, why keep it secret?
At this point in development they have to know whether this is a feature or not.

actually its quite the opposite. If as a developer your customers are asking for features, if you are planning to have them, you jump right in and reassure them, you dont go quiet. All this secrecy, all this verbiage without actually saying anything tells me, be worried.
I mean they just fired the contractor, brought in a new team with no track record, and they seem to be unable to even have a meaningful dialogue on these forums.

I'm hoping for the best, but if I was a betting man, my money is on disaster.

I've already stated why you don't need confirmation on being able to BUILD - that's the ENTIRE reason for the game.

Do you have to ask if there are going to be peeps? Show me one post that says YES THERE ARE PEEPS
Do you have to ask if there is going to be money? Show me one post that says YES THERE IS GOING TO BE MONEY
Do you have to ask if there is going to be trees? Show me one post that says YES THERE WILL BE TREES
Do you have to ask if there is going to be paths? Show me one post that says YES THERE WILL BE PATHS

I think you get the point. Building has been part of all of the game series just like all of the above have been.

This argument is just absurd at this point.

Paul_Boland
02-02-2015, 11:15 PM
If you reread the blog, something else interesting was said...

"I don’t want to spoil the surprise but its amazing to see how things come to life from the moment you place down your first ride to the time a peep gets on and rides it."

It's amazing to see things come to life from the moment you place your first ride to the time a peep gets on and rides it... Does this hint at ride construction? You place a ride and workmen come out and build it? That would be pretty awesome watching your park actually being built from the ground up.

BigDaddy
02-02-2015, 11:56 PM
I've already stated why you don't need confirmation on being able to BUILD - that's the ENTIRE reason for the game. and many of us have stated, we dont necessarily care what you state, you are not part of Atari nor the development team. Placing structures is not building structures. We simply want a direct answer from someone in development. The more they avoid answering how much freedom we have to build, the more it seems as if they are avoiding the question, because perhaps the answer may well upset us.

syfy2k4
02-03-2015, 12:34 AM
too many people in here seem to think they have answers that Atari themselves have not provided yet. kind of sad, really. if you are NOT part of Atari or Area 52, how about if you stop trying to provide answers that you can simply NOT back up?

we have questions, they are ignoring our questions. until such time as they do pull their heads out and realize the value of answering with a straight, non evasive answer we will continue to ask about the things that we find to be important.

now again, if you are NOT part of Atari or Area 52.....don't try to answer. let the person who is getting paid to do this provide the actual answers..............as if.

dwwilkin
02-03-2015, 01:21 AM
I think we are having a good debate that has steered away from flaming.

As to building buildings, we haven't had that in the entire series. I just rebooted up RCT 1 to confirm what my dim memory was telling me. You can place pieces of scenery but you can't make a new building. I didn't find any wall pieces. No walls with a door, or a window, or a roof. What am I missing.

But I have to think that we will have scenery placement as we have always had, and which evolved by RCT 3 to use sets of walls and roofs to make a building. Even should we not have Atari sponsored Custom Scenery, we surely as a community would learn how to crack the file system and put our own packs in, though it would be well received if Atari made this easy and available to us from the get go. And then CS would quickly permeate the net. It would give many a reason to model peices on their own time, to set up website depositories that support the game that Atari would not be paying for. The fan base would grow, Park Managers would be trading in the eco-system outside of Atari making the fan base strong and giving free advertising to the game.

I spend x dollars a year to support my RCT 3 site. To still have available all the Small Park Competition files. Others pay to have depositories of CS. All to support a game we don't get paid for like Atari gets that profit. (Though I had another Scenario Guide sell yesterday, Ka-ching. I shrunk that down since I make only a very little, but it every one of the 10 million game owners ordered my guide, then it would be ka-ching :cool: and I'd buy every registered person on the Forums as of right now a copy of RCTW. Im that kinduva guy.)

Indiglow
02-03-2015, 02:23 AM
It's really simple:

If for whatever ridiculous reason they don't do custom scenery (and the world explodes)...

...then the community will make it. No matter what, the community will have custom scenery. It can't be stopped. It will be modded no matter what.

The whole thing of worrying about custom scenery just makes no sense. It makes it into the game no matter what. There's no other discussion to be had on it.

dwwilkin
02-03-2015, 02:35 AM
Well Indi, think about it for another half second. If we have all this discussion, perhaps Atari will decide to make it easy for us to get custom scenery into the game and even provide us the tools that we need to get it into the game. Even confirming that they are going to do so.

Or not.

We are expending a lot of type and time on other issues that will or wont, could or cant, cause Park Managers to buy or to state they won't as well.

Wabigbear
02-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Trees have been shown in screenshots.

Peeps have been shown in screenshots.

Paths have been shown in screenshots, and discussed in the blog.

Money hasn't been shown nor discussed, but since it's a Tycoon game it's fairly safe to assume it will exist.

The use on in-game walls/roofs/etc. to create one's own structures has NOT been seen in any screenshot to date, nor has it been discussed in any blog. As dwwilkin confirmed, such pieces didn't exist in RCT1.

If someone wants to make their own assumption that such pieces will exist in the new game, they are free to do so. But belittling others for raising the question is uncalled for. If you don't think there's anything else to discuss, then don't.

Sam223
02-03-2015, 08:26 AM
You could build your own buildings in rct1.They were done with the land tool. In RCT CF & LL (i think both,maybe just LL) they added additional non landscaping walls and terrain .Plastered walls,roof tile ground,thatched wood ground texture and the neon grid ground textures.

CoasterKing84
02-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Mattlab -

Overall, Blog Post #2 is disappointing. Please have the people that approve your texts spend some time in the forums to get an idea of what it is we want to know.

The overall tone is too positive, too much like a cheerleader. Sounds like I know you were just diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, but let's look on the bright side! Or worse, it sounds like a used car salesman. If you have to put that much positive spin to sell this to the dedicated fans, then you must be really worried about the state of the project.

Placing and rotating buildings could not be easier. Rotating was very easy in RCT3 by pressing the Z key -which I would expect you to know if you had actually played RCT3 for any length of time.
Paths are simply painted on, lowering the number of clicks required. The same thing could be said of RCT3. How is this news or informative?
move it without needing to bulldoze it. Very nice. Very minor. Hardly news. Still nice though.

The rest of the post is marketing-speak. Some of it really hurts your credibility:

...we plan to have live stream sessions... Based on this blog, I predict these will be almost-real-time marketing spin sessions more than anything else.
There is more to choose from (to build) than ever before. I'll believe it when I see it. With Soaked and Wild! installed, RCT3 has around 1380 things that can be built. (Start the Scenario Editor, and count the listed inventions). Obviously RCTW won't release with that much content.
...each time I play the game I discover a new ride, scenery object, or coaster type that I did not see last time I played! My initial thought was how disappointing you felt you had to say that. Followed by Wow, There is so little to the game right now that with each new daily build you are able to notice new items.
Attractions on the other hand, another new element. These are nothing new. RCT3 had all the rides you listed and more. RCT1 and 2 had 'indoor rides' also. It would have been better to say that now they are separated into their own list to find easier in the interface. Touting something old as something new, as you did, appears deceitful.

Screenshots - you had even mentioned in another post that you were trying to pick some out. What happened?

Well said I can't think of anything to add since you basically covered it all!!

SendhyJaya
02-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Hey, Mattlab! What are the system requirements for RollerCoaster Tycoon World?

warly
02-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Mattlab -

agreed with most of it. the post is way to "we have nothing but it's going to be freaking awesome (i hope)"
but there's one point you got wrong which are indeed news:

- Paths are simply painted on, lowering the number of clicks required. The same thing could be said of RCT3. How is this news or informative?

in RCT3 you had to bulldoze a path if you want to use a different one. so now you can change that on the fly. But still a minor news as the bulldoze stuff.

BeerWhiskers
02-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Warly-

I hope you are right about the paths. My interpretation was that you could click and drag to place paths, which can be done in RCT3. This could be described as painting on paths. I didn't see it in the context of not having to bulldoze.

warly
02-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Uh, now that i read the blog post again you might be right after all.
At least take it as a suggestion :)

dwwilkin
02-03-2015, 11:10 AM
You could build your own buildings in rct1.They were done with the land tool. In RCT CF & LL (i think both,maybe just LL) they added additional non landscaping walls and terrain .Plastered walls,roof tile ground,thatched wood ground texture and the neon grid ground textures.

I never did that... Do you have any pics you can post? It sounds like a great deal more work to come up with something than RCT 3

BigDaddy
02-03-2015, 12:45 PM
...then the community will make it. No matter what, the community will have custom scenery. It can't be stopped. It will be modded no matter what.

The whole thing of worrying about custom scenery just makes no sense. It makes it into the game no matter what. There's no other discussion to be had on it. Developers can either make it relatively simple to mod, as was the case in earlier RCT, or make it a very difficult. To say, every program out there can be easily hacked and modded etc, simply isnt true. It takes two to tango if modding is going to be anywhere near as efficient as it could or should be. The graphics we are talking about today are not the same 2d sprites of over a decade ago. Persistent online servers, etc... things arent so simple as they used to be.

So the question remains, are the buildings made to be created via subsets, are they interchangeable, is the code being written and the graphics system in place with future modders in mind? It's a simple question.

mb1.0.2
02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
I think the reason I'm worried about individual wall/roof pieces being used to create structures is this line:

Placing and rotating buildings could not be simpler.

Placing =/= Building. That's two very different things. You place scenery pieces (like the animatronics or trees, rocks, what have you), but you BUILD structures: a gift shop, a restaurant, etc. Rotating potentially 100's of individual pieces that create my, let's say, Quick-Service Restaurant doesn't seem like an easy feat. I know of a game that's tried it and failed rather terribly. Placing and rotating are two words that don't, in my eyes, read as what we've grown accustomed to in RCT3.

And while we rail on this Dev Blog, we do so because these words appear to be chosen carefully. This is marketing speak at its finest. I wouldn't be surprised if place was intentionally used instead of build if all we're getting are ploppable, already completed buildings.

Wabigbear
02-03-2015, 02:39 PM

I remember those days! Actually some of the textures weren't half bad, the wooden board cliff texture was recolorable if I recall, so you could make a nice western looking town by pitching the land at an angle to form roofs, and the tunneling to create doors.

darkhorizon
02-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Another thing that has me worried is the fact that neither Mattlab nor anyone at Atari is addressing this. Just a quick look at Mattlab's profile shows he's been online today, and I refuse to believe he hasn't noticed this huge storm in this thread. I'm sure it's not his fault, as he probably needs permission from his higher-up before releasing such "info"...but if this is such a basic feature and this "argument is just absurd" then there should be no issue with Mattlab posting "yes, you can still construct your own stuctures". We aren't looking for reassurance from other forum members who are speculating just as much as we are, I want to hear it from the devs themselves.

Hanazakari86
02-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Mattlab
I don't really care about wild,,,, its not interesting
but plz plz plz add soaked Expansion

king_austin95
02-03-2015, 06:11 PM
i really don't give a sh!t if you can build custom stuff or not and i would honestly rather just have ploppable stuff. all of you need to quit freaking whining about it. i could care less

dwwilkin
02-03-2015, 06:18 PM
See, the community is so big it is like a three person committee where there is your opinion, the army's opinion and the right opinion (mine) :D

king_austin95
02-03-2015, 06:54 PM
you can't say your opinion is the right opinion because that's your OPINION. not a fact

Sam223
02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
I never did that... Do you have any pics you can post? It sounds like a great deal more work to come up with something than RCT 3

It was easy to do but very limited in terms of textures and shaping. You had to get creative with paths,fences,objects and track pieces to fully explore an idea.
http://www.nedesigns.com/uploads/screens/1428/1428.png
http://www.nedesigns.com/uploads/screens/1524/1524.png

RCTW1
02-03-2015, 07:26 PM
People need to remember that RCTW is not being made for any one interest group, nor should it ever be.

Some people might like an attribute that others don't like and Some people may not like an attribute that others do like.

0BobTheJanitor
02-03-2015, 07:33 PM
If I remember, buildings came with d̶e̶l̶u̶x̶e̶- loopy landscapes in the original.

Sam223
02-03-2015, 07:41 PM
If I remember, buildings came with deluxe in the original.
They were in from the very start,just expanded the textures with each expansion CD.Deluxe was the original game + both expansions in one.

syfy2k4
02-03-2015, 09:38 PM
see, this is pathetic. they claim to read this, so logically they should see the direction this is turning. now, a smart developer or Community Manager from a different game would have stepped in by now and done his/her best to alleviate the peoples concerns and put out the fire before it grows any bigger.

but instead, we get nothing but silence from the only people who can possibly answer the questions. some would say that consent by silence could be seen as endorsing potential flame wars, which are already smouldering and just need one poorly worded post to fan them into a raging inferno.

i don't care either way, my rallying cry in here is more about communication and accountability. and until they FINALLY realize the benefits of those key ingredients, this forum will continue to be what it is now, which is to no ones benefit and is rapidly becoming a joke among the gaming communities out there.

but hey, what do i know about making a game and talking to it's fans? i'm just a consumer, whose money they need. it's not like there are other games out there made by companies who actually communicate, with Devs who are active in the forums and a very minimal amount of horse puckey...........

EmSay
02-04-2015, 05:10 AM
see, this is pathetic. they claim to read this, so logically they should see the direction this is turning. now, a smart developer or Community Manager from a different game would have stepped in by now and done his/her best to alleviate the peoples concerns and put out the fire before it grows any bigger.

but instead, we get nothing but silence from the only people who can possibly answer the questions. some would say that consent by silence could be seen as endorsing potential flame wars, which are already smouldering and just need one poorly worded post to fan them into a raging inferno.

i don't care either way, my rallying cry in here is more about communication and accountability. and until they FINALLY realize the benefits of those key ingredients, this forum will continue to be what it is now, which is to no ones benefit and is rapidly becoming a joke among the gaming communities out there.

but hey, what do i know about making a game and talking to it's fans? i'm just a consumer, whose money they need. it's not like there are other games out there made by companies who actually communicate, with Devs who are active in the forums and a very minimal amount of horse puckey...........

I couldn't agree more.
This begin to become a Shame...

Mattlab
02-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been able to get on earlier but its been a crazy week, working on some video... But anyways, I wanted to share that we will touch upon the custom scenery discussion in our upcoming dev blog (scheduled for later this week). We know its a super hot topic and you can be rest assured that we are building the game fans want and one that will do the franchise right. That said its a HUGE game and there are a ton of moving parts so any feature we implement we want to make sure we can do it right. Its in our plan. More on it, on Friday.

I will also note that, for a number of different reasons, we can't always respond to every question, comment, or feature request but this is one that is big and important enough that we want to make sure it is addressed and our community put at ease. Please be assured that we are here and we reading, listening, and responding as much as possible!

Cheers,
Mattlab

dwwilkin
02-04-2015, 03:56 PM
I put on my psychic fortune teller hat and predict that if A) Custom Scenery is coming, or B) Custom Scenery is not, the amount of posts in the forums dedicated to Custom Scenery, either way, will double

:)

Noxue
02-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the message, I don't think there is any reason to be worried now. I know not everyone likes it that we know so little but I like it that at this point we can get excited by any picture or screenshot. But that's just my personal opinion.

Thompso
02-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Can you talk about Peeps AI improvement in a future Blog? MattLab?

sanctus
02-04-2015, 05:46 PM
hi all,

sorry i haven't been able to get on earlier but its been a crazy week, working on some video... But anyways, i wanted to share that we will touch upon the custom scenery discussion in our upcoming dev blog (scheduled for later this week). We know its a super hot topic and you can be rest assured that we are building the game fans want and one that will do the franchise right. That said its a huge game and there are a ton of moving parts so any feature we implement we want to make sure we can do it right. Its in our plan. More on it, on friday.

I will also note that, for a number of different reasons, we can't always respond to every question, comment, or feature request but this is one that is big and important enough that we want to make sure it is addressed and our community put at ease. Please be assured that we are here and we reading, listening, and responding as much as possible!

Cheers,
mattlab

greatttttttt

EmSay
02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks to bring a little bit of Hope Matt. ;)

coaster6
02-04-2015, 06:25 PM
ugh i cant believe people were fighting wheteher we would have cs. Remember Atari is not 4 years old;)

Xenocorpse
02-04-2015, 08:05 PM
More on it, on Friday.

AHA! SCHEDULED! That's doing something right!

Future RCT
02-04-2015, 08:22 PM
working on some video...

Woohoo! :D

Sandsh8rk
02-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Again, I feel the need to stress that if you include Custom scenery, FULLY INTEGRATE IT WITH THE STEAM WORKSHOP. It would be the best thing in the world.

Aqua-Chan
02-04-2015, 09:53 PM
That said its a HUGE game and there are a ton of moving parts so any feature we implement we want to make sure we can do it right. Its in our plan.

I think i need a new computer...

king_austin95
02-04-2015, 10:34 PM
I think i need a new computer...

....me too. lol

DonSPa
02-05-2015, 02:58 AM
im hoping we have at least what we had in rct3 soaked n wild but with more additions and be able to have a huge park w/o it crashing

Kmorreison
02-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Need one theme called "Real Parks" i love too pirates, space and more themes... but need REAL attractions theme.

Kmorreison
02-05-2015, 04:20 AM
Woohoo! :D

If this video same a first video... i cant understand really why that ghost mode.

jey224
02-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Need one theme called "Real Parks" i love too pirates, space and more themes... but need REAL attractions theme.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that it has been said that the Real/Generic theme is americana. So no need to worry, its going to be in there ( I think ).

GoobyPls
02-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Thank you Matt for sharing a bit of information :)
I would like to hear a statement from you concerning the hot discussed plopping down vs. "real building" topic.
Will we get walls and Tiles or just premade buildings?

king_austin95
02-05-2015, 01:25 PM
i could care less if we got ploppable prebuilt buildings or not. i would honestly rather them be prebuilt and ploppable because i don't like building them myself. its too difficult and time consuming

amillionpictures
02-05-2015, 03:57 PM
personally I am hoping for more "real building", just give us the tools and let the true creatives out there have at it!!

a-can-o-beans
02-05-2015, 05:13 PM
i could care less if we got ploppable prebuilt buildings or not. i would honestly rather them be prebuilt and ploppable because i don't like building them myself. its too difficult and time consuming

i got to be honest you seem like a casual player from the posts ive seen you make. customizing and building structures is a staple in the game. you dont want custom buildings and you want heavily themed trains... have you ever played RCT?

sanctus
02-05-2015, 06:18 PM
i got to be honest you seem like a casual player from the posts ive seen you make. customizing and building structures is a staple in the game. you dont want custom buildings and you want heavily themed trains... have you ever played RCT?

he said he don't like to build in the game, then it means he plays it, I have played all the games and I have the cds since I was a kid and I don't like to build it because of the same reason , if you don't like to do something in the game it doesn't mean you're a fake fan or something like that, just don't hate.

Knobs
02-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Oh boy :) Thank you for keeping us in the front of our chair.
I have been waiting 10 years for a new version of my ALL TIME favorite game.
Please don't mess this up by too tight deadlines. I'll wait a bit longer , just to make sure everyting works as it's supposed to work.

My dreams of future RCT :

- Realism : Smooth spline based coasters like Nolimits coaster simulation.
- POV + Walk around the park ( In every ride, not just the coasters )
- Custom scenery, it's what made RCT the bomb.
- FXB, 3D model import, with textures. So we can start modeling in C4D or Max to make textured shapes, like castles, buildings, scenery assets.
- Food stalls with places to sit,eat and enjoy the scenery.
- Waterpools, with slides, loved to make moutains with thousands of adventure slides.
It was possible in rct3, but a little bit underachieved by the poor customer PC - systems.
We couldn't handle it.
But now everyone has a monster dual core ram filled hypersystem. So beam up those graphic needs :)
- Economics like in rct 1 - 2. The Tycoon must come out again.
- ENORMOUS Vast sandbox mode.It's the way it was meant to play.

I am reading everything i can on the subject, and can't wait untill we get some more view on the actual gameplay/looks/ feels.

All we getting now are artbased renders. Kinda misleading. But awesome and beautiful art... !

KUDOS for bringing back my creative themepark brain. It died for a while.
Thank you. Thank you so much.

Knobs
02-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Thank you Matt for sharing a bit of information :)
I would like to hear a statement from you concerning the hot discussed plopping down vs. "real building" topic.
Will we get walls and Tiles or just premade buildings?

Yes !! It was one of the most beloved things in rct ... Making building with tiles and making them just the way you want, to integrate with your track designs.

Since it's a spline based system ( not a 4/4 square grid ? ) , i am holding my heart for what's coming.What are the possibillities.
Maybe there will even be a spline based wall contruction system. WOW. that would just be WOW.
I hope it all works just OK.
Because no one wants 10 times the same prefab buildings in their parks.
Making rct user custom based is what the real essence of rct is/was.

king_austin95
02-05-2015, 07:37 PM

i've played and own all three of them. i guess i am more of a casual player. i really don't like having to build my own freaking buildings! i never build buildings when i play because its too hard and time consuming and all i care about are the rides

king_austin95
02-05-2015, 07:39 PM
he said he don't like to build in the game, then it means he plays it, I have played all the games and I have the cds since I was a kid and I don't like to build it because of the same reason , if you don't like to do something in the game it doesn't mean you're a fake fan or something like that, just don't hate.

thank you. you get me

Knobs
02-05-2015, 08:20 PM
I think there are 2 kind of people who play this game.

The ones who like to build fast themeparks, with prefab elements and coasters, and be able to economic manage the park.
And
The ones who like to build everything from scratch, with tons and tons of custom scenery.

Both are equal, and both should be supported in the new rct.

Future RCT
02-05-2015, 08:41 PM

The ones who like to build fast themeparks, with prefab elements and coasters, and be able to economic manage the park.
And
The ones who like to build everything from scratch, with tons and tons of custom scenery.

Agreed. The former is definitely me. I'm much more of a scenario player than a sandbox player.

mb1.0.2
02-05-2015, 09:58 PM

And

Great post. Agreed. Play your way the way you want to play, but let me play the way I've been accustomed to playing. If I can't do the things (within reason) I could with RCT3, then I will simply stick with RCT3.

rhcoaster
02-05-2015, 09:59 PM
New info that RCTW might be released on April 30. https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?1875-New-Screenshot&p=6586&viewfull=1#post6586

king_austin95
02-05-2015, 11:22 PM

And

EXACTLY. i'm the first one

king_austin95
02-05-2015, 11:23 PM

And

i do like building my own coasters though most of the time

warly
02-06-2015, 06:04 AM

And

I'm both of them. Sometimes i like to reach gold status as fast as possible and sometimes i spend days in theming :)

cap396
02-06-2015, 06:16 AM
I'm both of them too. When I like to build quick parks and focus on managing, I play RCT2. When I like to build a realistic, detailed looking park, I play RCT3. I hope RCTW will allow both realism (with lots of building customization) and good management features.

CaptainJelle
02-06-2015, 06:34 AM
good post Knobs this qeustion would be good for a Poll!

Heyimkilian
02-06-2015, 12:36 PM
When will there be more information/screens/updates ?

Knobs
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM
When will there be more information/screens/updates ?

Normally today !

alzo93
02-06-2015, 02:39 PM
I decided to check the Bandai Namco website, the company that will be publishing the game in the EU and elsewhere and this is what it says about the game;

Description

Create, build, and expand the greatest amusement park in RollerCoaster Tycoon World! The newest and most innovative addition in the beloved simulation franchise is packed with thrilling, fun-filled features including an intuitive 3D track builder, deformable terrain, realistic coaster physics, and the ability to share your creations. Players can also team-up with friends from around the globe to form a theme park corporation to compete with others worldwide. Experience the ride of your life as you customize incredible coasters, entertain your park guests and create stomach-churning corkscrews and become the world’s next RollerCoaster Tycoon!

Features

Innovative Track Builder
First-Time 3D Builder!
Full Selection of Pre-Built Park Assets
Ride Your Coasters
Online and Single Player Modes
Run a Theme Park Corporation
Play with Friends
Visit Other Parks
Deformable Terrain
Steam Trading Cards
And Of Course, Full Park Management

What I don't like about the info they provide is 'Full Selection of Pre-Built Park Assets'. I'd like for either Atari or Area 52 to elaborate on this further and explain if we can build our own structures.

SOURCE: http://www.bandainamcogames.eu/product/rollercoaster-tycoon-world/pc

ncutt010
02-06-2015, 03:53 PM
I decided to check the Bandai Namco website, the company that will be publishing the game in the EU and elsewhere and this is what it says about the game;

Description

Create, build, and expand the greatest amusement park in RollerCoaster Tycoon World! The newest and most innovative addition in the beloved simulation franchise is packed with thrilling, fun-filled features including an intuitive 3D track builder, deformable terrain, realistic coaster physics, and the ability to share your creations. Players can also team-up with friends from around the globe to form a theme park corporation to compete with others worldwide. Experience the ride of your life as you customize incredible coasters, entertain your park guests and create stomach-churning corkscrews and become the world’s next RollerCoaster Tycoon!

Features

Innovative Track Builder
First-Time 3D Builder!
Full Selection of Pre-Built Park Assets
Ride Your Coasters
Online and Single Player Modes
Run a Theme Park Corporation
Play with Friends
Visit Other Parks
Deformable Terrain
Steam Trading Cards
And Of Course, Full Park Management

What I don't like about the info they provide is 'Full Selection of Pre-Built Park Assets'. I'd like for either Atari or Area 52 to elaborate on this further and explain if we can build our own structures.

SOURCE: http://www.bandainamcogames.eu/product/rollercoaster-tycoon-world/pc

That's word from word the same info on the rct coming soon page...no need to link that other page as this is nothing new

According to MATLAB we will learn more tonight about custom scenery....keep checking the forums

AnonymousAlex
02-06-2015, 04:17 PM
You guys are doing a fantastic job and I'm a huge RCT fan and am very excited! There's just one thing I'm not clear on... is there going to be some sort of halloween/spooky theme? Please please please tell me there will be an adequate amount of spooky themed rides, attractions and props!!!

RCTLOVER
02-06-2015, 04:36 PM
I can tell that if the supports are really in the game, you are gonna have some happy fans.

Mattlab
02-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Phew what a busy crazy day and its not over yet! Blog post is almost done - just some final editing and the screenshot has just been captured! Super excited to share it the progress. Got a nice new 4K monitor plugged in at my desk now and get to see this game in beautiful HD!

Fuzzfinger
02-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Phew what a busy crazy day and its not over yet! Blog post is almost done - just some final editing and the screenshot has just been captured! Super excited to share it the progress. Got a nice new 4K monitor plugged in at my desk now and get to see this game in beautiful HD!

GO GO GO!! But feel free to capture some more screens while you're at your desk :D

Knobs
02-06-2015, 06:48 PM

Perfect!! It's already midnight here in belgium :-) hopefully you have some good news for us :-)

Stefan
02-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah, please give us at least two screenshots. Keep up the good work!

EmSay
02-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks a lot Matt, for keeping us up to date.:D

Bertje
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
We appreciate your hard work Matt! Been refreshing the website all day, can't wait!

ExtraCheese
02-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Oh wow! This is really exciting :D. I really hope the post will be online within an hour from now... I'ts 0.02 here and I really would like to read it before I go to sleep

Knobs
02-06-2015, 07:08 PM
I know how you feel haha !

Marvin
02-06-2015, 07:26 PM

Good to hear. Btw, we can handle more than one screenshot! More than one would be really nice :D

0BobTheJanitor
02-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Nice tease :p

sanctus
02-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Great, 2 screenshots are better than 1 ;)

Knobs
02-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Cmoooooon :-) teasing all the way !!!

Mattlab
02-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Formatting and getting ready to post!

jackk
02-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Matt, I hope this blog is worth it.

Mattlab
02-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Dangit the screen is too hi-res! Maximum upload size achieved haha. Need to reduce.

ExtraCheese
02-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Wow, I surely can't go to bed now! This tease is too much Matt!!!

Marvin
Dangit the screen is too hi-res! Maximum upload size achieved haha. Need to reduce.

So there's only one screenshot? Sigh...

Still excited for this blog post.

jackk

http://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Glee1.gif

EmSay
Matt, I hope this blog is worth it.

LOL, Even if I Agree. I can't lie, I've been waiting for this one...i don't know why. I feel it good

jackk
02-06-2015, 08:29 PM
LOL, Even if I Agree. I can't lie, I've been waiting for this one...i don't know why. I feel it good

I hope the screen shot is a roller coaster. Or else.. Wow, I don't know what I will do.

Knobs
02-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Haha , i'm losing so much sleep over this one hihi. Better be worth it :-) guess i'm not the only one :-)

ExtraCheese
02-06-2015, 08:33 PM
I hope the screen shot is a roller coaster. Or else.. Wow, I don't know what I will do.

The blog should be about rollercoasters. If the screenshot is not having a rollercoaster in it, i'm about to kill someone

jackk
02-06-2015, 08:35 PM
The blog should be about rollercoasters. If the screenshot is not having a rollercoaster in it, i'm about to kill someone

Or if its a screen that has been been cropped to a tiny track section, like a "teaser" of what the tracks will look like... Watch out.

jackk
02-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Hurry up matt omg

Marvin
02-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I have a feeling he'll post it at 7:41 EST (less than 5 minutes away) since the other ones were posted at 5:41 and 9:41 (my time)...

jackk
02-06-2015, 08:39 PM
I have a feeling he'll post it at 7:41 EST (less than 5 minutes away) since the other ones were posted at 5:41 and 9:41 (my time)...

I am really hoping so.