PDA

View Full Version : RCTW Park Creation Contest

Nookriot
05-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Attention Tycoons! The gates are now open to RollerCoaster Tycoon World, and it’s time to show the world what you’re capable of! We are launching a park-building contest today to discover who out there is a true RollerCoaster Tycoon!

We will have five (5) categories for tycoons to enter:

Open – Build the park of your dreams! This category is for open-ended park creations, without references to real-world parks.
New York’s Central Park – Grab a hotdog and build a park inspired by New York City’s famous Central Park using in-game and UGC elements! Read the judging criteria below for additional details.
London’s Hyde Park – Stroll by Buckingham Palace and build a park inspired by London’s historic Hyde Park using in-game and UGC elements! Read the judging criteria below for additional details.
Amsterdam’s Vondelpark – Take a bike ride and build a park inspired by Amsterdam’s relaxing Vondelpark using in-game and UGC elements! Read the judging criteria below for additional details.
Munich’s English Gardens – Buy a Löwenbräu and build a park inspired by Munich’s calming English Gardens using in-game and UGC elements! Read the judging criteria below for additional details.

How to Enter:
All you need to do is create your best park ever based on the categories you would like to enter. Add all of your coolest coasters, rides and attractions and upload a video showing it off, and send a link of the video to [email protected] on or before 6/26/2016 with the subject line for the specific category you wish to enter as noted below:

Open – “RCTW Park Creation Contest - Open”
United States – “RCTW Park Creation Contest - US”
United Kingdom – “RCTW Park Creation Contest - UK”
Netherlands – “RCTW Park Creation Contest - NL”
Germany – “RCTW Park Creation Contest - DE”

Note that there is no limit on the number of entries. Feel free to enter ALL the categories as many times as you want! The winners will be announced on or about July 5th, and your parks will be shared and promoted throughout the RCTW and Atari social channels. So get out there and get building!

Prizes:
There will be four (4) winners for each of the five (5) categories, for a total of twenty (20) winners as noted below:

Five (5) Grand prize winners ($200.00 Amazon Gift Card and RollerCoaster Tycoon World T-Shirt)
Five (5) First prize winners ($100.00 Amazon Gift Card and RollerCoaster Tycoon World T-Shirt)
Five (5) Second prize winners ($50.00 Amazon Gift Card and RollerCoaster Tycoon World T-Shirt)
Five (5) Third prize winners ($25.00 Amazon Gift Card and RollerCoaster Tycoon World T-Shirt)

Contest Duration:
May 27, 2016 through June 26, 2016

Judging Duration:
June 27, 2016 through July 7, 2016

Judging Criteria:

Open Category:

creativity and style
originality and presentation
attention to detail

United States Category:

New York City – Central Park References
creativity and style
attention to detail

United Kingdom Category:

London – Hyde Park References
creativity and style
attention to detail

Netherlands Category:

Netherlands – Vondelpark References
creativity and style
attention to detail

Germany Category:

Germany – English Gardens References
creativity and style
attention to detail

Real World References:

New York City – Central Park References
London – Hyde Park References
Germany – English Gardens References
Netherlands – Vondelpark References

For Full Contest Details, click here:

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/?p=1395

Abbittibbi
05-27-2016, 10:31 AM
It's on! I'm in for "open" category... even if my Province of Canada(Quebec is NOT part of Canada, since 1964, but that is political) is excluded from this contest.

I will then compete as NOT ELIGIBLE, as non-prize winner.

All Tycoons have fun with it!

Thank you Atari

0BobTheJanitor
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Why hype a contest? The tweet of stream delay made it sound like Atari was going to finally release some of the missing content, but... a contest? How many people are going to enter, there is never more than 200 people playing at a time?

Also Atari leaves you out of the competition, why thank them? You deserve better.

Edit: apparently excluding Quebec is standard for competitions, so carry on. Still seems stupid.

Nookriot
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM
DEFINITELY looking forward to seeing all the creative entries across ALL categories!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Nookriot
05-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Why hype a contest? The tweet of stream delay made it sound like Atari was going to finally release some of the missing content, but... a contest? How many people are going to enter, there is never more than 200 people playing at a time?

We will see who enters Bob! Will you accept the challenge?

;)

0BobTheJanitor
05-27-2016, 10:41 AM
No don't have the game, sorry. I do have Parkitect, if that's allowed... :p But good luck who enters, hope you do well.

Beaker86
05-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Disappointed I can't use the coffee shop UGC in my dream park :(

Abbittibbi
05-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Also Atari leaves you out of the competition, why thank them? You deserve better.

It's not their fault Quebec is(openly rebellious Province) not legally part of Canada anymore. I will participate in every contest or anything that will make this game grow, even out-of-category.

I say thanks to Atari for putting forward initiatives and a bit of money to stimulate the community growing. And for being pro-active about this title.

Nookriot
05-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks Abbittibbi! Looking to do more too! :cool:

Lettuce
05-27-2016, 01:39 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what people can build in the game. Can't wait to start building my entry soon. I just have a couple questions:
1. Can we use UGC in the open category? I assume so, but I just wanted to make sure.
2. Does the UGC have to be ours, or can we take it from the steam workshop?

Nookriot
05-27-2016, 02:01 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what people can build in the game. Can't wait to start building my entry soon. I just have a couple questions:
1. Can we use UGC in the open category? I assume so, but I just wanted to make sure.
2. Does the UGC have to be ours, or can we take it from the steam workshop?

You can absolutely use UGC and it can come from the workshop, just be mindful of the contest rules before using anything illegal, trademarked, copy-written, etc. Pending judgement, they may be disregarded.

Rules can be found here:
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/?p=1395

DoctorPelusa
05-27-2016, 05:15 PM
May i ask why Spain is not on the list? As far as I know the Game's Law in Sapin does not regulate free-to-join contests, and doesn't require you to pay taxes if the winners are elected by a jury...

DinahLee
05-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Brazil Allowed
http://i.imgur.com/an8rwip.png

Lemme try...

TheWetDolphin
05-28-2016, 07:35 AM
Its a shame I'm not the best builder, so I won't even try :p But good luck to everyone that enters!

Blitser
05-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Ok I am making Hyde park, for some fun. and I hope every1 who enters, has fun, and best of luck.

Forgath
05-28-2016, 12:04 PM
I hope I can find the time to join in! Regardless, good luck to all :)

Remco
05-28-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm in! Good luck everyone! 😁

Nookriot
05-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Its a shame I'm not the best builder, so I won't even try :p But good luck to everyone that enters!
Dolphin, you don't need to be the best builder to try! This is a great opportunity to be creative! :cool: :cool:

TheWetDolphin
05-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Dolphin, you don't need to be the best builder to try! This is a great opportunity to be creative! :cool: :cool:

I will see what I can do :P I just struggle with performance in game so I cannot build big projects unfortunately, but like you said I will try :)

maxfreak
05-31-2016, 03:12 AM
This could turn into something very fun. I've got some nice UGC I put together that could come very handy here. :D

Nookriot
05-31-2016, 10:40 AM
I will see what I can do :P I just struggle with performance in game so I cannot build big projects unfortunately, but like you said I will try :)Doesn't have to be a "Big" park, just a unique and creative one!

:)

TheWetDolphin
05-31-2016, 12:08 PM
Doesn't have to be a "Big" park, just a unique and creative one!

:)

I got something in mind... ;)
Is there a steam today? And if so, have you got some patch notes? :D

Nookriot
05-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Glad you asked! We will be hosting IGN Benelux today as they are streaming and helping to spread awareness of the contest. Stay tuned to our Twitter feed as we will be posting there heavily throughout the contest.

@OfficialRCT (https://twitter.com/OfficialRCT)

TheWetDolphin
05-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Glad you asked! We will be hosting IGN Benelux today as they are streaming and helping to spread awareness of the contest. Stay tuned to our Twitter feed as we will be posting there heavily throughout the contest.

@OfficialRCT (https://twitter.com/OfficialRCT)

Watching now :) Will keep checking on RCT Twitter!

Beaker86
06-01-2016, 01:44 PM
I have issues with performance too but going to do all my building in paused mode before letting it run enough to test coasters and get some guests for doing the screenshots and videos.

TheWetDolphin
06-01-2016, 04:40 PM
I have issues with performance too but going to do all my building in paused mode before letting it run enough to test coasters and get some guests for doing the screenshots and videos.

Good idea, going to use this :)

Kai Rubix
06-02-2016, 02:37 AM
^doing the same thing right now! I'm half way through to finishing my park and already see the frame rate dropping already. even without peeps. (minimal UGC as well, but a butt-load of in-game scenery) hopefully I can finish this park before things get worse. really proud of what I have so far ;)

Beaker86
06-02-2016, 04:48 PM
^doing the same thing right now! I'm half way through to finishing my park and already see the frame rate dropping already. even without peeps. (minimal UGC as well, but a butt-load of in-game scenery) hopefully I can finish this park before things get worse. really proud of what I have so far ;)
Know what you mean hoping I get mine done in time as I'm away for the last two weeks of the competition

Paul_Boland
06-03-2016, 12:25 PM
I'll pop an entry in for this too.

Paul_Boland
06-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Quote from the competition rules:
"Official Rules

The following promotion is intended for participants in the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada (excluding Quebec province), Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and United Kingdom only and shall be governed by U.S. laws. Do not proceed if you are not a legal resident of one of the foregoing jurisdictions currently located and residing in such jurisdiction."

I'm in Ireland. Well to hell with that!! :mad:

SillyBilly
06-05-2016, 12:28 PM
I live on a ship, does that count?

Forgath
06-05-2016, 02:09 PM
I hope it's a ship with a pirate flag! :)

Kai Rubix
06-07-2016, 12:27 AM
I got a question about making our video. can we use music? royalty free music of course. I was thinking about using the Roller coaster Tycoon World theme. or better yet using the classic Roller coaster tycoon music. would that disqualify me?

Blitser
06-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Does Kensington Gardens come under Hyde park for the contest?

Nookriot
06-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Does Kensington Gardens come under Hyde park for the contest?

Heya Blitser,

Use Hyde Park only. Kensington Gardens is a separate park.

Forgath
06-14-2016, 05:23 AM
I hope to be able to send in my park, but it's going to be a close call...

Nookriot
06-14-2016, 09:54 AM
You can do it Forgath! I have faith in you!

:cool: :cool:

maxfreak
06-14-2016, 08:35 PM
*Re-reads rules* Uhmm...so yeahh...about "Submitting a video", what if my game is so laggy a video is useless? =/

Nookriot
06-17-2016, 07:02 AM
*Re-reads rules* Uhmm...so yeahh...about "Submitting a video", what if my game is so laggy a video is useless? =/A quick screenshot montage would work too.

maxfreak
06-18-2016, 12:14 PM
A quick screenshot montage would work too.

Excellent, thanks!

Forgath
06-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Just a few days left! Everyone getting their parks ready in time?

JMR
06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Just a few days left! Everyone getting their parks ready in time?

Yep! :)

I think a lot of us are waiting until the final day to submit them.

TerrorToetje
06-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Ready in time no:)

I build-ed so many small object it broken my fps down to 10/15 haha:)
I might just make a screenshot video or something with a few on-rides, creating a proper recording is not working anymore:P

Forgath
06-22-2016, 02:06 AM
If i get to finish it, it will be on sunday, so it will be a close call.
Either way, good luck to all!

Nookriot
06-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Ready in time no:)

I build-ed so many small object it broken my fps down to 10/15 haha:)
I might just make a screenshot video or something with a few on-rides, creating a proper recording is not working anymore:PIf you created a short video of screenshots, that is acceptable too :D

Remember that in the end, the video itself is used to judge your park. Be creative in putting together a unique and creative video goes a long way.

Just saying, be imaginative! :cool:

TerrorToetje
06-22-2016, 11:41 AM
If you created a short video of screenshots, that is acceptable too :D

Remember that in the end, the video itself is used to judge your park. Be creative in putting together a unique and creative video goes a long way.

Just saying, be imaginative! :cool:

First time video editing software!

But will do my best!

andrewhi
06-25-2016, 12:15 PM
So.. I don't know anything about uploading videos to places like youtube (completely clueless...), can we use music in our videos?

I gather youtube allows you to use music but it may have adverts on the video? Is that allowed or not for the contest?

(I have a great music track for my video, just don't know if I can now use it :()

_Zoe_
06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
*Re-reads rules* Uhmm...so yeahh...about "Submitting a video", what if my game is so laggy a video is useless? =/
Yeah, I'm having the same problem :( I tried everything, but nope. Screenshot montage it is, I guess. I'm really sad about this :(

WoodenCode
06-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I'm having the same problem :( I tried everything, but nope. Screenshot montage it is, I guess. I'm really sad about this :(
you could just record on a lower FPS (mine is 10) count and speed it up (move slow otherwise it would be nauseating)

maxfreak
06-25-2016, 10:01 PM

Yep join the club. xDDD

I'll try what you said WoodenCode...but the way my park is my FPS is under 10 (around 4ish) sooo...we shall see. lol

_Zoe_
06-26-2016, 06:07 AM
you could just record on a lower FPS (mine is 10) count and speed it up (move slow otherwise it would be nauseating)

My fps is way too low to make a decent video. And the way the ingame camera works isn't helping :D But thanks for the advice, WoodenCode! I'll just make an awesome screenshot video. :)

Yep join the club. xDDD

I'll try what you said WoodenCode...but the way my park is my FPS is under 10 (around 4ish) sooo...we shall see. lol

Yeah, my park is 5-6 fps if I'm lucky... sometimes its gone completely. But I got some really beautiful screenshots, so I'm still hopefull :D

Edit: But, to be fair, my park is maxed out, I have a lot of objects in it and a few peeps in it ;)

FuddyWoodie
06-26-2016, 06:48 AM
My parks are so big that I cant even load them up anymore.

Am I OK just posting a picture of the loading screen? Still fancy my chances.....

_Zoe_
06-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Did you try loading it without any peeps in it? That fixed it for me... Sorry :(

FuddyWoodie
06-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Did you try loading it without any peeps in it? That fixed it for me... Sorry :(

Yeah, I can load up empty parks no problem, the only trouble is they're empty.

Hold on.... Can I enter an empty park? Still fancy my chances.....

_Zoe_
06-26-2016, 08:07 AM
I mean, can you load your contest park without any peeps in it, then open the park and let peeps in? I can't load my park with peeps in it, gladly I saved before I opened the park. That way I was able to take some screenshots.
I'm sorry if you are not able to enter because of this :( This sucks.

maxfreak
06-26-2016, 12:46 PM
You guys just confirmed my fears, I'm doing finishing touches now and debated letting peeps in...now...I don't think I want to. :X

_Zoe_
06-26-2016, 01:16 PM
You guys just confirmed my fears, I'm doing finishing touches now and debated letting peeps in...now...I don't think I want to. :X

Just save your park before you let anyone in and try it :) It might work! Good luck!

TerrorToetje
06-26-2016, 01:40 PM
So.. I don't know anything about uploading videos to places like youtube (completely clueless...), can we use music in our videos?

I gather youtube allows you to use music but it may have adverts on the video? Is that allowed or not for the contest?

(I have a great music track for my video, just don't know if I can now use it :()

I would not add music that has any copyright our license on it.

LukeNathan
06-26-2016, 03:15 PM
I have submitted my entry as an open park since its just the park i have been working on. Tried my best with the video editing. Had to block out some of the ui which i didnt really like but it only went away sometimes.

heres a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKTINcodnk

_Zoe_
06-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Finally, I'm done! \o/
Uploading the video was a challenge itself due to numerous Youtube...bugs... I guess :D But here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTKH_oTTIY
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTKH_oTTIY)
My entry is for the open park category. Sadly, no "real video", just a screenshot montage. I guess there are just a little too many trees, rocks and bushes in the park :D

Good luck everybody!

JMR
06-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Finished mine, just in time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvaKtE9m4mY

maxfreak
06-27-2016, 12:02 AM
Same here! Mine is up and ready to go, wish I had more than 3 minutes but I did my best. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReM4hsiaQuU

Iratewalnut
06-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Here is my finished park, an as accurate as I could make representation of Hyde Park in London, I am terrible at video editing but hope it is enough to show the effort that went into the build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gyz1diHOU

Blitser
06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
My little park made using InfamousePanda UGC items.

https://youtu.be/P3XScFM28KU.

Nookriot
06-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks to all who entered the contest! We will be taking this week to review and judge all submissions. We will post the winners on (or around) Tuesday, July 5th, 2016.

Stay tuned here for updates! :cool:

TerrorToetje
06-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Here is mine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM2pGes5-xA&feature=youtu.be :)

More screenshots @ https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wtbxrnkcfya6j95/AABxdpnMCqK1iVVfbqPaSVbda?dl=0

WoodenCode
06-28-2016, 04:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmaQTDF-d9E

Nookriot
07-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Just popping in to say that we will be posting a cumulative summation of all the winners here later today. That way, all of them are in one place.

Nookriot
07-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Happy Friday to EVERYONE!

OK, so as promised, below is the list of winners. Big G-R-A-T-Z to all the winners, and a big T-H-A-N-K-S to all who entered.

Stay tuned for more contests coming soon!

Open Category

Grand Prize: Theme Park Games

https://youtu.be/ewpXHFHXbmo

1st Runner Up: Herb Head

https://youtu.be/7PteqjPaQc4

2nd Runner Up: EdgeOfFear

https://youtu.be/7G62nnVoC2c

3rd Runner Up: TerrorToetjeNL NLD

https://youtu.be/xM2pGes5-xA

Netherlands Category

Grand Prize: Wooden_Code

https://youtu.be/dmaQTDF-d9E

1st Runner Up: Remco Vogelzang

https://youtu.be/21scxyK3lh4

2nd Runner Up: TheChugsterChannel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBfu2I6_Vas

United Kingdom Category

Grand Prize: Jordan M Richards

https://youtu.be/MvaKtE9m4mY

1st Runner Up: Irate Walnut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gyz1diHOU

ddrplaya4638
07-08-2016, 11:36 AM
They all look like fantastic parks! Good job everyone!

majherbhead
07-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Well done to everyone who took part. All the parks look fantastic. Shame no-one did USA or France though.

andrewhi
07-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Wow, mine was the 'Thrill Valley' entry, thank you very much!! Flattered to be amongst such great parks and videos.

Congrats to the winners, some amazing parks.

Theme Park Games
07-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Wow, mine was the 'Thrill Valley' entry, thank you very much!! Flattered to be amongst such great parks and videos.

Congrats to the winners, some amazing parks. Thrill Valley was great. I like how it "told a story." From the black and white to the awesome polaroids, it was really really good. Congrats.

Hersheypark2011
07-15-2016, 01:57 AM
Great job everyone! I would have participated but the game as it currently runs is too slow for me. I don't have the patience for the lag or the time needed because of that to put in the work to make a park I'd be proud of/content with. Hopefully next contest I'll be able to enter.

Chuggster
07-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Hi Guys! Thank you so much for the compliments. Everyone's parks look amazing and very well thought through. Mine was the "Chuggster Channel" entry! I never actually named my park so I guess they just put the name of my Youtube Channel on their haha! Once again good job to everyone who participated.

Nookriot
07-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Just popping in here for a final check-in. Big thanks again to all that participated and we look forward to all the creativity on the next one.

Hope you will all be there for the next one!

Closing the thread.