PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the new UGC plugin and PDF

DeadlyAccurate
08-30-2016, 03:08 PM
I read the 26-page PDF, and there are a few things I'm unclear on.

Is it a good idea to put all UGC that's in a collection into a pack as if they're PxP pieces, even if they don't have walls, floors, etc.? My Candyland pack is getting pretty large, and it would great if I could keep it all together in a single pack.
Should all our existing UGC be switched over to use the Nvizzio shaders?
Should transparency still be placed on the Albedo map's alpha channel?
What if you want to make multiple parts of a model recolorable? Is that possible?

DonSPa
08-30-2016, 07:09 PM
where did u get a new ugc plugin?and im guessing this plugin is causing some ugc to turn purple and if so what is the fix?i have over 200 uploaded ugc and hoping i dont have to go thru each one and fix

DoctorPelusa
08-30-2016, 07:19 PM
where did u get a new ugc plugin?and im guessing this plugin is causing some ugc to turn purple and if so what is the fix?i have over 200 uploaded ugc and hoping i dont have to go thru each one and fix

The reason some UGC went purple is because some of the shaders have been modified, they mentioned something else about it on the stream but I couldn't understand it, the new plugin is the UGCPlugin folder of the game installation, you can open that location from steam. ;)

DeadlyAccurate
08-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Should be something like \Steam\steamapps\common\RollerCoaster Tycoon World\RollerCoaster Tycoon World_Data\UGCPlugin

And yeah, if UGC is purple, it's because the textures aren't mapping to their respective areas on the materials properly.

DonSPa
08-30-2016, 07:34 PM
The reason some UGC went purple is because some of the shaders have been modified, they mentioned something else about it on the stream but I couldn't understand it, the new plugin is the UGCPlugin folder of the game installation, you can open that location from steam. ;)

ty doctor,i just uploaded a model and wanted to test it in game first before making it public and noticed it was purple

DonSPa
08-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Should be something like \Steam\steamapps\common\RollerCoaster Tycoon World\RollerCoaster Tycoon World_Data\UGCPlugin

And yeah, if UGC is purple, it's because the textures aren't mapping to their respective areas on the materials properly.

ty DA,so how do we fix our ugc?

DeadlyAccurate
08-30-2016, 07:48 PM
I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure, but you might need to change the shader to the one listed on step 7 here: http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RCTW_PxP_UGC_Plugin.pdf (about page 11).

Beaker86
08-31-2016, 08:34 AM
Hi guys i know that Deathtome did a ton of work with Steven and Mathieu over the past week or two with the plugin.
If you guys add him on steam he might be able to help (hes said its ok lol)

Forgath
08-31-2016, 09:15 AM
ah, so it aint just me who had suddenly a box full of purple instead of a box filled with flowers :D

DonSPa
08-31-2016, 02:03 PM
ah, so it aint just me who had suddenly a box full of purple instead of a box filled with flowers :D

nope not just u,im going thru all my models and seeing which ones are affected,so that means taking them 1 at a time and with the limit on assets that means i have to enable a few go in game and test ,then go out disable those ones and then enable a few more until ive checked them all a real pain in the @zz lol

MatMatMat
08-31-2016, 03:20 PM
I read the 26-page PDF, and there are a few things I'm unclear on.

Is it a good idea to put all UGC that's in a collection into a pack as if they're PxP pieces, even if they don't have walls, floors, etc.? My Candyland pack is getting pretty large, and it would great if I could keep it all together in a single pack.
Should all our existing UGC be switched over to use the Nvizzio shaders?
Should transparency still be placed on the Albedo map's alpha channel?
What if you want to make multiple parts of a model recolorable? Is that possible?

Hey DeadlyAccurate, Mathieu here, lead game designer on the PxP team.

Here are some info that could help you.

1. The actual answer to this depends on your total number of objects, their themes and their dimensions.
For this question I assume your are talking about these 24 objects.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=282560&searchtext=Candyland&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=items

Then I would say yes, it's a good idea to convert them over into a PxP Pack.
They all have 1 strong theme (Candyland), it's not 100 pieces but 24, and these would be really nice if they had the ability to be recolored.

As you can see in the game already, we actually ship with 5 packs: the 5th one called "Building Extras" might be a good reference for you.
This Pack includes around 30 pieces, all of them are either Extras or Deco & Lights, not Walls/Tiles/Roofs.
As long as your Pack title and description are explicit, the community shouldn't have any problem downloading and using a Candyland Pack made of Extras only.

2. Each piece of a UGC Pack should use the new Nvizzio shaders provided in the updated Plugin, so as to be compatible with the recoloring of the Colors tab. Existing UGC (scenery) that is not converted into UGC Packs can keep the same shaders.

3. In short, yes.
For transparent pieces from a UGC Pack, there are 2 shaders:
NvizzioStandard_PBP_AT which are cutout transparency (plants, etc)
NvizzioStandard_PBP_AlphaBlend, for transparency like windows.
I believe you are looking for NvizzioStandard_PBP_AlphaBlend, and indeed you should put your transparency in the alpha channel of the Albedo texture.

4. With the current shader it is not possible to have multiple parts from the same piece tinted. However if multiple players from the community really really want/need it, we can look into it :)

DeadlyAccurate
08-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Thanks for your response! I have a couple more questions now that I've had a chance to play around with it more.

In the Building Extras, I noticed the Beverage Topper and the Burger have only part of their areas recolorable. How is that being achieved?

I also noticed that the Taco isn't recolorable at all. How do we make an object that can't be recolored at all but is still part of the PxP system?

DoctorPelusa
08-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks for your response! I have a couple more questions now that I've had a chance to play around with it more.

In the Building Extras, I noticed the Beverage Topper and the Burger have only part of their areas recolorable. How is that being achieved?

I also noticed that the Taco isn't recolorable at all. How do we make an object that can't be recolored at all but is still part of the PxP system?

Page 24:
If only a portion of the piece should be color tinted, your alpha inthe Albedo texture should be using black and white: the piece willbe color-tinted only on the areas specified as white.

MatMatMat
08-31-2016, 03:50 PM
4. With the current shader it is not possible to have multiple parts from the same piece tinted. However if multiple players from the community really really want/need it, we can look into it :)

To be a bit clearer with the color tinting on parts:
- it is currently possible to have one part of the mesh tinted while the rest of the mesh isn't affected by the tint
- it is currently not possible to have one part of the mesh tinted while a second part of the mesh is tinted with a second tint.

DeadlyAccurate
08-31-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks, both of you. That helps a lot.

MatMatMat
08-31-2016, 03:55 PM

Indeed just like DoctorPelusa answered above, you can specify the portion that you want color-tinted in the alpha of the Albedo texture.
Also, on my machine I have the taco recolorable...I can make blue tacos.
Which one are you looking at?

And for your last question, when using the NvizzioStandard_PBP shader if you put the alpha of the Albedo texture as all black it will not receive any tinting done by the Colors tab.

DeadlyAccurate
08-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Indeed just like DoctorPelusa answered above, you can specify the portion that you want color-tinted in the alpha of the Albedo texture.
Also, on my machine I have the taco recolorable...I can make blue tacos.
Which one are you looking at?

It was the one in the Building Extras pack, same place as the beverage topper. I couldn't click on it at all once it was placed, so I couldn't change the color.

MatMatMat
08-31-2016, 04:34 PM
It was the one in the Building Extras pack, same place as the beverage topper. I couldn't click on it at all once it was placed, so I couldn't change the color.

Ok will look into that, thanks.

DonSPa
08-31-2016, 10:32 PM
dang I cant seem to figure it out ,ive chosen the nvizzio shaders and no matter what they still show purple in game :(

DeadlyAccurate
09-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Anyone else have problems with the individual item in the pack showing its image in the game? My Previews image is correct, and both cameras in the scene are viewing the object, but the object image is blank. (The pack image is showing up, though).

MatMatMat
09-01-2016, 11:25 AM
dang I cant seem to figure it out ,ive chosen the nvizzio shaders and no matter what they still show purple in game :(

Could you post screenshots of what you are trying to achieve vs what you are seeing ?

hupulups
09-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Some of my ugc are purple too! For example my carnivor plant is purple and my king kong is white?? So i have to rebuild them??:confused:

MatMatMat
09-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Some of my ugc are purple too! For example my carnivor plant is purple and my king kong is white?? So i have to rebuild them??:confused:

We are preparing a fix for some UGC scenery for the next update, and some clarification will be posted in the forums soon about how you can resolve that.

DonSPa
09-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Could you post screenshots of what you are trying to achieve vs what you are seeing ?
6333 6334 6335 6336 6337

DonSPa
09-01-2016, 05:39 PM
and this one.the first pic is what it looked like before the nvizzio plugin,the 2nd is just an example of what it looks like in game no matter which shader I use now even the original,the rest are the different settings ive tried using to make it work

DonSPa
09-01-2016, 05:43 PM
what worries me is I only checked 23 models and out of those 12 need redone and I still have over 200 models that I havnt even looked at yet so I'm guessing 1/2 of the models ive uploaded are going to be messed up

DoctorPelusa
09-01-2016, 05:46 PM
what worries me is I only checked 23 models and out of those 12 need redone and I still have over 200 models that I havnt even looked at yet so I'm guessing 1/2 of the models ive uploaded are going to be messed up

According to what MatMat said they would fix themselves for the next patch if you're lucky; if you still want to port them over a PbP pack (which I recommend) then you might wanna check this:

If only a portion of the piece should be color tinted, your alpha in the Albedo texture should be using black and white: the piece will be color-tinted only on the areas specified as white.
For quick tests, you can use the following values in the 4 channels of your S/O/E/G texture:
• The red channel (used for Specular): all black
• The green channel (used for Occlusion): all white
• The blue channel (used for Emissive): all black
• The alpha channel (used for Glossiness) all black
You can look at the template folder, which include exampletextures that you can reuse for quick tests on your own pieces.

You can find more details on the UGC guide. (Link has been posted previously)

DonSPa
09-01-2016, 05:59 PM
if you still want to port them over a PbP pack (which I recommend) then you might wanna check this:

actually id rather keep the shaders that I had originally had them as,i like the legacy diffuse shaders,like the pics of the model I posted the original looked nice but using the nvizzio shaders makes it look like its wrapped in plastic that bubbled up

MatMatMat
09-01-2016, 06:21 PM
6333 6334 6335 6336 6337

Here are various info about UGC scenery VS UGC PxP Packs:

- The 4 new shaders provided in the updated plugin are made for UGC PxP Packs.
- We are aware of the fact the multiple UGC scenery objects already uploaded to the Steam Workshop are now displaying as pink.
- Unity version 5.3 is responsible for those pink objects, but because we can't rely on Unity themselves fixing it in time we are at least trying to have a fix that helps you with that.

Some info about UGC scenery (NOT UGC PxP Packs):
- It is highly recommended that all your UGC scenery objects use the new Standard Shader provided by Unity, when your UGC scenery allows it, for instance: regular metallic objects, plastic objects, objects made of rocks, emissive objects.
- Note that custom shaders for UGC scenery is allowed, but we cannot guarantee the forward compatibility of those shaders. If your custom shader breaks, you will have to update your UGC scenery and re-upload it to the Steam Workshop.
- In the fix we are preparing, we have specifically added some non-standard shaders to help with the pink issue.
- If one of your UGC scenery is using one of the shaders in the list below, you won't have to re-upload it, getting our next update via Steam will solve the pink issue.
- If one of your UGC scenery is NOT using one the shaders in the list below, you will have to update your UGC scenery and re-upload it.

Finally, to put even more emphasis on this: it is recommended to use Unity's Standard Shader as much as possible.

The update for the pink issue should be available in the next regular update.

DonSPa
09-01-2016, 06:56 PM
ty matmat in most of all the models ive uploaded I used the legacy diffuse and legacy self illum shaders

DeadlyAccurate
09-01-2016, 08:06 PM

I noticed in this image you're placing a regular image in a normal map slot. This is an example of what a normal map should look like:

http://galaxycityradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/01_normals_example.png

Also, the S/O/E/G texture is split, four-channel image, where each channel (red, green, blue, alpha) holds its own grayscale image. (specular, [ambient] occlusion, emissive, glossiness). It appears as if you're putting your albedo texture in the second slot.

Try using this image in your S/O/E/G texture slot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3274401/SOEG%20Test.tif

It's a simple four-channel test image that assigns black to the Specular, Emissive, and Glossiness channels and white to the Occlusion channel.

And then don't put anything in your normal map slot.

I'm not saying this is the problem with the pink textures; just something I noticed.

Edit: And of course there are a half a dozen posts by the time I get done writing this. :-)

DonSPa
09-01-2016, 11:00 PM
I noticed in this image you're placing a regular image in a normal map slot. This is an example of what a normal map should look like:

http://galaxycityradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/01_normals_example.png

Also, the S/O/E/G texture is split, four-channel image, where each channel (red, green, blue, alpha) holds its own grayscale image. (specular, [ambient] occlusion, emissive, glossiness). It appears as if you're putting your albedo texture in the second slot.

Try using this image in your S/O/E/G texture slot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3274401/SOEG%20Test.tif

It's a simple four-channel test image that assigns black to the Specular, Emissive, and Glossiness channels and white to the Occlusion channel.

And then don't put anything in your normal map slot.

I'm not saying this is the problem with the pink textures; just something I noticed.

Edit: And of course there are a half a dozen posts by the time I get done writing this. :-)

ty DA,i was showing all the different things i was doing to try and correct the models,i am probally going to wait before doing anything to the allready uploaded models until after the next update to see if they fixed the pink/purple but i am going to mess around a bit and use that file u added to see if this helps my case any,but after matmat said about the update im thinking it should correct itself since the shaders i use most were on that list ,at least i have my fingers crossed

DeadlyAccurate
09-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Anyone else have problems with the individual item in the pack showing its image in the game? My Previews image is correct, and both cameras in the scene are viewing the object, but the object image is blank. (The pack image is showing up, though).

Reposting this, because I'm still having the issue. I don't know if I should report it as a bug, or if I'm doing something wrong.

In Unity, I click Insert Preview Images in Pack, and I make sure the Camera_gumdrop and Camera_ice cream cone are pointed at the objects. The Preview images look right in Unity.

Forgath
09-02-2016, 06:12 AM
that empty picture-slot reminds me of when i had several UGC-objects not showing in my list. They were there, i could select and place them, but the image was not showing. I am not able to give you a solution though, sorry.

DeadlyAccurate
09-02-2016, 11:11 PM
I think I found the problem. I used the wrong version of Unity. I have to have 5.4 installed for my work, and 5.3 installed for RCTW, and I opened up the wrong version when I made the project.

DeadlyAccurate
09-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Nope, that doesn't seem to be it. I made a whole new project in the correct version and made sure to carefully follow the steps in the PDF. No image.

MatMatMat
09-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Nope, that doesn't seem to be it. I made a whole new project in the correct version and made sure to carefully follow the steps in the PDF. No image.

Hello again DeadlyAccurate!

We tested several times here on different machines with 5.3.5p7 and even with 5.4, and the thumbnails were generated correctly.
Could you post here detailed steps on how you got this?

DeadlyAccurate
09-07-2016, 10:02 PM
I'll use the gumdrop as an example and give you my step-by-step.

Import the gumdrop.fbx and the three .tif files
Create the Candyland project through the RCTW tool
Select Piece by Piece pack
Click on Piece by Piece Extra
Assign the gumdrop.fbx to the GameObject, give it a name, and click Create
Create a material and assign the Nvizzio Standard shader and assign the textures
Assign the material to the prefab's mesh renderer
Fill out the Piece Asset script on the prefab for cost, etc.
Copy the scene's prefab back to the Candyland project folder
Rename the prefab to uppercase Gumdrop -- [my personal organization system is to make prefabs uppercase and meshes lowercase]
Click on the camera_gumdrop and hit Ctrl+Shift+F so the gumdrop is visible
Click Build Candyland - [at this point there is a 256x256 image in the Previews folder]
Click Include Previews In Pack
Enable in RCTW

Edit: As I was writing these steps, I was running through them in Unity to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Except one. I didn't bother to uppercase my prefabs. And my images showed up. I then went ahead and changed one to uppercase, clicked Build and Include Previews, and...the image for that object wasn't there. As a final step, I renamed the preview image to have the exact case as the prefab, and...voila! Image again. Checked with a second item and the same thing.

So I'll post on the bug report post I made.

deathtome
09-16-2016, 05:27 AM
<<<<<======== Currently making some videos. :D

Forgath
09-16-2016, 11:40 AM
If I update my unity version, will I be able to make UGC that gives no collision with the ground?

deathtome
09-16-2016, 06:08 PM
If I update my unity version, will I be able to make UGC that gives no collision with the ground?

As of right now the only way I know you can make ugc that doesnt collide with the ground is for it to be part of the PbP system and not part of the standard UGC.