PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog Post #1

Mattlab
01-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Discuss Atari's First Production Blog announcement found here http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog/

Hi RollerCoaster Tycoon Fans, I’m “Mattlab”, Atari’s Executive Producer on RollerCoaster Tycoon World.

As the producer of RollerCoaster Tycoon World, my job is to lead the work on the game with the help of our awesome crew from Atari, the AAA development team at Area 52 Games, and of course, our dedicated RCT fans. A longtime fan of RCT myself, I am honored to help the team take on the next iteration of the beloved franchise. RCT is in fact what brought me to Atari so many years ago. In all, we have built a fantastic team of industry experts, who are fans themselves, ensuring that this new game will bring the franchise to a whole new level.

To get a sense of what our plans are, here is a sneak preview into the world of team RCTW:

We have spent a lot of time thinking about what this game means. With that in mind, we have focused our effort around 4 main foundations: Designing, Building, Playing and Sharing.

Designing

In our first production blog, we will talk about “Designing”. This starts with terrain and scenery – elevating how important these two are now in the game.

We have spent a considerable amount of time designing a map and terrain generator that let players set their game in a variety of environments. You’ll never start with the same setting twice! Our special map tool ensures that players can randomly generate terrain that is fun and yet presents unique design challenges. Having played with it here at Atari HQ we can say it really creates some stunning locations and allows for things to be created that were simply not possible in previous games.

While new challenges and maps are always fun, this new terrain system has also allowed us to create an amazing new in-game terrain editing tool. Imagine being met with rolling hills or large mountains right in the middle of your park! With our new tool you will be able to shape these almost any way you like. The tool is completely brush-based. Think of it like painting your new terrain as you adjust various sliders and brush types to bring your vision to life. It will be one of the first things we hope to be able to share with players during our Closed Alphas (more on how to get in in a later post).

All before you ever let a single peep into your park we have allowed players to create some of the most dynamic and amazing environments ever. With so many rides, attractions, coasters, and scenery objects to choose from, players will have endless varied ways to have fun and design their dream parks.

What’s Next:
This is where things get really exciting! Now, we get to start sharing what we have made with the world. Be sure to sign up for our Newsletter and Forums to stay tuned to all future dev blogs, news, press releases, contests, beta programs and more. We monitor our forums every day and we ask that you join them and continue to post and engage with the community. We will make sure to pull questions from there when we can and focus our blogs around answering as many as possible as we head towards launch!

Until then though… here is a little teaser screenshot of one of our new flat rides!
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/FerrisWheel_new_02-400x300.jpg
RollerCoaster Tycoon World Ferris Wheel Flat Ride with placeholder grass.

Cheers,
“Mattlab”
Atari Executive Producer (RCTW)

a-can-o-beans
01-16-2015, 06:47 PM
am excited to see what the future holds. am excited as well about random map generation as well as being able to customize. only complaint is that this ferris wheel looks exactly the same as the giant one in RCT3. except now with better loading platform i guess.

Bertje
01-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Glad to hear from you guys again. Looking good!

Looking forward to the next blogs!

coaster6
01-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Looks great!!

Indiglow
01-16-2015, 06:51 PM
......Maybe I am missing something here, but you didn't present any answers to any questions anyone had and you didn't introduce anything new.
We've already seen that ride/screenshot before.

Here's hoping blog 2 presents us with some info that we don't already know...

RCTLOVER
01-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Im glad you guys are updating the fans more often...the pic looks amazing! Hoping we can see a rollercoaster very soon!

Mattlab
01-16-2015, 06:57 PM
......Maybe I am missing something here, but you didn't present any answers to any questions anyone had and you didn't introduce anything new.

In fact, blog #2 will focus on Building and I plan to talk about the Coaster Editor and how it will work among a few other very cool things that we have not yet discussed...The blogs will first focus on all the major foundations and then we will get into specifics.

davadude
01-16-2015, 06:57 PM
An update, yay! Interested about the closed alpha.

Indiglow
01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
In fact, blog #2 will focus on Building and I plan to talk about the Coaster Editor and how it will work among a few other very cool things that we have not yet discussed...The blogs will first focus on all the major foundations and then we will get into specifics.

okay, gotcha. Sounds promising, thanks!

a-can-o-beans
01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
how often can we expect a dev blog?

vilmer
01-16-2015, 07:02 PM
When will the second blog come? I'm soooo excited for this game :D

AUS_Twisted
01-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Good to see a update, do you have a higher res screenshot of the wheel?

EuroMaster2008
01-16-2015, 07:04 PM
And the next big question! When is the release date announcement, early 2015 ends on 31st of March.

BenVenn
01-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks Matt! Loved seeing this insight into the development process. Looking forward to see more!

Fuzzfinger
01-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Lol it took a month to type a one paragraph update that is filled with bad grammar and very little new information.

If this was a troll update then 8/10 for effort, you got my goat up :)

Fuzz

XMrTimeX
01-16-2015, 07:07 PM
I am so hyped about this game, played the hell out of RCT 1-3. The pics look amazing and im hoping for future updates.
Also when and where can you sing-up for the beta tests?
Thanks very much for making a awesome Game.

RCTW1
01-16-2015, 07:14 PM
And the next big question! When is the release date announcement, early 2015 ends on 31st of March.

If RCTW does get released by that time, it will be a miracle. But don't expect it to happen that soon.

ptow21
01-16-2015, 07:15 PM
I am excited to see what capabilities RTCW has to offer. I am very interested in learning more about the multiplayer characteristics and how players will interact with another. One thing that I remember from RTC 3 was building a park with my friend and taking turns making edits and adding new attractions. I've always thought it would be real neat if we both could work on one park simultaneously from two separate computers. That has been something that I have been crossing my fingers for. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't an option...

Thanks for the updates,
Preston

BenVenn
01-16-2015, 07:15 PM
I would much rather wait a month for a game I'll love forever than get an earlier game that I'll love for a month

LooseKid187
01-16-2015, 07:17 PM
hopefully this will be a Friday blog post :)

im not worried about this game, im quite happpy to hear about the terrain and see new screenshots of rides.

cant wait to hear and see more!! :)

owlyoop
01-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Love to hear news of a random terrain generator. Will tunnels be in the game? It was bAd how in rct3 just destroyed huge blocks of terrain if you tried to build underground. Also no undo button :(

Liam.
01-16-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm inherently disappointed.Not only because that is a "render" or ingame shot or what have you back from when Pipeworks was at the helm, but because you've toted how important your terrain tool has become. I haven't seen anything new, for months, all you've done is rehashed an object from a trailer image and something readily available in RCT3. Add to that it took you roughly a month to create a blog post, with a single in-game asset. I mean really, you're a AAA developer, come on guys.

Please, someone fire your PR manager, because any potential hype you've tried to create is beginning to die.

Paul_Boland
01-16-2015, 08:32 PM
I really like the screenshot and really like what the blog shared. I'm looking forward to signing up to be part of the ALPHA's and BETA's if I get picked.

Sandsh8rk
01-16-2015, 08:40 PM
About time you guys did a blog post...I am interested to see what can be done with the new terrain features...
I'm more keen on the closed Alpha! I would love to be a part of that!

pwnivia
01-16-2015, 08:41 PM
As excited as I am for RCTW, everything you described in that post already exists in RCT3. People prefer RCT2 partly because how easy it is to create cohesive designs. With a hard grid system, there is no need to align terrain, scenery, and rides, things just work. Rolling terrain and paintbrushes look and sound great, but it can get way too complicated. What are you doing to make it easier to control the terrain as compared to RCT3?

BigDaddy
01-16-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm inherently disappointed.Not only because that is a "render" or ingame shot or what have you back from when Pipeworks was at the helm, but because you've toted how important your terrain tool has become. I haven't seen anything new, for months, all you've done is rehashed an object from a trailer image and something readily available in RCT3. Add to that it took you roughly a month to create a blog post, with a single in-game asset. I mean really, you're a AAA developer, come on guys.
+1

To be honest, this update is bordering on pathetic. How about telling us what upgrades over terrain have been made from RCT3 to RCTW? Why not treat your gaming public like adults and address why Pipeworks has left and what it means to the development cycle. ( hey if your lawyers say you cant talk about, at least tell us that) I mean what did this blog take you? all of 10 minutes? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just someone who has been around the block a few times on both sides of this, and to be honest, you are blowing this IMHO. How hard is it to simply take a few minutes and share your ideas with your customer base?

We have spent a lot of time thinking about what this game means. With that in mind, we have focused our effort around 4 main foundations: Designing, Building, Playing and Sharing. This is great, but why would you then just briefly discuss designing, and not the other 3? It would be nice to have one informative discussion, not 4 half ass ones.

RCTW1
01-16-2015, 09:17 PM
+1

To be honest, this update is bordering on pathetic. How about telling us what upgrades over terrain have been made from RCT3 to RCTW? Why not treat your gaming public like adults and address why Pipeworks has left and what it means to the development cycle. ( hey if your lawyers say you cant talk about, at least tell us that) I mean what did this blog take you? all of 10 minutes? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just someone who has been around the block a few times on both sides of this, and to be honest, you are blowing this IMHO. How hard is it to simply take a few minutes and share your ideas with your customer base?

I have to agree. The blog seemed rather empty, especially after changing companies.

Zezima
01-16-2015, 09:19 PM
looks Nice!

ProphetLord420
01-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Empty yeah, I would say lite. But the random terrain! Awesome I have wanted this for so long. Making a park to land I created felt to Godish, I craved some random hills and valleys to force my design down a new path. Kudos!!

Cigfu
01-16-2015, 09:40 PM
First off: all of the people calling for crazy things like sacking the "PR manager" need to really calm down. There's a good chance that a lot of the project simply isn't finished. Out of all the screenshots released we've had like one that shows any from of terrain, so we can simply assume that
1. A lot needs to be finished, dev screenshots generally don't ensure much confidence with people who quickly jump to assume that unfinished work is the completed game. (We saw this with the game's teaser trailer)

2. The developers could be behind scheduled and don't have much to show that isn't just a folder of random scripts. I'm fine with the game being late, and you should too. Remember that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw

However I am a bit skeptical of the developer blog method of communicating with fans. What would be a lot more beneficial is more direct communication with fans though the forum or maybe a Q&A. Developer blogs are more for game journalists to view and it would be a lot more beneficial for the developers to answer reoccurring fan questions and save the blog posts for showcasing finished features.

Liam.
01-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Its less the lack of understanding that video games don't take time, and more the part of the developers believing what they're doing can be construed as an effective way of communicating their game. Tons and tons of effort goes into the creation of the press side of the game, and marketing it as important as product when it comes to selling.

Perhaps its also we were seemingly promised something substantial, not one image and some quickly written text. I don't like being treated as a simpleton, and the way we've gone so far, I feel as though I've been made out to be one.

Thompso
01-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Maybe next time we will get a screen shot of a roller coaster or some peeps.

BigDaddy
01-16-2015, 10:00 PM
The problem as I see it, is some companies still seem to act as if the customer base is some sort of nuisance. As if these forums were just some sort of complaint department or something. Instead what we actually are is this games biggest potential boosters, and in this day of social media, we are also this game potential sales force. Word of mouth, the energy and buzz it creates is what makes games get attention today. Bloggers, you tubers, respected writers, forum participants, tweeters, this is who we are. We are here asking, begging for info to get excited about and help spread the word around, WE are the social media universe, but YET, companies still dont get it.

In a world where up to 5000 apps are being released A WEEK, and hundreds of games are being released on steam each month, if they think they can do this without us, they are sadly mistaken.

Atari, you have sold off just about all your great licenses, but here with RCT you still have one of your greatest, One of the best video game franchises in Gaming history, let us help. Share with us, let us be part of this, otherwise you'll just get lost in the crowd, like so many others every single month. We are here to help, so please stop acting like we are some chore you have to do every once in awhile.

0BobTheJanitor
01-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Let's look at the positives... People were complaining about the grass textures, and that's now been confirmed as placeholder... But nothing else really...
I'm not sure who to blame? Area52? Marketing (They've murdered many games in the past)? Budget?

Hopefully these devlogs get better, as the only thing really announced this post was a feature from RCT3 (That I'm sure is improved, but not an entire lot was elaborated), and an already released photo. When Mattlab said devlog, I assumed he meant we'd receive a rundown of development, with what worked and what didn't work, and maybe a few surprises that we'd have to wait and see. But it wasn't. It now seems like most of the promises done are shallow, and empty. And this isn't really a devlog, just an announcement of what we may expect in RCTW. This game needs to be delayed to sort out many of the issues between Area52 and Atari. I'm not being ungrateful, but instead setting a higher expectation.

Oh and this taking a month to write is... decent. I mean, companies are complicated, so this taking a bit longer to write is acceptable, but trying to meet big business agendas is why I am leaning to blame Atari's marketing for what is happening to this game. For all we know, Area52 could have wanted to do there own thing, but Atari forced them to do it another way, with a community manager, and forcing the development team to be silent. Hopefully this is not the case, and just a bumpy start for the new game-company, that we, by the way, still know nothing about.

edit: We did learn the stage RCTW is in, that being a closed alpha:

It will be one of the first things we hope to be able to share with players during our Closed Alphas (more on how to get in in a later post).

Cigfu
01-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Atari, you have sold off just about all your great licenses, but here with RCT you still have one of your greatest, One of the best video game franchises in Gaming history, let us help. Share with us, let us be part of this, otherwise you'll just get lost in the crowd, like so many others every single month. We are here to help, so please stop acting like we are some chore you have to do every once in awhile.

I agree with this a lot, thanks for keeping civil.
There has been a big problem when it comes to communication between the community and the developers. It could come back and hurt Atari if they don't listen to the community, but an undertow of anger isn't going to help anything.
Everyone needs to be more civil and more mature when it comes to the forums. Remember, nobody has deleted posts that question the developers, many companies would never allow something like that. Hats of to Atari for not being BioWare.

dwwilkin
01-16-2015, 10:28 PM
While I appreciate that Matt has a structured release schedule, more information sharing how things work in this "design" blog post could have been forthcoming.

Predominantly we were given a taste of Terrain. But an example of the how was lacking. It was a concept that putting into words probably did not do justice.

What leaves me pausing though is the statement that each time you play the park will be different. What if I want to compete against others and so want us all to start with the same park conditions? Or I want to replay a park condition over and over?

Is it like Banished, perhaps, where a code delineates the map. You use that code and the map will be the same each time? Or will the map truly change each time you play the game? Then because of the nature of the paint brush, once the park opens, do you pay for terrain scaping? Or if there is a random mountain in the middle of your park, how high? What property developer, when building a theme park would work on land with such a feature knowing that the usable space to construct rides will be so much less because of it.

CoasterMadness
01-16-2015, 10:34 PM
I have to agree with Liam and BigDaddy on this one. The blog seemed a little rushed and I would have enjoyed more information. I would also call on Atari and Area52 to not only interact more with us (the fans/future buyers of this product) but to let us help you guys to make this game the best RCT ever. I have spent a while with the Roller coaster tycoon community and can say that you have at your fingertips not only a loyal fan base; but also one that encompasses people who know a lot about theme parks, and rides, etc. I can not say that Atari or Area52 are treating their interactions with us like a chore, but I do hope they will allow us to help more.

Gravity
01-17-2015, 12:25 AM
I concur. This 'devlog' is a joke.

You invited your fan base back to these forums, then pretty much abandon any flow of news...

...then we get this? You're really screwing the pooch with this thing, guys. Let me know when you actually have something for me to look at, until then, I'll be in NoLimits 2.

0BobTheJanitor
01-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Mattlab is the only one who visits these forums? Where's the rest of the team?

AUS_Twisted
01-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Here's a higher res shot of the Ferris Wheel I found ;)

http://0f263a1aeaecc2c7e55c-d6d1e91833d4a5aea80657854029c137.r39.cf2.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/FerrisWheel_new_02.jpg

Crisps
01-17-2015, 02:26 AM
I mean, if you break this photo down, there is a possibility of great things... for instance... if it's possible to customize this at its base, than I'm extremely excited. I like that there are two entrances and exits; however, I am really hoping the queue line can be customizable... just like everything else. I mean max customization. The RCT has been extremely limited in the past, and that's what's hurt the game the most. The less limits in this game, the better=the more I will be willing to buy this product. Also... Not digging that rather large greyish blue structure behind the ride itself.. What is that even suppose to be?

warly
01-17-2015, 02:37 AM
To be honest, the blog post doesn't seem to be finished. At the beginning he mentioned terraforming and scenery, but than only talks a tiny little bit about terraforming and completely forgets to talk about scenery (at least i supposed "scenery" means theming). And at the end showing us a screenshot completely unrelated. And he's talking about Alpha's...so this game is not in the near of beeing complete. expect a release date for christmas at the earliest, which i'm totally fine with.

Silvarret
01-17-2015, 06:07 AM
I'd like to stay positive, I'm glad to see development blogs, and very curious about the alpha!

BenVenn
01-17-2015, 06:09 AM
I'd like to stay positive, I'm glad to see development blogs, and very curious about the alpha!

+1

Very good to see positivity amongst the doubt

Wabigbear
01-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Why do I get the feeling this was something quickly thrown together in an attempt to satisfy the great unwashed masses clamoring for information before they broke out the torches and pitchforks?

If you are going to discuss TWO parts of design that are important, than perhaps actually discuss TWO parts? We heard about terrain, but there's no screen to illustrate anything, and the description sounds a lot like what we already have in RCT3. But then the second part - scenery - is skipped altogether. Then to toss in a screenshot of something that has nothing to do with the topic of the blog (even worse, something already seen, similar to what's already in RCT3, and darn near thumbnail size too boot?) just seems rushed. Sorry.

Disappointing, especially after weeks of silence. But I'm sure the next one will be better and this can get back on track to becoming what you - and we - want it to be.

yorick
01-17-2015, 07:26 AM
thank you for making the attraction much 'greener'
in rct3, it was grey and boring like in the picture

Pierre
01-17-2015, 07:40 AM
I am very exited!!!!! :D

Venus
01-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks for posting, was a good read!
Can't wait for future blog posts! :)

warly
01-17-2015, 08:44 AM
thank you for making the attraction much 'greener'
in rct3, it was grey and boring like in the picture

thanks for sharing this screenshot, it shows how much the graphics have improved since RCT3. I never liked the rectangular base of all flat rides and it seems to has been gone for good :D

MadSemtex
01-17-2015, 09:24 AM
Can't wait for the next blog post. It's good to see some updates about the game

RCTFan
01-17-2015, 09:30 AM
thanks for news!

mb1.0.2
01-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Color me unimpressed thus far. I have yet to see a reason why this title will make me jump ship from RCT3. Simply being "the next game in the series" isn't enough. You have to actually change and improve it in dramatic ways. Random terrain generator, while neat, isn't cutting it. Not to mention the rushed nature of the post. And that Ferris wheel looks atrocious. There are ones made for RCT3 by the community that looks loads better than that.

It's funny: each time the people actually making this game open their mouths, I get less and less excited for it. Shouldn't it be the opposite?

NickNem
01-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Hmmm...not exactly overwhelming news. Okay we're able to terraform, thats good, but nearly every simulation game (RCT3 included) has that feature. And a picture of a ferris-wheel (we've already seen) isn't as groundbreaking as you made it sound. It would be nice to see real screenshots of a park, or at least a pic of a rollercoaster, log flume or something like that. Okay, maybe the next developer-posts will be more interesting

WadyC
01-17-2015, 11:24 AM
This is so vague... that Ferris Wheel could be a Custom ride from RCT3, I expect so much more from next blogs...

SPRidley
01-17-2015, 11:36 AM

This. 0 confidence how the "new" team is working with the game.
They are talking about the terrain tool like if it was the second comming of christ. But instead it sounds like the same brush tool of RCT3 (which im fine with) but with no detail explained. Can we do lakes and waterfalls? What about tunnels?

Also:

All before you ever let a single peep into your park we have allowed players to create some of the most dynamic and amazing environments ever.

Does that mean we can't use the terrain tool after we opened the park? What's this, Sim City 4's no God tools after you enter mayor mode or something? That would be stupid as hell.

BenVenn
01-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Does that mean we can't use the terrain tool after we opened the park? What's this, Sim City 4's no God tools after you enter mayor mode or something? That would be stupid as hell.

I think you're over analyzing the situation. What they're trying to say is that the terrain editor is so powerful that you can do all of these amazing things from the get-go. Atari and Area 52 wouldn't be as bad as to make it so you could never edit your terrain whilst playing. That's one of the main parts of the game

SPRidley
01-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I think you're over analyzing the situation. What they're trying to say is that the terrain editor is so powerful that you can do all of these amazing things from the get-go. Atari and Area 52 wouldn't be as bad as to make it so you could never edit your terrain whilst playing. That's one of the main parts of the game

Overanalyzing? That's their fault for not giving concrete information and being vague. And its funny you think Atari (publisher so they don't have a say on this) or Area52 aren't as bad as to not doing it, when in fact I see Area 52 missing totally the point and doing it (they have 0 games developed by them on their backs as a team, with one cancelled star wars online game, thats not a reassuring portfolio in the slightlest).
As a real game developer, I know how these companies usually work so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't even think they have anything to show right now apart from the work already done by Pipeworks before they were sacked. With other horrible unfinished games released by Atari lately, like Haunted House: Gryptic Graves or, hell, even Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D (it's surprising that they are still alive after the money debacle they had) y have 0 confidence in this product and I will not change of thought until I see something palpable shown by Area 52, with good explanations about how the game really works.

And I really hope im positively surprised in the future, but im not right now.

dezwartejager
01-17-2015, 01:16 PM
what will be nice are youtube videos where you show us like adults how you work with what kind of team so we as customers wil be happy to buy this game and gameplay trailers when finished wil be nice i will buy directly this game then!

alronv
01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the update and really looking forward to this game being released. I will be keeping my eyes out for the next update hope you are managing to keep on release target would love to be trying this game in the next few months. ^^

Taizen
01-17-2015, 02:00 PM
More screenshots please. -__- Is it really that difficult?

Aqua-Chan
01-17-2015, 02:47 PM
You know some of you seem so ungrateful. You all should be happy that we got an update. Isn't that what we all wanted was an update? Hell atleast they told us something about the game as showed us a picture.

Indiglow
01-17-2015, 02:58 PM
You know some of you seem so ungrateful. You all should be happy that we got an update. Isn't that what we all wanted was an update? Hell atleast they told us something about the game as showed us a picture.

It's not really an update...there was almost no new information and they just took the same screenshot from the first video and posted it here as if we have never seen it before....that's where the frustration is coming from.

I guess we will wait for the 2nd blog. If the 2nd blog has no new screenshot or no new info then it's gonna upset a lot more people. Remember, this game is supposed to be released in about 2 months.....

ExtraCheese
01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
My god, everyone here is so negative and ungrateful!
Maybe this will be a weekly blog? And yes, there is a lack of information, but please be glad with everything we get.
I think it looks good in comparison to the RCT3 version. It had a very ugly gray base which didn't really allow you to conceal it within the scenery of your park. I think you can do that very well if all attractions are build up like this.

I love the terrain generator and like the idea about how you can edit the terrain. Of course I have to see it first, but it sounds very positive. I hope there will be a forest generator too!

I can't wait for the next dev blog with hopefully more screenshots and more info / screenshots about rollercoasters. After all, it's called Rollercoaster Tycoon isn't? ;)

PS: I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ALPHA <3!

Wabigbear
01-17-2015, 03:52 PM

But I'd point out it's Atari who needs to interest US in buying THEIR game. They aren't doing all of this out of the kindness of their heart, they are a business. It's in THEIR interest - not OURS - to provide updates, to drive interest, to get us to decide to make a purchase - IF IT'S SOMETHING WE WANT. If the update was lacking - as many people here have pointed out, people can't be expected to just sit quietly and "be happy". Life doesn't work that way. People can, and will, share their opinions and yes, even their disappointment, sometimes strongly.

Atari can use that feedback to make a better product, including their updates about it. I suspect we'll see changes in the next blog, which is only a good thing for us, and Atari.

RCTW1
01-17-2015, 03:57 PM
If it does actually come out in two months I'll be surprised. Nothing against Atari or Area 52, Just being realistic that's all.

gannondork14
01-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Sounds good! I would love to be part of the alpha :)

syfy2k4
01-17-2015, 04:57 PM
you can certainly tell the people who have dealt with previous Atari games and forums from the newbies in here. "you should be grateful, you are all so negative, you're ungrateful"....no people, the Atari veterans are just very familiar with the way things work in an Atari forum, dealing with an upcoming game. Atari has never learned the value of constant contact with the community, of actually making themselves part of the community and being active in the Official forums.

other games i follow have Devs who actually post in the forums, they make jokes, they BS with the people, answer questions and get to know the community. heck, they even log into Twitch and watch the people streaming their game, communicate with them, maybe even join the server and play. and if they spot an issue they have a hotfix ready for Steam in less than a week. and you know what the end result is? the community LOVES that and keeps playing the game, stays involved in the community and brings in new people constantly. what a weird idea.

that ferris wheel is..interesting, i guess. looks like we will need hiking equipment to get up and down the stairs/ramps. especially the actual entrance. that's a bad design there.
why would we go up 2 steep staircases/ramps to walk down to enter the ride?

(oh, and Mattlab, i remember you from the whole TDU2 fiasco. STILL waiting for those promised upgrades to the game that had people spending money on Atari Points microtransaction nonsense to buy the promised upcoming game expansion DLC.)

heschel6
01-17-2015, 05:00 PM
So far so good.

I just want to play the game.
P.S I would love to be in the alpha

BenVenn
01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
you can certainly tell the people who have dealt with previous Atari games and forums from the newbies in here. "you should be grateful, you are all so negative, you're ungrateful"....no people, the Atari veterans are just very familiar with the way things work in an Atari forum, dealing with an upcoming game. Atari has never learned the value of constant contact with the community, of actually making themselves part of the community and being active in the Official forums.

Erm, no not really. I'm an avid fan of Atari and the RCT series. Have been for as long as I can remember. I know of what's happened in the past but the key thing to remember is that this is a brand new development team in terms of Atari and Area 52 working together. You can't judge the outcome of this game until at least one game has been released between the two of them working together.

I know there are a lot of people who for some reason or another dislike Atari or Area 52 for things that have happened (Cancelled games, etc). But that's no excuse for not having an open mind. At the end of the day it's all up to if you want to like the game or not.

mb1.0.2
01-17-2015, 05:12 PM
That's not true. I WANT to like RCTW. I'm tired of playing RCT3...it's how old now? I desperately want to love this game but thus far, I do not like the direction it's headed nor the way it's being presented. I have an open mind, really...I do. But you have to give me something more than an asset from Pipeworks that was shoehorned into a flat ride (as it was originally supposed to be a restaurant), a rickety looking Ferris wheel that looks like a step BACKWARDS from the one in RCT3, and a whole bunch of thus far empty promises. To build up a "HUGE UPDATE" and then to deliver whatever that Dev. Log was is an easy way to turn off a fan base that's hanging on by a thread. We're all here because we want a great RCT game...period. We don't have to gush over the developer and adore every little bone they throw at us, though.

BenVenn
01-17-2015, 05:17 PM
I agree to an extent with you mb. However what I'm trying to get across is that until the game is actually released we won't know for sure if the game will be a step back or not for the series. I very much hope it will be in the right direction. But at the time-being I think I feel it's good to be indifferent and only speak up about something negative if it's been confirmed by the developers. Right now it just seems that people are picking up on things that may have been vaguely communicated (Yes that can be frustrating, and not the kindest of marketing techniques). But all we can do is wait. I'm not saying we should adore the devs, but it's only been a few weeks since the last update since the end of 2014. It's not what I'd call a huge update. I think the hype has just grown exponentially in these few weeks after New Years.

Liam.
01-17-2015, 05:54 PM
BenVenn, we're mad the developers are treating us like a nuisance. The point here is, we're mad and we have a right to be after we were told something "big" was coming.

Its not too early to judge, and its hard not to judge a book by its cover when there isn't a single page inside. We're letting the Devs know we're disappointing by what they've shown us so far, and the people telling us we should be happy we got something, truly don't understand exactly what Atari's track record has been post 2005.

As a game dev, they have to realize, everything will be analyzed over and over again. Thats part of the point of carefully creating a marketing plan, and not throwing together a blog that you hope will tide over the unwashed masses for the time being.

PlanetAlexander
01-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Love to hear the updates! My question is: will we be able to use the terrain editing tools even when the park is open, so we can adjust the terrain for our rides and scenery?

brokenshakles
01-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Whelp, here's to hoping for an eventual Linux/SteamOS release. Please give us a list of platforms you intend to support next update. Note that I only buy Linux games.

syfy2k4
01-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Erm, no not really. I'm an avid fan of Atari and the RCT series. Have been for as long as I can remember. I know of what's happened in the past but the key thing to remember is that this is a brand new development team in terms of Atari and Area 52 working together. You can't judge the outcome of this game until at least one game has been released between the two of them working together.

I know there are a lot of people who for some reason or another dislike Atari or Area 52 for things that have happened (Cancelled games, etc). But that's no excuse for not having an open mind. At the end of the day it's all up to if you want to like the game or not.

as i wrote in a previous post in a different thread...New Atari, Old Atari....who can tell the difference? as mb1.0.2 wrote, i WANT this to be good. i WANT to log hundreds of hours in the game. i WANT to be excited for release day, and i WANT to have actual interaction with the staff and know that they actually read what i wrote because they quoted/corrected me on something.

i'm not judging the Dev team at all, they will have to give me more than 2 pictures before i even attempt to do that. MY issue is with the whole Hands Off approach to the community. maybe i've just been spoiled by the Indie Devs and the way they interact with their customer base.

but until we can rely on consistent interaction with Mattlab, and hopefully a Dev or two, i will continue to assert that Atari has yet to learn the value of ACTUALLY being active in the community, instead of vague semi-promises that they might be around...eventually.

they NEED our money to survive. it really is that simple. so lets make them earn it by treating us as equals in this, and by proving to us that what we say influences what we see in game.

and for goodness sakes, can we FINALLY find out what the Official stance will be on the whole Community made Scenery and/or Tracks will be on this game? turning their back on it, after all that the CS people have done for RCT3, all the money that kept coming in for all this time due to it, would be possibly the dumbest move ever made.

SORAKH2756
01-17-2015, 08:14 PM

I Second this, when exactly is "early 2015"?

cap396
01-17-2015, 08:36 PM
I just hope that the game will support custom and user created scenery, rides and modding. That way, if we don't like the Ferris Wheel or anything else in the game, then we can create our own content.

Anarchy Rules
01-17-2015, 08:40 PM
If RCTW does get released by that time, it will be a miracle. But don't expect it to happen that soon.

early in my opinion implies the first half not the first quarter. so july 31st is when they run out of time. But i do hope for before the 31st of march

PixelPlayer
01-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Early in the industry means Q1 aka up till March.

But given its a vague word its obvious it leaves room for delays, and I'm fine with a delay if it means the game will be better polished when we finally play it.

Indiglow
01-18-2015, 01:32 AM
I think it's safe to say there is no way this game gets released before March 31st.

DragonQuiz
01-18-2015, 02:44 AM
Can't wait. Oh and when does the closed Alpha begin?

BoG_Almere
01-18-2015, 06:52 AM
I don't get most of you guys here on the forums. Almost rioting because there are no updates, and now there is an update and you guys are still crying. I'm happy that Mattlab posted this devlog, not a big update but it's a start. The terrain editor sounds good, here's to hoping it actually works the way it sounds!

Frank
01-18-2015, 07:13 AM
I like to see screenshots, but maybbe with the next blog a little video about the coaster editor. This would make fans more curious.

CreamyBeef
01-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Will there be a sandbox mode? That's my favourite way to play RCT and I would massively disappointed if there wasn't just a plane large park with unlimited money (like in RCT3)

magicart87
01-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Meh.

Hard to get excited over an odd-looking ferris wheel render I've already seen 6 weeks ago.

trickeh2k
01-18-2015, 11:45 AM
After seeing the screenshot from the game...

I've been a fan since the first games I played on my PC and it was one of the best games I've played at that time. Really looking forward to another good RCT game but that resolution and texture quality seems like it's from a game released 10 years ago...

Menno
01-18-2015, 12:54 PM
There are two games I follow(ed) through development: Sim City and RCT and the experience could not have been more different.
Where Sim City had a weekly blog post containing actual information, screen shots and video footage about the games design, game mechanics, artwork and ways to play the game RCT just rehashes the same screenshot every month and released exactly 1 teaser trailer without any actual content.
You can say what you like about Sim City what you like but at least the dev team was involved with the community months before release. Slowly creating a hype by releasing little bits of new information and near the end even entire play through videos.

Now I can imagine that game footage is still hard to come by but you can at least release some concept art or talk elaborate about game mechanics or the different themes. I mean that RCT will have a terrain editor is not exactly news. Maybe you could talk about how it works or show a piece of footage of the editor in action. I only hope it works better than in RCT3 where a bit of terrain editing could screw up paths etc. If you have rolling hills do allow paths/rides/scenery/shops to roll along with them. If you as a dev team don't really have the time/are not that good at it get a dedicated community manager who can pester you once a week for a small interview and then writes the blog on your behalf.

I mean there is a big elephant in the room: changing developers halfway through. Now I don't know much about game design but I'm guessing that usually doesn't mean anything good (I mean you don't switch contractor halfway through when building a house either). Some small explanation would be a good thing.

Bacon Bomb
01-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Sounds great! I can't wait for next weeks and the many more weeks of what the devs will show us! I've got hope in you guys in restoring the glee I had while playing RCT 2 and 3

Mattlab
01-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Love to hear the updates! My question is: will we be able to use the terrain editing tools even when the park is open, so we can adjust the terrain for our rides and scenery?

Yes this is our current plan! You should be able to edit your terrain at all times as that is an important part in designing an amazing theme park.

sam_93
01-18-2015, 06:33 PM
C'mon guys, some of you really need to lighten up and be excited. We're getting a new installment of the game, which I thought was never going to happen! I don't understand why some of you are expecting so much realism, if you want that you should be playing a game more like No Limits. They also have to appeal to a wider audience, as well as taking into account what the fans would like. You can't please everyone!

The game is looking and sounding amazing so far. I can't wait to get more updates.

Indiglow
01-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Yes this is our current plan! You should be able to edit your terrain at all times as that is an important part in designing an amazing theme park.

When can we expect blog #2?

Will we have an open blog where there will be Q&A?

Thompso
01-19-2015, 12:33 AM
It would be nice if we could get a preview of coast cam or animated ride in the next blog :D

ExtraCheese
01-19-2015, 05:54 AM
C'mon guys, some of you really need to lighten up and be excited. We're getting a new installment of the game, which I thought was never going to happen! I don't understand why some of you are expecting so much realism, if you want that you should be playing a game more like No Limits. They also have to appeal to a wider audience, as well as taking into account what the fans would like. You can't please everyone!

The game is looking and sounding amazing so far. I can't wait to get more updates.

Exactly. Good point dude!

Its ok to be critical, but give the guys some support in even creating this game for us. Lets wait and see what happens in the next developers blogs. I'm sure they will show new stuff soon :)

Wabigbear
01-19-2015, 06:44 AM
This is starting to remind me of the old Atari forums back when RCT3 first came out, where anyone who dared raise concerns or questions about the game were pooh-poohed and put down by a bunch of rabid fan-boi's who were wearing rose-colored glasses. There were a number of people in the community who'd been around for years who avoided those forums like the plague for a long time, in good part because of that.

I'd hate to see that happen again.

Rather than putting down those who rightfully express their opinions on what they think maybe lacking, perhaps spend as much energy outlining the huge number of things you see that you can praise? Exactly what is it that you've seen that rates an "amazing" comment? I'm not being snide, I'm truly being curious.

Just as some point out that negative comments are largely only based on a handful of images and details shown so far, what in that handful of images and details sounds 'amazing'? What is it that you think should require every single one of us to be 'excited'?

ExtraCheese
01-19-2015, 07:54 AM
This is starting to remind me of the old Atari forums back when RCT3 first came out, where anyone who dared raise concerns or questions about the game were pooh-poohed and put down by a bunch of rabid fan-boi's who were wearing rose-colored glasses. There were a number of people in the community who'd been around for years who avoided those forums like the plague for a long time, in good part because of that.

I'd hate to see that happen again.

Rather than putting down those who rightfully express their opinions on what they think maybe lacking, perhaps spend as much energy outlining the huge number of things you see that you can praise? Exactly what is it that you've seen that rates an "amazing" comment? I'm not being snide, I'm truly being curious.

Just as some point out that negative comments are largely only based on a handful of images and details shown so far, what in that handful of images and details sounds 'amazing'? What is it that you think should require every single one of us to be 'excited'?

I'm not saying you should be positive with everything the developers show. As I said, it's good to remain critical.
Yet you have to understand it sucks when you release new info about a game, everyone shouts 'this sucks, you guys are it up'.
Yes, the amount of images / info is too low, yet I can be enthouthiastic about this game, because I've been waiting too long for a new installment of this game. Maybe it won't be good, but all I can do is hope it will be good.
In my opinion, every new screenshot and every new piece of information is good at this point. The ferris wheel from this screenshot is indeed nothing compared to the first 4 screenshots released, so no I'm not that excited about it. I'm however content with how it looks in comparisson to the RCT3 variant.

Jannyboy11
01-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the update Mattlab, but to be honest your update didn't contain much information other then: "You can edit terrain with your imagination as the limit" (which I think is really cool, but should not be the main feature of the game) and "There will be a closed-alpha".
This post gives me the impression that you guys are still in an early stage of development. Especially because of the ferris wheel we had seen already. This is fine for me, I don't mind the delay, but please be realistic.

That being said, have a good time developing and I will wait for more informative announcements :)

toofpikk
01-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Hahah guys dont you see? We dont need this game. We have our pals over on RCT-3.org, FFRCT, SGW and many others who have made the new game for us. Over 10 years of development us as a one hundred thousand strong community have made more content then atari or area 52 could ever make. We don't need this. Its all great with your bickering but those 'avid' rct fans will never appreciate RCTW unless they're blind brown nosers.

This game WILL be crap. Area 52, and atari, prove me wrong. I'd LOVE for you to, but I'm adamant I don't need this malarky of broken promises and spoilt dreams in my down time. Quite happy with the past games thank you.

Wabigbear
01-19-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm not saying you should be positive with everything the developers show. As I said, it's good to remain critical.
Yet you have to understand it sucks when you release new info about a game, everyone shouts 'this sucks, you guys are it up'.
Yes, the amount of images / info is too low, yet I can be enthouthiastic about this game, because I've been waiting too long for a new installment of this game. Maybe it won't be good, but all I can do is hope it will be good.
In my opinion, every new screenshot and every new piece of information is good at this point. The ferris wheel from this screenshot is indeed nothing compared to the first 4 screenshots released, so no I'm not that excited about it. I'm however content with how it looks in comparisson to the RCT3 variant.

And that's a good reply. I'd much rather focus on why people feel positive rather than taking others to task if they don't share that same feeling.

The only thing I might see in a different way is that Atari's a business, they aren't going to get their feelings hurt because some people are vocal in what they don't like or see as Atari's shortcomings. This isn't the first game that's garnered negative reactions. And Mattlab's been around for a long time, I imagine he's grown a thick skin over the years and I think he knows it comes with the territory. He's the visible face of Atari with this game right now. Comments seldom usually are aimed at him personally, but rather at Atari through him. As a business you expect to hear the negative, just as you expect to hear the positive.

I'm sure we'll hear more of the later down the road.

Aqua-Chan
01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Hahah guys dont you see? We dont need this game. We have our pals over on RCT-3.org, FFRCT, SGW and many others who have made the new game for us. Over 10 years of development us as a one hundred thousand strong community have made more content then atari or area 52 could ever make. We don't need this. Its all great with your bickering but those 'avid' rct fans will never appreciate RCTW unless they're blind brown nosers.

This game WILL be crap. Area 52, and atari, prove me wrong. I'd LOVE for you to, but I'm adamant I don't need this malarky of broken promises and spoilt dreams in my down time. Quite happy with the past games thank you.

:( you can't give them a chance? And i thought Atari went bankrupt awhile ago.

ETapley0687
01-19-2015, 06:22 PM

I agree 100%, it's way too much negativity towards the developers and the game itself. This group of us who follow and love the series are not large enough to support a significant portion of the sales so they MUST appeal to others also. More than likely the younger crowd.

Mattlab
01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
When can we expect blog #2?

Will we have an open blog where there will be Q&A?

A dev chat or livestream is certainly a great thing for us to do ;)

As for blog #2, stay tuned, it won't be too long - just remember this was a shorter week due to the holiday here in the US.

magicart87
01-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Jules Verne...eat your heart out!

http://s15.postimg.org/55sc2x32z/RCTW_Beauty_Sci_Fi.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/jozh4bw7r/full/)
picture share (http://postimage.org/)

This screenshot wasn't featured on the site so I figured I post it here if anyone missed it. I like the Peeps!

Indiglow
01-19-2015, 08:32 PM
A dev chat or livestream is certainly a great thing for us to do ;)

As for blog #2, stay tuned, it won't be too long - just remember this was a shorter week due to the holiday here in the US.

Sounds exciting, looking forward to it! *hint hint show more screenshots!*

coaster6
01-19-2015, 09:02 PM
hey, i'm glad what they're doing here.. looking at our feedback. it may not seem like it, but they're looking:)

Aqua-Chan
01-19-2015, 09:06 PM
I agree 100%, it's way too much negativity towards the developers and the game itself. This group of us who follow and love the series are not large enough to support a significant portion of the sales so they MUST appeal to others also. More than likely the younger crowd.

Same. This is basically what I was saying awhile ago.

0BobTheJanitor
01-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Jules Verne...eat your heart out!

http://s15.postimg.org/55sc2x32z/RCTW_Beauty_Sci_Fi.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/jozh4bw7r/full/)
picture share (http://postimage.org/)

This screenshot wasn't featured on the site so I figured I post it here if anyone missed it. I like the Peeps!

The lighting looks incredible for this series, and the rides look as if they could exist previous game. I wish Atari would release more screenshots.

Noahjsc
01-19-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm excited for this game. I want to emphasize somthing we have waited years for this. We can still wait more take your time.

Thompso
01-19-2015, 10:11 PM
I just spotted the peep on the roller coaster with hands in the air in the upper right corner. I'm officially ready for this game. :cool:

FlyingDutchman7
01-20-2015, 04:27 AM
If you've seen magicart's picture, I guess you'd also like to see the others?

http://i.imgur.com/fqLWLxB.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/1540463_10203641982761942_7938530835850976719_o.jp g

https://ab404266b8e6ebfd9e4c-0338bbbce19fc98919c6293def4c5554.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/i_zifHQ7Gwuu.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

https://feb33d8763de0c0f2e0a-dd07187202f57fa404a8f047da2bcff5.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/scwAOtb5gDol.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

FlyingDutchman7
01-20-2015, 04:28 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10688089_723217451103762_4814463673122204605_o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9MqOc6s.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10679762_711189385639902_4733871259297896083_o.jpg

These are all pictures from Pipeworks from when they were in charge. It's also from the time they were in charge of marketing, instead of Atari. They did a quite good job on marketing (Hello ClearConscius!) :)
It's from the time RCT3 community was still eager for this new game...

I find it curious that Atari doesn't show these pics anymore. Has the game changed that much since Area 52 came in charge?

Why can't we post more than 4 images in a post? That's going to be very, very annoying when (no, if) we're going to post park reports...

Menno
01-20-2015, 06:52 AM
The lighting looks incredible for this series, and the rides look as if they could exist previous game. I wish Atari would release more screenshots.

I doubt the game art is finalized just yet. Details will still be added (At least that was how it was with sim city).

BigDaddy
01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
If these guys are close to closed alpha, and still plan on doing a closed alpha, closed beta, and then an open beta, and do it all this year?!? you can bet that they have all sorts of assets they can show off in screenshots. The only reason they dont show them to us, is for some reason they dont want to. It's as simple as that.

Its not hard sharing a few screenies every week.

Datskinnychild
01-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Happy to see that theres another "Confirmed" ride.... even if its a ferris wheel....

KuyaJeff
01-21-2015, 04:21 AM
For now, I'm going to continue to give Atari the benefit of the doubt and be ok with this development post. I understand why people may seem disappointed, but there's a difference between disappointment and having a reason to be upset. In reality, I haven't invested any money in RCTW(I'm pretty sure no one else has, too). What ultimately will judge the success of this whole project is the final product, at that point I'll get mad if need be. For me personally, the lack of news is actually building up anticipation. :rolleyes:

Gandalf
01-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Are we going to wait the dev blog #2 one month or like we need to wait longer..

0BobTheJanitor
01-21-2015, 02:40 PM
For now, I'm going to continue to give Atari the benefit of the doubt and be ok with this development post. I understand why people may seem disappointed, but there's a difference between disappointment and having a reason to be upset. In reality, I haven't invested any money in RCTW(I'm pretty sure no one else has, too). What ultimately will judge the success of this whole project is the final product, at that point I'll get mad if need be. For me personally, the lack of news is actually building up anticipation. :rolleyes:

Except to some it seems we are being treated as a chore, instead of a community, and this devlog is just icing on the cake. I have started leaning toward the opinion myself, as they've not showed us they care; they've stated it, but not expressed it. If next devlog is successful, then maybe I'll have a change of heart.

Christipher
01-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Major question - how are you going to get all of this to render at the large scale and small scale parks without the lag that we all experience of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3?

Paul_Boland
01-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Major question - how are you going to get all of this to render at the large scale and small scale parks without the lag that we all experience of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3?

I've never experience lag in RCT 3 but just to suggest an answer, RCT 3 is built on a ten year old engine for ten year old hardware. I'm sure RCTW isn't built for the same spec ;).

coaster6
01-21-2015, 08:32 PM
It's certainly concerning to all of us when the developer only responds to two comments out of 11 pages. They're doing a very good job of avoiding negative comments.

With that said, I've been waiting for this game for 9 years. Let's all take a chill pill and see what kind of game these guys give us.

Expanding on what I said before, I'll do a little analysis of what I see:rolleyes:

First off, that base looks a little small for such a large structure. Now, before you yell at me for not comparing it to something else because it's the only structure in the picture, let's look at this a little more. Why in the world would we have compartments on the Ferris Wheel. This is obviously implying this must be a huge ride.

My second "problem" is the red set of structures in the inside of the wheel. They unfortunately remind me of RCT3 roller coasters when they turned. They could never be curved they always had that "liney" kind of look to them. I certainly hope that won't be the case.

Besides those two points, this could be a make or break moment for me. Of course I'll be reveling at the fact that they're actually making another RCT, but I'll be genuinely depressed of this is a repeat or a flop.

Please, Mattlab

Just make this game good

Hanazakari86
01-22-2015, 02:00 AM
please add the "Undo and Redo" buttons
we cannot restart the whole game just because one simple mistake
specially when it comes with the terrain editing which is so annoying!!

EmSay
01-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Please make a sign of life. :D

rct-uwe
01-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Hi there,

I wonder why we were encouraged to register for the newsletter "Sign up for updates" on the main site...?!

I did it the first day and till now, I didn't recieved any newsletter.

Why aren't you sharing your RCTW-news that way (e.g. the dev blog)?

Hanazakari86
01-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Please make a sign of life. :D

what do you mean??

I saw a suggestion in Facebook rctw page it says " make a curved queue lines"
I strongly agree with it

and the ability to cheat too loooooool

EmSay
01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
what do you mean??

I strongly agree with it

and the ability to cheat too loooooool

I was making a joke about atari, as they didn't make a sign of life since...

And agree for the cuved queue line,
But all pathways should be able to get curve.

Let's see what Atari and area52 would make with all these great idea.

Can't wait anymore to see some updates.

Hanazakari86
01-23-2015, 04:17 AM
yes I agree about the curved path too
my goal is to make a park like Europe Park or Disney World not just a low class park
so they can make global scene decoration objects
not just americana!!and western

death-a-lot
01-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Hope the mod scene will be supported as I spent many months playing with mods.

Also hope its not too graphics intensive so my laptop can run it.

Sambo
01-23-2015, 07:34 PM
I strongly agree with it

And agree for the cuved queue line,
But all pathways should be able to get curve.

yes I agree about the curved path too.

YES YES YES! Finally some support to fix the obvious worst thing about this game. Make those paths get off the grid!

sanctus
01-24-2015, 08:41 PM
We need some news please !!

Danny
01-25-2015, 04:09 AM
We need some news please !!

Need is a strong word. Desire would be more accurate, but as this is a project by Atari and a relatively unheard of game developer, news and consumer communication appears to be very much at the bottom of their priority list.

Fear not, we'll get a small dev blog snippet with a single screenshot some time in February. If we're lucky.

Odeon
01-25-2015, 07:01 AM
No, need is definitely accurate.

Imagine that: your wife is giving birth to your child, she's been in labour for hours now, and you haven't been allowed to check on her ever since you brought her to the clinic. The only thing you know is that some time ago, they switched obstetrician and didn't even tell you why.

Noone is telling you anything.

Do you really think you simply "desire" news ?

At this point, the game is supposed to be almost done, and soon ready to release. It doesn't seem to be, and it doesn't look like it's gonna be anytime soon, so we need to know where things are right now, and where they're going, so we can plan ahead.

EmSay
01-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Imagine that: your wife is giving birth to your child, she's been in labour for hours now, and you haven't been allowed to check on her ever since you brought her to the clinic. The only thing you know is that some time ago, they switched obstetrician and didn't even tell you why.

At this point, the game is supposed to be almost done, and soon ready to release. It doesn't seem to be, and it doesn't look like it's gonna be anytime soon, so we need to know where things are right now, and where they're going, so we can plan ahead.

LOL!
I think the game is more their baby than ours. Plus even if I would agree with that opnion, I would think that must be for the better.
They've done all that, It would be silly to change dev' just for fun, I think...
It must be for the better, maybe the former obstetrician wasn't able to lead all the procedure, and another was needed to perform the birth correctly, at this time, they should work hard or that matter.

Yeah I admit that I believe 50% of what I just said, but I prefere to hope for the better and believe in people....
Let's Give them a chance, And if they do it all wrong, we'll be able to judge, but only when RCTW would be Finish.

kckc1219
01-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Will there be more color options for rides and rollercoasters in RCTW?

BeerWhiskers
01-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Mattlab-

From the idea of 'make it easy for someone to give you what you want', and based on Production Blog Post #1, here is what I am expecting and hoping for blog post #2.

Post #1 was less than 600 words. I expect that you will try to stay to that length for all posts. Big mistake. We are eager for for information, and buzz phrases like 'bring the franchise to a whole new level' won't carry weight with many of us because there is no actual information a statement like that. Minimize the fluff, maximize actual information.

As of the time of this posting, it has been 9 days since the first blog post. The earliest I would expect a new post now is tomorrow, so 10 days since previous post. Extrapolating from that, and from the 4 mentioned main foundations, Building will be next, then 20 days will pass before Sharing is covered. If closed Alphas are annouced a week after that, it's the end of February. A month before Beta is end of March. Release version end of April. In stores mid-June. That's half-way through the year, and not 'Early 2015'.

I am hoping that the schedule speeds up, that the updates are more frequent.

You have mentioned that Blog Post #2 will focus on building and that you will talk about the Coster Editor. I am hoping for an article over 1000 words with lots of actual information, and at least 3 large, detailed screen shots. Here are some key questions to answer:

Is ride placement, both coaster and flat, completely free-form or is there a grid system of some sort in place?
If there is a grid system, does it restrict terrain to have 'ride height' increments as in RCT3?
Does the coaster editor allow for features like loops and corkscrews to be built at free-form angles (not the 90 degree limits of RCT3) ?
Are flat rides allowed to be placed at free-form angles? To my eye, the Giant Ferris Wheel screen shot you posted suggests that this is possible.
Does the flexibility of the coaster editor extend to all rides with tracks?
How free-form is path building? I have seen a posted screen shot that show an area with rides, buildings, and landscaping and broad areas with peeps walking about with no obvious paths.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

EmSay
01-26-2015, 09:17 AM
For the people who might not know. We should expect a coaster ride editor for something close to the CoasterCrazy ride editor.
In fact The game was created by Frontier, which is (as everyone know here) the former studio who works with atari for RCT3 and Mr Sawyer for RCt1 and 2.
Since the coaster editor was a succes in CC, and at these times they wanted to implement it into the next RCT game they were planning once...(Yes, they said it in the official game Forum)
Don't talk about what happened next,
Atari won't do the mistake to not do something like the CC ride editor I think.
But again...it is just my opinion.

Hanazakari86
01-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Will we be able to rotate rides 180 degree like in sims for example???

Indiglow
01-26-2015, 01:32 PM
10 days later...any update on Blog #2? Are we doing 2 weeks between blogs or months? Any idea?

Danny
01-26-2015, 02:02 PM

News on a birth and news on a video game are not comparable in any form. There is no essential need for news on this game because the current status is glaringly obvious. Yes, more frequent updates would be ideal for a game that has been confirmed to have a solid release date at this time, but we've only been given a time frame. Until an actual release date is confirmed then I refuse to believe RCTW is going to make an appearance in the next few months.

We don't need to know anything about the game yet until an official release date is provided, as it isn't going to change our lives in the same way the birth of a child is. The exaggeration and comparison on scenarios you have implied here is utterly preposterous on a mind blowing scale. Welcome to the video game industry. Patience is a virtue.

EmSay
01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Will we be able to rotate rides 180 degree like in sims for example???

I think Dre Robert or Mattlab already says that we'll be able to move and rotate rides once finish.

sanctus
01-26-2015, 08:11 PM
I wonder which new coasters types will there be in the game (like hybrid coaster...) it would be great

Gandalf
01-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Indeed, it's so bad to have a coaster with the same train colour I expect from them full customization for coaster trains and for sure flat rides!

Taizen
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Need is a strong word. Desire would be more accurate, but as this is a project by Atari and a relatively unheard of game developer, news and consumer communication appears to be very much at the bottom of their priority list.

Fear not, we'll get a small dev blog snippet with a single screenshot some time in February. If we're lucky.

English colloquialism lesson: A heart attack doesn't mean your heart is actually attacking you.

Mattlab
01-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Mattlab-

From the idea of 'make it easy for someone to give you what you want', and based on Production Blog Post #1, here is what I am expecting and hoping for blog post #2.

Post #1 was less than 600 words. I expect that you will try to stay to that length for all posts. Big mistake. We are eager for for information, and buzz phrases like 'bring the franchise to a whole new level' won't carry weight with many of us because there is no actual information a statement like that. Minimize the fluff, maximize actual information.

As of the time of this posting, it has been 9 days since the first blog post. The earliest I would expect a new post now is tomorrow, so 10 days since previous post. Extrapolating from that, and from the 4 mentioned main foundations, Building will be next, then 20 days will pass before Sharing is covered. If closed Alphas are annouced a week after that, it's the end of February. A month before Beta is end of March. Release version end of April. In stores mid-June. That's half-way through the year, and not 'Early 2015'.

I am hoping that the schedule speeds up, that the updates are more frequent.

You have mentioned that Blog Post #2 will focus on building and that you will talk about the Coster Editor. I am hoping for an article over 1000 words with lots of actual information, and at least 3 large, detailed screen shots. Here are some key questions to answer:

Is ride placement, both coaster and flat, completely free-form or is there a grid system of some sort in place?
If there is a grid system, does it restrict terrain to have 'ride height' increments as in RCT3?
Does the coaster editor allow for features like loops and corkscrews to be built at free-form angles (not the 90 degree limits of RCT3) ?
Are flat rides allowed to be placed at free-form angles? To my eye, the Giant Ferris Wheel screen shot you posted suggests that this is possible.
Does the flexibility of the coaster editor extend to all rides with tracks?
How free-form is path building? I have seen a posted screen shot that show an area with rides, buildings, and landscaping and broad areas with peeps walking about with no obvious paths.

Hoping to hear from you soon!

I will try and keep some of your questions in mind as I write the next post ;) It is about building afterall!

coaster6
01-28-2015, 04:15 PM
A response?? Wow! Jk, really excited for the game:) !

mb1.0.2
01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
...it would be nice to know when my posts are deleted in the future. Just a simple, "hey, here's what happened and why."

I suppose ninja-modding isn't new here, though. Good to see things haven't changed.

phirivie
01-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Looks great! looking forward for the next blog!

Underdog104
01-28-2015, 05:31 PM
All of this seems a little fishy. And to be honest, they are kind of shooting themselves in the foot right from the beginning...

I will try and keep some of your questions in mind as I write the next post ;) It is about building afterall!
-So you haven't even started the next post? Ok, fair enough...but you also said this:

-Are we to believe that since you had a Monday off, the next DevBlog will take much longer?

It seems like the last, and only, blog took you about 10 minutes to write...so why is it taking so long, and why haven't you even started it yet? Cause of the holiday? Lol.

Windwest4D
01-28-2015, 11:21 PM
This is really disappointing! No new post or blogs regarding this game. Its at the end of January already and you guys still have not shown anything noteworthy as of recent to have us put any type of good faith in your new game. Where are the screen shots and all the new information for this on the new coaster builder/editing, I mean c'mon. Give us some new things to talk about!

FlyingDutchman7
01-29-2015, 05:08 AM
...it would be nice to know when my posts are deleted in the future. Just a simple, "hey, here's what happened and why."

I suppose ninja-modding isn't new here, though. Good to see things haven't changed.

Well, at least they don't "severely discourage" us to talk bad about RCTW, unlike some other Theme park game maker...

Wabigbear
01-29-2015, 09:01 AM
I think it's understandable that they wouldn't want a lot of free publicity given to "The-game-that-shall-not-be-named" by "The-developer-that-shall-also-not-be-named", so it's natural to try to limit discussion when it's Atari's Forum.

But it does kind of come across as a little on the petty side to scrub the forums of any mention of it at all, especially when there remains references to other theme-park/coaster games.

Probably a "yes, we are aware of other announced plans, but let's stick to talking about RCT:W here for now on, ok?" would have come across better.

Oh well...

SPRidley
01-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Wait, Im I reading this right? They are deleting everything about the old good RCT3 developer that seems to be doing something new? lol
They still havent say a word of how that game is going to be, and I yet still have more confidence in their future product than what they are showing us of RCTW.

Im saying this as a tip for Area52 and Atari. You are not doing this right, and being silent about the problems you are having doesnt help you in the slightlest. Right now it seems theres really nothing palpable about the game, not after the boot of the old devs of RCTW for Area52. They really havent done anything to prove they are up to par. Although I still think the big problem here is Atari still existing.

HipsterJesus
01-29-2015, 10:21 AM
I really lost all excitement for this game, they started saying that news were coming SOON since the beginning of December and all we've got was some small post about things that we've already known... comparing their news policy with that from small developers like "Parkitect" they are miles behind. Parkitect hasn't even reached its Alpha version yet but there are weekly posts of developement and RCTW has nothing at all besides some artworks and two or three attractions. I don't think this game is going to be any good.

Quovadis
01-29-2015, 10:32 AM
I really lost all excitement for this game, they started saying that news were coming SOON since the beginning of December and all we've got was some small post about things that we've already known... comparing their news policy with that from small developers like "Parkitect" they are miles behind. Parkitect hasn't even reached its Alpha version yet but there are weekly posts of developement and RCTW has nothing at all besides some artworks and two or three attractions. I don't think this game is going to be any good.

While I do think that the news has been lacking, things seem to speed up a little bit. They got a few development posts coming. I don't think the game is coming out any time soon, but you can't really say if a game is going to be good or not, just by judging the updates. Maybe they don't have many things finished, but are busy polishing assets of the game. I can imagine they don't want to show half-done rides or attractions. Just wait (even if it takes a couple months) till some more posts and maybe they'll surprise us!

warly
01-29-2015, 02:08 PM
While I do think that the news has been lacking, things seem to speed up a little bit. They got a few development posts coming. I don't think the game is coming out any time soon, but you can't really say if a game is going to be good or not, just by judging the updates. Maybe they don't have many things finished, but are busy polishing assets of the game. I can imagine they don't want to show half-done rides or attractions. Just wait (even if it takes a couple months) till some more posts and maybe they'll surprise us!

it would be totally fine to have sth. in a couple of months IF they would communicate it in such way. Everywhere on the website and in the forums you can read "Very Soon", "Basically i'm writing a post right now", "Stay Tuned", "Soon", "Soon", "Soon".... It doesn't fit and makes people upset.

phirivie
01-29-2015, 03:31 PM
if you work on a game for 2-3 years the idea having it ready in the next 3-5 months can feel very soon. Some first artwork was already very nice. Just wait and when it's there have some fun and pop some flying balloons (I hope that feature will come back :p).

sanctus
01-29-2015, 03:53 PM
At this moment I'm more excited about how to get the closed alpha (pre-ordering I suppose) than some news lol

Danny
01-29-2015, 04:02 PM
RCTW has nothing at all besides some artworks and two or three attractions. I don't think this game is going to be any good.

We aren't in a position yet to be able to comment on the actual quality of the game. The marketing of it and communication with the community is shockingly awful that's a given, but lack of information doesn't always necessarily mean the final product is going to be awful.

I'm all for watching people slam Atari and Area 52 for communication and showcasing the game thus far, particularly when the game is still listed as coming early 2015. But as for the actual finished collection of content and quality, that's a different pond of fish altogether.

dwwilkin
01-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Well, at least they don't "severely discourage" us to talk bad about RCTW, unlike some other Theme park game maker...
hehehe... I was so ambushed at that other Theme park game maker for expressing my opinion that the fanboys did not want to hear. I was bombarded with an almost DNS type mindset

mb1.0.2
01-29-2015, 04:46 PM
That's a fair point, Danny. Yes, I suppose it IS possible that RCTW will knock our socks off...but if game development is approached at ALL the same way as communication and marketing is, well, then....

HipsterJesus
01-29-2015, 05:36 PM
We aren't in a position yet to be able to comment on the actual quality of the game. The marketing of it and communication with the community is shockingly awful that's a given, but lack of information doesn't always necessarily mean the final product is going to be awful.

I'm all for watching people slam Atari and Area 52 for communication and showcasing the game thus far, particularly when the game is still listed as coming early 2015. But as for the actual finished collection of content and quality, that's a different pond of fish altogether.

Well it doesn't necessarily mean that RCTW is going to be a bad game. However, I think that that's a given IF they still want to release it in early 2015 (which at this point, I think is utopistic). The thing that really bugs me is as mentioned that they always use words as "soon", "basically now", "i'm just writing", etc. If they atleast confirmed that they won't publish it in early 2015 and that new news won't be published till February I'd be more understanding.

Xenocorpse
01-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Mattlab-

I feel that a schedule would be important here. Exactly when a Dev blog is expected to be posted is a great start. Once a week, once a month, or whatever your schedule would be could help de-stress the community.

We, as a community, feel that we deserve information, on a somewhat scheduled basis, where we know the exact meaning of the amount of time you describe instead of using, for a lack of a better word, wishy-washy terms such as soon as each individual has their own definition of the time range that "soon" actually is. Scheduling would definately release loads of tension in the community and I feel as if it would help us be a little more patient and eager to jump on the site and see a brand new dev blog exactly when we expect it. Not where we happen to click on the site again, expecting nothing and *BAM*. Still a blog that describes things that we pretty much already know.

Unlike some people in the community, I'm still excited for RCTW. I have a lot of patience, although some information, on a scheduled basis, would really help in getting us more "pumped up". I hope you take my words here as advice because there aren't many of us that are still excited. We are begging you to listen! We aren't negative, we are giving constructive criticism!

a-can-o-beans
01-29-2015, 08:32 PM
hehehe... I was so ambushed at that other Theme park game maker for expressing my opinion that the fanboys did not want to hear. I was bombarded with an almost DNS type mindset

i was banned for a week because i give honest feedback. i cant say what i want because of the fanboys that are on the TPS forums. i know sometimes i might come off as negative but its only cause i want to see these theme park games succeed.

sanctus
01-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Mattlab-

I feel that a schedule would be important here. Exactly when a Dev blog is expected to be posted is a great start. Once a week, once a month, or whatever your schedule would be could help de-stress the community.

We, as a community, feel that we deserve information, on a somewhat scheduled basis, where we know the exact meaning of the amount of time you describe instead of using, for a lack of a better word, wishy-washy terms such as soon as each individual has their own definition of the time range that "soon" actually is. Scheduling would definately release loads of tension in the community and I feel as if it would help us be a little more patient and eager to jump on the site and see a brand new dev blog exactly when we expect it. Not where we happen to click on the site again, expecting nothing and *BAM*. Still a blog that describes things that we pretty much already know.

Unlike some people in the community, I'm still excited for RCTW. I have a lot of patience, although some information, on a scheduled basis, would really help in getting us more "pumped up". I hope you take my words here as advice because there aren't many of us that are still excited. We are begging you to listen! We aren't negative, we are giving constructive criticism!

Exactly accurate lol

ExtraCheese
01-30-2015, 04:03 AM
Exactly accurate lol

I agree. Xenocorpse it totally right!

phillyguy1
01-30-2015, 10:37 AM
I want to see the next blog NOW.

phillyguy1
01-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Mattlab-

Amen brother

dwwilkin
01-30-2015, 11:55 AM
I think (and I could be wrong-but if you've been reading my posts you know I have some opinions) that Mattlab is handicapped here. It is almost what he releases to us, and when has to be vetted by legal, but I think it is more like a movie studio, where someone like Jeff Katzenberg or Mike Eisner sits and micro manages everything above the creative level. The apperance that the news we get is so thin and spotty, certainly seems that Matt and Dre have someone above them telling them when, and what they can tell us

CoasterMadness
01-30-2015, 12:50 PM
That is a fair point. I just hope Atari/Area52 will realize that their current strategy is not working and that they will start giving out better information, and actually engage the community. I can understand if for marketing purposes Atari wants to keep things a surprise; but compared to other games I have seen launched Atari seems to be taking a "loose lips sink ships" approach and they are not letting much slip at all.

0BobTheJanitor
01-30-2015, 03:56 PM
I want to see the next blog NOW.

Just a few hours.

Marvin
01-30-2015, 04:15 PM
He posted this one at 5:41 EST. Assuming they're in the Pacific time zone, we probably have 2-5 more hours before we get the next blog post.

VactuGAMER
01-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Can't wait

Paul_Boland
01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Just to point out that we have no guarantee that the next blog will be posted today so hopefully folks won't be upset if it's not. Just give it time, it will come...

Marvin
01-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Just to point out that we have no guarantee that the next blog will be posted today so hopefully folks won't be upset if it's not. Just give it time, it will come...

He said it was coming this week and was flying somewhere to finish it up. They don't work on the weekends so he pretty much told us it's coming today.

Paul_Boland
01-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Yes, I remember that. But all I'm saying is, until you actually see it, don't be building yourself up for it. It will be awesome if it comes out today, but if it doesn't I hope people who be on the rampage again. All I'm saying is, if it doesn't show up today, give it time, it will eventually appear.

Marvin
01-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Yes, I remember that. But all I'm saying is, until you actually see it, don't be building yourself up for it. It will be awesome if it comes out today, but if it doesn't I hope people who be on the rampage again. All I'm saying is, if it doesn't show up today, give it time, it will eventually appear.

True. Some people will still be angry if we don't get it today, though.

mb1.0.2
01-30-2015, 06:18 PM
...soon...soon.

Say it with me...soon. When is soon? ...soon.

rhcoaster
01-30-2015, 06:44 PM
The first dev blog post was 4:41 pm CDT so it could be late as 6:00 pm CDT.

Mattlab
01-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Working on some final edits! Hope to get it posted tonight!

Marvin
01-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Great news! :D

sanctus
01-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger :)

Thompso
01-30-2015, 07:40 PM
PLEASE include a picture of Peeps and Roller Coaster

Indiglow
01-30-2015, 08:10 PM

F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5

that's all im doing over here! =)

sanctus
01-30-2015, 08:17 PM
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5
f5

lol same here hahah

Aqua-Chan
01-30-2015, 08:41 PM
You know this is the most active I've ever seen a thread here.

Marvin
01-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Almost 5pm PST. Hmm...

sanctus
01-30-2015, 08:57 PM
It's gonna be 1am where I live

0BobTheJanitor
01-30-2015, 09:00 PM
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5
F5

I have it open on another screen, with RefreshMonkey running.

sanctus
01-30-2015, 09:11 PM
I'm suffering

cap396
01-30-2015, 09:16 PM
You guys are a little too obsessed.

pas sebas 12#
01-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Waiting for news too, I hope fastest answer for the frontiers' park game announcement

Mattlab
01-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Uploading now!

syfy2k4
01-30-2015, 10:21 PM
you ever going to tell us the Official stance on CS?

sanctus
01-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Uploading now!

YEAAAH I hope it says how to get the alpha :)

Xenocorpse
01-30-2015, 11:00 PM
uploading now!

yusss! Finally!

snowyday
09-28-2015, 08:37 PM
This sounds awesome I can't wait

ddrplaya4638
09-28-2015, 09:37 PM

Not need to post on super old production blogs my friend. Welcome to the forums by the way :).

Palaber1984
09-29-2015, 03:57 AM

It is not funny using the search button at a wrong moment.