PDA

View Full Version : Conical rooftop

Forgath
12-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Does anyone have experience in creating them?

I read on a forum it's not possible to create them in Unity. So I have to create them in Blender and import as .fbx file into Unity.

Might take me some time :)

majherbhead
12-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Does anyone have experience in creating them?

I read on a forum it's not possible to create them in Unity. So I have to create them in Blender and import as .fbx file into Unity.

Might take me some time :)

I could probably make them in a similar way as to how I did my Spire Pieces. Thinking about it, it shouldn't be that hard to do either.

Forgath
12-05-2016, 10:19 AM
I could probably make them in a similar way as to how I did my Spire Pieces. Thinking about it, it shouldn't be that hard to do either.

I found blender tutorials on how to create an ice cream cone. A conical rooftop is an upside down version, so I thought I'd start there.

Are your spire pieces in the workshop?

majherbhead
12-05-2016, 02:02 PM
I found blender tutorials on how to create an ice cream cone. A conical rooftop is an upside down version, so I thought I'd start there.

Are your spire pieces in the workshop?
They are in as part of my PxP Packs. I did them when I did the sloped roof and tri-wall pieces.
I could do with tweaking them a bit to be honest but I don't see the point as I don't play RCTW anymore.

Forgath
12-06-2016, 01:50 AM
They are in as part of my PxP Packs. I did them when I did the sloped roof and tri-wall pieces.
I could do with tweaking them a bit to be honest but I don't see the point as I don't play RCTW anymore.

Fair enough. I intend to have a go in Blender tonight and see what I can create. Will post pictures if I succeed.

Forgath
12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Here we go, a first try at creating a conical rooftop. I picked a random dark green colour, and also the height is random when i created it.

its a bit to shiny to my taste (same issue as with the rocks), but besides that it doesnt look to bad.

Forgath
12-06-2016, 04:20 PM
3 more pictures from different kinds of cones:

seems i can decrease the shiny-part on the objects when i decrease the metallic smoothness slider.

Next step is adding textures to the cone instead of just a random colour.

Forgath
12-07-2016, 03:28 AM
To add textures I'll need to UV map it. Haven't done that before but I'll do my best.

Edit:
I found some useful YouTube tutorials which should help me to figure this out. Will keep you updated on how it goes.

Forgath
12-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Its a start :)

Forgath
12-08-2016, 05:10 AM
ok, i admit, i cheated with the picture above *grin*. Only the side you are seeing looks ok, the back-side is textured wrong.

I found out that creating a conical object and than applying the texture doesnt work out well. (not for me atleast)
The work around is to create a cylinder, delete the top and bottom, cut it, apply the texture and then scale the top down to 0. That way the texture gets properly divided over the object.

I intend to post more pictures this weekend. If the objects turn out well i am thinking of creating a pack and upload it to the steam workshop.

Beaker86
12-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Would you be able to chop the back off the cone so its a half cone and not texture the back? I know it wouldnt be ideal but you could then use 2 back to back to give your roof texture all the way round?

Forgath
12-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Good point, and yes that should be doable. It will be a bit more time consuming deleting those 'faces'.
I have no idea yet if the 'inside' gets textured as well or if its solid (i didnt check), but i will find out if i create a half cone.

Minor thing with this approach might be that i need to set the width parameters properly. As in, when 2 half cones get placed together, they need to fit properly towards each other (not sure if that becomes a problem)

When i find time this weekend i will check it out. :)

Beaker86
12-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Yeah - i think they would have to be placed off the grid which is a bit of a pain but might work

Forgath
12-08-2016, 09:56 AM
i guess when i can get this to work (half cones), its a small step to creating other objects. The possibilities are limitless...my time might be limited though :P

Forgath
12-08-2016, 01:42 PM
5 more cones with different colours and textures:

I find some better textured than another, so i have to work on it.

Beaker86
12-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Looking amazing Forgath! Will these be going up as a PxP Pack?

You know what would look good with them? Some curved walls ;) /jk

Forgath
12-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Nice to hear you are liking it!
Yes, I intend to upload them as pack. I'm wondering though when it will be good enough to upload. (Concerning colours and sizes)

And you are ordering curved walls? :p
Can't promise it.

Beaker86
12-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Not ordering them but if you manage that would be cool. I really need to find some time to learn 3D moddeling

Caine
12-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Looks not too bad, but I have one question, can you add a normal map to the texture? is it possible in the ugc tool?

Forgath
12-09-2016, 01:05 AM
Looks not too bad, but I have one question, can you add a normal map to the texture? is it possible in the ugc tool?

I'll do my best to add them.

Forgath
12-11-2016, 07:38 AM
left cone is with a normal map texture, the right one is without.

Forgath
12-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Not ordering them but if you manage that would be cool. I really need to find some time to learn 3D moddeling

Is this in the direction what you meant?

Beaker86
12-13-2016, 05:18 PM
:o they look awesome and totally the idea i was thinking

Forgath
12-14-2016, 03:21 AM
I guess i have to start on making choices. At the moment I created a textured cylinder (as seen above). I can create a half wall cylinder to give more options. It will have a solid base so it is textured from both sides and not will 'vanish'.

Texturing the cylinder walls in the same 5 ways as I did with the rooftops is the idea. Perhaps add a sixth 'normal brick version'...or a plaster wall. To many options :)

I also am thinking of creating 3 different cone rooftop sizes to start with.

Ofcourse I will have to be certain all objects have the proper width and length.

Forgath
12-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Created a half cylinder, so you can combine pieces.

I made it this time with a glass-in-lead texture. Looks odd and nice :)

Forgath
12-16-2016, 07:12 AM
My intention is to upload the round walls and conical rooftops this sunday to steam as a pack. I have yet to decide on the shapes of the cone, have not made up my mind yet. And the base of the cylinder is about 3 blocks. Any suggestion if that is a good starting point?

majherbhead
02-21-2017, 07:58 PM
I know it's been a while since this was at the top of the forum, but rather than start a new one for spire/conical roof's (and Wall's) I thought it best to "add" to this thread. I too have been working on a PxP Pack for these sort of piece's in my spare time. This is what I have so far, 2 size's in the "tower" piece, with a separate quarter piece and 2 size's of Spire roof tops to match, also with separate quarter pieces. There are plenty more piece's to do but it's a start. As you can see in the screenshot, the smaller size fits to 1x1 PxP grid space and the larger, 2x2 grid space's. On a side note, I have also been experimenting with making an octagonal Tower with Spire roof, a bit more difficult but do-able so, watch this space.

Forgath
02-22-2017, 01:50 AM
That looks great Majherbhead! What program did you use to make them?

And yes, a reply in this post makes it clear i should finish my rooftop cones :)

majherbhead
02-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks. I'm using Blender to make my own piece's. Will take a month or two to get finished though. Due to move house in a couple of weeks.