PDA

View Full Version : Why are UGC file sizes so big?

Wabigbear
06-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Looking through all the UGC that's been created for the game so far, I've been struck by some of the file sizes for items, especially when compared to CSO file sizes we found in RCT3. Some of it's as large as an entire multi-piece set I made in RCT3, and I certainly wasn't known for creating optimized CSO!

Just as an example, a long time ago eeZee created a simple set with 16 walls in regular, half and angled sizes for RCT3, all using one 'granite' shared texture. The entire CSO folder was 575 kb.

I won't pick on anyone's work, but in the Steam RCTw Workshop I've seen SINGLE walls that have ranged from .978 Mb to 1.64 Mb to 3.27 Mb to 5.14 Mb...each! And these appear to be plain flat walls with textures. While I know it's two very different game engines, anyone know why the huge file size difference? RCT3 had problems with large game file sizes, and while RCTw doesn't have that same problem, I'm still wondering if these seemingly large UGC file sizes are going to add up and cause problems down the road?

Anyone familiar with Unity and UGC might care to share what they know?

jerseygrrll
06-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Not sure about why the file sizes are so big, but I do know in Cities: Skylines UGC can adversely affect the performance of the game. I believe they are Unity also. In addition, if you have too many assets or mods in CS, it can cause a lot of crashes. Most creators post the UGC tri & LOD size.

DeadlyAccurate
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Large textures, maybe? I know I need to go back through my pack and make sure I'm properly compressing the textures.

Wabigbear
06-03-2016, 06:01 PM
I hope no one thinks I'm criticizing the UGC that's been made so far - most of it is just outstanding and I've been really impressed by what we have so far.

Other than a set or two that seems a little oversized, everything seems to look and work well. I intend to start creating my own UGC once the system gets a few kinks out, but the file size issue just puzzles me, I figured I should ask and see if there's an answer before that.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

Wabigbear
06-27-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm going to double post and perhaps we'll get something from one of the developers. I just saw a gorgeous piece of UGC available in the Workshop. It's really well done. But what concerns me is that this one single piece has a file size of almost 91 MB...

Now, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be available, the file size is clearly noted so it should be up to each individual as to if they wish to download it, but I'd like to hear from Nvizzio their opinions on large file sizes like this?