PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks for creating UGC

DeadlyAccurate
06-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I figure we could use this as a place to post things we've learned about creating and uploading UGC to the Steam Workshop. Stuff to make it easier to create better quality UGC. Please feel free to contribute your own tips and tricks.

1) You know the screenshot that gets created for your UGC when you build? You can replace it, and it doesn't have to be a 200x200 image either.

If you go into C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\LocalLow\Nvizzio Creations\Rollercoaster Tycoon World\UGC\Local and open the UGC folder, you'll see a .png file.
Replace that file with the image of your choice and then run RCTW and click on the Content Manager. You should see the new image. (Sometimes you'll have to exit RCTW and restart; other times it'll show up even if you keep RCTW running).
Click the update button on the UGC to update the image on Steam. Now you'll have a higher quality image on your workshop page.
I would keep the image no more than 640x640.

2) To really get the effect of Unity's PBR Standard shader, your Metallic map needs to have an Alpha channel with its Roughness defined. Roughness is a grayscale image that tells Unity how much shininess to apply. Here's a quick tutorial:

Open up Photoshop (or any image editing tool that can add additional channels to an image and save as .tif or .tga) and create a new 1024x1024 image. I'm going to assume Photoshop for this.
Click the Channels tab and Add a channel.
While the Alpha1 channel is selected (it should show a fully black image), paint white on the image.
Save the image as a .tif file. At the bottom of the save window, there's a checkbox for Alpha Channels under the Save Options. Make sure it's checked.
Now open up Unity and create a cube (GameObject --> 3D Object --> Cube) in the scene.
Click on Assets --> Import New Asset and import your texture.
Create a new Material (under the Project tab, Create --> Material.
Add your texture to the material
Add the material to your cube.
If you did everything right, you should see areas on the material that are shiny and areas that are less shiny.
Translucency works the same way, but you add the Alpha channel to the Albedo map, not the Metallic.

Substance Painter 2 will automatically create your texture maps properly when you export as Unity 5 textures, so if you're even remotely serious about 3D modeling and texturing, I would recommend you try it out. (I can't speak for other texturing tools, but it wouldn't surprise me if they aren't similar).

3) Once you've uploaded your UGC to Steam, you can edit the Workshop item inside Steam to add more pictures and a description. Consider adding at least one larger, rectangular image to show off your UGC when a user clicks on the Workshop item.

Forgath
06-06-2016, 02:30 AM
Thank you for this information :)
I have yet to try out creating UGC, so ill take all the help i can get.