PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

Forgath
02-07-2017, 03:36 AM
I created a chair and table in blender, and moved it into Unity. Inside the unity scene is the female character so we can match the hight and such of the objects.

However, when I have the objects ingame they appear way to large. So the female character gives me false info! :p

I will check the .pdf file that came with the PxP. But anyone advice for me?

majherbhead
02-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Hi Forgath.
To be honest I don't use the height reference (Female character) very much. I have some smaller items like books and stuff. I wouldn't say she gives a "false" height reference though. It may seem that way at times but once the object is in-game it's size match's the scale.
Instead I use the Box Collider. For example, when I was resizing some of the things for my RandomItemsPack most of the things were simply too big and had to be scaled down. Same with the latest pack as I was working on, a HouseItemsPack, table's, chairs, lamps, books (as referred to earlier), bookshelves, etc. Most of the scaling was done using the Box Collider, it's the only way I've found that gives super accuracy.
Each square of the PxP grid is 4m x 4m x 4m (X x Z x Y/Width x Depth x Height). So if you have a table and you want it to be 4m wide 2.5m in depth and 1.2m in height, set the box collider to those dimensions and resize the object to that.

Forgath
02-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Thank you for the reply Majherbhead!

I didn't think of that to be honest. Well, I know the collider box is there, but I didn't use it to rescale the objects.

I'll try it out this evening. Thanks in advance!

majherbhead
02-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the reply Majherbhead!

I didn't think of that to be honest. Well, I know the collider box is there, but I didn't use it to rescale the objects.

I'll try it out this evening. Thanks in advance!

No problem. I will admit it can be a bit of a pain switching between the "parent" and "child" to see the box collider to compare and switch back to resize, but the end result is worth it in my opinion.

Peaches
02-07-2017, 10:29 AM
LOVE to see the community helping each other! :D

Forgath
02-09-2017, 03:26 AM
The chair I'm ok with, but the table is to simple in my opinion. Besides that they both need texturing. (Just coloured at the moment) Hopefully I find time this Sunday.

shirty
02-11-2017, 04:03 PM
rather than messing about with coliders and such you can just use a simple unity box.
the unity units are ingame meters if your table is meant to be 67cm tall create a new box and set the scale to 0.67 and then scale your table to match that box, job done.

Forgath
02-13-2017, 03:12 AM
Thank you for the tip shirty!

Forgath
02-15-2017, 04:47 AM
I'm getting slowly used to the mirror and array modifiers in Blender, and that makes it a lot easier to create objects :)

Forgath
02-15-2017, 03:50 PM
here is a table and a stool i made.

its just scenery so it cant be used by visitors, but i found it nice enough to share.

Edit: I've uploaded them both to the workshop. If I get to expand on this, I'll consider putting them into a pack.