PDA

View Full Version : absolute beginner needs tips

Piedro82
04-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Hello
I'm an absolute beginner with unity and UGC. I wanted today, just try it out.

The following example:

in unity, the stone looks like a stone.

in the game he is without texture, just white.

what I have not considered, what did I do wrong and how can I change?

So many questions, but everyone starts small i think ^^. Maybe someone can give me some tips

shirty
04-02-2016, 10:35 AM
I would guess you havnt applied the changes you made to the prefab in unity.
after you edit anything on the file you iported using the plugin you MUST click apply at the top of the inspector for it to save those edits to the prefab.
then you can press build in the RCTW plugin to export to the game
Also I wrote the wiki to help with getting started, if something in there doesnt work or doesnt make sense let me know ill make it clearer where possible. see the wiki button at the top right of the page

Piedro82
04-02-2016, 10:40 AM
I would guess you havnt applied the changes you made to the prefab in unity.
after you edit anything on the file you iported using the plugin you MUST click apply at the top of the inspector for it to save those edits to the prefab.
then you can press build in the RCTW plugin to export to the game
Also I wrote the wiki to help with getting started, if something in there doesnt work or doesnt make sense let me know ill make it clearer where possible. see the wiki button at the top right of the page

Oh man,.

Many thanks, it was so easy that it's already embarrassing.

now it works. Super! Many thanks, you're the best !

Piedro82
04-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi I have 2 more questions and thank you in advance.

First question: I have created a small wooden box. In the game you can build iz but unfortunately not delete. Did I miss a setting?
My stones, everything works. But they're also bigger.

Second question: I created a slightly larger UGC. It is successfully created using the plugin. In the Contentmanager of the game, it is not displayed.

Thanks and good night

(@Shirty good Job with wiki thanks for your hard Workshop. My english isnt the best but i try to understand ^^)

4thImpulse
04-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Hi I have 2 more questions and thank you in advance.

First question: I have created a small wooden box. In the game you can build iz but unfortunately not delete. Did I miss a setting?
My stones, everything works. But they're also bigger.

Second question: I created a slightly larger UGC. It is successfully created using the plugin. In the Contentmanager of the game, it is not displayed.

Thanks and good night

(@Shirty good Job with wiki thanks for your hard Workshop. My english isnt the best but i try to understand ^^)

1: You likely forgot to enable collision in the plugin, you can try re-enabling it or manually adding a collision box component in unity itself.

2. I can't help you there, I've had this happen before but never figured it out before it started working again...

Piedro82
04-02-2016, 08:29 PM
1: You likely forgot to enable collision in the plugin, you can try re-enabling it or manually adding a collision box component in unity itself.

2. I can't help you there, I've had this happen before but never figured it out before it started working again...

I'll check it tomorrow directly. I really thank you for the help. Very friendly
Thank you

I think that wasnt the last question

I apologize already

4thImpulse
04-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I'll check it tomorrow directly. I really thank you for the help. Very friendly
Thank you

I think that wasnt the last question

I apologize already

No need to apoligize, this what forums are for!

S1m0nde
04-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Hi!
I´ve git the same white - without texture (and added lights) problem. I read the wiki and this posz.
I have the version 5.2.4 and everything. But still I can´t apply anything. I´ll attach a screenshot.
Please help! I´tried this for more that 5 hours now :(

shirty
04-02-2016, 11:57 PM
i guess you added the box in Unity itself, i havnt tried much with with Unity primatives but i would guess that it doesnt play quite the same as using an .fbx which will generate a box collider when pushed through the plugin.
in the heirarchy panel you will have the project name listed with an arrow beside it, expand all the arrow bits of the project file.
when its expanded you see that they step inwards this is because anything stepped in is part of the thing its under
this is known as parents and children
parent is the one above, children are below

the very top parent is the actual prefab file, thats what will get used in the build process
the 1st child is the main object file mesh it has (clone) in the title, as far as im aware this is the ONLY part that will register box colliders, yes it can have more than one.
all the rest of the children are parts of the mesh, they may not exist it depends on how your fbx is constructed, having colliders at this level of hieraracy will not be used in the build process

if you have no collision on the object as in you cant move or delete it you possibly have no box collider on the 1st child the one that has (clone) in name, either you have no collider or its just too small to find. theres a page regarding changing the box collider in the wiki (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/wiki_index.php?title=Edit-Collision-Mesh)
put it simply, select the (clone) part, then check the inspector if there is no box collider press add component and type box then select box collider, you can then change the size and center values to something that roughly represents your object, if you have disabled collision in the plugin then the box will still be able to drop the object anywhere even with the box collider itll be mainly for selecting the object to delete/move.
All assets will need the collider for this reason

shirty
04-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Hi!
I´ve git the same white - without texture (and added lights) problem. I read the wiki and this posz.
I have the version 5.2.4 and everything. But still I can´t apply anything. I´ll attach a screenshot.
Please help! I´tried this for more that 5 hours now :(

hard too tell exactly what may be going wrong but i can see that you have black names in the hierarchy if a name is black it isnt saved into the prefab, it must be blue. click the prefab (the top parent) I think you have it called Ironman-light and press apply in the inspector. if that doesnt solve the problem im not sure what is wrong form just the screenshot.
I kindof doesnt look like you put it through the plugin because it has in everycase ive ever done an import added (clone) to the mesh parts name. i could be wrong on this, hard to know what exactly you have done from just a screenshot

you also dont have the box collider on the objects mesh. are you putting this through the plugin or just dropping it into the scene?

btw you can add me on steam same name, might be easier to get to the bottom of the problem on steam chat, im going to bed now though so it wont be right away