PDA

View Full Version : should guests get a complete overhaul?

Coordinator
07-06-2016, 09:27 PM
wow, this place has been quite inactive since i was last online.

so a month after posting my review i notice little to no improvements on the guests. some people including myself fear that what we have now will end up in the final game, so i'd like to see the communities response on whether Nvizzio should completely change the guests or leave them they way they are.

here are a few examples of why i think they should be completely redesigned:

Appearance

they are very unattractive and send me straight down uncanney valley. they have unusually large eyes with huge pupils that are soulless, even a bit of shine or reflection on them would make them more lifelike. also, they have very similar skinny body builds, no fat or muscular guests. there is very little variation in clothing or facial features so you will often see the same guests walking around, and some even have confusing design choices such as the teenager with a mohawk and grey moustache. hysterically, the models of some guests clothes aren't even models but just flat textures like their hoods on their sweaters.

Animations

for a professional game company, the guests animations are a complete insult to animators. so many of the on-ride animations are completely unnatural and stiff with guests holding onto nothing, doing a weird t-rex arms and shoulder movements, tilting their heads in strange positions, running like buffoons, doing the moonwalk slide forward etc. the transition of animations on rides are so jarring it makes me wonder why there is no major attempt to fix them yet. additionally, there is no facial animations so the guests never blink and always have the same face!

it seems that whoever initially worked on the "new" guests after pipeworks did a really poor job and made them difficult to work with. i'm still seeing glitches from EA launch like the sliding guest, including newer glitches. heck, I fear that when group guests eventually comes, it is going to be catastrophic. this is why i think it would be better for Nivizzio to start them from scratch now, because if they decide to fix or change them later, they're going to have to go through more work over what they already made, especially if remaking them conflicts with other stuff they programmed.

so what do you guys think? do you like the way the guests are now or would you rather have either their appearance or animations improved now? would you prefer guests to be completely redesigned?

B3DDO3
07-06-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm voted for Animation and Appearance both need work, but almost a complete redesign, need work as in a lot of work haha. So I was torn between the 2

Bitter Jeweler
07-06-2016, 10:20 PM
It's too late. The Peeps are baked in. They do not have the time or resources to completely redo them, and all their animations, with all the other stuff that needs to happen.

B3DDO3
07-06-2016, 10:57 PM
It's too late. The Peeps are baked in. They do not have the time or resources to completely redo them, and all their animations, with all the other stuff that needs to happen.

I don't think anyone believes they'll actually be redesigned, I think the OP was asking should they.

Bitter Jeweler
07-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Of course they should. They should have done a lot of things.

Casiquire
07-07-2016, 02:10 AM
I don't hate their appearance, but I think it could stand some touch-ups and little changes. Animations need a lot more work though. They need facial animations and improved animations during activities. What I mean by that is ride operators and the workers at the front gate should do more than wave at a particular interval--they should wave when a guest passes in front of them within a specific distance and the rest of the time should have a standing animation. The animations should be touched up getting on and off rides and when buying items from stalls. Guest faces should animate depending on what they're doing, obviously, and it shouldn't be static like it is now where they move on to a new face that doesn't move until their emotion changes, etc. The walking animation isn't bad anymore, but the running animation could be touched up. So I really don't think they need to start completely from scratch but they do need some big improvements.

Zerael
07-07-2016, 05:37 AM
Peeps was the most hated things in RCTW they should know that already http://exhalecdn.breatheheavy.com/uploads/emoticons/beynaah.gif

Wabigbear
07-07-2016, 07:10 AM
I don't think for a moment that they'll scrap everything and start over from scratch, but while improvements HAVE been made, both the animations and appearances need a LOT of work yet.

Peeps in this game will never be at the same level as those in Planet Coaster. And in my opinion that's okay. I just want peeps who's looks and actions aren't distractions. The peeps in RCT3 were hideous, but they also weren't really distracting either. They added background kinetics to our parks.

If they can get RCTw's peeps to look and act a little more natural and not stand out like a sore thumb I'll be happy.

DanPlayer01
07-07-2016, 08:47 AM
I'm completely fine if they left them the way they currently are. The animation could definitely use some work. I think for the most part, the appearance is fine.

Remco
07-08-2016, 10:08 AM
They do not need a complete overhaul. The biggest issues are the peep animations and their faces in my opinion.

Vanillepink
07-08-2016, 01:28 PM

It's never too late.

DanPlayer01
07-08-2016, 01:46 PM
It's never too late.

Does that mean your working on them? :confused:

Vanillepink
07-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Does that mean your working on them? :confused:

Nope it doesn't mean that.
What I meant to say is that in any games, any models ingame can be modified or redone.

DanPlayer01
07-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Nope it doesn't mean that.
What I meant to say is that in any games, any models ingame can be modified or redone.

Didn't think so, I think they look fine, maybe a few tweaks, especially with the animation. I want more staff types! Where's the inspector?

Vanillepink
07-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Didn't think so, I think they look fine, maybe a few tweaks, especially with the animation. I want more staff types! Where's the inspector?

I take note of that idea :)

saaby
07-10-2016, 03:37 AM
The peeps are horrible and need to be redone. The have no personality and the animations are really bad. Thats what the developers should be focusing on because to me this needs the most work.

Coordinator
07-10-2016, 10:54 PM
four days later and already 33 people voted with 18 voting guests should be completely redone, 12 voting animation and appearance need work, and 3 voting appearance in fine but needs work.

hopefully this poll will act as a indicator that the guests really need to be addressed.

Bitter Jeweler
07-10-2016, 10:57 PM
I think they need to be made weirder!

When the one blond chick runs by like Phoebe, from FRIENDS. It makes me laugh. I love it!

0BobTheJanitor
07-11-2016, 05:41 PM
You guys don't see me, I left a while ago, and only return as a ghost...

I just want to leave this here:
https://archive.org/details/GDC2014Rosen

These guys are an inspiration to everyone.

magicart87
07-11-2016, 06:38 PM
You guys don't see me, I left a while ago, and only return as a ghost...

I just want to leave this here:
https://archive.org/details/GDC2014Rosen

These guys are an inspiration to everyone.

Great video!

Hersheypark2011
07-12-2016, 03:44 PM
I voted for animation and appearance both need work. As for appearance, I think the main problem is there still aren't enough "types" of guests. The general design of most I like, but I see repeating ones constantly. More variety of clothes and different faces/hair would seem the quicker way to fix this, instead of designing more completely different bodies (not that completely new additional models wouldn't be cool too). I do agree the eyes are a little big (a little! please don't go opposite making them too small). For animation, it seems just about about everything needs tweaked/improved/completely redone, or in some cases entire new animations added. Basically the only animation I'm content with is the walking, but even that could be improved a little.

*Side request (beg):
Please make a guest editor/creator??? To make our own peeps or edit using a current model. Essentially an editor for idiots like me who have no idea how to make UGC. Being able to make them in the game seems it would be infinitely easier than importing a UGC guest (if that's even possible yet). Features would include face design, skin color, body type, hair type/color, clothes, clothes colors, and choosing guest stats/preferences. Naming them too ofc!
*Side request 2:
Controllable peeps when in 1st-person camera mode?

DanPlayer01
07-13-2016, 06:46 PM
I voted for animation and appearance both need work. As for appearance, I think the main problem is there still aren't enough "types" of guests. The general design of most I like, but I see repeating ones constantly. More variety of clothes and different faces/hair would seem the quicker way to fix this, instead of designing more completely different bodies (not that completely new additional models wouldn't be cool too). I do agree the eyes are a little big (a little! please don't go opposite making them too small). For animation, it seems just about about everything needs tweaked/improved/completely redone, or in some cases entire new animations added. Basically the only animation I'm content with is the walking, but even that could be improved a little.

*Side request (beg):
Please make a guest editor/creator??? To make our own peeps or edit using a current model. Essentially an editor for idiots like me who have no idea how to make UGC. Being able to make them in the game seems it would be infinitely easier than importing a UGC guest (if that's even possible yet). Features would include face design, skin color, body type, hair type/color, clothes, clothes colors, and choosing guest stats/preferences. Naming them too ofc!
*Side request 2:
Controllable peeps when in 1st-person camera mode?

I love your ideas, especially the peep editor!

Hersheypark2011
07-15-2016, 05:21 PM
I love your ideas, especially the peep editor!

Thanks! I'm going to re-post it in the EA sub forum. Idk if any devs will see it here.

DanPlayer01
07-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks! I'm going to re-post it in the EA sub forum. Idk if any devs will see it here.

Vanillepink, the Nvizzio community manager, is lurking around all over. She was posting on this thread earlier.
But it totally helps to post it on the suggestions forum.

Vanillepink
07-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Vanillepink, the Nvizzio community manager, is lurking around all over. She was posting on this thread earlier.
But it totally helps to post it on the suggestions forum.

I always lurk... (ノ^▽^)ノ

SillyBilly
07-18-2016, 08:15 AM
The Peeps are the main reason that the game is getting so much bad press. No real thought has been put into them from the beginning and they need to be redesigned and properly animated. (take a note from Planet Coaster of how the animation should perform). As long as these Peeps look and perform as they do at present, the game will never improve further that it is at present. This is just one area of the game that needs drastic improvement. So a long long way to go yet before this game is fit for full release..

DanPlayer01
07-18-2016, 10:28 AM
The Peeps are the main reason that the game is getting so much bad press. No real thought has been put into them from the beginning and they need to be redesigned and properly animated. (take a note from Planet Coaster of how the animation should perform). As long as these Peeps look and perform as they do at present, the game will never improve further that it is at present. This is just one area of the game that needs drastic improvement. So a long long way to go yet before this game is fit for full release..

I still really don't understand WHAT people don't like about the peeps, I don't think their that bad at all. Yes, the animations need a little work, maybe the eyes could be improved, but I don't think they need to be completely redesigned. More importantly, I want the game to run smoother and have more features like security, buildings, and more content.

Casiquire
07-18-2016, 01:59 PM
I still really don't understand WHAT people don't like about the peeps, I don't think their that bad at all. Yes, the animations need a little work, maybe the eyes could be improved, but I don't think they need to be completely redesigned. More importantly, I want the game to run smoother and have more features like security, buildings, and more content.

Agreed, better animations and behaviors would do just fine.

Beaker86
07-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Agreed, better animations and behaviors would do just fine.

I agree also - other than when on coaster cam or getting screenshots i dont really look at the peeps at all and didnt in the previous games either.
What i want is better ai, in particular group AI where maybe there is a thrill seeking teenager in the group who would go on a coaster and be met at the exit by their group. Yes there could be a bit more variety but all in all they arent as terrible as they were

Scott97
07-18-2016, 03:37 PM
The peeps are a huge reason why I didn't buy the game, despite all the other problems I may have bought it in the sale if the peeps were acceptable

DanPlayer01
07-18-2016, 05:13 PM
The peeps are a huge reason why I didn't buy the game, despite all the other problems I may have bought it in the sale if the peeps were acceptable

The game is totally worth it, just forget all the dumb reviews and posts on Steam. Sure, they do have a point, things still need improving. But, we are getting bi-weekly updates. I never though peeps were that important to the game, and they have seen a lot of work since release.

Bitter Jeweler
07-18-2016, 05:27 PM
I've often wondered if you are a "Paid Positive Poster". You seem to be "happy enough" with everything.

loquacious706
07-19-2016, 12:48 AM
The game is totally worth it [...] I never though peeps were that important to the game...

This.... this kind of talk right here is why Atari really believed this game was acceptable.

DanPlayer01
07-19-2016, 09:42 AM
I've often wondered if you are a "Paid Positive Poster". You seem to be "happy enough" with everything.

No, I always seem to have a positive attitude with anything, I just never thought peeps were the most important aspect of the game, other things need improvement first.

ThatOneGuy
07-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Hello, I am new to the forums, nut I'm gonna get this post back on track. The peeps need to be done completely.l have some good pointers why.
==========---=========---==============---=========---========--=======---===

Personailty:
Right now the peeps need a huge overhawl. They are. . . lifeless. The peeps dont blink, they dont have any facial animation, and they dont smile. The peeps are just lifeless beings in your parks rating if it is good or bad. They need help.
================================================== ================

Animations:
One of the worst things about the peeps is their animations. As I said in my last statement they are just "there". They have very strange running animations. The animation on the coasters is even worse. I don't know why they keep fixing small bugs, without fixing major problems, for example, the path. We have given them over 6 months of time to make this game good. Yes, it is getting better and better, but it takes a very long time, to fix some bugs. What's even worse is, they just add and add more things into the game without testing, which causes, even more, problems.

================================================== ================

Textures:
Now, on a different note, the texture need help. Their clothes are not in 3d they are painted onto their bodies. It has no depth no realism. It is just wrong. I also want to know who designed a teenager with black hair and a gray mustache? The least they can do is make the clothes 3d and not painted. Give them some depth, it is just ridiculous. That we waited 8 months and the peeps still look like this. :mad:
================================================== =================