PDA

View Full Version : RCTW - Early Access - Dev Blog #11 - Update #8 Now Live!

CommunityAdmin
06-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Dear Tycoons,

Happy Summer, and welcome to RCTW Update #8! The focus of today’s update is primarily on the staff system and implementing an Alpha version of Staff Patrol Areas. We’ve also made improvements to how peeps are picked up, adjusted the camera when editing coasters, made further performance optimizations to flatrides and foliage, and added the ability to share custom Scenarios via the Steam Workshop!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20160629151731_1.jpg

STAFF PATROL AREAS (ALPHA VERSION)
Today we are releasing the “Alpha” version of Staff Patrol Areas. Each building can now have as many unique patrol areas as it has employees. Each patrol area can be built up to 8 segments (and segments don’t have to be contiguous). To assign a staff member to a patrol area simply pick them up and drop them into the area you want them to patrol. Employees still belong to their building and will rest there when not patrolling. However, now they will only address problems within the patrol areas they’re assigned to!

We're continuing to work on this feature, and you should see additions and improvements in the coming weeks.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Staff-Patrol-Areas-1.jpg

PICKING UP PEEPS (IMPROVEMENT)
We heard your feedback and have made it easier to pick up and drag peeps and staff. Right clicking on a peep will now pick them up! Left clicking on a peep summons their info panel just like before. Additionally, you may either right click once to pick up and then click again to drop OR you can right click and hold to pick up and then release the mouse button to drop.

PERFORMANCE
For this latest patch, we have further optimized a larger number of flatrides and have now turned our attention to foliage. The team is going through every tree, bush, and flower in the game - not only making them look better but also decreasing their impact on performance. We are now able to accomplish this thanks to some new tech we have implemented over the last few months. Be on the lookout for beautiful foliage and more as we roll out further updates!

We also know that one of the largest issues players face is an overall decrease in FPS with larger parks or large numbers of peeps. We have been working on a solution that we expect to solve this, however it involves not only our team but the core engine of the game as well. The goal is to significantly increase FPS without affecting visual quality at all. We are confident we can achieve; we will of course keep everyone appraised of progress on this initiative in future blogs.

CUSTOM SCENARIO SHARING
Today we are giving players the ability to share their custom scenarios via the Steam Workshop using the in-game UGC tools. Now you can make an awesome new scenario and share it with all your friends! See who can beat your scenario the fastest!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Scenario-Share-1.jpg

COMING SOON
Our next patch will include new content (that we teased in past blogs) and some cool new features, like the ability to add custom colors to your queues. (This feature is greyed out in today’s build.)

Thank you all so much for the support, continued feedback, and incredible ideas! Every piece of info we collect is being carefully considered and influencing our development!

- Team RCTW

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the full list of today’s updates:

NEW FEATURES/CONTENT:

SCENARIOS: Share your custom scenarios via the Steam Workshop! Today we added the ability for you to share any scenario you make via the Steam workshop! Make a cool new scenario and challenge your friends to beat it!

ALPHA FEATURES:
This list contains features that are in-progress, have had a first pass at improvements, or are at an Alpha stage.

PERFROMANCE: IN-PROGRESS Started rollout of optimizations and graphical improvements to in-game foliage. This will be rolled out to all foliage in-game over the course of a few patches.
STAFF: ALPHA FEATURE: We have added Staff Patrol Areas to the game! Its still in Alpha but you now have the ability to assign staff to unique patrol areas! See the notes above for details on how to do this and for more about the feature.

IMPROVEMENTS:

BUILDINGS: Star on top of Entertainer buildings changed to purple to make it easier to find in heatmaps
COASTER EDITOR: Improved the cameras when editing a coaster
COASTERS: Adjusted seats of Accelerator Coaster
COASTERS: Improved the ride-cam on coasters to give a better sense of motion
GRAPHICS: Further improved the visual look of the “Gold Entrance” in the Deluxe Edition
PEEPS: Improved peep animations for Standing Coasters
PEEPS: Improved peep notifications further for Hunger, Thirst, Bathroom, and Nausea
PEEPS: We have made it easier to pick up peeps. Simply right click to pick them up!
PERFROMANCE: Further enhancements and optimizations to flatrides
STAFF: Further improved Staff Heatmaps
UI/UX: Cleaned up the look of the main menu

BUG FIXES
The Bugs below have all been fixed in this latest update. Note that this is only a selection of all the bug fixes from the full list.

CAMPAIGN: The incorrect name ‘Plugin Tab’ is displayed instead of ‘UGC’ under the ‘Social Hub’ tutorial
COASTER BUILDER: First track segment can be twisted if user delete all track after placing some specialty piece
COASTERS: Closed coaster does not display closed icon
CRASH: NullRef when clicking park entrance
CRASH: Title remains unresponsive on 'Building your park' when attempting to enter Sandbox mode twice
CRASH: Title returns a NullReferenceException when selecting any sub-menu within the Options menu
FLATRIDES: Ride cam does not function for the 'Vertical Slice' flat ride
FLATRIDES: The 'Bucking Bull' ride appears to be floating or missing some support on the ground level
FLATRIDES: The color of the ticket vendor in the preview image of the ride 'Tornado' ride does not match with the in game asset
FLATRIDES: There is no lighting FX in the 'Vertical Slice' ride
GRAPHICS: Attempting to pick up the same staff employee twice in a row will cause in-game cursor to flicker
GRAPHICS: Huge strip of the shadow visible in the Capering Canyon park during the sun rise
GRAPHICS: Major flickering issue occurs when the user is on 'Ride Camera' mode on any Hyper Coasters
GRAPHICS: Spinning coaster - Sci-Fi Car: UFO is missing a material
PATHS: Building snapping creates crooked paths under some circumstances
PATHS: Elevated path is curved instead of straight causing peeps to walk in mid air
PATHS: Path can not be attached to the food stand 'Sundae the Ice Cream House'
PEEPS: Peeps are littering far more frequently than they used to
PEEPS: Peeps fails to animate with the ride 'Slingshot Tycoon'
SCENARIOS: Custom Scenario menu highlights the "Save Scenario" button before selecting a save
SCENARIOS: Scenario 01: Winding Wilds - 'You don't have sufficient funds to buy or open the coaster' message pops up if the user try to open the coaster after stopping
UI/UX: "Zoom To" button never appears on employee tab in Park Staff Info Panels
UI/UX: Employees' tab remains blank when the user loads any game for the second time
UI/UX: Gameplay/speed is resumed when opening the Pause menu whilst the game speed is paused
UI/UX: Options: General missing "Ok" button
UI/UX: Overlapping text appears at the header of the Content Manager when first opened
UI/UX: Pre-made coaster estimate does not match the cost to open it
UI/UX: Staff Buildings will have the blue tint from the [Move] tool when enabling and disabling the Theme Concentration heat maps after canceling to move them, previously
UI/UX: Users can build a misaligned elevated ride connected to a path/queue by using the 'move' tool

KNOWN ISSUES:
We are still working on a number of bugs, tweaks, and other fixes. With each update we address a number of bugs and make improvements, but sometimes this may cause other features to break in the process. Our focus during Early Access is on releasing updates faster to you so we can get feedback earlier in the process. If you see a bug please report it in our Bug Tracker (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/forumdisplay.php?50-Early-Access-Bug-Tracker). Feedback on what you see implemented should go in our Improvement Tracker (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/forumdisplay.php?49-Early-Access-Improvement-Tracker). Please note that we are aware of an issue preventing NEW users from registering on our Official RCTW Forums (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/forum.php) and are working on resolving that.

For a general guide on fixes and troubleshooting steps for common issues (including the 57% bug) please visit THIS USER GENERATED GUIDE. Note that we have been seeing a number of users reporting issues with computers that are below the game’s minimum specs, so please check the main steam page before playing to ensure you meet the requirements. Additionally, we have seen a number of problems are solved when users update their graphics drivers.

Lastly, downloads via Steam may sometimes get corrupted or updates don’t fully install leading to odd behaviors in game and starting the game. Try these steps to Verify the game cache:

Right click RollerCoaster Tycoon World in Steam
Click Properties
Then Open the Local Files tab
Click Verify integrity of game cache

NOTE: In general – it is a good idea to Verify the Integrity of the Game Cache after any update just to be sure.

Scott97
06-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a decent update. Unfortunately peeps and general performance are just a red line for me, and I won't be buying until they are significantly improved. Sounds like a step (albeit a very small one) in the right direction though

EDIT: and this means a complete overhaul of peeps by the way, not just some improvements. They are just awful in their present state

andrewhi
06-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Excellent, look forward to trying this out. :)
If staff are assigned areas simply by dropping them, can you unassign a patrol area?

Kai Rubix
06-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Sounds like a decent update. Unfortunately peeps and general performance are just a red line for me, and I won't be buying until they are significantly improved. Sounds like a step (albeit a very small one) in the right direction though

EDIT: and this means a complete overhaul of peeps by the way, not just some improvements. They are just awful in their present state

The only issue I have with the peeps are the animations. they'll look okay once that has been addressed. and please for the love of mike animate the faces! thats all you need to do to make these peeps look good. at least make them blink. the way they are now while they're smiling with those glass eyes is creepy. for now just make the eyes slightly squint while they're smiling. having those big wide eyes and smile makes them look like serial killers.

Bitter Jeweler
06-29-2016, 06:56 PM
You made some flat rides go WAYYYYY too fast!!!!

Check out the Spleen Splatter Platter and the Organ Blender!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8gpUZu7Ow

Future RCT
06-29-2016, 07:08 PM
I see the pendulum still hasn't been fixed...

DoctorPelusa
06-29-2016, 07:14 PM
I see the pendulum still hasn't been fixed...
What's wrong with it? (Appart from the insane speed)

Bitter Jeweler
06-29-2016, 07:18 PM
I like the new menu changes except YOU CAN"T SEE the little transparent teeny tiny eentsy weentsy "X" to close the menus!!!!

Future RCT
06-29-2016, 07:19 PM
What's wrong with it? (Appart from the insane speed)

That's not how a pendulum should operate. It's supposed to swing back and forth while spinning, gradually gaining momentum overtime. I don't think there's a pendulum in the world that works like this.

DoctorPelusa
06-29-2016, 09:06 PM
That's not how a pendulum should operate. It's supposed to swing back and forth while spinning, gradually gaining momentum overtime. I don't think there's a pendulum in the world that works like this.

I'm sorry to tell you that you're wrong, that specific ride works exactly as it's animated:

https://youtu.be/95vKYxqtE3c

Maybe more spins instead of stopping at the top, but that's all.

Bitter Jeweler
06-29-2016, 09:15 PM
That's cool! Brilliant with the lights and smoke.

I figured it wasn't a pendulum, because it has a counterweight that would allow it to do what it does.
But still, your video shows the ride still doesn't operate correctly. RCTW's only goes up, spins, and then back down.

Remco
06-30-2016, 02:38 AM
This is how it should work :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzBgCtYB3Q

Future RCT
06-30-2016, 03:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzBgCtYB3Q

That's better, but something about it still looks off and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Remco
06-30-2016, 05:37 AM
What I like the most about this update is the loading time. Mine decreased up to 75% I think :D

DoctorPelusa
06-30-2016, 05:46 AM
video=youtube;8hzBgCtYB3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzBgCtYB3Q[/video

Why? That's not how the real one works...

Beaker86
06-30-2016, 07:02 AM
What I like the most about this update is the loading time. Mine decreased up to 75% I think :D

Totally agree!
Also on the note of the Pendulum i suspect it operates as intended as i noticed watching someones twitch stream it is no longer called the Pendulum in the ride selection menu

Dubbie
06-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Back on topic: the new ride from the screenshot, is it in this patch? Because I didn't read it in the patch notes.

DoctorPelusa
06-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Back on topic: the new ride from the screenshot, is it in this patch? Because I didn't read it in the patch notes.

It's not new, but one of the examples of the improvements over the flatrides...

Dubbie
06-30-2016, 04:01 PM
It's not new, but one of the examples of the improvements over the flatrides...

Oh okay, never paid attention anyway :p

Bitter Jeweler
07-01-2016, 01:21 AM
Dear Nvizzio,

Please work on your Theater ride some more and make it epic.

RCT 3's still blows yours away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nkwITDTJns

I can understand that animating over 200 peeps in the audience is a challenge to get looking good.
Here's the thing. What you had before wasn't totally off the mark. The air guitar was excellent. The banging fists in the air was great. I think there was another animation too, that was acceptable. The worst part of the audience was the crossed legs. That was super odd, and out of place.

A subjective criticism is the color choices of the stage lights. Blue and green just look to cool.
The show is just "blah" and static. Boring even.

I know nothing about coding, and your job(s), but could you get at least the lead singer to move around the stage?
Look how much more dynamic Kara Oke is in that vid above. The drummers animations look great! But the drummer is also a park guest we see all the time. He kinda pulls you out of the fantasy.

We now have some great smoke effects and sparks on broken down rides. Why not throw those on the stage??? Can they be "programmed" for the show? Have them do their stuff when the beat drops! It would be sooo cool! (that's want you want, isn,t it?) Get some flashing lights on that stage! We see flashing lights on many rides. They look awesome! Use them here!!! Throw in some reds, or yellows, or purples, or dark blues!

The other thing that is so odd to me, is the stadium lighting towers on the flanks of the audience. Really? Path lights are brighter, for what they are. That doesn't make sense. But they are there, so lets work with them and make them better? Could they be white light (like they are) when the show is "off" and have them flash colors when the band is jamming? For bonus points, could you animate spot lights to move across the audience? I dunno, I haven't see that happen yet to use as an example.

I just think there is a lot you could do with lights (and smoke effects) to really make that concert ROCK! You want to ROCK! Don't you?

Here's some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebhRj-dxnWE

Here's a concert with a lead singer, eerily similar to yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nt5hycaqoU

TheWetDolphin
07-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I do not understand how they say 'We have optimized a large amount of flatrides' and when I look at all of them, they spin wayyy to fast! The tea cups would kill children how fast it spins, the Pendulum stays upside down for too long and some of the swing type rides are to fast as well. So what do they mean by optimizing flatrides?

DoctorPelusa
07-01-2016, 07:48 PM
So what do they mean by optimizing flatrides?

op•ti•mize (op′tə mīz′),
v., -mized, -miz•ing.

3. to write or rewrite (the instructions in a program) so as to maximize efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.

TheWetDolphin
07-01-2016, 08:36 PM
op•ti•mize(op′tə mīz′),
v., -mized, -miz•ing. 3. to write or rewrite (the instructions in a program) so as to maximize efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.

So what does this change in game? They all look the same to me?

Bitter Jeweler
07-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Optimization makes them go faster! Duh!

:p

TheWetDolphin
07-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Optimization makes them go faster! Duh!

:p

Well, thats clearly what Nvizzio think optimization is aha :P

Sort this out please devs!

Vanillepink
07-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Well, thats clearly what Nvizzio think optimization is aha :P

Sort this out please devs!

'The term optimization refers to the developers trying to get a game to run at its best while using the least amount of hardware resource. They can do this by adjusting their coding.'

So it's for performance, it has nothing to do with rides animation but it's about the game running better and faster.

TheWetDolphin
07-04-2016, 04:00 PM
'The term optimization refers to the developers trying to get a game to run at its best while using the least amount of hardware resource. They can do this by adjusting their coding.'

So it's for performance, it has nothing to do with rides animation but it's about the game running better and faster.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Performance in-game does seem to have improved now compared to the last update :)

Bitter Jeweler
07-04-2016, 04:06 PM
It has improved A LOT!
I was getting 5FPS in a park with 3K peeps, and that same park is now playing at 25FPS.
That's YUGE!

TheWetDolphin
07-04-2016, 04:25 PM
It has improved A LOT!
I was getting 5FPS in a park with 3K peeps, and that same park is now playing at 25FPS.
That's YUGE!
Yep, I never build big parks because of performance issues. I might give it a go now :D

Vanillepink
07-05-2016, 01:14 PM
It has improved A LOT!
That's YUGE!

Yes and it will get better and better. :)

TheWetDolphin
07-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Yes and it will get better and better. :)
Your making this game great! Keep up the good work :)

DanPlayer01
07-06-2016, 11:33 AM
The game keeps getting better! I just cant wait for piece by piece building! I hope their getting it perfect.

Levicoaster
07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Looking forward to playing :)