PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Medieval Castle Set made by a UGC tester!

Mattlab
03-26-2016, 02:55 PM
So I just had a super cool moment. One of our testers shared this amazing screenshot with me just now and I had to share it to all of you because I think this one shot perfectly shows some of the amazing things possible with UGC and answers a few questions - probably creates a few questions too.

Disclaimer - he asked me to say this - he has only a mid-range PC (so graphics a bit turned down) and he just wanted to show off his UGC combinations more than a perfect design of an area - still really really cool I think!

In the above shot you see a combination of UGC and in-game objects to create this pretty cool Medieval Castle scene. The tester created a Medieval Collection of Walls/Roofs/Objects that will be available at launch for all in the Steam Workshop on Wednesday! With that collection he then created this awesome scene!

Lot's of stuff going on here, so as you ask questions I will try and answer them!

Kombiice
03-26-2016, 03:07 PM
RCT 2's castle scenario confirmed? :D

Looks amazing!!

Winner1802
03-26-2016, 03:11 PM
So I just had a super cool moment. One of our testers shared this amazing screenshot with me just now and I had to share it to all of you because I think this one shot perfectly shows some of the amazing things possible with UGC and answers a few questions - probably creates a few questions too.Disclaimer - he asked me to say this - he has only a mid-range PC (so graphics a bit turned down) and he just wanted to show off his UGC combinations more than a perfect design of an area - still really really cool I think!4084In the above shot you see a combination of UGC and in-game objects to create this pretty cool Medieval Castle scene. The tester created a Medieval Collection of Walls/Roofs/Objects that will be available at launch for all in the Steam Workshop on Wednesday! With that collection he then created this awesome scene! Lot's of stuff going on here, so as you ask questions I will try and answer them!What means midrange PC?

TheMagicianThing
03-26-2016, 03:29 PM
What means midrange PC?
computers can be placed in 3 catagories
low end, mid range and high end.
low end is often cheap and not suitable for hardcore gaming
mid range, is often around the same price points as a console. can be suitable for hardcore games. but you often need to set the graphics lower than max to make it run smooth.
high end is often reffered to as the top tier and expensive. people who are able to play hardcore games on maximum settings and then some
^_^ hope this helps

TheMagicianThing
03-26-2016, 03:38 PM
Hm, mid-range the price of a console? Not really tbh.

Low-end - around $400
Mid-end - around $700
High-end - $1000 and up.
all depends on the hardware specifically :)
my sisters computer which I configured to be mid range, and installed was around 520 euro had the amd fx4300. R9 270. 8GB ram 1TB disk (500~600watt power supply) and a nice case to fit it in

Mattlab
03-26-2016, 03:44 PM
I love that this is now a thread about hardware specs and no one is asking questions about the UGC hahah makes my life easier I guess ;)

svensonic1
03-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I love that this is now a thread about hardware specs and no one is asking questions about the UGC hahah makes my life easier I guess ;)

Hehe, can coasters go through UGC made gates?
Or build kinda openings surrounding the coastertrack?

StelingDk
03-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I love that this is now a thread about hardware specs and no one is asking questions about the UGC hahah makes my life easier I guess ;) i wil make you life abit harder then, How much on the screen is made from UGC and how much is taken from the ingame builder ?

WillHD
03-26-2016, 03:49 PM

Well then, I'm sure I can think of one.
*ahem*
If you create an enclosed space (be it UGC or ingame parts), will it still be light inside or will it be dark? This is one of the problems I had with RCT3 and it seems that PC hasnt fixed it either judging by the videos I've watched.

TheMagicianThing
03-26-2016, 03:56 PM
will there be an easy way to aim spotlights via ctrl +1/2/3 and scroll wheel in the base of the game or would that be something you have to do with UGC?

Tie_Kuhn
03-26-2016, 04:09 PM
not sure if this is the right place, but what programs can you use to make UGC? Are they just CAD programs? If so can someone recommend some free software that I can design in.. I have a little CAD experience from school and would love to make some UGC

renssies
03-26-2016, 04:11 PM
not sure if this is the right place, but what programs can you use to make UGC? Are they just CAD programs? If so can someone recommend some free software that I can design in.. I have a little CAD experience from school and would love to make some UGC

You can use any program that can export objects to Unity (.fbx, .obj and more). Maya (LTD I believe) is often recommended, but costs money. I'm currently using blender, which is free but has some problems with exporting textures.

Mattlab
03-26-2016, 04:16 PM
will there be an easy way to aim spotlights via ctrl +1/2/3 and scroll wheel in the base of the game or would that be something you have to do with UGC?

Unfortunately not at launch.

You will need to do it with UGC and create different pre-angled lights for now.

Mattlab
03-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Hehe, can coasters go through UGC made gates?
Or build kinda openings surrounding the coastertrack?

They can - we don't require collision boxes on UGC anymore so yes you can do whatever you want.

The gates won't trigger (open or close) or anything but if you want a coaster to go through them sure.

Mattlab
03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Well then, I'm sure I can think of one.
*ahem*
If you create an enclosed space (be it UGC or ingame parts), will it still be light inside or will it be dark? This is one of the problems I had with RCT3 and it seems that PC hasnt fixed it either judging by the videos I've watched.

Admittedly we are still working on lighting and UGC is not a replacement for what we want to do with Piece by Piece and Darkrides but if you put UGC lights in a building it will light it up. Also you can already make almost totally dark buildings last time I checked but I personally have not tried yet! I know we are still working on it.

ncutt010
03-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Are the buildings made by piece by peice UGC objects? Or was the building imported as a whole UGC object?

ncutt010
03-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Are the buildings made by piece by peice UGC objects? Or was the building imported as a whole UGC object?

"The tester created a Medieval Collection of Walls/Roofs/Objects"

Nevermind, I think that answers my question..ha

ncutt010
03-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Are there any useful or helpful tools when building UGC buildings? Such as a grid to snap pieces to? Or an ability to share or duplicate entire structures built using ugc?

Btw the screenshot looks great!

TheMagicianThing
03-26-2016, 06:19 PM
mattlab are the path textures parallel to the park as seen in the screenshot? cause it really connects well with eachother

Nookriot
03-26-2016, 08:10 PM
This is epic! Let the creativity flow! Can't wait to see more! :D

TheMagicianThing
03-26-2016, 08:17 PM
This is epic! Let the creativity flow! Can't wait to see more! :D
Mattlab has also already given me good ideas to make creativity flow without ugc :D

SuddenStorm
03-27-2016, 12:12 AM
How difficult is it to create UGC that looks professional, and not like something out of a game from 10 years ago? Couldn't the excess of UGC mean the parks have a varying level of texture quality, polygon count, etc? I don't know much about this but this could be a concern.

Airboss
03-27-2016, 12:37 AM
How difficult is it to create UGC that looks professional, and not like something out of a game from 10 years ago? Couldn't the excess of UGC mean the parks have a varying level of texture quality, polygon count, etc? I don't know much about this but this could be a concern.
You can just download a model online of a building and use the unity plugin to import it into the game. Thats what they told us in the UGC video.

SuddenStorm
03-27-2016, 01:56 AM
You can just download a model online of a building and use the unity plugin to import it into the game. Thats what they told us in the UGC video.

How would the scaling work? Is everything size adjustable?

4thImpulse
03-27-2016, 02:10 AM
How would the scaling work? Is everything size adjustable?
Models can easily be adjusted in Unity, which is the program you will use to get them into the game. And Mattlab has said there will be a peep included for scaling objects too.

TheMagicianThing
03-27-2016, 09:44 AM
would it be possible through UGC to make peeps teleport from one path location to another? if that is possible I have some great ideas I'd love to try with stargate's from the show stargate SG1 :D

Jasler
03-27-2016, 10:24 AM
It looks awesome! Nice! Can't wait :D

would it be possible through UGC to make peeps teleport from one path location to another? if that is possible I have some great ideas I'd love to try with stargate's from the show stargate SG1 :D

I think when we can script things in custom content, that should be possible. Not sure if that is possible yet XD But if it is possible, someone needs to figure it out how to connect two objects with eachother and then check the colission. It isn't that hard I think. When it IS possible, I think I may give it a try when the game is out :)

Mattlab
03-27-2016, 12:20 PM
It looks awesome! Nice! Can't wait :D

I think when we can script things in custom content, that should be possible. Not sure if that is possible yet XD But if it is possible, someone needs to figure it out how to connect two objects with eachother and then check the colission. It isn't that hard I think. When it IS possible, I think I may give it a try when the game is out :)

No support for custom scripts at the moment. Just anything you can import along with a model using our plugin.

Jasler
03-27-2016, 12:28 PM
No support for custom scripts at the moment. Just anything you can import along with a model using our plugin.

Ahhww.... Will there be any support for scripts in the future?

Mattlab
03-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Ahhww.... Will there be any support for scripts in the future?

I think its something we can look at but no promises yet! That said I am sure you all will figure out how to hack it anyways hahah

Jasler
03-27-2016, 12:35 PM
I think its something we can look at but no promises yet! That said I am sure you all will figure out how to hack it anyways hahah
Ah okey. We will see what the future will bring. And we can allways try to get what we want right XD

Mattlab
03-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I am about to BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF when you see what one of our testers made with this castle UGC set. Standby for incoming screenshot!

Mattlab
03-28-2016, 09:42 PM
And now I present to you an AWESOME creation by one of our testers using this UGC castle set. He combined a bunch of different things to put this shot together. It actually went beyond even what I thought was possible! All the castle pieces were made by another user and that user has already made it available in the Steam Workshop for all to use! Yet another tester made the cool spotlights you see - also available to use already!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/20160329002204_1.png

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/20160329001101_1.png

RCTWLemondude617
03-28-2016, 09:46 PM
And now I present to you an AWESOME creation by one of our testers using this UGC castle set. He combined a bunch of different things to put this shot together. It actually went beyond even what I thought was possible! All the castle pieces were made by another user and that user has already made it available in the Steam Workshop for all to use! Yet another tester made the cool spotlights you see - also available to use already!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/20160329002204_1.png

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/20160329001101_1.png

Joke's on you I didn't have any socks on upon the release of these screenshots

demomode_br
03-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Wow Matt! Awesome! Is this a Skycoaster ride at the back of 1st picture? =O

TheWetDolphin
03-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Looks amazing! Also, is there different colored spotlights in the game? :)

RCTWLemondude617
03-28-2016, 09:49 PM
But seriously well done. The lighting looks really nice!

Lettuce
03-28-2016, 09:49 PM
Joke's on you I didn't have any socks on upon the release of these screenshots
Neither did I, but this screenshot still looks AMAZING! UGC is awesome! I can't wait to use this set. After a year of following this game, it sure is feeling worth it right now.:)

wesleypacman
03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
It's such a same when you have to rely on UGC to make your game look half-decent.

doubleshot
03-28-2016, 09:55 PM

I go on vacation for 1 week and now this happens!!!! HOLY CR*P that looks AWESOME!

Zerael
03-28-2016, 09:58 PM
"spotlights looks too intense for me!"

http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/uploads/emoticons/uknowit.gif

demomode_br
03-28-2016, 10:00 PM
No one cares about Skycoaster? =(

Guillermo
03-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Quite impressive!! I love the lighting: the way the gardens/rocks are illuminated, interior building light, those spotlights pointing to the roller coasters... as I ever wanted!! Looks spectacular.

And of course, that UGC castle set is beautiful, good work!

Thanks for posting!!!

Mattlab
03-28-2016, 10:15 PM
No one cares about Skycoaster? =(

Good eye! It's there!

DrSahl
03-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Looks pretty awesome tbh.
I've had my doubts about where this game were headed but update after update I've become more happy about buying it for EA.

I like how you can combine whatever pieces you want and share it.

What I would like to ask is something else but related to this.
Do we have any security using the steam workshop? I've used it for a ton of my games and in some games you really have to think before you download usermade content, so do we still have to look at the stuff or is it restrictive in any ways ? I know its often when we talk about mods that this problem arise, but in some sim games like Skylines even a custom made building could potentially hurt your game.

DinahLee
03-28-2016, 10:30 PM

U can see the "Punk peep" with crossed arms on this shoot

first peep expression we see ? n hahahahahahha

So excited for tomorrow's live

jonwil
03-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Per this statement from Mattlab, scripting is not possible right now so the risk that a custom object will cause problems with your computer (or game) is likely to be fairly low.

dwwilkin
03-28-2016, 11:55 PM
Not long now till we see where the game is at and how it compares to the previous iterations of RCT. I think it that may be the context we want to see RCTW in, how it relates as the newest part of the series, where the other game may be in the same Genre, but can be a different experience. IF RCTW feels like the next version in the series, then we can have 2 great games this year. The work in these pictures makes me think that we are heading on the right track

DrSahl
03-29-2016, 05:24 AM
Per this statement from Mattlab, scripting is not possible right now so the risk that a custom object will cause problems with your computer (or game) is likely to be fairly low.

Great thats what I wanted to know ^^

supermc
03-29-2016, 08:49 AM
If we get skycoaster before a real pendulum..

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--qw54mqZz--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/yqax0vsfgwksxfcjwazr.gif

Mattlab
03-29-2016, 10:00 AM
If we get skycoaster before a real pendulum..

Actually - you do!

supermc
03-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Actually - you do!

We have a pendulum now?
https://media.giphy.com/media/4OowbIsmYHbpu/giphy.gif

S1m0nde
03-29-2016, 10:41 AM
We have a pendulum now?
https://media.giphy.com/media/4OowbIsmYHbpu/giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzBgCtYB3Q

I guess that is known for a long time now. Don´t be scared by the motion. I think mattlab shortly announced that the movement has been improved and looks more natural now.

supermc
03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzBgCtYB3Q

I guess that is known for a long time now. Don´t be scared by the motion. I think mattlab shortly announced that the movement has been improved and looks more natural now.

I'm aware of that horrific object in the game but I'm pretty sure the team have renamed it and change the animation, I'm hoping with these new few rides added that we now have a proper pendulum.

Mattlab
03-29-2016, 11:03 AM
No the only thing I confirmed is the Sky Coster type ride ;) I was saying you do get a sky coaster

supermc
03-29-2016, 11:13 AM
No the only thing I confirmed is the Sky Coster type ride ;) I was saying you do get a sky coaster

http://s27.postimg.org/7rpmndrer/pendulumrip.jpg

4thImpulse
03-29-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm aware of that horrific object in the game but I'm pretty sure the team have renamed it and change the animation, I'm hoping with these new few rides added that we now have a proper pendulum.

You know there is a huge variety of pendulum action rides out there, the one they have now is about as realistic as I expect for the franchise (realistic in many ways while bending a few rules).

Check out this video of the famous carnival ride Evolution - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgNTg3Qd1Y

Indominus
03-29-2016, 12:12 PM
You know there is a huge variety of pendulum action rides out there, the one they have now is about as realistic as I expect for the franchise (realistic in many ways while bending a few rules).

Check out this video of the famous carnival ride Evolution - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgNTg3Qd1Y

The ride in the game moves WAY to fast.

TheMagicianThing
03-29-2016, 12:20 PM
*picture post #57
o.o I don't understand half the meme pictures you post at all

4thImpulse
03-29-2016, 05:50 PM
The ride in the game moves WAY to fast.

That is true, but at some point you have to just let the game be a game. I mean I would like to see it slowed down but there will always be another issue, even the slightest inconsistency between it and the real world to complain about. Certainly at the start of early access I wouldn't want the team to be tirelessly working on modifying all the speeds of all the rides to be slightly more realistic, there will be bigger issues at hand no doubt.