PDA

View Full Version : RCTW – Early Access – Dev Blog #18: Big News!

CommunityAdmin
10-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Hello Tycoons!

Today we’re coming to you with some big, big news!

As hinted before, we’re nearing the end of RollerCoaster Tycoon World’s Early Access period. Now, we’re ready to pull back the curtain to show some of what you can expect when we leave EA. We’re excited to reveal some new features that the team has been working on behind-the-scenes – based off your feedback – for months! Now at the cusp of our full release, we’re showcasing these exciting new innovations for the first time to give an inside look into what’s in store at launch.

Below you’ll find highlights of our upcoming new features, along with a new video showcasing our Piece-by-Piece builder, and a note on saved games. Be sure to follow along on the blog as we’ll continue to reveal some exciting news, including our LAUNCH DATE(!!), very soon.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1028_ss_05.png

New Progression Mode!

When we leave EA, you’ll be treated to a BRAND-NEW park building gameplay experience. This has been a long-term project for our team and one we’re SUPER excited to finally reveal. Instead of the “Scenarios” found in the current game, you will have a new mission-based campaign system, giving you dozens of engaging and increasingly tricky missions over 3 world maps, with multiple objectives and playstyle options. As you complete these missions, you’ll be granted Research Points, which can then be used to unlock over 100 new scenery items. Those items will then be available for you in the Sandbox builder. Along with the core Sandbox building experience, this new progression system gives players a whole new way to interact with RCTW. We can’t wait for you to try it!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Menu_a.png

New Peeps!

Welcome to Peeps 2.0. Based off of your feedback and diligent work of our artists, we’ve completely revamped and remodeled every peep in the game. Your park will now be populated with a diverse and vibrant collection of dynamic peeps - riding rides, buying cotton candy, and having the time of their lives. (Or cowering in terror / buckled over with nausea – your choice!) Additionally, as you make your way through our new progression mode, you’ll be meeting some of our VIPeeps – special peeps full of personality and style, who will have some very specific needs. Fulfill their needs and your park will be granted additional fame, making it all the more popular!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1028_ss_14.jpg

New User Interface!

The entire main menu and User Interface has been reworked, offering a streamlined, seamless navigation experience. Now you can quickly jump back into your saved parks, create a new park, check out the most popular items currently available in the Social Hub, and see how many people are downloading and rating your own shared creations. Finding your way through RCTW and quickly getting where you want to be has never been easier!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Menu01_a.png

Performance and Path Improvements!

We’ve made significant progress over the past months improving our pathing system and overall game performance. As we leave EA you’ll notice jumps in framerate, decreased load times, and a much more seamless path placement experience.

Video Featuring the Piece-by-Piece Builder!

We’d also like to take some time to focus on another newly implemented game feature – Piece-by-Piece building! Our PxP builder offers players unlimited creative control over the design and layout of their park. Let your imagination run wild as you create themed structures from our Sci-Fi, Western, Adventure, or General themes. We made a short overview video to show how YOU can jump into PxP building and start creating your own unique structures today!

https://youtu.be/_juWoIBX1t4

Saved Games – Prepare Now to Leave Early Access

Lastly, as we transition out of Early Access we want to encourage all current players to save blueprints of their coasters, PxP items and grouped elements, and other creations. Any item you save as a blueprint will be saved as we transition from Early Access to full release, but due to the massive progression and technical updates coming to the full release, your saved games from Early Access will not carry over to the full release version of RCTW. Make sure to start backing up your work now!

Click here for a guide on saving your Blueprints! (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/RCTW-Blueprint-Save-Tutorial-Guide.pdf)

We wanted to thank you all again for joining us on this journey, and hope you’ll continue on the ride with us in the future as we update and improve RCTW. We’ve made enormous strides since first entering EA, and we have your invaluable input to thank for that. Keep watching here for our official launch date announcement. Until then – see you in the park!

- Team RCTW

DanPlayer01
10-27-2016, 04:53 PM
WOW! Cannot wait. Just when are we going to get news about dark rides and transport rides? I can't wait to hear what you have planned for those.

JMR
10-27-2016, 04:55 PM
You have redesigned every peep? Wow! Not sure how many people were expecting that. Great news! Along with an entirely new gameplay system - progression modes! Brilliant news! Really looking forward to trying that out! :)

The pictures of the new UI looks a lot better! Big improvement there as well!

Worried that there are a few things in this list below that were not mentioned in the post though (dark rides, mini-rides, transport rides, weather, custom music, fence builder):

Piece-by-Piece Custom Built Structures
Scenario Editor
Mini-rides and Dark Rides
Additional scenarios
Transport Rides
Fence Builder
New and expanded decoration themes
Additional Flat-rides
Weather
Custom music
New Rollercoaster types

Source: Developer blog #30 - https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?9945-RCTW-Blog-30-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Coming-to-Steam-Early-Access!

Beaker86
10-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Nicely said JMR - Love the look of the progression board and menus - at last we can maybe actually read the names of workshop items.
But still too many things being glossed over from that list..

deathtome
10-27-2016, 05:00 PM
You have redesigned every peep? Wow! Not sure how many people were expecting that. Great news! Along with an entirely new gameplay system - progression modes! Brilliant news! Really looking forward to trying that out! :)

Worried that there are a few things in this list below that were not mentioned in the post though (dark rides, mini-rides, transport rides, weather, custom music, fence builder):

Source: Developer blog #30 - https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?9945-RCTW-Blog-30-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Coming-to-Steam-Early-Access!

Great post JMR, I too would love to know when we are getting those features.

I also would really like to know when we can raise flat rides, stalls and other buildings above 164 ft. Also would love to know when we can place rides above each other and not have supports stopping us from doing so. Also would love to know when we can edit terrain below rides.......

Beaker86
10-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Oooohhhhh just looked at the first picture again - I see fireworks!!

DanPlayer01
10-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Oooohhhhh just looked at the first picture again - I see fireworks!!

Good catch, I hope they have weekly dev blogs planned to talk about all the missing aspects. (Fireworks, Log Flume, Dark Rides, Transport Rides, ETC) :)

DanPlayer01
10-27-2016, 05:11 PM
I like the new way they do scenarios, just wish they connected the parks together. So have all the same finances, connected via transport rides/bus, hotel expansion pack, just like Disney would be.

Kai Rubix
10-27-2016, 05:16 PM
I'll have to see these peeps in action to see how much they've been revamped. are the faces more animated? also smoother animation all together? thats what I'm looking for.

Zerael
10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
I'll have to see these peeps in action to see how much they've been revamped. are the faces more animated? also smoother animation all together? thats what I'm looking for.

they should show us some animated peeps http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/home/breatheh/public_html//exhale/uploads/emoticons/nervousney.gif

DanPlayer01
10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
they should show us some animated peeps http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/home/breatheh/public_html//exhale/uploads/emoticons/nervousney.gif

That would be nice.

EDIT: What happened to the thread about the new peep art rendering?

deathtome
10-27-2016, 06:05 PM
That would be nice.

EDIT: What happened to the thread about the new peep art rendering? I am wondering the same thing. I am also wonder where inspectorgadget got that photo from.

sofresh5
10-27-2016, 07:07 PM
A nice surprise but I still don't see any information about some of the free content promised before launch (transport rides, dark rides, etc.). The new peeps look better but I'm worried they still have the same funky animations from what I can pick up of that picture. Also, I happened to see a golf course as one of the campaign missions or whatever they're being called so maybe that's a conformation of mini-golf or an actual golf attraction being added to the game? :)

DanPlayer01
10-27-2016, 07:13 PM
I would LOVE to have actual golf courses in the game. I'm pretty sure Disney has a few gold courses. That would be really cool, that would be unique to RCTW. I'm okay with it just being mini golf as well.

deathtome
10-27-2016, 07:24 PM
I would LOVE to have actual golf courses in the game. I'm pretty sure Disney has a few gold courses. That would be really cool, that would be unique to RCTW. I'm okay with it just being mini golf as well.

I really do hope that a mini golf course is added to the game. Rides like mini-Golf, hedge mazes, and gokarts really made each part feel different from each other.

JoëlNL
10-27-2016, 07:43 PM
I would love to see hedge mazes, go carts and mini golf too. It was funny to see the guests in RCT1 jump up to look over the hedges to see where they would need to go to in order to find the maze exit.

Go carts was really nice to watch at times. All of those tiny guests racing against each other. :)

Mini golf was nice because you could made some nice trees and foliage around it.

Hersheypark2011
10-27-2016, 10:57 PM
This Dev Blog has me more split than any other posted before. It raises way more questions than it answers. When is this #verysoon release date exactly? Why can't they just tell us now? Does that mean they still aren't sure on it themselves? Or because they want to look at community feedback first? I fear it's going to be an early December release like last year. Exactly the thing I was dreading. My hope for the game being "completed" has never been lower. Going from the list that JMR reposted, they still are nowhere close to checking everything off. The couple they did implement, aren't even entirely finished, and that was said by Nvizzio themselves in the dev stream!!!!! Mattlab actually mentioned there would even be more than what was on that list for EA. LOL! In your dreams, Atari. Also would have been nice if they would have mentioned months ago that, due to systems upgrades, etc, saved games probably wouldn't be able to transfer to full release. Instead they throw that fact at us with (likely) mere weeks left. It's good I don't have any huge parks...

Now to try to break down my thoughts on all this new info--only including info discussed in the blog:
Pros
-I see fireworks, cool. What level of customization though? How many shape styles?
-The Progression Mode (or at least the map of it) looks really cool. Why completely remove solo scenarios though? That's what the old games were all about...excluding sandbox. Also, does this mean the campaign mode is removed too? This new mode was described as "mission-based campaign". That would only make sense.
-The new guests look significantly better (in freeze frame). Although I see none of the old designs. Does that mean they scrapped them and there's only new? Seems to me they could have saved a little time to still keep the old designs (I'm talking clothes/hair, that stuff), while updating the bodies. If there's only new instead of "in addition to", then I hope there's a good amount more of variety. There were way too many repeating guests before. Also, do we get guest groups finally???
-The new Main Menu interface looks great. Can't complain...except they only show the "Community" section.
-Paths improvement. Yeah, let's wait and try and for ourselves.
-Performance and loading time improvements. Yeah, let's wait and experience that for ourselves.
-It seems Mini-Golf is confirmed. Nice. Now let's see what it actually looks like and how (well) it works.
Cons
-Will lose all saved parks from EA. Already ranted about this, nothing more to say.
-No official release date given, only the classic "soon". Also no word on more pre-release updates. I had to open up Steam to see if we were actually getting these new features in an update today, or if they were saying they're adding that stuff only at release. They didn't make it very clear...the only thing clearly marked as only "post-launch" was the Progression Mode.

If this blog had been about a brand-new update, and no mention of releasing soon, this would probably be their best update yet! It seems we can never be that lucky concerning this game however.

I'm going to make a thread about all my other questions raised concerning a sooooooon full launch. Don't want to get off topic here.

Paul_Boland
10-27-2016, 10:58 PM

The pictures of the new UI looks a lot better! Big improvement there as well!

Yep, where are the free missing content we were promised? New menus don't interest me. A reworking of the peeps would definitely be welcome. But where's the missing core content?

Dante80
10-28-2016, 12:07 AM
Progression mode seems like a fun way to mesh scenarios with player progression into a campaign. Not so sure about locking the content for the base sandbox game though (this means that a player would have to complete all the scenarios before he can use all scenery/rides on a sandbox map - not that good for creative players).

The new peeps look a lot nicer than before. I really hope it is not simply a re-skin though, and some love is also put into the skeleton animations.

The new interface looks good and intuitive. We will have to play with it to see how it functions.

PxP implementation is competent, and the ability to make UGC in this game can elevate this feature a lot!

All in all, some nice updates here. Sadly, the prose of this update hints to the game getting to gold status pretty soon, I think that ATARI has targeted the holiday sales timeslot for this. A lot of the stuff that they had promised for initial release (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?9945-RCTW-Blog-30-RollerCoaster-Tycoon-World-Coming-to-Steam-Early-Access) (and were supposed to be worked during the EA period) seems to be out.

I can understand that, there is only so many things that you can do with the time and resources allotted to you. I would like ATARI to give a firm response about this though, especially as far as post-launch support and development is concerned.

Will NVISSIO keep working on this after launch, with a goal of bringing said features and content online for the game? Will said features be free updates for the playerbase, since they were touted for initial release? Will ATARI keep supporting this project?

These are things that come to my mind, and I would love to have some official communication about them. Because I fear that if the game doesn't hit the unit goals that ATARI projects for release (it will not be easy, due to the current EA saturation, competition in the genre and the meta evaluation stats outstanding for the project), then post-launch support would be in trouble.

jbdk59
10-28-2016, 03:05 AM
Hoping that peeps v2 does not try too much to eat when there are restaurants and snack in all corners of the park. No new attractions? Transport? Aquatic?

Akydo
10-28-2016, 03:26 AM
Beaker86 and DanPlayer01
i also notice the Orange balloon on the bottom left side of the first pic, could mean we are getting standard rct balloons as well.

Beaker86
10-28-2016, 03:55 AM
Beaker86 and DanPlayer01
i also notice the Orange balloon on the bottom left side of the first pic, could mean we are getting standard rct balloons as well.

Nice spot - also there appears to be a strange object on the ground below that baloon looks like it could be a mortar for fireworks but a bit close to path for realism

TycoonFury
10-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Love the information about the new peeps and judging by the screen shot the guests are sitting properly in the theatre. I imagine we will be drip fed information over the next few weeks including rides and other cool stuff, they have been very selective with the screenshots not to show off too much in one go.

Hopefully there will be some videos very soon.

magicart87
10-28-2016, 11:10 AM
The Fireworks are a nice surprise! Assuming a Mixmaster System isn't in the cards can these fireworks be triggered to launch? If so how? Can they be colored? Do they come in different shapes and patterns?

Not for nothing but that path addition "Owl Arch" looks pretty bad. Not enough definition and detail. Hard to see the face of the mascot. Also the cornerstone caps (and the columns of the arch) looks flat. The lighting in this shot is nice however!
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1028_ss_05.png

Bitter Jeweler
10-28-2016, 11:10 AM
On the right side of the first image, did they copy Planet Coaster's confetti?

Theme Park Games
10-28-2016, 12:43 PM
On the right side of the first image, did they copy Planet Coaster's confetti? Respectfully, the "PC copied RCTW and RCTW copied PC" posts are getting real old.

In regards to this update... Sandbox mode is no longer "total freedom" mode? If I want to build something really cool in Sandbox mode, I now have to unlock certain items by completing missions? That's not good. Don't mess with Sandbox mode! If you want people to earn research points to buy cool stuff, you should think along the lines of a "Master Park." As you complete missions, objectives, parks, you earn special research points or money that you can use to buy special one-of-a-kind cool items to build your own "Master Park." Or.... unlock things to build your "dream home" including adding a railroad in your backyard, etc. Think outside the box instead of limiting our abilities in sandbox.

Other than that - love the update and look forward to learning more.

Wabigbear
10-28-2016, 12:46 PM
-It seems Mini-Golf is confirmed. Nice. Now let's see what it actually looks like and how (well) it works.

All I see is a scenario based around a golf course, that's not confirming mini-golf...

deathtome
10-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Respectfully, the "PC copied RCTW and RCTW copied PC" posts are getting real old.

In regards to this update... Sandbox mode is no longer "total freedom" mode? If I want to build something really cool in Sandbox mode, I now have to unlock certain items by completing missions? That's not good. Don't mess with Sandbox mode! If you want people to earn research points to buy cool stuff, you should think along the lines of a "Master Park." As you complete missions, objectives, parks, you earn special research points or money that you can use to buy special one-of-a-kind cool items to build your own "Master Park." Or.... unlock things to build your "dream home" including adding a railroad in your backyard, etc. Think outside the box instead of limiting our abilities in sandbox.

Other than that - love the update and look forward to learning more.

IKR its amazing how its just a copy cat game of RCT games yet it gets all the praise that it does

jsdnmd
10-28-2016, 03:14 PM
When will the finished and WORKING product EVER be released so I can buy it? My grand-kids have been waiting ever since the big to-do announcement last December-January, which was then aborted, and now they have almost completely lost interest. Such a shame - they were genuinely excited to play Grandpa's game....which never came about. Thanks....

sev7777
10-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Other than the hopes of a ton of flat rides, transport rides, water rides, more stalls, etc... my only concern is with the progression or mission mode. So if some of us finish these missions and unlock the scenery, and we share some of our own creations using this unlockable scenery in the UGC, that means the person who is downloading it must also have the exact same scenery unlocked?

IMO that just ruins the sandbox mode for me. I like the idea of maybe rides being unlocked, but to me, the scenery is going to be a weird situation if you dont specify to the person downloading the UGC, what mission needs to be completed before that UGC is fully functionable.

DanPlayer01
10-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Other than the hopes of a ton of flat rides, transport rides, water rides, more stalls, etc... my only concern is with the progression or mission mode. So if some of us finish these missions and unlock the scenery, and we share some of our own creations using this unlockable scenery in the UGC, that means the person who is downloading it must also have the exact same scenery unlocked?

IMO that just ruins the sandbox mode for me. I like the idea of maybe rides being unlocked, but to me, the scenery is going to be a weird situation if you dont specify to the person downloading the UGC, what mission needs to be completed before that UGC is fully functionable.

I would think you could share a sandbox park with anyone perfectly fine. Sandbox parks have unlimited money and I would imagine all rides and scenery are unlocked, unlike the campaign mode.

Prody67
10-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Nicely said JMR - Love the look of the progression board and menus - at last we can maybe actually read the names of workshop items.
But still too many things being glossed over from that list..

OMG! Another Beaker :)
Looks great, looking forward to it!!!!!

Prody67
10-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Also, my opinion is that it should look a bit like RCT3, after all it's the next evolution
of the RCT Franchise.
Albeit 12 years later. I have / love Planet Coaster, but these are different beasts.
PC is not based on the RCT Franchise but RCTW is.
Just my opinion.

sev7777
10-28-2016, 05:37 PM
this is what they said in the article that concerns me though.

As you complete these missions, you’ll be granted Research Points, which can then be used to unlock over 100 new scenery items. Those items will then be available for you in the Sandbox builder. Along with the core Sandbox building experience, this new progression system gives players a whole new way to interact with RCTW. We can’t wait for you to try it!

Bitter Jeweler
10-28-2016, 05:52 PM
IKR its amazing how its just a copy cat game of RCT games yet it gets all the praise that it does
So much praise that Nvizzio is copying it. But that's ok with you, innit?

Hointar
10-28-2016, 06:39 PM
I personally could care less about scenarios!
If you have to play through all scenarios to open all the content in the Sandbox Builder, you'll lose me once again (not that you already haven’t)
Get it right for everyone that plays the game or just give up!

freez99313
10-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Atari, you guys have truly outdone yourselves. This is amazing and I can't wait till the game comes out of Early Access. Thank you for listening to the fans. Perhaps this game might be the best RCT game yet!?

Abbittibbi
10-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Peeps version 2 and fireworks, I do see fireworks...

That is cool! One of the best feature I love to use, bring it on!

jdavies
10-28-2016, 11:00 PM
And nothing was mentioned here about making tunnels and having roller coasters and path's going through the tunnels and nothing was said also about making Rivers and waterfalls

Beaker86
10-29-2016, 04:07 AM
Just a point of clarification regarding sandbox and sharing parks

Currently when you share a park the user that doenloads it can visit but notnedit the park.

Also Nvizzio confirmed that there will be a Free Play mode for sandbox with everything unlocked in a post within the Theme Park Simulation Games Facebok group last night:
# OWNER POST #

#RollerCoasterTycoonWorld NEW GAME INFORMATION

After my recent post about the words said by RCT World I have been contacted by NVizzio and told they are in fact not correct. This was argued by me as I do believe the details didn't match the new details given.

However. This is new RCTW information direct from NVizzio.

'RCTW will have a Story Mode and a Sandbox Mode. Since it is rewarding for some players to unlock items in Story Mode, to then be able to use them in Sandbox (not in a scenario). We are offering a sandbox mode that is tied into our story mode and progression system.

That being said, we understand some players do not want to play Story Mode at all and do not want progression. Therefore, we offer a Sandbox : FREE PLAY MODE. In this mode, the players can play a full sandbox mode with all assets unlocked from the very start.

We offer both possibilities, for all kinds of players to enjoy the game.'

Whist I did argue my case about the original post I'm happy to post this from NVizzio as RCT is a game we want to succeed. The negativity towards the game is, what I feel justified as I must say when we praise it or any other game members do not complain. Critiquing a game is our right as buyers. While my words do not represent the words of all the memebers here, I will not stop being honest about a game as this is my view. While this upsets some of you, please understand that we welcome any lovers of theme park games. If you take negativity as being influenced then you may be looking too much into that and should accept everyone's views do not match your own.

I've said countless times that I wish RCTW to be a success but if it is not the games the fans want and the quality we deserve, if we part with our own money, why should we accept it?

- Chris (Co-Owner/ Admin)

jdavies
10-29-2016, 12:53 PM
This update will either make the game or Break the game

Philmon11
10-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Atari HQ:

"Hey, when is planet coaster releasing?"
"Uhhh a little over two weeks."
"REALLY? Quick! Fool everybody that's left into thinking we care about the game and push it out before PC!"
"But... what about the things we promised we'd give them in Early Access?"
"Do it because I can fire you."
"Okay boss..."

That's exactly what happens.

Snick3rsAUS
10-30-2016, 02:13 AM
Great news about the redesign of the peeps and other features.... Really looking forward to it. I am concerned however that the peeps in tha picture look lifeless. They all have zero expression on their faces. Is that woman cheering? having a stretch? Little girl looks totally P'd off sitting there. Maybe she's having the time of her life. Can't tell

MrBob101
10-30-2016, 03:04 PM
I really hope this update knocks it out of the ball park! Good luck!

Zerael
10-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Dev Blog #1
Additional and New themes over time
Additional Flat Rides
More scenery items
Path improvements
Terrain deformation improvements

Dev Blog #9
MASS DELETE TOOL – ALPHA FEATURE
STAFF HEATMAPS – ALPHA FEATURE

Dev Blog #11
STAFF PATROL AREAS (ALPHA VERSION)

Dev Blog #15
PIECE-BY-PIECE (ALPHA RELEASE)

http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/home/breatheh/public_html//exhale/uploads/emoticons/MJ.gif

Atari please don't rush release this

osudenny
10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
I just hope they make one more item. I would love to a stand alone vendor for the shops that was made for this game by it's fans. With the right to sell what you wish, the price of the objects, may it be food, drinks, or a gift shop items. This much we deserve for asking them to make.

Remco
11-01-2016, 09:01 AM
This update will either make the game or Break the game

Mostly it's the last one :p

DanPlayer01
11-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Any new news? :D

Zerael
11-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Any new news? :D

they're in QA right now http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/home/breatheh/public_html//exhale/uploads/emoticons/shhh.gif

DanPlayer01
11-10-2016, 05:11 PM
November 16, here we come. :D

Snick3rsAUS
11-10-2016, 06:40 PM
November 16, here we come. :D

Yeah....well....this update had better be MASSIVE or I won't be coming back to the game for a long time (if they even continue developing it) :(