PDA

View Full Version : Community Participation in the Development of RCTW

pHScale
12-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Hi there,

I'm pHScale, long time fan of the RollerCoaster Tycoon series and a moderator of the subreddit /r/rct. I wanted to host a discussion as early on in this period of "community development" as possible, on who exactly the community is.

First, let me say that I think it's great the the developers of RCTW want to include the community in the development of the game. That's something that RCT4M severely lacked and suffered for.

But I think you may be mistaking the "community" for the "general public". You have social media links to facebook, twitter, and youtube. Nothing else. These are a great start, but it doesn't really reach out to the die-hard fans who have been playing the game and contributing to the community for years. Having talked to some prominent members of the community such as Louis, inthemanual, and Pacificoaster, they've expressed concerns that the "real" community hasn't been reached out to.

I'm not here to accuse anyone of ignoring these communities. I'm here to reach out to you. I think the developers of this game simply may not know of the existence of these communities. So, I want to introduce you, and I want to ask the developers to get in contact with those who run these sites and make an effort to involve those communities as much as you involve yourself in facebook and twitter.

So without further adieu, here are the communities I want to introduce:

Reddit:
We probably all know of reddit. But there has been a thriving community playing the game there for 4 years. Two subreddits work together as "the community". One for general discussion about the games, and one for hosting contests. Here are the links.
http://www.reddit.com/r/rct
http://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoastercontests

New Element:
New Element has been around since at least 2003, and is focused primarily on the isometric games (RCT1 and 2). This community has contributed amazing things to the community, including trainers, custom scenery, and parks like Starpointe (http://www.nedesigns.com/park/2914/map/2583/starpointe/) or Europa Park World Showcase (http://www.nedesigns.com/park/1394/map/1078/europa-park-world-showcase/). This is certainly the longest lasting RCT community out there.
http://www.nedesigns.com/

ShyGuysWorld
The last community I want to mention is Shy Guy's World. This community is mainly focused on RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, and boy have they ever improved the game. There are insane amounts of custom rides and detailed scenery over there, and the community is incredibly talented.
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php

---

Thanks for hearing me out, and I hope to see all aspects of the community come together to make this a great game!

CreamyBeef
12-13-2014, 03:44 PM
I would also suggest the /r/RCTW subreddit, it hasn't been too active recently, but once RCTW comes out it it will be.

pHScale
12-13-2014, 03:59 PM
It's a bit early to tell whether /r/RCTW will sink or swim, but that's neither here nor there. They haven't been reached out to either, and they should as well.

And devs, if you're interested in some other communities that aren't specifically geared toward RCT, but have a lot of crossover, I have some recommendations there as well. For example, the communities surrounding NoLimits and general coaster enthusiasts like ACE.

dwwilkin
12-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Reaching out as PhScale says is great and a positive thing to do, but while in development, and even after, unless the franchise can support those who can search all the various sites, shouldn't we, the gamers migrate here.

An invitation as was announced yesterday to tell us all (I saw it on Steam) that there is now a place to congregate and for the devs to check and interact while this builds. I do hope that there are members of the Area 52 team who have not only played the previous versions of the game, but are fans as well and know of the sites to visit.

I don't think though we can expect them to become immersed in the RCT culture so that they are in all places and become prominent members. Even following all that is posted and said in one forum is decidely difficult, especially as the volume increases.

shyguy
12-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the mention, pHScale. As admin for shyguy's World, I agree that the developers should really check out the above mentioned sites to see just what the players are doing with the other RCT games. It should really help you to see what the fans want.

Louis
12-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Reiterating what shyguy says, thanks for the mention. For those that don't know me, I'm an admin at New Element. Again, i'll reiterate what pHScale and shyguy have said, developers and fans alike should check out the existing community sites. They are full of devoted members and fans.

pHScale
12-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Reaching out as PhScale says is great and a positive thing to do, but while in development, and even after, unless the franchise can support those who can search all the various sites, shouldn't we, the gamers migrate here.

Yes and no. If it weren't for the fact that Atari has been very insistent on advertising "we're getting the FANS' input on this one guys!" then some big members of the community probably wouldn't have felt marginalized.

An invitation as was announced yesterday to tell us all (I saw it on Steam) that there is now a place to congregate and for the devs to check and interact while this builds. I do hope that there are members of the Area 52 team who have not only played the previous versions of the game, but are fans as well and know of the sites to visit.

And that's exactly why I came and made the post I did. The community wants to help, and now we have a lead to follow in providing that help.

I don't think though we can expect them to become immersed in the RCT culture so that they are in all places and become prominent members. Even following all that is posted and said in one forum is decidely difficult, especially as the volume increases.

No, but if community input is really something they want in the development of this game, it might be worth their while to have a few social media liaisons or community managers to be able to filter through feedback from the community, and learn what we enjoy about the game and what we wish was different. I'm reaching out now to tell them we want that. So far in this thread, three admins of three separate communities have said that they would welcome Atari and Area 52 people with wide open arms.

I'm not expecting devs to become prominent members. Or even prominent members to be hired on as community managers. I'm simply hoping for some communication between the community and the developers so that the game can become really kick-ass.

Take a look at the big games now; MOBAs in particular. I've started becoming heavily involved with the game SMITE, and their community interaction is incredible. Surveys come out on reddit, their own forums, as well as third party places like Tiermonster, every patch to get community feedback on the state of the game. They have a twitch channel that streams 24/7 (ok, maybe some dead time on weekends). Developers, artists (fan and studio), youtubers, pro players, casters, dataminers, and streamers all interact within these communities, and it's seamless to jump from one to the other.

RCT right now is as close as we can get to that without having developer input. We have "pros" offering tips, trainer programmers, custom scenery and ride creaters, streamers, youtubers, and workbench designers all coming together to collaborate. The kind of interaction I see in SMITE is what I would like to see in RCTW. And we're so close to achieving it. I don't expect anyone from the development companies to instantly be immersed in the culture, but I would love if there was some kind of bridge.

RCTBeast
12-14-2014, 01:53 AM
As an ex-/r/RCT moderator myself, I would echo the statements above by suggesting that community engagement will be a critical part of selling and maintaining the whole ethos of the "World" in "RollerCoaster Tycoon World". I already think you do a fine job with Twitter and Facebook updates, but I would also echo pHScale's idea of community managers/liaisons. In my experience they can go a great way in engaging with the community and they could be greatly valued considering the more community based nature if this instalment.

I would also extend my thoughts on the importance of reaching out and engaging with not just the current core RCT fandom, but also the wider gaming community that have a vague though understandable knowledge of the mechanics of RCT. I feel that people tent to box "CORE FANS" against "NOT FANS" against "NOT GAMERS", forgetting the mid-line of players that may not be as involved in the community to have an account on the forums, for example, but own the game and have a passive interest in the game too. As I said above, I think this is already managed kind of well with the current Facebook and Twitter coverage, but it may be something to think about for the future as the game is released.

Thanks! :)

JMR
12-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Regretfully, I have never signed up to any other RCT forum, myself.

I would lurk around and create my own custom scenery for my parks. But I never used to post or share my creations. When I was 15, I then started a little blog fan site (http://rct3plus.blogspot.co.uk/), but decided not to continue as there wasn't really much activity. The RCT3 community was slowly fading.

I have been a lifelong fan of RCT. I grew up with it. I would consider myself a true fan, even though I haven't been posting on other RCT communities. I do not think it is a requirement to be a "true RCT fan," However, I think that if you have been contributing to RCT communities for a long period of time, you should definitely have some recognition for it. They are definitely the places to go to find out what people loved about the previous RCT games.

I would be disappointed if the only feedback they decide to consider would be from this forum and social media.

dwwilkin
12-14-2014, 08:47 PM
I like the link to the Reddit contest page. I used to run the Small park competition at the official forums.

I went hunting in my bookmarks folders and all my old ataricommunity bookmarks of course no longer work. We had some great parks in the Small Park Competition. Do your best, (I had a lot of rules for balance) in a park template I created that was 31 by 31.

Louis
12-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Regretfully, I have never signed up to any other RCT forum, myself.
I do not think it is a requirement to be a "true RCT fan," However, I think that if you have been contributing to RCT communities for a long period of time, you should definitely have some recognition for it.

I would be disappointed if the only feedback they decide to consider would be from this forum and social media.

Definately! You don't have to be a member of a community to be a true RCT fan, but I do think there is a point there about existing communities being regularly overlooked.

I like the link to the Reddit contest page. I used to run the Small park competition at the official forums.

I went hunting in my bookmarks folders and all my old ataricommunity bookmarks of course no longer work. We had some great parks in the Small Park Competition. Do your best, (I had a lot of rules for balance) in a park template I created that was 31 by 31.

If you like small parks check out our Micro Madness competition (http://www.nedesigns.com/forum/210/micro-madness-2014/) based around 15x15 maps, there's some great small parks there :)

CoasterMadness
12-19-2014, 09:26 PM
I think the points pHScale brought up were very good ones. If Atari or area52 do proceed to look at some of the sites mentioned above, this will be a very good game indeed.