PDA

View Full Version : Post your entry here for the RCTW Contest - Summer 2016

Remco
06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi guys,

My entry is done! After 2 weeks building, and a whole day of video editing it's finally there!
Click here to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21scxyK3lh4
Note: Video can't play if you're on a mobile device. Desktop will ensure you the best video.

I'd love to get feedback from you all. Do you already made a video for the contest? Post it in this topic as well!

Blitser
06-13-2016, 12:16 PM
I like the park a video, only thing is, your video is too long, no longer than 3mins

Remco
06-13-2016, 12:24 PM
I thought that there was no limit :l
It's a very hidden requirement though..

Blitser
06-13-2016, 12:31 PM
I just rechecked, its states on the link, did not say it on the main page. http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/?p=1395

(http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/?p=1395)

Remco
06-13-2016, 12:45 PM
Yeah, that's what is so strange about it. I feel fooled :(

Hope they'll change it. I put so much efford in the video.

Bitter Jeweler
06-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Not bad! In the second song, you have great timing with the music and coaster launch/loop (at about 4:00).

If you want heavy critique, continue reading:

On coasters, avoid high speed non-banked tight curves. They create high lateral G's. If you are going to re-edit this for time, I'd cut those scenes out.

In my opinion, to keep the video dynamic, trim parts, like the first launch coaster, very close to launch, and very little waiting to launch.

A big negative for me was showing the "Angry-Peep" emote at the 0:46 minute mark. You don't want to advertise that ANYONE in your park is unhappy. ;) Also, that clip is far too long (again, to edit for time). I think showing that ride at speed, and maybe just one swoop, would have more impact.

There are several "redundant" scenes, like the haunted house panning both right and left. While a great scene, seeing the same image twice isn't needed. Perhaps from a different angle for the second shot? But still, that scene has nice atmosphere on it's own! Another at 2:12 coaster without, and with train.

The panning shot across the whole park is nice (at 1:54) but it is a little long. The viewer can scan that view quickly, and then has to wait for new stuff.
Again, if you need to trim for time, there's an opportunity.

At about 3:00, you have three views of Spiral Slide. Pick the best.

At 3:10 you have two shots of coaster track and sunset that are basically the same with a transition splitting them. Lose one. That's a great shot BTW!

Shots like the Circus Tent, and a couple others, have no Peeps in line!

One of my biggest pet-peeves is the over-use of transitions. They are distracting.
As a general suggestion, slow fades are great with slow music, fast cuts are effective with fast music. Other transitions should be used when they "make sense" like a directional wipe, when the image or video suggests, or shows motion in that direction.

You captured some really nice scenes of your park, which really capture the fun and style you created!

Remco
06-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks bitter, I'll see what I can do. Video editing isn't something I do every day x)

Bitter Jeweler
06-13-2016, 01:48 PM
You're welcome. I hope you find useful info there.
You should have no problem pairing it down to 3 minutes.

The more you do it (if you found it fun) the better you'll get.

The best advice I ever got was "Your content is more important that transitions. People will notice that you used them, and they won't notice that you didn't."

And take some time looking at professional game trailers. Not as much for the content, but for how it is composed (transitions, timing).

Good luck!

deathtome
06-24-2016, 02:32 AM
Not bad! In the second song, you have great timing with the music and coaster launch/loop (at about 4:00).

If you want heavy critique, continue reading:

On coasters, avoid high speed non-banked tight curves. They create high lateral G's. If you are going to re-edit this for time, I'd cut those scenes out.

In my opinion, to keep the video dynamic, trim parts, like the first launch coaster, very close to launch, and very little waiting to launch.

A big negative for me was showing the "Angry-Peep" emote at the 0:46 minute mark. You don't want to advertise that ANYONE in your park is unhappy. ;) Also, that clip is far too long (again, to edit for time). I think showing that ride at speed, and maybe just one swoop, would have more impact.

There are several "redundant" scenes, like the haunted house panning both right and left. While a great scene, seeing the same image twice isn't needed. Perhaps from a different angle for the second shot? But still, that scene has nice atmosphere on it's own! Another at 2:12 coaster without, and with train.

The panning shot across the whole park is nice (at 1:54) but it is a little long. The viewer can scan that view quickly, and then has to wait for new stuff.
Again, if you need to trim for time, there's an opportunity.

At about 3:00, you have three views of Spiral Slide. Pick the best.

At 3:10 you have two shots of coaster track and sunset that are basically the same with a transition splitting them. Lose one. That's a great shot BTW!

Shots like the Circus Tent, and a couple others, have no Peeps in line!

One of my biggest pet-peeves is the over-use of transitions. They are distracting.
As a general suggestion, slow fades are great with slow music, fast cuts are effective with fast music. Other transitions should be used when they "make sense" like a directional wipe, when the image or video suggests, or shows motion in that direction.

You captured some really nice scenes of your park, which really capture the fun and style you created!

I have to agree with everything Bitter Jeweler is saying here very good feed back. Love how the music moved so well along with the video clips and screenshots.

LukeNathan
06-26-2016, 03:26 PM
My entry is an open park since its just the park i have been working on. Tried my best with the video editing. Had to block out some of the ui which i didn't really like but it only went away sometimes.

heres a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKTINcodnk

I wish there was better terrain editing and the ability to modify terrain under coasters that are already built. I also wish there was more Ground terrain. 4 seems really lackluster. Also sci fi is really hard to do without a ground terrain to match. I dont like what i have but i have what i can get so i just have to make it work. I would like more scenery in general for all themes,

Kai Rubix
06-27-2016, 01:40 AM
Hello! Got mine right here. It's a fairly small park but I wanted to focus on the details and take advantage of the set themes we have for the game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tMylmeTmSfg

Remco
06-27-2016, 06:35 AM
Nice entries Luke and Kai! Both parks are showing the different themes and you can also see the possibilities with the game. Good job, keep on building :)

JMR
06-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Good job guys! :)

Here's my entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvaKtE9m4mY

With inspiration and reference from Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens, London.

_Zoe_
06-27-2016, 09:49 AM
I had so much fun with this contest - and I love seeing other parks and styles (have to admit, I saw a few ideas I might have to steal for my future parks xD). I'm really hyped for all the new things and updates that will make challenges like this even cooler!

Anyway, here is my entry for the open park category (posted this yesterday in another thread before I saw this one, sorry!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTKH_oTTIY

Good luck to all of you :)
~ Zoe

LukeNathan
06-30-2016, 05:46 AM
everyone did a pretty good job

deathtome
06-30-2016, 08:08 PM
everyone did a pretty good job

I agree everyone that entered did a great job, :D I didn't enter tho but I have been working very hard on some new UGC pieces.

Theme Park Games
07-01-2016, 02:00 AM
I have seen a lot of outstanding entries both posted here and via YouTube searches. Great job, everyone! It's really nice to see some of the AMAZING creations people are doing with the Early Access edition of Roller Coaster Tycoon World:

Here is my entry into the competition (best viewed in HD). If you have annotations on and click "Dinosaur Ride" at the end, then you can actually ride the "Jurassic Park" roller coaster (not named that in the contest entry to avoid trademark issues the contest forbids).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewpXHFHXbmo

I look forward to seeing more awesome creations by others. Keep up the great work!