PDA

View Full Version : Vegetation

Forgath
09-26-2016, 01:11 PM
I downloaded a vegetation pack from the Asset Unity Store. Credit goes to Thorsten Ames. The thought behind it was to give / create some more vegetation diversity in the game

Its quite a large pack so it will take me some time.

While implementing objects ingame i noticed they turned purple. So the textures didnt transfer over properly from Unity. I altered the textures from custom made to 'standard', and that seems to work.

you get this:
The colours are less intense, so you could call this a 'light' version if you wish. But the purple colour issue is no more.

Im considering to make the palm trees a bit larger. Feel free to comment.

DonSPa
09-26-2016, 01:39 PM
when they updated the nvizzio unity plugin it messed up shaders.The standard shader is the work around til they fix it to whenever they update the plugin again.I made a post asking if they know when the next update will be so keep an eye out there.They do have the nvizzio shader but i havnt figured how to use it so i stick with the standard.Id much rather use the legacy shaders

Beaker86
09-26-2016, 01:51 PM
I would hope that they will have that in place for the update which is targetted for 4th of October.

Forgath
09-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Thank you for the reply DonSpa. Then i know it's not on my end. I will upload the vegetation pack later this week using the standard shader.

Forgath
09-26-2016, 05:26 PM
I assume LOD means 'level of detail'? I understand and share your concerns SleepyPanda. I will check out tomorrow how large an object is when uploaded to steam.

Forgath
09-27-2016, 02:42 AM
The three plants i showed above in the ingame picture are around 7mb each.

the vertical vine is 5.6mb, and the horizontal one 7mb.

I am not certain what is acceptable / generally required.

Beaker86
09-27-2016, 04:00 AM
But they look pretty... Lol

Forgath
09-27-2016, 04:24 AM
But they look pretty... Lol

I agree with you that they look pretty :)
But there are enough issues with the game at the moment, so i dont wish to increase them by adding objects that are considered to large in Mb size. Ill try to decrease the shader-density, and see if that makes a difference in file-size.

Beaker86
09-27-2016, 05:14 AM
Lol yeah im generally steering clear of UGC just now although even the in game fences cause horrific lag

Forgath
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Can anyone help me out on the following?

I am trying to put all the vegetation in a pack, giving each object their own screenshot ingame (in the pack), so its easier to separate / pick them. In Unity however, every object is being placed on the same spot. To avoid cluttering I can move the plants side-ways (in Unity). But after uploading, the camera ingame has not moved with it. The plant / object is '5 steps' to the side of my center point of view.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Am I missing a (simple) step I need to take in the pack-builder of Unity?

thank you in advance :)

Beaker86
09-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Can anyone help me out on the following?

I am trying to put all the vegetation in a pack, giving each object their own screenshot ingame (in the pack), so its easier to separate / pick them. In Unity however, every object is being placed on the same spot. To avoid cluttering I can move the plants side-ways (in Unity). But after uploading, the camera ingame has not moved with it. The plant / object is '5 steps' to the side of my center point of view.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Am I missing a (simple) step I need to take in the pack-builder of Unity?

thank you in advance :)
Id suggest you message deathtome, majherbhead or deadlyaccurate as they all have packs already up on steam. I know Deathtome also did some work with matmatmat who is the project leader for PxP on the pdf that was produced for the new plugin which is here
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RCTW_PxP_UGC_Plugin.pdf

Forgath
09-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Beaker86, I will text then. I did read through the .pdf but could not find anything about my issue.

Forgath
09-30-2016, 03:15 AM
I got the package ingame:

44 pieces of vegetation, including 3 rocks and a frog!

I will upload them later today to Steam :)

Beaker86
09-30-2016, 05:36 AM

:o thats huge! You doing it as a pack or individual pieces?

Forgath
09-30-2016, 05:47 AM
I am uploading it as a pack. Had certain issues getting every single object on a seperate screenshot, but thanks to the help from deathtome, majherbhead and deadlyaccurate i got it working.

I hope it will give people alot more freedom and creativity in using plants in and around what they are building. :)

Beaker86
09-30-2016, 07:09 AM

Awesome - I think packs are the way to go for objects like these due to the freedom with the rotation/elevation. Looking forward to trying them out.

Forgath
09-30-2016, 11:41 AM
ok, the vegetation pack is uploaded to the Steam Workshop. Feel free to try it out. And regardless if your experience is positive or negative, please let me know. This is my first uploaded pack, so i will take all the help i get.

Its a vegetation pack of 44 pieces, including 3 rocks and a coloured frog. The plants are textured from one side only. So in case you dont 'see' a hanging plant, turn it around.

extra note: the hanging ivy and large hanging fern are placed a bit low on the scene (partly underground). So move them up first.

majherbhead
09-30-2016, 02:00 PM
ok, the vegetation pack is uploaded to the Steam Workshop. Feel free to try it out. And regardless if your experience is positive or negative, please let me know. This is my first uploaded pack, so i will take all the help i get.

Its a vegetation pack of 44 pieces, including 3 rocks and a coloured frog. The plants are textured from one side only. So in case you dont 'see' a hanging plant, turn it around.

extra note: the hanging ivy and large hanging fern are placed a bit low on the scene (partly underground). So move them up first.

Nice pack. All works fine for me. I like the little Frog.

The only thing that I would note is, it might be worth individually theming some of them. Some of the plants could easily be Adventure.

DonSPa
10-01-2016, 03:08 PM

I responded on the steam page but in case u missed it :
if u find u have items that are below ground in game then what u need to do is in unity make sure the main model(parent) position and rotation is all 0's then click on the clone and set that to the height above ground to the position u want it ,then click apply and save the work,this will help keep models above ground while in game

majherbhead
10-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I responded on the steam page but in case u missed it :
if u find u have items that are below ground in game then what u need to do is in unity make sure the main model(parent) position and rotation is all 0's then click on the clone and set that to the height above ground to the position u want it ,then click apply and save the work,this will help keep models above ground while in game

Good advice. I clicked on one of the Hanging/climbers and thought that it hadn't worked. Turns out you need to raise it up because its underground.
To add to what DonSPa said, don't forget to change the position of the collider box after changing the Height of the child/clone so that it correlate's with the child/clones new position.

Forgath
10-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Thank you both for your advice! I will certainly keep it in mind.

About raising a hanging plant: I tried explaining it as comment on the steam page but that might not be the best solution. Perhaps I should consider editing the pack, and re-upload it.

DonSPa
10-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Thank you both for your advice! I will certainly keep it in mind.

About raising a hanging plant: I tried explaining it as comment on the steam page but that might not be the best solution. Perhaps I should consider editing the pack, and re-upload it.

yeah it wouldnt hurt to reupload,just make a side not for those that allready downloaded it that they may need to disable the pack then refresh ,then reenable it again for the new changes to take place